Stingray~

INEOS Team GB

30 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Maybe something like this tomorrow will tell.

94179D09-0852-4F62-9905-535D28C09DCF.png.3d68b5ccbb10ea0a659358e1578053bb.png

Funny you should show this, because I had seen an images like this  before, but my slow old brain couldn’t place where. Then you show me an Imoca boat. Hit  palm of hand onto forehead ......”of course “ 

Your 100% correct ..Is this Hugo  Boss ?

26 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Funny you should show this, because I had seen an images like this  before, but my slow old brain couldn’t place where. Then you show me an Imoca boat. Hit  palm of hand onto forehead ......”of course “ 

Your 100% correct ..Is this Hugo  Boss ?

A56614B2-0F61-4CBC-9073-31D6AD0BEF52.thumb.jpeg.e6f02765dc2085c25d4918ea822f1bc3.jpeg

Guillaume Verdier TNZ principle designer through VPLP would of had some input so did the Tongans.

5B8EB556-BEA4-4F70-9801-646B4A7879A9.thumb.jpeg.2cc25ce511967d79f602ce2ee80e43fb.jpeg

Wonder how close the boats will get to this?

23013fc5f6c8bb828ee176f235f2d44f.jpg

She certainly is one fine looking boat!

8 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

The angled chine from the deck downwards is making an appearance 

Where exactly.

C216C402-0525-4653-9136-470134086F3E.thumb.jpeg.a537a5b1f86e62f543f7c1d63156d203.jpeg

E29F1026-3720-4190-8038-437739213C55.jpeg.273e66481aa3ae86d95ff9e6645b3677.jpeg

On the INEOS boat.. 

for clarity maybe I should have said will make an appearance? 

3 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

On the INEOS boat.. 

for clarity maybe I should have said will make an appearance? 

Is that like possibly.

It’s like “my sources say” or so I hear but more reliable 

mainly because it’s visible in the shots of B2

3 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

It’s like “my sources say” or so I hear but more reliable 

mainly because it’s visible in the shots of B2

Let’s see what tomorrow holds.

3 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Let’s see what tomorrow holds.

Wheat kings and pretty things..

• Like 2

19 hours ago, atwinda said:

Is that "red tarp" an old ETNZ IACC or TP52 spinnaker?

Certainly looks a lot like a TNZ IACC sail to me.

On 10/14/2020 at 4:16 AM, Priscilla said:

Crikey that is one fugly looking critter.

DDCB7D2E-FE8A-43AE-9DBE-9E7E698966A7.thumb.jpeg.908e1537129b78c806582fb82bdb2c75.jpeg

It looks like a shoe horn from that angle. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

Did the Brits actually build a building?  Doesn’t look like they are using tents like AM and LR.  I went looking in the venue thread but didn’t find any recent info  

7 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Did the Brits actually build a building?  Doesn’t look like they are using tents like AM and LR.  I went looking in the venue thread but didn’t find any recent info  

Yes they did. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Maybe something like this tomorrow will tell.

94179D09-0852-4F62-9905-535D28C09DCF.png.3d68b5ccbb10ea0a659358e1578053bb.png

I think so too, and if so, the hard corners seem confounding from an aero perspective. 

Was that short video seriously it? I see from the web cam they are splashing it... why didn't they live stream that would be WAY more interesting... useless team.

4 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Was hanging  over the water and now back in cradle
42B6CF08-CB6E-4107-92CE-1CABC06F3AB4.jpeg.92b2f17e575ad3047701997e250addfe.jpeg

The Taniwha must have told them to keep that garbage out of the water.

Bustle skeg combo as predicted ;-) 

and that isn’t something you stick on as an afterthought 

08694949-400B-4158-B023-C657B489B1FD.jpeg

CBA9EF18-AD50-42E3-AB3C-092701B69BDE.jpeg

B21AF98C-7BCE-4CB1-9D31-913A80049AB7.jpeg

2 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

08694949-400B-4158-B023-C657B489B1FD.jpeg

Used to be called a keel back in the old days.

Just now, Priscilla said:

Used to be called a keel back in the old days.

You crack on and tell people what it should be and see where that gets you. 

Also used to be made of lead too.;-) 

10 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

and that isn’t something you stick on as an afterthought

Even if you wish it was. 

• Like 1

If that skeg/keel is in the water when tacking/rounding up its going to mighty hard to overcome its straight line tenancies.   Great to see the B2s we've seen so far are looking pretty different - be interesting to see what works and what doesn't.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Say it isn’t so please....

This’ll cheer you up. Volume up. 

• Like 2

Does this seem like a desperate move to anyone else? Boat 1 was so far off the pace, that you look at the other boats and go "well ya know what, we think we nailed the top sides, but the others have a skeg.. let's go all-in on that and cross our fingers". Again, I feel bad for the boat builders who had to diligently work all those man-hours to carefully make a pile of dog shit.

New boom arrangement, box arrangement that it disappears into is interesting too 

Four ourselves with old kiwi humour ;-)

• Like 2

That fin's a great place to locate a few heavy duty batteries, not to mention a few advantages in its design as well

Shall we do flats or 'Ys'?

Let's do both!

Penny each way - just like the hull...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JALhazmat said:

New boom arrangement, box arrangement that it disappears into is interesting too 

Four ourselves with old kiwi humour ;-)

Think you will find that the box is just a box that comes off when mast is standing.

2 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

That fin's a great place to locate a few heavy duty batteries, not to mention a few advantages in its design as well

More a shoe than a fin.

8C413BE4-1C16-4C29-A382-7D70052A01BF.jpeg.7ea176e2804c3e9b033e5eba3c68ca4a.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Think you will find that the box is just a box that comes off when mast is standing.

Hmm probs, none of have a bloody clue 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Does it float? 

I don't know. She's still firmly on the crane, and she appears to have holes in her ;-)

1140306-01.jpeg

1140305-02.jpeg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Yeah, it's just to protect the mast step and hydraulic connections. It comes off later. We see the other teams do the same.

1140320-01.jpeg

1140321-01.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikenz2 said:

I don't know. She's still firmly on the crane, and she appears to have holes in her ;-)

1140306-01.jpeg

1140305-02.jpeg

Venturi.

6 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

1140306-01.jpeg

1140305-02.jpeg

Wtf is that??

48 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

You did? Citation please ;)

6 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Yeah, it's just to protect the mast step and hydraulic connections. It comes off later. We see the other teams do the same.

1140320-01.jpeg

1140321-01.jpeg

So they now have to start from scratch again with their main Sail development now that they have a boom......oops. Good to see they realised their mistake. Looking forward to seeing Prada’s boom

18 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Straight on port, curled tips on starboard

1140162-02.jpeg

1140155-01.jpeg

Those are some thick as foils sections!! 

7 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

1140321-01.jpeg

What is the weird bump with the orange NO STEP on it? Can see it on the outside too...

5 minutes ago, Nauti Buoy said:

What is the weird bump with the orange NO STEP on it? Can see it on the outside too...

“The weird bump”. Where to start!?

• Like 5

Well they said they they would be radical. So what is the intent of the holes in the skeg/keel/bustle, any ideas?  Seems a very F1 type idea

WTG Brits! You threw the ball...over the horizon. Maybe a moonshot! Going to be fun watching these boats RACE!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, enigmatically2 said:

Well they said they they would be radical. So what is the intent of the holes in the skeg/keel/bustle, any ideas? 

Cockpit drain's

23 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

More a shoe than a fin.

8C413BE4-1C16-4C29-A382-7D70052A01BF.jpeg.7ea176e2804c3e9b033e5eba3c68ca4a.jpeg

Lateral stepped hull design? What some powerboats use to reduce wetted surface area

• Like 1

Its a mish mash of everything they've seen. She has Te Aihe's shape at the stern, with Luna Rossa's keel, widened to more of a Te Aihe bustle shape, she has a deck layout with helmsman aft similar to American Magic, a boom setup similar to Te Aihe, and a bow shape which seems to be an evolution of their first boat.

Its like Holroyd has put all models of all the other boats together, and programmed the computer to combine them all and said, "Right this is what the computer has come up with and this is what we're building.

10 minutes ago, Costro said:

Self tacking jib track

Would seem like a good guess

1140339-01.jpeg

1140338-01.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, uflux said:

So they now have to start from scratch again with their main Sail development now that they have a boom......oops. Good to see they realised their mistake. Looking forward to seeing Prada’s boom

Looks like a non-articulating boom too which is what AM ditched moving from their B1 to B2 (and ETNZ have on B1 already)....

So, at the moment AM have added an articulating boom and moved helm positioned forward whilst INEOS have moved helm position aft and gone with a rigid boom. So much for convergence....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, guser said:

Lateral stepped hull design? What some powerboats use to reduce wetted surface area

Maybe they’re planning not to foil?

7 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Its a mish mash of everything they've seen. 

Shock horror 4yourselves doesnt like RB2. In other news he will like NZ2 and think its fast, even if it turns out identical to RB2

But are you looking at different pictures to everyone else? Who else has that lateral stepping? Who else has those holes? The bustle is nothing like LRs and the foils are different.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Costro said:

Self tacking jib track

Are banned.

I dunno, Amway goes for a Uffa Foxalike, Basher goes for a Phil Bolger box boat

bee-07.jpg

Whats the handbag boat going to be, a pregnant cow IOR shitter?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Its a mish mash of everything they've seen. 

Shock horror 4yourselves doesnt like RB2. In other news he will like NZ2 and think its fast, even if it turns out identical to RB2

But are you looking at different pictures to everyone else? Who else has that lateral stepping? Who else has those holes? The bustle is nothing like LRs and the foils are different.

Wow, looks good to me. Bold design, no half-hearted measures there, and a natural progression of the B1 concept.

That graphic effect around the bow and under-belly does bring back that vision of the stepping lizard, or perhaps an alligator?

1140217-01.jpeg.82e0d822c33612557054707d9d528b38.jpg

• Like 3

So B2 doesn't have the inverse bow like many (including me) thought it would? Certainly much less 'Carrington' that I had expected.

1 hour ago, mikenz2 said:

1140305-02.jpeg

They forgot the bungs.... they are back in the UK?

4 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Wow, looks good to me. Bold design, no half-hearted measures there, and a natural progression of the B1 concept.

That graphic effect around the bow and under-belly does bring back that vision of the stepping lizard, or perhaps an alligator?

There diamonds imbedded in the hull used for fracking in NZ waters

4 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

So B2 doesn't have the inverse bow like many (including me) thought it would? Certainly much less 'Carrington' that I had expected.

1140239-01.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weta27 said:

More like a sperm whale.

• Like 1

8C413BE4-1C16-4C29-A382-7D70052A01BF.jpeg.7ea176e2804c3e9b033e5eba3c68ca4a.jpg.f91a5ddeed016857a93e6d1115dbad54.jpg

This hull profile is super complex, and pretty interesting.

The thick keel reminds me of some large fishing kayaks, and I wonder if when at high speed, the flat bottom almost helps it plane over the water surface during touch down.

The intermediate section still looks like it might be quite suctiony though... will be interesting to see this one perform out in the water.

So hard for me to tell, I am not a yellow line certified reader but the Ineos rudder looks wider than AM.

12 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Camouflages the barnacles they will pick up around the course.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Camouflages the barnacles they will pick up around the course.

It’s the skegness monster 

• Like 2

Some similarities to AM, but a lot of differences.  One boat is all curves and the other all shape edges.

From the initial podcasts discussions with the designers, it was obvious that both UK and AM liked the LR B1 design.  The UK boat pushed it more to an extreme with adding a part of the NZ bustle concepts.  The UK design looks to be a "catch all", throw in the kitchen sink, design that can't be the most aerodynamic.   I mean, wtf are the bumps sticking out to attach the stays?  That has got to disrupt laminar flow....

1 hour ago, mikenz2 said:

Christened and launch without her mast

1140188-01.jpeg

1140182-01.jpeg

1140217-01.jpeg

ETNZ style boom , we know how reliable that is. Look at the deck shape inboard and aft of the helm, draw a straight line from end of traveler to boom rotation point. Guessing thats full out trim. Of note the traveler is full length to boat 1's shorter, so they think they need more travel. Also helped in the jib track shaping with flicking up on end to depower the jib.

Top of the rudder stock is visible, They havent put the fairing on. You can see the titanium top bearing and the for/aft ram is inside that faired part above the bracing arms.

Speaking of rudder: have a look at pic 3 and how far aft of the skeg the rudder is, Maybe getting the blade away from the vortices of the skeg? Rudder depth looks shallow too

Now for the hull shape. What strikes me is the amount of rocker in the hull itself (not bustle). The notion of it being sticky on take off, I don't think so. Draw a line on a 10 degree angle and sit the boat on it You'll see it creates 2 tunnels of concave areas for air to help unstick the hull out of the water, Same as ETNZ boat 1.

As for bulkiness of the hull shape, the best indication of this is by looking at the foil arm rotation points. These points are by rules all in the same place 540 above WL and 2050 off CL.

2 minutes ago, gungabow said:

ETNZ style boom , we know how reliable that is. Look at the deck shape inboard and aft of the helm, draw a straight line from end of traveler to boom rotation point. Guessing thats full out trim. Of note the traveler is full length to boat 1's shorter, so they think they need more travel. Also helped in the jib track shaping with flicking up on end to depower the jib.

Top of the rudder stock is visible, They havent put the fairing on. You can see the titanium top bearing and the for/aft ram is inside that faired part above the bracing arms.

Speaking of rudder: have a look at pic 3 and how far aft of the skeg the rudder is, Maybe getting the blade away from the vortices of the skeg? Rudder depth looks shallow too

Now for the hull shape. What strikes me is the amount of rocker in the hull itself (not bustle). The notion of it being sticky on take off, I don't think so. Draw a line on a 10 degree angle and sit the boat on it You'll see it creates 2 tunnels of concave areas for air to help unstick the hull out of the water, Same as ETNZ boat 1.

As for bulkiness of the hull shape, the best indication of this is by looking at the foil arm rotation points. These points are by rules all in the same place 540 above WL and 2050 off CL.

Be interesting to see how it sits in the water compared to AM and TNZ 

1 minute ago, Raptorsailor said:

really shows the difference and size if the skeg/keel.

Its seem to a combination of ETNZ bustle and Lr skeg