Sign in to follow this  
spankoka

Can new NAFTA get done in this atmosphere?

...or do we just stumble along under old NAFTA?

15 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Trumps done dude.

It's not as if Democrats are against NAFTA, and I still don't see how pro-impeachment people get the numbers they need in the Senate. 

No one is clamoring for a new NAFTA.  Trump fucked up as usual with this in his quixotic anti Obama agenda.  He’s wounded and Dems are not going to help him out.  Regardless of impeachment he’s got one year to go.  Wait the Fat Bastard out.

• Like 2

Curiosity?   Were any of the revisions bad?  The business shows seemed to think it was pretty much the same agreement with a few quarter century updates.    The old one had its issues, but uncertainty is surely worse from a business perspective.  Pretending politicians of either party cared about such things.   

1 hour ago, spankoka said:

It's not as if Democrats are against NAFTA, and I still don't see how pro-impeachment people get the numbers they need in the Senate. 

The Trump "defense" against impeachment is he's a weak incompetent President. That status is imo true whether or not he's impeached. That is unlikely to change if he's elected for a second term absent some massive external event which, imo, is almost certain to make Trump look craven and incompetent.

What the "gridlock is good" fuckwhits don't understand is gridlock is why they get a Patriot Act and Obamacare shoved up their tomballs ass. Because gridlock doesn't survive in perpetuity. But then I don't see Trump as anything more than a grifting motherfucker tossing out bones to the rightwing they think they'll be able to keep while pissing off everyone who isn't getting a bone.

Anyways - what's good about the "new" NAFTA? What does it solve? Who wants it?

The differences between NAFTA and USMCA are trivial. The changes to automobile policy are so minor as to be avoided by all parties with minor accounting changes. Regulating currency policy? WTF?!? That is a joke. Cannot be done. A few dairy farmers might sell a tiny bit more milk in Canada. 

Zero cabinet members wanted the changes or gave a shit.

Not even worth the name change. So trivial that CA and M passed it without any serious discussion.

100% just a feeble effort to fulfill one Trump campaign promise.

That's completely untrue - NAFTA was a terrible, horrible, disgraceful deal - the worst deal in history and Trump singlehandedly changed it into the best, the greatest deal in history.

Not passing is not just unfair, it is SO unfair.

I suppose getting USMCA done removes any uncertainty about the North American  trade regime going forward. Hence Canada and Mexico just want to get it done, and then Trump will presumably have to think whatever USMCA does is a good thing and move on to other trade disputes. 

I suppose the worst case scenario is Pelosi holds up USMCA to deny Trump something he wants, and then a spiteful Trump sends out the six months notice letters.  I am not so sure that Ms. Warren has a deep commitment to liberal trade, so that is another reason to move forward right now. 

Fair point, but if and when USMCA goes through-Trump will have to be proud of his baby. 

9 minutes ago, spankoka said:

Fair point, but if and when USMCA goes through-Trump will have to be proud of his baby. 

Not really,   He already tried to one up it.    I don’t think he ever considers a deal done,   He has a short attention span, but there’s always potential to sweeten the pie or extort new terms.   It doesn’t fit his claimed strategy in Art of the Deal, but it fits his observed modern behavior, 

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/04/mexico-canada-trump-1505291

This is the Democrats’ playbook as first revealed by the Clinton Impeachment strategy: show the public you are hard at work on the peoples’ business while the mayhem distracts others. 

It helps retain a patina of competence despite the whirlwind of other news. Let amateurs get distracted and spitting mad. Pelosi is a pro and is on task. 

Its just walking while chewing gum. A party you can trust to get work done while simultaneously protecting the Constitution.