Stingray~

INEOS Team GB

1 hour ago, mikenz2 said:

Rudder:

P1190555.thumb.JPG.ce13ae503540000b65b06d7d78af3464.JPG

P1190556.thumb.JPG.ce8e81afb90780e3cb388a7ef446f1f6.JPG

P1190558.thumb.JPG.40392b1cf31bf62f70c4b327d88a38da.JPG

That rudder could be shaped that way for cavitation reasons, since cavitation can climb up. 

2 hours ago, Liquid said:

Have they achieved any dry turns yet?

Loads. Don't you watch any videos? 

Only boat we haven't seen dry turns from is NZ B2.

[Checks calendar]

[Sighs]

• Like 4

Looks like you don't need much rudder blade when you're going fast.  So, they've married a high speed course blade to a low speed starting blade....or not.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Loads. Don't you watch any videos? 

Only boat we haven't seen dry turns from is NZ B2.

[Checks calendar]

[Sighs]

I do watch...  for as long as I can or until I get bored of FF ing to something happening like a turn.

Lots of touching downs in the last vid

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

That rudder could be shaped that way for cavitation reasons, since cavitation can climb up. 

Water (turbulent water) can run down the leading edge causing stalls,  particularly when trying to bear off with the boat heeled the wrong or not kept perfectly flat. This mod could also increase strength reducing flex.

11 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

Water (turbulent water) can run down the leading edge causing stalls,  particularly when trying to bear off with the boat heeled the wrong or not kept perfectly flat. This mod could also increase strength reducing flex.

From the video I posted just now in the ‘comparison’ thread.

B73C40BB-8ADB-46F0-B5DE-E75880FD6DF6.thumb.jpeg.c9f771cdc0323c2da6af5be0ec05bf26.jpeg

On 11/16/2020 at 12:24 PM, JALhazmat said:

It it me or is impossible to have a clue from isolated video in unknown wind strength, no idea of boat set up or what they are trying to do in a given session.. 

I can’t help but think people just sit on thread for teams they don’t support making random guesses 

Has Ben's rabble managed a quick AC boat yet? Ever?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nutta said:

Cute, last time out only one team did, the winner. Artemis, oracle, TJ, team France, BAR none of them did  so they are all sit slow dogs too.. 

this time? No one knows including you oh so humble kiwis 

20 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Thanks, missed that. Really not a lot of rudder in the water

Don't need a lot at 35 plus knots.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mad said:

Don't need a lot at 35 plus knots.

But you might if you need to maneuver as a low rider in starts. I know it didn't happen often last cycle, but it did happen. Max said big focus on trying to get the other boat to lay down in the starts.

15 hours ago, Nutta said:

Has GBR ever produced a quick AC boat, asking for a friend?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Cute, last time out only one team did, the winner. Artemis, oracle, TJ, team France, BAR none of them did  so they are all sit slow dogs too.. 

this time? No one knows including you oh so humble kiwis 

The BAR boats have a bit of history, designed with the might of F1, Concorde, and the Pope himself, yet have still to produce anything competitive. 

This time, new boats, new venue, maybe they'll do the job right and produce something fast...

27 minutes ago, Nutta said:

The BAR boats have a bit of history, designed with the might of F1, Concorde, and the Pope himself, yet have still to produce anything competitive. 

This time, new boats, new venue, maybe they'll do the job right and produce something fast...

Ben is a bit like a guitarist who can play with the best but can't write his own music- He might have a hit when he can pay the right songwriter, but otherwise, it's just background noise.

17 minutes ago, atwinda said:

Ben is a bit like a guitarist who can play with the best but can't write his own music- He might have a hit when he can pay the right songwriter, but otherwise, it's just background noise.

Ainslie must have an awesome songwriter, considering his staggering number of World Championship and Olympics wins!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Ainslie

4 hours ago, FinnFish said:

Has GBR ever produced a quick AC boat, asking for a friend?

The David Holland 12m White Crusader II was generally considered to be quick although Harold Cudamore used the more conservative first boat until the fleet race which he won easily in the second boat. GBR Challenges Rob Humphreys twin fin was also supposed to show big gains over the first boat but came too late and they never got used to it. 

... but in short the answer is no or else they would have won it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, atwinda said:

What kinda guitar did ETNZ rock up to San Fran with? Because it didn’t matter what anyone did with it it wasn’t closing the show.

In contrast the one Ben was using back then sure worked and played good tune..

point being no one has won the AC driving a slow boat ( speed or vmg for the Bermuda conspriracy pedants) 

4 hours ago, atwinda said:

Classic troll. When was the last time an AC winner was designed by the guy at the helm? 

Some good views of the Rita 2 cockpit - actually looks to be Rita 1 with grinders positioned like that and high bullwarks , so they had gullwing foil like the one on B2 before?

I'm guessing they wouldn't really use any footage from B2 at this stage

image.thumb.png.5af5904805606dcafb48721433d9bf3e.png

Turney-handle thingy

image.thumb.png.e34ce0b772b92858820471914106f255.png

This will be useful!

image.png.cde25850d3a41f4aef54f2aeb9134dd4.png

39kn speed? True wind angle? Foil arm cant angle?

Underwater flap cam!

image.png.9068d27aa229691a270310b3f72f9b4b.png

image.png

They were sailing with that foil for a chunk of the summer in the U.K. 

if data/info is appearing in video it is 100% not going to be relevant to the current state of play.

It’s nice to see but you can’t pull anything  relevant out if it 

video from Justin yesterday  from 5.50  heading towards the bottom mark, then the drag back upwind and even with some odd head up bear away action around the 9.30 mark they still cross infront and then maintain that position with Prada tacking behind at 11.20 

given the assertations of Ineos being shit it adds a little intrigue to the state of play. (usual caveat of no idea of speed set up etc applies)  

29 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

video from Justin yesterday  from 5.50  heading towards the bottom mark, then the drag back upwind and even with some odd head up bear away action around the 9.30 mark they still cross infront and then maintain that position with Prada tacking behind at 11.20 

given the assertations of Ineos being shit it adds a little intrigue to the state of play. (usual caveat of no idea of speed set up etc applies)  

I've tried timing the time gap at the start of the view of the race downwind, and then the time gap on the upwind crossing... and it's difficult

If anything Prada hasn't demolished Ineos, but seemed to me like they reduced the time gap

I wasn’t really sure at what point they had committed and were engaging so from the bottom mark (approximately) is where you can take a reference imho

5 hours ago, MastaVonBlasta said:

Some good views of the Rita 2 cockpit - actually looks to be Rita 1 with grinders positioned like that and high bullwarks , so they had gullwing foil like the one on B2 before?

Surely the give away is that there is no boom? So it has to be Rita 1?

32 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

I wasn’t really sure at what point they had committed and were engaging so from the bottom mark (approximately) is where you can take a reference imho

There's good view of Ineos turning up, rounding an imaginary bottom mark, but then the camera pans away and there's no view of LR making the turn. When they're shown again LR seems to be well settled and going upwind.

I very roughly measured 20s gap at this crossing, but getting even a rough measure at the following 11:39 into the video is nearly impossible as the perspective is different and camera keeps on panning to the right. 

Cross1_T1.thumb.png.0c690841606ca15f3ede0ae763ab0e25.png

Cross1_T2.thumb.png.e69053e345104c733fda3ae0387f5c22.png

The camera movement does make it hard. 

I reckoned that at 6:55 GB goes behind a small mark. LR sails down to the same area, hitting GB's wak and then looks about to round the same mark when the camera cuts away. I reckon she would have gone round it at 7:17- i.e. 22s gap

At the end when LR crosses GB's wake at 10:18, I think that Gb was there at about 10:05. Suggesting that LR has caught up 9s (and done one extra tack)

But whether both were trying to go as fast as they could its hard to tell, certainly as was said GB does seem to pull some odd turns at times. And of course we don't know if they had different wind, or were trying to achieve different things (or had race foils etc). 

And of course since parallax is imaginary, it can be seen that GB absolutely creams LR from 10:27 to 11:15 ;)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

The camera movement does make it hard. 

I reckoned that at 6:55 GB goes behind a small mark. LR sails down to the same area, hitting GB's wak and then looks about to round the same mark when the camera cuts away. I reckon she would have gone round it at 7:17- i.e. 22s gap

At the end when LR crosses GB's wake at 10:18, I think that Gb was there at about 10:05. Suggesting that LR has caught up 9s (and done one extra tack)

But whether both were trying to go as fast as they could its hard to tell, certainly as was said GB does seem to pull some odd turns at times. And of course we don't know if they had different wind, or were trying to achieve different things (or had race foils etc). 

And of course since parallax is imaginary, it can be seen that GB absolutely creams LR from 10:27 to 11:15 ;)

the odd wiggle as Ineos is coming back into the camera almost looks like they are trying to get back closer more in phase buy sacrificing height to get back closer to Prada after they tack  ( and fucks up any guess work of elapsed time annoyingly)

looking again they were heading upwind then went off onto a close reach  to  where they crossed,  could it be likley they wanted to sit above  Prada and see how the new foil works? rather well it seems 

5 hours ago, MastaVonBlasta said:

Turney-handle thingy

image.thumb.png.e34ce0b772b92858820471914106f255.png

This will be useful!

Underwater flap cam!

image.png.9068d27aa229691a270310b3f72f9b4b.png

image.png

The flap cam is cool. In the recent Ineos designer webinar (now-hidden) it was mentioned that the foils both bend and twist under load - by design. 

7 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

looking again they were heading upwind then went off onto a close reach  to  where they crossed,  could it be likley they wanted to sit above  Prada and see how the new foil works? rather well it seems 

Possibly, but I'm not convinced I must admit. 

Barring that possible end bit, in every other video I have seen of any 2 of the 3 "together" it seems that LR is the one trying to get into a comparable position, and AM or GB trying to tack off or whatever to avoid it.

You can of course read completely contrary conclusions onto that, even if true.

Everything I have seen so far still persuades me that the boats are pretty close in speed, certainly closer than any difference we can identify based on the limited evidence. And also close enough that good sailing on the day could be the difference. Or that different boats may be faster in different conditions. We might actually get a sailing race!

6 hours ago, MastaVonBlasta said:

Turney-handle thingy

This will be useful!

Underwater flap cam!

Orange is true wind angle.  Blue is boat speed.  On the bottom chart, red is port cant angle, and green is starboard cant angle.

• Like 2

Here are a couple of more screen shots from the video.

B1 airflow

395684038_ScreenShot2020-11-18at9_56_06AM.thumb.jpg.48d95415e4c62f4fc11deb127d099262.jpg

interesting annotations

704980826_ScreenShot2020-11-18at9_49_23AM.thumb.jpg.fc4d9e6a06a8750470f1844d0d246b87.jpg

screen showing what they highlight when discussing the sailing session.

1338515495_ScreenShot2020-11-18at10_00_54AM.thumb.jpg.104f34138cd6e5ee2121a82682f9faaa.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Ainslie must have an awesome songwriter, considering his staggering number of World Championship and Olympics wins!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Ainslie

No one doubts Sir Ben's OD sailing ability, Max. But the AC is as much a design competition as a sail boat race.

4 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Orange is true wind angle.  Blue is boat speed.  On the bottom chart, red is port cant angle, and green is starboard cant angle.

Interesting behavior on the foils, and I wish we understood more about these boats.  For some reason, when the starboard foil drops down, it has a momentary blip upward.  I don't see the Port one doing the same.  Perhaps experimenting with different acceleration modes?

29 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

No one doubts Sir Ben's OD sailing ability, Max. But the AC is as much a design competition as a sail boat race.

Yeah but NZ 2 is a largely a copy of GB1 and 2 so Ben should start at least equal

(For the avoidance of high blood pressure in some of our kiwi compatriots I will add some emojis B):D:P)

17 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Yeah but NZ 2 is a largely a copy of GB1 and 2 so Ben should start at least equal

(For the avoidance of high blood pressure in some of our kiwi compatriots I will add some emojis B):D:P)

With all the B2s out now, and the relative excitement of all that, it probably pays to remember that the hull shape is going to represent a smaller portion of any race deltas than a number of other factors, like foils, sails, control systems etc.  It's just that the most recognizable "boat" bits are now out and each surprising in their own way

• Like 1

2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

hull shape is to house crew/gear, a bit of bouyancy and reduce aero drag ... they wont be on an equal unless the foils and sails have been copied as well

2 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Interesting behavior on the foils, and I wish we understood more about these boats.  For some reason, when the starboard foil drops down, it has a momentary blip upward.  I don't see the Port one doing the same.  Perhaps experimenting with different acceleration modes?

Running different foils on each side 

3 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Well, I have to agree, ETNZ's B2 is definitely as ugly as Rita2. Let's hope ugly is quick - or we're both fucked. 

23 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

For me, these are the best tacks I've seen Ineos do. Quite early raising of the new windward foil arm. 

American Magic in videos from the last 1-2 weeks seemed to be really good on that. Arm was moving before they even finished turning.

Grinders on Rita 2 are definitely earning their share... There was a video somewhere of one of the grinders, Neil Hunter I think, achieving a 400W average power over 20 minute session... Freaking madness. I average 400W over 10s when getting off the couch and then I feel exhausted...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MastaVonBlasta said:

For me, these are the best tacks I've seen Ineos do. Quite early raising of the new windward foil arm. 

American Magic in videos from the last 1-2 weeks seemed to be really good on that. Arm was moving before they even finished turning.

Grinders on Rita 2 are definitely earning their share... There was a video somewhere of one of the grinders, Neil Hunter I think, achieving a 400W average power over 20 minute session... Freaking madness. I average 400W over 10s when getting off the couch and then I feel exhausted...

His last 20 seconds or so he was up at 470 ish, disgusting behaviour 

26 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Well spotted Jal. Seems further to leeward than when it was seen on AM. Not sure of the significance of that (if any)

No idea either, but it’s apparently a thing now to note ;-) 

• Like 1

It’s a shadow on the spray...

pressure wave... you think they are approaching the sound barrier or something? There’s a lot of nonsense on these threads, but gold footage and bits and pieces are worth trawling through the crap. Many thanks to those who contribute.

• Like 3

The spray on the leeward side of the bow seems to indicate that there is indeed a transfer of air underneath the hull, from windward to leeward due to pressure differences. This explains why all boats are moving to having some kind of blade along the center line, and sail as close as they can to the surface to maintain that pressure difference

23 minutes ago, JamesC said:

It’s a shadow on the spray...

pressure wave... you think they are approaching the sound barrier or something? There’s a lot of nonsense on these threads, but gold footage and bits and pieces are worth trawling through the crap. Many thanks to those who contribute.

Personally I don’t give a fuck what it is or what it’s called or why it’s there.

of everyone I am one of the least prone to hyperbole about any of the boats, so no smarty pants I don’t think they are approaching the sound barrier

it was merely an observation of something that is appearing on at least three boats so far.

thanks to your timely Intervention I am I will now run away and cry in a darkened room. 

oh last thing, where is the spray coming from as there is nothing In contact with the water to create it smart arse. 

13 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Can't be having those tricky Kiwis hogging all the limelight.

So, they can do dry jibes but not so much when tacking...

47 minutes ago, Liquid said:

It’s called the Barnes Wallis manoeuvre.

7FCB31C0-1E99-4193-8866-48970AAF4C8F.thumb.jpeg.d6c8706fa29cfca4c925fd41b886dbe6.jpeg

DF3B9255-0AD8-4CA2-9D4F-C77E2858DA07.thumb.jpeg.63190b75ed07b90333d57a9cfcf7454c.jpeg

8 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Pressure wave off the keel bow arrangement too.

seems a feature of the hard chine, keel thingy 533A65D2-1884-4BEF-9275-A175EB1E77D6.thumb.jpeg.4528e47399611b22c334f4a7e33c78c1.jpeg

F246BEC6-1260-4A1C-83B2-15EAB255C64B.jpeg

4C6AE1C6-570F-433C-B97A-CD5075F93B96.jpeg

Looks very much like a Venturi low pressure system pulling water droplets of the waves. Not a pressure wave as suggested, but basically the exact opposite. As I postulated on the TNZ thread I think this could create downforce as opposed to lift once the boats are flying. And downforce means control. Just watch any forumla 1  race these days.  

12 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

Looks very much like a Venturi low pressure system pulling water droplets of the waves. Not a pressure wave as suggested, but basically the exact opposite. As I postulated on the TNZ thread I think this could create downforce as opposed to lift once the boats are flying. And downforce means control. Just watch any forumla 1  race these days.  

I literally plucked an expression out of thin air to describe what it looks like is happening and scribbled on my phone screen 

if someone wants to come up with the correct name, cause and effect be my guest . 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

I literally plucked an expression out of thin air to describe what it looks like is happening and scribbled on my phone screen 

if someone wants to come up with the correct name, cause and effect be my guest . 

Coriolis force :P

3 hours ago, Priscilla said:

7FCB31C0-1E99-4193-8866-48970AAF4C8F.thumb.jpeg.d6c8706fa29cfca4c925fd41b886dbe6.jpeg

DF3B9255-0AD8-4CA2-9D4F-C77E2858DA07.thumb.jpeg.63190b75ed07b90333d57a9cfcf7454c.jpeg

Dam busters!

Now there's a bit of history for ya!

5 hours ago, Priscilla said:

You mean this surely 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Plasma vortex fire wind 

That PVFW seems to get them out of the tacks higher.

19 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Hope the grinders aren't planning on watching anything of the racing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

No idea either, but it’s apparently a thing now to note ;-) 

Good spot.

Got to love journos like Matthew Sheahan for their complete confidence in what they say, even if it is wrong. He makes out that the behaviour of these foiling boats is very different from other boats, and he is partly right, but he is also very wrong to apply what he says to all other boats. With non foiling boats, he is correct, but with some other foiling boats, the boat handling behaviour of the AC75 isn't that different. Why? Because of you are using 2 rudders and differential, with the windward side pulling down and the leeward side producing lift, the net effect at the back of the boat is to have the centre of lift in the middle. And even on a boats such as an A Class, with 2 centreboards down, leeway and asymmetric foils mean that the centre of lift from them overall is still well to leeward and in a different place to that of the rudders. This means you get the steering effect Sheahan says is so different on the AC75 on a number of other boats. Even Moths, with main foil and rudder in line, have this effect because the foils are different lengths and the boats are sailed heeled over to windward. The main issue is with the rudders - sail the boat flat and steering with keep the rudder winglets in the same plane as you steer. Any heel at all, and you change the amount of lift as you steer and that can pitch the boat up or down. Takes some getting used to, as you often have to steer the opposite way to what you would do on a non foiling boat. 

Don't get me wrong - the AC75 is a difficult boat to sail, and its handling characteristics are very different from conventional boats, but they aren't as different as you might think from boats that many who sail them are used to (AC/F50, Moth, A Class and more). This is one reason why AC sailors have continued to sail those other boats, besides the fact they are just the best fun you can have!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lat35sowth said:

Baitfish baitball workup

I pity the Kahawai that bites at a lure hanging off the back if ETNZ B2. What is the head/body separation force for a Kahawai?

On 11/20/2020 at 10:25 PM, Priscilla said:

They are looking much better.

1 hour ago, Nutta said:

I pity the Kahawai that bites at a lure hanging off the back if ETNZ B2. What is the head/body separation force for a Kahawai?

About 60 knots and 400 lb leader.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Liquid said:

It’s part of our dry British wit. Oh sorry, you meant gybes....:ph34r:

• Like 5

22 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Pressure wave off the keel bow arrangement too.

seems a feature of the hard chine, keel thingy 533A65D2-1884-4BEF-9275-A175EB1E77D6.thumb.jpeg.4528e47399611b22c334f4a7e33c78c1.jpeg

F246BEC6-1260-4A1C-83B2-15EAB255C64B.jpeg

4C6AE1C6-570F-433C-B97A-CD5075F93B96.jpeg

Could be an illumination effect.

• Like 1

Just now, JALhazmat said:

Illuminati effect surely? 

Ha ha..I see maybe the lighting being responsible for the dark shading under the boat and the cut-off on the strb side.matches the shadow under the boat.

No-one appears to cross the boat during tacks/gybes or am I missing something?

Have they two helms or is Ben steering from one side only?

33 minutes ago, barfy said:

Ha ha..I see maybe the lighting being responsible for the dark shading under the boat and the cut-off on the strb side.matches the shadow under the boat.

Yeah the dark Shadow stays the same but the white spray pattern does  change so some thing is going on, (compare second and third pics) 

still gonna blame the Illuminati though, seems most logical ;-) 

14 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

gonna blame the Illuminati though, seems most logical ;-) 

Well, perhaps you're correct..the cult of suh would for sure be on suh Ben's side.. And be responsible for all manner of anomalies.

1 hour ago, barfy said:

Could be an illumination effect.

Its the spirit of docks, past, present and future, forever living under the threat of Sir Ben's bow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barfy said:

Well, perhaps you're correct..the cult of suh would for sure be on suh Ben's side.. And be responsible for all manner of anomalies.

Funded by the crushed bodies of dinosaurs dug up by evil Jim.. 

It is indeed a reflection. It is the reflection of the Cullinan diamond, the largest in the world, which is set into the royal sceptre, the symbol of the British royal lizard people who still control the world through the various illuminati. As a knight, ben was inducted into the highest ranks of these illuminati lizards and now his own shadow includes a reflection of this iconic diamond.

All hail the British royal lizard overlords

I may need to go for a lie down now.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

They are looking much better.

7 hours ago, Apterix said:

No-one appears to cross the boat during tacks/gybes or am I missing something?

Have they two helms or is Ben steering from one side only?

Are you two watching the same video I am?!

3 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Are you two watching the same video I am?!

2 hours ago, nroose said:

People crossing the boat at 1:38.

I think we are watching different videos - the Roger Mills video does show people crossing the boat during tacks/gybes, but in the video I watched https://www.facebook.com/100001412028875/videos/3580593881997644/ and have just re-watched I cant see people crossing during manoeuvres.  

40 minutes ago, Apterix said:

I think we are watching different videos - the Roger Mills video does show people crossing the boat during tacks/gybes, but in the video I watched https://www.facebook.com/100001412028875/videos/3580593881997644/ and have just re-watched I cant see people crossing during manoeuvres.  

They're coming out of that tack nice and high and playing the gusts/lulls well, keeping the height. Like the semi raise of the foil to keep ride height. Those grinders are really into it during the transition

7 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

It is indeed a reflection. It is the reflection of the Cullinan diamond, the largest in the world, which is set into the royal sceptre, the symbol of the British royal lizard people who still control the world through the various illuminati. As a knight, ben was inducted into the highest ranks of these illuminati lizards and now his own shadow includes a reflection of this iconic diamond.

All hail the British royal lizard overlords

I may need to go for a lie down now.

Must be a hell of a conversation when they sit you down and explain that, whereas you thought you were being recognized for sporting achievements, flying the flag etc etc, you are actually being inducted into a gang of lizard people.....sure we all suspect, but seriously. On reflection you'd think they'd have done better in Bermuda what with the hot weather, surely have should have favored team lizard?