FishFood

Sailing from LA to SF, Solo w/ Little Experience

3 hours ago, fufkin said:

Its a strange thing though, the mindset of a daredevil. And there is a spectrum, I'd say in risk adversity, that everyone is on

It's been studied. The extreme cases - Formula One drivers, test pilots, wing suiters and so forth have brains that function differently than you and me.

The area of the brain that processes fear is much smaller and less active in them. Years ago I saw some brain scans of people like that compared to regular people and the difference in size of the areas that illuminated during high risk stress was quite striking. Theirs were typically far less than 1/2 of "normal" people.

They really are fearless.

• Like 1

No word from Fishfood, flew over his boat two days ago, saw a paddle board, also called out from the beach, but no response.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, multihuler said:

No word from Fishfood, flew over his boat two days ago, saw a paddle board, also called out from the beach, but no response.

Hopefully he's OK, @Vaeredil will be sorely disappointed if he's wandered off into the shrubberies.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, multihuler said:

20 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Hopefully he's OK, @Vaeredil will be sorely disappointed if he's wandered off into the shrubberies.

I definitely will be disappointed. The paddleboard being there is a good sign, maybe he's just being a hermit for a few. Worst comes to worst I can leave my backpack on shore and swim out and see what's up. I really hope he's okay.  

Thanks for letting me know, @multihuler

Pam has been very supportive. FF seemed nice then got a bit mean. We wish him well and certainly will do the right thing with Al Paca  contractually but feel we made the right decision about our film direction. 

8 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Pam has been very supportive. FF seemed nice then got a bit mean. We wish him well and certainly will do the right thing with Al Paca  contractually but feel we made the right decision about our film direction. 

A 'Sideways' film has already been done.  Perhaps a new approach would be better.

You know what they say in Hollywood; When you have a 'Packer' as a producer, don't be surprised if all you get is shit.

On 11/21/2019 at 12:16 PM, pogen said:

Learn a bit about racing (but not too much!)  to be ready for the Three Bridge Fiasco.   Take a crew who has done it before. 

https://sfbaysss.org 

Saturday Jan 25, 2020.   Starts and finishes at GGYC, SF Cityfront.

So if Mr. FishFood doesn't show up, is this something I could crew on last minute? Does the standard approach of showing up at the correct marina with a smile and a sixpack work down there in the states like it does up here? 

Kinda want to see if y'all have Wednesday night beer can races down there too.

I'm sceptical of FF not flaking at this point but I'm still going to pack everything for the hobie trip just in case he magically reappears. Got my drybags packed with my tent, sleeping bag, cooking set, wetsuit, etc etc. Just enough room left for about one change of clothes, a can of spam, and a couple sticks of high fat butter (scientifically the most energy dense food so). We'll see what the border security people think about my pack, lol

• Like 1

The California coast is just above freezing this morning. But hey, the water is much warmer. So when you slip out of your damp bag onto the frozen rocks of that Big Sur cove you can warm up with a little dip in the relatively warm crashing surf while you ponder how to push the Hobie out thru the multiple overhead rocky breaks.

1 hour ago, El Boracho said:

The California coast is just above freezing this morning. But hey, the water is much warmer. So when you slip out of your damp bag onto the frozen rocks of that Big Sur cove you can warm up with a little dip in the relatively warm crashing surf while you ponder how to push the Hobie out thru the multiple overhead rocky breaks.

I wonder if pebble beach would make a good stop over point. Might be sheltered from the north wind that's due to push down from Oregon in the next few days, according to Windy. 

20200115_095150.thumb.jpg.7c8b7fb0dbd8468188b29ccbfc0edec3.jpg

I'm curious if the temperature and conditions there are anything like the conditions were in late October here in Northern Ontario. Spent a day sailing and capsizing my friend's shoddily rigged laser in 18 knots of wind, air temperature 4 celcius and water temperature close to zero. (It froze over 5 days later). 4 foot waves about every 6 seconds on a local lake. It can't compare to the ocean of course, and wind waves of that size aren't the same as swell, but am I right in thinking that 6 foot at 12 seconds is not that bad? That's the currently shown conditions according to the ever helpful windy. I do realize that the wind heading down from Oregon is going to make that a lot bigger (20+? Feet) in the next few days, but it's supposed to be gone (and the waves much smaller) by the planned departure date. 

It's probably a moot point anyhow, FishFood hasn't responded in two weeks to forums DM's or text messages, but the tickets have been purchased for over a month and the time off is booked. One way or the other, I'm going to be flying into San Francisco by the afternoon of Jan 22nd. If he's there,  I'll probably attempt it, barring obviously unsafe conditions or a forecast that would leave us trapped with no recourse. If not, which is looking likely, I'm going to do my damndest to get out sailing one way or the other.

This was my chance to get out sailing to keep me from going crazy waiting for the winter to end. Still 3-4 months before the ice breaks here, and meanwhile I'm driving on top of the lake I'd like to be putting my boat into. 

Hopefully someone will give me a chance in exchange for some beer or my help cleaning up their boat or doing something else. Have to find somewhere to pitch the tent as well, which might be difficult given the size of SF. 

While I truly appreciate the vast wealth of sailing knowledge on here, sometimes you have to take the risks and try something against the odds. Yes, FF was lucky on his trip north and we will have to be lucky to make it work going South, but that's not a good enough excuse to never do anything. The best laid plans on a well equipped boat with vastly more experienced sailors have still gotten unlucky and died. That's just life (or death). 

I took all of your advice last time, if anyone remembers. My debt is gone and I'm saving towards the purchase of a boat to live aboard semi-permanently. I moved back to the low cost of living area my family was living in and up until a year ago, lived in their basement. I'm working a dangerous, shitty shift work job at a pulp mill that pays well. Hopefully in a few more years I can afford to buy and properly take care of a boat and take part in all the things I still want to do (like R2AK) but until then I need an outlet, and this was supposed to be it.

if you can manage sailing Ontario this time of year - CA may feel temperate. People don't know shit when they make claims about omnipresent big surf (speaking as a surfer). The coastline is rugged, with various reefs and points offshore, and beaches pointing all directions. As dramatic example, your photo above is near Stillwater Cove - appropriately named btw. flat calm water. virtually all the time.

note that FF is located in a little industrial town called Princeton. Kind of charming in a way - but I can't think of a campground nearby (might be though). However, if you walk out toward the point - you can turn left and check out Mavericks, or turn right and scramble over the bluff to a seldom visited beach. This could hold a tent in a pinch.

also, this toy is kind of fun, there might be a better one out there though.. 

https://www.surf-forecast.com/weather_maps/California?over=none&type=htsgw

also, there are a couple attractive hostels on the coast..

https://www.google.com/maps/place/HI+Point+Montara+Lighthouse+Hostel/@37.5358798,-122.518229,15z/data=!4m8!3m7!1s0x0:0x326ee15ad2d7bc6e!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d37.5358798!4d-122.518229

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vaeredil said:

I wonder if pebble beach would make a good stop over point. Might be sheltered from the north wind that's due to push down from Oregon in the next few days, according to Windy.

Stillwater Cove, at Pebble Beach, is excellent in N weather. Terrible in S seas. Lived aboard there several summers. Going ashore is problematic as the land is very much private. That said the Harbormaster has historically been very accommodating. Camping on the beach will probably be denied...so hide the tent in a deep Pebble sandtrap. Heh.

From there it is a long leg past Big Sur to San Simeon. But, hey, check out camping at Wreck Beach just S of Pt. Sur. How bad can that be?

What is it like downwind on an overloaded Hobie with breaking following seas. No issues? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

Stillwater Cove, at Pebble Beach, is excellent in N weather. Terrible in S seas. Lived aboard there several summers. Going ashore is problematic as the land is very much private. That said the Harbormaster has historically been very accommodating. Camping on the beach will probably be denied...so hide the tent in a deep Pebble sandtrap. Heh.

From there it is a long leg past Big Sur to San Simeon. But, hey, check out camping at Wreck Beach just S of Pt. Sur. How bad can that be?

What is it like downwind on an overloaded Hobie with breaking following seas. No issues? 

I can't be the only one that sees a red flag when place-names like "wreck beach" come up...? Kinda dates from my experience camping at a place that turned out to be aptly called "place of the small black flies" in the local language, I think...

Cheers,

W.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, floater said:

if you can manage sailing Ontario this time of year - CA may feel temperate. People don't know shit when they make claims about omnipresent big surf (speaking as a surfer). The coastline is rugged, with various reefs and points offshore, and beaches pointing all directions. As dramatic example, your photo above is near Stillwater Cove - appropriately named btw. flat calm water. virtually all the time.

note that FF is located in a little industrial town called Princeton. Kind of charming in a way - but I can't think of a campground nearby (might be though). However, if you walk out toward the point - you can turn left and check out Mavericks, or turn right and scramble over the bluff to a seldom visited beach. This could hold a tent in a pinch.

also, this toy is kind of fun, there might be a better one out there though.. 

https://www.surf-forecast.com/weather_maps/California?over=none&type=htsgw

also, there are a couple attractive hostels on the coast..

https://www.google.com/maps/place/HI+Point+Montara+Lighthouse+Hostel/@37.5358798,-122.518229,15z/data=!4m8!3m7!1s0x0:0x326ee15ad2d7bc6e!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d37.5358798!4d-122.518229

That beach to the north of the point seems almost ideal, looks on Google Earth to be perfect. Thank you! And if it really comes to it, that little lighthouse hostel isn't too bad either. I'm very comfortable camping though, probably do that if at all possible.

Honestly, like you say, the weather down there seems idyllic compared to what our fall sailing is like (and that I enjoy wholeheatedly), and fucking incredible compared to the lows of -42 celcius with windchill that we've had within the last week. 

23 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

Thanks for the tips! And oddly enough, I think I know exactly how good Wreck beach would be. Lived just above the nude beach in Vancouver named the same thing for several months in a hammock. Ocean baths in the morning leave you refreshed, if a bit salty after you dry off. 

Sailing my hobie 16, it had a tendency to want to pitch pole downwind, digging in the bows if you didn't hike way aft.

According to what I've heard and read about the 18, they're much better about it. We will be overloaded compared to a boat in racing trim, but not by enough to be dangerous, I hope. I may dig out my book about the two fellows who did the northwest passage in one (with one having next to no sailing experience or love for the sport, if I remember correctly), and see if they mention downwind performance, as they were carrying much more equipment due to the arctic conditions. 

access to California beaches by right - on the beach up to mean high water. Given nothing better than a Hobie tramp to sleep on, practically speaking these kids could (virtually) legally camp on any beach they like.

I think if you were to show up anywhere - even Santa Monica - wtf are they going to do? Send you out to sea. They can't do shit. plus, there are plenty spots in the neighborhood without a country club at the end of the dock. 

also, other people have done this - I just showed up in Avalon (totally unannounced - on a beachcat) and got a first row mooring for my trouble plus a great dinner provided by some friendly yachties. People are generally friendly towards kids doing crazy shit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

A 'Sideways' film has already been done.  Perhaps a new approach would be better.

Well, one scene could be redone quite easily - protagonist finds his boat covered in sea lions, swims back to hotel saying "Those fuckers are mean"

47 minutes ago, floater said:

access to California beaches by right - on the beach up to mean high water. Given nothing better than a Hobie tramp to sleep on, practically speaking these kids could (virtually) legally camp on any beach they like.

I think if you were to show up anywhere - even Santa Monica - wtf are they going to do? Send you out to sea. They can't do shit. plus, there are plenty spots in the neighborhood without a country club at the end of the dock. 

also, other people have done this - I just showed up in Avalon (totally unannounced - on a beachcat) and got a first row mooring for my trouble plus a great dinner provided by some friendly yachties. People are generally friendly towards kids doing crazy shit.

Just gotta pitch the tent closer to HIGH high tide, try not to get washed away in your sleep!

And that's very encouraging  to hear. I think FF has collected a few offers in this thread already too, so no suprise there :P

On 1/15/2020 at 6:15 AM, Vaeredil said:

So if Mr. FishFood doesn't show up, is this something I could crew on last minute? Does the standard approach of showing up at the correct marina with a smile and a sixpack work down there in the states like it does up here? 

Kinda want to see if y'all have Wednesday night beer can races down there too.

Check out the thread for Three Bridge Fiasco, link below. Hard to get in that race last minute since people register as single handed or double handed.  Someone is looking  for crew right now though. 

Yes there are beer can races, see Latitude 38 magazine (on line) to see where.  The closest authorized camping is in Marin, or Half Moon Bay, you will see thousands of tents everywhere though.

22 minutes ago, tama_manu said:

Check out the thread for Three Bridge Fiasco, link below. Hard to get in that race last minute since people register as single handed or double handed.  Someone is looking  for crew right now though. 

Yes there are beer can races, see Latitude 38 magazine (on line) to see where.  The closest authorized camping is in Marin, or Half Moon Bay, you will see thousands of tents everywhere though.

Left a message on that thread, thank you! Still no word from FF, I'm close to despair. 

As far as I can tell on the Lat 38 website, lots of the racing series are closer to the beginning of the month(s), but Cyote Point YC has one I could join maybe? https://cpyc.com/

I think camping in Half Moon is the plan at least for the first few days, have to see how things go after that though! And I've heard about the tent cities down there, should be able to blend in, I hope. 

Fishfood enjoyed the attention here far too much to have just bailed the site...I'm afraid something may have happened to him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Fishfood enjoyed the attention here far too much to have just bailed the site...I'm afraid something may have happened to him.

That's my concern too. He mentioned being high travelling back to his boat, but his account logged into SA after that date, so nothing happened that night. 

Only thing I can do is check his boat and see if there's anything to find :/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

He's fallen in love.

16 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

Love, naw. He’s just laying pipe. 

Hope so. His early posts had a hint of InCel.

Found ff phone number, not receiving, so left a text,

we were planning a adventure together7713615.jpg.50fc560f0da04fbd8dd044e0d093eb0b.jpg70391235_3053757767999575_4098491165186195456_n.jpg.b3a40adb2db8b06a25767fdbda646c85.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, multihuler said:

Found ff phone number, not receiving, so left a text,

we were planning a adventure together

Not a good sign if I'm not the only person who hasn't gotten in touch with him. 

Did Nurse Ratched finally catch up with him?

I told him not to trust Al Paca, but noooo, the little shit wouldn't listen to me.

Motive, means, opportunity, I think Al has some 'splainin' to do.

• Like 1

Since FF has gone silent, I nominate Vaeredil to carry on in this thread and share his exploits, at least for his trip to the Left Coast.  What do you say, Vaeredil, will you continue to share your adventure with us since we can no longer vicariously live our youth through FishFood?

12 hours ago, unShirley said:

Since FF has gone silent, I nominate Vaeredil to carry on in this thread and share his exploits, at least for his trip to the Left Coast.  What do you say, Vaeredil, will you continue to share your adventure with us since we can no longer vicariously live our youth through FishFood?

Can't say no! Nothing to really update you until all on until Wednesday morning when I fly out. Just trying to decide what to pack and worrying about FF's fate. 

13 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Was FF a sock??

More of a shoe type I think

Go for it, @Vaeredil 

Pam and I are discussing a second project, with you as protagonist...ensemble cast starts helping, then wondering about FF.  You emerge as a more than worthy adventurer, combining own saga with investigation into FF's fate...if he was real. 

Do NOT sign anything with @Al Paca or @Ed Lada.  We will get you representation and you can have veto over casting your character. You can also get a cameo role. 

• Like 1

Maybe bring in elements from Fight Club or The Usual Suspects where FF is somebody's alter ego...

• Like 1

Or maybe FF is Larry Ellison's long lost son.

His pilgrimage from LA to SF is to confront his father, but he struggles daily with the distinct possibility that he will be rejected...again... 

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Go for it, @Vaeredil 

Pam and I are discussing a second project, with you as protagonist...ensemble cast starts helping, then wondering about FF.  You emerge as a more than worthy adventurer, combining own saga with investigation into FF's fate...if he was real. 

Do NOT sign anything with @Al Paca or @Ed Lada.  We will get you representation and you can have veto over casting your character. You can also get a cameo role. 

Hey!  I'm the good guy in this whole shit show!   I was just trying to help the kid, for everyone else, it's about the money.  Et tu Ms. Clew?

You have been trying to convince us that you were the only one that cared about FF, but now the leopardess is revealing her spots I see.  

Now the real question is are you in it just for yourself or are you still fronting for that creepy Paca guy.  Hmmm.

And suddenly this gspot shows up too.  More like Johnny on the spot.  It appears that the sharks are circling, smelling blood and money.  FF's blood and any money that they can steal.

Where is Raymond Chandler when you need him.  This whole thing is smelling stronger than the scent of the coffee shop wafting up from down below.  So strong, you could build a house on it.

Jebus, I'm so naive sometimes!

7 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Yes - some of this is in jest!

I think this thread and community has done a great job of supporting FF, and I really appreciate those who have reached out and helped him in person.

Depression totally sucks and I sincerely hope he's okay.

I haven’t heard from the kid either. Hopefully he’s in on an extended stay 51-50. Hell 1/2 the posters on this site should be. Eddie?

19 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

I haven’t heard from the kid either. Hopefully he’s in on an extended stay 51-50. Hell 1/2 the posters on this site should be. Eddie?

Don't get your hopes up Al.  Not going to happen.

I'm keeping a close eye on you.

Come what may, suffice to say I hope you have a good alibi.  

7 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Go for it, @Vaeredil 

4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Hey!  I'm the good guy in this whole shit show!   I was just trying to help the kid, for everyone else, it's about the money.  Et tu Ms. Clew?

You have been trying to convince us that you were the only one that cared about FF, but now the leopardess is revealing her spots I see.  

Now the real question is are you in it just for yourself or are you still fronting for that creepy Paca guy.  Hmmm.

And suddenly this gspot shows up too.  More like Johnny on the spot.  It appears that the sharks are circling, smelling blood and money.  FF's blood and any money that they can steal.

Where is Raymond Chandler when you need him.  This whole thing is smelling stronger than the scent of the coffee shop wafting up from down below.  So strong, you could build a house on it.

So when can the two of you meet for the match race on Lasers to determine who gets the story rights? 

2 hours ago, Al Paca said:

So if he's not on the boat guess I gotta check around at the local mental health Institutions

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, unShirley said:

Hey Vaeredil, did you get a ride for the 3BF?

Sure did! Going aboard Lioness, pretty excited about it :)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Vaeredil said:

Sure did! Going aboard Lioness, pretty excited about it :)

Keep blog, diary, or notes starting now.  Jon Peters (Pam's new husband) says it will help with development.  Seriously, do you want some SA amateur or a team including an actual producer with a track record of films as well as marriages and lawsuits?  

Seriously, have a great time!

So, the story twists again. FF is alive and texted me late last night while I napped at the Winnipeg  airport asking when my flight was getting in. New phone number and apparently he "tends to just dissapear" (his words). I suggested he post here as I think I wasn't the only one concerned for him, but since there's nothing from him yet, I figured I'd spill the beans for anyone who wanted to know. 

Obviously, going to be sticking with Lioness for the 3BF but we may do some sailing south San Fran bay now? 

50 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Keep blog, diary, or notes starting now.  Jon Peters (Pam's new husband) says it will help with development.  Seriously, do you want some SA amateur or a team including an actual producer with a track record of films as well as marriages and lawsuits?  

Seriously, have a great time!

Definitely going to have a great time.

You sell it pretty well, how about I record it all with a shaky handheld camcorder and we stitch it together Blair Witch Project style, found footage? Might even be able to spin it as horror. 

"those who travel will reap the rewards". 

Its been kind of rainy here - but nothing dramatic. As one hailing from Canada, I'll be curious to see what your reaction to the winter weather here in Northern California is like. My theory: southern Californians tend to be chicken of the weather (of course, there is some reason for that..).

8 minutes ago, Vaeredil said:

So, the story twists again. FF is alive and texted me late last night while I napped at the Winnipeg  airport asking when my flight was getting in. New phone number and apparently he "tends to just dissapear" (his words). I suggested he post here as I think I wasn't the only one concerned for him, but since there's nothing from him yet, I figured I'd spill the beans for anyone who wanted to know. 

Obviously, going to be sticking with Lioness for the 3BF but we may do some sailing south San Fran bay now? 

You sell it pretty well, how about I record it all with a shaky handheld camcorder and we stitch it together Blair Witch Project style, found footage? Might even be able to spin it as horror. 

Be sure to steer clear of Into the Wild.

Cheers,

W.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Vaeredil said:

So glad FF is alive!  Thanks for the update.

The Blair Witch concept is GREAT!  The FF connection might add some of the horror/"The Shining" elements to it, but be careful there, just sayin'

This is going to be awesome!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vaeredil said:

Tell the Fish boy that if he wants to do it right, contact Doug Jackson from SV Seeker.  

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

So glad FF is alive!  Thanks for the update.

The Blair Witch concept is GREAT!  The FF connection might add some of the horror/"The Shining" elements to it, but be careful there, just sayin'

This is going to be awesome!  

Gotta make sure nobody gets TOO deep into method acting 

4 hours ago, floater said:

"those who travel will reap the rewards". 

Its been kind of rainy here - but nothing dramatic. As one hailing from Canada, I'll be curious to see what your reaction to the winter weather here in Northern California is like. My theory: southern Californians tend to be chicken of the weather (of course, there is some reason for that..).

Its 15 above and sunny.... this is winter?! I was walking out to my car in -36 with the windchill two days ago

4 hours ago, WGWarburton said:

Be sure to steer clear of Into the Wild.

Cheers,

W.

Hmm, gotcha :D

• Like 1

I was too embarrassed to admit to @Vaeredil that I actually got mixed up in a cult recruitment disguised as group spiritual therapy. They were taking advantage of my loneliness and trying to have me cut off my old life and societal ties. SA was the last thing on my mind. Happy to say I was able to come about and I'm back.

• Like 1

California. Land of fruits and nuts. That’s what I love about this place. 

1 hour ago, FishFood said:

I was too embarrassed to admit to @Vaeredil that I actually got mixed up in a cult recruitment disguised as group spiritual therapy. They were taking advantage of my loneliness and trying to have me cut off my old life and societal ties. SA was the last thing on my mind. Happy to say I was able to come about and I'm back.

was she cute?

Got to avoid cinematic and real life similarities to Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. Though the movie did have a dog hero.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ignatius J. Reilly said:

Wow ... this really does have hollywood potential!

Into the Wild has already been done. How would this be any different?

Into the Wild: Social Media

Please change the part where FF walks away from Kristen Stewart at her most wet and hungry. That was disappointing.

• Like 1

Checked out the Golden Gate bridge of course because that's the thing you do in San Fransico, and headed down the OYC for the 3BF skippers meeting. @LionessRacing generously provided me with a spot to sleep for the next few nights, for which I am most grateful! Shaping up to be an interesting race indeed, 315+ entries?! I still am realizing how big the sailing scene IS down here, it's awesome. Off to HMB for the day today, see if @FishFood wants to take the hobie for a spin. 

Snapchat-1403726141.thumb.jpg.e81beb043258f208913793abc09e4a70.jpg

• Like 1

I'm seeing a version of "Wild Wild Country" ... instead of a line of Rolls Royce rolling into small remote town in Oregon .... an old cold molded Peterson half tonner is trailed (behind a 73 Ford Econoline) to a giant alter / pyre (south of Half Moon Bay).... our hero chained to the mast ... surrounded by somnolent earth children fondling their butane mini torches.   As the flames spread from the transom our hero let's loose a piercing cry ..... "Where the hell are my dragon eggs!" .....

• Like 1

"Checked out the Golden Gate bridge of course because that's the thing you do in San Francisco, and headed down the OYC"

On a more serious note ... Vaeredil ... If you have time, you should check out the SF Bay Model in Sausalito.   If you are lucky they might be running a study and you can see the actual flows in the bay.   The dance of Mr. Ebb and Mr. Flood is a pretty amazing daily occurrence inside the Gate ....

13 minutes ago, Ignatius J. Reilly said:

On a more serious note ... Vaeredil ... If you have time, you should check out the SF Bay Model in Sausalito.   If you are lucky they might be running a study and you can see the actual flows in the bay.   The dance of Mr. Ebb and Mr. Flood is a pretty amazing daily occurrence inside the Gate ....

....or just go get a beer and a meal at Salito's, then wander the docks and check out the boats.

29 minutes ago, Ignatius J. Reilly said:

14 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

....or just go get a beer and a meal at Salito's, then wander the docks and check out the boats.

Why not both? If I don't try and find somewhere to rent a surfboard tomorrow maybe I'll head up and check that out!

1 hour ago, Vaeredil said:

Checked out the Golden Gate bridge of course because that's the thing you do in San Fransico,

You can tell it's winter in S.F.  You can see the bridge!

2 hours ago, Ignatius J. Reilly said:

Wow ... this really does have hollywood potential!

This is GOLD !!! I’m gonna bring out Paris Hilton to play the tempress that seduces the innocent kid. This thing is writing itself ! More money for Paca Productions !

16 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

This is GOLD !!! I’m gonna bring out Paris Hilton to play the tempress that seduces the innocent kid. This thing is writing itself ! More money for Paca Productions !

Sounds like a great plan for the straight to streaming market.

Pam, Jon, and I think the @Vaeredil story has Sundance and Golden Globe  written all over it. 

Talked to FF late last night, he wanted to leave for the golden gate and angel island at 1-3 am this morning. I considered it but eventually told him I wasn't keen on night sailing up through that, and asked if he wanted to just get out and spin around HMB this morning. Haven't heard from him since, bussed down and swam out to his boat in my wetsuit while I left all my shit under an overturned trashcan and havent seen him yet. Going to walk up to Mavericks to see what that's like. 

Here's me with the HMB club ball and FFs boat behind, freezing a bit20200123_123006.thumb.jpg.9117c2fbb54b0454b2bf1392d5456fc2.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Keep taking notes. You have the GoPro right?

I think they sent me a PoGo stick instead, you gotta talk to your employees more often

Found Seamus!

On 1/23/2020 at 2:38 PM, Vaeredil said:

I think they sent me a PoGo stick instead, you gotta talk to your employees more often

Found Seamus!

Bullshit, I found you. 

We took El Scorpion out yesterday. Doggo was aboard and fell in the water on a quick tack that sent us heeling onto port faster than he could adjust while sitting on the port side deck; the lack of motor function (dead batteries) left us sailing circles around him till Liam and my buddy finally got a grip of the bastard. I was secretly rooting for the demise of doggo, I had to clean his shit again the other day on a walk. I dropped my buddy off on his boat so he could grab his inflatable in order to help get us back on the mooring, got a little too close and kissed his ship at about 4knts. His boat was left unscathed, mine had but a scratch. All is good as I'm filing the insurance claim now. Found out I had two-day-old ramen in a pot that went all over my cabin... fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Yeah... I had just done a deep cleaning and organizing of the boat, pulling every board and cushion, laundering all that could be laundered, and bleaching the entire place because I'm afraid of mold. I was in a rush when I took @Vaeredil out since I had many errands that day and six hours of travel time around the bay, we kinda made the boat more of a mess before we took off. Anyhow, don't worry future owner of this boat, I always clean the questionable fluids that fly around.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 10:02 AM, Israel Hands said:

+1 on Salito's.  Go there hungry.

• Like 1

I am so glad that FishFood is back, and Vaeredil is a great addition.
This has great potential.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

I am so glad that FishFood is back, and Vaeredil is a great addition.
This has great potential.

If all of those greedy fucks like Paca, Clew and others keep their grubby paws off of him.

They are swarming around him like flies on a week old corpse.

9 hours ago, FishFood said:

Bullshit, I found you. 

We took El Scorpion out yesterday. Doggo was aboard and fell in the water on a quick tack that sent us heeling onto port faster than he could adjust while sitting on the port side deck; the lack of motor function (dead batteries) left us sailing circles around him till Liam and my buddy finally got a grip of the bastard. I was secretly rooting for the demise of doggo, I had to clean his shit again the other day on a walk. I dropped my buddy off on his boat so he could grab his inflatable in order to help get us back on the mooring, got a little too close and kissed his ship at about 4knts. His boat was left unscathed, mine had but a scratch. All is good as I'm filing the insurance claim now. Found out I had two-day-old ramen in a pot that went all over my cabin... fun.

Can confirm, had a fun sail. Secretly I think FF heeled the boat on purpose, he's always trying to save weight. 

1 hour ago, sledracr said:

+1 on Salito's.  Go there hungry.

Aye aye!

Had an absolutely fantastic day on the water with @LionessRacing yesterday, who has been very hospitable  as well! Ended up dropping out after about 6 hours, but I think it was a common story, lots of low wind for most of the day so any boat that couldn't catch up was left to drift. Learned a lot, flew a drifter and a mizzen staysail for the first time, and just generally had fun.  Very cool to see the massive variety of boats that entered, and got to see most of the bay, too!

Really good day. 

• Like 3

Has the Coronavirus made it to Poland yet? I’m keeping my fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

I think FF should consult a doctor or a shrink re: depression meds before he hurts himself or someone else.

Having a family history of clinical depression I speak from experience and it sure sounds like he's got it.

On 1/23/2020 at 10:30 AM, CruiserJim said:

You can tell it's winter in S.F.  You can see the bridge!

Heck, we couldn't see the Bay Bridge while sailing under it in the Fog on Saturday 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Heck, we couldn't see the Bay Bridge while sailing under it in the Fog on Saturday 

If you would have had any wind for better sailing, then you wouldn't have been able to see the bridge enveloped in fog.  Seeing the bridge poking through the fog is an iconic sight that is just the icing on the cake. 

Of all the beautiful places I have seen in the world, I think that the SF Bay area and the surrounding mountains, redwood forests and rugged coastline is one of the most absolutely beautiful places I have ever been.  I remember going west from Palo Alto on my way to the coast, getting to the top of the small mountain range and seeing bright sun and clear air for miles behind me, and a blanket of thick, white fog covering the valley right in front of me.   The Alps and Dolomite mountains are pretty breathtaking, especially winding through them on a train at sunrise.  The lush jungle covered mountains, and the deep blue Pacific in Hawaii are awesome.  Seeing the short, steep, green mountains of Japan disappearing into the Pacific, with nary a beach in sight, from a boat on the ocean, or seeing snow capped Mt. Fuji in the near distance from 1500 feet in a helicopter is definitely memorable.  Seeing the incredible expanse of colorful lights of Tokyo at night from a helicopter is definitely one of the most beautiful urban sights I've ever experienced.  But overall I think I have to give the edge to northern California.  It is no surprise to me why people are willing to pay so much to live there.  If only there weren't those those damned earthquakes.  I had my fill of that after living in Japan for 3 1/2 years.