Svanen

Omega wristwatches: the pro sailor’s choice

Several of the big mechanical watch makers like to claim a vague affinity with sailing. For example, Rolex sponsors the Fastnet, the Hobart, the Giraglia, and several other regattas, while until recently Panerai used to sponsor the Classic Yacht Challenge.

Also-ran Omega sponsors no regattas, but uses a few teams as ‘brand ambassadors’. Its marketing department has published various photographs that illustrate Omega’s deep knowledge of the sport.

(1) “The safest way to haul on a line is to wrap it around your hand”:

Omega-Speedmaster-ENTZ-gear-patrol-4-194

Omega_Planet-Ocean-ETNZ-Deep-Black_5.jpg

(2) “Never bother with a winch handle, just put the line in the self-tailer and pull on it”:

OMEGA+Seamaster+Planet+Ocean+600M+ETNZ+D

(3) WTF is going on here:

omega-seamaster-planet-ocean-600m-omega-

Think I will just stick with my cheap Optimum Time! ;)

Optimum_Time_Series14R_Sailing_Watch_Yel

• Like 2

I won a 'yacht-racing' watch from a well-known brand and, whilst it looked good in the bar afterwards, it became more fucking useless the closer it got to a sail-assisted racing craft. The cheap Casio was worn on the start line.

Spent $1,500 restoring the Omega Speedmaster Professional I got in HS.  Took it sailing once, hit watch on winch and the crystal broke!!!!

In the bay, and Apple Watch, on deliveries, or traveling abroad?  Timex!!! Don’t care if it breaks and no one ever got mugged for thier Timex

I got a metal case Casio mariner maybe 30 to 40 years ago.  Not a scratch on it after decades of hard use.  Replaced the battery twice.  Cost $29 when I got it.  Gains exactly 1 second per day, very predictable. Stopwatch, dual time, countdown, alarms.

I don't get the useless expensive watch craze.  My old man had a collection of expensive watches that kept shitty time and always needed fixing.  What a waste.  Could get a new sail inventory for some of those watches.

1 hour ago, bgytr said:

I don't get the useless expensive watch sailing craze.  My old man had son has a collection of an expensive watches sailboat that kept shitty time goes slower than I can run and always needed fixing.  What a waste.  Could get a new sail inventory new watch or three for some of those watches sails.

FIFY

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Varan said:

Most of us value our time too.

Accuracy and features or conspicuous consumption?

I chose a middle ground - a really nice Casio. Solar and syncs to atomic clock so always perfect. Also automatically adjusts for daylight savings time.  I basically never take it off and it looks (IMHO) great. Titanium case and band so very light as well. 

Cost less than the annual service ($500) for a Rolex and keeps far far better time. 

79FCC5C1-52DA-4054-862C-E65CD946D409.jpeg

Quartz Seiko tuna - the only watch I'll spend a little money on. Great lume, near indestructible, accurate time, 10yr batteries and rebuild-able movement. 

I must be a very amateur sailor. Sailed around the world without a watch and survived. Only time I cared about was the 0300 watch change with my wife and the plotter looked after that, nothing better to do at 0247 but look at the time.

as was recommended to me by a scuba dive master:

- buy the Rolex and wear / show it off it at the bar

- take off said Rolex before you get on the boat and put on a Timex IronMan

Never wear an expensive watch on the water that you weren't prepared to lose overboard and NOT go after!

Ah. High-end watches. You're either into them, or you are not. Not a lot of middle ground. I am, and you can blame my Grandfather who gifted me with his 1950's Omega Constellation. Hooked ever sense.

I divide 'sailing watches' into two camps. Racing and Cruising/sailing.

Racing is NOT the place for a mechanical watch. A US$100 Ronstan does the trick, and looks pretty OK doing it. The NATO strap is very functional and comfortable.

For cruising, I want a super reliable watch that tells time, date, and can do rough timing A tool watch. What most makes call a 'dive watch' often has this exact functional mix and looks good to boot. As I never take it off when I cruise, it needs to be comfortable and able to take a knock, and be very water and salt resistant.I used to cruise with my Omega Seamaster 300 professional chronograph Ti, but was finding it was attracting too much attention at night. So I bought a used TAG-Heuer Aquaracer 500. Not a huge fan of TAGs in general but this one is clean and simple. Comfortable and accurate.

61Cu5cGp0GL._AC_SX425_.jpg

22E0BD88-9DBD-4B38-B805-B11A14610B2B-1901-000000B1847ED885.JPG

I can appreciate an Omega for exactly what it is, but it has no business being on a boat. I’ve used this Casio for 24 years and counting so far while racing. I’ve lost track of how many watch bands have died. It does rolling fives for a countdown, and that’s about all you really need. 

0C5A7DCD-1CE1-45E4-BBB6-43559A0AFB4C.jpeg