ryecatsailor

Dehler 30 OD no Backstay

The new Dehler 30 OD put out a video of the boat, under full main, jib, and spinnaker moving along nicely.   Question, is that not a lot of sail area for a boat / mast with no back stay?

twin backstays. due to squaretop main., so it has a backstay

OK, stand corrected.  I thought originally they stated this boat would not have running backstays with the carbon mast.   Now looking at more of the test pictures I think am seeing the running backstay.  

You can see the windward backstay is on tight at 7-8 sec mark...

reaching struts? is the leeward one buried in that video? 

2 minutes ago, ryley said:

reaching struts? is the leeward one buried in that video? 

The Dehler folks avoided any ambiguity and just call them outriggers. They are part of the one design features for the boat. Whether the outriggers will be worth the rating hit in handicap racing remains to be seen 

• Like 1

Interesting that in the series on Youtube they're adamant about hanked on jibs, but in Knut's review he's standing on one with a roller furler. Actually two of them.

It's a pretty cool looking boat. The pricing seems not too far off what I'd expect, but the sail inventory is pretty dear.

It tripped me out seeing a Hunter 50 in person as they don't have a backstay. That, and when the owner showed me the aft stateroom berth which converted into a hot tub.

Made my Hallberg-Rassy 33 Mistral seem like tent camping in comparison

https://www.marlow-hunter.com/large-keelboats-40-50-feet/the-50-center-cockpit/

Looks like a cool boat but in Northern Europe we mostly need an irc boat and something tells me this will have crap rating. If I was in the market for a short handed toy I’d just buy a Figaro 2 or 3 instead

4 hours ago, JL92S said:

Looks like a cool boat but in Northern Europe we mostly need an irc boat and something tells me this will have crap rating. If I was in the market for a short handed toy I’d just buy a Figaro 2 or 3 instead

Shame if so - excessive STL, long J, square top main?

Looks like more fun than the IRC competition in this size bracket and was hoping that the game had moved on from the SF 3200 / Corby 29 type shapes.

On 11/29/2019 at 4:01 PM, Snowden said:

Shame if so - excessive STL, long J, square top main?

Looks like more fun than the IRC competition in this size bracket and was hoping that the game had moved on from the SF 3200 / Corby 29 type shapes.

I think it has done. The Corby designs are very different. Narrow hulls, heavy ballast and very anti surfing hull shapes, designed to reach the weather mark first and defend downwind. The 3300 and jpk 1030 is a huge step on and both finished the Fastnet with a faster elapsed time than the Figaro 3s in the race. Whatever the French have got cooking down there on the west coast is pretty serious!

17 hours ago, JL92S said:

I think it has done. The Corby designs are very different. Narrow hulls, heavy ballast and very anti surfing hull shapes, designed to reach the weather mark first and defend downwind. The 3300 and jpk 1030 is a huge step on and both finished the Fastnet with a faster elapsed time than the Figaro 3s in the race. Whatever the French have got cooking down there on the west coast is pretty serious!

Sounds like I need to get some lumps and bumps faired into my Projection then ;-)

7 hours ago, Snowden said:

Sounds like I need to get some lumps and bumps faired into my Projection then ;-)

Come for a spin on Fastrak, those lumps and bumps on the 3300 make her go pretty quick!! She will easily reach past a 3600 or 1080 for a lot less rating!!

• Like 1