FishFood

Sailing from LA to SF, Solo w/ Little Experience

Just now, FishFood said:

Half my tongue is in my cheek. Only half though. 

Sure it is.

Do the R2AK, then zip down to Florida in March and do the Everglades Challenge.  Just even finish both, never mind placing, and then come back here and you'll have some serious cred.

Of course pics, or it never happened.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Sure it is.

Do the R2AK, then zip down to Florida in March and do the Everglades Challenge.  Just even finish both, never mind placing, and then come back here and you'll have some serious cred.

Of course pics, or it never happened.

While I am arrogant Ed, I am at least aware of it enough to dip my toes into the perception of most :rolleyes:. I saw EC posted about and was a little interested. Could I do it in a hobie? These little buggers can be had pretty inexpensively and are plentiful.

I'm also trying to build up the atmosphere of "this kid is a fucking idiot who won't make it" as to make the completion more of a shell shock. 

1 minute ago, FishFood said:

While I am arrogant Ed, I am at least aware of it enough to dip my toes into the perception of most :rolleyes:. I saw EC posted about and was a little interested. Could I do it in a hobie? These little buggers can be had pretty inexpensively and are plentiful.

People have done it in Hobies.  You have to be able to launch with only crew manpower, no other assistance.  I believe it's either solo or 2 crew, there are different classes of boats.  Almost anything goes, man power, sail power, no motors of course.  There aren't a lot of rules, that's intentional.  Check the current 2020 thread or the past threads for a wealth of info and pics.

10 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

"Amateurs seek adventures. Professionals seek to avoid them." Webb Chiles

https://www.inthepresentsea.com/the_actual_site/wit.html

Judgement develops, provided one survives.

If one does not, it only matters to those who remain.

Ahh, this is what you screenshotted earlier in the thread. Good stuff.

11 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

People have done it in Hobies.  You have to be able to launch with only crew manpower, no other assistance.  I believe it's either solo or 2 crew, there are different classes of boats.  Almost anything goes, man power, sail power, no motors of course.  There aren't a lot of rules, that's intentional.  Check the current 2020 thread or the past threads for a wealth of info and pics.

Thanks for the lead, seems like a warmer R2AK. Might try for this year if I can swing the funds.

I'm pretty competitive and don't see a point to paying multiple thousands of dollars to lose. I could just do the passage alone at that point and get just as much satisfaction. That's why I'd want to try for a placing or race record if I'm in one.

1 minute ago, FishFood said:

Ahh, this is what you screenshotted earlier in the thread. Good stuff.

Thanks for the lead, seems like a warmer R2AK. Might try for this year if I can swing the funds.

I am couldn't say for sure but I do believe the EC requires more stamina than the R2AK.  

In my haste to write, I should clarify, the race starts by getting your boat, which is well above the water line on the beach, into the water.

2 minutes ago, FishFood said:

I'm pretty competitive and don't see a point to paying multiple thousands of dollars to lose. I could just do the passage alone at that point and get just as much satisfaction. That's why I'd want to try for a placing or race record if I'm in one.

I am not at all competitive unless it comes to women.  But enough of that.

One of the beauties of the EC is while there are checkpoints, there are many possible routes.  Depending on your craft, you can go offshore a little or you can mostly stay in protected water.  There is a large bay that everyone has to cross.  There is a lot of strategy involved depending on weather, tides, etc., as to which route may be more advantageous.  Nav skills are important, there are a lot of winding waterways along the Florida coast and you can lose a lot of time backtracking, without proper planning, channels open and close and water levels can vary with wind direction..  Then there are the bugs.  Big bugs.  Alaska has bears, Florida has gators. And bears, but they are black bears at least, not the big brown kind.  Black bears will attack rarely but they are basically vegan.  Grizzlies like meat or kill you just because. 

Snakes.   But only the smaller ones are poisonous.  Badly poisonous. The biggest ones are constrictors, often abandoned pets. 

No kielbasa; don't want snakes and gators fighting over it after they, um, "subdue" you.  Gators can jump their length in their first surprise spring.  

But the water is warm!

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

I am couldn't say for sure but I do believe the EC requires more stamina than the R2AK.  

In my haste to write, I should clarify, the race starts by getting your boat, which is well above the water line on the beach, into the water.

I don't believe the EC has any spots that are 14 knots of adverse currents with 40-knot headwinds and water temps in the low 50's, but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, FishFood said:

If MH and I don't race together, I kinda like the idea of using a Hobie in R2AK. I could probably get one cheap up in WA. If I was to sail non-stop (15 min naps like my passage up the coast) could I be competitive for outright placings? If I have a boat capable of keeping up, I truly believe I could push my body for a week straight with minimal sleep.

Whatcha guys think? The current fastest solo time is a joke imo, full disrespect to Roger Mann. I think giving props just for finishing is bullshit and the result of most people being normies who focus on "reality" too much.

Yes my youthful arrogance is on full display and I know that. Even when cognizant of it, it's nearly impossible to feel otherwise. It's likely a byproduct of being young and have a limited world experience. But, it's what keeps me doing fun shit so I don't mind it too much. Don't fault me too much for it.

Anything is possible. Except maybe time travel, but we’re not sure about that yet.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

I don't believe the EC has any spots that are 14 knots of adverse currents with 40-knot headwinds and water temps in the low 50's, but I could be wrong.

No Ish, you are probably right, however in my readings here over the years, the EC offers it's own challenges.  

Could it be an East Coast-West Coast beef like those rappers have sometimes?

Honestly I don't follow the R2AK thread as close as I do the EC thread.

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

Anything is possible. Except maybe time travel, but we’re not sure about that yet.

Time will tell.

4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I'm chock-full of stamina. Well, as long as I'm not floating in one place for too long. Then my mental endurance begins to wither. In physically demanding situations (distance running, long hikes, etc), I used to imagine my ex looking at me and thinking I'm a pussy. Not that she ever did (who am I kidding..) but ego can be quite fueling.

4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I am not at all competitive unless it comes to women.  But enough of that.

One of the beauties of the EC is while there are checkpoints, there are many possible routes.  Depending on your craft, you can go offshore a little or you can mostly stay in protected water.  There is a large bay that everyone has to cross.  There is a lot of strategy involved depending on weather, tides, etc., as to which route may be more advantageous.  Nav skills are important, there are a lot of winding waterways along the Florida coast and you can lose a lot of time backtracking, without proper planning, channels open and close and water levels can vary with wind direction..  Then there are the bugs.  Big bugs.  Alaska has bears, Florida has gators. And bears, but they are black bears at least, not the big brown kind.  Black bears will attack rarely but they are basically vegan.  Grizzlies like meat or kill you just because. 

But like clew said, the weather/water is warmer. I'm thinking that negates all the extra/different challenges. I'll just have to worry about keeping my margaritas cold.

3 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Why did you and Multihauler cut up that cat? To use as amas on another Tri?

Multi actually cut it in NZ to ship it here, I was just playing around. Too hard to ship in one piece, now he has the problem of assembling it though. Maybe he'll make a foiling Franken-tri.

3 hours ago, floater said:

have a gander at the credentials of this crew - and yet they "might have lost their lives" (their words) in the R2AK - if not for rescue by the Coasties.

https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race/team-holopuni/

and nearer to home, ial its no joke out there.

Sounds fun! Lol

@tama_manu is going to let me use his hobie while I'm in the area. I figure I can train pretty extensively here on both my boat and that. Zip down to FL for EC and try to rent/buy/borrow a hobie there for that race and then come back for the passage to Port Townsend to hopefully race with MH. 

17 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

I wasn't ready for that photo. I had a traumatic flashback to the other thread and all the sailorly talk about more than a mouthful. I hope that is not -ist.

The nitrites cancel the polyester residue. 

The kid is still growing. He needs all the nitrites he can get. 

Anyone want to join Team FishFood for EC? No breaks but I'll build a sleeping platform that hangs off a tether and you can be hiked out in your slumber. Although, you may have to get up every now and switch to windward. Whatcha say @Ed Lada?

28 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Anyone want to join Team FishFood for EC? No breaks but I'll build a sleeping platform that hangs off a tether and you can be hiked out in your slumber. Although, you may have to get up every now and switch to windward. Whatcha say @Ed Lada?

So do you have a Hobie Cat or should I tow this one down? Just got a trailer hitch on my car lat week. 

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/winnipeg/sail-boat/1427395377?undefined

Can't do it this coming year but if you go again in 2021...

You know about the bridges, right? 

Ted Peters Smoked Fish. Get some.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FishFood said:

I would love to do that but there are some issues.  I have pretty limited mobility due to  an unknown degenerative neurological condition.  No balance, and general muscle weakness, particularly in the legs. In addition I had both knees replaced due to severe arthritis and I can't bend them more than 90 degrees.  I can't walk terribly well or any distance.  It is difficult for me to get in any boat, let alone stay in one due to those issues.  But if you need ballast I think I could be useful!   Just chain me somewhere out of reach of gators and snakes and give me a margarita IV!  And slather me in SPF 100 sun screen, my hair was red before it turned a distinguished silver color and I sunburn quite easily.  Watcha think?  ;)

If I came, I couldn't bring any homemade kielbasa because one of those food sniffing Beagles would rat me out to Clew and she would take great pleasure in handcuffing me in a heartbeat!  I would never even get out of the airport.  She would take me to one of those back rooms for interrogation,m and that would be that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

If I came, I couldn't bring any homemade kielbasa because one of those food sniffing Beagles would rat me out to Clew and she would take great pleasure in handcuffing me in a heartbeat!  I would never even get out of the airport.  She would take me to one of those back rooms for interrogation,m and that would be that.

You would get out of the airport. I prefer privacy for handcuffing. 

Your bigger problem seems to be that when Fishy gets nervous he wants to jettison ballast.

That smoked fish is better than you could imagine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaeredil said:

So do you have a Hobie Cat or should I tow this one down? Just got a trailer hitch on my car lat week. 

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/winnipeg/sail-boat/1427395377?undefined

I was speaking about Everglades Challenge but if my spot for R2AK doesn't materialize, bring it on down. You have to be a crazy motherfucker who wants to sail non-stop though. I think I have access to a Hobie down here to train on but I would try and purchase/borrow/rent a Hobie on the spot if I start flying around to different races.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Can't do it this coming year but if you go again in 2021...

You know about the bridges, right? 

Ted Peters Smoked Fish. Get some.

I'm game. No but I just found out about them! I will attach a dolly to the hobie on the side that will allow the boat to pivot when I need to bring it over land and I will make a quick step mast system for the bridges. There, fixed!

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

I would love to do that but there are some issues.  I have pretty limited mobility due to  an unknown degenerative neurological condition.  No balance, and general muscle weakness, particularly in the legs. In addition I had both knees replaced due to severe arthritis and I can't bend them more than 90 degrees.  I can't walk terribly well or any distance.  It is difficult for me to get in any boat, let alone stay in one due to those issues.  But if you need ballast I think I could be useful!   Just chain me somewhere out of reach of gators and snakes and give me a margarita IV!  And slather me in SPF 100 sun screen, my hair was red before it turned a distinguished silver color and I sunburn quite easily.  Watcha think?  ;)

Sounds like good writing material, let's do It! 

The catch is, you will serve as railmeat and we have to strap you in a sleeping platform that somehow can be winched from side to side. Drawing up the plans now! I will include an insulated margarita bag with a camelbak style straw.

P.S. I'm serious, I'd love to make my life more crazy and step further into the twilight zone.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FishFood said:

I was speaking about Everglades Challenge but if my spot for R2AK doesn't materialize, bring it on down. You have to be a crazy motherfucker who wants to sail non-stop though. I think I have access to a Hobie down here to train on but I would try and purchase/borrow/rent a Hobie on the spot if I start flying around to different races.

I'm game. No but I just found out about them! I will attach a dolly to the hobie on the side that will allow the boat to pivot when I need to bring it over land and I will make a quick step system for the mast for bridges. There, fixed!

Sounds like good writing material, let's do It! 

The catch is, you will serve as railmeat and we have to strap you in a sleeping platform that somehow can be winched from side to side. Drawing up the plans now! I will include an insulated margarita bag with a camelbak style straw.

P.S. I'm serious, I'd love to make my life more crazy and step further into the twilight zone.

Crazy motherfucker: check

Want to sail nonstop: check

I was referring to the EC too actually, but if you make it up here for R2AK and need crew, you should send me a message. 

I don't have the most impressive credentials but I can sail and I can suffer, and I'm somewhat familiar with the southern bit of the course for R2AK...

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 3:25 PM, FishFood said:

to show that I at least know not to head down below, cower and make things worse. Don't worry casc, you're safe in the basement and won't have to worry about adverse conditions when you take the daysailer out ;)

For a guy who doesn't know shit you're pretty funny, especially when you get feisty and defensive. It's truly amusing how little you know about the level of experience of the people you are trying to give shit to on here.

Your best shot at r2ak glory is with MH. Unless you have a weapon faster than a 32ft cat, you will not beat the solo record. The beach cat record solo or under 20 solo bragging rights are too lofty as well, so you are left with your own personal goal. It is 750 miles, more than twice the EC at 300, except the Ultimate, which is something like 1100 and requires portage.

If you sailed all the way to PT  they would likely let you race but otherwise the RC wants to see experience for solo efforts. The cost is expensive when you include getting back again. We watched a guy like you called Dock Rat try it in a Haida 26 and the light air and rowing killed him. You really have to look closer to see people like the overachieving Melges 2 last year to see how much effort it takes in those latitudes. Some seat time in that Hobie will pay off big later on.

I think there is a bit of Ian Dubbin in you so use the force [or something] Takem behind the clubhouse and show them a drubbing. That and the Commodores daughter thing...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

zip down to Florida in March and do the Everglades Challenge. 

What ever happened to the Worrell 1000?  That seemed like it would be a fun bit of adventure....

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Your best shot at r2ak glory is with MH. Unless you have a weapon faster than a 32ft cat, you will not beat the solo record. The beach cat record solo or under 20 solo bragging rights are too lofty as well, so you are left with your own personal goal. It is 750 miles, more than twice the EC at 300, except the Ultimate, which is something like 1100 and requires portage.

If you sailed all the way to PT  they would likely let you race but otherwise the RC wants to see experience for solo efforts. The cost is expensive when you include getting back again. We watched a guy like you called Dock Rat try it in a Haida 26 and the light air and rowing killed him. You really have to look closer to see people like the overachieving Melges 2 last year to see how much effort it takes in those latitudes. Some seat time in that Hobie will pay off big later on.

I think there is a bit of Ian Dubbin in you so use the force [or something] Takem behind the clubhouse and show them a drubbing. That and the Commodores daughter thing...

Or, FishFood, consider bringing me along to make the RC happy(er)

Did you re anchor the 70ft boat? The border collie report you to the marine division of the SPCA? Have you crashed a Hobie yet?? Is there a Denny's in Halfmoon Bay?

http://www.interestingauthors.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/photo-hobie-surf-shop-phil-edwards-mickey-munoz-cta-hawaii-sunset-surfing-surfer-interview-1973-3.jpg

17 hours ago, Vaeredil said:

18 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Wax a solo cat? 

Hmmmm

70391235_3053757767999575_4098491165186195456_n.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, multihuler said:

Wax a solo cat? 

Hmmmm

Is the wood s'posed to make it look slower?:)

2 hours ago, multihuler said:

Wax a solo cat? 

Hmmmm

Looks fast to me :D

15 hours ago, Vaeredil said:

Looks fast to me :D

That isn't really a wooden boat, that's just carefully applied marine grade vinyl applied to the sides like the American imitation 'woody' wagons in the '70s.  :lol:

Image result for 1970s woody wagons

On 12/7/2019 at 6:47 PM, casc27 said:

For a guy who doesn't know shit you're pretty funny, especially when you get feisty and defensive. It's truly amusing how little you know about the level of experience of the people you are trying to give shit to on here.

Lololol, I think you are projecting. Certainly wasn't my demeanor. You have yourself a great day!

22 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Did you re anchor the 70ft boat? The border collie report you to the marine division of the SPCA? Have you crashed a Hobie yet?? Is there a Denny's in Halfmoon Bay?

http://www.interestingauthors.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/photo-hobie-surf-shop-phil-edwards-mickey-munoz-cta-hawaii-sunset-surfing-surfer-interview-1973-3.jpg

Boat is set again and no more problems. Unfortunately, doggo didn't make it. R.I.P. I did get out on the Hobie with @tama_manu and had a good time blasting around in some waves outside of the harbor. No crashes yet. No Denny's, *sigh*. I'll cherry pick the advice above for the easier to swallow bits...

On 12/7/2019 at 7:59 PM, Vaeredil said:

18 hours ago, multihuler said:

Wax a solo cat? 

Hmmmm

Well, there's room on a Hobie for two. Maybe if MH doesn't race we can borrow his C Cat...

Whatcha think multi? :rolleyes:

Multis are fun but monos are fun in a different way. I'm like Anakin as he's contemplating the dark side. I just need an Obi to melt my face off before I go full Vader.

41 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Boat is set again and no more problems. Unfortunately, doggo didn't make it. R.I.P. 

The dog is dead?!?  

I have no words. Have to take a while to process. 

23 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

The dog is dead?!?  

Perhaps a therapy dog would help?

Image result for therapy dogs

Too soon?

7 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

The dog is dead?!?  

Lol. Well.. dead to me. It shit inside the boat.

I'm really bored and impatient. Part of me wants to do something crazy like sail a Hobie down the coast. I figure I could just beach the thing every night, set up a tent and probably be more comfortable than the way up. Maybe I should quell this feeling with a copious amount of drugs before I get into something stupid. Or do I do the stupid thing instead of the drugs? 

19 minutes ago, FishFood said:

I'm really bored and impatient. Part of me wants to do something crazy like sail a Hobie down the coast. I figure I could just beach the thing every night, set up a tent and probably be more comfortable than the way up. Maybe I should quell this feeling with a copious amount of drugs before I get into something stupid. Or do I do the stupid thing instead of the drugs? 

Look at Google satellite view on a decent screen. Just where exactly do you plan to beach your cat every night as you sail the California coast?  Pick Florida. You can moor or dock in the IW and sleep on the boat. 

Mocking dog deaths...shame on you. 

7 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Look at Google satellite view on a decent screen. Just where exactly do you plan to beach your cat every night as you sail the California coast?  Pick Florida. You can moor or dock in the IW and sleep on the boat. 

Mocking dog deaths...shame on you. 

Well the homeless sleep on random beaches here all the time and I saw no end to the amount of sandy beaches on my way up. I figure I can take advantage of that paradigm and risk minimal trouble. That's easy thinking Clew! I'm looking for a healthy alternative to drugs. Plus I don't really like Florida and I'm sitting here lol. Maybe I sell the half tonner and buy a van and a hobie to do stupid shit around the country in. Looking for another adventure, the down days are miserable and R2AK is so far away.

As your manager I advise you to do the coastal dash on the Hobie WITH the orangutan as your crew. We’ll have a “ film at 11:00” every night.  That’s gold Fish, gold !

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

As your manager I advise you to do the coastal dash on the Hobie WITH the orangutan as your crew. We’ll have a “ film at 11:00” every night.  That’s gold Fish, gold !

Goldfish? No, he's just being koi.

3 hours ago, FishFood said:

Sure, Jim Brown did it on a wind rider trimaran, finding little coves to beach on at night. And he wasn’t exactly young at the time he did it.

Some quick reading and you find boats start heading north in March to May, with the early ones using southerly winds from low pressure systems. Later on, winds turning to nw  and light inshore. Small boats stay within 5 miles and pick the weather. Winds at the capes can be double what is forecast. Staying in close minimizes upwind swell, or you need to get past the 100 fathom line to get smoother sailing. The usual warnings about narrow harbors and bars. The Columbia bar in spring freshet sounds sporty. One post said the upwind trip was like 5 years of regular sailing wear on his rig, so bring some bungees and caulking.

Ohey...

sisters blouse.jpg

On 12/8/2019 at 10:31 PM, multihuler said:

Wax a solo cat? 

Hmmmm

What is it? 

6 hours ago, FishFood said:

@Ed Lada, do you sometimes go by Popek Monster? I saw a video of the guy and he fit the description of you.... Polish...

Nah, not me.  He's too young, too many scars and tats, I'm half Italian,-my mother came from Italy, and I can't even speak a lot of Polish, let alone rap in it.

But he is a male, so there's that resemblance.

Polish rap music certainly has it's own cachet.

39 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Hawaii is always nice.

Nope, Hawaii is dreadful.  They have a powerful PR machine.  The photos of sunshine and beaches and waves are all photoshopped.

Don't go there.  Especially not Kaua'i.  That place really sucks.  Nothing to see there.  Move along.

3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Hawaii is nice in winter. 

I'd love to head that way and further after R2AK, figure it's best to stay in the continental U.S. till then.

1 hour ago, sledracr said:

Nope, Hawaii is dreadful.  They have a powerful PR machine.  The photos of sunshine and beaches and waves are all photoshopped.

Don't go there.  Especially not Kaua'i.  That place really sucks.  Nothing to see there.  Move along.

Totally won't, sounds like a shithole tourist trap. Not falling for those brochures at the local travel agency.

I'm going to do the hobie adventure when I get back from the East Coast and Lake Mead. Too much time in between now and R2AK and EC seems like a pain to coordinate so late and without a boat at this moment. I've already started planning a route. I think I have someone who could trailer a hobie back this way. Time to find a hobie.

Edit: I think a lot of what I mean gets miscommunicated due to the limitations of text-based mediums. To fix this for both me and the world, I think we should develop a color coded system for text that conveys attitude. Red text for seriousness, plain text for neutral, etc.

10 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Nah, not me.  He's too young, too many scars and tats, I'm half Italian,-my mother came from Italy, and I can't even speak a lot of Polish, let alone rap in it.

But he is a male, so there's that resemblance.

Polish rap music certainly has it's own cachet.

Lies, you can't hide as an old half Italian, Popek. I know it's you, tats and all.

12 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Sure, Jim Brown did it on a wind rider trimaran, finding little coves to beach on at night. And he wasn’t exactly young at the time he did it.

Wanna tag along on your laser?

16 hours ago, FishFood said:

You could enlist Lancelot Link the chimp to do the R2AK with you and Multuhuler. Lance is a pretty good sailor, I've seen him sailing on Mission Bay but can't find the YouTube of that. Or if you want to just do the drug alternative, the Lance could me your missing link once again as in this clip from 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vega'.

42 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

You could enlist Lancelot Link the chimp to do the R2AK with you and Multuhuler. Lance is a pretty good sailor, I've seen him sailing on Mission Bay but can't find the YouTube of that. Or if you want to just do the drug alternative, the Lance could me your missing link once again as in this clip from 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vega'.

Or, all that smashed together. A drug bender with a friendly chimpanzee as I head down the coast in a 16-18' catamaran. Sounds like an interesting story.

Anyone that wants to rent/lend me a cheap hobie for this, that'd be cool. You can borrow my half tonner till I get back, it's a real chick magnet and just putting out the swim ladder will cause endless amounts of women to fight their way onboard. Fair trade. Thinking I'd actually get video of this trip by tossing a gopro on or something. I'll need someone with a drone to meet me along PCH for action shots. There are some cheap winter deals in the bay right now but I'd rather not have another boat to deal with.

17 hours ago, FishFood said:

..I saw no end to the amount of sandy beaches on my way up. I figure I can take advantage of that paradigm and risk minimal trouble. That's easy thinking Clew! I'm looking for a healthy alternative to drugs. Plus I don't really like Florida and I'm sitting here lol. Maybe I sell the half tonner and buy a van and a hobie to do stupid shit around the country in. Looking for another adventure, the down days are miserable and R2AK is so far away.

fwiw - I think its a fine idea - except that cat's flip. Will you be able to right your turtled (and loaded) catamaran - all by yourself?

what's needed is a beachable boat - that's safe at sea - and can carry a load. So, this brings us back to the... kayak? ;)

20 minutes ago, floater said:

fwiw - I think its a fine idea - except that cat's flip. Will you be able to right your turtled (and loaded) catamaran - all by yourself?

what's needed is a beachable boat - that's safe at sea - and can carry a load. So, this brings us back to the... kayak? ;)

Well my skiff destroyed my inflatable kayak in a recent storm and that doesn't sail. Good adventure nonetheless if I grab another kayak. I think I have a Hobie 18 I can borrow. I definitely need another crew member to help with flips. Hey @Vaeredil, wanna do something crazy/fun?

Or anyone else? All you need is to be interesting enough that we aren't bored the whole way down and fit enough to help flip the thing.

Looking to leave from mid January to early February. Too much longer and I'll go mad from boredom.

• Like 2

Red text for seriousness, plain text for neutral, etc.

Purple is the accepted font-color for sarcasm....

That's why I'd want to try for a placing or race record if I'm in one.

Most of know that we don't know much.    You have never sailed in even a Beer Can race but performing well enough "place" or set a "race record" on your first attempt is a tall order (trying to be nice).   Not saying it couldn't be done but.....   wow.    To me it's comparable to a first time skier enjoying a few runs down a bunny slope in champagne conditions and then claiming you can tackle any Black Diamond in a white-out and metal at the Olympics your first year.   Ambition is great, hubris, not so much.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, solosailor said:

Most of know that we don't know much.    You have never sailed in even a Beer Can race but performing well enough "place" or set a "race record" on your first attempt is a tall order (trying to be nice).   Not saying it couldn't be done but.....   wow.    To me it's comparable to a first time skier enjoying a few runs down a bunny slope in champagne conditions and then claiming you can tackle any Black Diamond in a white-out and metal at the Olympics your first year.   Ambition is great, hubris, not so much.

I totally agree, I think it would be stupid to not see it that way from your perspective. I guess I was just trying to say that I don't see the point in racing if I'm not competing for something. My shtick is that while I lack tons of knowledge and experience (which I would try to reduce with full time sailing in the next 6 months), I can gain an edge on the endurance side of things. I don't see me winning any beer can race or short distance races for that reason and believe I have more of a chance the longer the distance due to variables I can turn in my favor (time spent underway in a day for example). Perhaps I'm totally wrong in that line of thinking but I really don't think I have great odds regardless, I just will always be in the mindset of I can and will win because I don't believe you'll succeed otherwise. Like in a fight, I don't really care how big or skilled a person is, if I think I'm getting my ass beat it's probably more likely to happen so I just always believe I'll win, even if its an irrational belief.

So did Multihuler run out of candy? I thought you and he were doing a FrankenTri with that nice pretty woody tri and the dregs of the other boat. Lots of things to be learned there...

What ever happened to his Antrim?

2 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

So did Multihuler run out of candy? I thought you and he were doing a FrankenTri with that nice pretty woody tri and the dregs of the other boat. Lots of things to be learned there...

I'm heading to Lake Mead to help him get Wild Thing settled after I get back from break. Then I'm doing the hobieventure when we're finished. I was jk about the FrankenTri but he does have some crazy ideas for Stratis now that it's apart and had structural issues with the massive load put on the beams by that rig. Other SL 33s have fallen apart at the beams. I think he's playing with the idea of a foiling fan boat or kite boat, therefore eliminating the stress on the beams and making the job of putting it back together less engineering intensive. We may finish the Antrim down in Arizona in early January. 

2 hours ago, FishFood said:

Lies, you can't hide as an old half Italian, Popek. I know it's you, tats and all.

OK, you got me.  Don't come to my ghetto, mmkay?

Thanks, he really needs a keeper like yourself. Just watch out for the Candy Van because what happens in the Candy Van, stays in the Candy Van...

Good luck with the beach cat pilgrimage. I did the Worrell 1000 (in one way or another but that is another story) and simply sailing in through the surf to spend the night is more of a challenge that one might think! Then you have to get back off the beach the next morning. Just get in before dark!

7 hours ago, floater said:

This.  We rescued a solo guy on a Hobie a few miles south of Santa Cruz harbor back in 1976.  He'd been in the drink quite a while, and had completely exhausted himself trying to right the boat, only to have it keep flipping.  He was exhausted to the point that we weren't sure we were going to be able to bring him aboard (Pearson 36) and had our own challenges maneuvering in 25+ knots with an underpowered Atomic 4.  And this was August, when the water is as warm as it's going to get.  He was wearing a wetsuit as I recall, but was still in a bad way. 

13 hours ago, CruiserJim said:

This.  We rescued a solo guy on a Hobie a few miles south of Santa Cruz harbor back in 1976.  He'd been in the drink quite a while, and had completely exhausted himself trying to right the boat, only to have it keep flipping.  He was exhausted to the point that we weren't sure we were going to be able to bring him aboard (Pearson 36) and had our own challenges maneuvering in 25+ knots with an underpowered Atomic 4.  And this was August, when the water is as warm as it's going to get.  He was wearing a wetsuit as I recall, but was still in a bad way. 

Yeah, don't take this lightly.

I had my own experience in English Bay/Burrard Inlet, was solo sailing my first ever boat, a Hobie 16, and capsized after I came out of the wind shadow of a tanker. I was headed too far towards a beam reach with my sails sheeted in, and didn't know enough to react quickly/have the mainsheet in my hand for the wind coming back after i got out from behind it. Spent about an hour in the water with no wetsuit in mid June (but a lifejacket, which saved my life). Was getting pulled out to sea by the tide and despite there being people everywhere, nobody responded to my whistle blasts or waving. Coast Guard pulled up as I was getting into some severe hypothermia, told me the last tanker in the bay had a lookout who had seen me and called it in. Could easily have died if it wasn't for him doing his job. 

And this is in a busy bay, with other boats going by, in early summer, and mayyyybe 15 knots of wind? Yes, I was an inexperienced idiot, and no, it probably wouldn't happen again, but do take it seriously. Same thing as Jim above, I was exhausted from trying to right the boat solo. 

20 hours ago, FishFood said:

Well my skiff destroyed my inflatable kayak in a recent storm and that doesn't sail. Good adventure nonetheless if I grab another kayak. I think I have a Hobie 18 I can borrow. I definitely need another crew member to help with flips. Hey @Vaeredil, wanna do something crazy/fun?

Or anyone else? All you need is to be interesting enough that we aren't bored the whole way down and fit enough to help flip the thing.

Looking to leave from mid January to early February. Too much longer and I'll go mad from boredom.

Tempting, actually. How long do you think you'd keep going for? It would probably be one or the other here, either Hobie beach hopping or R2AK. Not enough vacation for both, sadly, and despite it being super boring and not interesting, I promised myself I'd stay at this job until I had a certain amount of money saved up. Been planning to live-aboard/sail full time again for a while, but paying off debts and saving a littttttle cash first. 

That said, fit enough to flip a boat, and possibly interesting enough to not be boring. Early February would work, possibly.  

Yeah, don't take this lightly.

I had my own experience in English Bay/Burrard Inlet, was solo sailing my first ever boat, a Hobie 16, and capsized after I came out of the wind shadow of a tanker. I was headed too far towards a beam reach with my sails sheeted in, and didn't know enough to react quickly/have the mainsheet in my hand for the wind coming back after i got out from behind it. Spent about an hour in the water with no wetsuit in mid June (but a lifejacket, which saved my life). Was getting pulled out to sea by the tide and despite there being people everywhere, nobody responded to my whistle blasts or waving. Coast Guard pulled up as I was getting into some severe hypothermia, told me the last tanker in the bay had a lookout who had seen me and called it in. Could easily have died if it wasn't for him doing his job. 

And this is in a busy bay, with other boats going by, in early summer, and mayyyybe 15 knots of wind? Yes, I was an inexperienced idiot, and no, it probably wouldn't happen again, but do take it seriously. Same thing as Jim above, I was exhausted from trying to right the boat solo. 

Tempting, actually. How long do you think you'd keep going for? It would probably be one or the other here, either Hobie beach hopping or R2AK. Not enough vacation for both, sadly, and despite it being super boring and not interesting, I promised myself I'd stay at this job until I had a certain amount of money saved up. Been planning to live-aboard/sail full time again for a while, but paying off debts and saving a littttttle cash first. 

That said, fit enough to flip a boat, and possibly interesting enough to not be boring. Early February would work, possibly.  

Yeah I'm not going to leave without another person on this trip. Especially since the boat likely to be used is an 18 as well.

Aiming for the Channel Islands and then we'd hop back over the channel to Santa Barbara for pick up. Fine skipping over the islands though. With the right weather window it should be less than a week even if we take our sweet ass time, I'd like to chillax a tad in between the constant weather exposure. Thinking 6am to 6pm spent on the Hobie and 6pm to 6am on the beach.

I already have a Hobie procured for this trip and will most likely pursue a crew position for R2AK, this would be the one to get in on. Plus you've got the Hobie flipping experience. Hell, if you're willing to do this Hobieventure I consider you more interesting than most!

8 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Yeah I'm not going to leave without another person on this trip. Especially since the boat likely to be used is an 18 as well.

Aiming for the Channel Islands and then we'd hop back over the channel to Santa Barbara for pick up. Fine skipping over the islands though. With the right weather window it should be less than a week even if we take our sweet ass time, I'd like to chillax a tad in between the constant weather exposure. Thinking 6am to 6pm spent on the Hobie and 6pm to 6am on the beach.

I already have a Hobie procured for this trip and will most likely pursue a crew position for R2AK, this would be the one to get in on. Plus you've got the Hobie flipping experience. Hell, if you're willing to do this Hobieventure I consider you more interesting than most!

Sounds like the thing to , then. No need to skip the islands, looks like something really cool to visit! About a week would work, I can get the time off, and it seems like that would make for a good pace. Might have to see if anybody here can give us an idea when the best week to go would be, as far as weather window. That's the only thing that might be annoying, I'd have to put in for the vacation at least 3 weeks in advance but I won't be able to book until January 1st, (plus flights are cheaper if they're not *super* last minute), so we might have to just sail with the weather we get!

Anyone local to the area have any huge massive reasons we shouldn't do this? Seems viable to me, and like FF said, I can see lots of beaches. That's the kinda shit Hobies were built for. 

37 minutes ago, FishFood said:

If you do this with an 18 (excellent choice BTW) try to find one with a set of Magnum (or SX) wings, or find a set and add them. Totally transforms the boat. (More room to sleep and carry shit also.) When I had my 18 I first sailed it without wings (mostly at Huntington Lake, some off the beach at home in Santa Cruz) it really needed at least one person on the trap if there was any breeze or I would be depowering like crazy. Added some Magnum wings and the stability difference was incredible. They will make righting slightly more difficult, but you'll be much less likely to flip in the first place. A Bob on the masthead is probably not a bad idea also to keep it from turtling if you do flip it. Last but lot least, practice righting the boat in a controlled environment before you have to under duress. A set of reef points on the main might not be a bad idea also.

• Like 1

You could always sail solo with the Hobie if you just use the jib.

Oh wait, where is the purple font button.

turkey.jpg

• Like 1

Some more cat inspiration for your adventures.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I saw the Antrim a couple of months ago - very cool boat. It needs a bit of composite work, rigging, and transporting to an ocean.

There's always these guys too. If they can do that, we'll be a-okay with a little luck. 

We may finish the Antrim down in Arizona in early January. 

What is an ocean boat doing in Arizona?

3 minutes ago, solosailor said:

Enjoying the hot, dry air?

There's always these guys too. If they can do that, we'll be a-okay with a little luck. 

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Some more cat inspiration for your adventures.

Yeah those two videos just boosted my confidence even more. No wings on the boat we'd be using but I think that's alright, just wetter.

56 minutes ago, solosailor said:

Well both boats are actually in Reno still, MH is finishing some work on both down in Arizona on Lake Mead because of marina/storage pricing and weather. He's trying to do some painting and vanishing so he's seeking more suitable conditions. 

He has a bunch of boats land locked in Reno.

46 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Some other cheap rides in the SF Bay area for you so you don't break someone else's boat. Various Hobies and a dinghy by Nelson Marek I can't find any info about. SF bay area boats "sailboat" - craigslist

Yeah while I'm a bit afraid of that, having another boat in my name is something I don't want deal with. I still have to transfer the title, register, and blah blah blah for my boat. I'd rather fix whatever I break and worst comes to worst, buy the gentleman who's likely to let us use it a new hobie. Plus I plan to fix up the boat for him a bit; we're not talking about a $5k hobie or anything.

Maybe that sounds lazy but it's more about not wanting to deal with owning a hobie while I live on a boat, have no car and don't plan to be in the area long.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FishFood said:

Yeah those two videos just boosted my confidence even more. No wings on the boat we'd be using but I think that's alright, just wetter.

It'll be fine, just more trap time for both of us. 

On 12/11/2019 at 6:24 PM, solosailor said:

It was seasick?

On 12/14/2019 at 9:02 AM, Norse Horse said:

Bump.

Starbucks tweeted they haven't seen you in a couple days. Are you in SF Bay?

https://www.lloydkahn.com/tag/driftwood-shacks/

IMG_1581-LK_lo_res-660x660.jpg

Working, getting ready to be in Maryland for a few weeks, switching from coffee to pot, and more have kept me from the "Bux" and therefore SA. Hoping to let this thread cool off only to be unexpectedly rekindled as made inevitably so by my insatiable appetite for something wild to do. The FishFood Saga is on break while I immerse myself in a normal life for a winter trip back home. Hobieventure is up next, stay tuned in for more. 

On 12/9/2019 at 10:15 PM, schakel488 said:

What is it? 

Macomb Tennant, Wild Thing, hull number 1, built by sowman, who also built famous New Zealand Black Magic, which won Americas Cup.

40x27, 2800 lbs

wildthing1.jpg