Jubblies

Winter battery storage.

What's the idea storage for lead acid batteries. Heated on a trickle charger? I don't have a garage or basement but I want to do my best to keep the new batteries I bought this year around a little longer than the past ones.

A float charger - the new stuff is pretty good and it's cheap too.

I monitor mine with a multi-meter periodically.

Charge them fully, disconnect the battery cables, and don't worry about it unless the temperature drops below -20F.

With self discharge rates of a few percent a week, I wouldn't advise ignoring batteries for the winter. At the same time, I wouldn't obsess about them either. Perhaps an overnight charge every 6-8 weeks. Whether they're left in the boat or not isn't much of a concern unless the temperatures are likely to go well below freezing. If a heater is easy, it can't hurt.

8 minutes ago, Moonduster said:

With self discharge rates of a few percent a week, I wouldn't advise ignoring batteries for the winter. At the same time, I wouldn't obsess about them either. Perhaps an overnight charge every 6-8 weeks. Whether they're left in the boat or not isn't much of a concern unless the temperatures are likely to go well below freezing. If a heater is easy, it can't hurt.

A few percent a week is high, especially for a newer battery. The figure I've always worked with and has been borne out by experience is about 5% per month. 

Great. Now, with all your personal research taken into account, even at 5% per month at the end of a five month winter, you're looking at 77% charge, which is well into sulfation territory, which is the bane of lead acid batteries and gets to the heart of the question here. Leaving the batteries alone for a few months is not a great idea.

So what's your real point?  Oh, right, you didn't have one.

Glad to see you're as agreeable as ever, Moon. 

51 minutes ago, IStream said:

No shit. As he's grown older, now he needs glasses to look down that long, long nose.

I have to park a motorbike and a couple of cars in unheated garage space through long Rocky Mtn winters and find the .8A float tenders work fine.  Just be sure to get the “smart” tenders that will throttle back automatically when its fully charged.   The other ones will risk eventually overcharging the battery.   The small ones meant for ATV’s and bikes are fine for maintenance charging on big batteries.  C$37 at Crap Tire. 

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:
3 hours ago, IStream said:

No shit. As he's grown older, now he needs glasses to look down that long, long nose.

Why aren't youse guys ignoring him?

Most people do.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Why aren't youse guys ignoring him?

Most people do.

At one point I had a dozen people on ignore but after a while I decided to delete my ignore list and see if anyone had gotten better. Turns out about half of them had been flicked and of the remaining  six, three have ended back on the list.

I suppose I'm trying to restore my faith in humanity a bit. At 50:50, I guess it's going slightly better than expected.

13 hours ago, IStream said:

At one point I had a dozen people on ignore but after a while I decided to delete my ignore list and see if anyone had gotten better. Turns out about half of them had been flicked and of the remaining  six, three have ended back on the list.

I suppose I'm trying to restore my faith in humanity a bit. At 50:50, I guess it's going slightly better than expected.

Correction: 66:33. Back to expected.

Some times the wisdom comes with a bit of bitter to make it memorable, we value that which we pay for. 

Sometimes the bitter is all that there is. 

I'm willing to ignore the bitter and appreciate the wisdom and even simple different points of view. God knows I have my share of biases, personal prejudices and ritual behaviors that I'd have a hard time justifying, but am willing to resort to and occasionally share. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IStream said:

I’m still waiting for my warning points to show up. 

On 11/9/2019 at 11:56 AM, Jubblies said:

What's the idea storage for lead acid batteries. Heated on a trickle charger? I don't have a garage or basement but I want to do my best to keep the new batteries I bought this year around a little longer than the past ones.

Read this.

I typically just put the trickle chargers on and leave them for the winter.  No?

2 hours ago, DFG said:

I typically just put the trickle chargers on and leave them for the winter.  No?

There's a difference between a float charger and a trickle charger. The floaters are smart and "read" the state of charge while the old trickle chargers produce a continuous low charge rate - they can dry a battery over time.

Personally I don't like leaving any electrical device running unattended on my boat.

• Like 1

I'm looking for a solar trickle charger. Boat is on stands 40 miles away and I don't have access to power when I'm not there. Anyone have experience and/ or a better idea?

I get mine (3 agm gp 31) charged up with solar panels in the fall after hauling.  The cover blocks the panels and I never bothered making attachments to the canvas cover to keep them out all winter.   Once cover comes off in April the panels go back on.   Rarely use much battery in between and if I do I'll charge for a day on the multi-bank charger.  Maybe once.

I've had the same batteries since about 2008.

YMMV

--Kevin

Charge fully, disconnect from boat and fogettabout. You get what you pay for though. My Lifelines just finished their 9th season and are set for their 10th Canadian winter of in boat (outdoor cradle) hibernation. So far I've yet to demonstrate the get up and go to visit the boat mid-winter for a top up  charge.(Which would be ideal in an ideal world)

As a total aside...and since this is gear anarchy...I like to keep the boat in the water as long as possible. Just got hit by a flash freeze where Tuesday night will go to C -15 and the boat is not winterized yet. Ouch? Not so fast. Just dropped a cloud based control Dyson heater in the cabin. Temp currently reading(on my phone) 9 degrees in the cabin and engine bay left open to salon. Confirmed via remote camera on a separate 10 dollar thermometer. Now the HotCool/Wifi heater cost a whole lot more than 10 bucks, but for anyone that has their boat in a marina with wifi that might want remote control over the cabin climate(I.e. Turn it on for the night off for the day without having to visit the boat)/or work space this is a spectacular piece of gear, and I would imagine a lot less cost than any marine based remote ship monitoring systems. 

If the up thread quote of a few % a week, even at C-10/C-20, had any basis in reality,  my batteries would've crapped out years ago. 

This might prove useful: https://marinehowto.com/winter-battery-storage-self-discharge-characteristics/

edit: Ryley I just noticed you provided the same link

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, WoobaGooba said:

Small Genasun charge controller

I hadn't looked at the specs for those (here). They look really good to me, though the default profile may not be ideal for VRLAs. I like that they have made a serous effort to reduce quiescent power. That should reduce the risks to the battery if the solar panel(s) go down for some reason. I also like that it looks like they just do the controller work without any added cruft. Still, if you can disconnect the batteries, the marinehowto advise looks like the lowest risk and lowest cost option.

I have been messing around with charge controllers and just got around to looking at the manual for the Yuasa AGM I've been using for testing.

:blink:

Things that stood out to me relevant to this discussion were their recommendation to top charge batteries after storage and their notes on recovery charging after a deep discharge. I don't believe most smart chargers will follow those protocols.

http://gsyuasa-es.com/Downloads/NP_Application_manual.pdf

image.png.fc9e7d0d5493436bbb0912a00a482371.png