basketcase

inexperienced couple buy a p.o.s. catamaran

18 hours ago, Crusty said:

But they got no rutters!

in the very first catamaran video there is a pile of crap on the dock next to the boat. i distinctly saw two rutter cassettes. i know its not the same thing, and i know that with those shitty transom extensions they are totally useless, but they are there. or they were there.  

On 2/12/2020 at 3:40 PM, basketcase said:

So, it appears that they have been following along.....

Did they mention us? Do tell...

3 hours ago, Wolkenzug said:

772124816_Anmerkung2020-02-14105719.jpg.afc1afab38cb87d9afcce9c220820d02.jpg

Well now we know that they are getting the message - add rudders for God's sake!

Can't wait for the next video, since I assume it's about crossing the Albemarle Sound. Even on a bluebird day with moderate northerly winds, you can find yourself pitching and rolling on the south side as you go into the Alligator River. I'd say that might be the highest-risk leg for a potential shipwreck of some kind...from there all the way to the free dock at Belhaven. The most remote area to face an engine problem etc.

14 hours ago, basketcase said:
On 2/12/2020 at 11:34 PM, Crusty said:

But they got no rutters!

in the very first catamaran video there is a pile of crap on the dock next to the boat. i distinctly saw two rutter cassettes. i know its not the same thing, and i know that with those shitty transom extensions they are totally useless, but they are there. or they were there.  

Did the guy who sold them the boat put on the transom steps? I wonder if they realized that the boat should have rudders.

BTW I used to sail a beach cat with just one rudder. It was not great but it worked, it wasn't my boat and it beat not sailing at all.

FB- Doug

An almost 2 month lag between shooting video and posting it leads me to believe that their editing bay is as sophisticated as their boat restoration...

You all can skip this video. There is zero Iroquois content except for the opening scene where they proclaim wonder that it did not sink. Mostly just Squeaky prancing about and not shutting up. There are insufficient shots of Mrs. Manbun.

2 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

You all can skip this video. There is zero Iroquois content except for the opening scene where they proclaim wonder that it did not sink. Mostly just Squeaky prancing about and not shutting up. There are insufficient shots of Mrs. Manbun.

Thanks, but I was going to skip it anyway.

50 minutes ago, atyourcervix said:

Spoiler Alert:  Manbun can't get over his guilt for taking their last dollars so he has mrs manbun (i know, right?) make them cinnabons.

This. Definitely this. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Driving Squeaky around... Manbun has earned every penny!

dollars to donuts, when squeaky and gomer left manbun's dock the first time, he thought that was the last he would see of them..... but like gas station sushi, it just keeps coming back.

4 hours ago, NickDG said:

dfgfdgfdgfdgdfg.jpg

Posters take a lot of cheap shots in this thread, but this one is top.

Well done Nick, you will soon be back in positive likeys, whether you like it or not...

9 hours ago, NickDG said:

dfgfdgfdgfdgdfg.jpg

Should be manbun driving,  no?

On 2/13/2020 at 4:11 PM, SaltyMerlin said:

They are in a great area to get cheap sailboats.  These "ready to sail" boats are about an hour from the marina where they hauled out the catamaran:

28' S2 8.5 with a diesel for $6,500 great condition - https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983/s2-8-5-3596993/

28' Sabre 28 with an A4 for $8,000 same deal - https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1975/sabre-28-3648579/

27' Ericson with a diesel for $10,000 - https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1977/ericson-sloop-3463304/

I guess they really wanted a catamaran...

Danged, I like the little Sabre

40 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

Danged, I like the little Sabre

Think they wanted shallow draft for ICW. 

14 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

I thought the ICW Chanel was supposed to be maintained at 9 feet.  At least it is in our part of the world.    

13 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

I thought the ICW Chanel was supposed to be maintained at 9 feet.  At least it is in our part of the world.    

Ha!   I say  

especially at low tide  

Budget cuts long ago cut back on dredging.   years ago you would see them working all over the place.  Not as much any more  

Might be maintained at 9 feet locally  in busy commercial areas  

1 hour ago, Cristoforo said:

In their first video he says "I realized the adventure was limited on [the houseboat], i could only take it so far, just gonna leave it on a lake... I really wanted something that could take me to Florida for the winter..."

I think they are taking the ICW because of the shitty condition of the Iroquois.  Looks like quite a few people take their houseboats and even pontoons down the entire ICW... so if the plan was just to get to Florida, the houseboat makes more sense.  If the plan is to go further than Florida in the future, while on a budget, a monohull makes the most sense.

He's not OK with a $25-30k catamaran, but he's OK with a 6k catamaran that needs 20k worth of hardware, sails, rigging, rudders rutters, fiberglass, interior and electronics?

3 hours ago, SaltyMerlin said:

In their first video he says "I realized the adventure was limited on [the houseboat], i could only take it so far, just gonna leave it on a lake... I really wanted something that could take me to Florida for the winter..."

I think they are taking the ICW because of the shitty condition of the Iroquois.  Looks like quite a few people take their houseboats and even pontoons down the entire ICW... so if the plan was just to get to Florida, the houseboat makes more sense.  If the plan is to go further than Florida in the future, while on a budget, a monohull makes the most sense.

He's not OK with a $25-30k catamaran, but he's OK with a 6k catamaran that needs 20k worth of hardware, sails, rigging, rudders rutters, fiberglass, interior and electronics?

Grasshopper, do not seek to make sense of this Odyssey.  Let all maritime logic go, and just enjoy this modern-day Tom Sawyer and Becky’s voyage...

6 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

Pleasant dream, but alas, no.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

It's actually the ICSW--Intra Coastal Swamp Way

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SaltyMerlin said:

im pretty sure that your 20k is pretty low.... new sails.... new deck hardware... new blocks.... new interior...new rutters and center boards.... new electronics.... new deck core. hell the deck alone is pushing 30k

4 hours ago, basketcase said:

hell the deck alone is pushing 30k

Not if you do it up in Bondo and drywall screws!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, socalrider said:

Not if you do it up in Bondo and drywall screws!

True, but to it properly. 

And I'm pretty sure they were smart enough to use deck screws in the deck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, basketcase said:

True, but to it properly. 

And I'm pretty sure they were smart enough to use deck screws in the deck.

Good point - I’m sure they’ll save the drywall screws for the interior where they belong, and tape and mud over them properly. 

• Like 2

On 2/15/2020 at 9:29 AM, SaltyMerlin said:

Think of it as interest-free credit installment payments. Instead of one large chunk of cash, which they don't have, they make incremental payments and [try to] fix what they can, when they can.

A much more sound way to blow your cash than to go into credit debt for a yacht. Just sayin'...

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe  they had $6000 free cash to blow on a boat. Maybe Squeaky has a night job. 

On 2/15/2020 at 1:44 PM, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Sea level rise will help with ICW depth. There will be less of Florida to visit, though...

21 minutes ago, randii said:

Sea level rise will help with ICW depth. There will be less of Florida to visit, though...

Win-win.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

I find it hard to believe  they had $6000 free cash to blow on a boat. Maybe Squeaky has a night job. 

Phone sex.

horrified.gif.8fa417a3ef27267d4cebdbd1a67d7452.gif

Okie Dokie then, away they go.  Lovely to see man bun again, shameless asshole that he is.  Can't wait for some wind and the "cabin" turns into a mixmaster.

Here's the thing...this $6k craft will probably get them to Florida.  Rudder, spars, rigging, and sails?  They don't even know how to sail.

If they had bought a fully outfitted $30k cat, their story would be nowhere near as compelling to anyone let alone the people on here.  Would there even have been a thread here on SA about them?

It just may be that these two hayseeds are not quite the rubes everyone is making them out to be. 

Ok, I'll admit, I haven't read every post.  But didn't the original video of the boat show it with the mast down on the deck???  Where did it go???

In this latest installment, they have a great voiceover which addresses in a very tongue-in-cheek manner many of the 'concerns' or issues stated in the YT Comments and places like the Forum threads here (ie; Bondo, cheap old leaky boat, noobs, non-marine hardware, etc etc). They are aware of the criticism, the skeptical, and the reasons for it - but I think this is a reveal that they also know that there is no such thing as bad free publicity.
Makes me think that perhaps, just perhaps, this is a craftier planned venture WRT drawing views (& Patreons) than most of us have otherwise been giving them credit for.

If so: Well played. Well played, indeed. :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CapnK said:

In this latest installment, they have a great voiceover which addresses in a very tongue-in-cheek manner many of the 'concerns' or issues stated in the YT Comments and places like the Forum threads here (ie; Bondo, cheap old leaky boat, noobs, non-marine hardware, etc etc). They are aware of the criticism, the skeptical, and the reasons for it - but I think this is a reveal that they also know that there is no such thing as bad free publicity.
Makes me think that perhaps, just perhaps, this is a craftier planned venture WRT drawing views (& Patreons) than most of us have otherwise been giving them credit for.

I heard that the production crew takes them off the boat each night and they actually stay in the closest Holiday Inn where they have a sponsorship deal. Breakfasts are provided by Stuckys  In real time they are in Hilton Head. Gomer. Has a 1130 tee time on the Plantation Course.  This after they spent a week with Pedro at South of the Border which is next weeks video ( already available to their 6 patrons) . Big fireworks incident with Squeaky, but I won’t spoil it. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Breakfasts are provided by Stuckys

Post of the day - and it's only 7:37EST! :lol:

1 hour ago, CapnK said:

Told ya! This Trevor cat has been playing his series just right. And look, they waited until they had the calmest morning crossing I've ever seen on the Albemarle Sound. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Here's the thing...this $6k craft will probably get them to Florida.  Rudder, spars, rigging, and sails?  They don't even know how to sail.

If they had bought a fully outfitted $30k cat, their story would be nowhere near as compelling to anyone let alone the people on here.  Would there even have been a thread here on SA about them?

It just may be that these two hayseeds are not quite the rubes everyone is making them out to be. 

Nah, they're dumb as shit.

Crafty marketing plan, perhaps, for people who are clueless and dwell so exclusively in the world of cell-phone social media that they are as unaware of the rest of the world as they are of how boats work. But that still leaves them dumb as shit. And if they're making more than pennies off this U-Tube stuff, I'd be very surprised. It just doesn't generate much income unless you get a lot more patrons and WAY lot more hits

- DSK

51 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Crafty marketing plan, perhaps, for people who are clueless and dwell so exclusively in the world of cell-phone social media that they are as unaware of the rest of the world as they are of how boats work. But that still leaves them dumb as shit. And if they're making more than pennies off this U-Tube stuff, I'd be very surprised. It just doesn't generate much income unless you get a lot more patrons and WAY lot more hits

- DSK

But he juggles too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atyourcervix said:

If you think they're some kind of internet cinematic virtuosos you're out of your fucking mind.

LOL there's a big difference between being a cinematic virtuoso and just delivering a self-aware farce.

21 minutes ago, atyourcervix said:

you still give them way too much credit.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯     I just hope they keep delivering some good fuel for this thread. It's like the MST3K of sailing videos.

3 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:
29 minutes ago, atyourcervix said:

you still give them way too much credit.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯     I just hope they keep delivering some good fuel for this thread. It's like the MST3K of sailing videos.

You're new here, aren't you? Check out the Hot Rod's Catamabarge thread... slow to start with the real anarchy, since so many people gave him the benefit of the doubt at first. But holy crap now that was an amazing ride, with an ending that many predicted except far more bizarre: nobody predicted pregnant hermaphrodites and cannibalism.

- DSK

• Like 2

Or the Spanish Inquisition.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:17 PM, Somebody Else said:

Oh fuck you dead SE. Now I will have to go watch the fucking vid just to see what hapless creature actually married manbun. Thanks you fucker...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Or the Spanish Inquisition.

Nobody.... Bahhhhh. :P

6 hours ago, CapnK said:

I agree.  I don't think they are as stupid as they appear to be.  Well, him anyway.  The girl, I'm not so sure.

At least they have perfected their anchoring technique.:blink:. All the weight of the chain on top must just push it into the mud.

I take it the bridge operator wasn't happy that they were not on the radio around 5:10

Is there a set process that they should be following there?

19 minutes ago, OldmateFred said:

I take it the bridge operator wasn't happy that they were not on the radio around 5:10

Is there a set process that they should be following there?

Here in the Carolina's, for some reason they keep track of the transient boats as they pass by. I don't think it's a law, more of a policy. Maybe to justify funding? If the vessel name and hailing port aren't readily visible, they'll call on the VHF sometimes to get it from you. That was my guess as to what was happening there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

This!

It might be noted on the chart to monitor or hail VHF channel 12 or one of the other Port Operations VTS channels when nearing a draw bridge or that specific bridge. I'm guessing that note wouldn't be on the AAA folding map or Stuckey's place mat or Google Maps or whatever it is they are using.

1 minute ago, Somebody Else said:

It might be noted on the chart to monitor or hail VHF channel 12 or one of the other Port Operations VTS channels when nearing a draw bridge or that specific bridge. I'm guessing that note wouldn't be on the AAA folding map or Stuckey's place mat or Google Maps or whatever it is they are using.

Yup, would take some of the adventure out of the trip to actually do some research about "proper" protocols.

49 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

I still think Gomer should be arrested for sexually abusing the mentally retarded.

Which one is Gomer?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Which one is Gomer?

Did I get it wrong?

Aren't Gomer and Squeaky the idiots taking the rutterless Iroquois to Floridah?

On 2/17/2020 at 9:34 PM, basketcase said:

Did you watch it? They are on a quest, a la Lord of the Rings. Nicely done! :lol:

image.png.5cbfa534733f3a98de3770824b3c8d33.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Did you watch it? They are on a quest, a la Lord of the Rings. Nicely done! :lol:

image.png.5cbfa534733f3a98de3770824b3c8d33.png

I think that it is a hell of an accomplishment that they got to the other side of the mill pond, with that motor and that boat, in the weather window they picked. Bravo Zulu Gomer and Squeaky.  Bravo Zulu 

8 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Did I get it wrong?

Aren't Gomer and Squeaky the idiots taking the rutterless Iroquois to Floridah?

It just didn't make it clear which one was the retarded one. ;)

11 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I still think Gomer should be arrested for sexually abusing the mentally retarded.

"Gomer does Giggles" is probably already on Pornhub. And, no, I have not looked (and do not intend to...).

On 2/18/2020 at 5:30 AM, CapnK said:

I read that the average intake on youtube videos per thousand views is about $7.32.  So at the 14k views that he's got on the most recent Aberlemarle crossing video, he's at about $103.  He's a far cry from getting cash-flow positive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Looper said:

I read that the average intake on youtube videos per thousand views is about $7.32.  So at the 14k views that he's got on the most recent Aberlemarle crossing video, he's at about $103.  He's a far cry from getting cash-flow positive.

Granted, a buck-o-three per vid probably doesn't cover the time spent on editing, not at any decent hourly wage, but intended or not they are building an audience on YT to send over to their patronage page, and getting lots of exposure at sites like this one with their , erm, "boating adventure".

I remember about 5 years ago watching the first couple of videos of a young couple from Oz on their charter fleet Beneteau. They weren't making any money then, but in just a couple of years they got kinda famous...

I doubt these two will see that kind of success, but if they get to a monthly income of a couple or three grand, it'll become self-sustaining. Maybe one day they'll even be able to afford a mast stick, and some of those steery-things for the back of the boat...

37 minutes ago, CapnK said:

Granted, a buck-o-three per vid probably doesn't cover the time spent on editing, not at any decent hourly wage, but intended or not they are building an audience on YT to send over to their patronage page, and getting lots of exposure at sites like this one with their , erm, "boating adventure".

I remember about 5 years ago watching the first couple of videos of a young couple from Oz on their charter fleet Beneteau. They weren't making any money then, but in just a couple of years they got kinda famous...

I doubt these two will see that kind of success, but if they get to a monthly income of a couple or three grand, it'll become self-sustaining. Maybe one day they'll even be able to afford a mast stick, and some of those steery-things for the back of the boat...

The youtyube earnings are severely nonlinear and youtube keeps raising the bar. You have to be at close to 1 million videws per vid to actualy get paid in the sense of "self sustaioning" You don't eben qualify for a single cent until you pass a subscrier threshold (tesms of thousands I think now).

IT isn't at all like a few years ago when you coul make a couple hundred bucks off a 40k vid.

35 minutes ago, CapnK said:

The couple from Oz has something Gomer and Squeaky don’t.  A fantastic and magnificent pair of tits. 

• Like 1

Lactation issues aside, the Austrailian couple has a woman with a personality and body movement sense that seems to draw in some viewers around here. I don't watch them (my wife is way more fun) but I unserstand the sentiment,

• Like 1

Wondering if the 13 missed calls on Manbuns iphone are from Gomer desperately trying to get the lift? 

904696482_Anmerkung2020-02-20091028.thumb.jpg.ae4cd8fd59f79bc31d640870d9374912.jpg

6 hours ago, fastyacht said:

The youtyube earnings are severely nonlinear and youtube keeps raising the bar. You have to be at close to 1 million videws per vid to actualy get paid in the sense of "self sustaioning" You don't eben qualify for a single cent until you pass a subscrier threshold (tesms of thousands I think now).

IT isn't at all like a few years ago when you coul make a couple hundred bucks off a 40k vid.

The threshold is 1000 subscribers, and then youtube reviews the channel which can take months. Then after that you can put adverts on the videos, and you get roughly 1000e per 1 million views (based on my experience).

But apparently the revenue is based on what sort of adverts, for example if you are making videos about buying houses there is a good chance your audience want to buy a house... So the ROI for a company advertising on these videos is higher, and they pay more to have adverts on these vids.

Some weird guy refitting a shit boat in the south of Ireland... his audience are probably buying boat stuff which won't have the same ROI, so he makes sweet, sweet fuck all off ad revenue. I think back in the day it was a lot more lucrative, not so much now unless you're getting millions of views a week. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Zora said:

The threshold is 1000 subscribers, and then youtube reviews the channel which can take months. Then after that you can put adverts on the videos, and you get roughly 1000e per 1 million views (based on my experience).

But apparently the revenue is based on what sort of adverts, for example if you are making videos about buying houses there is a good chance your audience want to buy a house... So the ROI for a company advertising on these videos is higher, and they pay more to have adverts on these vids.

Some weird guy refitting a shit boat in the south of Ireland... his audience are probably buying boat stuff which won't have the same ROI, so he makes sweet, sweet fuck all off ad revenue. I think back in the day it was a lot more lucrative, not so much now unless you're getting millions of views a week. 

Speaking of refitting shit boats, has it stopped snowing so you can get back to work yet? I'm getting ready to haul out soon, we've got quite a few hours up over summer and still got maybe 2 months of decent sailing weather left.

And I'm still adding bits to the boat..... I knew it'd take at least a year to show me what I'd not thought of during the build. A few more deck penetrations for example.

FKT

another video, another plate of piss to motor across..... and then a wrong turn and open ocean?

3 hours ago, basketcase said:

another video, another plate of piss to motor across..... and then a wrong turn and open ocean?

The best part is “this is what I get to listen to every day” 

• Like 2

Just now, Israel Hands said:

The best part is “this is what I get to listen to every day” 

What a great series. Its such a train wreck 

9 hours ago, basketcase said:

I'm pretty sure the "open ocean" is just Pamlico Sound

• Like 2

Really good to see that everything is secure for the passing boat wakes, it will be a BIG wake up call if the wind ever blows on their adventure.  Sure everything will stay in it's place and the rusty (trusty) kicker will weather the storm.  At least they won't have to do without caffeine.

There's nothing safer then a red plastic fuel tank stored loose on deck with the pouring nozzle in place...... :o

Just now, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

There's a distinct lack of found poetry to go along with this adventure.

What, like their huge geography?

You must love the rotten ply though...

43 minutes ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

There's a distinct lack of found poetry to go along with this adventure.

True

And so far, their videos have given me the feeling that the harder one looks, the more time one wastes looking

- DSK

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

True

And so far, their videos have given me the feeling that the harder one looks, the more time one wastes looking

- DSK

Next episode they should be near your home port Steam...will we get to see you toss em a dock line? :D

i guess no potable water other than a case of Evian.??