IanA.

Young and Full of Promise

Hi Guys,

At the beginning of the summer I came across something quite special hiding in a old fishing harbor in Zeeland. Just my luck, it was for sale as the current owners(4 college buddies) were in over their heads with the level of devotion a boat like this needs and deserves.

So we bought it decided to sail it, as is, for the summer to learn her ways and figure out what underlying issues might exist. By the end of the summer, we had a long list of to-do's so we put the boat in the shed for a 6 month  refit. I had her weighed, rig and boom off but sails/cushions/misc. crap still on board and came out to 2440kgs. Lighter then what she was rated for(2876kgs.) but still to heavy. The complete mast(sparcraft) with standing and running rigging came to 111.5 kgs(fucking heavy) and the boom was 38 kgs.(also mind boggling).

So the work has started already with the stripping of all hardware. So far I have removed about 32kgs of deck hardware/fasteners(including winchs, hatches, etc.)  My aim is to put back less then half of that.

The rough list as follows:

New carbon rig in hybrid standard/high modulus(30kgs bare tube, with rigging weights to be confirmed)

New Carbon boom, already build but needs fit out(16kgs bare tube) E measurement shortened from 5.4 meters to 5.0

Updated winch package from lewmar, roughly half the weight of the old style harken winches

General deck hardware upgrade, jammers, cleats, blocks, etc.. mix of harken, karver and spinlock. 

Deck repair and reinforcement, there was some delam issues that I will address and then do a full deck re-paint and non skid.

Fold out foot rests (titanium tubing) for helmsman to replace giant fixed stainless steel ones that take up the entire cockpit

Interior, removal of several no structural items that are just heavy and pointless. Full repaint.

Electronics and intsruments/full tear out and replacement

Completely new bottom, needs to go back to carbon. Planning to use VC17m extra with Tar2 barrier

New gori folding prop if I have any money left and of course some new sails

I am planning to remove the genoa tracks, Should able to rock about 110% jib due to the massive spreader sweep. I will move the diagonals attachment point outboard next to the vertical chainplate.  I already added a longer bow sprit over the summer. Will refine the bearing system.

Anything else I should try and tick off?

image.png.dd9a8515f6f689dad9e47d7a0d75fbd2.png

rocket31.jpg

zapata sailing.jpg

Zapata02.jpeg

zapata mast.jpg

file1-6.jpeg

file-7.jpeg

file2-4.jpeg

8 hours ago, IanA. said:

I will move the diagonals attachment point outboard next to the vertical chainplate. 

Why? when you have D in and the others out the passage to the bow it's easier. give it a spin!

BTW nice boat!!

9 hours ago, badia420 said:

Why? when you have D in and the others out the passage to the bow it's easier. give it a spin!

BTW nice boat!!

Thanks guys!

I'm changing the chainplate location mostly for loading and some downstairs ergonomics. The D's attached just next to the coach roof and about 65% of the way forward from the V chainplate. There was a tie-rod arrangement below deck that transferred the load to the keel structure. It was all to heavy and took up usable space down below.

Other benefits are less compression on the rig at the spreader joint which means less laminate needed as well as the rigging loads themselves will come down. All the original rigging was -10 rod except for the cathedrals(masthead diagonals) which was -8. A lot of this can be refined.

The boat is just over 3.8 meters wide so I will find a way to get forward ;) 

You can see the chainplate locations below. 

image.thumb.png.cd8fffe61969c77c402739c86f7d42e1.png

image.png.8be8e75780a9fe55561cb217df1f6b63.png

There is supposedly some good photos in the thread here but I can't see them. Tried to create an account to view but they aren't accepting new members and my emails to the site have not been answered. 

http://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic/16937-jim-young-rocket-31/

These boats are quite cool and have a pretty unique history. Looking forward to getting the Zapata back into true racing form. Was interested in the HP30 circuit in the UK but we are a touch over length. Could take a little off the transom...

Getting transits and a bunch of other data like must bury, DWL referenced from keel step, etc..

Happy to say the boat seems very symmetrical P/S.  Nearly have all the deck hardware off and then back filling starts. And then my favorite thing ever, sanding!

file1-2.thumb.jpeg.4ff0ab7c101561ebd90f767fe18215dc.jpegfile-3.thumb.jpeg.abdafc494ab06257f698b2bdb6de236c.jpeg

image.thumb.png.2639ed1d45f9c79356e7ee9953bee9d4.png

Deck is nearly cleared. Still find it a bit ridiculous how wide this boat is for only 9 meters long.

Also, I have a leftover melges 40 spreader(next to the level in the photo) that I want to mount vertically on center-line to run the aft lifelines through as well as provide a mounting point for the stern light, gps and VHF whip. Not sure yet how I will make the base..

file-4.jpeg

On 11/1/2019 at 7:54 PM, nota said:

what is going rate for a carbon mast of 30 kg bare tube and the boom ?

No such thing as a going rate. I am a bit busy to chase quotes for you. Just email some mast makers with more info about your needs and you will get some numbers.

• Like 1

Started stripping the old bottom. Removed sunken section of the foredeck that was rotted out. Terrible idea to have sunken section that collects water and cannot drain, cored with Balsa(rest of deck seems to be foam) and sloppily mount a bow cleat. Will use this opportunity to re-do some of the bowsprit structure and then close up with a carbon/foam panel. Got the aft deck sanded back and started back filling with pro-set adv-276. Still lots more sanding to go but nice to get some of it going.

image.thumb.png.ad5945350875a38feb38c514436a3f75.png

file6-2.jpeg

file4-3.jpeg

file7-2.jpeg

file3-3.jpeg

Is this the Carbon Rocket built somewhere down past Plymouth in the UK,..... possibly two from moulds....there was an two articles, in after the other on four progressive 31 foot yacht designs .... if I recall .  Merfyn Owen's  Maverick . ...707......??  and the Young

I've been piecing together the history but there are still a few blank spots. This is what I think I know(corrections happily received):

The Rocket 31 design was around in NZL/AUS before these versions were built. I guess at some point the idea was had to make a production run in the UK. Camp Freddy was launched as an all out racer with no interior and sailed as such. Viva Zapata was next and came with a Kiwi style family cruising interior(Simple, practical, nothing more then you need). These were built at Cygnus? or Signus? Marine/Boat Yard/ Shop?  Some years later another was built, unsure by who. It was for sale in the UK and the listing is still floating around with photos. Viva Zapata, now just Zapata was brought over to the Netherlands by a potato farmer turned marine surveyor. I believe he completed a large refit on the boat at that time which included adding the bowsprit tube and some other heavy additions. His work quality seemed up there, only that it was all to heavy for me(Stainless backing plates, handrails, other odds and ends)

I am re-doing a lot of this work but in a lighter and more practical(modern) fashion as well as making up for the years that this boat sat neglected and un-maintained. I've got to get cracking because we have wedding to attend on the Solent next summer that i'd promised we'd sail over for. Back to the fine art of dust making.

I heard a story once that old man Jim used to take different frozen fish and tow them behind his boat while monitoring the line load and general hydrodynamic behaviors. I can't remember exactly which fish it was that he supposedly liked the most but it was some species of tuna. He then cut cross sections of that fish to reference bulb shapes for his boats. 

Now I just always though of this story as one of the many "great myths and rumors" that float around our small world. But as i'm standing here scraping this keel clean, I can't help think this bulb looks exactly like an damn albacore! Hmm.. 

IMG_4025.JPG

IMG_4026.JPG

• Like 1

VC17? is this going in a lake? I thought that stuff was only for fresh water, but maybe it's different up there in the 'Dams.

If it's going in the ocean, consider black widow if you can get it. It's been very durable for me over the past 3 seasons.

Cool boat, great work, can't wait to see more pics of it sailing.

9 hours ago, ryley said:

VC17? is this going in a lake? I thought that stuff was only for fresh water, but maybe it's different up there in the 'Dams.

If it's going in the ocean, consider black widow if you can get it. It's been very durable for me over the past 3 seasons.

Cool boat, great work, can't wait to see more pics of it sailing.

It says Extra in the name so must be good right?

https://international-yachtpaint.com/en/gb/boat-paint-products/antifouling/vc-17m-extra

But yeah its a bit of an experiment. I went with the VC17m extra because its a system I've worked with the most and had the best results with in the past. (there are other variations with the VC designation which have different purposes)

I'm new to this specific area so not a lot of personal experience on the general fouling situation. The locals are all a bit depressed since Holland changed the rules on what can be in the paint. I bought my cans in Hamburg, probably doesn't make a difference but it feels better which counts I guess. 

I will keep you posted next spring on how she goes.

• Like 1

Fiddling with the boom. Shortening the E measurement from 5.4 to 5.0m and pushing the sail area up in the effort to gain a straighter leach. The old boom hung over the transom so I am okay if the new one is just in line. 

image.thumb.png.16ec7fccd64ca9d4b7fcc661dc7ae900.pngimage.thumb.png.7c86fa9d7720e014631f88c1ff75e3b0.png

image.png.a73c4a7d840131a3d39814216d2f7ffd.png

image.thumb.png.51ff5dfc020f37d371a21bb5d1b9f9aa.png

11 hours ago, IanA. said:

Fiddling with the boom. Shortening the E measurement from 5.4 to 5.0m and pushing the sail area up in the effort to gain a straighter leach. The old boom hung over the transom so I am okay if the new one is just in line. 

image.thumb.png.16ec7fccd64ca9d4b7fcc661dc7ae900.pngimage.thumb.png.7c86fa9d7720e014631f88c1ff75e3b0.png

image.png.a73c4a7d840131a3d39814216d2f7ffd.png

image.thumb.png.51ff5dfc020f37d371a21bb5d1b9f9aa.png

Nice. Straighter leech with more control/less drag. Going with a fat head main?

Absolutely in love with my sanding equipment. Having done these jobs before with under powered/undersized machines really makes you appreciate a good setup. Im sure my neighbors aren't too keen on the dust cloud though...not to mention the massive junk pile that has accumulated underneath

IMG_4033.thumb.JPG.5ed30cd98d6bdd9a2fa27127a4d89ded.JPGIMG_4032.thumb.JPG.e87b48430ab1e610794f292bc3f865a0.JPG

image.thumb.png.a2f4ab43c2613b76467ee9daec0d8b84.png

image.thumb.png.be609ddadf78a812631911e99d9ec4ec.png

13 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

Nice. Straighter leech with more control/less drag. Going with a fat head main?

Yeah twist control is everything and was seriously lacking for this boat. Shortening the E 400mm and pushing that area up should make a positive difference for uphill speed.

Working on a 2 mainsail program, inshore&offshore. Planning the go with the HS22 track system http://www.antal.it/eng/HS22-330_en 

Inshore main will have a bolt rope and offshore with sliders. Will probably build the offshore version first and see if I will actually need any more sail area. I am expecting the boat to float a bit higher next summer and I am curious how that will affect her initial hull form stability. 

Original pin head main measured in at 40m2 even.

Sail Plan 1.PNG

Sailplan 2.PNG

Good one Ian mate . The rockets are all parked up in Auckland growing shit . Great to see you reviving zapata  , Hard case you found it in old Zeeland 

Got the whole team in the shop, making progress on stripping back the bottom paint. Got half of the folding prop removed, the other half has stripped out allen heads which is proving a challenge..

Other then the normal boat work slog, we are trying to finalize the rig/laminate design so I know exactly how much carbon I need to order and pay for.  

IMG_4173.JPG

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 7:01 AM, IanA. said:

It says Extra in the name so must be good right?

https://international-yachtpaint.com/en/gb/boat-paint-products/antifouling/vc-17m-extra

But yeah its a bit of an experiment. I went with the VC17m extra because its a system I've worked with the most and had the best results with in the past. (there are other variations with the VC designation which have different purposes)

I'm new to this specific area so not a lot of personal experience on the general fouling situation. The locals are all a bit depressed since Holland changed the rules on what can be in the paint. I bought my cans in Hamburg, probably doesn't make a difference but it feels better which counts I guess. 

I will keep you posted next spring on how she goes.

I use vc17 in the uk north sea.   Full sand down and then apply in April. Lift out mid season,  light sand down and reapply with a single coat. 

Needs a good barrier coat,  eg vc tar. All old antifoul needs to be completely removed,  otherwise it reacts and doesn't take. 

Biggest problem is if you don't like it,  has to be completely removed before applying a different anti foul. 

Great thread Ian and looks like you are doing a serious refit. I always had a soft spot for the Rocket 31. I remember reading about Camp Freddie in old Irish sailing magazines. I remember seeing your boat advertised in Holland a good few years ago and I think I daydreamed about buying it and taking it offshore. 
The fat head main will be a nice mod. You may need to balance out headsail size as the older design had a very long boom. 
Seeing as you are putting her on a diet you should look at replacing blocks with thimbles, low friction rings, soft shackles, etc. 
looking forward to seeing the finished boat 

I remember Freddie from the east coast back in the day. Tormented the elderly Essex boys in their big fat cruising boat's when the breeze was up. Pretty well sailed that said.

Is this the boat that dropped it's rig on the way to Ireland for Cork one year? To be fair it was a pretty fresh trip if I remember correctly.

Great boat. Should be a fantastic ride when she's all prettied up.

Was a slow start to 2020 with some work and family obligations but cracking back into it with some good speed now. Still in the destructive stage of the process, sanding, cutting, stripping, etc.. Making lots of dust.

Got every single hole reamed and back filled. Nearly 2 full tubes of pro-set adv 275. I did get around to fixing some suspect de-lam areas i was finding over the summer. Ended up being just between to upper skin of the deck and the foam core. I just drilled 6mm holes around the area and filled up inside with holes abut 12 mm apart. Used the pro-set gun with the self mixing nozzle and just squeezed as hard as I could until the glue would start coming out another hole. Did this the whole way around these areas and now it all seems rock solid. Lets hope it lasts.

image.png.64a6ba26388ab21d402b04b0469e7cbc.png

image.png.1308d7a91e9a615e76b2b7f86aad7da7.png

image.png.fe4d3d94e0a8d4c95a094b52463f3aed.png

image.png.7bb990daec099f960631d6e23e91cbe7.png

image.png.eeca0ad2f4fa770fa4a716b46999dae9.png

image.png.c121b03b6bc7713f205582a5f04e0c25.png

image.png.aba191168899f9f205bea7e9c41a7b32.png

Also went and ripped out all the electricals that didn't seem crucial including all the old raymarine instrumentation. It seemed like all the previous owners would just keep adding their own stuff in without removing anything they replaced. Found a lot of dead ends and strange things. Anyways the boat is another 8+kgs. lighter now in that regard. Will put in a simple triton system with 2 displays for now and maybe down the road add a processor and some 10/10s on the mast. For now I just want to get the boat light and simple and can slowly bring on the complexity of systems as we figure out what we need.

Also if anyone wants 4 working ST60 diplays, 2 analog display, working MHU, speed sensor, other assorted/related stuff let me know. Happy to donate to a worthy cause. 

6EF67986-2234-43BF-B2BE-51A29DC8048B.thumb.JPG.a33f836a99d125e9b99e75045637df40.JPG83075EEC-F9F2-4F92-BE2D-B32C28DB59CE.thumb.JPG.7a481695191b7bc3d0eeb52f2d48c7d0.JPGimage.png.d90e083d36cf7493b156587fd6174b28.png

BCD2AE3D-33CC-486E-B6C9-188DDA0C2987.JPG

• Like 1

Started beefing up the collar area. Intention is to get rid of needing any tie-rods for the halyard loads and to also fix some core/laminate damage in the area. Bogged on a piece of 25mm marine ply with west HD filler/chopped glass. Now that its set, I need to sand it all back and will laminate(lapped on the sides, fore/aft)  2 layers 400g carbon biax with 200g cloth over the top. And maybe also a light layer of glass as the final..

On the inside, will cut a 3mm c-plate backer which the bolts from the alloy deck collar will fasten through from the top essentially clamping the whole structure. 

Okay so I know this is not the lightest way to go. I've been losing sleep over the extra 1.5 kg. i'm adding using the plywood vs. 80kg divinycell that I have some 35mm sheets of. But I am certain the added structure here is key and will come into play with the new stiffer rig. 

Anyways I know it all looks a bit poo at the moment. It will look better after some rounds of sanding and laminate. Don't be too judgmental yet. 

IMG_4470.thumb.JPG.ff96bb4c22e03e330f268080c38bf2c6.JPGIMG_4469.thumb.JPG.dca52ed6dcac5e2938ec49cf60598af1.JPGIMG_4461.thumb.JPG.da0cb3cea00cf363a0fb4edf779829c6.JPG

Plugged up the old instrument holes. Need to get the dust suit back on and know back all the back filled holes. Should make the deck not look like a rorschach test.

Also finally found the depth transducer. Sounds silly but some asshole built the whole toilet structure over it using shitty plywood and 5200. End up ripping out the short fore/aft vertical wall and found several liters(liters=kgs.) of old poo water plus some unidentifiable solids. After vomiting in my dust mask, I hacked the transducer (5200 into the hull with no housing) out and let it all drain out into a garbage can under the boat. 

Will keep the teak and holly veneer toilet floor for now. Will leave it open underneath and just clean up the edge of the wood with a round over bit on the hand router. I'm removing all the layers of whatever that have been put down on the bilge/floor. Will just put down some grey Interdeck for now. Maybe next year we look at some Raptor deck options since my brother works there and can snag me a deal..

IMG_4463.thumb.JPG.9c1b2b9874a307ce05aecdc82fcb8eb4.JPG

IMG_4464.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

IMG_4466.JPG

IMG_4468.JPG

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 1:02 PM, oioi said:

I use vc17 in the uk north sea.   Full sand down and then apply in April. Lift out mid season,  light sand down and reapply with a single coat. 

Needs a good barrier coat,  eg vc tar. All old antifoul needs to be completely removed,  otherwise it reacts and doesn't take. 

Biggest problem is if you don't like it,  has to be completely removed before applying a different anti foul. 

I am starting to second guess myself about the bottom paint. Partly because its been a hell mission stripping the old bottom and i'm only 15% of the way through. I can't bear the thought of going through this again anytime soon if the VC Extra turns out to not be effective enough. I am leaning now towards International Ultra 300 since its still hard and can be burnished. 

https://international-yachtpaint.com/en/gb/boat-paint-products/antifouling/ultra-300

On 12/21/2019 at 1:01 PM, European Bloke said:

I remember Freddie from the east coast back in the day. Tormented the elderly Essex boys in their big fat cruising boat's when the breeze was up. Pretty well sailed that said.

Is this the boat that dropped it's rig on the way to Ireland for Cork one year? To be fair it was a pretty fresh trip if I remember correctly.

Great boat. Should be a fantastic ride when she's all prettied up.

Hoping to do some justice to the legacy that Camp Freddie established once we get the Zapata back on her feet. Im really struggling to find much history on the boat before she reached mainland europe so im not sure if she's dropped here rig before. The sparcraft stick i'm replacing is sleeved from just above the boom gooseneck, down to the base. But no sign of breakage on the outer sectrion from what I can see. But its possible to hide a good weld I guess. 

Would be good to know more about the Zapata/Rocket 31 history if anyone knows anything..

Pretty sure my neighbors hate me at this point because of all the dust, noise and cussing going on in my area.

The sanding never ends...

image.png.03bb0b0c55d0fda58a16f9db34cde448.pngIMG_4472.thumb.JPG.4900d08eb297d7e2afbe2543852aaf82.JPG6C629845-2F8E-48E4-B9F9-2ABB451626C1.thumb.JPG.5f1a3a4c5e4d12c7c966a76f5a7bd601.JPG

Got my first scolding from the shed owner for making to much dust and annoying my neighbors. 

I’m not happy about it either but the shits got to be smooth. Time for the green fairing compound. 

CC232DAA-6692-43EC-B579-6100C779607D.jpeg

B2C1A91F-50FC-4E7A-B841-090D0AAC0DFD.jpeg

8505F239-A161-43F1-B37C-0D92060E8A9F.jpeg

• Like 1

Got some brown stuff on now(Awlfair surfacing filler). The experts will say i'm not using this product quite right but I've had luck in the past for minor thickness filling like this. Anyways I had a tub of it so i'm trying to use what I got. Once this is all sanded back, will roll on some ultrabuild primer. Then hopefully one round of filling and sanding again on top of that(will probably take two passes) and then the 545 can go on. 

IMG_4485.thumb.JPG.30891066c8f91d7f845a312aa76f7175.JPG

Also finally got back into the bow/crash locker "situation". Been putting it off but it would be a bit silly to have the whole boat faired up with this massive hole in the deck. Bonding some C-plate flanges around the perimeter for support. Will try to strip-plank some HD foam strips and sort of tack them together with some fast set glue and then remove the whole things to laminate the underside. Then drop back into place on the flanges, do some shaping to blend into the deck profile before the outer skin goes on. 

IMG_4483.thumb.JPG.d295ca87bcb3bfda6b584cda9ade15e7.JPGIMG_4482.thumb.JPG.4ac6cb201319e6fba31fe09a4f338b58.JPGIMG_4486.thumb.JPG.c161c0983df2c50b661f0189da1e571a.JPG

It all looks a bit sloppy I know. Some more sanding will do her good.

Mast design is ongoing. We started by just modelling the original stick dimensions on the new section and updating the hardware/positions to suit the modern sail plan we're chasing. We still need to run the lam calcs but i'm fairly certain we will go to 2 spreaders and move the hounds up. Will probably stay close to the same Jib luff length though and look at some square head options there depending on the amount of sail area we have to play with.

Pretty keen on the MH0/FR0 setup, the runners will be either just above or just below there and then a small GS for power reaching. Funny that the new bowsprit is nearly longer then the foredeck itself. 

image.png.ed1969b9d857b9e0bf9959537dc606f4.png

• Like 1

Liking the sail plan. Chain-plates staying at original location? Agree on 2 speaders, the Zeros pull hard on the tip!

Well the outline for the main and kite were just drawn in quickly as place holders and not actually representing any true sail areas.  

This is probably more realistic of where we will end up though i'm waffling a bit on the bowsprit arrangement. In sub-planning conditions I think the boat is a bit penalized on down wind angles with a center lined tack. I think I will include provisions for a spin pole attachment(still for A-sails) on the mast and then see how we get on. It might be with the all the weight reductions that this isn't needed but I like to have options.

image.png.30f9cd8e93187773eb8097b5dc0570a1.png

This is an off-cut of the mast section I'll be using. This was from the bottom of a different project so the wall thickness is a bit more then i'll probably end up with. I'm quite a fan of this profile shape as generally its much stiffer and has slightly better aero gains then a more tear drop profile. Also just gives me enough space to fit the HS22 track from antal on the back.

IMG_4496.JPG

IMG_4497.JPG

IMG_4498.JPG

Was able to convince my old man to visit for couple weeks and lend some much needed support. Powering through on fairing the deck back as well as ticking off the other needed structural work. Got the mast collar cut out to its final shape and started building up the lip using c-plate which eventually will help to waterproof this area with a flexible neoprene sleeve which will allow for movement in this area. Will then lay down laminate over the plywood structure(400g, 200g twill). And then tape the outside of the c-plate down onto that.

image.png.4ba2ae317df896d9c4ab8d7b00bfea5b.pngIMG_4504.thumb.JPG.c204c1c29623a193413a57ccf42b65ba.JPG

IMG_4510.JPG

Also have made some progress on the deck replacement in the bow area. It looks a bit sloppy i'm sure but there is a method to this. Almost done with the support flanges which has proven a bit tricky to glue and laminate from underneath. I made a template of the shape of the opening and transferred onto a piece of 20mm 80kg foam and then laminated the underside with 400g biax and then 200mm wide plain weave tape in a cross. The overlap is where he antal T-lock will be mounted which will serve as a bowline attachment point. T-lock is because I can remove it for racing and keep the deck smooth.

Once I have the flanges done, the idea is to glue down the foam panel, maybe using some ratchet straps around the hull for compression. Will then try and tape it underneath via the inspection hatch of the forward bulkhead. Then I will try to shape the top of the exposed foam as best as possible to match the deck profile but then a bit deeper. And then of course top laminate and then a shit ton of fairing and sanding until it looks good enough. 

This wasn't part of the original budget schedule we put together at the beginning since I had no idea they used balsa for this one part and that it was completely rotted/waterlogged. It needs to be sorted and for sure I am happy we are taking this on.

So we are having to reassess the launch date because of this and a few other factors that have come into play. Nothing major and we are keen to not have this project drag out but reality is that to do the job right, you need to take the time for it and I don't want to spend next winter doing re-work because we skipped some steps. 

image.png.80b4c98a1afad103eca31d09d3faf775.png

image.png.bc8be4c6d3cd1e4fce915f3d8582994b.png

IMG_4518.JPG

IMG_4512.JPG

Plugging away. Got plastic up around the underside in preparation for the great bottom paint removal/battle that will commence again soon. Mast collar is coming together. Needs some laminate still but felling confident it should handle the shock loads when the rig falls to leeward.

655EAA7E-A81C-4FA5-B823-3C0E614AC10A.thumb.JPG.a16a5f58683d9037d0b4fa67c352a156.JPG

Mast collar is coming together. Needs some laminate still but felling confident it should handle the shock loads when the rig falls to leeward.

IMG_4521.thumb.JPG.402ddfb1927e43bed68d7a5e4b3db559.JPG

Also finally made some headway on the sail drive. Was a bit of a disaster due to lack of maintenance. Blasted all the corrosion out of the pits and brought back to shiny metal before using a self etching primer followed quickly with 2 coats of high build. I've now filled around the whole strut and will start sanding back to try and re make a smooth shape. Once happy with that it will get barrier coated and some form of correct anti-foul for aluminum struts(still undecided)

image.png.b8e25bf8f0dcdf7793f72b1b6824b865.png

Hoping to get 545 on the deck today which should feel like a nice accomplishment and make it a bit easier to focus on the few remaining low spots that still exist. Just looking forward mostly to get it all one solid color.

image.png.dd168cf22f6bfc1a6ca4a0eac694ad16.png

Nice work Ian. Keep on posting the progress!

Boat looks good Ian.  Keep up the work, I'm following this thread.  All the best to your family from the Winterbottoms

Took a while with the 2 of us just using 100mm mohair rollers. Not sure why I thought that was a good idea and my back is killing me. The results are pretty outstanding though(relative to my own standards, yours may vary).

The cold-cure thinned out the 545 a bit more then I would have liked, I mixed in 10% of the total paint volume(says 12% is max.). Could have done less as it ended up a bit warmer then forecast and we took the next day off to let it fully cure and do some other shopping for the boat. Will have to roll a full second coat after the next round of filling/fairing. 

And we finally settled on the deck scheme of white on white(non-skid to shiny). Awl-grip Snow White to be specific and for the non skid part we will maybe use a matting additive but might do some test pieces first to be sure. 

IMG_4554.thumb.JPG.d367a4daa57bd884b0cd20537e27b057.JPGIMG_4553.thumb.JPG.1c448c45c6812d2240fb89549d081a14.JPGIMG_4557.thumb.JPG.095f43985314c913da60e6074e9b0b2e.JPG

IMG_4547.thumb.JPG.00064b31dcda860cab6eb13492d289bb.JPG

Got a basic Triton2 system in with 2 displays and the rest of the standard pieces. Will add things down the road but this is a good starting point. I am not in a big rush to get this installed and would have been nice to wait on spending the money but I needed the thru-hull housing. There is a nice round hole in the bottom of the boat that I would like to sort out.

image.png.b9f84b212e87ccb073da55277acac0b6.png

Also, finally got some laminate on the foredeck trough. 600g biax, 250g uni, 100g s-glass twill.

Was planning to also run taping onto the vertical carbon flanges of the mast collar but the remaining resin was warming in the hand and decided to get the peel-ply on and finished. Was thinking always to bag this but it was looking a bit complex around the forehatch and collar openings and then realized a bit to late that I am low on pump oil. I used an old fiberglass roller on each layer to really squish it down and told myself that because its a flat, non-complex surface that just using peel ply is okay. 

IMG_4556.thumb.JPG.0514021dd19dc62c853b4ba2cf781bcb.JPGIMG_4558.thumb.JPG.5e6026f44e67f2f9c45c38d60d44817b.JPGIMG_4559.thumb.JPG.10505067eafcfb166a81d0cecc9f4564.JPGIMG_4560.thumb.JPG.9ce7a1a54852263bb72d47dff034289b.JPGIMG_4561.thumb.JPG.9fce20ac8752a962d60a5ace64802769.JPGIMG_4562.thumb.JPG.474367a854f066f25782d3e30d78d600.JPG

Got the big hole in the front plugged up finally. Used some big ratchet straps to force some bend into it. Got it closer to the original deck curve then what I was expecting. Will still take some fairing on the edges and filling in the middle. Looking forward to getting some carbon on this. 

image.png.c4d24bd9d21111b4cc9a042786759a53.pngimage.png.c9579db4bf9b61a24d2c5c13ac5d5ad8.png

IMG_4565.thumb.JPG.d0a095a69b5ccbb3a493788735257c4c.JPG

Done a few more round of filling and fairing on the strut. It won't be as good as new but definitely a big step from where it was. Next is to shape and bond on the carbon fairing.

IMG_4566.thumb.JPG.b11fdb2ec194dd81530558027e0cf4ef.JPG

On 2/15/2020 at 10:30 PM, Jkdubz808 said:

Boat looks good Ian.  Keep up the work, I'm following this thread.  All the best to your family from the Winterbottoms

Thanks Jesse, there seems to be a trend in my family for finding and resurrecting classic kiwi designs. You must have the bug from your family's old Lidgard. Time for a new boat/project finally?

8 hours ago, IanA. said:

Thanks Jesse, there seems to be a trend in my family for finding and resurrecting classic kiwi designs. You must have the bug from your family's old Lidgard. Time for a new boat/project finally?

We have a 19 foot center console I have been re-doing for a few years now.  She's almost done.  Kiwi designs are hard to find here in south Florida, but I have been trying to keep track of any Ross or Elliots (not necessarily Kiwi boats but little rockets nonetheless) around the SE that I could maybe snatch up as a project boat.  I've always got my eyes open for whats on the market.  

Can't wait to see the finished product mate!

Struggling with the anti-foul. I brought in the air compressor, 150mm hard base R/O palm sander and 40 grit abranet disks expecting to knock some paint off. Instead the paint just gummed up the disks instantly. Tried all different speeds and pressures but nothing worked. I got the carbide hand scraper back out and was able to work 1 square foot area at a time mostly through the barrier coat and then use the air sander to fair into the base gelcoat. This ended up looking nice but its incredibly labor intensive and no way feasible to attack the whole bottom like this. 

Its as if the paint is to hard to scrap but to soft to sand. I feel like I am down to 2 options. Option 1 is use Chemical stripper with plastic to at least remove the antifoul and various layers of barrier coat. Then fair off whatever remains back to the gelcoat. Option 2 is spend 3k+ euros to get the hull soda blasted but I am having a hard time stomaching that cost. 

Anyways I became so frustrated that I needed to work on something else so started cleaning up the bulb. Nearly back to full lead except the really deep pits still full of bog. Needs a touch more sanding, then coat with some 545 to see better the highs an lows. Then template, fair, prime, repeat until I am happy or just give up.

IMG_4570.JPG

IMG_4571.JPG

The reason I am able to spend so much time dicking around with boat stuff is because my amazing wife taken most of the burden managing our 5 month old. There not always a lot of projects the three of us can do together(health and safety reasons) but we do occasionally get the odd fun project that doesn't make us feel too bad as parents. 

When we first started on the demolition of the boat, I ripped off all the old companionway teak pieces as well as the 15 kilo sliding hatch/hood. I didn't know what we would replace it with but I knew it could be that again. After some thought, we decided to go for a fixed hood forward of the hatch opening which a flat sliding hatch would then slide into when opened. The original sliding hood looked like a good shape to use since its already somewhat fitted to the deck curve. So its become a male tool for the lighter fixed version. Used 2x 400g biax, 2x 250g twill, 1x 100g s-glass twill. Should be stiff enough for its purpose. Should have probably bagged it but our little one decided she'd had enough of watching us work and needed some more attention for herself. Happy enough with how it turned out, just needs some trimming and paint.

image.png.b89dbb042011c7080b5ee57527748b83.png

image.png.cb5ed4901c8047ee3bb9255c30d363ad.png

image.png.8cbd7ec2be2f75f039f902518620e838.png

image.png.481543aa0f2f8cbb9666759798810c8b.png

image.png.3ea74c1bd3a1baf207637bb0aeafc655.png

• Like 1

took them neighbors long enough to figure out plastic wrap ...

9 hours ago, Mid said:

took them neighbors long enough to figure out plastic wrap ...

IMHO the guy creating the dust should be the one covering his working area..

But i Guess it depends on the shed owner, and the contract...

Nice work with the boat IANA... Theese build threads are always inspiring. Keep going!

This company i'm with owns various sheds around the industrial park. Some are heated and meant for storage only. I'm in the boatyard shed which isn't heated and where the serious winter works are happening. The rule is to keep dust down and always use a vacuum. There is only so much protection I can manage for all the deck sanding I was doing. The underside is tented.

Dust happens. I like this shed because people get things done in here. And my neighbors don't hate me completely, we keep each other motivated through the hard parts and share a laugh when the day gets long. 

Been a bit full on this last month with starting a new job and the whole global pandemic thing. Its definitely thrown a wrench in our initial planning but luckily we still have full access to our boat and are able to keep working.

The bow area is nearly there now. Just a lot of fairing involved to match the deck curve and blend it all in like nothing was there.

IMG_4683.JPG

IMG_4691.JPG

IMG_4692.JPG

IMG_4717.JPG

So yeah a few layers to get it right and nearly there I think. Hopping to get some high build on this weekend and then its caught up more or less with the rest of the deck.

image.png.85a4f8798d73156de51fca0bbf130c9f.png

image.png.fb394d297903334f6865201797d5b025.pngIMG_4751.thumb.JPG.d40f857ba350a477a263b1b8ec367cbf.JPGIMG_4785.thumb.JPG.c023a8b372a320b5edb2a0010dbf18f5.JPG

What did you decide on for stripping the bottom paint off? 
Hate to say it, spend the cash on the soda blast and forget about it as soon as possible. You’ll get the best results at the end of the day and feel happy about it. 

Made some headway on the new sliding hatch. Used 20mm corecell and then a 0 and a 90 of 300g Uni with some 200g woven over the top. Its all probably a bit overkill now since it can hold the missus with the baby and dog without any deflection. Still less then half the weight of the original coming in at 5.7 kgs untrimmed. Theres some filling and fairing to do but don't expect it to be much more then that all said and done. Now just need to figure out the slider situation....

IMG_4719.thumb.JPG.acca44b101b1b3163b1be076c6a98e3e.JPG

image.png.6039c1d5e7f37723dac92056b3a084d8.pngIMG_4727.thumb.JPG.94e5721040490afca69da7927c088013.JPG

image.png.3c3a19b96ab051a9ac6b7dc054054848.png

image.png.aecf539410534f20777819649c5484a0.png

13 minutes ago, mad said:

What did you decide on for stripping the bottom paint off? 
Hate to say it, spend the cash on the soda blast and forget about it as soon as possible. You’ll get the best results at the end of the day and feel happy about it. 

Funny you should ask..

I think your advice is worthwhile and I should have gone that route from the beginning. Im in to deep now though so just going to take this one on the chin and get through it. I've got new chemicals which are working much better at actually separating the layers of barrier coat from the gelcoat. Also got some fancy Japanese scrapers that work heaps better then the Bahco style one I was struggling with. Also found that warmer air help as the shed has been fairly cool through the winter. Once the deck is more squared away, I will get back to the bottom(1-2 months) when the air temp is more helpful. Also if the quarantine is lifted by then, I can maybe convince some others to join in on the fun..  

image.png.0c8367709fde458aab2a5cb44da40893.pngIMG_4721.thumb.JPG.ed3810e3efd9e6831ec112692c399e4c.JPG

Doing(hopefully!) the last round of surface filling on the deck. Want to even it all out a bit better before top coat. Lots of hands and knees sanding with the long boards mostly but using power sander where I can. Not sure what performance I gain from this but it should look better I hope.

IMG_4781.thumb.JPG.5033dccf59fba8712e42bbcb8c39ed75.JPGIMG_4782.thumb.JPG.91b0e94ffdbb6f364887b61d254b2c1d.JPGIMG_4783.thumb.JPG.f69304497e476c3bb5b15549ae0e7f0e.JPGIMG_4789.thumb.JPG.ad98e020daac2a8595db88697db4147d.JPGIMG_4790.thumb.JPG.cedd5eb3f266bcc6c76e97b2f8b8bf6a.JPG

1 minute ago, IanA. said:

Doing(hopefully!) the last round of surface filling on the deck. Want to even it all out a bit better before top coat. Lots of hands and knees sanding with the long boards mostly but using power sander where I can. Not sure what performance I gain from this but it should look better I hope.

IMG_4781.thumb.JPG.5033dccf59fba8712e42bbcb8c39ed75.JPGIMG_4782.thumb.JPG.91b0e94ffdbb6f364887b61d254b2c1d.JPGIMG_4783.thumb.JPG.f69304497e476c3bb5b15549ae0e7f0e.JPGIMG_4789.thumb.JPG.ad98e020daac2a8595db88697db4147d.JPGIMG_4790.thumb.JPG.cedd5eb3f266bcc6c76e97b2f8b8bf6a.JPG

Don’t go mad with the deck prep, especially with flat non-skid, you’ll never notice it. ;)

8 hours ago, mad said:

Don’t go mad with the deck prep, especially with flat non-skid, you’ll never notice it. ;)

If I didn’t love this boat so much then I might have skipped this step. 

Its just to cool to do anything less

1 hour ago, IanA. said:

If I didn’t love this boat so much then I might have skipped this step. 

Its just to cool to do anything less

Yeah you go Ian ,  it’s a fuckin cool boat and you must be chuffed to be up there with a rocket built by an expat in UK that somehow wound up in NLD . 

Great thread and great work. Thanks for sharing it all. I'm looking forward to seeing how this finishes up.

On 4/8/2020 at 9:30 AM, tp#12 said:

Great thread and great work. Thanks for sharing it all. I'm looking forward to seeing how this finishes up.

Thanks but don't hold your breath!  

It can be pretty efficient though with 1 meter long board and an endless roll of 60 grit.

IMG_4793.JPG

I found some funky J-channel that Im thinking could work for the hatch sliders. Would hard coat anodize. I've been going back and forth about whether to make something composite for this but have enough on the plate as it is. Would be nice to have something "of the self" so I can keep trucking forward on the other stuff.

IMG_4794.JPG

IMG_4795.JPG

Despite appearances, she is smoothing out quite nice

image.png.0c00840b2232d793a9772b784f72794a.png

image.png.2e77229a7c68dc019cb1755548d61a2e.png

IMG_4816.JPG

IMG_4818.JPG

Its definitely not the most exciting part of the rebuild process. At least the awlfair is kicking off faster now with the warmer temps outside. So I got that going for me..

image.png.d3ba85f2592053527d4c0a88922229b5.pngIMG_4833.thumb.JPG.e680ed714c69ea371b573a9f7cf69edf.JPGIMG_4835.thumb.JPG.a7247d2dea0e8ff112a47b8773b6d805.JPG

Also made a stab inside. Had a recommended marine electrician from Belgium(not sure how he got through the closed border, didn't ask) come by to scope out the project and start a hardware list. So far it includes new batteries in new location(lower, centerline), new panel, batt. monitor and new interior lights. 

Having him over and down below made me realize that I have only done destructive work inside and should do something constructive. So I got thick coat of 545 on and then started filling. When I pulled off the vinyl flooring, it brought up patches of bog and various layers of paint. So I ended up grinding it all back as near to the original laminate which left it a bit rough. Also still need to bond in a G10 plate for the mast base since the original surface is not level to the boat

IMG_4819.thumb.JPG.684ce9d5e8b8c318d4190ff88dacee0f.JPGIMG_4837.thumb.JPG.c92ec7036ddfba270e1e68c88f5bad3a.JPG  

Plenty of obsessive work going on. Amazing - but obsessive. Bogging the floor and where the deck non skid goes doesn't make sense to my "just get it finished" brain. 

Anyone know what sort of condition the PT is in up in New Caledonia? It's been a while since Aaron did her up.

The pictures probably don't show it well but the deck was pretty bad and you could feel it through your shoes in some spots. Its really not that much work to fill and then knock down the surface with the longboard and some good paper. I've got the materials and place to get her done up proper so might as well go for it eh?

As for the interior... There's no floor boards so this is what you're standing on. It was very bad underneath the old vinyl they had stuck down. I won't go as crazy with the amount of sanding and filling as on the deck but it definitely needed a once over and possibly a twice over in a few spots. 

I'm not going to miss this part of the refit that's for sure

On 4/15/2020 at 9:36 AM, Jono said:

Plenty of obsessive work going on. Amazing - but obsessive. Bogging the floor and where the deck non skid goes doesn't make sense to my "just get it finished" brain. 

Anyone know what sort of condition the PT is in up in New Caledonia? It's been a while since Aaron did her up.

Only party time , blue dude and young n frisky feature in results from up there but PT is there think it was renamed something else French ? 

She's pretty slick now. Just a couple small parts that need a touch up but otherwise coming through with the final coat of 545.  Was worth the effort even if my knees and back are feeling it.

IMG_4845.JPG

IMG_4846.JPG

IMG_4848.JPG

So while I was waiting for some primer to kick I went below to start clearing out some excess weight. Started with removing the panel where all the electrics were mounted. Will replace with a lighter hinged version so it can be opened up for better access. 

Also got rid of the wall panel behind the head. It was a really useless storage setup. Will mount a small carbon tube horizontally to hang sheets, wet gear, etc.. More handy for our purposes.

I also went to town on the bow-sprit structure. Removed the aft most knee and shortened the fixed tube length. Also removed some material from the forward nee as well. These were built in inch and half marine ply and a heap of roving mat. Didn't have a scale with me but was hefty to remove from inside the boat. I filled a few low spots on the hull side and it just needs a once over with the random orbital then some paint.

IMG_4849.JPG

IMG_4856.JPG

IMG_4851.JPG

IMG_4857.JPG

IMG_4858.JPG

IMG_4864.JPG

IMG_4866.JPG

image.png

So now the sprit can stick further out. I think we will need an attachment point further inboard from the  MH0-FR0 furler and will probably dead end the bobstay there. Or maybe sort out an internal retracting bobstay ...

image.png.8d6fd06a745ac1269d2d0af150816c77.png

image.png.c8845008417495c2736078c7dac0ae62.png

image.png.89d989a94fc167e00f94b688ade0a18a.png

image.png.853681c0c304bd9e923634989834b4b7.png

image.png.c9f04fbb57eb59b862eefbad4ddea939.png

Also started dicking around with the hatch sliders. Used some double side tape and got everything more or less located. The good news is that this aluminum profile works better then expected and should do just the trick. The only big issue I didn't fully realize until I started laying it all out is the sheer curve from the front of the coach roof continues (though exponentially decreasing) all the way to the back. So I can't just lay the track on quite as easily as I once hoped. 

So I think the trick is to shape some divinycell wedges(same width as track) running fore/aft that will keep it all straight and true. Of course it gets all laminated and faired it to look proper. Its a bit of a new job that wasn't originally on the list but this is quite a key area to get right so just going to have to get it done.

IMG_4877.JPG

IMG_4878.JPG

• Like 1