Stingray~

INEOS Team GB

ENTZ B1 - Ben and Grant used the last of the pennies to out-bid S&S....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugarscoop said:

So what are they going to sail when the team arrives? 

B1or2 can’t remember if they are taking B1 with them. 

B2 is in a shed in the U.K. currently,

there are things called planes that you put boats on to get them places Quickly 

from arrival to commissioned ready to sail isn’t that big a deal especially if they do it first in the UK then send it on all pre checked and fitted out.

5 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

B1or2 can’t remember if they are taking B1 with them. 

B2 is in a shed in the U.K. currently,

there are things called planes that you put boats on to get them places Quickly 

from arrival to commissioned ready to sail isn’t that big a deal especially if they do it first in the UK then send it on all pre checked and fitted out.

This is patently false... B2 is being delivered by boat... how do I know? I saw it being towed in this morning...

IMG_20200805_073412.jpg.ffea68fbd66dd5fa13bcd90532aac0ff.jpg

:D

32 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

This is patently false... B2 is being delivered by boat... how do I know? I saw it being towed in this morning...

IMG_20200805_073412.jpg.ffea68fbd66dd5fa13bcd90532aac0ff.jpg

:D

Looks like they are going to take the record off the kiwis for the longest  sea Voyage for an ac75 ;-) 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Yes, steel rather than carbon this time too. 

I heard they recommissioned the Phoenix Caisson in Langstone

Don't be ridiculous, anyone can see that isn't B2. This is it being shipped. As you can see,only minor changes from B1

749px-A_section_of_the_superstructure_fo

• Like 2

Outakes:

• Sailing for two more weeks.
  • Second boat shipped in September.
  • Sailing early October.
  • Boat 2 is a considerable development on B1.  Rita 1 is obviously a pig.

5 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Don't be ridiculous, anyone can see that isn't B2. This is it being shipped. As you can see,only minor changes from B1

749px-A_section_of_the_superstructure_fo

As someone who has relentlessly and joyfully bagged on Ben and his boxboat, I have to say this is for sure an aesthetic improvement. My apologies, Sir.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RMac said:

As someone who has relentlessly and joyfully bagged on Ben and his boxboat, I have to say this is for sure an aesthetic improvement. My apologies, Sir.

It's pretty clear to me that his design team is unable to think outside the box. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, atwinda said:

It's pretty clear to me that his design team is unable to think outside the box. 

Yes, but there’s a lot boxes, that one on the top right looks a little different to me. From on a phone, anyway..

4 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Outakes:

• Sailing for two more weeks.
  • Second boat shipped in September.
  • Sailing early October.

Pretty fast for a pig yesterday. AIS turned off, RIB's struggling to keep up.

2 hours ago, chesirecat said:

Pretty fast for a pig yesterday. AIS turned off, RIB's struggling to keep up.

Slow ribs. 

7 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Any team who's B2 isn't a considerable development of their B1 has wasted the last 12 months. They should all be pigs in comparison.

The interesting part will be to see which bits stay the same or are refined and which get copied from other teams. The whole package has to work together, so it's not just a simple case of copying features.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Slow ribs. 

Yep

"Supporting the new AC75 race boat will be the 11.6m Ribquest Velocity, weighing 3.5 tonnes and capable of speeds in excess of 60 knots powered by its three BF250 Honda Marine Outboards.eek.gif

“This is the first support boat for the race boat, it’s going to get used for any close quarter manoeuvres, coming in and out of the harbour and also for any on the water emergencies,” explained Jake Bishop, support fleet manager at INEOS Team UK. “The new America’s Cup boat is going to be reaching between 50 and 60 knots so for these support boats we should be seeing 60 plus knots which should enable us to keep up with them.

"

RobG said what I was going to about the boat evolution and relative pig like qualities of all the teams boats. Thank you 

yes ben said 50 but as he didn’t have a seagull or quote VMG he must be lying.. 

the velocity ribs, they have a longer passenger version that does 70kts for passenger rides up in north wales. the team boats are a meter shorter and a different deck layout with the same engine set up. They aint slow. 

25 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

^

62767D67-9BC8-4527-9DC8-04FEB91CAEAB.jpeg

You've been to Malibu?

13 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

You've been to Malibu?

No, but I’m guessing that Nick Holroyd has?

41 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

No, but I’m guessing that Nick Holroyd has?

Looking at the Frackers design Nick was inspired by his pair of VELVET JAG - MENS RETRO MOD SNAKESKIN PRINT VELVET WINKLEPICKERS IN BLACK.

9050C1BA-AD0F-47F6-BC25-3E57F7D540F5.thumb.jpeg.80eb232dadc3329d2b6b40507507f75a.jpeg

26 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Wind Was averaging 9-12 kts today 

According to BBC South 18.30 its  the penultimate day before they pack up

According to people on here they are barely sailing, I know B2 is close to delivery though, would be surprised if they have to strip out B1 to get B2 com commissioned  as it leaves them with down time swapping over.

looking forward to how much smaller it’s going to be 

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Looking at the Frackers design Nick was inspired by his pair of VELVET JAG - MENS RETRO MOD SNAKESKIN PRINT VELVET WINKLEPICKERS IN BLACK.

9050C1BA-AD0F-47F6-BC25-3E57F7D540F5.thumb.jpeg.80eb232dadc3329d2b6b40507507f75a.jpeg

Much better!

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

…WINKLEPICKERS IN BLACK.

Winklepickers, or winkle pickers, are a style of shoe or boot worn from the 1950s onward by British rock and roll fans. The feature that gives both the boot and shoe their name is the very sharp and long pointed toe, reminiscent of medieval footwear and approximately the same as the long pointed toes on some women's high-fashion shoes and boots in the 2000s.

The extremely pointed toe was called the winkle picker because in England periwinkle snails, or winkles, are a popular seaside snack which is eaten using a pin or other pointed object to extract the soft parts out of the coiled shell carefully, hence the phrase: "to winkle something out", and based on that, winklepickers became a humorous name for shoes with a very pointed tip. Other countries had other humorous names, e.g. in Norway and Sweden they were called myggjagere/myggjagare, literally "Mosquito chasers". They are still popular in the raggare and rockabilly subcultures. In some parts of the U.S. they are called "roach stompers."
Wikipedia: Winklepicker

May "mozzie chaser" will stick?

Inevitably there is now community transmission. With Auckland going to Level 3 do they abort moving. The whole AC is now at risk especially if LR might not be let in.

1 hour ago, chesirecat said:

Inevitably there is now community transmission. With Auckland going to Level 3 do they abort moving. The whole AC is now at risk especially if LR might not be let in.

????

It is for 3 days, as it stands,  And I hope they find no more cases so it can be lifted again.

We do not want to follow Melbourne into the chaos of loose lockdown !  But we might be on our way?

There has always been the high probability that there were asymptomatic infected carriers in the community who had not been tested/detected. I believe we'll now see a spike in people queuing up to get tested, putting paid to the complacency that crept in since we moved to Level-1.

We'll also now see a hardening of attitudes towards people in quarantine not observing the rules, and high-risk people in the community not observing the Level-3 obligations.

And btw, AC36 is most definitely NOT at risk. It'll be held as scheduled in March 2021.

34 minutes ago, Indio said:

And btw, AC36 is most definitely NOT at risk. It'll be held as scheduled in March 2021.

You can bet AM are now very glad they're in Auckland.

8 hours ago, Indio said:

There has always been the high probability that there were asymptomatic infected carriers in the community who had not been tested/detected.

most money is on something less innocent than that

14 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

Oh really?? Please enlighten us...

20 minutes ago, Indio said:

Oh really?? Please enlighten us...

ok

12 hours ago, JonRowe said:

You can bet AM are now very glad they're in Auckland.

Part of "the fog of war" this cycle is getting in spades. Not much in front of the courts, but the evil bug makes up for that. 

No comments? His description of the extensive computer-control goes past what some of what we’ve heard so far, that part is interesting too. 

• Like 1

Clearly they are cheating... 

it’s all hemp lines, wool tell tales, a tot of rum and a sextant on the other boats... 

6 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

No comments? His description of the extensive computer-control goes past what some of what we’ve heard so far, that part is interesting too. 

There are a few observations but interesting similies to an  Olympic program in terms of developing  v peaking curves and on water training scheds. Not to mention African swallows and witch weighing and the like.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Clearly they are cheating... 

it’s all hemp lines, wool tell tales, a tot of rum and a sextant on the other boats... 

You forgot the trailing logs....

On 8/14/2020 at 1:19 PM, Stingray~ said:

Very nice insider look at the Pom's program.   A good find. We need more informative, well-written pieces like this to better understand the game.

On 8/14/2020 at 1:19 PM, Stingray~ said:

You are truly a legend in your own mind spinbot.

^ Looks good and seems fast at least, so probably a better starting point for B2!?

Dutch designer? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

5133033058_83469b6dd3_b.thumb.jpg.4a6b57eb734016e21585edfca4b54c8e.jpg

Yesss..yessss... feel the hate flow through you.

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Dutch designer? 

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

302C1EF8-2506-43FB-A7F4-E3C5C3E311ED.thumb.jpeg.04723e50bd45240452aea2e592ccf492.jpeg

No wooden shoes!

Wooden head alright, and woodn't listen, afaik.

Structural designer who has gone a long way since they pulled him out of the Dutch polder clay.

16 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Dressed like a dyke

Don't think you're allowed to say that anymore, Stinger. Did you mean queer, non-binary, or the thing you put your finer in....no wait.

43 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Don't think you're allowed to say that anymore, Stinger. Did you mean queer, non-binary, or the thing you put your finer in....no wait.

:) Warmest weekend of the year around here, and yes there’s a lot of chilled beer. How do you spell the Dutch dykes, is it ‘dikes’ then? 

Dirk K is an extremely smart AC designer, on par with Bernasconi and others IMO. It’s no wonder Grant S chose him the lead the INEOS Design Team. Wooden shoes or not! 

Fun pic above. 

I wonder when the other shoe will drop?

24 minutes ago, hoom said:

I wonder when the other shoe will drop?

:D Way to ‘clog’ up the thread

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Dirk K is an extremely smart AC designer, on par with Bernasconi and others IMO. It’s no wonder Grant S chose him the lead the INEOS Design Team. Wooden shoes or not! 

Last time I looked the head of the INEOS design team was Nick Holroyd, former ETNZ chief designer.

What foil section is he holding though? The scale and structure and asymmetry rule out a few things. AC33 boards? Non sailing?

5 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Dutch designer? 

I'm not convinced that B2’s foil arms conform to the rules :ph34r:

61672DDD-EFF6-436A-955C-AB8031891495.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, accnick said:

Last time I looked the head of the INEOS design team was Nick Holroyd, former ETNZ chief designer.

Right, thanks.

Still, INEOS has a very formidable design team, Dirk among the shoe-in’s.. 

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

Still, INEOS has a very formidable design team, Dirk among the shoe-in’s.. 

Um?  A shoo-in,  'cos he has his foot in the door!

13 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

Um?  A shoo-in,  'cos he has his foot in the door!

Better than in his mouth, probably? :)

On 8/16/2020 at 1:14 AM, buckdouger said:

What foil section is he holding though? The scale and structure and asymmetry rule out a few things. AC33 boards? Non sailing?

Asymmetry is from the center of the wing where the arm joins, each side must be symmetrical.

The ac75 foils have flaps on them so if your interpretation was to be applied  none of them would be compliant. 

On 8/16/2020 at 11:35 AM, Stingray~ said:

Don't mind spinray. He's actually on glue. But it's fun, until your nostrils stick together.

6 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Asymmetry is from the center of the wing where the arm joins, each side must be symmetrical.

The ac75 foils have flaps on them so if your interpretation was to be applied  none of them would be compliant. 

I've read your post a few times, and I can't see how to make sense of it. The picture isn't related to an AC75, it's from an article from 2013.

So, let me restate the question: Is the scale, assymmetry, and structure (or lack of) of this section from something in past cycles of the AC, or is it non-sailing?

^ Doug Lord holding a rib from his new fire bazooka wing sail equipped 1/8 scale f50.

• Like 3

What did you translate it from when it was already in English? 

seems like fuckery for the sake of fuckery

40 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

What did you translate it from when it was already in English? 

seems like fuckery for the sake of fuckery

The original English link is above. The French version may have been a Google Translation from English to French, and then my link a translation from there back to English. So anyway, use the English original :) 

You are welcome, cheers. 

4 hours ago, JJD said:

Apparently. All those exotic custom additive titanium stuff going in.

https://www.sailweb.co.uk/2020/08/18/new-ineos-ac75-hull-moved-to-portsmouth-base/

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 7:27 AM, JALhazmat said:

RobG said what I was going to about the boat evolution and relative pig like qualities of all the teams boats. Thank you 

yes ben said 50 but as he didn’t have a seagull or quote VMG he must be lying.. 

the velocity ribs, they have a longer passenger version that does 70kts for passenger rides up in north wales. the team boats are a meter shorter and a different deck layout with the same engine set up. They aint slow. 

They also have not existed since returning to our sunny shores... Have you seen anything other than the old fleet of Scorpion and the Catalyst in the recent content?

Boat 1 stripped and shipped

Boat 2 in the shed

14 minutes ago, Racing Fast said:

They also have not existed since returning to our sunny shores... Have you seen anything other than the old fleet of Scorpion and the Catalyst in the recent content?

Boat 1 stripped and shipped

Boat 2 in the shed

Keep up, quoting me from the start of last month? And trying to score points off it. Jeez 

does this now mean your lodger is moving out and off to NZ or did they get the flick /leave as the hated it so much as you kept telling us? 

2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Not saying anything.. 

Spoil sport!

If this is B2 then it seems we still have a lower foredeck and raised sides but with a taper towards the transom...

Can't see much detail on the hull to speculate about a bustle.

INEOS B2.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, barfy said:

^ yellow lines out already!!!

Not gonna lie, was pretty stoked to get the first yellow lines for a B2...

• Like 8