Gouvernail

2020 Texas Centerboard Circuit

2019 finished off with a bang at Wurstfest .

It is time for the 2020 planning to start rolling big time!! 
I wonder what interesting news boats will join the gang in 2020. 

Here is a link to the 2019 page Complete with @Fishingmickey’s wrap up.

I stole his photo and added the Wurstfest results. 

9EFF5842-C9C4-43C0-9E7F-864A9E3E99E1.jpeg

43993FD7-D6E9-4638-902F-3A9F86296930.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

I wonder what interesting news boats will join the gang in 2020.

I'll do my damndest to throw my 505 into the mix!

• Like 1

2020 Finn U.S. National Championship will be at CCYC

2020 Finn North American Masters will be at AYC

Possibly a pre-regatta for both.

8 minutes ago, JimBowie said:

dude...if I were 40 years younger...I'd be Finning you alive....

There may or may not be a clear-deck 2000 Devoti on the ramp at the AYC available for charter at the Masters...

05BF4E48-9767-4D16-B6E1-463F92EBCB1A.jpeg

Best thing you can do to promote Finns is get two or three Friendly Finn sailors  to sail every Centerboard fleet event

Welcome JimBowie!  The more people participate and sign up to the Texas Centerboard Circuit the more fun we will have.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimBowie said:

Put me down for MC scow in 2020.  Trading up from my 5 person Melges 24 to 2 person scow.  They both say "Melges".  That's all that matters.

I wonder if there are some barely used boats available in Shreveport. Didn’t they almost get a fleet  going?? 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 9:44 PM, Cheapster said:

I'll do my damndest to throw my 505 into the mix!

We'll welcome ya. We may not be known for winning the regatta but we have won a few parties.

FM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishingmickey said:

We'll welcome ya. We may not be known for winning the regatta but we have won a few parties.

FM

Hey now.. I've never been a partier but the older I get the more I see the error of my ways.  I'll be happy just to chase the real sailors around the lake for a while and hope to pick up some party pointers from the champs afterward  \0/

• Like 2

New to me TCC boat will allow me to attend most races next year. It will be a repeat of 2015. Or maybe not.

• Like 1

That's a lot of sail area!

Lindy, I do believe you may have more boats that I do -- and that's saying something!!  Mine never get used, but I have a lot!!

Brig,

I have gone through a few boats, that's for sure. But I only have two, Jeanneau 379 at the bay and this new (to me) Megabyte. As much as I hate to admit it, being folded up in an Aero wasn't fun for me. And I'm not a big wind guy so I was a little heavy to be competitive in the wind zone I'm comfortable in (12-15). So on to something new. Looking forward to TCC in the Megabyte.

• Like 2

I think ya got a fun boat to sail Lindy!  When I used to race a Laser I was always envious of the Megabyte.  I used to ogle Steve W's Megabyte. The perfect foils, Carbon stick and spacious cockpit. It will be good to have you out with us again.

FM

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to getting it on the water for the first time, hopefully this weekend. I'll let you know how that goes. Set it up in the side yard last Sunday to get the hang of how the rigging wants to work. Very little vang is used and the blow off at the top is handled by the Cunningham. Lots of do-dads that I think are unnecessary, like the hiking strap adjusters. But my initial overall impression is pretty good. My boat is a 2017 and virtually brand new. Build quality is as good as any other small boat I've had. Certainly on par with the Aero and probably better than the Laser I had from 2010. Psyched!  

• Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 5:42 PM, JimBowie said:

OK. I'm in that golden phase of boat ownership...prowling the Internet for a suspect to purchase.  Came across this little rare jewel that ticks all my boxes.  Would love to consider sailing TCC, but the 175# centerboard might be an issue.  What say ye, crew?  Allow?  No allowed?

picclasscup16101f.jpg

picclasscup16101e.jpg

picclasscup16101c.jpg

picclasscup16101b.jpg

picclasscup16102b.jpg

Jim,

Have you considered a VX Evo? probably a much simpler option and we have a used boat that can be a good deal. We are also starting to race One Design, so the best of both worlds. 

BTW, the Evo is a Portsmouth killer...and it has no ballast, so fully complies with the centerboard criteria.

i-cCcGzdd-X2.thumb.jpg.e05ae3ea3733f428685c2bff824f40ba.jpgi-ckcpgTQ-X2.thumb.jpg.365af87c9417e99821e172aafb9ad25e.jpgi-D5Hh82n-X2.thumb.jpg.3911af7b136322a99cd79b97ca30bccb.jpg

What are you all thinking for the 2020 schedule? I'm all for a bunch of races but I know there has been push back on that in recent years. I know Conroe's always good to host.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JimBowie said:

Missed one chance, but another rises.  There's a new force in dinghy sailing from where you'd least expect it: Tesla!  That's right, Tesla.  Who else kicks conventional ass and thinks outside the 4 knot shit box?  Peeps, I introduce my ride for TCC 2020: "Astra"

tesla-scow-902x600.jpg

Phil, you just need to get a motorboat and run support for the VX fleet.   We ran out of beer @ wurstfest..  totally uncivilized. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 8:15 AM, JimBowie said:

I would have to kill you to answer that truthfully or risk blowing my sock puppet.  lol

he’s the whistleblower!

6 hours ago, JimBowie said:

Missed one chance, but another rises.  There's a new force in dinghy sailing from where you'd least expect it: Tesla!  That's right, Tesla.  Who else kicks conventional ass and thinks outside the 4 knot shit box?  Peeps, I introduce my ride for TCC 2020: "Astra"

tesla-scow-902x600.jpg

WTF is it? Looks freaking amazing and maybe a little fast.

FM

https://tesla.com/cyberboat  This is a 404 fault. Not sure if this is real. We have a Tesla Model S and get just about everything under the sun from Tesla in the way of news. Have never seen anything on this. But it would be cool. So where's the big electric fan?

On 11/25/2019 at 8:15 AM, JimBowie said:

I would have to kill you to answer that truthfully or risk blowing my sock puppet.  lol

Already blown.

3 hours ago, JimBowie said:

Look "Jack".  I thought you went down to the bottom in 1912?

Don't worry Texas 'Rose', your secret is safe with me.

Too cold Mike, but I have a new shop sos have been working on IC, it will be watertight and ready for this year, as will I!

• Like 1

That's cool, Derek. I'm wondering if there's been any talk about a schedule so we can all start planning. Looks like there's going to be another Megabyte coming to TCC besides mine. The sooner we can all start making plans, the more boats we'll get at each event. Looking forward to seeing you all again.

• Like 1

Lindy and all others interested,

Most of the clubs will be having or just had their January board meetings. We should have a schedule out here by the beginning of February or first week after.  Looking at the usual suspects. 6-7 events, two in Dallas/Ft. Worth area. One Spring or Fall dinghyfest and the other possibility/probability is Ft. Worth boat club is inviting us to visit, Two Austin, Two Houston assuming that CYC is going to have it's spring fling and there is some interest in Seabrook and Wurstfest.

Fishingmickey

• Like 2

Awesome, I like your plan. Let me know if I can help promote. CYC will have their Spring Fling and as usual, the TCC is the cornerstone of that event but I am no longer involved there. I can send you contact info for them. A couple of people I know are calling it a day with their one-design travels and are planning on some DPN fun. I know I'm looking forward to it.

Theo and Claire, the Megabyte is a perfect boat for you guys and your family. Take turns sailing at the regattas and sail with the girls on the weekends. There are good deals to be had too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lindy911 said:

Theo and Claire, the Megabyte is a perfect boat for you guys and your family. Take turns sailing at the regattas and sail with the girls on the weekends. There are good deals to be had too.

Megabytes VS the EVOs. 

let the trash talking begin 

Last I checked, the "good deal" part hasn't evolved in the EVO world yet. Decent Megabyte can be had for $3500. Megabyte vs EVO on the race course? No contest. But the MB is a pretty good DPN boat for TCC.

8 hours ago, lindy911 said:

Last I checked, the "good deal" part hasn't evolved in the EVO world yet. Decent Megabyte can be had for $3500. Megabyte vs EVO on the race course? No contest. But the MB is a pretty good DPN boat for TCC.

ya, and you could have purchased a 1971 Catalina 38 for about 15k.. but instead you spent ??? for that Jeanneau?   

17 hours ago, sushi said:

ya, and you could have purchased a 1971 Catalina 38 for about 15k.. but instead you spent ??? for that Jeanneau?   

You make a good point.

BTW, LCYC offers board boat races every second Sunday of the month for el cheapo.  For the right beer, I can offer warm bed... :)

• Like 3

21 hours ago, lindy911 said:

You make a good point.

I was just being a knucklehead.  Mega looks like a beast,  look forward to seeing you and JB out in then.  Pointy side up guys, right?

• Like 1

And no upper mast probs I hope!

It's official. Bring it on, ladies

You paid $20.00 USD
to Texas Centerboard Circuit
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 9:19 AM, ortegakid said:

And no upper mast probs I hope!

That has been confined to one sailor in Hawaii who often sails in 25-30 knots. You will never find me in conditions like that unless I'm on the Jeanneau. Done with proving I'm not 25 anymore. Most boats out there have never had an issue with breaking the top section. The sail track pulls from the mast but that's an easy fix. 

• Like 1

I just put an ad up on SA for my Johnson 18 Turbo.  I race it Portsmouth in races in Florida. Think it would be a great TCC boat.  Solves the light air performance on the boat and with a square top Carbon main and self tacking jib it is very easy to sail and de power as the wind increases. Trailer is road ready. The boat is located in South Florida. I could possibly get the boat to Tallahassee in the pan handle of Florida.

4CC1D630-56F4-4F3F-ABC5-6978FAB2CB46.jpeg

• Like 2

No we know what that "yellow thing" is...

And the Harken lift would work perfect in your garage.

When putting together the schedule, know that Lake Conroe is down more than 3' and falling. There are failing bulkheads at the club which will not be fixed in time for Spring Fling. Based on that and the fact that the launching beach is a mud-hole, the spring regatta at CYC has been canceled for this year.

For those who are in charge of the schedule this year, time to get a move on. Let's not wait until the last minute.

Also, for those who read this thread, how about a head count? Post a comment here if you plan to sail any of the events that being planning.

I think we can count on the following but that is just an assumption:

Jenny, Fishingmicky, Two Grey, Zerbuchen. Ortega, Lindy, Phil, Big D?, .....

My personal schedule is RCYC Spring and Fall and SSC Dingyfest June. Maybe AYC fall.and bunch LCYC Sundays

Working on as many as we can fit it, may even have a new cut down main to try on the ole Thistle.

Here's my personal campaign planner based on poking around all the possible club websites.   Two in Dallas, two in houston and one in new braunfels

Texas Centerboard Circuit 2020

1.       RCYC Spring Dingyfest—April 25-26

2.       Seabrook Sailing Club Summer Solstice—June 20-21

3.       RCYC Fall Dingyfest—September 19-20

4.       Seabrook Sailing Club—October 17

5.       LCYC Wurstfest—November 7-8

I personally like to race my little boat more than 5 times in a year. AYC has several regattas that suit our needs that could be added.

1 hour ago, lindy911 said:

I personally like to race my little boat more than 5 times in a year. AYC has several regattas that suit our needs that could be added.

Indeed I've already received messages to that effect.  Most of my dingy needs will be satisfied locally so I'm picking my travel dates sparingly and to event that have good history of actually happening.  The Seabrook and Austin events directly conflict, but so does Seabrook and Houston HOOD.  Guess we'll just have to find common ground.  Back to the old question, for overall is it a set number of specific regattas or a minimum number of any regattas?  We need to discuss cuz the season's here and my boat's ready.

22 hours ago, JimBowie said:

Indeed I've already received messages to that effect.  Most of my dingy needs will be satisfied locally so I'm picking my travel dates sparingly and to event that have good history of actually happening.  The Seabrook and Austin events directly conflict, but so does Seabrook and Houston HOOD.  Guess we'll just have to find common ground.  Back to the old question, for overall is it a set number of specific regattas or a minimum number of any regattas?  We need to discuss cuz the season's here and my boat's ready.

I'm not the one calling the shots and evidently the one who is, isn't paying attention here. I personally don't like Seabrook but I'd go if it were on the schedule. I do, however, love AYC and Canyon. Maybe we can get CYC to host the TCC a few times over the summer.

• Like 1

Is anyone paying attention to this thread that has anything to do with the TCC? It's more than half way through February 2020 and no schedule. WTF

Rolling our thumbs waiting ;)

• Like 1

It's a series bro. Come to one, two , three. Your choice. 2nd Sunday each month

Anyone here have Mickeys email? Please PM me with it. We have to start thinking about taking over and getting a schedule set. 

They are "probably" waiting on Austin Yacht Club Schedule.  BTW we never get anything from TCC before March ;p 

• Like 2

I shall pay my TCC dues once we have a schedule. Signed:  Today's Rebel ;p

• Like 1

Yes, I have been remiss in visiting SA. Harpoonette and I have discussed about we gotta get a schedule out and we get busy and life happens and it doesn't happen. Thanks for the kick in the pants today Lindy.

We don't have squat for the spring. Jim Bowie pretty much nailed most of what we've been considering. AYC has two weekends scheduled for Gov. cup. this year. Weekend one is for centerboard boats Oct. 17 & 18.  So the scheduled is so far, Summer Solstice 6/20 & 6/21, Fall Dinghyfest Sept. 19 & 20, Gov. cup centerboard Oct. 17 & 18. and Wurstfest Nov. 7th & 8th. TwoGray since yer rolling yer thumbs, do you know (if I am remembering right) is it Lake Worth boat club or Fort Worth boat club that wanted us to include a scheduled event this year?

Last thought was:  Do we just stage our own get together race/regatta/party at one of the central TX lakes and just do a distance race keep your own time sailing race and use DPN numbers to figure results whilst drinking a beer and eating a burger no fee cook out and beer drink regatta like we have done upon occasion in the past history. 

I'll be back and yes we could do both dinghyfests and have a spring event. But RCYC twice in one year is kinda meh for me.

Fishingmickey

P.S. This is a thought about getting something at least for the spring.  I Talked with One Gray and she confirmed it was Lake Worth boat club and the event is scheduled of the middle of September. I'd like to get at least one spring event. Other then maybe Spring Dinghy at RCYC. We used to do a distance race at Stillhouse hollow lake called the Bridge too far. It involved racing from the Marina at the bottom end of the lake up the main body and about 7 miles up the reservoir till we rounded the boat ramp no wake mark just short of the bridge and back again. Without having any possibility of support boats my thought was to keep the course down in the main body of the lake and make a distance course around permanent marks . That way if anyone gets into trouble at least they can be seen. End at the dock or the beach at the pavilion and record your time. Drinks, Grill some burgers, sausage or dawgs, everyone can bring a side dish or maybe a dessert. 

On 2/6/2020 at 9:44 PM, JimBowie said:

I'd rather sail at RCYC than not sail at all this spring. I think if we leave it at starting the season in June, some may find other things to do and our turnout will suffer. It has been said several times that Canyon has racing weekly and we might be able to use one of the weekends as a TCC stop?

LCYC racing is MONTHLY.  Second Sunday every month.  Starts at noon.  Two Gray and myself can host quite a few outta towners.  I'm Doing Dallas Like Debbie in April regardless.

My suggestion is LCYC Spring Series - 3 weekends in the spring.  I have space to sleep many, and I have room to keeps few sailboats in my backyard.  

5 minutes ago, JimBowie said:

What is the Portsmouth on the 40' dinghy?

Be careful P, I just did 50 sit ups in preparation of this upcoming TCC season. 

• Like 1

Any Laser events first few weeks April, Picking up a Star in  in Louisiana and heading toward it to Cali

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 5:24 PM, VWAP said:

Any Laser events first few weeks April, Picking up a Star in  in Louisiana and heading toward it to Cali

Vwap, There is the Easter Laser regatta at AYC. Usually draws a good crowd and some really good sailors.

• Like 1

OK, Since I got such positive feed back about the Stillhouse suggestion.  Here's a schedule for you: Read it and weep or rejoice.

The 2020 Texas Centerboard Schedule.

LCYC's Spring series  3/15, 4/19 & 5/3

SSC Summer Solstice 6/20 & 6/21

Lake Worth SC  9/11 & 9/12,  Goatman's regatta

AYC  Gov. Cup Centerboard  10/17 & 10/18

LCYC Wurstfest 11/6 & 11/7

FM

WHERE'S SPRING DING?

Thank you Mikey!

The making of the TCC schedule always falls on you, so I would like to propose the following to all of the TCC 2020 Sailing Anarchy followers:  

__/)  The Texas Centerboard Circuit champion (ex: 2020) sailboat crew need to prepare the following year (ex: 2021), with the help of everyone, as many as possible races, regattas and venues.  The schedule must be added to Sailing Anarchy and to the TCC website on or before February 1st.  The TCC champion is determined by the best of 5 or 7 races.  The scores are to be keep on the TCC website for all to see and prepare the trophies of the year. 

We need the opinion of everyone, please chime in, it the good time. 

• Like 1

Done!
You paid $20.00 USD
to Texas Centerboard Circuit

Me too

22 hours ago, ortegakid said:

WHERE'S SPRING DING?

right in your backyard next weekend at Canyon.  registered and come join us partner

Ortega!  You can leave you boat in my backyard.  I have few more space, and if we have to, Jim Bowie and Two Gray will go to the Club for more space. Voila!  

• Like 1

Maybe april, but I am going to RCYC springding for sure, don't care if it's not on schedule.