The Dark Knight

Aussie/Kiwi ocean and club racers

1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

I'm still waiting to hear back from Sportscar as to whether it was my offer....

The laughter as they put down the phone was their answer :D:D:D:D

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

I'm still waiting to hear back from Sportscar as to whether it was my offer....

Don't ask me mate, I'm losing track of who's who. Unless you're the hot sounding Italian doctor? 

I'm having a terrible case of sellers remorse, am thinking of sabotaging the survey and making up a whole heap of nasty imaginative issues :)

54 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

I'm having a terrible case of sellers remorse, am thinking of sabotaging the survey and making up a whole heap of nasty imaginative issues :)

Hahaha been there, done that.

For the interim period where the current AS still exist...been swapping emails with this chap,

The ultralight version does not require a license, that'll be interesting. The normal version requires a PPL, so I've started my PPL again after quite a few years of neglect. 

VTOL,150mph, 15,000 ft ceiling. The 30 mins flight time is enough for stupid amounts of fun, but not real good for passage making..yet. 

And maintenance and service costs are cheaper than the boat...go figure.

Might go and look up the legal profession, need that court submission delivered muy pronto? 

SPEEDER-2.thumb.jpg.34266150fe521068a819d391ff83b73b.jpg

2 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Don't ask me mate, I'm losing track of who's who. Unless you're the hot sounding Italian doctor? 

Are you going to buy something cheaper mate to get out on the water? https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/farr-11-6/254185

On 11/22/2020 at 9:54 AM, Liquid Assett NZ said:

Hey all I purchased HA in Wgtn but of mission getting it here thru covid but it's getting a good birthday and look to get her out racing in the new year. Was a few soft bits in the cockpit and deck but being a wooden boat easy enough to sort

FB_IMG_1606002920420.jpg

FB_IMG_1606002952875.jpg

It still has that swivel chair a the nav station.

1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

For the interim period where the current AS still exist...been swapping emails with this chap,

The ultralight version does not require a license, that'll be interesting. The normal version requires a PPL, so I've started my PPL again after quite a few years of neglect. 

VTOL,150mph, 15,000 ft ceiling. The 30 mins flight time is enough for stupid amounts of fun, but not real good for passage making..yet. 

And maintenance and service costs are cheaper than the boat...go figure.

Might go and look up the legal profession, need that court submission delivered muy pronto? 

SPEEDER-2.thumb.jpg.34266150fe521068a819d391ff83b73b.jpg

Good luck with that

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/18/sport/jetman-dubai-death-scli-intl-spt/index.html

10 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Yep, such a horrifically higher risk than sailing.....

If we look at the research based on data from the US Coast Guard concerning sailing accidents between 2000 and 2011, we see that the 4,180 events recorded have caused 271 fatalities and 841 injuries in a population of sailors counting about 8 millions sailing people every year. 

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Are you going to buy something cheaper mate to get out on the water? https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/farr-11-6/254185

HI Scanas,

No, I like racing too much and whilst I might be naive I'm not completely stupid, my plan is to give it 5 years then come back and decide if the scum entrusted with our sport have been cleaned out enough to re-kindle my faith in humanity.

I like flying and motorcycles as well as boats and a good mate has asked me to assist in getting a new 7 second drag car down the strip without killing him, so that should keep me occupied enough for the next few years.

• Like 2

Hey LA - did you have Liquid Asset the 7m Williams? If so what happened to that?

For the old timers, long term lurkers, Liquid Asset was built by Nigel Rippey who also built Supergroove an 8m Dibley now in the UK.

5 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

SCANAS,

What makes you think that a older 38 footer is going to be cheaper to get you out on the water ? The running costs will still be about the same as the old Boat

If shaggy wants to keep sailing and have some fun he should look at a dinghy or sports boat or sail with on other owners boats. Personally I think shaggy needs to do a few bay to bays and alike and have some fun sailing again and forget the RQ and AS dickheads. 

Pulpit

• Like 3

That sucks Shaggy. I reckon plenty of fun behind the 40’s still. Could see you on nice a Farrier! 

Pulpit you could have a lot of fun in that 11.6 without having to buy 2-3 new sails every year. I don’t think any 11.6 owners are spending 20% of what the competitive Brisbane 40’s spend per year. 

57 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

That sucks Shaggy. I reckon plenty of fun behind the 40’s still. Could see you on nice a Farrier! 

Pulpit you could have a lot of fun in that 11.6 without having to buy 2-3 new sails every year. I don’t think any 11.6 owners are spending 20% of what the competitive Brisbane 40’s spend per year. 

or he could do like me....

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

or he could do like me....

tenor.gif

You can fix that. 

Hoppy, buy a damn electric toilet with a yacht attached.  Do it now.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jono said:

Hey LA - did you have Liquid Asset the 7m Williams? If so what happened to that?

For the old timers, long term lurkers, Liquid Asset was built by Nigel Rippey who also built Supergroove an 8m Dibley now in the UK.

Hey Jono

Yeah had Liquid asset a couple of boats ago gave it an almighty refit looks immaculate still. It's in Wellington at Evan's bay sailing every weekend. I'll dig out a photo. Had a huge amount of fun in that boat.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, podrick said:

It still has that swivel chair a the nav station.

Yeah I love it gave the nav station a bit of an upgrade

FB_IMG_1606211608798.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SCANAS said:

SCANAS, 

The 11.6’s are a great boat and you can have a heap of fun on them the only problem is you still end up playing with the same dickheads from RQ if you keep it in brisbane and you are still limited to were you can play due to time and draft constants of a Big boat. 

You also seem to have missed my point about of the running cost of a 11.6. Forget about the costs of new sails and just look at the basics of owning a boat of that size. You will spend $20k with out a problem just on the marina fees, yearly slipping, insurance and the basic running costs and that’s just for cruising, now do a few races and the costs just go up from there. 

Now if shaggy went the sports boat / multi hull option  for a few years he would be well ahead and still able to get a racing fix if he wanted it and  He would also be able to do a heap of races that he may not of done before. He would also be able to get away from the RQ dickheads as well if that was what he wanted to do. 

After all you can pick up a sports boat for around $20k and still do Airle beach race week with only taking 2 weeks off work and have a heap of fun for far less $$$ than owning a bigger boat. 

Pulpit

• Like 2

21 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

I like flying and motorcycles as well as boats and a good mate has asked me to assist in getting a new 7 second drag car down the strip without killing him, so that should keep me occupied enough for the next few years.

i drag race a bit. what kinda car?

16 hours ago, Liquid Assett NZ said:

Yeah I love it gave the nav station a bit of an upgrade

FB_IMG_1606211608798.jpg

I that the original GPS? When I inspected HA, the GPS would not start up and only the mast instruments worked. Nice setup.

1 hour ago, bigrpowr said:

i drag race a bit. what kinda car?

Hiya Bigrpowr,

It’s an altered running in pro alcohol bracket, US import with an injected 540 Keith Black big block. Really well set up for reliability and consistency, I’m very impressed with the level of detail that has been put into it. 
The last 6 months has been shed based testing due to Covid, our first run will be the license qualifier in January .

Im doing the telemetry and data analysis, brother dearest is turning the spanners.

will be interesting to see if it matches the hype, it’s a very low et for a no-blower setup. Some teenage chick in the US drove it to a 7.88 on its last pass , so am looking forward to it!

2 hours ago, pulpit said:

SCANAS, 

The 11.6’s are a great boat and you can have a heap of fun on them the only problem is you still end up playing with the same dickheads from RQ if you keep it in brisbane and you are still limited to were you can play due to time and draft constants of a Big boat. 

You also seem to have missed my point about of the running cost of a 11.6. Forget about the costs of new sails and just look at the basics of owning a boat of that size. You will spend $20k with out a problem just on the marina fees, yearly slipping, insurance and the basic running costs and that’s just for cruising, now do a few races and the costs just go up from there. 

Now if shaggy went the sports boat / multi hull option  for a few years he would be well ahead and still able to get a racing fix if he wanted it and  He would also be able to do a heap of races that he may not of done before. He would also be able to get away from the RQ dickheads as well if that was what he wanted to do. 

After all you can pick up a sports boat for around $20k and still do Airle beach race week with only taking 2 weeks off work and have a heap of fun for far less $$$ than owning a bigger boat. 

Pulpit

& Again I point out that your $ figure is 20% of what some of the 40’rs are spending which is who the Pogo was racing against. 

2 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Hiya Bigrpowr,

It’s an altered running in pro alcohol bracket, US import with an injected 540 Keith Black big block. Really well set up for reliability and consistency, I’m very impressed with the level of detail that has been put into it. 
The last 6 months has been shed based testing due to Covid, our first run will be the license qualifier in January .

Im doing the telemetry and data analysis, brother dearest is turning the spanners.

will be interesting to see if it matches the hype, it’s a very low et for a no-blower setup. Some teenage chick in the US drove it to a 7.88 on its last pass , so am looking forward to it!

that keith black stuff is nasty. altered is a scary design by nature, but power to weight is so good. i have a porsche 911 that ran 9.80's, should run 8.9-9.1 now, but i do drive it daily, even has child seats in the rear. have fun with that, what you are doing is a full team effort, and let safety be on your guys side.

5 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

I that the original GPS? When I inspected HA, the GPS would not start up and only the mast instruments worked. Nice setup.

Yep same unit just needed a factory reset. Works fine it used to get stuck on the start screen then would try restart was due to flat battery so was all working within 10 mins and a quick Google.

There were some old Nexus bulkhead instruments that were poked have managed to change them all out for no cost there were  a few banging around that some mates had that were brand new ended up getting everything working mint for free.the system and server were all working fine.

Gave this a birthday though

FB_IMG_1606288723791.jpg

5 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Did you look at Tassie Devil?

Had a look that had some serious issues looks like the guy has sorted it all now. Was actually cheaper to get HA and shipped and I think it's a better boat, bigger rig deeper keel etc.

It will get a keel upgrade in about 2 to 3 years and remove the keel box back to fixed keel. It originally had the Elliott jandal 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 2:20 PM, shaggybaxter said:

HI Scanas,

No, I like racing too much and whilst I might be naive I'm not completely stupid, my plan is to give it 5 years then come back and decide if the scum entrusted with our sport have been cleaned out enough to re-kindle my faith in humanity.

Not sure what condition your body's in Shaggy, but a two hour drive from you will give you great exciting racing with fun people who enjoy their sailing and try hard to win all at the same time. All for the tiniest fraction of the costs you're paying.

If its not in good condition now, it soon will be. And you probably won't be the oldest.

Sometimes just practicing can be half the fun  https://www.facebook.com/clare.coltman/videos/10160695408389546  (practicing blooper video)

Conversion training is provided free ( see https://www.facebook.com/SVs-Mr-Bond-The-Ballina-Skiff-Sail-Training-Group-110226546310465 ) B)

122835364_628356594497455_4260922742177953870_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=UB074VnIEFsAX_g89tE&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd7-1.fna&oh=09135495bcf214492c9ccf8358146f0e&oe=5FE5FF15