Sign in to follow this  
Plenipotentiary Tom

Victory for Vegans

Recommended Posts

Victory for Vegans

Quote

...Like every state, Mississippi has for decades had laws prohibiting misleading labels. Nonetheless, at the request of the Mississippi Cattlemen’s Association, the Mississippi Legislature passed a law earlier this year that banned any use of meat product terms to describe plant-based foods, even when the label is not misleading. The ban took effect on July 1. Also on July 1, the Mississippi Department of Agriculture proposed regulations that would apply the ban not only to meat food terms (like burgers and hot dogs) but also to any “word or phrase that is customarily associated with a meat or a meat food product.”...

Cowboy censorship is about as tasty as any other flavor to me.
 

Quote

 

That same day, Upton’s Naturals and PBFA filed the First Amendment lawsuit. In response to the lawsuit, the Mississippi Department of Agriculture withdrew its proposed regulation and replaced it with a new proposed regulation. Under the new regulation, which officially took effect today, plant-based foods will not be considered to be labeled as a “meat” or “meat food product” if their label also describes the food as: “meat-free,” “meatless,” “plant-based,” “vegetarian” “vegan” or uses any other comparable terms.

“This is a total victory,” said Libertarian Nutjob Senior Attorney Justin Pearson, who served as the lead attorney for the challengers. “Our clients simply wanted to continue using clear labels with the terms consumers understand best. In response to our lawsuit, the Mississippi Department of Agriculture has done the right thing, so there is no need to move forward with the lawsuit.”

 

OK, so I might have edited that just a bit to help conform to this forum's culture. I suppose I should apologize on behalf of my elk for yet another assault on the American way of life.

Quote

“We were proud to take up this fight not just for our own company but for the many plant-based food entrepreneurs providing meat alternatives nationwide,” said Dan Staackmann, founder and owner of Upton’s Naturals. “Our labels have always made it clear that our foods are 100% vegan. We have a First Amendment right to use common terms like ‘bacon’ and ‘burger’ and we’re prepared to fight for that right in any other state that passes anti-competitive laws being pushed by the meat industry.”

Pleased as usual at this and any other exercise of corporate first amendment rights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

OK, so I might have edited that just a bit to help conform to this forum's culture. I suppose I should apologize on behalf of my elk for yet another assault on the American way of life.

Quote

“We were proud to take up this fight not just for our own company but for the many plant-based food entrepreneurs providing meat alternatives nationwide,” said Dan Staackmann, founder and owner of Upton’s Naturals. “Our labels have always made it clear that our foods are 100% vegan. We have a First Amendment right to use common terms like ‘bacon’ and ‘burger’ and we’re prepared to fight for that right in any other state that passes anti-competitive laws being pushed by the meat industry.”

Pleased as usual at this and any other exercise of corporate first amendment rights.

 

I wonder how close something has to actually be to 'bacon' to be able to use that term.  I've had some 'turkey bacon' that tasted pretty much like printing out a picture of bacon on cardboard stock.  Can I call whatever I want "bacon' since it's a common term?   Probably not :)

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

 

I wonder how close something has to actually be to 'bacon' to be able to use that term.  I've had some 'turkey bacon' that tasted pretty much like printing out a picture of bacon on cardboard stock.  Can I call whatever I want "bacon' since it's a common term?   Probably not :)

To me it depends whether it's misleading.

Quote

Like every state, Mississippi has for decades had laws prohibiting misleading labels.

One of the kinds of censorship that I actually approve.

If I buy a product that says only that it's bacon and it doesn't consist mostly of piggy parts and salt, I'm going to be a very disappointed consumer who feels misled. But if it says "turkey bacon" or "vegan bacon" that's not misleading at all. Just a warning to people like me not to buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

To me it depends whether it's misleading.

One of the kinds of censorship that I actually approve.

If I buy a product that says only that it's bacon and it doesn't consist mostly of piggy parts and salt, I'm going to be a very disappointed consumer who feels misled. But if it says "turkey bacon" or "vegan bacon" that's not misleading at all. Just a warning to people like me not to buy it.

I remember the first time I ran into one of those 'boil in bag' packs that was proudly labeled "Gravy with chicken".  I do find the 'Natural Peanut Butter - 'may contain nuts'" to be amusing as well.

I think it was Marie Calender's that got in trouble for having a "Light Banana Cream Pie" that was the exact same calorie content as their normal Banana Cream Pie per serving but came in an 8 ounce pie form instead of a 10 ounce pie form - it weighted less.  I thought that was pretty funny.

Proof that free speech should have limits I guess :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cmilliken said:

 

I wonder how close something has to actually be to 'bacon' to be able to use that term.  I've had some 'turkey bacon' that tasted pretty much like printing out a picture of bacon on cardboard stock.  Can I call whatever I want "bacon' since it's a common term?   Probably not :)

 

 

I've had some turkey bacon that was pretty good. Not that it would be mistaken for real bacon, or wrapped around filet mignon, but it tasted good.

I would assume "bacon" in this sense to be thin strip of salty, fatty, meat. There's venison sausage & bacon too, which is kind of a waste since deer don't have jowls.....

- DSK

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed :)  some of it is actually pretty good.  I think 'faux bacon' is much like 'real bacon' - you taste what you pay for!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cmilliken said:

I remember the first time I ran into one of those 'boil in bag' packs that was proudly labeled "Gravy with chicken". 

The same people that came up with "Beans with pork"?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this