Fiji Bitter

Brexit WTF, WTF

Probably the best factual analysis of the curve that I have seen. He takes date of 10th death as a starting point, and date of lock down to rum forward to peak. Shows known cases and deaths. He has researched carefully to ensure data is as comparable as possible. And, he is one of us.

Shit I only just saw this piece with Hancock on Sunday's Marr Program.

These fuckers are trying to remove their "mitigation/herd immunity" strategy before the screeching U-Turn to "suppression" from the history books.

5 APRIL - Hancock Health Sec says the claim of government’s initial strategy being to create herd immunity "has been rubbish from start to finish."

13 MARCH - Vallance, the Govt Chief scientific adviser, says the thinking behind current approach is to try and "reduce the peak" and to build up a "degree of herd immunity so that more people are immune to the disease".

RANDOM SELECTION

3 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Who is it between Kim and Boris?

See # 7101   ......not to self ...  'kin read before you post

Just catching up with Dominic Raab coronavirus press conference on BBC;

He ran through UK repatriation effort, but fancy that, did not mention UK use of EU funds / civil protection mechanism.

2 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Just catching up with Dominic Raab coronavirus press conference on BBC;

He ran through UK repatriation effort, but fancy that, did not mention UK use of EU funds / civil protection mechanism.

I noticed that as well!! Two-faced fuck that he is.

10 minutes ago, mad said:

Probably government policy, do not mention the EU if it is positive news, been doing that for a decade. Like Fawlty Towers, but Manuel will be gone.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mad said:

Well he’s in charge now!

• Like 1

Yep, BJ in IC, goodbye for a few months.

1 hour ago, LeoV said:

I wonder how Cummings is feeling about this?  In both senses of the word. 

I think Gove is the most upset, he should be PM now... not that wanky Raab.

Don’t forget he was last seen running from Downing Street and was showing symptoms!

Maybe he was fired by BJ and not sick..

errrr.... Mad, some good juju you have there, care to go transatlantic ? B)

all european leaders are sending messages of support, cynics like me might think it's because they are concerned about the potential situation of dealing with his successors.

• Like 1

shivers me timbers, am just watching beeb news, subject is teams in the London fire brigade are formed to collect the dead....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Albatros said:

errrr.... Mad, some good juju you have there, care to go transatlantic ? B)

all european leaders are sending messages of support, cynics like me might think it's because they are concerned about the potential situation of dealing with his successors.

I think I might have overstepped the mark on this one. :ph34r:

I bet there’s been some urgent tracking and testing taking place, struggling to see how any negotiations can place for the next few months now, time for an extension would be the most logical and sensible step right now.  There’s better things to be doing.

Soooo...
Can Grandma Buckingham require a negative test in case a replacement official need to be appointed? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Would not want to do the same thing next week again...

Edit:
Now we know why there was so much TP hoarding. News along the line of "Intubated entirely as a precaution, he is in good spirits." is a really big heap of BS.

13 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Leo yes some respiratory support very likely. ICU however would normally be 15 - 20 days from date of infection so I don't think he has darkened that door yet. 

That aged well.

ICU 12 days after testing positive on 27/3 so looks as he picked it up in advance of Monday 23/3.

Late Monday 23/3 was lockdown announcement.

That was only oddly a no reporters anouncement.

He may have suspected he had it then.

PM closes down country because he feels a sniffle coming on.

5 hours ago, LeoV said:

Yea, I heard over here about that.
Are people wishful thinking??

I imagine if it happened to Trump, many would be applauding.

• Like 1

Hopefully nobody is applauding Johnson going into intensive care.  I disagreed with him about just about everything....BUT....I genuinely hope that he recovers. I would not wish CV19 ICU on anyone.

Thoughts and prayers to his partner and to everyone in the UK

• Like 1

Did anyone see if Boris was still shaking hands, when he went into the ICU ?

Asking for friend.

Wish him and all the thousends other sick people well though !

• Like 1

Gov claiming he is in ICU but not on a ventilator, my medical contacts say "why is he in ICU if he's not on a ventilator? ridiculous, he's on a ventilator"

Same reply's here from experts, he is in fase 2. Fase 1 your body is dealing with the virus in a normal way and maybe you need extra oxygen but in 10 days you recover. If you do not recover your body suddenly goes in 100% attack mode to the virus, your have serious difficulty breathing, your kidneys working overtime and you will be in IC and intubated. And switch from fase 1 to 2 is very quick. Or BJ is a special case.Or they are more careful with a PM. But he will be out for weeks even if he gets out of the IC now.

And Gove this morning, we decide in a group on important things.
Raab must be thinking; yeah right, I have the power...i do not trust backstabbing Gove.
But Raab can not do a reshuffle it seems.

Gove's kind of right, the cabinet makes decisions and if they don't agree with the PM they resign from the cabinet. Raab is operating under instructions from Johnson and Cummings, and you can bet Cummings is driving policy right now with Raab. I also seriously doubt Raab has the power to reshuffle the cabinet right now, he's not PM.

P.s Phase is spelt with a ph but pronounced f, one of those annoying bits of English.

• Like 1

Lord Heseltine, who served as deputy prime minister under John Major, has joined calls for great clarity about Raab’s role.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4 Heseltine said there “isn’t a clarity” about what Raab can do as deputy, noting:

I was deputy prime minister but I was never prime minister, if you know what I mean.

In other words, John Major was always in good health and in touch so the questions never really arose.

There must come a time when a deputy is effectively prime minister, I don’t think we’ve probably quite got to that now but the present urgency of the situation and the potential decisions that may need to be taken quickly does mean that Dominic Raab will have to use his discretion and know when to act.

This is a very difficult thing to do because he will be surrounded by lots of people who know what Boris Johnson said, believe Boris will be quickly back and have their own personal agendas anyway, so it’s a very difficult personal position and the man will be tested by the loneliness of the job.

--------------------------------------------------------
Not having a written constitution and the UK political system of winner takes all makes for weird times. Who is going to decide on Brexit negotiations now ?
It is time to decide on some rules for end June. Or will we sleepwalk into no trade deal...
Here there are rules written down, vice PM named at start, PM not capable, vice PM steps in and everyone knows his power. Same powers as old PM. No questions, no discussions. PM healthy again, vice steps down. But over here for some reasons the party has a bigger control over the PM.

Jon, thanks for upping my English, I do like it.
fase=phase got it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Gov claiming he is in ICU but not on a ventilator, my medical contacts say "why is he in ICU if he's not on a ventilator? ridiculous, he's on a ventilator"

Tested 11 days ago. Transmission maybe 14 days ago. Those requiring ICU the trend has been 10 days following symptoms. Raab in presser not spoken to him since Sat. 3 days later bit hard to speak if your on a vent He is not in ICU to look at ceiling. Lots of cardiac deaths even when recovery in ICU.

3 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Jon, thanks for upping my English, I do like it.
fase=phase got it.

I had hoped you wouldn't take offence :)

So what happens if Raab decide to quit ? Is that the only power has over other cabinet ministers ? Follow me or we all go to hell ? Gove is such an egoistic man it must hurt he is not deputy.

16 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Gove's kind of right, the cabinet makes decisions and if they don't agree with the PM they resign from the cabinet. Raab is operating under instructions from Johnson and Cummings, and you can bet Cummings is driving policy right now with Raab.

Raab not spoken to Johnson since Saturday means Cabinet rules. Then you look at calibre of Cabinet .... wonderful.

What I do not understand is that since Thursday they had a room prepared for BJ.
You would expect the room for a PM to be equipped with;
1- normal breathing support
2- IC equipment

As both are fully transportable and only depends on sockets in the wall for air and electricity. Why talk about moving into ICU ?

15 minutes ago, LeoV said:

What I do not understand is that since Thursday they had a room prepared for BJ.
2- IC equipment

As both are fully transportable and only depends on sockets in the wall for air and electricity. Why talk about moving into ICU ?

Not all rooms have oxygen, even fewer high flow oxygen. Plus ICU is a specific isolated setup less possible on other wards.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, LeoV said:

2- IC equipment

Not enough staff available to provide dedicated care to just one person? 
Or more serious, secondary equipment needed if it goes downhill rapidly? 

Or both. 

Still weird to me that he was not in a room with all measurements. They must have one on standby for the Queen for years now.
But probably your reasons are the answer.

Cummings in quiet lately, is he still playing with his super-forecasters and weirdo's ? And has Raab already decided on who is going to follow him up if he gets into hospital ?
Weird times...

Some economic guy's here say we are probably sleepwalking into no deal Brexit, some political commentators say BJ is the face of Brexit, he must be PM to make that decision. So a short extension will be asked. With a more open end date. By treaty it is 2 years max. Take the angle out of June decision, but what kind Brexit can still be decided on before end 2020, but with a new transition period, the extension time. This all only counts if BJ survives and take control again. If not, nobody knows.

3 minutes ago, LeoV said:

nobody knows.

.....sums it up perfectly. 

4 minutes ago, mad said:

.....sums it up perfectly. 

Perfect situation for businesses.
I really feel for the SME ones who barely survived 08, restructured and went profitable again after 2012, being in limbo since 2016 ref and now to be hit by Covid and not knowing their supply line cost after 2020 and if the clients have enough confidence to buy their product.

43 minutes ago, mad said:

Not enough staff available to provide dedicated care to just one person? 
Or more serious, secondary equipment needed if it goes downhill rapidly? 

Or both. 

Both. ICU nearly 5 persons per day. Staff off isolating. >120k in NHS.

"CAMZUK – the movement to draw together Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom – is an idea whose moment has arrived.

In any other point in history, and maybe in the future too, sharing a head of state and commander-in-chief (never mind a common language, legal system, political model, history, culture and family ties) would have been seen as self-evidently constituting an alliance or union.

Right now, the coronavirus crisis is overwhelming us....."

So subsidise the UK. Fuck off with your desperate 18/19th Century shit.

“Let’s Embrace The Commonwealth”

Fuck me!!

Has the dopey prick bothered  to speak to the other countries about this?? 

And in true Brexiteer fashion, asking for donations and finishes with 

Get CANZUK done!”

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

CAMZUK – the movement to draw together Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom – is an idea whose moment has arrived.

In any other point in history, and maybe in the future too, sharing a head of state and commander-in-chief (never mind a common language, legal system, political model, history, culture and family ties) would have been seen as self-evidently constituting an alliance or union.

Right now, the coronavirus crisis is overwhelming us.....

Get fucked.

“Let’s Embrace The Commonwealth”

How about if the UK had stayed in the EU and Canada, Australia, and New Zealand had joined?  Canada in particular might benefit from EU membership.  It might ease separatist tensions in Quebec.  Of course, it is not likely to happen with Canada entangled in NAFTA, excuse me - the USMCA, and Australia and New Zealand in the TPP.

Just a thought.

Slimy Gove self isolating as family member shows symptoms....

Don't get me wrong.  I don't wish death for the Prime Minister, but he is facing a lot of serious policy issues with no good solutions.  Death would be a way to avoid culpability. 

History is generally more sympathetic to leaders who die in office.

17 minutes ago, cms said:

How apt after his wife’s latest postings and journalism. 

https://twitter.com/westminsterwag/status/1246067039602536456?s=21

I don't trust WHO on this. If 6k actual doctors say #Hydroxychloroquine works, I'll take that over the opinion of an organisation that at every stage of this contagion has been at best sclerotic, at worst incompetent

2 minutes ago, cms said:

Perfect, he can admit his family to this;
The First Few Hundred WHO pandemic research.

Been running here since 3 weeks, get hundred families with one known case of Covid, and follow them rigorously. It is the way to get a first understanding of how the virus spread within a small group. Best is if granny is living in. But that is risky. On this research they will decide here to open the schools in 3 weeks or not.

1 hour ago, LeoV said:

Still weird to me that he was not in a room with all measurements. They must have one on standby for the Queen for years now.
But probably your reasons are the answer.

Cummings in quiet lately, is he still playing with his super-forecasters and weirdo's ? And has Raab already decided on who is going to follow him up if he gets into hospital ?
Weird times...

Some economic guy's here say we are probably sleepwalking into no deal Brexit, some political commentators say BJ is the face of Brexit, he must be PM to make that decision. So a short extension will be asked. With a more open end date. By treaty it is 2 years max. Take the angle out of June decision, but what kind Brexit can still be decided on before end 2020, but with a new transition period, the extension time. This all only counts if BJ survives and take control again. If not, nobody knows.

The Queen has a royal physician, and probably has private medical facilities in house, a politician can't be seen doing that. They have to go NHS or they'd be crucified. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonRowe said:

Gove's kind of right, the cabinet makes decisions and if they don't agree with the PM they resign from the cabinet. Raab is operating under instructions from Johnson and Cummings, and you can bet Cummings is driving policy right now with Raab. I also seriously doubt Raab has the power to reshuffle the cabinet right now, he's not PM.

P.s Phase is spelt with a ph but pronounced f, one of those annoying bits of English.

3 hours ago, JonRowe said:

I had hoped you wouldn't take offence :)

He probably wanted to tell you to phuck ophph.

4 hours ago, captain_crunch said:

Don't get me wrong.  I don't wish death for the Prime Minister, but he is facing a lot of serious policy issues with no good solutions...

I don't wish death on him. He wished death on over 100k of his own citizens prosecuting a pandemic response plan he knew that would occur, but having the luxury that he and all his mates got a ICU bed ahead of them.

So just fuck him.

5 hours ago, captain_crunch said:

History is generally more sympathetic to leaders who die in office.

The Assassination of Abraham Johnson

1. Where was General Grant?

Gove wanted to be there. However he declined the invitation on account John Wilkes Farage who he employed to shoot Johnson he thought a double crossing prick plus didn't think he was a good enough shot and may miss and hit him.

2. Lincoln almost didn’t go to Ford’s Theater

Johnson was reluctant to go to the play but there was nothing on Netflix that night.

3. If Colfax had been in the booth with Lincoln, two persons in line to succeed Lincoln would have been in danger.

Cummings decided to have the night off and play Warcraft with one his young weirdo SPAD's.

4.  Why wasn’t Vice President Johnson attacked?

Gove and John Wilkes Farage had convinced Priti Patel to kill Raab but she got caught up doing her makeup trying to remove her 24/7 smirk.

5. How did Secretary of State Seward survive despite having his throat stabbed two or three times?

Rees Mogg luckily had a long neck so they were able to glue his head back on, albeit it left him 6" shorter.

6. Where was Lincoln’s bodyguard?

John Parker, the bodyguard, initially left his position to watch the play, and then he went to the bar for intermission and got pissed. It is speculated John Wilkes Farage was there and the body guard gave him more ammunition on account he only found out that day that Johnson was banging his missus.

7. Where was the Secret Service?

MI5's special PM Brexit detail didn’t exist yet, but Johnson had signed the Bill creating it the week before, but left it with the Russian Report and no one could find it.

8. How did Booth stay in hiding for so long?

John Wilkes Farage was able to escape Ford’s Theater alive, disguised as a deformed frog and he was on the run for 12 days, accompanied by another conspirator, David Davis. The pair went to a Tavern in Southampton, gathered supplies, to flee to France on their fake EU passports. Scottish and Irish forces were hot on their trail to reward them, but upon seeing Farage said fuck it and  fatally wounded him, and Davis surrendered.

9. The original plan was to kidnap Lincoln, not kill him

Gove and Farage came up with a plan to kidnap Johnson as he returned from Hospital after a bad attack of the Chinese Flu.  But Johnson changed his plans at the last minute and went around to Laura K's place for some horizontal folk dancing.

10.  Was Mary Surratt part of the conspiracy?

That’s a topic still being debated today. Liz Truss was a Gove sympathizer but being dumb as batshit she kept forgetting the plan.

images - 2020-04-08T010251.577.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, captain_crunch said:

How about if the UK had stayed in the EU and Canada, Australia, and New Zealand had joined?  Canada in particular might benefit from EU membership.  It might ease separatist tensions in Quebec.  Of course, it is not likely to happen with Canada entangled in NAFTA, excuse me - the USMCA, and Australia and New Zealand in the TPP.

Just a thought.

They are in so many other trading blocks, add another and one geographicaly removed, they would go friggin mental.

6 hours ago, captain_crunch said:

Just a thought.

NAFTA/USMCA makes so much more sense for Canada than the EU. Geographically Canada may extend 3,000 miles north from the US border but 90% of the population is within 100 miles of it. The US market within a days trucking of Canada dwarfs the size of the Canadian market.

Many Canadians would emotionally support closer relations with the EU. Although I'd not think it would affect Quebec sovereignty much one way or the other (It's not like De Gaulle was helpful and there are few De Gaullists still in France).

With the negotiations over the UK’s future relationship with the EU in flux due to the coronavirus pandemic, David Frost, the British chief negotiator has said he will hold talks by video-conference call with his counterpart, Michel Barnier, next week. Frost tweeted:

I want to reassure everyone that UK-EU contacts have been continuing in these difficult times.

We have remained in touch throughout, both sides have exchanged legal texts, and last week we had a series of conference calls to explore & clarify technicalities.

The UK side will share further legal texts with the European commission shortly. I and Michel Barnier will speak next week and we aim to reach agreement on a timetable for the discussions needed in April and May. Further details will follow then.
Source Guardian.

Well this will certainly be well received the Brexiteers.

European Union science chief resigns, slamming bloc’s coronavirus response

Full statement here (pdf)

citing an “internal political thunderstorm” involving the highest levels of the European Commission.

“I have been extremely disappointed by the European response to Covid-19,” said Ferrari.

As well as a failure to fund scientists to tackle the crisis, Ferrari cited a “complete absence of coordination of health care policies among member states, the recurrent opposition to cohesive financial support initiatives, the pervasive one-sided border closures, and the marginal scale of synergistic scientific initiatives” by the EU.

... “I thought that at a time like this, the very best scientists in the world should be provided with resources and opportunities to fight the pandemic, with new drugs, new vaccines, new diagnostic tools, new behavioral dynamic approaches based on science, to replace the oft-improvised intuitions of political leaders,” he said.

58 minutes ago, KC375 said:

As well as a failure to fund scientists to tackle the crisis, Ferrari cited a “complete absence of coordination of health care policies among member states, the recurrent opposition to cohesive financial support initiatives, the pervasive one-sided border closures, and the marginal scale of synergistic scientific initiatives” by the EU........approaches based on science, to replace the oft-improvised  intuitions of political leaders,”  he  said.

Maybe he should chill and go visit the US and see the true definition of absence of coordination, one-sided border closures, marginal synergistic scientific initiatives and the oft-improvisation by political leaders over science.

EUIKZh0XkAAiwxW.jpeg.463f38280ea0ef59922138f13a0fe7f2.jpeg

This status report actually very significant for Brexit.

Big leap between being on constant pressure O2 versus on ventilator. As Leo mentioned if ventilation required then kiss off him being able to operate for a few months. 

Virus might have killed Cummings plans to take powers from Civil Service and centralise. If it wasn't for them UK would be stuffed.

EU_8iG1XYAAZOWJ.jpeg

2 hours ago, KC375 said:

“I have been extremely disappointed by the European response to Covid-19,” said Ferrari.

.....Ferrari cited a “complete absence of coordination of health care policies among member states, 

He cites a “complete absence of  coordination of health care policies among member states" Maybe he wasn't referring to virus responses but check this out.

Health Care Factors

Health Index - Ranked Sweden, Netherlands followed by UK in Top 20 Healthiest Countries.

Population over 65 yo - Sweden 19.9%, Netherlands 18.9% & UK 18.3%. This follows healthiest country index.

ICU Beds - UK, Sweden and Netherlands all have around same number of ICU Beds per capita. (6/7 per 100,000)

Total Hospital Beds per 1,000 pop - Netherlands 3.3, UK 2.5 and Sweden 2.2.

So roughly Sweden the healthiest and oldest (like Italy/Spain) but having the lesser health infrastructure, noting the virus hits the older far harder. Netherlands having the better health care infrastructure of the three and UK the worst.

Therefore the before virus response strategies, the virus fatality rate per capita based on Health Care Factors should have Sweden the highest followed closely by the UK then Netherlands the lowest.

Virus Response

The UK and Sweden experienced their first case at the same time in late January. The Netherlands in late February or around 3 weeks later.

Testing rates per capita to date are ranked highest Sweden, followed closely by Netherlands then UK the lowest, noting Netherlands first fatality 3 weeks after the other two, so rate is effectively higher having regard to time.

Ignoring Belarus and Moldovia, the two European minimalist virus responses are Sweden (nothing) & the UK (no prior directives & slow lockdown). Netherlands 3 weeks behind with the first death, a average Euro, same lockdown start as UK but one of the earlliest with directives.

So ranked in virus response Netherlands, UK followed by Sweden doing little/nothing. Then taking Health Care Factors into account Sweden should have a far greater fatality rate than the other two and the Netherlands the lowest by a good margin.

Yet the death rate per capita ranking is the REVERSE with Netherlands, UK followed by Sweden the lowest.

So as you can see a unified EU response is difficult to prosecute when the outcome can be mixed. Ultimately it is the politicians in each state that have to answer to their citizens for that outcome.

_111648245_european_countries_lockdown_cv_640-3x-nc.png

IMG_20200408_131222.jpg

17 hours ago, JonRowe said:

The Queen has a royal physician, and probably has private medical facilities in house, a politician can't be seen doing that. They have to go NHS or they'd be crucified. 

Royal Family zip over to King Edward VII's Private Hospital. I had a girlfriend once who worked there. Only around 50 beds 4.5 staff per bed and I just checked has 4 bed ICU. Menu says fish, sourced in Devon and Cornwall, as well as Argyle smoked salmon, shellfish, and luxury prawns from the west of Scotland. Even get a nighttime drink.

Interesting history. Established in 1899 to treat injured soldiers fighting in the Second Boer War. Still open to British Army personnel who receive a 20% discount on treatments or can apply for grants to cover the entire cost.

Yes if Johnson went there he would crucified. He is at St Thomas' a NHS teaching Hospital.

591be727dd0895374b8b4750.jpeg

images - 2020-04-08T153452.403.jpeg

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

He is at St Thomas' a NHS teaching Hospital.

Please note, a teaching hospital is a normal hospital with a medical school attached. Some of our best hospitals are teaching hospitals.

13 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Please note, a teaching hospital is a normal hospital with a medical school attached. Some of our best hospitals are teaching hospitals.

Understand Jon. Was married to one from one of those once. Hope your doing good.

7 hours ago, KC375 said:

Well this will certainly be well received the Brexiteers.

European Union science chief resigns, slamming bloc’s coronavirus response

Let them have this one.

But you wonder his passports; Italian American or more precise American Italian.
Where did he spend the first 3 months this year, at home in Berkely.
What did he want when he showed up; something he could head. But problem that was already in place with another director that had taken all the cash he wanted. (Horizon project with covid department)
He probably has some points, EU is not perfect, but this is overreacting and grandstanding.

Last time an American passport holder will have a big job in the EU. EU thought to get an experienced dedicated a-political man, but he turned 100% political.

Ps, some more digging, just 3 months in the job and mostly absent and not a big wig and in no way a policy maker;
He’s Chair of the Scientific Council for an EU executive agency (the ERC), whose responsibility is to disburse research grants.

But Brexiteer Tory MP's are using it as prove why they should not work together with the EU on ventilators, PPE or anything else...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

@The Dark Knight mate I know your interest in things Swedish...and you thought little of their viral response like I..4 posts up might interest you.

what makes yo think that? ;)

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Health Index - Ranked Sweden, Netherlands followed by UK in Top 20 Healthiest Countries.

what fanciful "health index" is that? I saw one a few years ago which ranked 15 or 20 wealthy countries, ranking Sweden very high. However when you only included categories that were directly related to the publics access to the health system and the quality of treatment (i.e. I am sick I need treatment), then Sweden went to rock bottom. 

2 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

what makes yo think that ?

what fanciful "health index" i

From your post somewhere... WHO/UN/WB index hardly fanciful....anyway no bother.

The real story is starting to emerge. Bit rambling but rare and very well researched piece of journalism. 

Johnson listened to his scientists about coronavirus - but they were slow to sound the alarm

Incompetence and distorted prioritisation of national interest at its best.

The Govt are primed to repeat exactly the same thing with Brexit.

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

So ranked in virus response Netherlands, UK followed by Sweden doing little/nothing. Then taking Health Care Factors into account Sweden should have a far greater fatality rate than the other two and the Netherlands the lowest by a good margin.

Yet the death rate per capita ranking is the REVERSE with Netherlands, UK followed by Sweden the lowest.

To say that Sweden should have a higher fatality rate based on the different responses is not correct. You need to look at the demographic of who are getting more infected.

There are certain factors about Swedish society that will mean that the virus spreads through the population differently and these aspects luckily protect the people who need protection, the elderly. So you need to look at the demographics of who gets infected. I suspect that societal differences and population density may mean that less old people in Sweden get infected

As for societal differences ....

In the 70's, Swedish PM Olof Palmer made a dramatic change to the Swedish social system to ensure that no Swede was reliant others (i.e parents) for their financial wellbeing (he seemed to have a fucked up relationship with his wealthy father or something), but this has made them reliant on the state. As a result Sweden has the highest number of single person households in the world, something like 60% I think. So children move out of home and live alone early and at the other end of life the elderly have the state to help them so they can live alone at home without the need for family support until they need a nursing home. It has created a society which is pretty fucked up, a lonely society. Right now, this can also protect the elderly from getting infected, certainly by younger family members,

This doco is a good summary of Sweden's fucked up society.. put the CC on for when the Swedes talk.

6 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

To say that Sweden should have a higher fatality rate based on the different responses is not correct.

As for societal differences ....

Now I think about it...Swedes got a head start on social distancing.

images - 2020-04-08T225724.319.jpeg

8 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

You obviously didn't read what I wrote. Health Index wasn't health care system it was individual health. Health Care they came last of the 3.

9 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Total Hospital Beds per 1,000 pop - Netherlands 3.3, UK 2.5 and Sweden 2.2.

So roughly Sweden the healthiest and oldest (like Italy/Spain) but having the lesser health infrastructure, noting the virus hits the older far harder.

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Now I think about it...Swedes got a head start on social distancing.

images - 2020-04-08T225724.319.jpeg

I posted this one in another thread the other day. It sums them up perfectly.

EXCEPT if you are in a crowded bar in Stockholm they are are rude as fuck just barging through the crowds. One night I really just wanted to deck this dumb bitch because of the way she barged through. I did find that if you met Swedes who have lived for a time in big cities around the world, then they realise what dicks their fellow Swedes are like in crowds. Because they know you can negotiate your way through a crowded bar without being a total cunt.   

91272820_10206940071215872_4281039644772007936_n.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

You obviously didn't read what I wrote. Health Index wasn't health care system it individual health. Health Care they came last of the 3.

clearly not. Swedes are the masters of PR. Too many foreigners and Swedes for that matter have been blinded by the BS.

You may recall HOC Liason Committee (members Chairs of all Select Committees) that PM's front a few times a year and Boris has refused to attend. After Dec election has engineered for one not being established.

Finally a Labour voice.

Select Committee chairs should act now and establish a Liaison Committee - MPs must not allow government behind closed doors to continue

Cameron, May, Johnson, Raab, every year a new sweetheart. BJ is so 2019 news, he had his Brexit moment. Now the hope is that he will survive it and get ready for a new son and a marriage. If he returns in a few weeks, he will have to admit he was gone in the most important time. And his political underlings will not give much leeway to him to shine as a Covid Hero who managed the country well while in IC. I say Liz Truss for PM.

https://erc.europa.eu/news/resignation-mauro-ferrari-–-statement-scientific-council

Absolutely blistering statement from ERC Scientific Council on Mauro Ferrari. *Accusing him of being "at best .. economical with the truth" in account of resignation. *All 19 active ERC members say they asked him to resign on 27 March, b/c he did not understand ERC mission.

This is a mistake made by the ones (a few scientist, not bureaucrats lead by an Italian), so it was an EU fault to hire him.
But they wished him all the best in the future. But for Brexiteers it was a moment of glory to use this. Let them have it.

34 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Why, it says the EU is now busy with the EU. So Brexit is now a minor problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeoV said:

I say Liz Truss for PM.

Now that’s just downright evil!! 

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Well it’s blatantly obvious that it’s not a feasible option at this current time, might as well spell it out for the myopic few that can’t see it. 
97ff066e3b5e65e53ee376f85ac97dfd.jpg.056086ed97316d5daa444e2bc0b6c824.jpg

7 minutes ago, mad said:

Well it’s blatantly obvious that it’s not a feasible option at this current time, might as well spell it out for the few that can’t see it. 

Gove just before he went home to isolate said there was no reason for Dec to be extended. 

36 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Good read.

Now throw Brexit on top because you don't want to lose face.

• businessman with hands over eyes stepping off the edge of a cliff - Stock Image

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I bet you don't know who Luigi Camporota is?

He is the leading ICU respiratory doctor keeping Johnson alive and one of those pesky Italian migrants the UK is saddled with. Haven't seen UK press pick this one up.

Coronavirus, Johnson in ospedale. C’è anche un italiano tra i medici che assistono il premier

If he only has mild symptoms and having regular testing as announced by the government,  why the fuck is he in there taking up space, time and medical supplies that others badly need?

1 hour ago, LeoV said:

https://erc.europa.eu/news/resignation-mauro-ferrari-–-statement-scientific-council

Absolutely blistering statement from ERC Scientific Council on Mauro Ferrari. *Accusing him of being "at best .. economical with the truth" in account of resignation. *All 19 active ERC members say they asked him to resign on 27 March, b/c he did not understand ERC mission.

This is a mistake made by the ones (a few scientist, not bureaucrats lead by an Italian), so it was an EU fault to hire him.
But they wished him all the best in the future. But for Brexiteers it was a moment of glory to use this. Let them have it.

It seems to me the ERC shows a classic administrators misunderstanding of the situation and is patently unfair in its statement when it says: “Professor Ferrari's statement, which at best is economical with the truth."

The release says “his resignation in fact followed a written unanimous vote of no confidence. In contrast, Professor Ferrari has stated that the reason for his resignation is that the Scientific Council did not support his call for the ERC to fund a special initiative focused on the COVID-19 virus."

From the Eurocrats perspective it is self evident if your board unanimously votes no confidence in you that you would resign. That may be the norm for an EU apparatchik but not for a towering intellect (and Narcissist) of Ferrari’s stature.

From the lofty peak of Mauro’s arrogance it would seem absurd to resign because the dimwits on his board lost faith in him. It is clear Ferrari resigned not because a vote of nonconfidence but out of petulance that he did not get his personal platform for greater fame in the Covid 19 spotlight.

Mauro was not economical with the truth. His resignation reads true.

It was the ERC that was economical with insight into the mind of a self certain scientist that has risen to the peak of his own conviction.  

(I had to deal with someone of Mauro’s temperament, a chief scientist whose personality drove away the best researchers, unfortunately in my case the board showed less resolve than the ERC).

• Like 1

Out of the weird stats drawer.

- Greater Manchester traffic is down by over 80%.

-.Police are catching 40% more drivers speeding.

Does that mean the only people driving around Manchester are those on speed?

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Out of the weird stats drawer.

- Greater Manchester traffic is down by over 80%.

-.Police are catching 40% more drivers speeding.

Does that mean the only people driving around Manchester are those on speed?

Or an open roadway invites you to use it to the fullest..

10 minutes ago, KC375 said:

Or an open roadway invites you to use it to the fullest..

...then crash and get a slot in ICU by maybe displacing say someone whose 90 yo and dispensable like this here Bill.