FishFood

Sailing from LA to SF, Solo w/ Little Experience

Well done, you made it.

How great, great adventurers do it...

Next, the importance of duct tape, caulking, bungee cords and the TomTom navigation system for Pelagic sailors.

Congratulations on being real. And extra congratulations for arriving alive.

Congrats to you FishFood, well done.  You’re crazy, but good for you seeking a real adventure  

Morro Bay is a nice place recover, my first time there was via sailboat in 1976. There’s a place near you that sells reasonably priced fish tacos IIRC, at least there was when I rode my bike to MB a couple years ago.  Also since you’re on a budget, Taco de Mexico is good, inexpensive and just a short walk up Dune St from the Embarcadero.  

On 11/3/2019 at 1:44 AM, Al Paca said:

Hot Rod ?

Comes from MDR.  I'm guessing based on the questions, his last name is Sunderland.

9 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Congratulations on being real. And extra congratulations for arriving alive.

Felt like Pinocchio for a second, glad to know I'm real too. Arriving alive is overrated, if only I was set adrift or dead I would have made the news. "Look at me Ma!"

8 hours ago, CruiserJim said:

Congrats to you FishFood, well done.  You’re crazy, but good for you seeking a real adventure  

Morro Bay is a nice place recover, my first time there was via sailboat in 1976. There’s a place near you that sells reasonably priced fish tacos IIRC, at least there was when I rode my bike to MB a couple years ago.  Also since you’re on a budget, Taco de Mexico is good, inexpensive and just a short walk up Dune St from the Embarcadero.  

Had some great pizza across the street at Sabetta's. Will check out the tacos for lunch! There is a Southerly coming in on Tuesday, hoping that is a bit more fun then and it takes me into Santa Cruz quicker. Will throw up my mainsail dimensions later to see if anyone has a sail they want to sell or toss me along the way. Worst comes to worst, my #2 alone should get me up to 7 knts in good winds. Was healing over at about 30° and making great time under jib only during heavy weather. Off to get some donuts and coffee and get started on some writings and boat prep. Been up since 5am already, a lot of work to be done. Old fashioned or a bear claw? Cappuccino or regular coffee? Weird having options again.

With no main you're lucky to be sailing an old 1/2 Tonner - the main on them is little more than a trim tab for the jib.

Oh - did I mention you're fuckin' nuts? ;) Big Sur in November in an unprepared small boat? :blink:

Looks like enough tide and current to get you outside on your own to head north. Good luck with a main replacement. Your sail size may be listed on Sailrite or other websites.

Looks like more oil rigs...https://svkaiquest.com/2018/06/20/sf-to-sb-in-10-legs/

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Looks like enough tide and current to get you outside on your own to head north. Good luck with a main replacement. Your sail size may be listed on Sailrite or other websites.

Looks like more oil rigs...https://svkaiquest.com/2018/06/20/sf-to-sb-in-10-legs/

Maybe if I collect enough crumbled rust on my deck from my mast chafing the rig, I'll be able sell it as scrap for a new

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

With no main you're lucky to be sailing an old 1/2 Tonner - the main on them is little more than a trim tab for the jib.

Oh - did I mention you're fuckin' nuts? ;) Big Sur in November in an unprepared small boat? :blink:

But... They said Point Conception was the hardest part... I'd be betting on me if I wasn't me. My snowboard pants and rain jacket will provide all the protection I need. 

44 minutes ago, Antoine31 said:

Glad to see you are too young to drown happily.   Going to write a book about it? 

I'll still drown happy. Just force a smile on my face and put on Live and Let Die while my ship sinks. If I can get floating in my inflatable kayak, I'll probably end up miserable; best to go down with the ship and act a mad man. As for the book, is this even worthy of one? Start spitballing the next passage I should make and I'll put up a poll for all of SA to choose where I go next. Then comes the book. 

I'm liking this idea to have a poll for my next trip. What do you guys think about a poll to help fund my voyage where you have to pay to vote in, votes cost from let's say $1 - $5 with prices being adjusted for insanity of the trip. Maybe $1 a vote to sail to Hawaii and then LA and $5 a vote for a rounding of Cape Horn and sailing to Annapolis. This seems fair and fun to me. If your someone who wants to see me drown, you can now pay to make it more likely! Lol

37 minutes ago, FishFood said:

I'm liking this idea to have a poll for my next trip. What do you guys think about a poll to help fund my voyage where you have to pay to vote in, votes cost from let's say $1 - $5 with prices being adjusted for insanity of the trip. Maybe $1 a vote to sail to Hawaii and then LA and $5 a vote for a rounding of Cape Horn and sailing to Annapolis. This seems fair and fun to me. If your someone who wants to see me drown, you can now pay to make it more likely! Lol

Would you be willing to have a live chicken aboard?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Would you be willing to have a live chicken aboard?

Yes. We can add a separate pool for funny accolade to go with it. "Transpacific crossing with live chicken aboard" will be a great conversation starter on my resume.

Time to dive into the water while those on the pier and at the restaurant across from me can have a great laugh. Hope I can get this prop unfouled. Sea otters don't bite right?

26 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I'd pay a buck to have you go away.

<3

Just don't wear Speedo's...you would hate to loose a nut to an otter.

I think John Steinbeck sailed with a pet goat. Or was it Josh Slocum. You could follow in their footsteps. And not just their sailing exploits because you do have a way with words too. Give lectures at your various ports of call to earn money. Then a book. Who knows, maybe even star in a big Hollywood movie about your adventures. Have Selena Gomez as your love interest. 

PM me. I think you need a manager. 

Good on ya for answering the call to adventure.  The millennial "life is shit and I want to die" mellow dramatic bullshit is making me roll my eyes though.  I wonder if you'll have second thoughts while your lungs are filling with water.  Maybe do some more prep, plan on surviving and use this as an opportunity to build some character.  You're too young to give up and life is an incredible experience that you may only get once.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FishFood said:

I was starting to really favor you till this. Go back to school.

You are at the age where you still think you won't really die but nobody here wants to encourage that thinking. Friends have died.

3 hours ago, FishFood said:

Hell, we've been following one guy for years as he drifted around the Pacific. Alaska, PNW, Hawaii, San Francisco, Hawaii, Fiji, Vietnam. He was free.

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Actually, Scorpion is a later generation cold molded Peterson HT - frac rig with wider stern.  Much like "Mo' Betta Too".  Being a frac makes sailing it with no main even more interesting.

I was somewhat interested in her when she was on the market almost a decade ago.  Don't know if it took a decade to sell or if she has had other owners in between.  Very surprised she would have sold with no main unless she had really fallen apart in the intervening years.

I had several ad photos of her, but must have deleted them.  Below is an old photo of Scorpion I peeled from BoatDesign.net.  I doubt she looks like that now though.

Pete half.jpg

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Good on ya for answering the call to adventure.  The millennial "life is shit and I want to die" mellow dramatic bullshit is making me roll my eyes though.  I wonder if you'll have second thoughts while your lungs are filling with water.  Maybe do some more prep, plan on surviving and use this as an opportunity to build some character.  You're too young to give up and life is an incredible experience that you may only get once.

Perhaps I misspoke or you inferred too much. I meant that I was at my wits end with regards to the rigidity and close mindedness that was both self and societal imposed. Being a "dreamer" of such adventures but feeling like a fool for it. I didn't really mean it in the I want to die way. That said, I don't really have much fear of death and that is more the result of my perspective on life which; a perspective established long before this weariness of feeling like a societal cog. I completely agree on the prep, if I had the time and $$$ to get everything 100% that would be great and I'd love that. The realities of the situation dictated otherwise and I rolled the dice. Part of the adventure. 

23 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I was starting to really favor you till this. Go back to school.

You are at the age where you still think you won't really die but nobody here wants to encourage that thinking. Friends have died.

Hell, it was made half tongue in cheek... that said I'm open to the idea of letting a bunch of people on the internet dictate an adventure for me. Sounds like a cool story to me. I'll prep more. 

3 hours ago, FishFood said:

But... They said Point Conception was the hardest part... I'd be betting on me if I wasn't me. My snowboard pants and rain jacket will provide all the protection I need. 

Don’t kid yourself. You would not have sailed past Conception or Arguello if conditions were bad. And there are a few more that get fewer accolades: Cape San Martin, Pt. Sur, ...

Look up the NW’ly (only) refuge anchorages at San Simeon, Pt. Lopez, Wreck Beach/Pfeiffer Pt., Stillwater Cove.

You can sail the southerly if there is no chance of an associated storm/gale. Which is why the post above warns of November. There is no shelter for such an event except Monterey, which is the only all weather port along the Central Coast. Turning back is not an option. The gale can oppose the NW swell...super fun...and rather rules out mistaken dreams of downwind surfing.

Each point has a weather buoy. Forecasts are not accurate near land, though. Lotsa shipping right near the offshore Sanctuary borders.

No engine, no main...seems to be tempting Neptune even in the best of conditions. Is there a second headsail, even?

41 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

Don’t kid yourself. You would not have sailed past Conception or Arguello if conditions were bad. And there are a few more that get fewer accolades: Cape San Martin, Pt. Sur, ...

Look up the NW’ly (only) refuge anchorages at San Simeon, Pt. Lopez, Wreck Beach/Pfeiffer Pt., Stillwater Cove.

You can sail the southerly if there is no chance of an associated storm/gale. Which is why the post above warns of November. There is no shelter for such an event except Monterey, which is the only all weather port along the Central Coast. Turning back is not an option. The gale can oppose the NW swell...super fun...and rather rules out mistaken dreams of downwind surfing.

Each point has a weather buoy. Forecasts are not accurate near land, though. Lotsa shipping right near the offshore Sanctuary borders.

No engine, no main...seems to be tempting Neptune even in the best of conditions. Is there a second headsail, even?

I mean. The weather wasn't great. 15+ knots and heavy seas. Understand that is just a taste of what can come though and things get exponentially worse. I have confidence in the boat and now have solar to recharge my house battery. Motor lasted all the way here other than prop fouling. I have 3 good headsails and like 20 spinnakers. I think the main was ruined and these are great because the previous owner never raised the headsails from what I glean.

Just swam in these cold, killer sea otter infested waters to clear my prop. Seems the line came loose after I cut it. Was definitely stuck in there at one point though, my topside had a rope gash from the line being tugged by the prop.

I will prep more tomorrow with regards to charting and weather forecasts. I have been woefully underprepared in that area (that could probably be said for every aspect of this adventure though) and really appreciate the reality check. 

20191109_144118.thumb.jpg.0c0a553ab7803683c8126b087e572cee.jpg20191109_141326.thumb.jpg.ae71f0725df2f6c1d42c10b7229282db.jpg

Something is fucked up so I'm the sideways picture guy. A quirk in the story.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Hell, we've been following one guy for years as he drifted around the Pacific. Alaska, PNW, Hawaii, San Francisco, Hawaii, Fiji, Vietnam. He was free.

The value is in having some influence in the story. Like those interactive Netflix movies. Cheaper than Netflix, much more entertaining.

I think I'm going to sail a Laser back down from SF. I like where that guy's head was at. 

2 hours ago, Al Paca said:

I think John Steinbeck sailed with a pet goat. Or was it Josh Slocum. You could follow in their footsteps. And not just their sailing exploits because you do have a way with words too. Give lectures at your various ports of call to earn money. Then a book. Who knows, maybe even star in a big Hollywood movie about your adventures. Have Selena Gomez as your love interest. 

PM me. I think you need a manager. 

As soon as I read the Selena Gomez part, I was hooked on your ideas for my life plans. PM sent.

If you plan on making money from YouTube or Vimeo or whatever, better shirtless shots will matter. Just a thought from the cougar demographic. But really, don't drop out to do this. Get a leave of absence or whatever. What were/are you majoring in, anyway? This quixotic/arrogant quest probably qualifies for course credit in something, if you live. But remember the first responders and don't put them at risk cuz you think you are invincible.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

If you plan on making money from YouTube or Vimeo or whatever, better shirtless shots will matter. Just a thought from the cougar demographic. But really, don't drop out to do this. Get a leave of absence or whatever. What were/are you majoring in, anyway? This quixotic/arrogant quest probably qualifies for course credit in something, if you live. But remember the first responders and don't put them at risk cuz you think you are invincible.

Don't plan on dropping out completely, just this semester. I'm an econ major and transfer student at a California Community College. Had a 4.0 last semester. Classes cost me like $100 because of government stupidity (would be much reluctant to drop out if the financial cost was higher) and the withdrawals on my record will probably be outweighed by the story behind them. I also started in the Spring, need two years of courses for most schools and can't get Spring transfer for my top picks. Poised to have a gap semester but I guess that can be replaced with a failed semester. Will re-enroll at a CC come spring. Have until February to complete more adventures.

I don't plan on documenting my adventures in that manner. If I actually do something book worthy, maybe that. Perhaps just personal journals. I should probably get built for my potential love life with Selena though.

I think I'll steer clear of killing anyone else if it comes down to it. That's a judgement call for the moment and hopefully that risk will be mitigated preemptively with proper prep.

2 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Actually, Scorpion is a later generation cold molded Peterson HT - frac rig with wider stern.  Much like "Mo' Betta Too".  Being a frac makes sailing it with no main even more interesting.

I was somewhat interested in her when she was on the market almost a decade ago.  Don't know if it took a decade to sell or if she has had other owners in between.  Very surprised she would have sold with no main unless she had really fallen apart in the intervening years.

I had several ad photos of her, but must have deleted them.  Below is an old photo of Scorpion I peeled from BoatDesign.net.  I doubt she looks like that now though.

Pete half.jpg

Sadly, she's a bit more tired than that. Gonna try and get that shiny cockpit floor back in order asap. Was gonna mention the frac but I'm very ignorant as to what the differences in sail plan even mean. Seems the main carries much more of the sail area on here though. 

Ok, on anchor and running low on phone battery. Kinda close to my neighbor and not sure what's standard but oh well. He/she can say something after I drift into them. Will leave my fenders hanging off. 

Sweet dreams SA.

6 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Sadly, she's a bit more tired than that. Gonna try and get that shiny cockpit floor back in order asap. Was gonna mention the frac but I'm very ignorant as to what the differences in sail plan even mean. Seems the main carries much more of the sail area on here though. 

Ok, on anchor and running low on phone battery. Kinda close to my neighbor and not sure what's standard but oh well. He/she can say something after I drift into them. Will leave my fenders hanging off. 

Sweet dreams SA.

Nice boat, worth some effort.

If "gap semester" is withdrawal that is infinitely better than a failing grade, if that is what failed semester means.  Story is color for gap. Just stopping showing up and failing grade looks worse for transfer eval.  But your saga. 

This?

She looks like a Grampian 26...

Image result for selena gomez"

Interesting comment but I haven't got a clue what you mean - the G26 doesn't have even a hint of hotness about it, only comfort.

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Interesting comment but I haven't got a clue what you mean - the G26 doesn't have even a hint of hotness about it, only comfort.

Sorry, didn't think she was all that hot

not unlike the g26 they are both appealing to some.

Mebbe that was harsh....

12 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

If "gap semester" is withdrawal that is infinitely better than a failing grade, if that is what failed semester means.  Story is color for gap. Just stopping showing up and failing grade looks worse for transfer eval.  But your saga. 

Yeah I can withdraw from my classes and get a W for the class instead of an F. Will be doing so; not too damaging.

• Like 1

I only had an 8ft measuring tape at the docks and when I measured my sails I had to do so with compound measurements. Probably not the most accurate, especially considering my sails were measured on the ground as well. But I got P ~ 36.12' or 434" and E ~ 13.3' or 160". Should I do it with rope and hoist the sail instead?

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Sorry, didn't think she was all that hot

not unlike the g26 they are both appealing to some.

Mebbe that was harsh....

She's kinda like a starter Hollywood GF imo, definitely wouldn't be my end game. Please no one bring this comment up when I use her as a stepping stone to the limelight. 

Thought the older rich woman you met in Starbucks would be your starter. She sees your shiny cockpit [floor] and wants to touch it.

You might be in luck, I have an old sail from a J-100 that just might fit it had slides but they

can be cut off It's tired but not dead has battens and two reef's

M.

9 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Thought the older rich woman you met in Starbucks would be your starter. She sees your shiny cockpit [floor] and wants to touch it.

Was using Hollywood to refer to the scene rather than geographically. I will for sure be getting a sugar mama beforehand to fund my Hollywood beginnings. I will let her touch my shiny floor all day long while I plot my ascent to Selena and beyond.

1 hour ago, FishFood said:

I only had an 8ft measuring tape at the docks and when I measured my sails I had to do so with compound measurements. Probably not the most accurate, especially considering my sails were measured on the ground as well. But I got P ~ 36.12' or 434" and E ~ 13.3' or 160". Should I do it with rope and hoist the sail instead?

Going to be tough finding a main of those dimensions.  Having said that, almost any frac rig IOR Half Tonner will fit the bill.

I suspect the main on SJB's N/M 30 (Mo Betta Too) is similar to Scorpions, and most certainly an Elite 30 or Oyster SJ30 have almost identical mainsail dimensions.  The problem is those are quite rare in North America.

Lots of J/Boats, but a J/100 or J/29 frac are about 2.5 ft longer on the mainsail luff.

Most likely you may find something with a similar luff but 2-3 feet shorter on the foot.  Not ideal, but better than nothing.

18 hours ago, Al Paca said:

Give lectures at your various ports of call to earn money.

Wait.... what?

? *EARN* ?

22 minutes ago, randii said:

Wait.... what?

? *EARN* ?

He was being polite...-_-

The Main that I have is 37' on the luff and 13' on the foot I have a loft at my disposal so it would be pretty simple 

to cut down by removing the foot and resewing the patch work it would only take about an hour you would loose

@2"-3" on the foot

2"-3

• Like 1

So how many times have you read Kon Tiki?

You have to tell us why and how you bought that boat, if you only have limited sailing knowledge, as you claim?

Is this it?

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/pinnacle-30

"One-off MORC 'maxi' racer, 'Perfect Stranger'.

Hull used to create the mold for the production version, PINNACLE 29.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/pinnacle-29

From the earlier link, the builder appears to be Charles Didham

Hubba...some Peterson/Didham cold porn. Brown Sugar, part way down the page. https://sailwithutkan.weebly.com/boats.html

"  "BROWN SUGAR could attain 20 knots in the right conditions. She is so light she'll break loose and plane like a powerboat in San Francisco Bay." Didham took a radical approach to the construction of BROWN SUGAR. He was ruthless with weight, shaving it to the minimum limits wherever possible. Preferring the WEST System (tm) cold molded hull, he describes BROWN SUGAR as "probably the most extreme example of cold molding in the U.S. to date. "

Picture

Was using Hollywood to refer to the scene rather than geographically. I will for sure be getting a sugar mama beforehand to fund my Hollywood beginnings. I will let her touch my shiny floor all day long while I plot my ascent to Selena and beyond.

"Sailing lessons" during the week is a good way to meet some.  

3 hours ago, randii said:

Wait.... what?

? *EARN* ?

Jeez. *EARN*ed a ton of money for this boat and trip. I guess simple minds take an idea and extrapolate how they please though. That said, go suck a fat choad. 

2 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

You have to tell us why and how you bought that boat, if you only have limited sailing knowledge, as you claim?

Is this it?

Hubba...some Peterson/Didham cold porn. Brown Sugar, part way down the page. https://sailwithutkan.weebly.com/boats.html

"  "BROWN SUGAR could attain 20 knots in the right conditions. She is so light she'll break loose and plane like a powerboat in San Francisco Bay." Didham took a radical approach to the construction of BROWN SUGAR. He was ruthless with weight, shaving it to the minimum limits wherever possible. Preferring the WEST System (tm) cold molded hull, he describes BROWN SUGAR as "probably the most extreme example of cold molding in the U.S. to date. "

Picture

Have a knowledge of sailing and sailboats. Owned a Columbia 26 in HS, bought it in late October in Maryland and moved it once via outboard to a slip where it sat for the winter and then we moved. Ran it aground on the outboard trip and got towed by some crabbers. Have restored a Bristol 34 with my Dad just to move away again. Owned sailboats, designed sailboats, dreamed about sailing, been to boat shows... But alas, no sailing experience.

Umm I bought the bought because it was the ticket to an adventure, badass imo, and because chicks can get in on my open transom.

Yes, the builder is "CJDIDHAMY" on the title.

4 hours ago, Pro looper said:

You might be in luck, I have an old sail from a J-100 that just might fit it had slides but they

can be cut off It's tired but not dead has battens and two reef's

M.

Awesome, might work to help me up the last bit of the way. Need to PM you still. 

4 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Going to be tough finding a main of those dimensions.  Having said that, almost any frac rig IOR Half Tonner will fit the bill.

I suspect the main on SJB's N/M 30 (Mo Betta Too) is similar to Scorpions, and most certainly an Elite 30 or Oyster SJ30 have almost identical mainsail dimensions.  The problem is those are quite rare in North America.

Lots of J/Boats, but a J/100 or J/29 frac are about 2.5 ft longer on the mainsail luff.

Most likely you may find something with a similar luff but 2-3 feet shorter on the foot.  Not ideal, but better than nothing.

I found very few used sails online. Will probably do as you say. I have a massive pole resulting in the big foot. I mean... boom. 

7 hours ago, FishFood said:

I think for used sails you would measure on the ground with light tension between the corners, then pray. That is what the dealers do. Adjust for any known issues you observed from actual sailing...like if the E was too short or too long. Or issues at the Cunningham.

For new sails you measure the rig and the sail designed adjusts to suit.

Decimal feet seems to be the US norm.

5 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Is this it?

"

Scorpion is an IOR Half Ton.  Very similar to SJB's Mo Bettah Too.  There is a thread in Fix-it on his restoration of her.

The first couple of photos below are of Scorpion and MB Too and you can see the similarities between Scorpion and MB Too.  They could almost be sister ships - except: they are both one-offs, one is wood and the other is FRP, and one is Peterson and the other is N/M.

The Pinnacle 29 was a MORC design - much wider stern  with minimal overhang and MH rig. The last photo is a Pinnacle 29 and here you can see the differences between Scorpion and the Pinnacle 29

Pete half.jpg

825353171_2017-09-0511_34_20.jpg.d15fa33d4e1c9498c24cce9b96df09c7.thumb.jpg.5ac47d826f408c031c2dcf563d570259.jpg

6012_1_big.jpg

May have found a couple of mains from Masthead in FL that may suit your boat.  One is from an Andrews 30 and the other is off a G&S 30 (another similar frac rig half ton).  https://mastheadsailinggear.com/used-sails/?luff=36&post_type=product&product_cat=Main&Luff=custom_field&searchsubmit=Search

The one from the G&S 30 is probably your best bet.  Less than $400 for either.

10 hours ago, FishFood said:

Yes

2 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Yes

Yeah, probably a better idea.

What do you guys and gals think about selling off the sails I will never use on this thing to help pay for a haul and refinish? I have 4 spinnakers and a "Dazy Staysail". I don't know that I'll ever fly a spinnaker solo. They are in great condition. This previous owner never had competent crew resulting in little use across the inventory.

1 hour ago, 12 metre said:

May have found a couple of mains from Masthead in FL that may suit your boat.  One is from an Andrews 30 and the other is off a G&S 30 (another similar frac rig half ton).  https://mastheadsailinggear.com/used-sails/?luff=36&post_type=product&product_cat=Main&Luff=custom_field&searchsubmit=Search

The one from the G&S 30 is probably your best bet.  Less than $400 for either.

Thanks! Need to see if I can get things shipped fast enough and where it will be best to. Still trying to do this in a somewhat timely manner. 

I have a bunch of ballast thrown in randomly throughout the bilge as well. Wondering if this can be removed to reduce weight... after this trip of course.

49 minutes ago, FishFood said:

I have a bunch of ballast thrown in randomly throughout the bilge as well. Wondering if this can be removed to reduce weight... after this trip of course.

Fuck no. Put more in. You're supposed to have 600 lbs on the rail to sail upwind. Stacking your spinnakers to windward isn't going to cut it.

23 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Fuck no. Put more in. You're supposed to have 600 lbs on the rail to sail upwind. Stacking your spinnakers to windward isn't going to cut it.

I can find two 300lb sons of bitches to hobble over the cabin as I shift buckets of fried chicken to the windward side. Can use a U shaped dolley that goes around the mast or something. 

As long as they steer clear of my control lines (pretty easy now), they should be a net gain in terms of practicality.

Edit: No offense to those who are > 300lbs

19 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

But

On 11/9/2019 at 5:18 PM, FishFood said:

I have.......................... like 20 spinnakers

4 hours ago, El Boracho said:

Decimal feet seems to be the US norm.

:rolleyes: You fuckers will do anything to avoid going metric.

Decimal feet FFS?

12 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

:rolleyes: You fuckers will do anything to avoid going metric.

Decimal feet FFS?

Yea, give the luddites some credit towards sanity. Decimal feet is used in US land surveying as well. 7.38’ is wayyy better than the moronic 7’ 4 7/13” or whatever the mentally impaired love for its “beauty and simplicity.”

Yes, one can find tape measures in decimal feet. Great way to completely discombobulate the sawdust making and nail bending class.

• Like 2

Can I sand down the bad varnish areas on my cockpit floor and refinish for some water protection? Peeled off some slim rotten splinters and want to prevent further damage. This would just be a temp fix. Cockpit floor is first order of business in Half Moon.

Just wanted to say that you're insane and I love it. Best of luck on the trip, and keep posting pictures!

Can I sand down the bad varnish areas on my cockpit floor and refinish for some water protection? Peeled off some slim rotten splinters and want to prevent further damage. This would just be a temp fix. Cockpit floor is first order of business in Half Moon.

Yes, although if the surface is degraded you “may” be better off with a coat or 2 of clear epoxy. It’s winter so you can sand/varnish it later. I say “may” as If you epoxy one area you’ll need to epoxy the whole thing at some point.

if you go the epoxy route, use peel ply for instant non skid. It won’t be clear and pretty but you can sand off the texture before you varnish & make it pretty again.

Ok well I got my solar panel yesterday and it fried on the spot, I don't know what I did wrong. I'm not waiting till Wednesday for a new one so I'm setting off with limited power again. Hope to update you guys in a few days. Will be navigating via sight again because my iPad is dead and I'm too impatient to row into shore and go charge it again. Yes, I'm being a jack ass. No, I don't care and please don't tell me how to live my fucking life.

- FishFood

Edit: To appease you annoying fucks who say "think of the children" (Coast Guard), I just won't radio the motherfuckers! Bon voyage!

OK sheesh, I give. wtf? Is the consensus of the SAForm-iratti that this sprinkling of proper terms is giving away the puppet-ness of it all?

I think FishFood must not be that impecunious or stole the solar panel, else would have tried to get refund.

6 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I think FishFood must not be that impecunious or stole the solar panel, else would have tried to get refund.

Word foul! for unnecessarily expressive verbiage.  It's a cheap shot, I know.  

7 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Lol, I got a refund. Was amazon, can't find an all in one panel that fits my needs in the delightful town of Morro Bay.

30 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

OK sheesh, I give. wtf? Is the consensus of the SAForm-iratti that this sprinkling of proper terms is giving away the puppet-ness of it all?

I know a lot about sailboats. No experience with sails up though. See above.

22 hours ago, FishFood said:

Have a knowledge of sailing and sailboats. Owned a Columbia 26 in HS, bought it in late October in Maryland and moved it once via outboard to a slip where it sat for the winter and then we moved. Ran it aground on the outboard trip and got towed by some crabbers. Have restored a Bristol 34 with my Dad just to move away again. Owned sailboats, designed sailboats, dreamed about sailing, been to boat shows... 

22 hours ago, FishFood said:

Have a knowledge of sailing and sailboats. Owned a Columbia 26 in HS, bought it in late October in Maryland and moved it once via outboard to a slip where it sat for the winter and then we moved. Ran it aground on the outboard trip and got towed by some crabbers. Have restored a Bristol 34 with my Dad just to move away again. Owned sailboats, designed sailboats, dreamed about sailing, been to boat shows... But alas, no sailing experience.

Yes but did you look at thousands of boats first?

Has this been your dream since you were 13?

Have you drawn a sea turtle with your meandering course?

Do you have an adequate supply of Parmigiano Reggiano and enough sprouts?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Yes but did you look at thousands of boats first?

Has this been your dream since you were 13?

Have you drawn a sea turtle with your meandering course?

Do you have an adequate supply of Parmigiano Reggiano and enough sprouts?

I ran the jib sheets through random eyeloops on deck before ripping them out and finding out what these track and rolly things are for. Is that telling enough?

Dream to do something on a boat, not this passage. Did very little studying into it before hand, just saw "Conception" referenced a bunch.

Nope.

Bye, bye, Morro Rock. Hello, pretty blue thang.

20191111_113448.thumb.jpg.6147e0e05028c73542da5bc2b9161277.jpg

Hope to update you folks when in Santa Cruz approx. two days from now. Chow.

Well, he's got a good weather window. Seems to me like we're entering one of those High Pressure Ridge droughts.

4 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Well, he's got a good weather window. Seems to me like we're entering one of those High Pressure Ridge droughts.

Everything but wind it seems. My motor is now dead because I left with half charge and used it to get 10 miles from Morro in search of winds. But then I checked windy.com and found I'll likely be floating here for the next two days. Been about 3 hours since I've moved. Fun. Punishment for storming out of harbor in frustration. Time to scream into a pillow and curse myself for getting in this mess. 

31 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Everything but wind it seems. My motor is now dead because I left with half charge and used it to get 10 miles from Morro in search of winds. But then I checked windy.com and found I'll likely be floating here for the next two days. Been about 3 hours since I've moved. Fun. Punishment for storming out of harbor in frustration. Time to scream into a pillow and curse myself for getting in this mess. 

there's an old saying about timelines and sailing. They don't mix very well.

My 20 year old has done some dumb things in the name of "adventure" .... but nothing approaching this.

I fear we are watching a slow motion snuff film!  

Fish Food .. do you know what loves to swim/eat around Davenport ?  (They love nice yellow inflatable kayaks ... by the way)

Great-white-sharks-off-Se-007.jpg

We should have sent a tracker. What a horrible loss it will be when the iPad can no longer send updates. We should have learned from the Rimus experience.

You Bastard. As your manager need I remind you of my 10% fee. 

I bet he is regretting not getting a stack of Nat Geographic for these days of light winds and no batteries.

Should have checked the forecast. Almost nothing until Wednesday, then just an afternoon onshore 7kt puff for a couple hours. 

Things get interesting Friday tho...

05031377-EB4E-4F7F-B9F8-4F55DA279EF4.jpeg

6 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Yup. There are but few things a sailor can choose. One is to have everything, ship and crew, in good working order. Second is choosing when to leave a safe port. Our beginner has scoffed at both. Once offshore that luxury of options very often vanishes.

13 hours ago, Raz'r said:

No timeline really at this point, just unnecessary feelings of frustration as I drifted slowly back toward Morro Rock.

13 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Should have charged the iPad, too. 

But at least you got an Amazon refund.

Yeah I was just being an irrational child and hopped in my green machine to sail. erm... motor into the horizon.

12 hours ago, Al Paca said:

You Bastard. As your manager need I remind you of my 10% fee. 

I'm building up the story. Leaving with half charge and now being out of a motor again is sure to make things worse and therefore better as a story. Like the next time I float into an oil rig, what will it look like when I have no wind to get me away from it? Tie off on their pilings with my mast as a fender, climb up, and get some hot food. Your 10% is only getting bigger.

10 hours ago, Ignatius J. Reilly said:

Queue the ominous music .... 

I do wonder if the two women and the dog found drifting around in the Pacific a few years ago, know they have a brother!

knuckleheads.jpg

Uhh, that's actually my lesbian Aunt Kimmy and her cunt wife Rebecca. They were on some mission to prove "lesbians do it better". It always makes for a great laugh when this gets brought up at Thanksgiving. Thanks for the reminder of home.

10 hours ago, socalrider said:

Should have checked the forecast. Almost nothing until Wednesday, then just an afternoon onshore 7kt puff for a couple hours. 

Things get interesting Friday tho...

05031377-EB4E-4F7F-B9F8-4F55DA279EF4.jpeg

Yay?

Spent last night bouncing roughly North and South very slowly in an effort to just sleep and reset my mind. Worked well with 1hr naps and I'm at least past Pt. Estero. Will be staying about 5 miles offshore with the hope I'll find better winds and to prevent washing up aground. Hoping to make 15-20 miles today. Guess Santa Cruz is more likely to be reached on Friday when I can blast up in those 20-25 knt winds, probably pull out the #3 as just my #2 left me heeled over at about 30° anytime I had over 15knts. Does this thing like a crew on the rails or something? 

• Like 1