The Dark Knight

Aussie/Kiwi ocean and club racers

This just in...

Current Australian IRC Champion FOR SALE
$145,000aud

Beneteau 40.7
“Ocean Crusaders / Dodge Ball” is a proven IRC weapon around the cans as well as in the ocean.

This boat has racked up some impressive race results in the last few years and for anyone looking for an exceptional cruiser racing that brings home the bacon at an affordable budget this has to be hard to beat.
Consistent results:
2019 Australian IRC champion div 3
2019 Sydney to Hobart IRC 20th overall, 3rd in division and ORC 2nd in division.
2019 3rd overall Qld IRC championships
2019 1st IRC winter series RQYS
2018 1st IRC overall Qld Championships
2017 1st IRC in division BRISBANE to Kepple Race

This pocket rocket just keeps delivering it also a proven fishing and crabbing platform and will satisfy the whole family with all cruising benefits included:
Hot water system
Fridge freezer
Oven and cook top
Enclosed Shower and Head
Auto pilot
Anchor winch

I would say buy an ad but given the traffic that boat has generated on this site the Ed can be a bit generous

the rumble in rocky

the Catherine Mary / qld multi collison etc

it is a very special boat though in a whole lot of ways

On 11/23/2019 at 3:59 PM, The Dark Knight said:

been listed for a long time and now it's up for auction starting at $1. I'd do a $1 bid for a laugh, but I would not be laughing if I won...

0_4.jpg

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/volvo-60-auction-starts-on-ebay-tonight-610pm-23-11-2019/241031

On 11/23/2019 at 4:15 PM, Bill E Goat said:

I think a $1 is a $1 too much.  Maybe a bit of a grammer check on the ad would help

On 11/24/2019 at 9:07 AM, The Dark Knight said:

The auction for Aspen went live last night and there are already a few bids and the price is currently $5,105

The auction closes in about 9 hours at 18:10 AEDST

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Volvo-Whitbread-60-Sled-77ft-Maxi-Yacht-World-History-Sydney-Harbour-No-Reser/163957231635?hash=item262c9cd013:g:V0YAAOSwDYZd2IFl

On 11/24/2019 at 4:10 PM, The Dark Knight said:

11 bids, $10,000

On 11/24/2019 at 7:56 PM, Jason AUS said:

Well, that’s still comfortably under $80,000 then, isn’t it?

On the old djuice we had a vacuum head. The lid would seal, the system would pressurise as you pumped and all the bad shit got literally blown out of the boat. It’s not the much desired electric head, but it’d be $10k worth of value right there!

On 11/24/2019 at 9:34 PM, The Dark Knight said:

12 bids $10,100

Not sure if I misread the auction close time or if it has been changed, but it ends on Dec 3rd

On 12/1/2019 at 10:51 AM, The Dark Knight said:

Current bid $20,200. 47 bids so far. 2 days and 7 hours to go.

On 12/3/2019 at 6:11 PM, The Dark Knight said:

and the winner is........ after 60 bids

$30,288.88

Ass pen is back

AU $69,000 Expressions of interest

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/volvo-60/248193

1 hour ago, FinnFish said:

9_4.jpg

IKEA inspired fit out down below, what's not to like?

Another Whitsundays backpacker bang bus.

Someone made a similar comment last time it was listed. 

I wonder if the auction fell through or the buyer think they they will make a quick buck

4 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Someone made a similar comment last time it was listed. 

I wonder if the auction fell through or the buyer think they they will make a quick buck

That IKEA cabinet must be worth at least $8. Can't assess the value of the rug, definitely one for the surveyor.

0_4.jpg

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/murray-41-by-mcconaghy-boats/244816

2 hours ago, astro said:

So you don't want to shell out for advertising?

do you think I have a boat to sell????

2 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

do you think I have a boat to sell????

Looks to me like you get commish.

2 hours ago, DtM said:

I know you are just taunting me.

Nooooo

2 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

21_4.jpg

3 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

6_4.jpg

Just had a peep in PA, looks like the riot police will be in there soon. Better to post a bit here.

A new listing, Tripp 47

0_4.jpg

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/tripp-47/248202

19_4.jpg

17_2.jpg

1 hour ago, Bill E Goat said:

It has had plenty spent on it, not a bad buy for the price

I assume he is the same Tripp who designed the Columbia 34 caravan

We had Columbia 27 & 34 and I never liked sailing the 34.  I’m a bit biased against Tripp because of that.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBuN9KTQyt-crf87p1zUD

1 hour ago, Snowden said:

Pick of the bunch for me, quite a lot of fun for cheap assuming you can get the offshore certs you need - could go nicely with masthead A sails on a sprit.

Snowden,

The Mount Gay 30 is a great Boat the problem is you picked the wrong one. 

You don’t want the Scott Jutson one, The David Lyons Mount Gay is a far better design. 

Most of Jutsons boats are either pigs or Dogs. I only know of 2 of his designs that are any good and they were both designed by the builders and Scott did the engineering. They are the Seawind 1000 and the austral clubman 8. Intresting fact is Austral Yachts ended up owning the Justson Mount Gay moulds. They did tweak the design a little as well and it still didn’t sell that many. 

Pulpit

Prime Mover the 55’ open cat was pretty cool looking boat. 

Jutson’s designs are older though, IMS inspired so tippy. I’m sure a 2020 design would be up there with the best. 

Speaking off did Brindabella sell, if so are they going to race it? 

1 minute ago, pulpit said:

You don’t want the Scott Jutson one, The David Lyons Mount Gay is a far better design. 

Most of Jutsons boats are either pigs or Dogs. I only know of 2 of his designs that are any good and they were both designed by the builders and Scott did the engineering. They are the Seawind 1000 and the austral clubman 8. Intresting fact is Austral Yachts ended up owning the Justson Mount Gay moulds. They did tweak the design a little as well and it still didn’t sell that many. 

That's a shame - looked good on paper and reasonably easy on the eye (above the water at least)

38 minutes ago, Snowden said:

That's a shame - looked good on paper and reasonably easy on the eye (above the water at least)

This looked to be a pretty good Lyons Mount Gay 30 option but it sold recently.

I struggle to get motivated by Jutson designed boats. They never seem to be as good as their direct competitors.

On 11/20/2019 at 10:36 PM, The Dark Knight said:

Lyons Mount Gay 30 "Prion"

This seems to be a rather competitive boat down in Tassie. Has water ballast and has done a S2H

Prion is the CURRENT TASMANIAN STATE AMS CHAMPION (div 2)

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/mount-gay-30-lyons-design-brand-new-sails-huge-price-reduction/235723

image.thumb.png.a3f7458f2cf247e082bf0418dd570d9a.png

image.png.7a3240ad6c5db22c9836245c840137c5.png

image.thumb.png.0c850e4bfd2dacac36aa51e3de5c14a4.png

1 hour ago, pulpit said:

Snowden,

Pulpit

Those Northshore 369's look good, but it feels like you buy them if you value the cruisy interior more than speed and you can't afford a Sydney 38. That's my impression at least. 

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Prime Mover the 55’ open cat was pretty cool looking boat. 

Jutson’s designs are older though, IMS inspired so tippy. I’m sure a 2020 design would be up there with the best. 

Speaking off did Brindabella sell, if so are they going to race it? 

still listed

https://www.yoti.com.au/listing/jutson-80-brindabella

I'm looking forward to seeing the mods to XXX - the MG 30 from Lake Macquarie - definitely a different BOX rule ;-) 

Rumour is fact - a new rig set up with swept spreaders and new sailplan - winter mods will see its debut in Geelong, with several regattas including Airlie & Hammo on the books....expect much lunacy & laughter as this team plays as hard as they sail...good times my friends..good times!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Couta said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the mods to XXX - the MG 30 from Lake Macquarie - definitely a different BOX rule ;-) 

Rumour is fact - a new rig set up with swept spreaders and new sailplan - winter mods will see its debut in Geelong, with several regattas including Airlie & Hammo on the books....expect much lunacy & laughter as this team plays as hard as they sail...good times my friends..good times!

I just did a stupid thing and tried to google pictures of that boat.

”xxx mount gay”

:wacko:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

I just did a stupid thing and tried to google pictures of that boat.

”xxx mount gay”

:wacko:

Things you should never suggest to your Grandma to look up via Google:

1 Spit Roast

2  Facial

3  Mount Gay

Etc...

1 hour ago, Couta said:

Had a pleasant luncheon at the newly reopened SYC with the legends LR  and Recliner today and heard tales about the next BOX rule boat, also enlightened him about the new owner of the Lombard 34 already entered for the 2020 Great Race South which information he immediately passed on to the owner of said BOX rule boat, said information being received with a spirited "WTF is HE thinking?"  

The circle keeps on turning. BTW "Lunacy and Laughter" would look good on the T-shirts. Stay classy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Things you should never suggest to your Grandma to look up via Google:

1 Spit Roast

2  Facial

3  Mount Gay

Etc...

Mount Gay brings up the rum, add on Lyons or Jutson bring up their boats. Prion Mount Gay brings up that boat. Done all of those searches previously so I searched in brain off mode.

Had a pleasant luncheon at the newly reopened SYC with the legends LR  and Recliner today and heard tales about the next BOX rule boat, also enlightened him about the new owner of the Lombard 34 already entered for the 2020 Great Race South which information he immediately passed on to the owner of said BOX rule boat, said information being received with a spirited "WTF is HE thinking?"  

RP 63 to Lombard 34  is a pretty big change.

Rupert Henry has a better approach to 2h racing.

I bought a boat a few months back but haven’t had a chance to get the boys out for a race. You can check us out on our Team Page online, just search Blue Waffle. I renamed the boat after my passions, the deep blue & waffles. Let me know what you think. 

9 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I bought a boat a few months back but haven’t had a chance to get the boys out for a race. You can check us out on our Team Page online, just search Blue Waffle. I renamed the boat after my passions, the deep blue & waffles. Let me know what you think. 

I thought that was the name of Mrs Octopuses boat.

10 hours ago, SCANAS said:

You bastard. I’ve now got WeetBix all over my screen.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

You bastard. I’ve now got WeetBix all over my screen.

Always search "define: n" before "n" it hides the horrors behind urban dictionary

• Like 1

Hoppy, are you back in the market?

25 minutes ago, DtM said:

Hoppy, are you back in the market?

Yes, for a new kitchen.

IMG_8928.thumb.jpg.042f2cea390b5c4774c075b2fe4a768d.jpg

On 6/2/2020 at 4:51 PM, The Dark Knight said:

Just had a peep in PA, looks like the riot police will be in there soon. Better to post a bit here.

Stick a 1 burner meto stove on a milk crate in the corner, and a bucket under the tap,  & you can pretend you spent $800K on a race boat.

2 problems solved!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

Yes, for a new kitchen.

IMG_8928.thumb.jpg.042f2cea390b5c4774c075b2fe4a768d.jpg

Is that double brick or are you also in the market for a new wall too? 

2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Is that double brick or are you also in the market for a new wall too? 

double brick to outside and single for internal. The old wall has cement render whilst the 80's reno put plasterboard over instead. Off to Bunnings soon to get some replacement plasterboard.

The 80's reno was shit. The "new" part of the kitchen floor is a slab that was 15mm higher than the floor in the rest of the house. In the kitchen we had 3 sheets of masonite to level the floor and even then it was not even at the transition. So my isolation project started as chipping away the floor level but once that was finished we decided, fuck it and do the rest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

double brick to outside and single for internal. The old wall has cement render whilst the 80's reno put plasterboard over instead. Off to Bunnings soon to get some replacement plasterboard.

The 80's reno was shit. The "new" part of the kitchen floor is a slab that was 15mm higher than the floor in the rest of the house. In the kitchen we had 3 sheets of masonite to level the floor and even then it was not even at the transition. So my isolation project started as chipping away the floor level but once that was finished we decided, fuck it and do the rest. 

Take it to Renovation Anarchy...

• Like 1

..... Because this thread is so full of meaningful sailing content ;) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Is there a RA forum?

BTW got any racers you need listed here?

On 6/2/2020 at 7:54 PM, astro said:

Looks to me like you get commish.

3 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Given that I'm doing a DIY Ikea kitchen install, my reno posts may have relevance to potential buyers of Aspen.

On 6/2/2020 at 3:13 PM, FinnFish said:

9_4.jpg

IKEA inspired fit out down below, what's not to like?

Another Whitsundays backpacker bang bus.

I've been away for a while Hoppy. Delighted to note you haven't bought a boat yet ! Please don't...this thread is too good to lose

• Like 2

4 hours ago, armchairadmiral said:

I've been away for a while Hoppy. Delighted to note you haven't bought a boat yet ! Please don't...this thread is too good to lose

the other thread was better, but it go flicked with me. 

Somebody in Auckland should buy Smooth Criminal from Victoria and bring it over to join the awesome 35-40ft fleet. Looks like reasonable buying at the current asking price. Having done it recently shipping the boat over the ditch is pretty straight forward - so it could be here before winter racing ends.

1 hour ago, Techtoy said:

Somebody in Auckland should buy Smooth Criminal from Victoria and bring it over to join the awesome 35-40ft fleet. Looks like reasonable buying at the current asking price. Having done it recently shipping the boat over the ditch is pretty straight forward - so it could be here before winter racing ends.

or before it starts here

23 hours ago, Techtoy said:

Potentially a really quick boat but  you'll need to allow a little time to remove the  strange twin wheel arrangement and put a tiller back on it as per R Ps original design. Plus it  doesn't run masthead kites at all so you would probably want to sort that to get it on the pace with your Auckland fleet. Price of the boat has plummeted  recently but then the owners just signed up for their next ride on the weekend so they may be even more motivated now. Seller Anarchist 'Don' occasionally chimes in here.

• Like 1

Maybe a little smaller than the other options listed, but this boat would be one of the coolest options. It just completed the 2 Handed Round North Island Race too so maybe ticks the "ocean" box in the Ocean and Club Racer title......

I always thought this would be an awesome boat for Hamo and Airlie Beach. Has its own shipping cradle. It even has a chemical toilet!!!! Basically ready to go........

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2685617290

• Like 1

Hey Hoppy, that looks like a nice toilet even if it isn't electric!

Good to see that Spearo has your interests to the fore when he put up the photos.

4 hours ago, DtM said:

Hey Hoppy, that looks like a nice toilet even if it isn't electric!

Good to see that Spearo has your interests to the fore when he put up the photos.

No problem 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsJuuXAe2Vkbsuw0OcK52

On 7/5/2020 at 11:17 PM, Piewarmer said:

Maybe a little smaller than the other options listed, but this boat would be one of the coolest options. It just completed the 2 Handed Round North Island Race too so maybe ticks the "ocean" box in the Ocean and Club Racer title......

I always thought this would be an awesome boat for Hamo and Airlie Beach. Has its own shipping cradle. It even has a chemical toilet!!!! Basically ready to go........

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2685617290

What's the deal with those fixed outrigger style reaching struts up front? Not seen that design before.

Screenshot_20200805-152045.jpg

9 minutes ago, Essex said:

What's the deal with those fixed outrigger style reaching struts up front? Not seen that design before.

They're not reaching struts, their outriggers for the pole guy's, presumedly an articulating bowsprit.

Ah right thanks, I'd forgotten about articulating poles.

10 hours ago, Essex said:

Ah right thanks, I'd forgotten about articulating poles.

Long lightweight pole that folds away so you don’t pay for extra long berth.

On 8/5/2020 at 8:52 PM, The Dark Knight said:

No problem 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsJuuXAe2Vkbsuw0OcK52

Cheaper to buy a new electric toilet than the conversion.

1 hour ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

A long long time ago I looked at going electric and whilst a dedicated electric toilet worked better and is quieter, if the shit hits the fan and it dies, at least with the conversion unit, you can switch back to you backup manual pump. That was my thinking when I was a cruiser at least. 

On 12/1/2019 at 10:57 AM, The Dark Knight said:

Sydney 32 $86k - Each one listed seems to ask a higher price

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/sydney-yachts-32/241135

image.thumb.png.28a67354e2416d8ff862fd181b4faea2.png

This Sydney 32 is on the market again, for $75k. Covid recession victim perhaps?

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/sydney-yachts-32/250482

image.thumb.png.f549911a21a55fd0f554516be7598575.png

image.thumb.png.a18cbab9ed375b6b731e41d83c3ff3fe.png

On 6/3/2020 at 6:22 PM, Couta said:

I had the pleasure of doing the "Winter Ride" with Box...... My guts were hurting from laughing....

We did discuss this "Box" boat.....  Will him and Willo get to line...?  Will the race be on...?

Still good buying.....https://www.cronullasc.com/For-Sale

Willo & I are climbing the walls in covid frustration....even planned a pier-head jump & 3 day escape ion the X50 nto Bass Strait just to get out for a bit....fantasy..but ya gotta hava plan! Geelong? Probs not at this stage...but fingers crossed. Bottom line is that any chance of the 3 of us catching up WILL be taken... even if it's to sit around the legendary BOX smoker with a beer or a sail on the Lake...or a fish off Gump..

On 8/7/2020 at 4:58 PM, The Dark Knight said:

This Sydney 32 is on the market again, for $75k. Covid recession victim perhaps?

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/sydney-yachts-32/250482

image.thumb.png.f549911a21a55fd0f554516be7598575.png

image.thumb.png.a18cbab9ed375b6b731e41d83c3ff3fe.png

Looks like a lot of freeboard, for the money.

38 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Never seen that listed.

Perhaps the wife wants it sold but the owner only posted it on the club page in the hope he never gets an offer? 

Wrong and wrong..... other way round

3 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Wrong and wrong..... other way round

The owner wants it sold but their partner only posted it on the cub page in the hope they never get an offer?