robalex117

Can anybody from Auckland Comment on this VRBO for the Cup

You could do a lot worse. Looks like good value for money, especially with the sea view and building amenities.

About a 20 minute down hill walk to the Viaduct where the sailing and bar action is. Britomart is also good night life - around 15 min walk downhill to get there.

Close to cool formal (CBD) and informal restaurants (Upper Queen St and K Road    (Karangahape). View Metro top 50 restaurants . (sorry no link).

Close to bus routes - the outer link is good for around town and has a stop on Wellesley St and Symonds St near you. Also look for City link for getting down to the waterfront. Transport is half price if you by an AT Hop Card and better than ride sharing.

PM if needed

18 hours ago, Jono said:

You could do a lot worse. Looks like good value for money, especially with the sea view and building amenities.

About a 20 minute down hill walk to the Viaduct where the sailing and bar action is. Britomart is also good night life - around 15 min walk downhill to get there.

Close to cool formal (CBD) and informal restaurants (Upper Queen St and K Road    (Karangahape). View Metro top 50 restaurants . (sorry no link).

Close to bus routes - the outer link is good for around town and has a stop on Wellesley St and Symonds St near you. Also look for City link for getting down to the waterfront. Transport is half price if you by an AT Hop Card and better than ride sharing.

PM if needed

Thanks very helpfull.  

Going to fly into Auckland from USA landing Friday, 20 December 2020. Looking to get out on the water on the 20th or 21st. Willing to pay expenses plus liquid or hard currency for 1/2 day sail. Thinking a private boat would be preferable to a commercial operator, though I have read good things about Explore sailing. If anyone in the area has or knows a boat that would be interested, feel free to PM me.

Also, what are odds of seeing Team Emirates out practicing on those days?

Thanks.

55 minutes ago, SaberCat said:

Going to fly into Auckland from USA landing Friday, 20 December 2020. Looking to get out on the water on the 20th or 21st. Willing to pay expenses plus liquid or hard currency for 1/2 day sail. Thinking a private boat would be preferable to a commercial operator, though I have read good things about Explore sailing.

You might keep this guy in mind . .   http://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic/16771-cruising-crew-wanted/page-2

And do not fail to pay it forward - return the favors in spades

Contact the RNZYS before you arrive - they will probably be able to find you a boat to go out Rum Racing.  Start's at 4.30 so if you're at Westhaven by 4 you're good to go

What Wal said. He's done a few. Rum race = beer can twilight. It will probably be a Christmas themed one and party at the bar afterwards. Ignore the pay to play thread and take a 6 pack.

Recommend the Explore AC boats. A polished act. Plus not many people have experienced the power of these boats, and they sail them well. They may even be doing the rum race.

Except I had a thought ( most will laugh at that....)

I checked the Squaddy website.  Rum racing ends on the 13th Dec so unfortunately you're out of luck on that score

All racing will have stopped for the Christmas break  (pretty much everything stops for that.... oh except for roadworks on major transit routes.....)

Thanks AJ, wal' and Jono, appreciate the info. I messed up the date in post #5, we'll be in Auckland December 20th and 21st this year, not 2020. Looks like we'll go the Explore Group route. I've been on the AC boats in Newport and they are a blast.