The Dark Knight

Aussie/Kiwi ocean and club racers

On 12/13/2019 at 9:15 PM, Bill E Goat said:

Sydney Yachts had a great ability to recycle moulds, BH36, Sports 36 and 36cr all the same, Syd 38 39cr as well

Syd 38 was the Syd 40 mould with a fence across the back IIRC

And the wheels and the interior moulding so good luck to them

any builder that turns out 63 38 footers in the early 2000s was doing great things

46 minutes ago, lydia said:

And the wheels and the interior moulding so good luck to them

any builder that turns out 63 38 footers in the early 2000s was doing great things

I don't know about the wheel on this 36

5.jpg 

This BH36 sold less than a year ago and is back on the market at just under 60k

Looks like it has checkstays. I guess it could become a good racer but needs a full set of sails

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/murray-burns-dovell-bashford-howison-sydney-36-great-presentation-value-for-money/219429

0_4.jpg

10_4.jpg

a better helming solution than the S36 above

15_4.jpg

Given that the new owner bought a full batten dacron cross cut main, I suspect that they may not have really known what they were getting into.

based on it's sisters ship performance, Whistler, it could make a good racer, but a lot of money needs to be spent first.

Swept back spreaders, chainplates, rigging, a full race sail wardrobe, rename and remove graphics...

4 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Given that the new owner bought a full batten dacron cross cut main, I suspect that they may not have really known what they were getting into.

based on it's sisters ship performance, Whistler, it could make a good racer, but a lot of money needs to be spent first.

Swept back spreaders, chainplates, rigging, a full race sail wardrobe, rename and remove graphics...

It’s a masthead rig

All BH 36’s have an in-line MH rig (think J 35) The Sydney 36 was fractional. Why would you want to change to sweptback - the rig is bullet proof? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

hence the checkstays and no runners....

Yeah, I know... I don’t really get why you would need to change the rig and chain plates to make it competitive?

On 12/15/2019 at 9:52 AM, The Dark Knight said:

I don't know about the wheel on this 36

5.jpg 

Now hoppy, 

there is no problem with having a wheel on the 36 the bigger problem is having the enclosed transom. 

I sail on a 36 out of Brisbane and it’s a great boat. It was just uncomfortable having a hey diddle diddle off the back with the life lines at knee level if you know what I mean in a seaway. 

Pulpit 

10 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Hoppy,

I  can help you out with a Sydney 36 tin rig with swept back spreaders and rigging. I have a rig that I own from a 36 ready to go and the rigging is still in date. It’s the 7/8’s rig and I can arrange to get it to you if you need ? 

Just to help get you into a new boat mate. I may even be able to help you get a few second hand assy’s as well. 

Pulpit

p.s are you around over the Christmas holidays ? If so let’s have a drink or 2 

Pulpit

1 hour ago, pulpit said:

Hoppy,

I  can help you out with a Sydney 36 tin rig with swept back spreaders and rigging. I have a rig that I own from a 36 ready to go and the rigging is still in date. It’s the 7/8’s rig and I can arrange to get it to you if you need ? 

Just to help get you into a new boat mate. I may even be able to help you get a few second hand assy’s as well. 

Pulpit

p.s are you around over the Christmas holidays ? If so let’s have a drink or 2 

Pulpit

Do you have an electric shitter as well?

Stuck in Melbourne, so a drink sounds good ;)

2 hours ago, Doh ! said:

All BH 36’s have an in-line MH rig (think J 35) The Sydney 36 was fractional. Why would you want to change to sweptback - the rig is bullet proof? 

1 hour ago, Red Centre said:

Yeah, I know... I don’t really get why you would need to change the rig and chain plates to make it competitive?

no particular reason, MH just seems old fashioned and because Whistler is rigged that way

28_4-4K.jpg

1 hour ago, pulpit said:

Now hoppy, 

there is no problem with having a wheel on the 36 the bigger problem is having the enclosed transom. 

I sail on a 36 out of Brisbane and it’s a great boat. It was just uncomfortable having a hey diddle diddle off the back with the life lines at knee level if you know what I mean in a seaway. 

Pulpit 

The 36CR has a better arse setup

FIZF2O3LGMT4ZXUERSED6BKRXU.jpg

Anyone know if the Bull 9000 meets the minimum stability requirements for cat 2?

Certainly looks to be a fun club racer and offshore is probably easier on the crew than a mumm 30

19 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

They aren’t 80k tho. 

1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

Do you have an electric shitter as well?

Stuck in Melbourne, so a drink sounds good ;)

I can find you one at the right price !,!!!,,

Ill message you in a few days and see what we can come up with about a drink. 

Pulpit 

9 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

This isn't the 80k thread now ;)

Buy a Syd38 & live happily ever after in that case. 

Problem is the stern twists offshore, Amante did a lot of structural work to fix it on their boat.

1 hour ago, Zeusproject said:

68D6D210-B979-4C5D-AD47-CFBB35A31B14.thumb.jpeg.6813220be91fa22d11492406e078255b.jpegFor sale 

Buy an add - I thought this boat is an inshore racing boat and not for offshore use?

On 12/10/2019 at 2:13 AM, Chucky said:

New Sail drive, new prob, Instruments, new halyards, sheets, head foil, new rigging, new batteries, new electrical wiring, new safety equipment, new turning blocks, new shackles, 12 months hardstand or shed time..etc. This boat is worth $1 plus a surveyors report.....

Leave it a little longer and they’ll pay to have it taken away. :P

5 hours ago, Little Wood Boats said:

What is the deal with the electric shitter?

Maybe it is just a joke and I missed it.

You did.

6 hours ago, Zeusproject said:

68D6D210-B979-4C5D-AD47-CFBB35A31B14.thumb.jpeg.6813220be91fa22d11492406e078255b.jpegFor sale 

Oh dear, the Thommo knock-off T-980-Mod. It seems to have been for sale for quite a while now. 

With Fehs's Shaw 11m Akatea just shipped across to commence racing in NZ, Smoothie also on the market and with her price plummeting like a brides knickers and all the Melgi 32s now gone it looks like the mildly interesting Super 11 concept is pretty much dead in the water. Shame, it showed potential for some interesting racing.

Are you actually going to buy one of these at any stage?:)

• Like 1

Rumours of a deceased estate sale of a rtizy stinkboat circulating social media. 

Pest inspection is the purchasers responsibility. 

polar-bear-63866.thumb.jpg.3147b3b0009091426e8915c8749d4541.jpg

Those of you from Melbourne have probably seen the big black boat, Lago, that has been moored behind the St Kilda break water for 20 or 30 years.

I heard it is for sale for $1 

Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 00.16.34.png

37 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Those of you from Melbourne have probably seen the big black boat, Lago, that has been moored behind the St Kilda break water for 20 or 30 years.

How many times has it beached itself?

Electric shitter?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

39 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

Electric shitter?

I bet it has some nice interior that the boss would like and I here it rates very well so a great race Boat for hoppy. 

Pulpit

Largo was the escape Armageddon boat 30 years ago would go sailing for a few months up the coast,return,reprovision, weld up the entrance and be ready to go when it all went wrong.  Have not seen it move for the last 20 years, so the cans of corned beef might need replacement.

2 hours ago, yacht said:

Largo was the escape Armageddon boat 30 years ago would go sailing for a few months up the coast,return,reprovision, weld up the entrance and be ready to go when it all went wrong.  Have not seen it move for the last 20 years, so the cans of corned beef might need replacement.

Seriously?!?

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Seriously?!?

Yep, heard the Armageddon escape and weld shut doors story.

I also heard that when they transported the boat from the yard to the launching place, they welded axel(s) onto the hull to tow it.

12 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Yep, heard the Armageddon escape and weld shut doors story.

I also heard that when they transported the boat from the yard to the launching place, they welded axel(s) onto the hull to tow it.

That’s hilarious in an awesome way!  It’s good to know we Americans aren’t the only ones with full on lunatics!

12 m 2015 BakewellWhite hull $150k NZ

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-2454051082.htm?rsqid=c14ef2af12174ffbb9be9481c148af15-002

Hull includes- rudder tube/prod tube boarding ladder and skin fittings Deck includes- Hatches/mooring cleats and anchor well Interior includes- 39hp Yanmar/saildrive/house and start batteries large capacity alternator/high performance regulator/squabs/toilet/ holding tank/pressure system/hot water cylinder/basin and sink taps/shower/fridge. Prepared to leave carbon stocked rudder with bearings and tiller and keel and bulb for extra 48000-00

image.png.28f4a92cfa74173f043d9e47f6356bf0.png

Maybe you can buy a cheap Farr 40 for the rig and other gear

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/farr-40-od/233597

1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

Well that didn't last long. Although they probably bought her for nothing after the write off. Wonder how much they spend putting the keel back in the right place. Could stand to make a nice profit?

2 hours ago, kawalski said:

Well that didn't last long. Although they probably bought her for nothing after the write off. Wonder how much they spend putting the keel back in the right place. Could stand to make a nice profit?

what's the story?

2 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

what's the story?

Ex- Dekadence Brisbane boat which had an issue of too much boat, not enough water. Keel went a bit wobbly.

9 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-2470997443.htm

Or... the mighty Prowler is back on the market. I looked after her for a piece when Joe bought her to Sydney back in the late 90’s and she’s still one of my favourites.

Built in a shed by Joe and many helpers with guidance from a Kiwi boat builder

I learnt a lot during the build but didn’t ever sail on Prowler

Ker 40 for sale - as is where is- make an offer.

Too soon?

2 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Too soon?

Never too soon, If you can find it go for it :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rushman said:

Built in a shed by Joe and many helpers with guidance from a Kiwi boat builder

I learnt a lot during the build but didn’t ever sail on Prowler

Good boat that. Surprised she hasnt been fitted with a bowsprit yet

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Too soon?

Will new owners need to consult, James Cameron, or are the co-ordinates already known?

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Too soon?

Surprised they didn't leave an epirb attached

15 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Yep, Just a project to do the 75th Hobart. Awesome boat though........ for a mono.

Going back to sailing the cat as soon as possible.

We did Ok in the Hobart though considering the conditions do not suit the boat at all, 3rd in division(only 15min from first) and around 30min behind the Cookson 50s and slower tps over the line. Top speed of 21.8 and had a 10 min average of 16 in 30kn.

Coming back from Hobart we had 3 kids on board and a couple of adults sailing downwind in 30 to 40kn with a reefed main absolutely no problem at all under auto pilot while other bigger boats near us were all over the place.

Boat is super strong and stable now.(we actually rebuilt the whole hull structure around the keel and tied it all into the grid properly)

We wont make much money out of it though, bloody expensive this yacht racing.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Good boat that. Surprised she hasnt been fitted with a bowsprit yet

Last spotted on the piles at Westhaven, Auckland.

The owner’s son was using it rarely... mainly to impress the ladies from the dating sites B)

21 minutes ago, Rushman said:

Last spotted on the piles at Westhaven, Auckland.

The owner’s son was using it rarely... mainly to impress the ladies from the dating sites B)

Well a boats only real purpose is to bring its owner happiness. Hopefully the son is have plenty of happy endings.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Might'a had other priorities...like survival.  I understand the insurers weren't planning to go look for it.

20 hours ago, kawalski said:

There are a few of these DK46s on the market. I believe most if them do have a keel flange cracking issue, could have been just the flexing in the recess with the haul. There was the one from Sydney and the old Extesea on the market but not sure if they were sold. 

22 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

12 m 2015 BakewellWhite hull $150k NZ

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-2454051082.htm?rsqid=c14ef2af12174ffbb9be9481c148af15-002

Hull includes- rudder tube/prod tube boarding ladder and skin fittings Deck includes- Hatches/mooring cleats and anchor well Interior includes- 39hp Yanmar/saildrive/house and start batteries large capacity alternator/high performance regulator/squabs/toilet/ holding tank/pressure system/hot water cylinder/basin and sink taps/shower/fridge. Prepared to leave carbon stocked rudder with bearings and tiller and keel and bulb for extra 48000-00

image.png.28f4a92cfa74173f043d9e47f6356bf0.png

Maybe you can buy a cheap Farr 40 for the rig and other gear

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/farr-40-od/233597

Tell the owner they are dreaming as the cost to it the boat out is hundreds of thousands. Why would you do this to such a nice boat unless it’s was a dog.....

1 hour ago, Chucky said:

Tell the owner they are dreaming as the cost to it the boat out is hundreds of thousands. Why would you do this to such a nice boat unless it’s was a dog.....

Supposedly the owner is building a more cruising boat.

It's a Bakwell-White and it looks like it could be a Z39. Sportscar sold a Z39 which was listed for under 200k

https://www.38southboatsales.com.au/listing/2004-bakewell-white-z-39

It will probably be listed for quite a while.

11 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Doesn't sound like it was high on the list of priorities when they were getting off.

We just enjoyed 2 weeks cruising great batrier island with 3 kids in our 80k 1980s wooden 4kt shitbox. Pretty good consdering that we managed to smash a Kerr 40, welborne 42 wedgetail and many others on line in the coastal, beat clockwork (ex general lee) to white island and generally hand out a hiding to anything else our size.

The motorboat (ex squealer ex butcher) was a great buy. Does everything we need it to.

And now the prep for the Round North island 2 handed continues. 40 boats on the start line next month.

FB_IMG_1578683487830.jpg

FB_IMG_1578683501337.jpg

FB_IMG_1578683473596.jpg

FB_IMG_1578683451698.jpg

Screenshot_20191212-230050.png

• Like 7

3 hours ago, BooBoo said:

We just enjoyed 2 weeks cruising great batrier island with 3 kids in our 80k 1980s wooden 4kt shitbox. Pretty good consdering that we managed to smash a Kerr 40, welborne 42 wedgetail and many others on line in the coastal, beat clockwork (ex general lee) to white island and generally hand out a hiding to anything else our size.

The motorboat (ex squealer ex butcher) was a great buy. Does everything we need it to.

And now the prep for the Round North island 2 handed continues. 40 boats on the start line next month.

FB_IMG_1578683487830.jpg

FB_IMG_1578683501337.jpg

FB_IMG_1578683473596.jpg

FB_IMG_1578683451698.jpg

Screenshot_20191212-230050.png

Great anchor-roller!

I'm glad she's in good hands (which is clearly the reason for her performance!) - If she'd come to Aus she'd probably just be giving the owner fun somewhere mid fleet. 

Greg Elliott sure designed some fast, versatile, attractive boats... I love my E7, just wish she had a bit more righting moment when I single hand her... one of these days I'll get her a big sister! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BooBoo said:

Are you going to bring your old wooden boat over for the inaugural 2-h S2H ? and then go home in the S2A?

On 1/10/2020 at 10:50 AM, bushsailor said:

Yep, Just a project to do the 75th Hobart. Awesome boat though........ for a mono.

We did Ok in the Hobart though considering the conditions do not suit the boat at all, 3rd in division(only 15min from first) and around 30min behind the Cookson 50s and slower tps over the line. Top speed of 21.8 and had a 10 min average of 16 in 30kn.

Coming back from Hobart we had 3 kids on board and a couple of adults sailing downwind in 30 to 40kn with a reefed main absolutely no problem at all under auto pilot while other bigger boats near us were all over the place.

Boat is super strong and stable now.(we actually rebuilt the whole hull structure around the keel and tied it all into the grid properly)

Yeah but those 50 footers were parked at Tasman Island for 8-10 hours watching the fleet sail up and around them, the race for them started again half way across Storm Bay.

1 hour ago, TUBBY said:

Bloody facts again!

It's like the Germans bombing Pearl Harbour all over again!!

On 1/10/2020 at 10:50 AM, bushsailor said:

Get a grip of reality

must be something in the water in Qld that suspends it

Using that logic you also only put one hour a day on the first two Sydney 38s  for instance who finished three hour behind you

or where the two Corel 45s finished

ffs

16 hours ago, lydia said:

Get a grip of reality

must be something in the water in Qld that suspends it

Using that logic you also only put one hour a day on the first two Sydney 38s  for instance who finished three hour behind you

or where the two Corel 45s finished

ffs

Lydia,

dont forget your best Hobart result is still a DNF... show some respect

ffs

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Well done for getting that boat down and back. Apologies

My comment was aimed at the assertion of finishing 30 minutes behind the Cookson 50 etc. when you are trying to sell the boat

And that is leaving alone the keel structure issue.

The rest we can deal with later.

18 hours ago, wntl said:

Lydia,

dont forget your best Hobart result is still a DNF... show some respect

ffs

18 posts in 14 years? It is good to get them out and give them some air every so often.

Image result for getting a sock out of the drawer

On 1/11/2020 at 12:09 PM, The Dark Knight said:

Are you going to bring your old wooden boat over for the inaugural 2-h S2H ? and then go home in the S2A?

Would love to but we just don't have the budget for a big campaign. Sponsorship is hard to get in NZ.