Hey just thought I’d start this up for information sharing and advice . I’m in Hervey Bay QLD doing a quick re-fit on this Tri I’ve picked up recently .  As far as I know it was Designed and built built in Kangaroo Island in South Australia in the late 80s early 90s by a guy named Philip or Phil .? She will be a minimalist Liveaboard Fast cruiser /racer for the south-east Queensland coast anyone that knows the area knows the shallow draft is everything around here. Ideally there will be no fuel on board whatsoever  running electric motor With 24 V solar system . If anyone has a decent graphic design system on the computer feel free to play around with my mockup of the boat signage Polynesian theme black lettering  I’m happy to pay for the Design and Vinyl . 

6287B5FA-61FD-45DE-A813-2869E790371A.jpeg

I saw her swinging on the mooring KI a few years back, nice lines. A bit of 075 Grainger/ Kendrick with updated beams. Should be a great project, please keep us posted.

Peter

On 11/18/2019 at 11:10 PM, plywoodboy said:

I saw her swinging on the mooring KI a few years back, nice lines. A bit of 075 Grainger/ Kendrick with updated beams. Should be a great project, please keep us posted.

Peter

Yer mate will do ,found these picks online ... last owner must have raised the  water line a few inches original copper coat has Her amas just kissing the water ... she’s well built Nice neat work and kept light . 

Anyone with real world experience on trimaran understand a wire tension. This boat is set up with 4 understate wires From beam endstwo main hull water line -And to running from forward beam and up to forstay bow area .Right now I’m assuming these are not tension as such just set to Stiffen the boat And keep everything located correctly for want of a better word. Rig has no diamonds stays basically a 3 stay rig With lowers running back to the same location On the AMAs .I will add a baby stayTo these lowers to assist with mast band and heavy weather sailing when reefed... Am I missing anything any help will be appreciated

I assume the wire from front beams to the bow are purely for the net..... waterstays tension from the outboard beam end to waterline is very important and needs to help suppport / stop the beams from flexing up when loaded.... every design would be different on settings but should be researched

Is the rig rotating...?

7 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

I assume the wire from front beams to the bow are purely for the net..... waterstays tension from the outboard beam end to waterline is very important and needs to help suppport / stop the beams from flexing up when loaded.... every design would be different on settings but should be researched

Is the rig rotating...?

Hey mate not rotating ..... yer I have Done a bit of research and came up with some massive numbers on Tensions——- example the farrier 31 Quotes 2500 KG on the cap shrouds With a reminder not to leave like that if left unattended as you will bend the boat.I’ve bought this boat disassembled and never had it assembled so don’t have a starting point Other than the original stainless rigging which will be used at first just to assemble it and then replaced with Synthetic .... Just on that front beam to bow wire it does seem quite substantial 

4 minutes ago, Skullduggerydave said:

Hey mate not rotating ..... yer I have Done a bit of research and came up with some massive numbers on Tensions——- example the farrier 31 Quotes 2500 KG on the cap shrouds With a reminder not to leave like that if left unattended as you will bend the boat.I’ve bought this boat disassembled and never had it assembled so don’t have a starting point Other than the original stainless rigging which will be used at first just to assemble it and then replaced with Synthetic .... Just on that front beam to bow wire it does seem quite substantial 

93DDA833-3354-41E7-B7E4-622ADE01A36F.jpeg

C9634A29-3D5C-4565-B7AE-B0BF4094E56E.jpeg

9D5EDA74-059B-4CAF-BCBE-3A066746DA67.jpeg

Also there is no folding system rather the beams go into sockets or troughs you may call them and it appears just touching each other when rigged up located by two bolts at the in very inboard end of the beam

Beam sockets are common... looks ok... that bow fitting is substantial which I've not seen... Many good minds here will likely know.. best of luck

17 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Beam sockets are common... looks ok... that bow fitting is substantial which I've not seen... Many good minds here will likely know.. best of luck

Thanks mate  Yeah I know the f31 runs  wire forward that being for collision  Impact.... to avoid major  damage to the expensive folding system . Looks like my best reference point is probably the Buccaneer 24/28 The design had non adjustable flat stainless  water stay  but many change them to wires .I  owned a wharram TIKI for years that I stiffened up with spectra lashings cranked up tight as possible And still had way more flex than I wanted .Some of you would even remember the TIKI I often got a GOOD  handicap  so ended up with the shorter cruising  division courses and often was first over the line disappointing quite a few fast multis at the time —— LIVEWIRE ect 

ps As long as there was no windward  work that is LOL 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 10:05 PM, Skullduggerydave said:

F82A8C23-AD4B-46CD-B121-400151631DF7.jpeg

3F46660C-CD92-4FD7-8BF6-26C986DAE25E.png

Cool boat. The bow view looks sort of Seaclipper 28-ish........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jamez said:

Thanks mate yeah she’s a beauty the more I discover about this but the more I like . And with the modern material can now give her a decent chance with some lightweight rigging And a prodder Running a big genacker  !!!!! 

Spent a few hours polishing stainless today. Anyone caught  painting over  fittings should  have there fingers chopped off . Absolutely everything is covered with white  house paint .grrrrrrrr

CED86974-198E-4C9C-A04C-045C7AB9D29D.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Skullduggerydave said:

Spent a few hours polishing stainless today. Anyone caught  painting over  fittings should  have there fingers chopped off . Absolutely everything is covered with white  house paint .grrrrrrrr

Nice work mate. It's a shame more people around here don't have the same respect for older boats. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Thank you. Every owner leaves there signature on a boat good and bad . The original designer builder did a great job then I’d say the second owner showed her some love .Then came the White House paint Ugly oversize extra large forward facing hatch guy  .Lucky for me there was someone before me that  knew what they were doing and striped her back to the hi build so I get the rewarding job of giving her a 2nd birthday 25 ish years after her first . 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Skullduggerydave said:

Who doesn't love the old Wattle Solarguard..... I rolled it one my multis back in the day.... no masking required

18 hours ago, Skullduggerydave said:

Yeah but I was hoping to be in the water for Christmas now I’ll be lucky to make the Brisbane to Gladstan at Easter lol .... 

Welcome to my world... I'll say April for me

Rudder system gives infinite adjustments. The downhaul runs to a jammer with the lower 1/3 drilled out ...Jim brown style!!!! So SHOULD release if grounded ore hits anything . The negative of this system is the tiller moves up and down as well making auto pilot mounts a bit tricky. 

Ps I’m still polishing stainless ;-0

FC95B442-2AC8-4F58-8BF7-A39B0CB4030F.jpeg

B67975CA-8215-4A65-8FD6-E68EA67FF731.png

1B133517-625E-4E46-90AE-50E9F45AC059.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 8:17 AM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Is the rig rotating...?

So unless anyone pulls me up I’m going old school on the water stays 30x5 mm 316 stainless flat bar not adjustable  10 mm ss bolt each end bolting flat to flat ..Set up without the rig tensioned and with the amas flying ——- Buchaneer style 

9 hours ago, Skullduggerydave said:

07AE11BC-1624-4517-B67D-9A78A9E5F15A.png

I would absolutely not add that kind of weight when there is such modern good fiber solutions... It will probably even be cheaper than SS

At worst die form SS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

I would absolutely not add that kind of weight when there is such modern good fiber solutions... It will probably even be cheaper than SS

At worst die form SS

I completely understand what your saying and have struggled with exactly that and this is the only place old schools used at a total of 2 kg each at as low as weight  gets ....about the same as wire as I’m eliminating 1x turnbuckle 2 x shackles . All other rigging will be Synthetic and a huge weight saving overall . Boat will not be trialed regularly  and spending extended periods of time in the water being used positives of this system are no maintenance no retensioning water stays regarding creep no initial setting in of stretch .Much stiffer as it supports in both directions not just one. 

Thanks for your input you are correct Modern is generally better but sometimes so is the KISS theory .... Anyway Christmas is getting closer and she’s not even painted yet need to pull my finger out !!! At least all the Fittings are clean and ready to go back on

• Like 1

Imho water stays in SS like you are considering only work in tension. If they take any load in compression they will fail and have many times. Big dynex is my favourite now, in my F31r reno I have replaced every wire on boat except diamonds and forestay. Big gains, and all it takes is an occasional lashing check. Bobstay, whiskers, float diagonal bracing, net edges, shrouds, shroud tensioners....

Looking forward to seeing your project at Bay to Bay.

Peter h

• Like 2

Ok so that’s 2 out of 2 I’m almost convinced... maybe I am over thinking things and ignoring  KISS .... thanks guys...you  probably just saved me $ as well 

On 11/30/2019 at 5:20 PM, jamez said:

Yeah, but the beams look way better as they are not as boxy as the Seclipper ones...

• Like 1

I like that boat, Dave. Looks like it was well built too. I've done a lot of composite boatbuilding, but my next one will be plywood. I love plywood!

Plywood is the sandwich the provides lasting satisfaction.[must be the miracle fiber W, that keeps us going, or perhaps the 50 years of flexing as if is made].

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

I like that boat, Dave. Looks like it was well built too. I've done a lot of composite boatbuilding, but my next one will be plywood. I love plywood!

Plywood definitely has its place . This boat has lots of flat panel so it would  be  fast to build build with old school plywood construction methods .the main thing I noticed is very few  fittings And the ones it does have have  been well bedded down and sealed.I found zero rot near any fitting on this boat , There was a soft spot in one of the beam sockets and the coinciding beam end .Very easy to repair. She is 30 years old And I’m amazed how light she is . There’s one down South Australia 18 ft partly finished by the same builder it’s on gumtree you probably get it very cheap 

• Like 1

Love following your posts Dave with photos. Certainly an interesting tri - i look forward to seeing it finished if you make the Bay2Bay this year

6 hours ago, rustylaru said:

It must feel very gratifying about now. 

Congratulations.

Yes it does..... thanks - it’s a good example of what can be done  on a budget. most parts were reused .nor glass products were used throughout .surprisingly cheap refit .It’s not finished but really does not have much left to do -small outboard $500 bucks The rigging will be new = Dyneema $300 and some  time .I did get the boat in a strip down condition Unfinished project so that certainly saves a lot of time and gave me pretty much the enjoyable job . 

• Like 1

Just upload them to postimages.org or your favorite web image host and paste the link into a post here. The forum software will display the image. No size limit too.

14 hours ago, Skullduggerydave said:

WTF is with all my capsize Photos feel like I’m jinxing myself before I even get to the water

All good pix for the Bay to Bay handicapper lurking here.....

Boat looks great.  Spearhead is being nice because he needs somewhere to cook his noodles if it rains again.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2019 at 9:06 AM, plywoodboy said:

Spearhead is being nice because he needs somewhere to cook his noodles if it rains again.

Hahaha, Hackett!

There will be three Pulse tri's next year looking for space if it rains......... to cook our noodles.

3 hours ago, SpearHead said:

Hahaha, Hackett!

There will be three Pulse tri's next year looking for space if it rains......... to cook our noodles.

What makes any of you think I have space for any more noodles on my lil boat !!! Lol

Lol

Hey guys just putting it out there I’m doing a  Coxswains nc1 course in Newcastle January 30 to February 3 if anyone can help me with accommodation in that period would be awesome the course is right near the Newcastle cruising yacht club happy to flick some $ ore do some work  I can stay on someone’s boat or couch surf swag in the backyard anything really don’t have a lot of $ Because I own a boat You all know how that is

Latest update very successful splash yesterday she sales well. balanced up nicely .And the best news is there’s another week of light winds to play with her in sandy Straits more photos to come

14 hours ago, Skullduggerydave said:

F1F7CA65-17BC-4605-BA16-B59A3B3C6C59.jpeg

D2D19894-06A5-4661-936E-8647115F240F.png

89525487-0B70-46D6-807E-D63D490D1F7B.png

222D8F3E-8C21-4C95-A788-3E1CB9F91FA1.jpeg

1F7001A7-52B1-4DC3-9ECC-87BDC16D1825.jpeg

Pictures tell a thousand words, but I still want to read 1000 words!

Great looking boat, with a KISS approach!

But looking at the pictures, I wonder if you are from "down under" as your signature suggests, or rather from "on the side over"...

My neck hurts.... :D

5 hours ago, Laurent said:

But looking at the pictures, I wonder if you are from "down under" as your signature suggests, or rather from "on the side over"...

Yeah sorry about that I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to internetting LOL

So very successful launch and sail .....  water line well below that anti-foul line With the amas it’s only just kissing the water . Floats in 20 cm of water so that’s awesome.  

only thing I’m considering changing Would be the cockpit sides drop them down to the beam And create 2  long  seats  as the cockpit feels a bit pokey and you always climbing over something to get in or out

• Like 2

Looks good I think that’s how I’m gonna do my cockpit open the boat up a bit it’s a bit claustrophobic in the cockpit as it is now

4 minutes ago, OldmateFred said:

How well does the electric go?

Its only 12 v 50 pound thrust !!!It’s good For coming and going from the beach etc really simple to use also great for motor sailing Getting In and  out of marinas etc.. 3 knots  boat speed . It will never get the boat off a  lea  shore  or out of trouble And anything above about 15 kn but there is certainly potential the correct way to do it would be just electric power head something like a 8 hp Extra long Yamaha .So yeah I haven’t given up on the idea of no fuel on board but for now the good old Chrysler is a good thing 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 11:55 AM, Laurent said:

Hint: lock page. Turn device not head. 

Awesome Skull

A couple things I would do... For what it's worth

I would add a small prodder for some light air sails. maybe a fold up one

I would find a way to tighten up my nets... I hate sagging nets and they make life hard getting around on

i would add a small hard deck at the rear from the ama (float) to the rear of the cockpit where you now have nets and then remove the cockpit sides.... It will open you cockpit space to double and won't hurt performance... Pick is Jason's Trispirit for effect

Oh and add a stripper pole inside

Tri.jpg

On 3/3/2020 at 12:24 PM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Awesome Skull

A couple things I would do... For what it's worth

I would add a small prodder for some light air sails. maybe a fold up one

I would find a way to tighten up my nets... I hate sagging nets and they make life hard getting around on

i would add a small hard deck at the rear from the ama (float) to the rear of the cockpit where you now have nets and then remove the cockpit sides.... It will open you cockpit space to double and won't hurt performance... Pick is Jason's Trispirit for effect

Oh and add a stripper pole inside

Tri.jpg

Hey Phil.

Hey Phil.

Yes will be doing all of the above Including stripper pole LOL. I have used spirit as an inspiration all along great boat  and a great couple 2 . 

Already have cockpit sides marked out To cut And the best part is the piece I remove becomes the  seat on the opposite side . 

Cockpit seats will be at the current transom height which puts it about halfway up that rear beam so I little bit of protection from the rear beam. 

Just have to stare at it for a few more days before I do the cutting make sure I’ve got it right in my head first lol ... 

Regarding the prodder  just sizing up some spinnakers now and deciding whether to add diamonds and remove the lowers Or add a baby stay that will also give the board some protection from sheets etc getting hooked up having a lot of trouble getting pre bend in mast It  wants to bend the wrong way 

• Like 1

One thing I’m finding interesting is the ability to make the boat self steer by raising and lowering the rudder.1 inch up ore down to change from Lee Helm to whether helm And when you get the sweet spot she will track along beautifully. 

I’m finding the flatbottom not so great for working up wind but awesome of the wind  as expected 

Boat is coming along nicely - good on you !         B);)

What exactly are your findings going upwind ?    

Peter

3 minutes ago, peterbike said:

Boat is coming along nicely - good on you !         B);)

What exactly are your findings going upwind ?    

Peter

G’day Peter yeah just the slamming!!!   slams hard into waves. Being so light  she’s very Waight sensitive ,,, Getting weight forward certainly helps by keeping the bow  down But that’s very hard to do when your in the cockpit  ... Some good looking crew up the front James Wharram  style would be to go And should have that sorted by the Bay to Bay lol