Stingray~

INEOS Team GB

6 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Strange to me that INEOS are still publishing "updates" that mostly feature footage of B1, Portsmouth and Cagliari?

Spies are everywhere.

You should know.

:D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weta27 said:

Strange to me that INEOS are still publishing "updates" that mostly feature footage of B1, Portsmouth and Cagliari?

If they're showing anything technical or performance related then it probably means they have something new and better on Boat 2

Looking at device at the top I'm wondering whether the bits that attached to skins on the aft end of the top egde have independent internal lines. If one is tensioned more than the other then they could modify the shape of the wing section. 

There may also be a rotary hydraulic actuator that would rotate that long arm to power up/down the tip section of the wing. 

It's so intruging what all teams have packed in there. 

There could also be another control arm device lower down, towards the lower end of top wing control zone. 

6 hours ago, weta27 said:

To the layman / sponsor, B1 is still technologically interesting, so for publicity videos its useful footage that doesn't accidentally give away secrets?

Interesting that having released that image of the top of the dual main that we can assume B2 design has changed somewhat. 

Lots of evolution on these boats that we cannot see. 

I agree with JAL that I like where GB are. When you allow for relative distances, parallax etc I haven't seen any video that suggests that they are slow. Quite the opposite and they are clearly still improving. B2 was a radical change (as it was for NZ) and I think that bold move will prove to be a goo decision.

NZ are still probably favourites and are looking slick, but I think all the competition will be close

20 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

well off the pace.. 

As we all know, these videos can be very deceiving.  Britannia is obviously slower at the first because they just completed a turn.  AM has a burst of speed to catch them and then they both are playing around.  It gives you an idea of what speeds they are both going.

image.png.22823c46d10c7d2e99d890cf7dfe8b3f.png

4 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

As we all know, these videos can be very deceiving.  Britannia is obviously slower at the first because they just completed a turn.  AM has a burst of speed to catch them and then they both are playing around.  It gives you an idea of what speeds they are both going.

I got the opposite feeling from that video.. 

It looked to me like they were tacking upwind towards us.. with Ineos starting further away(deeper).  Ineos initially appears slower making a lot more progress upwind..  they both tack and Ineos is now in front before it leaves AM in the distance, they keep having to zoom out as it leaves it behind

12 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

I measure them at approximately the same speed at about 2 minutes in to that video.

Ineos is on port going away from the camera and at the start giving the impression of travelling slower.  The ineos bear away is compromised with a rib having to get clear first. AM then tack to make the top mark and then apart from a small burst of speed when AM bears away Ineos is pulling away consistently even more so when AM have to gybe because they’re not going as deep on the same tack

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Ineos is on port going away from the camera and at the start giving the impression of travelling slower.  The ineos bear away is compromised with a rib having to get clear first. AM then tack to make the top mark and then apart from a small burst of speed when AM bears away Ineos is pulling away consistently even more so when AM have to gybe because they’re not going as deep on the same tack

They both are turning at various times...  Not sure which times you are talking about. My goofy frame rate measure has them both just under 50 frames to go past the green mark just before 2 minutes. Which means they are moving at a little over 40 kts. It's definitely not very accurate. I think maybe within 10%. But I don't think there is really a more accurate way to measure the speed of either, relative or absolute, from this one video. The zoom is powerful and that makes it hard to know the exact relative distance from the camera or the angle to the camera that they are sailing, so comparing their speeds across the view is not meaningful.

2 minutes ago, weta27 said:

I think they were having a picnic on the tow-out?

DSC_2029.JPG

DSC_2037.JPG

Where are the teams sailing today??

25 minutes ago, weta27 said:

They were headed out towards the Paddock area (Course E)

Looks like a nice breeze to go with the champagne and caviar. Any idea about wind strength?

11 minutes ago, weta27 said:

About 18 knots according to MetService

Thanks.  I'm getting the hang of the "Windy" app, but it was mentioned that the free version is not real time, and only updated twice a day!  Currently shows ~14 knots...

Meanwhile, I'm awaiting beer o'clock, in 2 knot zephyrs and 42°.

11 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

They are very seldom on the same course so any "eyeball" observations are just speculation.  The boat speeds do not  confirm you observations.

3 hours ago, weta27 said:

DSC_2029.JPG

Casting lots to see who will do the mast climb, I should think. ;-)

3 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

They are very seldom on the same course so any "eyeball" observations are just speculation.  The boat speeds do not  confirm you observations.

Ok 

AM were faster, overtook upwind, rounded the mark first and then fucked off faster down wind going deeper than INEOS who also had to gybe.  

Is that better? 

17 hours ago, weta27 said:

DSC_2029.JPG

Or putting as much distance possible (to windward) to the Brussel sprouts Ben ate the day before... 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Ok 

AM were faster, overtook upwind, rounded the mark first and then fucked off faster down wind going deeper than INEOS who also had to gybe.  

Is that better? 

Again, another commentary that doesn’t match reality.  Just pointing out that videos can be deceiving.  I gave you the speeds, you can make any conclusions that you want.

Definite gps based speeds? thought so;-) 

it’s odd that your speeds and interpretation of the video doesn't match what anyone else can SEE

2 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

Ineos Team UK AC75 Britannia Sailing Auckland November 30

LW foils

Looks like light breeze at the time?

Arrived just in time to see them packing up to go home (thank you Auckland Transport and the commuting nightmare that is Lake Road!). Looked like they had been practicing on Course C.

DSC_2088.JPG

DSC_2091.JPG

DSC_2098.JPG

DSC_2100.JPG

• Like 4

1 minute ago, weta27 said:

Arrived just in time to see them packing up to go home (thank you Auckland Transport and the commuting nightmare that is Lake Road!)

cheer up

it's going to be far more amusing on race days

• Like 3

A contribution (maybe) to the earlier discussion on those mysterious holes in the bottom of the hull (close-up from the 2nd photo above):

holes1.jpg

• Like 4

From the organiser of the Christmas Cup. 

"The British, for the moment, sail very little. They seem engaged in fine-tuning systems and have already made several changes to their boat two."

Possibly not a good sign?

2 hours ago, weta27 said:

thank you Auckland Transport and the commuting nightmare that is Lake Road!

Wait to Cup time....

Luckily the racing will take only 2 hours so that gives the public 22 hours to travel to and fro.

Davenport will be a nightmare.

25 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

I'm stocking up on orange road cones and making up fake signs to divert incoming traffic at Belmont, off the end of Bayswater Wharf and into the harbour.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, weta27 said:

I'm stocking up on orange road cones and making up fake signs to divert incoming traffic at Belmont, off the end of Bayswater Wharf and into the harbour.

I'm going to make a land claim down at the viaduct, tent, occupation, chain myself to the railing. Sorted.

Bring a tent, we can start the SA Occupational Village.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

From the organiser of the Christmas Cup. 

"The British, for the moment, sail very little. They seem engaged in fine-tuning systems and have already made several changes to their boat two."

Possibly not a good sign?

Or the opposite. 

Yes, quite possible. 

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Wait to Cup time....

Luckily the racing will take only 2 hours so that gives the public 22 hours to travel to and fro.

Davenport nightmare. 

1CBFB844-A52C-4272-ADA2-F7B68F4B4763.jpeg

4 hours ago, phill_nz said:

cheer up

it's going to be far more amusing on race days

Used to live at bayswater marina. Wife and I would exchange simple text: fuck lake road. Where someone walking the sidewalk would disappear in front of you..where your car's cooling system would get a daily stress test, as would you if you didn't have a cold beer at hand. Fuck lake road.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, barfy said:

Used to live at bayswater marina. Wife and I would exchange simple text: fuck lake road. Where someone walking the sidewalk would disappear in front of you..where your car's cooling system would get a daily stress test, as would you if you didn't have a cold beer at hand. Fuck lake road.

My boy-child spent a few months with twice-weekly visits to the Wilson clinic. Commute from Titirangi, to there, in after school traffic.

Fuck Lake Rd.

• Like 2

Said the same thing to myself multiple times this afternoon ...

Fuck Lake Road.

(and the useless Council who have been talking about fixing it for over 30 years now)

Alternative to the Viaduct Tent Village is armed takeover of the Navy Barracks on North Head... No need to navigate Lake Road...

Edit: suggesting armed takeover was silly. It's NZ. Our Navy isn't armed either. Harsh language should suffice...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Said the same thing to myself multiple times this afternoon ...

Fuck Lake Road.

(and the useless Council who have been talking about fixing it for over 30 years now)

But consent another 500 units.

• Like 1

Just now, barfy said:

But consent another 500 units.

With no additional water infrastructure...

1 minute ago, Nutta said:

Alternative to the Viaduct Tent Village is armed takeover of the Navy Barracks on North Head... No need to navigate Lake Road...

Edit: suggesting armedcrakeover was silly. It's NZ. Our Navy isn't armed either. Harsh language should suffice...

The base is a quarantine zone now..don't go visiting

• Like 1

So catching the 'rona is key to great AC36 viewing? Who do I have to lick?

i lived in devonport as well

i used the ferry

north head has or had no barracks since the 60's at least

the navy had a radar and comms school up there

no idea what it is now .. doc runs part of it

white coat and clip board should suffice

37 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Booked my spot on the spectator ferry. Open bar! 

The ExploreNZ gigs? Am I right in thinking the $899 is for all the days noted?

11 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

If you try to book, it seems to be per day... 8)

1 hour ago, rh3000 said:

Wife still not talking to me

1 hour ago, barfy said:

For a city of 2-million people, it sure feels at times as if we have the same number of cars!! You really notice the difference during school holidays when traffic is reduced significantly.

2 hours ago, minimumfuss said:

Booked my spot on the spectator ferry. Open bar! 

Starting to hate you all locals :angry:

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Nutta said:

My boy-child spent a few months with twice-weekly visits to the Wilson clinic. Commute from Titirangi, to there, in after school traffic.

Fuck Lake Rd.

Been there. Done that with a family member. Hope he's doing OK now, Nutta.

• Like 5

Former Devonportian also.

Growing up there was all walking or biking for me.

Off Lake Rd traffic was generally fairly mild.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 9:35 PM, Nutta said:

Fuck Lake Rd.

Hope the young fella is all good mate. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Won't it be a bit like watching the F1 live on track? Woooooooossssshhhhh!  Where the F#%K did that go?

530 real dollars to semi-drunkenly watch one day of largely irrelevant (in the grand scheme of things) racing??

Am noting with deep satisfaction that Kiwi entrepreneurs are adopting the same strategy as restaurateurs over here: no foreign tourists > raise prices and fleece the locals

11 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Won't it be a bit like watching the F1 live on track? Woooooooossssshhhhh!  Where the F#%K did that go?

They have GOT to be kidding.  $899 for a 6 hour boat trip?  Holy shit.  Someone's been drinking the Koolaid about yacht owners all being rich.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

They have GOT to be kidding.  $899 for a 6 hour boat trip?  Holy shit.  Someone's been drinking the Koolaid about yacht owners all being rich.

If you think the pricing is exorbitant for the ACWS wait until the Prada and AC regattas.

Explore NZ has just emerged from a long Covid created hiatus so the sky’s the ceiling however sitting in front of the telly is no substitute to being up close and personal with an AC75 net alone two racing in anger.

Usual retail price for a beer here in the home of the Cup is $11.00 so 6 hours @ 10 beers per hour and it’s value for money:P

33 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

If you think the pricing is exorbitant for the ACWS wait until the Prada and AC regattas.

Explore NZ has just emerged from a long Covid created hiatus so the sky’s the ceiling however sitting in front of the telly is no substitute to being up close and personal with an AC75 net alone two racing in anger.

Usual retail price for a beer here in the home of the Cup is $11.00 so 6 hours @ 10 beers per hour and it’s value for money:P

Again - holy crap.  The only time I've seen beer even close to that price is when we're out at ball games.

8 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Again - holy crap.  The only time I've seen beer even close to that price is when we're out at ball games.

That is not American dollars btw

50 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

That is not American dollars btw

Oh I know, but that's still $7-$8 per beer.  Damn.

23 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Oh I know, but that's still $7-$8 per beer.  Damn.

Normal at any bar where I’m at; on a tour boat or even ferry, or at a stadium it’s 50% more. 

For a pint or a schooner? Those are Sydney/London prices for a pint, although a schooner isn't far behind in some parts of Sydney :/

10 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

For a pint or a schooner? Those are Sydney/London prices for a pint, although a schooner isn't far behind in some parts of Sydney :/

Craft beer pints, the ‘mondos’ at 28 ounces are a better deal at about $10 for most of them. 

Dang I miss the pubs! A touch pricey but the friendships are really big value. 

Funny, the thing I remember most about, say, going up the Eiffel Tower was who I was with. It’s the same for many AC experiences over the past few cycles. 

3 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Same company that in the BOI is rumoured to have collected the Covid subsidy, used it to make almost all employees redundant, then terminated them and gave the rest of the subsidy back rather than pay a lockdown stipend. 

17 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

330 ml

18 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

330 ml

:(

Ha! notice the dolphin at 3:14 and a couple of other times later. Next level spying. 

2 hours ago, weta27 said:

Probably not much help ..?

controller1.jpg

I can't recall seeing a pic of someone holding a controller.  Stabilizing it on the bros back.  I like that.  

Fwiw, I chatted to one of the teams mechatronics guys a couple of months back, and we talked about haptic feedback.  

It appears they are?

so must be final foils. Bulbs with wings x 2 on B1, the kinky ones at launch of B2 and the bulbless

1 hour ago, I ride bikes said:

(...}

Fwiw, I chatted to one of the teams mechatronics guys a couple of months back, and we talked about haptic feedback.  

And what did he say? 

• Like 1

Hey they weird foil has gone on INEOS!

2 hours ago, I ride bikes said:

I can't recall seeing a pic of someone holding a controller.  Stabilizing it on the bros back.  I like that.  

Everyone that races quadcopters uses haptic and voice feedback..on a $150 controller

• Like 1