JimC

Finn Class making friends?

I am feeling the same challenge as when a teacher would say: 

Use acnestis in a sentence 

My likely reply would be: 

Hardly anybody knows what acnestis means and there are plenty of people who would stand behind me and agree. 

-//-

So @JimC, here is my reply 

Let’s all get together for free beer after a regatta and see who can tell a story with the most hilarious disinformation. 

Here are a couple questions to answer:

What kind of beer do you like best?

Do you have  a favorite time and place ?

Shouldn’t  this post gain supporters?? 

1 hour ago, JimC said:

https://finnclass.org/news/20-news/1065-statement-from-finn-class-following-2019-world-sailing-conference

Upset as they doubtless are, I don't think they'll gain too many  new supporters using phrases like "disinformation" and "questions to answer"

Not too sure.  I don't think WS has any (unless inside on the free gravy train) friends. For sure not many.  So on the theory of the enemy of my enemy is my friend, the Finn class should have many friends!

4 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Let’s all get together for free beer after a regatta and see who can tell a story with the most hilarious disinformation. 

Here are a couple questions to answer:

What kind of beer do you like best?

Do you have  a favorite time and place ?

Shouldn’t  this post gain supporters?? 

What kind of beer do you like best? - FREE BEER

Do you have  a favorite time and place ?  - WHENEVER AND WHEREVER FREE BEER IS AVAILABLE

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Free James Brown 

Good God man; it took them almost 3 months to bury him and now you want them to dig him up!?  Get @RobbieB to do it. I think James is pushing daises down  Robbie's way.

The Olympics doesn’t deserve classes like the Finn. That boat still is the pinnacle of singlehanded sailing. Who cares about the Olympics anymore?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Old Yeller said:

The Olympics doesn’t deserve classes like the Finn. That boat still is the pinnacle of singlehanded sailing. Who cares about the Olympics anymore?

I thought the Starboard iFoil was now the pinnacle of single-handed sailing?

I thought it was either that round the world race 

more the day a kid First steers his own boat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tillerman said:

Bring back the Firefly.

Bring back the Laser!

On 11/5/2019 at 9:44 AM, JimC said:

https://finnclass.org/news/20-news/1065-statement-from-finn-class-following-2019-world-sailing-conference

Upset as they doubtless are, I don't think they'll gain too many  new supporters using phrases like "disinformation" and "questions to answer"

Apparently no one here actually read the IFA's submissions to WS, there was some whinging about "wahh they want to take away kiteboards for their displacement boat" that I don't have the patience to link here.

WS has the events it wants for 2024-namely kites and "Mixed Doublehanded Offshore". The slate as it currently stands:

• Men's Singlehander: Laser
  • Women's Singlehander: Radial
  • Men's/Women's Windsurfer: Undetermined, Neil Pryde threatening to pull out of 2020 if the RS:X isn't confirmed, lots of support for "Starboard iFoil"
  • Mixed Doublehanded Dinghy: 470
  • Mixed Kites: IKA Formula
  • Men's Skiff: 49er
  • Women's Skiff: 49erFX
  • Mixed Multihull: Nacra 17F
  • Mixed Doublehanded Offshore: TBD, L30 possibly.

Without going down the rabbit hole of who got screwed (470M helms, 470W crews, the majority of the male gender), the IFA submission would not touch the (pants-on-head retarded) offshore decision and would ensure both kites and windsurfers got to stay, albeit in mixed fleets; WS would get to claim gender equity, and Olympic sailing would not be limited to anorexic midgets. I was not at the Bermuda conference and I hear most of this third-hand, but the equipment committee was influenced either by the Luka 30/Offshore lobby or the Kiters, and the "forward at any price, we need TV revenue goddammit" mindset carried. I believe that is the referenced disinformation.

As far as "questions to answer", are we not going to talk about the fact that WS is pissing away money and is already borrowing against their projected earnings? How upper management is a revolving door through an ATM? I support any attempt to dislodge Andersen but the problem is deeper than that and needs to be rooted out over many years, patience the IOC may or may not have and depending on the MNA's might not have the pocketbooks.

Oh well. The Olympics is going down the toilet anyway, guess I'll just go sail my Finn.

prop.png

Geeze - the Olympic regatta only happens once very four years and the number of sailors who compete in it is about 0.000005% of the world population. I can't think of anything that's more irrelevant to the future success of the sport of sailing.

Just go and sail any boat you like and have fun. And quit whining that your class of choice isn't in the Olympics.

In fact, celebrate the fact that the class you sail isn't in the Olympics. You're much better off this way.

• Like 3

On 11/6/2019 at 3:44 AM, JimC said:

Agreed.

I expect that there is more to come.

1 hour ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

Spoken like a true Aerobian ;)

Could the Aerobian be Aeronious?

13 minutes ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

If more aerotic women sailed aeros it could cure aeroctile dysfunction

Aeros is the Greek god of love. What does it mean to sail Aeros? Is that a euphemism?

Sad to see a once great class become so hypocritical.  They whine about how unfair it is that Finn sailors will lose their Olympic spot, then propose that male windsurfers suffer the same fate. They claim that the Games should represent the sport, but then whine about the huge number of yachties getting two spots, which leaves them grossly under-represented.   They  ignore the whole concept of being fair to sailors of all weights for decades while it suits them, then hypocritically bang on about it once the tide turns against them.

Oh, and One point five, arrogant fuckwits like you can stick your moronic childish “anorexic” insults where it hurts most.  Arsewipe

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

and Olympic sailing would not be limited to anorexic midgets.

Nah... You are just too fat to be considered an athlete. Keep eating burgers.

10 hours ago, Old Yeller said:

Aeros is the Greek god of love. What does it mean to sail Aeros? Is that a euphemism?

Whatever rocks your boat.

• Like 1

The issue is the only people who give a fuck that the Finn is done are the Finn sailors. Now they keep writing letters to each other, but sending them to others who've already made it clear that they don't care. Then they put articles on the interweb about how cross they are.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, European Bloke said:

The issue is the only people who give a fuck that the Finn is done are the Finn sailors. Now they keep writing letters to each other, but sending them to others who've already made it clear that they done care. Then they put articles on the interweb about how cross they are.

m_5cdef2f408d2c202d8baf05a.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bruce Hudson said:

Agreed.

I expect that there is more to come.

Yuuuuk!! Did not want that image !!

1 hour ago, European Bloke said:

The issue is the only people who give a fuck that the Finn is done are the Finn sailors. Now they keep writing letters to each other, but sending them to others who've already made it clear that they don't care. Then they put articles on the interweb about how cross they are.

Yep. Oh well.

1 hour ago, European Bloke said:

I’ve only sailed a Finn once in my life. At the age of 18 in San Diego weighing 165. Slightly overpowered..... However, I care what happens to the Finn class. Part of the reason the Olympics has become such a joke is because of decisions like this. Finn sailors are some of the top athletes in the Games. The boat is a classic and the class will endure regardless of the Olympics. 

• Like 4

Finns are nice old toys but they have evolved into absurdly expensive singlehanded sailing beasts. 
If your budget can accommodate flying yourself and a boat to various resort venues around the planet, you can participate in occasional big fleet competition with old men. 
Otherwise, a Finn is just a “go for rides” boat whose only available racing opportunities come in tiny fleets or Portsmouth events.

Without the Olympics, the Finn fleet will continue to wither as the remaining Finn  sailors’ bodies age out. 

18 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Finns are nice old toys but they have evolved into absurdly expensive singlehanded sailing beasts. 
If your budget can accommodate flying yourself and a boat to various resort venues around the planet, you can participate in occasional big fleet competition with old men. 
Otherwise, a Finn is just a “go for rides” boat whose only available racing opportunities come in tiny fleets or Portsmouth events.

Without the Olympics, the Finn fleet will continue to wither as the remaining Finn  sailors’ bodies age out. 

Yes they are expensive. I hope the class can evolve outside of the games. Maybe something like the Star Sailors League is a possibility.

5 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Eh, you can get a decent used one for $4-6k, nicer used ones around $10-12k, you only really need to shell out Moth money if you want to get all new stuff from Europe. Masts last forever and very few people are buying new sails every year.

6 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Master's is definitely going to be a driving force in the Post-Olympic era; Devoti said they sell roughly 50% of their boats to Olympic aspirants and the other 50% went to Masters; if Devoti loses roughly half of his business both he and his competitors (Pata, Petticrows, Hitech) will have to drive their prices down and hopefully make it more accessible; breakeven point seems to be between $10-12k for labor/materials/measurement/licensing & royalties which is reasonable for an overbuilt 15' dinghy. (As of this morning a Weta is $15,500, a VX Evo is $17,900, and an OK dinghy is about $9500 not including mast/boom/sail which brings it to about $14,000) 

8 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Respectfully, how big is the AYC Aero fleet Gouv?

30+ boats at Nationals and North Americans, many Mobile and San Diego guys don't travel. Different story in Europe and Oceania, GBR Nationals had 46 boats,  Masters Euros had a 65 boat fleet, Aussie Nationals had 40 boats. It's not even close to the Laser or the Sunfish, but for the market space it occupies they do alright. What singlehanders are there that guys who weigh 200+ lbs can be competitive in all conditions?

27 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

The Olympic carrot is gone and there will definitely be an exodus from some of the younger campaigners to try and do something else, but there are guys coming from other boats as well who are simply too big to sail Lasers or Sunfish or Lightnings and don't want to buy a keelboat and deal with all the hassle that brings. There are 6-7 U30 guys in the U.S. who came into the boat in the past two years, I'd have to check but I believe that around a dozen-ish boats have been sold to guys new to the class in the past calendar year. It's not the fleet it was in the 80's and 90's but what fleet is?

• Like 1

Comparing AERO fleets to Finn fleets is an interesting exercise. 

How many Finns were there in Austin a few years after Finns were introduced?  

1990: Hardly anybody had a mobile  phone There were still dial phones in use!!

2 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

How many Finns were there in Austin a few years after Finns were introduced?  

Last season 7 Finns competed at the Waiuku club champs. (These are all club sailors). This is just one club in New Zealand.

There are 6 Aeros in all of New Zealand. My understanding is that only 3 are regularly used.

Competitive Finns are less expensive than Aeros.

Establishing new classes is tough, when there are existing established classes like the Finn to compete against.

On 11/8/2019 at 12:27 PM, onepointfivethumbs said:

Eh, you can get a decent used one for $4-6k, nicer used ones around $10-12k, 

That’s not that bad. Hell,  maybe I could race some Finn regattas. At 190 I would be extremely lightweight. I would enjoy the challenge though.

• Like 2

Those in the US interested in cost of Finns, check out:

https://www.dinghyracingusa.com/index.php

Joe can set you up in anything from a nice $4,000 boat to a brand new $20,000+ ready to sail. He can handle all of the import stuff into the US and maybe even arrange a delivery to your location. I think that Joe had a good "starter" Finn in the US at least a few weeks ago. Contact him. Great guy. @onepointfivethumbs can add his significant expertise but with the right mast and sail 190 is not "extremely" lightweight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan Crawford said:

with the right mast and sail 190 is not "extremely" lightweight

That’s encouraging. I’ll look into it. Thanks for the link.

If the the Star can thrive post-Olympics, why can't the Finn? In light air Vancouver, my issue with a Finn would not be mine own weight and lack thereof, it would be getting the weight of a Finn in and out of the water.    

The Finn maintains its absolute place atop the dinghy sailing world for men over 190 lbs, and the Finn Gold Cup is  the ultimate prize - even moreso than the Olympics imho. The Olympics loses relevance much more than the Finn class. A bad decision. It is like taking the top weight classes out of boxing, wrestling and weightlifting.

I can’t see numbers shrinking much for the Finn. Where would they go?

1 hour ago, spankoka said:

If the the Star can thrive post-Olympics, why can't the Finn? In light air Vancouver, my issue with a Finn would not be mine own weight and lack thereof, it would be getting the weight of a Finn in and out of the water.    

Time will tell. The initial alarmism is that there will be fewer young people coming into the class since they won't be able to go to the Olympics. The Masters' fleet has always been very strong and that probably won't change, the biggest issue is going to be recruiting those who will eventually become Masters. The Class should probably pivot from "hey you idiots we should still be in the Olympics" to "If you want to sail singlehanded and you weigh more than 85kg we can hook you up with a great fleet". 

re: Stars, there's a lot of overlap with current and former Finn sailors, and many Star guys I've talked to have expressed interest in getting into the Finn when they don't want to wrangle a second crewmember and deal with the hoist and all. The class' "World Ranking" has officially been moved to the SSL system so more motivation for cross-pollination there too, I would wager that the current crop that doesn't have AC or Super Series gigs lined up would migrate to the SSL after Tokyo.

Yeah, especially after a long day it's not fun to pull the boat up the ramp; more motivation to hit the gym I guess ;) I've never had a problem finding people at regattas to help me though, ymmv.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 3:48 PM, Old Yeller said:

That’s not that bad. Hell,  maybe I could race some Finn regattas. At 190 I would be extremely lightweight. I would enjoy the challenge though.

The current Class President (and my fleet captain) lives at about 185, I've raced competitively against guys ranging from 170 to 300+. If you get a mast that fits you it's just a matter of chocking to the local conditions and letting it rip.

per @Alan Crawford, Joe Chinburg is a great guy to know, I bought my current boat from him. He's regularly been importing containers of "starter boats" from Holland and has a good relationship with the manufacturers in Europe. There are other deals that pop up but they're usually snatched up quite quickly, a lot of sales happen through offhanded remarks at the bar after racing before they ever make it to an advert, or in Facebook groups.

• Like 1

I have to wonder why if there are all these large men that want to sail a singlehaned dinghy,  why did the Megabyte not catch on? Certainly the Megabyte has much better ergonomics than either the Laser or Finn. 

19 minutes ago, spankoka said:

I have to wonder why if there are all these large men that want to sail a singlehaned dinghy,  why did the Megabyte not catch on? Certainly the Megabyte has much better ergonomics than either the Laser or Finn.

Having Olympic status, a well-organized class association and a 50-year head start probably didn't hurt.

They seem pretty similar, the cockpit depths look about the same, the mainsheet block is on the floor right behind the traveler, and the controls go to the sidedecks. If the MB had a pivoting centerboard instead of a daggerboard I think the comparison would be even more striking.

megabyte_3.jpg

caleb.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 10:54 AM, Gouvernail said:

Wow, how can someone with a lot of sailing knowledge be so completely wrong ?  The finn is not absurdly expensive.You can buy a beginner boat for 3-5 k, a nationally competitive boat for 7-10 k.  If you want a brand new boat, it is pricey but all new boats are pricey. You don't need a brand new boat unless you're doing a serious olympic campaign in which case the cost of the boat is minimal compared to other costs. Most of the national and regional events have from 20-35 boats.

If you want to do a world event with 100-250 boats somewhere in europe, the costs are actually very reasonable as there are many charters available. The finn fleet both in US and worldwide has lasted so long because it's a great boat that lasts forever and the friendships in the finn class last just as long.

One great example. Guess how many protests there were at the finn  world masters. 250 boats in two fleets so 125 boats one each starting line. Answer 1. In all the national events in the US last year, how many protests. 0, none. 

How many protests in similar sized laser or aero fleets ? Just curious. 

• Like 3

At the age of 7, our son told me that he prefers sailing the Finn rather than his Optimist.

I would spend hours keeping an eye on him while he mucked about in our old 75 dollar Finn in front of our house.

image.jpg

• Like 9

21 hours ago, trisail said:

At the age of 7, our son told me that he prefers sailing the Finn rather than his Optimist.

I would spend hours keeping an eye on him while he mucked about in our old 75 dollar Finn in front of our house.

image.jpg

That is awesome !!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, surf nazi said:

That is awesome !!

Thanks,

I love the creativity of children. They will find a use for something which is so different from what it was initially intended for. Like using a Finn as a kiddies boat.

One guy steers, the other one works the throttle.  Did I say, "they grow up too fast".

The chappy at the back is now one year short of becoming a medical doctor, the guy in the front is running his own business these days.

image.jpg

• Like 5

On 11/9/2019 at 3:48 PM, Old Yeller said:

Wanna start a Charleston Finn class?

27 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Wanna start a Charleston Finn class?

Yes. I think it would be a great compliment to the Laser. It looks like there is a good bit of activity in the Gulf Coast which is not too far. I’ve always wanted to give it a try. We’ll have to get W. Martin out  of retirement.

Edited by Old Yeller
Add content

On 11/9/2019 at 2:48 PM, Old Yeller said:

190 is not extremely lightweight at all. Many top people over the years have been right at 195-200. Once you sail the boat, you'll get it. The boat just feels right and is very seaworthy. that is why they can race when all other classes cannot. 

If you ever take a trip near Mobile, just let me know and we'll put you in a finn. We have a great group of finnsters here at Buccaneer yacht club. The class nationwide has really been growing over the last few years, a lot of it because boats are easier to find thanks to Joe who is a great guy.    

2 minutes ago, surf nazi said:

If you ever take a trip near Mobile, just let me know and we'll put you in a finn

Awesome! I love the Gulf. Growing up in Texas we traveled to Gulfport to race Lasers.

2 hours ago, surf nazi said:

190 is not extremely lightweight at all. Many top people over the years have been right at 195-200. Once you sail the boat, you'll get it. The boat just feels right and is very seaworthy. that is why they can race when all other classes cannot. 

If you ever take a trip near Mobile, just let me know and we'll put you in a finn. We have a great group of finnsters here at Buccaneer yacht club. The class nationwide has really been growing over the last few years, a lot of it because boats are easier to find thanks to Joe who is a great guy.    

I lived in Birmingham in the late 90's for a few years.  Loved Fairhope, AL.  Is there any Finn action going on down there in 2020?  Maybe Old Yeller and I could take a road trip.

50 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Then it's followed up by the Gulfcoast Championships.  Start looking for charter boats?

I’ll look at the calendar. I have an Opti schedule to work around. We’ll talk.

4 hours ago, Old Yeller said:

Yes. I think it would be a great compliment to the Laser. It looks like there is a good bit of activity in the Gulf Coast which is not too far. I’ve always wanted to give it a try. We’ll have to get W. Martin out  of retirement.

You know, Raleigh could use some Finns

1 hour ago, RobbieB said:

Then it's followed up by the Gulfcoast Championships.  Start looking for charter boats?

guys

this sounds like a lot of fun i want in

On 11/10/2019 at 4:26 PM, onepointfivethumbs said:

Having Olympic status, a well-organized class association and a 50-year head start probably didn't hurt.

They seem pretty similar, the cockpit depths look about the same, the mainsheet block is on the floor right behind the traveler, and the controls go to the sidedecks. If the MB had a pivoting centerboard instead of a daggerboard I think the comparison would be even more striking.

megabyte_3.jpg

caleb.jpg

I just bought Megabyte #307 and will get back to you on how it compares to a Laser or RS Aero. I had both and was too big for both. Hoping the Byte will be a better fit.

29 minutes ago, Old Yeller said:

I’ll look at the calendar. I have an Opti schedule to work around. We’ll talk.

I think 190 is a little big for an Opti.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, torrid said:

I think 190 is a little big for an Opti.

I knew something wasn’t right. I thought maybe it was my sprit tension. Just can’t point like I used to.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dgmckim said:

this sounds like a lot of fun i want in

If we quit our jobs we can continue on to Texas for the Easter regatta.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Old Yeller said:

If we quit our jobs we can continue on to Texas for the Easter regatta.

My wife would love that idea.....However, it's so good I think I'll just keep it to myself for now.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:27 AM, onepointfivethumbs said:

... but there are guys coming from other boats as well who are simply too big to sail Lasers or Sunfish or Lightnings...

Too big to sail a Lightning???

20 hours ago, RobbieB said:

That is a perfect idea. The coaching by Darrell Peck will be top notch and teach you everything you need to know about sailing a finn. Then you can apply it at the regatta. Fairhope yacht club is a great club with both ramp and beach launching ( or lifts if you want ) and the racing is on Mobile Bay about a 5 minute sail. There are plenty of cool places to stay in the area from cheap hotels and airbnb's to the Grand Hotel resort which has been around since the 1800's. 

The midwinters will be the weekend before in Sarasota. So should be a lot of boats. 

Feel free to pm me for more info.  

On 11/12/2019 at 11:46 AM, Old Yeller said:

I could be convinced..

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dgmckim said:

@Gouvernail will you give Finns a separate start at the Easter Regatta? ;)

If there are thirty preregistered sailors Before February 29 who want to have a FinnRegatta at Austin on Easter weekend, I will support Sharing AYC facilities for that event. 

Otherwise, I will continue to hold my position, the very best available singlehanded sailing racing and friendship opportunity on Easter weekend is to climb on a Laser and sail on Lake Travis.

note: Continued participation by the  AERO fleet is contingent upon solid projected attendance figures. ( solid is a term used by the  regatta chair and that chair has not yet described his definition of solid or his intended application.) 

On 11/12/2019 at 11:10 AM, surf nazi said:

Take Surf Nazi up on his offer, he's a great guy and I bought a boat from him years ago (wish I still had it). The Finn is a sublime boat, you will not be disappointed. My all up weight with gear was right at 190, and I could make it work, even up the breeze range (my mast was great, but I prob coulda used just a little more Flexi). But be advised if you are smaller you will need to plan on real gym time. 

Side note: the Finn is the only boat (big or small) that's ever scared me(in a good way). It will challenge you downwind in breeze, but that first time the puff/gust lifts your ass off the tank(because you are 1:1 on mainsheet) and the boat takes off you'll be hooked.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SC Finnster said:

I could be convinced..

Cool! Charleston harbor needs a Finn fleet. It would also give our youth sailors another option as some of them size out of other boats. We could push this and end up with a decent size fleet in 2-3 years.

• Like 2

I'd love to try a Finn! I sail Radial now so I'm for sure too small but I'm a big fan of big breeze and waves. The Finn looks more fun (and less likely to break) to handle in those conditions than a Laser.

2 hours ago, Old Yeller said:

Cool! Charleston harbor needs a Finn fleet. It would also give our youth sailors another option as some of them size out of other boats. We could push this and end up with a decent size fleet in 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, LTFF said:

I'd love to try a Finn! I sail Radial now so I'm for sure too small but I'm a big fan of big breeze and waves. The Finn looks more fun (and less likely to break) to handle in those conditions than a Laser.

looks like the Finn class has already made a couple of friends

13 hours ago, finnweb said:

Take Surf Nazi up on his offer, he's a great guy and I bought a boat from him years ago (wish I still had it). The Finn is a sublime boat, you will not be disappointed. My all up weight with gear was right at 190, and I could make it work, even up the breeze range (my mast was great, but I prob coulda used just a little more Flexi). But be advised if you are smaller you will need to plan on real gym time. 

Side note: the Finn is the only boat (big or small) that's ever scared me(in a good way). It will challenge you downwind in breeze, but that first time the puff/gust lifts your ass off the tank(because you are 1:1 on mainsheet) and the boat takes off you'll be hooked.

We are in the process of planning now thanks to Surf Nazi and his offered hospitality.  I really hope we can make this work!  The Finn has been a bucket list item for me for years.

Dang. Ya'll got me going. I want a single  hander to just go out and plane around, and get some good exercise.  We have a Raven, but it's hard to get crew as often as I want to go sailing, which is every time the wind blows. Been sailing planing dinghies since the mid 50's, so the boat doesn't intimidate me. But at 77 years  (190 lbs.) I'm not sure I could handle recovering  from a capsize. No longer have the agility to comfortably sail a Laser or Thistle. I am in Jacksonville FL, and there are none around here for a test sail. Considering going to Sarasota in March for a looksee, but my racing days are about over and I don't need a high dollar full race boat. My family isn't comfortable with the idea of me blasting off on my lonesome. But I survived stage 4 cancer, so anything is possible. An old man's pipe dream could make it to the presently empty bucket list. I have always admired the Finn, but never sailed where they were common.  Maybe I am just an old fool, but I really enjoy watching the Finn videos, especially when planing down the breeze.

6 hours ago, wade hough said:

Dang. Ya'll got me going. I want a single  hander to just go out and plane around, and get some good exercise.  We have a Raven, but it's hard to get crew as often as I want to go sailing, which is every time the wind blows. Been sailing planing dinghies since the mid 50's, so the boat doesn't intimidate me. But at 77 years  (190 lbs.) I'm not sure I could handle recovering  from a capsize. No longer have the agility to comfortably sail a Laser or Thistle. I am in Jacksonville FL, and there are none around here for a test sail. Considering going to Sarasota in March for a looksee, but my racing days are about over and I don't need a high dollar full race boat. My family isn't comfortable with the idea of me blasting off on my lonesome. But I survived stage 4 cancer, so anything is possible. An old man's pipe dream could make it to the presently empty bucket list. I have always admired the Finn, but never sailed where they were common.  Maybe I am just an old fool, but I really enjoy watching the Finn videos, especially when planing down the breeze.

Wade-

I highly recommend heading to Sarasota. I won't be there but there will be some very good ambassadors for the class in attendance, who will bend over backwards to get you into the boat.

Re: capsize recovery, there's no getting around the fact that it's a big, heavy boat, and you're going to have to haul yourself up onto the hull to grab the flat, beveled aluminum plate we call a centerboard and heave her upright. The good news is that capsizes are pretty uncommon, there are frequent opportunities to depower (having a soft mast, traveler, inhaul/outhaul, mast foot, deck chocks), and there are quite ingenious "geezer modifications" that make the beast slightly tamer and safer to sail.

There are a lot of opportunities to grab a boat, and more coming when the national teams start selling off their boats after the Olympics. There was a Vanguard on craigslist for $400 a couple weeks ago, and other decent Vanguards changing hands for around $1,000. There might be a Teal about two hours south of me for $600ish as well. The point is that most of the class does not have $30,000 invested into hyper-faired Devoti Fantasticas with trailers full of sails and venue-specific rigs, and you can go out and have fun at a similar price point as a newer used Laser.

As far as old fools go, there are some very infamous names in the U.S. Finn fleet, closest to your age would be Super Henry Sprague and Gus Miller, both of whom are very active in the class including the Master's circuit at 76 and 82 respectively, and many others around the world who just sail it because they love the boat.

The 5o5 site used to have a quotes page; one that always struck out to me was "When you're dead, you tend to stay dead for a long time, so go sail the boat you want".

Parting words: there's a great bumper sticker that says "Cheat the Nursing Home and Die On Your Laser". I think that's the attitude we should all have as Dinghy Anarchists, make Paul proud!

800.jpeg

• Like 3

Your encouraging words are music to my ears. Recovery from capsize? We'll see. I am recovering my strength after being almost dead a year ago. Anyhow, I won't be out there in a blow practicing heavy air jibes like Paul Elvstrom.  I know where Sarasota is. Raced in the Labor Day regattas there in the '50's 

On 11/8/2019 at 5:54 PM, Gouvernail said:

I sailed the Masters in 2008 in Medemblik NL, 2014 in Sopot Poland, 2018 in El Balis Spain and am going to Port Zeland NL end of May.First week of June. 
Never spent more than a few hundred Euros, Mostly camped on site. Great racing 240 - 350 boats. Sopot my be somewhat of a resort destination, well for Polish people. The others not so much.

Port Zeland 295€ entry, 5€ per night with a small tent. maybe 100 € to pitch in for fuel  for my friend who Is driving the 3 boat trailer and 60 for gas for my motorcycle. Like new second hand North sail for 500, good second hand WB Sail for 200 will get two seasons out of  them. 
Boat, older but fast Devoti 3500€ Second hand HIT mast, nice and stiff 1800€.

• Like 1