Sign in to follow this  
Shootist Jeff

Guns and the Environment

I couldn't decide whether to put this in a Gunz thread or a Global warming thread, so thought I would just post it here.  Hi-Larry-Us.

308 straws.jpg

3 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

WTF do plastic straws have to do with global warming? Trolling is weak when the designer of your graphic is a moron :rolleyes:

Well, its all part of the environment.  But point taken.

??

What the actual fuck?

Why would this cause a meltdown, sounds like the gun nutz are getting on board for the big win.

The only problem I see is that if this becomes popular, like say for example the military starts using it, nobody will pick up their "brass" any more and the stuff will still litter the environment. As long as it's mostly on gun ranges, who cares.

- DSK

How is recycled plastic better for the environment than recycled brass?

always like it when you post rightwing shit memes though Jeffreaux, confirms the confirmation bias sources of your outrage.

Jeff, I dunno if you know anything about guns, but those PCP casings aren't going to be recyclable or what a proper gun nut would call reloadable. My guess is that you'd buy them purely for the meltdown factor.

29 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Jeff, I dunno if you know anything about guns, but those PCP casings aren't going to be recyclable or what a proper gun nut would call reloadable. My guess is that you'd buy them purely for the meltdown factor.

Speaking of which, what temperature do those straws melt at? Anything close to what a gun barrel sees?

5 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I doubt that is real, the plastic would probably split and foul the mechanism if it didn't melt first.

That's what I figured.

8 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I doubt that is real, the plastic would probably split and foul the mechanism if it didn't melt first.

I dunno... Shotgun shells have been made out of plastic for decades. Before that they were cardboard.

Some of the shotgun shell is plastic. Jeff's new fangled condom is all latex polypropylene driving a slow comfortable powder burn down the length of the barrel. But like condoms, you might not want to use them twice.

image.png.f05907c911631072fc9823acb28392f1.png

Great idea.

Responsible hunters care about the environment.

Let's hope it makes child killers think deeply before they shoot the nest 9 year old.

The intent hear is to piss off Americans. Just yawn and those who enjoy pissing off Americans will have to think up something else.  Like setting puppies on fire, or something. 

1 hour ago, benwynn said:

The intent hear is to piss off Americans. Just yawn and those who enjoy pissing off Americans will have to think up something else.  Like setting puppies on fire, or something. 

Let's hope they never find the internet.

4 hours ago, benwynn said:

You're a bit late.

But not to worry, politicians know when they must DO SOMETHING.

Puppies and Kittens Trump the Constitution

On 11/15/2019 at 7:58 PM, benwynn said:

On 11/16/2019 at 12:45 AM, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

You're a bit late.

But not to worry, politicians know when they must DO SOMETHING.

Puppies and Kittens Trump the Constitution

While your post has nothing at all to do with my point, it does have the word "puppies" it.

That being said...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.hurriyetdailynews.com/amp/opinion/serkan-demirtas/isnt-it-a-bit-late-for-europe-to-call-for-a-safe-zone-in-syria-147964

On 11/15/2019 at 4:25 PM, Mrleft8 said:

I dunno... Shotgun shells have been made out of plastic for decades. Before that they were cardboard.

Aren't temps and pressures a lot higher in a rifle?

On 11/15/2019 at 2:16 PM, kent_island_sailor said:

Probably something that someone made in their home reloading bench.

That photo could also just be conventional rounds over which someone shrunk a plastic straw for the meme. It kind of looks like that, from the transparency near the cap.

Anyway, the meme is stupid. I think most "snowflakes" wouldn't give a rat's ass if polypropylene was used in ammo manufacturing.

Here's a better meme ...

5116bec4cb35a66af6155cc93285e9cd.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 2:25 PM, Mrleft8 said:

That's just the part that holds the shot, right? Isn't the actual explosiony part made of brass?

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

Probably something that someone made in their home reloading bench.

That photo could also just be conventional rounds over which someone shrunk a plastic straw for the meme. It kind of looks like that, from the transparency near the cap.

Anyway, the meme is stupid. I think most "snowflakes" wouldn't give a rat's ass if polypropylene was used in ammo manufacturing.

Here's a better meme ...

5116bec4cb35a66af6155cc93285e9cd.jpg

Yeah but why the torque wrenches? You don't give a fuck about torque specs when you're trying un-stuck a nut or bolt.

Wrench-Extender-Features.jpg

What you want is the right box-end and a cheater bar.

yjpnlz10edwxuapzwv8l.png

And if that don't work, what you want is a breaker bar.

81OEIknl4HL._SX425_.jpg

... what you want is a slugging wrench.

From there, you precede to BF hammers.

The problem with using a smoke wrench, which I admit that I have resorted to once in a while, is the collateral damage.  Might as well use some detcord.

Note- if one keeps slugging wrenches in ones' tool box, do not pull them out while in the process of bragging about what a highly trained fine precision mechanic one is.

- DSK

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Aren't temps and pressures a lot higher in a rifle?

high enough that early versions (2014) of the product in the OP were unreloadable because of damage. I can see why militarys might be interested in the product from a resource perspective, unsure why any civilians would GAF.

8 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yeah but why the torque wrenches? You don't give a fuck about torque specs when you're trying un-stuck a nut or bolt.

Wrench-Extender-Features.jpg

What you want is the right box-end and a cheater bar.

yjpnlz10edwxuapzwv8l.png

And if that don't work, what you want is a breaker bar.

81OEIknl4HL._SX425_.jpg

... what you want is a slugging wrench.

From there, you precede to BF hammers.

The problem with using a smoke wrench, which I admit that I have resorted to once in a while, is the collateral damage.  Might as well use some detcord.

Note- if one keeps slugging wrenches in ones' tool box, do not pull them out while in the process of bragging about what a highly trained fine precision mechanic one is.

- DSK

It looked like a cheater or a breaker bar on my phone, but yeah, it seems to be a torque wrench.

Question ... which is longer thus can apply more leverage? Cheater or a breaker bar? I always thought that my cheater is the shorter one, and the breaker bar is the longer one. And confession ... I only use a torque wrench bolting things to the engine block that can potentially warp the block, everything else is "good-and-tight-but-not-too-tight.

Is that breaker bar in your photo bent? I have a small Snap-on box wrench, got from my uncle, its gently bent in the middle at about 30-degrees. I've never actually needed it, but it's such a gorgeous piece of machining, I keep hoping that someday, i'm going to have some hard-to-reach Imperial bolt, and the placement will defeat all my box wrenches and tools, and then that little weird box wrench saves the day.

41 minutes ago, mikewof said:

It looked like a cheater or a breaker bar on my phone, but yeah, it seems to be a torque wrench.

Question ... which is longer thus can apply more leverage? Cheater or a breaker bar? I always thought that my cheater is the shorter one, and the breaker bar is the longer one. And confession ... I only use a torque wrench bolting things to the engine block that can potentially warp the block, everything else is "good-and-tight-but-not-too-tight.

Is that breaker bar in your photo bent? I have a small Snap-on box wrench, got from my uncle, its gently bent in the middle at about 30-degrees. I've never actually needed it, but it's such a gorgeous piece of machining, I keep hoping that someday, i'm going to have some hard-to-reach Imperial bolt, and the placement will defeat all my box wrenches and tools, and then that little weird box wrench saves the day.

Mike, you could actually look at a pic on your computer, instead of asking for a detailed description. That's what the internets is for.

5 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Mike, you could actually look at a pic on your computer, instead of asking for a detailed description. That's what the internets is for.

Is thats what the internets is for Wayne?

I did that the second time, I can see that his photo says "breaker bar" but I've heard good mechanics call the longer one the cheater. So they go from regular socket to breaker to cheater. I usually think of a breaker as two feet or longer.

My old man never had a purpose-made breaker. He used something called a "persuader," which was just a length of steel pipe that went over the handle of his beefiest socket wrench and provided the extra leverage. I don't know what the official name of that piece of pipe is, but I like persuader, it suggests something far more delicate than pounding on that thing with small sledge.

1 minute ago, mikewof said:

Is thats what the internets is for Wayne?

I did that the second time, I can see that his photo says "breaker bar" but I've heard good mechanics call the longer one the cheater. So they go from regular socket to breaker to cheater. I usually think of a breaker as two feet or longer.

My old man never had a purpose-made breaker. He used something called a "persuader," which was just a length of steel pipe that went over the handle of his beefiest socket wrench and provided the extra leverage. I don't know what the official name of that piece of pipe is, but I like persuader, it suggests something far more delicate than pounding on that thing with small sledge.

Yes, I vividly remember jumping on a 2X4 that was clamped to a 3' piece of pipe that was on a lug wrench trying to get a nut off the trailer wheel. Exploded one lug wrench and a socket. Just minutes after that, someone mentioned that their '54 Dodge or some such had reverse thread on the left side. It actually came off pretty easy after that.

• Like 3