Sign in to follow this  
Skid51

Shipping price check in aisle North Atlantic

With continued weakened Euro and GBP vs USD and especially CAD I note from asking prices on online brokerages there can be quite a price discount for used, euro-built boats in N. Europe vs the N.American market.    At least in the 27-33 footer range (where my interest lies) this includes price points from J/92S’, to Seascape 27’s, right up to relatively recent build XP-33’s, maybe some SunFast 3200’s too.   Going a little bigger, even the later J/109’s of J-Composite origin can be a good discount to the earlier US-builds typically found over here.  

Is this a worthwhile arb opportunity, especially for more recent, higher price, quality boats like the XP we don’t see much of on the market in NAM?  FYI CETA gives zero duty on Euro boats coming direct into Canada (i.e. can’t have been previously “consumed” into the US). 

So rough-rough, what’s all-in shipping cost N.Europe to the PNW for a 32-36 footer on a cradle?  Or, for RORO trailerable boats like the Seacape or J/92S, just to the east coast? (would probably get it myself from east to west coast, over time and some regatta stops!). 

I can't believe it would be worthwhile. Shipping costs would be roughly equal to price of the boat.

Is that all? Including a cradle, customs brokerage fees, longshoreman fees to get it off the dock, etc? Note he wants Vancouver. That's a much longer trip. 

I found closer to US  $18K for a 40fter  - Europe to US east coast. about 2 years ago

that included everything in between delivering the boat to the location where it would be loaded, to picking the boat up after it was unloaded. that included insurance provided by the shipper.., as a normal owners policy won't generally cover shipping.

one thing I learned is that the prices are pretty variable depending on how busy they are. they want you to reserve well ahead, but if you are not on a schedule, and can be ready at the last minute you might get a good deal.

in this case, the boat was going to be loaded/unloaded by crane from the water, so i would have brought the boat along side at the loading spot, and been ready to hop on board after they unloaded it on the other side.

And if it goes on a container ship, they likely charge by how many containers you displace. i.e. >20' = 2 x 20' containers long. >8' = 2 containers wide.

So a small 27' might be charged near as much as a 40', especially if you have a mast overhanging etc.

the quote i referred to above was from a yacht transport company - they were only going to have yachts on the ship.

i think the quote was from Sevenstar - their transports have cranes on board to load and unload.

I think my hypothesis that originated this thread (i.e. that there is transport-adjusted value arb between  Europe and NAM in used sailing yachts) is more often than not unsupported.   Given what the helpful responses above have laid out as costs (as well as some PM's received) it probably takes a unicorn set of facts like a trailerable (or at least truckable) boat, a discounted LOLO or RORO (i.e. not container) ship opportunity, target boat being VAT unpaid (i.e. owner not trying to recoup their VAT cost), and a relatively higher cost (newer, bigger) boat to make the economics work.   

Could say an XP-33 hit this sweet spot? ... 9500lbs and 10.5' beam should be easily permit truckable,  there's some VAT unpaid boats that come up and asking price delta can be U$40-50k between US and Europe.   Anybody able to roughly quote commercial haul coast to coast (which I'd have to pay anyway if buying an east coast boat)?

Oddly a bigger boat doesn't necessarily have better economics: a quick check of XP-38's (common enough both sides of the pond) showed just ~U$25k delta in average asking prices.    

Maybe a lower cost bracket like J/92S or SS27 _can_ work to bring in from Europe if its on the owner's dedicated road trailer for easy transport and loading logistics at either end and one just gets it dropped on the east coast and self-drives from there.   However, I've heard from a few people that licencing Euro trailers in NAM is not straightforward.  

Overall, the boat screening diligence, transport logistics and paperwork hassles also make me think there needs to be a pretty material savings to do this one-off.. at least the cost of a full suit of 3Di would be a way to think of it.  

Stop dreaming.  Report back to us here after you've made the first deal.  Some of us will tell you that 'we told you so'....  

oh, and keep track of ALL of your costs... lessee here, airfare and accommodations across the pond to buy, survey, prep for shipping--check

return, travel to port of entry, more accommodations (cuz the ship got delayed) --check

maybe delivery crew from ship/dock side to marina, or truck transport- check

import and agent fees, check

IF you come out ahead 'on paper' it's not likely to be a good way to make a living but, hey, maybe this is all fun stuff for you...