Sign in to follow this  
Shootist Jeff

Impeachment dirty tricks or “just Politics”?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/republicans-discuss-a-longer-senate-impeachment-trial-to-scramble-democratic-primaries/2019/11/13/d7e46d24-064c-11ea-b17d-8b867891d39d_story.html

Republicans discuss a longer Senate impeachment trial to scramble Democratic primaries

Some Republican senators and their advisers are privately discussing whether to pressure GOP leaders to stage a lengthy impeachment trial beginning in January to scramble the Democratic presidential race — potentially keeping six contenders in Washington until the eve of the Iowa caucuses or longer.

Those conversations about the timing and framework for a trial remain fluid and closely held, according to more than a dozen participants in the discussions. But the deliberations come as Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) faces pressure from conservative activists to swat back at Democrats as public impeachment hearings began this week in the House.

The discussions raise a potential hazard for the six Democratic senators running for president, who had previously planned on a final sprint out of Washington before the Feb. 3 Iowa caucuses and the Feb. 11 New Hampshire primary.

Discuss

**  Standard disclaimer applies

Why?

Why not?  Wasn’t it you or was it Olsen who repeatedly has said “impeachment is a political process”.  Seem Bitch McConnell agrees with you.  This might seriously fuck Liz and Bernie over for Iowa and NH.  

Joe and Mayor Pete are loving it.  I wonder if Bloomberg will see this as a golden opportunity to jump in the ring?

I see Bitch Mac’s strategery to sow discord in the early D primaries.  But I think it might actually backfire.  IMHO, Biden is the best candidate to go up against the Cheeto Jesus in the General.  But he has a tough road against Liz and Bernie in the primaries, as the fringe left base want a far more liberal candidate.  By fucking with the more liberal candidates, Bitch Mac may be ensuring the stronger candidate (Biden) meets trump in the general.  It’s a conundrum......

The Republicans don't have any of that "facts" or "truth" stuff to hide behind, may as well continue the clown show. So far, all I have learned is that Jordan and Nunes together couldn't solve a 5-piece jigsaw puzzle.

• Like 2

Pulling an act like this will most likely hurt Trump, too.  If they actually went through with this, it would send a clear message they don't want Trump.

Of course, if they want to dump Trump, this circus side show will have to be done before the RNC convention and there had better be a solid challender by then.

6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

The Republicans don't have any of that "facts" or "truth" stuff to hide behind, may as well continue the clown show. So far, all I have learned is that Jordan and Nunes together couldn't solve a 5-piece jigsaw puzzle.

Does it matter?  Has it mattered in a long time?  The right wing base seems absolutely immune to anything other than thinly veiled racism, and not-so-thinly veiled nationalism.

It's like the opening scene of Team America, world police has become real.  America!  Fuck Yeah!

so Mayor Pete - perhaps the most boring, centrist Dem - is out campaigning in Iowa, while Sanders, Warren, Klobuchar, Booker and Harris are in DC vocal campaigning against Trump and Tulsi's on Tucker ranting about the Democrats. 

This is Machiavellian genius? I mean the US is stupid, and rightwingers really stupid, so it'll probably happen and probably be a plus, but I don't see how getting Trumps 2020 opponents back in the seat of power instead of scattering them to the four corners of farmland does the Repugnants any favors.

Of course it is a political trick and of course it is a dirty trick, but it isn't illegal. Not really too surprising, they are all playing hardball at this point. It might well backfire too, the Senators trapped in the impeachment will be getting billions of dollars of free air time on every network. Also plenty of time to drag out everyone who ever saw Trump do so much as tear a mattress tag off :lol:

10 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I mentioned that 3 or 4 weeks ago on these pages. The usual suspects dismissed me.

6 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Also plenty of time to drag out everyone who ever saw Trump do so much as tear a mattress tag off :lol:

The reason Republicans, and Trump aides, should be scared is exemplified by yesterdays testimony and the lunch call that Trump aides never knew about. Trumps a dishonest guy who likes to throw people under the bus so they all keep receipts when he trys to - the longer it plays out, the shittier Trump looks to everyone but the elk.

11 minutes ago, warbird said:
10 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I mentioned that 3 or 4 weeks ago on these pages. The usual suspects dismissed me.

Sure. Why not?

One thing I am curious about, everybody assumes that Moscow Mitch will use maximum rat-fuckery (and there's little evidence he wouldn't). But as I read it, the Chief Justice presides over the Senate for impeachment trials. Doesn't that take the whip out of Mitch's hands?

Also, it seems there is plenty of dirt stuck on Mitch's face. Why not add him to the articles of impeachment. The House doesn't have to follow Mitch's schedule, and if they remove him from the chair even temporarily then that will get a lot of Republican senators the breathing room to grow a spine.

Hey, if one is gonna play dirty politics, then get the shovel and fuckin' turn to. The fact that they're not really doing this is one reason why I distrust Democrats far less than I distrust Republicans. It's not that they're inherently more honest, it's that they're inherently less organized and inherently less skilled at rat-fuckery.

- DSK

12 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Sure. Why not?

One thing I am curious about, everybody assumes that Moscow Mitch will use maximum rat-fuckery (and there's little evidence he wouldn't). But as I read it, the Chief Justice presides over the Senate for impeachment trials. Doesn't that take the whip out of Mitch's hands?

Also, it seems there is plenty of dirt stuck on Mitch's face. Why not add him to the articles of impeachment. The House doesn't have to follow Mitch's schedule, and if they remove him from the chair even temporarily then that will get a lot of Republican senators the breathing room to grow a spine.

Hey, if one is gonna play dirty politics, then get the shovel and fuckin' turn to. The fact that they're not really doing this is one reason why I distrust Democrats far less than I distrust Republicans. It's not that they're inherently more honest, it's that they're inherently less organized and inherently less skilled at rat-fuckery.

- DSK

They was not always so. Long ago it was the other way around - see Tammany Hall. Nixon was the switch-over point.

10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

The Republicans don't have any of that "facts" or "truth" stuff to hide behind, may as well continue the clown show. So far, all I have learned is that Jordan and Nunes together couldn't solve a 5 -piece  2- piece jigsaw puzzle.

fify ;-)

Everything that happens in DC is both "dirty tricks" and "just politics".

The only difference is whether you are on the giving or receiving end.

On 11/14/2019 at 8:48 PM, Bus Driver said:

Well, that's good to hear.  Because I was reminded numerous times here by the elk that impeachment is a "political process".  I was just curious if it worked both ways?

3 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Well, that's good to hear.  Because I was reminded numerous times here by the elk that impeachment is a "political process".  I was just curious if it worked both ways?

Of course it does. The question is how much are you willing to overlook. The Republicans eventually put country over party when the extent of Nixon's crimes became evident. I see no hint at all that our current Republicans have any plan except to tell Trump to go do MORE crime, they have his back :rolleyes:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Of course it does. The question is how much are you willing to overlook. The Republicans eventually put country over party when the extent of Nixon's crimes became evident. I see no hint at all that our current Republicans have any plan except to tell Trump to go do MORE crime, they have his back :rolleyes:

That won’t change unless and until polls turn against them. 

29 minutes ago, bootstripe said:

EJcUAUSX0AErN9h.jpg:large

1. Bribery

2. Obstruction of Justice

3. Foreign Emoluments

and for good measure -

4. Being an asshole

47 minutes ago, bootstripe said:

I get two things from posts like this:

1. Some Republicans are too short sighted to imagine they will ever be on the losing end of a crime spree and just cannot see being the victim instead of the perpetrator.

2. Some other ones are confident enough criming will keep them in power forever, thus making #1 a moot point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bootstripe said:

Of which right wing troll are you the sock puppet?

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Of which right wing troll are you the sock puppet?

Who cares, he's already on ignore. Please don't quote the idiots.

• Like 3

On 11/16/2019 at 6:17 AM, Shootist Jeff said:
On 11/14/2019 at 11:48 AM, Bus Driver said:

If I am not mistaken, the comments about Impeachment being a "political process" are typically in response to the Trump Defense Squad demanding to know what crime is the basis for the Impeachment inquiry.

On 11/16/2019 at 9:31 AM, kent_island_sailor said:

Nixon would have completed his term if he had Foxy News. 

11 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Sure I sent some burglars to steal some shit. Who cares? Don't like it, tough.

The whole RNC and their elk are doggy-styling now. Can't impeach without a crime, right? (actually NO that isn't right, but they are too ignorant to know that) Can't know if there is a crime without investigating. Can't investigate without a crime. Dog would be proud!

21 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Who cares, he's already on ignore. Please don't quote the idiots.

The idiots crave our attention

402901144_5fdaf197e3704764e27b462fdd912f1b1.jpg.e1d923073748d5b0c3fccae24015b510.jpg

3 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Nope - he still would have needed a Repulsionist party completely devoid of ethics and integrity.

That wasn't around back then.

On 11/13/2019 at 9:06 PM, Shootist Jeff said:

Paywalled. I wanted to see which six they are referring to. I didn't know there are six senators running and wondered which ones they were. 

I don't think the Iowa primary is all that important, myself. In normal times the press makes a yuuuuge deal out of early primaries, so they are thereby made important. However this time around I suspect they will be largely covering something else.

Call it a hunch. 

This particular road toward impeachment is being driven on by patriots attempting to save AMERICA 

88B69ED7-BA44-406F-9BCD-E16BCC09413C.jpeg

On 11/13/2019 at 9:21 PM, Shootist Jeff said:

Why not?  Wasn’t it you or was it Olsen who repeatedly has said “impeachment is a political process”.  Seem Bitch McConnell agrees with you.  This might seriously fuck Liz and Bernie over for Iowa and NH.  

It was actually Alex Hamilton in Federalist 65. But then what would he know? And yes, your boy Moscow Mitch absolutely gets to play politics with this. Myself, I'm hoping for a really slow comfortable screw even if it almost certainly ends in coitus interruptus. FYI, Speaker Pelosi just called your boy Shitstain's bluff and invited him to testify.

3 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Warren

Sanders

Booker

Klobuchar

Harris

Bennet.

predicting a couple of those might be gone soon.

lets start here

8 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Sure I sent some burglars to steal some shit. Who cares? Don't like it, tough.

The whole RNC and their elk are doggy-styling now. Can't impeach without a crime, right? (actually NO that isn't right, but they are too ignorant to know that) Can't know if there is a crime without investigating. Can't investigate without a crime. Dog would be proud!

Saying they are ignorant gives them too much. They are not ignorant, the Doggy-styling elk here and in DC are straight up liars. In DC they are desperately trying to hold onto power that is demographically slipping away. Here on PA their elk are simply righteous assholes.

I disagree - the elk here are simply ignorant and stupid.

Too ignorant and stupid to recognize that their "team" is simply made up of grifters in it for themselves.

Only Republicans can argue that a president should be impeached for lying about having sex but not for extorting the president of Ukraine to conduct political investigations via a shadow foreign policy apparatus.

The rest of us think that's asinine.

17 hours ago, Bus Driver said:
On 11/16/2019 at 3:17 PM, Shootist Jeff said:

If I am not mistaken, the comments about Impeachment being a "political process" are typically in response to the Trump Defense Squad demanding to know what crime is the basis for the Impeachment inquiry.

I was in no way refuting their point that impeachment is a political process.  I was just wondering if their sentiment carried over to this as well.  That's all.  

12 hours ago, Mark K said:

Paywalled. I wanted to see which six they are referring to. I didn't know there are six senators running and wondered which ones they were. 

I don't think the Iowa primary is all that important, myself. In normal times the press makes a yuuuuge deal out of early primaries, so they are thereby made important. However this time around I suspect they will be largely covering something else.

Call it a hunch. 

Michael Bennet, Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, Bernie Sanders, and Elizabeth Warren

7 hours ago, phillysailor said:

Only Republicans can argue that a president should be impeached for lying about having sex but not for extorting the president of Ukraine to conduct political investigations via a shadow foreign policy apparatus.

The rest of us think that's asinine.

I agree.  Its totally asinine.  The bitch is starting to smoulder.....

Here is political:

Ambassador Yovanovitch  is testifying. A Republican gives a long speech about why Ukraine has always supported Hillary Clinton. He uses up almost all his time.

Republican: blahbhlahblah Ukraine wanted Hillary to win blahblahblah etc etc etc 

Ms. Yovanovitch: Is there a question in there?

:lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Here is political:

Ambassador Yovanovitch  is testifying. A Republican gives a long speech about why Ukraine has always supported Hillary Clinton. He uses up almost all his time.

Republican: blahbhlahblah Ukraine wanted Hillary to win blahblahblah etc etc etc 

Ms. Yovanovitch: Is there a question in there?

:lol::lol::lol:

Brilliant!

12 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Michael Bennet, Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, Bernie Sanders, and Elizabeth Warren

Thanks. There are too many people running for POTUS to keep track of.

Only a couple serious ones there. Not sure this is a wise choice if they make it. This impeachment stuff may be hurting the whole brand name. Might be better to rip the band-aid off quick. 

47 minutes ago, Mark K said:

This impeachment stuff may be hurting the whole brand name. Might be better to rip the band-aid off quick. 

Catch22 for the Dems.

Riddle me this:

Say the Senate votes not guilty. Do we now have a whole raft of laws that no longer are in force? Can Hillary run again and make a "Bribes-R-Us Money in the Front Hacked Emails in the Back Party in the Middle" foundation and have at it?