FishFood

Sailing from LA to SF, Solo w/ Little Experience

12 minutes ago, luminary said:

nice looking little boat. KIS. Add hanks.

is that simple though? given his entire existing wardrobe sports a tape. 

my thought - see if you can salvage a foil somewhere.. otherwise, I guess its up for grabs. on my previous boats, always had hanks. my first try right now with a furler. its kind of weird - and I guess if you care about performance - the furler an annoying compromise from the get-go. Also, if you already have a whole stack of decent sails, the furler kind of rules them out.

6 hours ago, FishFood said:

Should I purchase a new foil or learn to install some eyelets for hanks. Or maybe a furler? My only problem with the foil is that it makes solo sailing a bit harder. Anybody have experience sailing solo with both and care to chime in.

Ding! Stick with what you have for now. A new/used foil should be easy to find. Practice and plan you solo sail handling technique, that is all. Your headsail is tiny so should be easy to manage with good technique. Only fly you smaller headsails when solo cruising.

Hanks are good for unwieldy huge genoas. But you do need to sit at the bow for a while clipping and unclipping them...especially with the typical poor maintenance issues.

12 hours ago, Ignatius J. Reilly said:

Praise Betty .... I thought this thread was dead!

Well then I wouldn't be able to share incidents of misfortune, stupidity and a little bit of genius. Speaking of which....

I took my girlfriend on a Valentine's Day sail tonight and while that went well, I'm currently dealing with a boat nightmare. I'm just going to leave this photo and let your minds wonder about the possible ways this occurred.

download_20200214_230052.thumb.jpg.20e7c8f5a9ae3c558dd51ccae57beaa3.jpg

My boat would have looked really picturesque in the background had that fender been tossed below. Oh well.

40 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Well then I wouldn't be able to share incidents of misfortune, stupidity and a little bit of genius. Speaking of which....

I took my girlfriend on a Valentine's Day sail tonight and while that went well, I'm currently dealing with a boat nightmare. I'm just going to leave this photo and let your minds wonder about the possible ways this occurred.

download_20200214_230052.thumb.jpg.20e7c8f5a9ae3c558dd51ccae57beaa3.jpg

My boat would have looked really picturesque in the background had that fender been tossed below. Oh well.

I think we are gonna need a picture of said girlfriend, before we are able to determine the nature and severity of the nightmare.

One man's treasure is another man's trash...girl, boat or voyage...IMO and something missing here.

What keeps banging around my head, bilge to some, is the idea that no one should ever undertake a "trip" without being fully familiar with the trip's accoutraments, in this case, the rig itself, that is, besides the constant "madness" idea.

The bare minimum would be "shakedown" cruises in expected weather to note needs and familiarize one with the rig involved.

Seems Fishfood did none of that or very little to gamble on his safety and is or easily could have been literal fish food, as his monicre implies.

A lesson in what most of us view as the tourist sailor which creates havoc, IMO, natch! Seems boats (deepwater) and aircraft air altitude are not the same as ground.

Just because he survived his own screw-ups, not harming himself or involving othes, does not mean swab-dodgers should spprove.

There aren't enough of these dodgers already? 

As already implied, "Duh!!!!"  

10 hours ago, ModernViking said:

I think we are gonna need a picture of said girlfriend's tits, before we are able to determine the nature and severity of the nightmare.

fixerated it for you

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, unShirley said:

fixerated it for you

fixeration accepted.
Dunno if it does anything tho

Well I had to use my friend's inflatable yesterday and he decided to pump it up a bit before he left. Only thing is, he accidentally left a valve open and the boat deflated when I was working on his big boat. The keel tube stayed inflated and threw the boat off balance which caused it to flip backward and land upside down with the weight of the motor, the boat was sinking as I ran to see what the noise was. Luckily, I as able to grab the line his boat was secured with and yank half the boat up. Fired up the winch and yanked the motor out of the water. Stayed up till 2am trying to flip it and get it fully on the boat due to complications. A pretty awesome Valentine's Day if you ask me.

Screenshot_20200215-165439.thumb.png.16afffa42188cb988e8c45f491b44bc9.png 

You can't fool us. Those were body bags in the first photo. Who did you kill?

Banishment is needed...we have enough dingers on the water! We been jerked!

It is written...T and A rule, ask USCG.

I miss the olden days here when noobs posted boobs with little or no coaxing.  WTF has happen to the yutes anyway?  Time to HTFU and enforce some anarchical discipline.  Just say'n.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

I miss the olden days here when noobs posted boobs with little or no coaxing.  WTF has happen to the yutes anyway?  Time to HTFU and enforce some anarchical discipline.  Just say'n.

anarchical discipline? I once asked a mob of anarchists (yes, really) where they were heading. reply: "we don't know, we're anarchists".

1 hour ago, floater said:

anarchical discipline? I once asked a mob of anarchists (yes, really) where they were heading. reply: "we don't know, we're anarchists".

Those weren't real anarchists. Especially if they were wearing black and had masks.

32 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Those weren't real anarchists. Especially if they were wearing black and had masks.

no black. no masks. not real anarchists perhaps - but that's what they called themselves. also, they liked to break things.. reference 1989, SF and Berkeley riots.

1 minute ago, floater said:

also, they liked to break things.. reference 1989, SF and Berkeley riots.

Then definitely not anarchists in the classical sense.

Proper anarchists have been vilified by the PTB, in print, false flag attacks and through infiltration of movements, for over a century.

Hie thee to PA. ;)

52 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Then definitely not anarchists in the classical sense.

Proper anarchists have been vilified by the PTB, in print, false flag attacks and through infiltration of movements, for over a century.

Hie thee to PA. ;)

yes, I completely believe you that in the academic sense, they were not anarchists - just kids who wanted to shout and break stuff - and yep, change the world..

On 1/29/2020 at 10:41 AM, unShirley said:

No, not at all your fault.   Kudos to you for doing a great job of making the best of a really weird situation.  

Thank you for the kind words! 

@FishFood, definitely enjoyed meeting you, but I hope you're working on your boat before you take it back south/farther north. I know from my days living aboard it's a pain to get out and about on a boat that also has all your living stuff aboard (backpack still smells like ravioli, lol), but trust me, it'll be worth it! I really do hope you make it whichever way you go, but don't rely on quite so much luck next time. I saw those oil rigs you mentioned running into on my way down the coast, I think. This is looking out the the Channel Islands in the way down to SB, I wish we had made it!

20200127_170431.thumb.jpg.c071fde5f057d8fc054389a1ab1f4872.jpg

And a few more pictures I'll post below before I leave you all in peace. Thanks for the support and advice all, and FF, I sincerely hope the next time I see you isn't at the bottom of the deeps. Switch out that mainsail tack pin that you're using, that'll cause you grief some day! 

Little album of a few of the better pictures from the trip. A sad lack of photos from the sailing I did do, but I honestly enjoy sailing too much to remember most of the time!

https://imgur.com/a/VY34SKv

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, msvphoto said:

Looks like game over for our friend FishFood...

For Sail on Craigslist

Yeah, you're a little late. See the thread here where I have it posted for free. I had to appease my girlfriend by attempting to post for sale. "Looks like game over" Ehh ok, this thread ended how I said it would, with me up the coast... Headed back to school now that I can enroll again, never planned on being dropped from my courses. 

1 minute ago, FishFood said:

Yeah, you're a little late. See the thread here where I have it posted for free. I had to appease my girlfriend by attempting to post for sale. "Looks like game over" Ehh ok, this thread ended how I said it would, with me up the coast... Headed back to school now that I can enroll again, never planned on being dropped from my courses. 

Yes, I see that free thread now. Honestly, I might be all over your offer if I didn't already have a 30' $ hole in the water in the Santa Cruz harbor. It has been fun vicariously experiencing your journey so far.

I wish you the best with school and hope to see you out there roll tacking, crash gybing, and planing the crap out of a Laser on the Monterey Bay this summer (as I once did as a lad in the 1970s). Keep sailing and keep learning something new every day.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Girlfriend?  That explains it!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, msvphoto said:

Yes, I see that free thread now. Honestly, I might be all over your offer if I didn't already have a 30' $ hole in the water in the Santa Cruz harbor. It has been fun vicariously experiencing your journey so far.

I wish you the best with school and hope to see you out there roll tacking, crash gybing, and planing the crap out of a Laser on the Monterey Bay this summer (as I once did as a lad in the 1970s). Keep sailing and keep learning something new every day.

I am being mostly all grown up here by mostly passing this by.

5 hours ago, msvphoto said:

first, you'll have to explain all those terms.

On 11/9/2019 at 9:23 PM, FishFood said:

Don't plan on dropping out completely, just this semester. I'm an econ major and transfer student at a California Community College. Had a 4.0 last semester. Classes cost me like $100 because of government stupidity (would be much reluctant to drop out if the financial cost was higher) and the withdrawals on my record will probably be outweighed by the story behind them. I also started in the Spring, need two years of courses for most schools and can't get Spring transfer for my top picks. Poised to have a gap semester but I guess that can be replaced with a failed semester. Will re-enroll at a CC come spring. Have until February to complete more adventures.

I don't plan on documenting my adventures in that manner. If I actually do something book worthy, maybe that. Perhaps just personal journals. I should probably get built for my potential love life with Selena though.

I think I'll steer clear of killing anyone else if it comes down to it. That's a judgement call for the moment and hopefully that risk will be mitigated preemptively with proper prep.

So colleges are going online now anyway.  Don't be a fool stay in school, lol. You can claim to be an early adopter of social distancing after being sneezed on by sea lions. Might get on CNN.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 9:57 AM, Zonker said:

Awesome scene in the movie; lots of drama - will the dog survive?  Is there enough budget for the stunt dog, wrangler, and SPCA rep who says "No dogs were drowned in the making of this movie"...?

Just wait till you get to the part where the new girlfriend freaks out, CG helo picks them all up, boat is lost and sinks in the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary.  FF starts a new lighthearted thread on SA about it and so is now up to at least 3 threads that turned on him. But in the end they get free CG coveralls.  Roll credits. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, some dude said:

Just wait till you get to the part where the new girlfriend freaks out...

No way that person was a FF girlfriend or even applicant. Maybe in an incel's dreams. Both the woman and FF had their plans arranged around Mr. Moneybags to the right.

20 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

No way that person was a FF girlfriend or even applicant. Maybe in an incel's dreams. Both the woman and FF had their plans arranged around Mr. Moneybags to the right.

Good point. But I'm guessing a girl who goes with FF on that adventure, freaks to the point that a CG helo is mobilized, and an hour later is thumbs up in her new free CG suit is at least an applicant.  Certainly in FF's head, anyway. 

Curious, did you read fagan's book on the california coast?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K38BOB said:

Where ya been bob? He made it up the coast. But the boat is now 400 miles west of san Diego on it's way to Tahiti after he called an Orange Uber for an airlift off when he found himself in too deep.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, K38BOB said:

Great book...