basketcase

inexperienced couple buy a p.o.s. catamaran

42 minutes ago, Toecutter's Ghost said:

I have!...

image.png.4534103d8c55675d3eef8ccf813b6cef.png

image.png.690a1d82e88304a4a285a07c63f0ca9d.png

I think it's my natural charm that suckers them in. :)

The lady up the mast, looks a lot like my missus. Did I post this pic some time ago. The head sail cover is green on my boat and the mast is white. I do not recall the underside of the spreaders being that dirty. If the boat in the pic has two lower shrouds it is not mine.

15 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Apparently the prior owner removed the rutters to install the sugar scoops.  The current owners probably figure they can just use the outboard as a rutter while they are under sail.  I mean it worked while they were motoring right?

Is there some problem with that? What the hell do YOU know, it's worked great so far!

- DSK

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Unkle Krusty said:

The lady up the mast, looks a lot like my missus. Did I post this pic some time ago. The head sail cover is green on my boat and the mast is white. I do not recall the underside of the spreaders being that dirty. If the boat in the pic has two lower shrouds it is not mine.

The spreaders were dirty from sitting in the yard for a while. The missus went up there to re-tape the boots. Wimmen being wimmen however she got out the bucket, soap, water and sponge and give them spreaders a mighty fine cleanin' also....

35 minutes ago, Toecutter's Ghost said:

The spreaders were dirty from sitting in the yard for a while. The missus went up there to re-tape the boots. Wimmen being wimmen however she got out the bucket, soap, water and sponge and give them spreaders a mighty fine cleanin' also....

The correct spelling is womyn.

Sailing?  They don't need no stinking sailing.  What could possibly go wrong trying to get to Florida on that finely found catamaran?  The trusty 15hp kicker with the fine tiller extension will get them out far enough to get into real trouble.  I do have to admit Jess is a gamer on the boat projects.  Why don't they transfer the 50hp Merc. from the houseboat to the cat?  I love those old Mercurys, major howlers but not built for pushing a houseboat;  much better when you are using them at their top end to go FAST!

5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Is there some problem with that? What the hell do YOU know, it's worked great so far!

- DSK

I thought you watched the videos. Their goofy set-up resulted in limited control with a lag in response that barely worked under perfect conditions. Throw in some wind and seas, then add limited visibility and all we can do is pray that they have the camera turned on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I thought you watched the videos. Their goofy set-up resulted in limited control with a lag in response that barely worked under perfect conditions. Throw in some wind and seas, then add limited visibility and all we can do is pray that they have the camera turned on.

You’re assuming the engine will work long to get them in trouble. These guys had to row their houseboat from their slip on to a trailer. 

6 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Sailing?  They don't need no stinking sailing.  What could possibly go wrong trying to get to Florida on that finely found catamaran?  The trusty 15hp kicker with the fine tiller extension will get them out far enough to get into real trouble.  I do have to admit Jess is a gamer on the boat projects.  Why don't they transfer the 50hp Merc. from the houseboat to the cat?  I love those old Mercurys, major howlers but not built for pushing a houseboat;  much better when you are using them at their top end to go FAST!

They need to mount an old Black Max 150 on it, and get on down the ditch...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Somebody Else said:
12 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Sorry, should have used the special sarcasm font.

Years ago, we had a couple of local sailors bring their class here for a one-design race. They were like the Keystone Cops, bouncing off docks and moored boats and each other, and when I commented to one of them his reaction was "What? Sailboats just do that. It's impossible to control them."

When you accept mayhem and chaos and casual destruction, there's no need to learn actual skills. That's what other people bailing your ass out are for!

- DSK

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

I think a 1970s Mercury with the cowl off would suit them better.

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Sorry, should have used the special sarcasm font.

Years ago, we had a couple of local sailors bring their class here for a one-design race. They were like the Keystone Cops, bouncing off docks and moored boats and each other, and when I commented to one of them his reaction was "What? Sailboats just do that. It's impossible to control them."

When you accept mayhem and chaos and casual destruction, there's no need to learn actual skills. That's what other people bailing your ass out are for!

- DSK

I "sent" my C-team to a regatta at one of hte service academies. I was really aggressively scheduling because it was new and exciting to have a sailing team. Well, it was windy and cold and they wore sweatshirts and had a blast! But they were upside down a LOT. Something of a legend. You reminded me of that with your story.

3 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

You’re assuming the engine will work long to get them in trouble. These guys had to row their houseboat from their slip on to a trailer. 

I just watched that video with the sound off.  I must say, they have filmed some of the shabbiest looking waterfront in Virginia and North Carolina.  I've spent most of my life knocking around the rivers and bays in this region, and I'll be damned if they haven't found some of the sketchiest, neckiest places anywhere in these parts!  I mean, it's one rolling circus of something just above trailerpark, whether on the water, in the woods or on the highway. But I love the enthusiasm - they are the perfect antidote for the Kardashians. I am hooked!

I really enjoyed their surprise and outrage when not one, but two boatyards refused to haul the catamaran without some sort of very large deposit in case they abandoned it and needed to pay for a shredder, then the owner of the one yard that would finally haul them asking them point blank on the dock with the boat in the slings if they were going to abandon it.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, hdra said:

I really enjoyed their surprise and outrage when not one, but two boatyards refused to haul the catamaran without some sort of very large deposit in case they abandoned it and needed to pay for a shredder, then the owner of the one yard that would finally haul them asking them point blank on the dock with the boat in the slings if they were going to abandon it.

I'm glad I haven't watched all of them. It is more entertaining reading about it 2nd hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

they are the perfect antidote for the Kardashians. I am hooked!

Great observation.

At least they are trying to do something useful.

7 minutes ago, Blitz said:

Here's another couple with no skills

She's got decent skills, if wearing a bikini is a skill...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, justsomeguy! said:

She's got decent skills, if wearing a bikini is a skill...

That couple is far too conventional. These two with the catamaran are much more interesting. Just go back to this episode (the OP) where they buy the boat. James the seller looks absolutely sheepish to be interviewed after having charged money for the thing. And the new owner is as enthusiastic as Gomer Pyle. I mean, he's crazy but you have to like him!!  "You want something bigger and better now, right?"  James has owned this zombie hulk for a year. 

The comments are priceless too.

15 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

That couple is far too conventional. These two with the catamaran are much more interesting. Just go back to this episode (the OP) where they buy the boat. James the seller looks absolutely sheepish to be interviewed after having charged money for the thing. And the new owner is as enthusiastic as Gomer Pyle. I mean, he's crazy but you have to like him!!  "You want something bigger and better now, right?"  James has owned this zombie hulk for a year. 

The comments are priceless too.

and theres no leaks is the boat, but here is your emergency leak patch.... a toilet wax ring on a piece of plexi. smdh

On 1/15/2020 at 6:48 PM, Toecutter's Ghost said:

I looked at my boat today. The spreaders are round, the mast is silver, and the starboard flag halyard is further out. I have a radar that is probably not visible with a lady at that high. With respect to the lady in the chair. The hair colour and bun, the glasses, the shirt, the arms and shoulders look like Admiral Shirley. Shirley's feet are smaller. The similarity however is creepy, or maybe not. Everyone has a double I suppose. Shirley went to the top to thread in a halyard. Prior to that, I only had one GF ever offer to help with boat work.

Good grief. I watched a bit of bikini and whiskers. Quoting whiskers. The wyre got red hot, the starter switch is for a car, I just learned about stainless, the starter is under the blower. That got me to nine minutes and was all I can take. Please let me know if bikini does anything exciting. And the alternator belt is rather loose, and the mounts let the engine dance all over.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Roger That, WTF was I thinking going with the 50, Black Max 150 it is, might be a little dicy with the PVC pipe tiller steering.  They can outrun any weather they might encounter and get away from the authorities that are going to be running them out of marinas and anchorages while enroute (assuming they actually get back in the water.

• Like 1

My money says that transom can't tolerate 150hp.

hmnmm...no rutters yet? Saw the check engine light on the Prius too going to Hampton. Do people really just drive and ignore that stuff? :ph34r:

And it will be getting cold, even in Elizabeth City in a couple days. They'll probably just plug in a space heater.
Train wreck, indeed.

1 hour ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Saw the check engine light on the Prius too going to Hampton. Do people really just drive and ignore that stuff? :ph34r:

Well if it's serious the light gets brighter or it starts flashing or something.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toecutter's Ghost said:

Yep. Light came on. Checked under the hood. Engine was still there. Ignored light.

My 30 year old Subaru's 'Check Engine' light came on about 12 months ago. It's still running. Shrug. Probably some piece of emission control crap I wouldn't care about even if I did know what it was.

FKT

4 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

My 30 year old Subaru's 'Check Engine' light came on about 12 months ago. It's still running. Shrug. Probably some piece of emission control crap I wouldn't care about even if I did know what it was.

FKT

New Jersey you cannot pump your own gas. Famous problem: stop in NJ, buy gas, 50 miles later "check engine" on. Why? Service didn't tighten the cap!

On 1/12/2020 at 10:26 PM, Ishmael said:

I think I have read every Asimov book. It was a small triumph. I am not worthy.

I got to meet him when I was about 12. I used my time to call him out on a continuity error in the Foundation series, because I was 12...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

Hah! that one didn't embed but I love the title.

We Get Some PAINT On The CATAMARAN - Sand The Bottom - Bondo The Ceiling!

Oopsie.  Not sure why it didn't work. 

On 1/16/2020 at 4:28 PM, fastyacht said:

I think a 1970s Mercury with the cowl off would suit them better.

how about a seagull so you won't hear her...?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

I thought it just meant that the check engine light is working, the problem is if it goes out.

i am a fan of the 'magic lamp - make a wish' light... (always wish there is no problem and it will be just fine):

Image result for check oil lamp

That's the "Congratulations! You get a new car!" prize light.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daan62 said:

i am a fan of the 'magic lamp - make a wish' light... (always wish there is no problem and it will be just fine):

Image result for check oil lamp

Ha ha ha ha!

An old girlfriend owns a Volvo wagon which is really not all that old but she never cares for it AT ALL. It literally pours oil to the ground wherever it's parked. So being the clever girl that she is, she carries around a gallon of the cheapest oil she can find. She uses the Magic Lamp icon to let her know when to add oil. To her it means, "Add oil within a week if it's convenient for you." I told her, by the time that light comes on, your engine is experiencing massive wear on all the moving parts and will cost thousands to repair. Her: "Well it still gets me to work..." She can't drive it more than about 25 miles.

5 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Ha ha ha ha!

An old girlfriend owns a Volvo wagon which is really not all that old but she never cares for it AT ALL. It literally pours oil to the ground wherever it's parked. So being the clever girl that she is, she carries around a gallon of the cheapest oil she can find. She uses the Magic Lamp icon to let her know when to add oil. To her it means, "Add oil within a week if it's convenient for you." I told her, by the time that light comes on, your engine is experiencing massive wear on all the moving parts and will cost thousands to repair. Her: "Well it still gets me to work..." She can't drive it more than about 25 miles.

Dare I ask about her personal hygiene?

Hedy Lamarr once said that American men were only interested in money and breasts.

Looks like she was right. :D

4 hours ago, daan62 said:

how about a seagull so you won't hear her...?

Seagull is the correct ethnicity for the boat, but the Merc is closer to the owner's

On 1/11/2020 at 10:47 PM, LB 15 said:

That annoying laugh would do it for me. But she must have something going for her for him to keep her in tow. Maybe she goes off like a Hezbollah car bomb.

Maybe she has a trick pelvis, just like your mom. 

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Hedy Lamarr once said that American men were only interested in money and breasts.

Later, they became obsessed with spread spectrum

13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I'm an American man and I don't give a damn about money.  

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 7:07 PM, Unkle Krusty said:

Good grief. I watched a bit of bikini and whiskers. Quoting whiskers. The wyre got red hot, the starter switch is for a car, I just learned about stainless, the starter is under the blower. That got me to nine minutes and was all I can take. Please let me know if bikini does anything exciting. And the alternator belt is rather loose, and the mounts let the engine dance all over.

Yep, belt is loose, mounts are shot, but so is much of the rest of the vessel. When he started babbling about no knowing what white smoke meant I was sorely tempted to add a comment to the vid about a new pope...but I restrained myself.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, casc27 said:

Yep, belt is loose, mounts are shot, but so is much of the rest of the vessel. When he started babbling about no knowing what white smoke meant I was sorely tempted to add a comment to the vid about a new pope...but I restrained myself.

use a more positive perspective... white smoke (or any other colour of smoke) is also a sign that the engine is still running... 

1 hour ago, casc27 said:

Hell, if you aren't going to use the 'white smoke/Pope' bit, then I'm stealing it.  It's too good to waste.

• Like 2

If any of you follow sv seeker.  He blew himself up, head injuries and some burns.  Sounds bad.

6 minutes ago, Blitz said:

If any of you follow sv seeker.  He blew himself up, head injuries and some burns.  Sounds bad.

I created a thread for it while you were posting this.

• Like 1

Just found this and looking at the videos these guys are just around the corner from me.  Wonder if I should go take a peek.....  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Defy said:

Just found this and looking at the videos these guys are just around the corner from me.  Wonder if I should go take a peek.....  

absolutely.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Defy said:

Absolutely - just don't call yourself Li'l Murray. :D

We need a rep to keep track of the (un)reality there for us.

• Like 5

I long for the Hot Rod days, now that was some entertainment  complete with photographic evidence!  Maybe FF decided to git himself a Harley effing Davidson and go inland for a while.

This place has come full circle now hasn't it? Anarchy my arse, mainstream Received Wisdom is all I see here. This couple, kooky as they are, are the outsiders that define you lot as the mainstream bore-a-thon. 

I've not much interest in watching these guys cobble it back together, all i hope is that they get some less-ordinary fun out of it. Shouting about the size of their brains or tits just makes you a cunt.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Gone Ballistic said:

This place has come full circle now hasn't it? Anarchy my arse, mainstream Received Wisdom is all I see here. This couple, kooky as they are, are the outsiders that define you lot as the mainstream bore-a-thon. 

I've not much interest in watching these guys cobble it back together, all i hope is that they get some less-ordinary fun out of it. Shouting about the size of their brains or tits just makes you a cunt.

well, then i am a cunt waiting to see Darwin bite these poor smucks in the ass.

2 hours ago, Gone Ballistic said:

Now that's some funny shit right there. (Paraphrasing Clean)

9 hours ago, fastyacht said:
11 hours ago, Gone Ballistic said:

Now that's some funny shit right there. (Paraphrasing Clean)

It hasn't gone full circle until we're back to arguing about whether a J-105 can plane.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It hasn't gone full circle until we're back to arguing about whether a J-105 can plane.

FB- Doug

Oh hell, now go burn some incense and say the right incantations before somebody starts a thread about it.  Again. 

I hope it's not too late.

24 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Oh hell, now go burn some incense and say the right incantations before somebody starts a thread about it.  Again. 

I hope it's not too late.

I don't have any incense but I can provide a mantra.

https://youtu.be/4Ibw9S_POD8

12 hours ago, basketcase said:

well, then i am a cunt waiting to see Darwin bite these poor smucks in the ass.

yup.

21 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Hell, if you aren't going to use the 'white smoke/Pope' bit, then I'm stealing it.  It's too good to waste.

I'm old and lazy. It's all yours!

turns out the SV Seeker explosion was a prank. Grrrr. asshole

10 hours ago, Zonker said:

Grrrr. asshole

That appears to be the prevailing opinion judging by the comments on the video.

The channel has lost more than a couple of thousand subscribers in the last 2 of days, and almost twice as many dislikes as likes on the last video.

Doug had posted this comment on the last video and later removed it:

"Thank you everybody. This has been a wildly though provoking day. I appreciate all of the participation no matter what your opinion. Lots of well though out and written ideas. And no. Do not expect an apology. A follow up is much more likely. Compassion is a curious thing. You'd think it would have a shelf life beyond 12 hours. I wonder if it's really compassion if it fails that test. So, here's the first take away. Let's not wait to tell someone we care about them until it's too late. And perhaps we should learn to care about those people who are in arms reach the most, and not some boat building hack on the internet. I think we can all agree about that."

In my opinion, that's a pretty sorry explanation.  I think it just fanned the flames.  Perhaps he realized that too, and that's why the comment is gone.

Also the original announcement and the second update video, with the doctor in it, were taken down form the channel.  

It will be interesting to see if there is a follow up video that Doug alluded to above, and what he will have to say.

I would say they Doug stepped on his dick in a pretty big way, and probably caused irreparable damage to what was up until now, an interesting and compelling saga.

One of my favorite and very fitting comments:  "The day the SV Seeker sunk on dry land."

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 6:18 PM, Defy said:

I think that they may actually be underway headed to Florida, judging by his latest replies. 

Yes, they are doing everything wrong, but there is something about these two that makes me want to keep watching. It may be a train wreck, but it's a strangely endearing train wreck and I think there's just a bit of 'having us on' that's going on. "Google Maps says to cut through the airbase to get to Burger King."  I'd call it somewhere between the anti-Kardashians Move Aboard and Honey Boo Boo Hits the Water.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

I think that they may actually be underway headed to Florida, judging by his latest replies. 

Yes, they are doing everything wrong, but there is something about these two that makes me want to keep watching. It may be a train wreck, but it's an strangely endearing train wreck and I think there's just a bit of 'having us on' that's going on. "Google Maps says to cut through the airbase to get to Burger King."  I'd call it somewhere between the anti-Kardashians Move Aboard and Honey Boo Boo Hits the Water.

Its the same reason people slow down while driving on a highway,  to rubberneck at thd three car pileup on the other side. 

5 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

I I'd call it somewhere between the anti-Kardashians Move Aboard and Honey Boo Boo Hits the Water.

I agree about the Kardashian comment but not with the Honey Boo Boo part - they don't require subtitles to be intelligible. ;)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I agree about the Kardashian comment but not with the Honey Boo Boo part - they don't require subtitles to be intelligible. ;)

I’m like Bill Mahr - I guess I’m just looking for a reason to say the name Honey Boo Boo because it sounds so dumb :)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

That appears to be the prevailing opinion judging by the comments on the video.

The channel has lost more than a couple of thousand subscribers in the last 2 of days, and almost twice as many dislikes as likes on the last video.

Doug had posted this comment on the last video and later removed it:

"Thank you everybody. This has been a wildly though provoking day. I appreciate all of the participation no matter what your opinion. Lots of well though out and written ideas. And no. Do not expect an apology. A follow up is much more likely. Compassion is a curious thing. You'd think it would have a shelf life beyond 12 hours. I wonder if it's really compassion if it fails that test. So, here's the first take away. Let's not wait to tell someone we care about them until it's too late. And perhaps we should learn to care about those people who are in arms reach the most, and not some boat building hack on the internet. I think we can all agree about that."

In my opinion, that's a pretty sorry explanation.  I think it just fanned the flames.  Perhaps he realized that too, and that's why the comment is gone.

Also the original announcement and the second update video, with the doctor in it, were taken down form the channel.  

It will be interesting to see if there is a follow up video that Doug alluded to above, and what he will have to say.

I would say they Doug stepped on his dick in a pretty big way, and probably caused irreparable damage to what was up until now, an interesting and compelling saga.

One of my favorite and very fitting comments:  "The day the SV Seeker sunk on dry land."

Kind of like when good old Captain Electron pretended he had topped himself. Ah those were the days...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I’m like Bill Mahr - I guess I’m just looking for a reason to say the name Honey Boo Boo because it sounds so dumb 

It -IS- dumb. I know, I have wasted slightly over a full minute watching a video of Honey Boo Boo somebody sent me a link to. By comparison, participating in these SA discussions is a lofty and beneficial intellectual exercise

- DSK

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It -IS- dumb. I know, I have wasted slightly over a full minute watching a video of Honey Boo Boo somebody sent me a link to. By comparison, participating in these SA discussions is a lofty and beneficial intellectual exercise

- DSK

You forgot the proper color!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

It -IS- dumb. I know, I have wasted slightly over a full minute watching a video of Honey Boo Boo somebody sent me a link to.

I gave it 5 minutes - but only because for 4 minutes and 30 seconds I was dumbstruck and unable to hit the remote button.

I had a horrifying thought later - there must be millions, possibly 10's of millions of people who watched those trashy lowlifes - it ran for 5 years. :blink:

Makes the Kardashians look like intellectuals.

• Like 2

Is it just me or does she get more annoying every video?  They sorta drain the water out of the sugar scoops and corner the market on Bondo fiberglass in this one.

• Like 1

Making their own glass tape so they can glass over the separated hull/deck joint - on top of the hull paint. :blink:

The youtube comments are actually amazingly helpful except I think they don't listen. I wrote one piece of advice (not in this thread) to them and got stomped on by one of their enablers. Haha.

image.thumb.png.7951e8fda6f50bda26314c80473e27bb.png

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Plus it's not 100% required for the sperm donor to be completely bind, deaf, and bereft of the senses of touch and smell. How Honey Boo Boo was ever conceived is a complete mystery to me.

I think Doug fucked up big time with his prank. I will not watch anymore of the kids and the catamaran. If boobs does something exciting I might watch. The kids that want to buy super fast bikes as there first, are also nuts, and just as bad as these wanna bees. The first canoe we built sunk. There was a small miscalculation as to the amount of water, that could enter thru a small hole. It was a group effort.

“Oh looky what we got and I don’t know how to use it” “annoying giggle.”

291C3427-6702-4F8D-B49C-FDD482302DD7.jpeg

• Like 1

This could be good.

Hey, didn't you get a time out and have to stand in the corner for a month? Perhaps the page views for the site dropped so much in your absence Scott had to reconsider.

That woman's voice is sooo awful. It's like some barely functioning fast food employees got handed a boat. I like at the end of the video they thank their patrons. All 7 of them. That should keep them in Bondo.

On 11/13/2019 at 7:30 PM, SloopJonB said:

If I had a boat for sale and a guy with a man-bun showed up, even if he had cash I wouldn't sell it to him.

In fact even if he offered more than the asking price I wouldn't sell it to him.

Has there ever been a more stupid looking male fashion? It makes platform shoes and 6" wide neckties look classically stylish.

This is why I come to SA.   Can't get enough of these mad about hair posts.

• Like 3

Correction: irritated by people making themselves LOOK stupid. It takes no more effort to make oneself look good.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Correction: irritated by people making themselves LOOK stupid. It takes no more effort to make oneself look good.

But it's worse than that. The man-bun was the seller, not the buyer.  And he advertised that crate for $6000.  It would be interesting to know what they actually paid for it.

17 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

But it's worse than that. The man-bun was the seller, not the buyer.  And he advertised that crate for $6000.  It would be interesting to know what they actually paid for it.

6k. No boom. No standing rigging.  No running rigging.  No sails. No center boards. No interior. No nets. No way.

• Like 2