The Dark Knight

Aussie/Kiwi ocean and club racers

1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

I'm still waiting to hear back from Sportscar as to whether it was my offer....

The laughter as they put down the phone was their answer :D:D:D:D

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

I'm still waiting to hear back from Sportscar as to whether it was my offer....

Don't ask me mate, I'm losing track of who's who. Unless you're the hot sounding Italian doctor? 

I'm having a terrible case of sellers remorse, am thinking of sabotaging the survey and making up a whole heap of nasty imaginative issues :)

54 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

I'm having a terrible case of sellers remorse, am thinking of sabotaging the survey and making up a whole heap of nasty imaginative issues :)

Hahaha been there, done that.

For the interim period where the current AS still exist...been swapping emails with this chap,

The ultralight version does not require a license, that'll be interesting. The normal version requires a PPL, so I've started my PPL again after quite a few years of neglect. 

VTOL,150mph, 15,000 ft ceiling. The 30 mins flight time is enough for stupid amounts of fun, but not real good for passage making..yet. 

And maintenance and service costs are cheaper than the boat...go figure.

Might go and look up the legal profession, need that court submission delivered muy pronto? 

SPEEDER-2.thumb.jpg.34266150fe521068a819d391ff83b73b.jpg

2 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Don't ask me mate, I'm losing track of who's who. Unless you're the hot sounding Italian doctor? 

Are you going to buy something cheaper mate to get out on the water? https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/farr-11-6/254185

On 11/22/2020 at 9:54 AM, Liquid Assett NZ said:

Hey all I purchased HA in Wgtn but of mission getting it here thru covid but it's getting a good birthday and look to get her out racing in the new year. Was a few soft bits in the cockpit and deck but being a wooden boat easy enough to sort

FB_IMG_1606002920420.jpg

FB_IMG_1606002952875.jpg

It still has that swivel chair a the nav station.

1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

For the interim period where the current AS still exist...been swapping emails with this chap,

The ultralight version does not require a license, that'll be interesting. The normal version requires a PPL, so I've started my PPL again after quite a few years of neglect. 

VTOL,150mph, 15,000 ft ceiling. The 30 mins flight time is enough for stupid amounts of fun, but not real good for passage making..yet. 

And maintenance and service costs are cheaper than the boat...go figure.

Might go and look up the legal profession, need that court submission delivered muy pronto? 

SPEEDER-2.thumb.jpg.34266150fe521068a819d391ff83b73b.jpg

Good luck with that

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/18/sport/jetman-dubai-death-scli-intl-spt/index.html

10 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Yep, such a horrifically higher risk than sailing.....

If we look at the research based on data from the US Coast Guard concerning sailing accidents between 2000 and 2011, we see that the 4,180 events recorded have caused 271 fatalities and 841 injuries in a population of sailors counting about 8 millions sailing people every year. 

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Are you going to buy something cheaper mate to get out on the water? https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/farr-11-6/254185

HI Scanas,

No, I like racing too much and whilst I might be naive I'm not completely stupid, my plan is to give it 5 years then come back and decide if the scum entrusted with our sport have been cleaned out enough to re-kindle my faith in humanity.

I like flying and motorcycles as well as boats and a good mate has asked me to assist in getting a new 7 second drag car down the strip without killing him, so that should keep me occupied enough for the next few years.

• Like 2

Hey LA - did you have Liquid Asset the 7m Williams? If so what happened to that?

For the old timers, long term lurkers, Liquid Asset was built by Nigel Rippey who also built Supergroove an 8m Dibley now in the UK.

5 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

SCANAS,

What makes you think that a older 38 footer is going to be cheaper to get you out on the water ? The running costs will still be about the same as the old Boat

If shaggy wants to keep sailing and have some fun he should look at a dinghy or sports boat or sail with on other owners boats. Personally I think shaggy needs to do a few bay to bays and alike and have some fun sailing again and forget the RQ and AS dickheads. 

Pulpit

• Like 3

That sucks Shaggy. I reckon plenty of fun behind the 40’s still. Could see you on nice a Farrier! 

Pulpit you could have a lot of fun in that 11.6 without having to buy 2-3 new sails every year. I don’t think any 11.6 owners are spending 20% of what the competitive Brisbane 40’s spend per year. 

57 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

That sucks Shaggy. I reckon plenty of fun behind the 40’s still. Could see you on nice a Farrier! 

Pulpit you could have a lot of fun in that 11.6 without having to buy 2-3 new sails every year. I don’t think any 11.6 owners are spending 20% of what the competitive Brisbane 40’s spend per year. 

or he could do like me....

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

or he could do like me....

tenor.gif

You can fix that. 

Hoppy, buy a damn electric toilet with a yacht attached.  Do it now.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jono said:

Hey LA - did you have Liquid Asset the 7m Williams? If so what happened to that?

For the old timers, long term lurkers, Liquid Asset was built by Nigel Rippey who also built Supergroove an 8m Dibley now in the UK.

Hey Jono

Yeah had Liquid asset a couple of boats ago gave it an almighty refit looks immaculate still. It's in Wellington at Evan's bay sailing every weekend. I'll dig out a photo. Had a huge amount of fun in that boat.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SCANAS said:

SCANAS, 

The 11.6’s are a great boat and you can have a heap of fun on them the only problem is you still end up playing with the same dickheads from RQ if you keep it in brisbane and you are still limited to were you can play due to time and draft constants of a Big boat. 

You also seem to have missed my point about of the running cost of a 11.6. Forget about the costs of new sails and just look at the basics of owning a boat of that size. You will spend $20k with out a problem just on the marina fees, yearly slipping, insurance and the basic running costs and that’s just for cruising, now do a few races and the costs just go up from there. 

Now if shaggy went the sports boat / multi hull option  for a few years he would be well ahead and still able to get a racing fix if he wanted it and  He would also be able to do a heap of races that he may not of done before. He would also be able to get away from the RQ dickheads as well if that was what he wanted to do. 

After all you can pick up a sports boat for around $20k and still do Airle beach race week with only taking 2 weeks off work and have a heap of fun for far less $$$ than owning a bigger boat. 

Pulpit

• Like 2

21 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

I like flying and motorcycles as well as boats and a good mate has asked me to assist in getting a new 7 second drag car down the strip without killing him, so that should keep me occupied enough for the next few years.

i drag race a bit. what kinda car?

16 hours ago, Liquid Assett NZ said:

Yeah I love it gave the nav station a bit of an upgrade

FB_IMG_1606211608798.jpg

I that the original GPS? When I inspected HA, the GPS would not start up and only the mast instruments worked. Nice setup.

1 hour ago, bigrpowr said:

i drag race a bit. what kinda car?

Hiya Bigrpowr,

It’s an altered running in pro alcohol bracket, US import with an injected 540 Keith Black big block. Really well set up for reliability and consistency, I’m very impressed with the level of detail that has been put into it. 
The last 6 months has been shed based testing due to Covid, our first run will be the license qualifier in January .

Im doing the telemetry and data analysis, brother dearest is turning the spanners.

will be interesting to see if it matches the hype, it’s a very low et for a no-blower setup. Some teenage chick in the US drove it to a 7.88 on its last pass , so am looking forward to it!

2 hours ago, pulpit said:

SCANAS, 

The 11.6’s are a great boat and you can have a heap of fun on them the only problem is you still end up playing with the same dickheads from RQ if you keep it in brisbane and you are still limited to were you can play due to time and draft constants of a Big boat. 

You also seem to have missed my point about of the running cost of a 11.6. Forget about the costs of new sails and just look at the basics of owning a boat of that size. You will spend $20k with out a problem just on the marina fees, yearly slipping, insurance and the basic running costs and that’s just for cruising, now do a few races and the costs just go up from there. 

Now if shaggy went the sports boat / multi hull option  for a few years he would be well ahead and still able to get a racing fix if he wanted it and  He would also be able to do a heap of races that he may not of done before. He would also be able to get away from the RQ dickheads as well if that was what he wanted to do. 

After all you can pick up a sports boat for around $20k and still do Airle beach race week with only taking 2 weeks off work and have a heap of fun for far less $$$ than owning a bigger boat. 

Pulpit

& Again I point out that your $ figure is 20% of what some of the 40’rs are spending which is who the Pogo was racing against. 

2 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Hiya Bigrpowr,

It’s an altered running in pro alcohol bracket, US import with an injected 540 Keith Black big block. Really well set up for reliability and consistency, I’m very impressed with the level of detail that has been put into it. 
The last 6 months has been shed based testing due to Covid, our first run will be the license qualifier in January .

Im doing the telemetry and data analysis, brother dearest is turning the spanners.

will be interesting to see if it matches the hype, it’s a very low et for a no-blower setup. Some teenage chick in the US drove it to a 7.88 on its last pass , so am looking forward to it!

that keith black stuff is nasty. altered is a scary design by nature, but power to weight is so good. i have a porsche 911 that ran 9.80's, should run 8.9-9.1 now, but i do drive it daily, even has child seats in the rear. have fun with that, what you are doing is a full team effort, and let safety be on your guys side.

5 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

I that the original GPS? When I inspected HA, the GPS would not start up and only the mast instruments worked. Nice setup.

Yep same unit just needed a factory reset. Works fine it used to get stuck on the start screen then would try restart was due to flat battery so was all working within 10 mins and a quick Google.

There were some old Nexus bulkhead instruments that were poked have managed to change them all out for no cost there were  a few banging around that some mates had that were brand new ended up getting everything working mint for free.the system and server were all working fine.

Gave this a birthday though

FB_IMG_1606288723791.jpg

5 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Did you look at Tassie Devil?

Had a look that had some serious issues looks like the guy has sorted it all now. Was actually cheaper to get HA and shipped and I think it's a better boat, bigger rig deeper keel etc.

It will get a keel upgrade in about 2 to 3 years and remove the keel box back to fixed keel. It originally had the Elliott jandal 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 2:20 PM, shaggybaxter said:

HI Scanas,

No, I like racing too much and whilst I might be naive I'm not completely stupid, my plan is to give it 5 years then come back and decide if the scum entrusted with our sport have been cleaned out enough to re-kindle my faith in humanity.

Not sure what condition your body's in Shaggy, but a two hour drive from you will give you great exciting racing with fun people who enjoy their sailing and try hard to win all at the same time. All for the tiniest fraction of the costs you're paying.

If its not in good condition now, it soon will be. And you probably won't be the oldest.

Sometimes just practicing can be half the fun  https://www.facebook.com/clare.coltman/videos/10160695408389546  (practicing blooper video)

Conversion training is provided free ( see https://www.facebook.com/SVs-Mr-Bond-The-Ballina-Skiff-Sail-Training-Group-110226546310465 ) B)

122835364_628356594497455_4260922742177953870_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=UB074VnIEFsAX_g89tE&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd7-1.fna&oh=09135495bcf214492c9ccf8358146f0e&oe=5FE5FF15

12 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

The Inglis 47 Dolce (ex Vendetta) is back up for sale for an eye watering $275k

I think it was in the low $100's when it was last listed

0_4.jpg

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/inglis-47/255177

Well, that Bimini is a new addition and absolutely justifies the $175k price increase.

Old mate must be smoking crack if he thinks the boat is worth that kind of coin. Or perhaps the drug habit is why he needs so much money...

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 8:30 PM, Jason AUS said:

Well, that Bimini is a new addition and absolutely justifies the $175k price increase.

Old mate must be smoking crack if he thinks the boat is worth that kind of coin. Or perhaps the drug habit is why he needs so much money...

It’s promoted as a S2H boat, but will it meet the stability requirements ? Quite a light ballast for the displacement - I guess it  passed for previous races.

7 hours ago, Third Reef said:

It’s promoted as a S2H boat, but will it meet the stability requirements ? Quite a light ballast for the displacement - I guess it  passed for previous races.

"Owner selling due to ill health" usually means he's already sick of the boat.

This boat has had more decks than any other yacht I know of. I remember her when the Cittadinis launched her as Vendetta back in '88 with a standard Jim Inglis designed cabin superstructure. That was later cut off and the whole deck re-modelled to became a flat-top flush-decked day racer, in my humble opinion her best iteration. She has since had a couple more deck and superstructure re-modellings until the deck mounted Condo we see before us today.

18 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

"Owner selling due to ill health" usually means he's already sick of the boat.

Maybe it's more sick of the sight of it.

The cabin top looks to have been designed by Stevie Wonder and the same for cockpit seat backs.

It looks whack, but I bet if you were sitting in the condo having a scotch & cheese when it was pissing down rain, you’d think it was money well spent. 

3 hours ago, SCANAS said:

It looks whack, but I bet if you were sitting in the condo having a scotch & cheese when it was pissing down rain, you’d think it was money well spent. 

Yeah, but for that price you could buy a faster, newer boat and an actual condo.

14 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

Yeah, but for that price you could buy a faster, newer boat and an actual condo.

Your time in WAcko isolation has really left you out of touch with reality.  

34 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

I’ll admit I didn’t look at the price. St Jude was only 330k asking. Inglis be 100-150k wouldn’t it? 

I’ll admit I didn’t look at the price. St Jude was only 330k asking. Inglis be 100-150k wouldn’t it? 

It was getting close to a 100k listing last time it sold. Or did it go off the market and add some canvas in the hope people would forget how unwanted it was?

6 hours ago, SCANAS said:

2 hours ago, darth reapius said:

SCANAS, 

The Inglis at $275k does sound over priced, the thing is it’s had a lot of work done to it and new sails etc I’m told so the boat is worth more than say the old “Wild Thing / Wild One” that Whorro owns. It sold for $90k ish I’m told and  it needs a major refit and has already had a bucket load spent on it.

So it’s the old thing of start high and you can always go lower, start low and it’s hard to go up in price.

I would of thought that the  Inglis 47 Dolce would be in the $150-200k mark if the refit has been done right and she is now a turn key boat with very little spend. Mind you it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay on the day it sells.

Pulpit

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Your time in WAcko isolation has really left you out of touch with reality.  

https://www.boatsalestas.com.au/sail-monohulls/inglis-58-racing-yacht-amazing-value/231434/

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-wa-wanneroo-130127390

Hey idiot.

There is a quicker, newer, bigger boat, $110k and a condo in the Greater Perth area $130k asking price for a grand total of $240k.

That's a whole $35k cheaper than the asking price of $275k for just the Inglis 47.

58 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

https://www.boatsalestas.com.au/sail-monohulls/inglis-58-racing-yacht-amazing-value/231434/

Hey idiot.

There is a quicker, newer, bigger boat, $110k and a condo in the Greater Perth area $130k asking price for a grand total of $240k.

That's a whole $35k cheaper than the asking price of $275k for just the Inglis 47.

Isn’t that the one that fell off the cradle  though? 

54 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

Hey idiot.

I'd rather Dulce than that shithole unit. What's the point of living in Perth if you are in the middle of nowhere

2 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Isn’t that the one that fell off the cradle  though? 

Yeah, then was re-fitted etc. Not the point, there is a tonne of other quick boats for WAY less than $275k.

3 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

I'd rather Dulce than that shithole unit. What's the point of living in Perth if you are in the middle of nowhere

Beats living in the shit-hole you live in.

Hows all the restrictions going? Hows your 2020 been? Pretty shit I hear, I mean you don't shut the fuck up about it. Ours has been fantastic.

2 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

and Darth was clearly dropped from his cradle as well.

Laughing kid Blank Template - Imgflip

Sounds like the idiot trying to make a joke after being proved completely wrong in 6 seconds. Plenty more places I can show you, and plenty more boats. But you don't care, you are just jealous about how good we have it, and how great our city is. How is the scene now in Melbourne? I hear all the small businesses went broke and everything is vacant. Or is it our gorgeous weather you are jealous about?

On 12/5/2020 at 9:03 AM, The Dark Knight said:

The Inglis 47 Dolce (ex Vendetta) is back up for sale for an eye watering $275k

I think it was in the low $100's when it was last listed

0_4.jpg

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/inglis-47/255177

Yes, an old timber race boat for 275 - is a 'yes i've listed the boat darling'

• Like 2

Alcatraz has just dropped off Trade Me. Sold or decided to go Christmas cruising? I read the Tazzy Devil E10.5 sold too. All go in NZ. Spearhead 1050 ex CYC and then modded in NZ listed with good gear at $150k.

1 hour ago, Next Level said:

Thoughts on a Sydney 40 vs S38?

there’s a few 38’s on the market and now a 40. 

I vaguely recall a discussion about that a few years ago when the S40 Mako was listed. It may have unfortunately in the deleted 80k thread. I think there was something like a stability issue and that is probably why the seller redid the keel????????  

On 12/17/2020 at 9:51 AM, The Dark Knight said:

I vaguely recall a discussion about that a few years ago when the S40 Mako was listed. It may have unfortunately in the deleted 80k thread. I think there was something like a stability issue and that is probably why the seller redid the keel????????  

Yeah, I vaguely remember that conversation too. Looking at the 40s results in recent races, 38s have beaten it across the line, on most occasions.

The Sunfast 3300 makes the 3200 and the 3600 obsolete ;) (so much cheaper right? oh wait boats :lol:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 42 South said:

Here's one for Hoppy that easily fits within his budget:-

ONLY $1.00!

So it has no deck or Interior, but if you tow it straight to the tip it comes with a brand new BBQ and an unused diesel motor?

That’s half tempting...

Hoppy start a Not for profit, buy an old TP52 and then set up a website to show the rebuild and beg for donations. 

• Like 3

On 11/24/2020 at 8:23 AM, shaggybaxter said:

Fuck I forgot! I left a 6 pack of Stella in the fridge. Can you renegotiate the price?

On 12/7/2020 at 2:47 PM, Fintho said:

Surely a boat like Yeah Baby ( https://www.raceyachts.com.au/our-yachts/hugh-welbourn-designed-yacht-for-sale/ ) is a much better deal. And cheaper! Crazy

There's an Inglis 47 down here that has just had a heap of work done..............

- Keel, mast and chainplates moved aft

- New spreaders, standing rigging and running rigging

- New Keel, keel box and rudder

- New bowsprit

- Full new deck gear setup with 8 winches

- All new sails except main, inc 0's and staysails

- New motor,, full resparay

Not what I would do with that boat but she's bloody beautiful now and the owner loves her, so I guess $$ spent locally is better than buying a boat from interstate or O/S.

Apparently goes a far bit better too :)

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 11:36 AM, The Dark Knight said:

and now it's gone....

The Edge has had a price drop down to $149,500

Maybe the owner should use his holidays to sail it to the east coast. Might sell quickly then.

0_3.jpg

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/jeanneau-sun-fast-3200/245205

2 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

@shaggybaxter is this Fusion in new drag?

134496427_248979246583944_69523026098074

133749016_248979209917281_41875596287937

Yep, that’s her, the color suits the new owner, bright and cheery :)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

How does it feel seeing her?

I could imagine that it might feel like seeing an ex after was putting more effort into her looks. (been there, suffered that) 

1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

How does it feel seeing her?

I could imagine that it might feel like seeing an ex after was putting more effort into her looks. (been there, suffered that) 

Not comparable. Shaggy picked it up straight from the plastic surgeons!!! Never going to look better than new with those unsoiled heads & that new boat smell....  :) 

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Not comparable. Shaggy picked it up straight from the plastic surgeons!!! Never going to look better than new with those unsoiled heads & that new boat smell....  :) 

But sometimes the new frock can get you

I agree with the unsoiled heads bit... 

The first reverse kanga I performed was responsible for $100,000 depreciation on its own. 

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

The first reverse kanga I performed was responsible for $100,000 depreciation on its own. 

Do Not Flush - Gone to get tape measure. Possible World Record?

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 8:24 PM, shaggybaxter said:

Hasn't dealt with AS yet then!

On 1/4/2021 at 5:58 PM, The Dark Knight said:

@shaggybaxter is this Fusion in new drag?

134496427_248979246583944_69523026098074

133749016_248979209917281_41875596287937

Not getting good starts at Sail paradise .... way off the line.... From Nic... (Adventures of a sailor girl) 

https://www.facebook.com/sailorgirlHQ/posts/250672163081319?comment_id=250679736413895&notif_id=1609978543464909&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif

3 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

And reefed?

Only in the last race... 20 knots at minimum .... I assume they are learning

4 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

I assume they are learning

Must be.

It was a bit windy today, POGO would have loved a full main. One dismasting. 

• Like 1