bootstripe

J/88 for single handed day sailing?

I just bought one and have hopes of being able to sail her singlehanded. Clearly J&M are not problem but wrestling with assym not on a furler may be a challenge, Looking forward to any responses. 

4 hours ago, danstanford said:

I just bought one and have hopes of being able to sail her singlehanded. Clearly J&M are not problem but wrestling with assym not on a furler may be a challenge, Looking forward to any responses. 

smaller kite like an a3 maybe?  What made you go for the 88?

It would be just fine.   Great sail plan for singlehanding.....   no jib changes, asyms, etc.

Very manageable boat to sail solo, just need a reliable auto pilot. For racing I’d use a small jib and a smaller kite 

Great boat to single hand and double-hand.  We are working on a 88 double-hand fleet for the Chicago Mac.  More details should be out soon.

19 hours ago, bootstripe said:

smaller kite like an a3 maybe?  What made you go for the 88?

Initially I loved the perfect size for all the things I want to do on her. Pretty stiff for shorthanded sailing, very fast, lots of strings to pull, and still able to race fully crewed. Currently trying to decide if getting a J2 or a reaching sail will be more important. 

My particular boat is an Oceanvolt electric boat and I am looking forward to finding the best way to expand the cruising range for those rare times you need to motor long distance. Otherwise the 20 nm range is tons for everything else I do since it is predominately from the dock to the lake for racing or daysailing. 

Dan 

Should be a great boat to sail solo.   I do a lot of single- and two-handed on my J/111 and all is easy to manage, including the big gennakers.

However,  a good auto pilot is a prerequisite!

J/88 here in annapolis "Hornet" The owner and I have double handed her easily on crewed race sails, just need to reduce earlier. The owner has also single handed her a fair bit but not raced as far as I know. He's running a B&G pilot and a SD10 cable ram, makes short handing easy. Think he rigged the boat based on the one that did shot handed transpac or pac cup a few years back.

I'd think one of the key criteria in boat spec for single or shorthanded racing is a) a boat where rail meat matters less (i.e. narrower beam all else being equal) and b) has a waterline and blades that still perform when well heeled (i.e. not a super high aspect fin).      The 88 (and most new J's generally) meet the former, and somewhat on the latter.  Possibly a more classic lined boat like a J92S is even more an optimal single-hander?

A J/88 completed the Singlehanded TransPac a few years ago.