Sign in to follow this  
Pokey uh da LBC

Weapon or... Craigslist Junker

There's one with an inboard here in SF, i think it gets 6 seconds for the weight, not enough.

Never seen one with a inboard. This one needs a lot of work run for the hills 

2 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

I know of 2 with a gas saildrive... a Honda, I believe. Never saw one with a diesel, though.

Olson 30s are fun to sail but they go best with a crowd (which I dislike, why are so many good boats designed to be cattle cars?) and they're not very ergonomic.

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

... they go best with a crowd (which I dislike, why are so many good boats designed to be cattle cars?) ..

Because it's faster?

Cheers,

W.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bruno said:

Loran?

Label maker??

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

I know of 2 with a gas saildrive... a Honda, I believe. Never saw one with a diesel, though.

Olson 30s are fun to sail but they go best with a crowd (which I dislike, why are so many good boats designed to be cattle cars?) and they're not very ergonomic.

FB- Doug

DB inboard?

Whats with the cover over the cabin house?  Leak much?

That is a factory option. Only around ten made with inboards. Looks to be VERY un-modified since delivered. Appears to be in decent shape. I always heard that the inboard versions were dogs comparatively, though I have a hard time believing that the extra hundred pounds was really that much worse. 6 Seconds for the strut and prop seems reasonable. Getting rid of the outboard situation fixes the second most annoying part about O30's. The first being that you need a lot of crew. Six or so is about minimum. You really need weight on the rail upwind or you lose a LOT of height. If you have some friends and can work on boats? This is a steal. Will need some elbow grease and boat bucks, but O30s remain one of the top dollar for fun(speed) options alive. I loved mine. 

• Like 1

Had an inboard in our J29 and it didn't hurt a bit in PHRF. The 6-second rating bump was more than fair, and the convenience... 

But I'd be concerned that the same 6-second bump for the O30 wouldn't cover the extra weight. By my rough calculations, a 250# motor increases the displacement of a J29 by 4.2%, but that same motor adds 6.9% to an Olson 30. 

• Like 2

I have one in my O29. Dry weight with all gear attached is 168 lbs. Fuel tank(5 gal aluminum tank), support structure, prop and shaft, battery likely correct at the 250 lbs total pokey said above. But an out board with fuel also weighs something, maybe 100 lbs? So we're not talking 6.9%. Based on the 3900 lb weight of my O29 it's more like 3.8% additional weight relatively central and low in the boat.

I love it, no way would I trade it for an outboard.

4 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

How does this one need a lot of work?

31 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

How does this one need a lot of work?

I would pretty much start again on the electrics, presumably sails are shagged. but the engine looks pretty recent (and those 1GM10s go on forever).

8 winches on a 30'er... those were the days!

There were enough of these boats modified by Farwest Yachts in Ventura that they have their own reference in BUC.  This one is a one owner boat and very rarely raced, hence no "beam of destiny".  Needs some basic maintenance. Several recent sails, some new running rigging and electrical. 

I reckon it would make a nice day sailor with a 110% jib on roller furling. Maybe a decent beer-can racer as well.

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 10.03.38 AM.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pokey uh da LBC said:

Had an inboard in our J29 and it didn't hurt a bit in PHRF. The 6-second rating bump was more than fair, and the convenience... 

I thought you only got three seconds for that.  Or was that for one-design?

Gramps said in So cali PHRFer the Olson has a favorable rating, RLC, OW compared to the Hobie 33 whatever that is 

If you're buying a boat so you can collect PHRF pickle dishes,  you might just be doing it wrong.

If you want a boat that will sail very, very well - especially if you sail mostly in modest conditions, AND you don't want to deal with an outboard,  for whatever reason - this sure looks like a steal to me.

Seriously,  it would cost you 10 large just for the motor,  and the boat is thrown in for free.  Hell Yeah, I say.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pokey uh da LBC said:

But I'd be concerned that the same 6-second bump for the O30 wouldn't cover the extra weight. By my rough calculations, a 250# motor increases the displacement of a J29 by 4.2%, but that same motor adds 6.9% to an Olson 30. 

Tohatsu long shaft is 59 lbs. Call it 65 fueled and oiled up plus engine brackets. The Olson 30 outboard is seriously a bitch to put on and take off. It is an awkward angle, and a crappy spot to do when calm, and even worse in any kind of seaway. The 1gm comes in around 200 lbs, is well positioned and centerline and low. We're talking the difference in weight of a woman or a teenager for an extremely beneficial inboard. Distance racing, going out for a sunset beer, safety in rough weather, there are countless reasons that this is well worth it. I owned an outboard O30 and had I kept it longer, I would've 100% converted to a diesel. You're looking for a beer can weapon? This is it. You're not going to find anything in this price range that will beat it. 

• Like 4

Anybody got a trailer I can borrow? :-)

Sure thing,  I have a double-axle in my driveway!

About the only down-side to the inboard is for someone that never, or only very rarely motors and doesn't want the complexity of an inboard - but since its NOT a sail-drive (I don't think so, anyway) it is about as simple as you'll get.

If I were near and looking for a fun boat I'd buy this in a minute.

10 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

why are so many good boats designed to be cattle cars?

It's moveable ballast without the rating penalty.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:
10 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

why are so many good boats designed to be cattle cars?

Well, sure. Some regions have rules about how many people per boat size but I've never seen them enforced. I used to race against a C&C 35 that carried 20 or so, there literally was not room for them all along the rail.

IMHO that really cuts down on the fun. Personal taste, but I'd rather sail with a few friends.

The Olson is a mini sled and it doesn't take that many hands to sail it.

FB- Doug

8 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

The Olson is a mini sled and it doesn't take that many hands to sail it.

...off the wind. Sure.

The Olson 30 and the Santa Cruz 27 are very uncomfortable to crew on. Not ergonomic at all. Like they tried to be little ocean racers, winch farms and everything else. Legs out hiking on an SC27 is a study in gymnastics and flexibility as you try to squeeze onto that 6-inch wide side deck.

2 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

...off the wind. Sure.

The Olson 30 and the Santa Cruz 27 are very uncomfortable to crew on. Not ergonomic at all. Like they tried to be little ocean racers, winch farms and everything else. Legs out hiking on an SC27 is a study in gymnastics and flexibility as you try to squeeze onto that 6-inch wide side deck.

Totally agreed. The Moore 24... at least, in it's original configuration, is also a very uncomfortable boat to sail.

OTOH the Finn is a blast to sail although it is a painbox. Thistles are the classic standard. I'm a big wuss but I kinda don't see the point in having a big keelboat painbox.

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Somebody Else said:

+1

I've always considered it to be cheating - or at least gaming the system if you want to try to put some sort of positive spin on it.

2 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

...off the wind. Sure.

A bit like playing hockey in a hot tub.

15 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

...off the wind. Sure.

Is that just because they are small or that they were made before reliable line clutches were available requiring the multiple winches?  I have never sailed on one of those boats (O30 or SC27).  I have spent an uncomfortable full night on the rail of a hobie 33 offshore but hiking out all night on any boat gets sort of uncomfortable.  Is there something specific that makes the O30 more uncomfortable than other fastish boats of the era?

1 hour ago, bridhb said:

Is that just because they are small or that they were made before reliable line clutches were available requiring the multiple winches?  I have never sailed on one of those boats (O30 or SC27).  I have spent an uncomfortable full night on the rail of a hobie 33 offshore but hiking out all night on any boat gets sort of uncomfortable.  Is there something specific that makes the O30 more uncomfortable than other fastish boats of the era?

I think it is mostly the raised aluminum toe rail all the way down the hull deck joint that your legs have to sit on combined with the lack of space between cabin top and edge of the deck (more a SC27 issue than toilet seat issue). Pretty much all SC area built ULDBs of the era had some kind of fairly high toe rail that dug into your hammies while sitting on them. I have seen a few get the sawzall treatment which helps with comfort, but I suppose is less safe if you slip and have no to rail to catch your foot.

I don't recall ever seeing any line clutches when these boats were built. I have them now on my boat (a Wilderness 30 prototype from 1979) but I'm pretty sure they didn't exist then, or weren't commonly used for some reason.

They were 'common' but they were simple jammers and they sucked (ate lines,  couldn't release under load) - no,  the big ergonomic issue with these boats is they are products of their day - little ocean-racer yachts,  not big dinghies (like we sail now) and the space is tight - very little freeboard too,  but for a day on the water,  hard to beat at the price.

and sure,  the O30 is known for going down the mineshaft,  but right before that happens, it's great !

• Like 2