The Profit

Stars and Stripes Team USA is gone

It looks like somebody did not get the "gone" memo yet.

The Portsmouth ACWS promo version has the skippers at about 0:28 and Canfield is in the collage.

Better yet, someone is still posting using the Stars + Stripes Facebook page. Perhaps they are still kicking?

Maybe their page is taken over by hackers preparing to manipulate the 2020 US elections?

Just kidding. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Maybe their page is taken over by hackers preparing to manipulate the 2020 US elections?

Just kidding. 

Russian hackers or Ukrainian hackers? whoops lol

So someone left a comment on my social media when I asked about Stars + Stripes. Answer was Yes, they will be there (in Portsmouth) and Yes they will be in Auckland. Admittedly it was only on a post about about the ACWS Portsmouth regatta, so nothing about Cagliari, but who ever it was confirmed that Yes, Stars + Stripes will be in Portsmouth and Auckland.

Nah probably an F50. The way that series is going there'll probably be 7 spare boats by 2021! lol

• Like 1

In the linked Esquier interview he says they have not heard from S+S since summer and they will not be at Cagliari.

So other than possible advantages for beautifying the Auckland Harbor, why on earth are Buckley/Canfield/whoever perpetuating this? 

It makes them less credible for a future challenge. 

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

It makes them less credible for a future challenge. 

That depends on what they are doing.  Credibility is a pretty amorphous concept while shaking the right hands and drinking with the right CEOs and agents can be the key to actually fielding a challenge.

Well yeah. Hopefully they are being more straight with money than public. Because as a strung along member of public I would not pick them on Wag!

Just now, NeedAClew said:

Well yeah. Hopefully they are being more straight with money than public. Because as a strung along member of public I would not pick them on Wag!

i don't know what you are trying to say, but it is friday so I understand.

They definitely blew the communications part of their responsibilities, and that gives me some pause despite knowing Buckley and Taylor fairly well and counting them as friends.

I tend to stick to my guns about 99.9% of great sailors being terrible at business, just like me.  I just wish I had the 'great sailor' part, not just the shitty at business part.

• Like 2

They really should be gone - but they are still listed on the AC36 website. This whole thing really smells off.

49 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

They really should be gone - but they are still listed on the AC36 website. This whole thing really smells off.

Yet you can't stop sniffing it...

Odd really...

5 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Odd really...

Perhaps he likes the smell of faeces? 

• Like 1

I sure hope S&S and LBYC have some surprises up their sleeves. If they have been dragging this along for nothing, well ... 

Sorry, I try so hard not to be negative or say anything bad about others...

Maybe wankers... ohhhh, so sorry.

52 minutes ago, Varan said:

I sure hope S&S and LBYC have some surprises up their sleeves. If they have been dragging this along for nothing, well ... 

Sorry, I try so hard not to be negative or say anything bad about others...

Maybe wankers... ohhhh, so sorry.

Yeah, Larry Ellison has been funding them secretly as part of his grand plan to get reve ge on ETNZ for making him sit there (again) watching Jimmy lose race after race but with no magic comeback. Reason he is getting tired of SGP is that it was just a stress reliever and now it's going to be made redundant.

See, Larry brought the Core guys over and stashed them in Elon Musk's gigafactory and the S+S boat is ready to splash for Cagliari. They got the Chinese to clone the ETNZ simulator and the team is on it day and night.

Old Larry is even planning to get his beard dyed and that thing off his face so that when he and the family show up in Cagliari on Musashi he looks good in the photos when S+S sails out with Oracle on the sails.

So revenge on ETNZ, who he conned into concessions for plucky S+S and also on NYYC for claiming they would set a better tone for the event. He is just scaring the SGP Australia team so he can put several of them on with Canfield. 

• Like 3

On 1/18/2020 at 11:24 PM, rh3000 said:

Odd really...

Samoyed Greetings GIF - Samoyed Greetings Greatdane GIFs

Way worse for the members of LBYC.  The club Flag officers are silent on anything.  No announcements of any kind, but they did send out a letter asking for donations.   Pretty big blow to the reputation of a great club.  They F---ed up so bad on this they are frozen and have no idea what to do.  Maybe afraid of being named in a lawsuit. 

LBYC had it's installation of flag officers for 2020 last weekend.  Not one word on S+S.  LBYC is sadly turning into a banquet facility with most members not into sailing or boating.  The few sailors left there see the whole AC thing as a huge embarrassment.    

11 minutes ago, The Profit said:

Way worse for the members of LBYC.  The club Flag officers are silent on anything.  No announcements of any kind, but they did send out a letter asking for donations.   Pretty big blow to the reputation of a great club.  They F---ed up so bad on this they are frozen and have no idea what to do.  Maybe afraid of being named in a lawsuit. 

LBYC had it's installation of flag officers for 2020 last weekend.  Not one word on S+S.  LBYC is sadly turning into a banquet facility with most members not into sailing or boating.  The few sailors left there see the whole AC thing as a huge embarrassment.    

Sucks to hear that. If there is going to be litigation, it might come from ETNZ. That would be messy. It just makes no sense that this would be the state of things and Gladwell is slyly promising that S+S will be on the line in Auckland, and that they are still listed on the AC36 website.

We'll see what happens. Either way, as you say, it's just going to hurt LBYC's rep. Bummer.

Just now, The Profit said:

LBYC is sadly turning into a banquet facility 

Yeah, I was a visitor on their dock a few times, and their reciprocal hospitality was much appreciated indeed.

But never made it to the bar, as all you could see were very old tuxedos.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:34 AM, smackdaddy said:

Have you considered showering?

Don't think they paid ACWS entry yet.  Time for secret santa to pay up.

The technical challenges of the AC75 class means that even if you have the money, you need the talent. There's not a whole lot of talent left in the pool of recent AC staff. Most are either in work now or so frustrated with the fixed term nature of AC employment, that they're doing other things. Dont think for a moment that this gig pays squillions for a day-to-day job, it doesn't. 

Encouraging emerging teams to enter through design partnerships and process assistance is something beneficial to The Cup and surely in the best interests of the future of The Cup, the sponsors and the boat building industry in general.

If, it is true that Stars & Stripes are a no-go then this is a reflection that the effort put in to support their challenge was lacking from all angles of possibility. 

Sad.

I just have no clue (since public reports were silent on the matter) how extensive "support" "efforts" were. The process that seems to have lacked sufficient assistance and results was fundraising.  

There's 100's of billionaires in America. 

13 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

There's 100's of billionaires in America. 

and thousands asking for their money for things that make a lot more sense than a sailboat race!

24 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

and thousands asking for their money for things that make a lot more sense than a sailboat race!

...like wanting to make a few more billion.....

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Not sure "sense" has a lot to do with this game. But I don't know any billionaires, so I'd be guessing.

52 minutes ago, maxmini said:

Look at the plus side , more dock space in Auckland:) 

Room for a base beer tent!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

If you think billionaires would supply funds to an oxidizing agent to currency like an Americas Cup challenge upon request, then you need to think about ego. For it's ego that opens wallets of the filthy rich and they chose to do it on their own and from their own ideas. Or at least, make them think it's their idea to satisfy the ego.

Seeding the idea is the trick. 

Go to work mudguard.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=Mudguard%2bHead&amp=true

9 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

For it's ego that opens wallets of the filthy rich and they chose to do it on their own and from their own ideas. Or at least, make them think it's their idea to satisfy the ego.

Seeding the idea is the trick.

That is RC's genius. He is gifted in that regard.

16 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

That is RC's genius. He is gifted in that regard.

Yes. And that dude delivers the result too. He is a charismatic, knowledgeable and a solid influencer. 

10 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

They're still at the last mark

What, racing against themselves?  Think about it.

13 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Last mark is back at Long Beach?

On 12/19/2019 at 11:03 AM, Forourselves said:

So someone left a comment on my social media when I asked about Stars + Stripes. Answer was Yes, they will be there (in Portsmouth) and Yes they will be in Auckland. Admittedly it was only on a post about about the ACWS Portsmouth regatta, so nothing about Cagliari, but who ever it was confirmed that Yes, Stars + Stripes will be in Portsmouth and Auckland.

It will be the height of rudeness not front up considering the effort and expense the locals have been to providing facilities for them.

14 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

C'mon, franck improved immensely during racing, gave us some great publicity, won a couple? of races, and generally was a net positive in bda. SS could be the same...hard to come up to FC's level I know.

If they show up for the Big Show (ie challenger selection) and don't kick ass, then basically all this encouragement and support is like giving kids a participation trophy.

Better they should have mustered resources for next time. Oh, guess that would not be good because of course NYYC will win...  

(Disgruntlement font)

No doubt that having a "young and vibrant" US team with a reliable portfolio of corporate sponsors would be great. Would be great if McKinsey, Verizon, Huawei, UnderArmour or whatever get them funded. But what boat and team show up, whenever, need to be credible. If they aren't that damages prospects for future cycles.

So at some point they have to decide if they have a credible vehicle for current, future, continuing corporate sponsors or if they need to pivot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

No doubt that having a "young and vibrant" US team with a reliable portfolio of corporate sponsors would be great. Would be great if McKinsey, Verizon, Huawei, UnderArmour or whatever get them funded. But what boat and team show up, whenever, need to be credible. If they aren't that damages prospects for future cycles.

So at some point they have to decide if they have a credible vehicle for current, future, continuing corporate sponsors or if they need to pivot.

Hmm perhaps, but look at Softbank Team Japan last time round. They showed up with a "credible" team and a quick boat. This time they're no where to be seen, so maybe. It all depends on the vision of the sponsor/ Backers of the team, as to whether they see the team (if there is one) as a worthwhile investment. Emirates could have shut up shop on ETNZ after San Francisco, just as the NZ government did. Most sponsors would have, but they obviously saw ETNZ as a worthwhile investment, and continued with the team. Now they're hosting and sponsoring their own event, so I don't think credibility is the most important factor, sponsor/ backer vision is the most important factor, maintaining mutually beneficial relationships with sponsors and backers is key, and something that GD is no doubt very good at. 

Is their boat still under construction? Were moulds ever actually built?

The real shame about the Stars and Stripes fiasco is the lost opportunity to see women participating in the AC36 on the boat.

Sally Barkow
Nikole Barnes

Annie Haeger

Paris Henken

Anna Tunnicliffe Tobias

How many women got the opportunity to even train with the other syndicates.

Not many if any...

• Like 2

Maybe SoftBank was too enmeshed with the Defender and sponsor lost interest accordingly?

7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

https://www.sail-world.com/news/226186/Americas-Cup-US-team-hits-rules-headwinds

America's Cup: Fourth Challenger in battle to stay in Cup

by Richard Gladwell 2 Feb 17:20 NZDT2 February 2020

yysw251436.jpg Stars and Stripes Team USA Training in GC52's © Matt Knighton

This is the biggest load of BS I've ever read. It's ETNZ desperately trying to find sponsors for S+S - simply to save its own dignity. And this part is beyond bollocks...

The young US team does have some substance, for which their media give them little credit - being the payment of the first tranche of $1million of a $2million Entry Fee. The team also has a partly built AC75 to a design package purchased from Emirates Team New Zealand. That basic design is believed to be very similar in concept to Te Aihe the first AC75 launched by Emirates Team New Zealand and which is about to head to the Cagliari ACWS, after a very successful four and a half months of trialing and development in Auckland.

The team are believed to have attracted three substantial sponsors.

Two are world-leading information technology and consulting companies. The third is a major international fashion house, headquartered in the USA.

You really expect a struggling team that has exactly 0 time on the water in any kind of foiling mono like this to build a boat that has already proven itself completely uncontrollable? Please.

As I predicted a long time ago, I think ETNZ will give this team Te Ahmed (through some ridiculous loophole) - and then will pull all kinds of under-the-table shenanigans to get them funded and to the line.

The second sponsor, a major technology player, also has a relationship with Emirates Team New Zealand ...

And it will ONLY for the benefit of ETNZ itself.

However the Auckland regattas would definitely be better for their participation.

I called this way back. And here we are.

S+S needs to die a dignified death and try next time. Tell the Emiratis and their Kiwi management to pound sand. This is freakin' embarrassing...for SDYC, for the US, for the entire sailing world - and especially this very screwed up America's Cup.

Gladwell, this isn't journalism. This pure and pathetic PR. And it stinks to high heaven.

@smackdaddy no one cares what you think. You're an irrelevant troll with nothing worthwhile to contribute to any thread in any topic, so stop replying to my posts.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

@smackdaddy no one cares what you think. You're an irrelevant troll with nothing worthwhile to contribute to any thread in any topic, so stop replying to my posts.

For fucks sake 4 give us all some welcome rest from your endless petulance.

We all know TNZ cracked the atom went to the moon and invented sunlight but endlessly banging on about Smack shows up what few clues you actually have.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Ah, ah, ah, ah, hillarious, first time ever I read that in SA :lol:

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

https://www.sail-world.com/news/226186/Americas-Cup-US-team-hits-rules-headwinds

Some serious bullshit journalism going on here.! You have to wonder what the motive is for writing it that way? 

I could hazard a guess, T. ETNZ wants S&S to turn up (I guess they'd like some money and 4 Challengers looks better than 3) RG is feeding us that line..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

I could hazard a guess, T. ETNZ wants S&S to turn up (I guess they'd like some money and 4 Challengers looks better than 3) RG is feeding us that line..

Yep, money from the challenger, better looking AC, or trying to honour expections from the city.

• Like 1

All worthy ideals and appropriate behaviour for the holders of the America's Cup, wouldn't you agree, TC? ;-)

6 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

All worthy ideals and appropriate behaviour for the holders of the America's Cup, wouldn't you agree, TC? ;-)

^^ Well, we know only Larry and Russell can hide the truth ;)

I think there is a contract dispute and or litigation happening between the Defender and S&S. ETNZ are remaining quiet so as not to prejudice any judgement down the track. They've probably had advice not to announce publicly that S&S are out - even though we all know they are mostly likely out, so as not to give them any leverage or kibosh any potential sponsors S&S might attract if they can some how remain in.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Ah, ah, ah, ah, hillarious, first time ever I read that in SA :lol:

You wanna hear something hilarious? Apparently Oracle was faster than ETNZ in Bermuda! Now thats hilarious!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

The writing was on the wall for S+S USA last September - they had to be properly running by then, and launched by now if they were to meet the ACWS participation Protocol requirement. They weren't and now the only way out is via a Protocol change. What is the problem with saying that?

The reality is now that given a free choice all teams (except Luna Rossa and INEOS) would quite happily skip both ACWS events and go directly to Auckland.

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Some serious bullshit journalism going on here.! You have to wonder what the motive is for writing it that way? 

Even S+S USA are way ahead of where the Australia AC team is. Pulled out of the last one after negotiating a Protocol and then decided they couldn't afford it after all.

3 hours ago, Priscilla said:

For fucks sake 4 give us all some welcome rest from your endless petulance.

We all know TNZ cracked the atom went to the moon and invented sunlight but endlessly banging on about Smack shows up what few clues you actually have.

Keep sitting on that fence ya pussy. Pick a team and stick to it. Otherwise, do me a favor and shut up.

12 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Keep sitting on that fence ya pussy. Pick a team and stick to it. Otherwise, do me a favor and shut up.

Crikey 4 you're all out of ammo time for a refill.

2011654022_images(2).jpeg.5e4cb2c4d3dbc1d805deb60888339d13.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Well, I like this one too.

There is only two people pushing the line the S&S are still in, Clarkey and Gladwell.  And both are being paid by GD.

3 hours ago, trt131 said:

There is only two people pushing the line the S&S are still in, Clarkey and Gladwell.  And both are being paid by GD.

How much are they being paid?

9 hours ago, robberzdog said:

all teams (except Luna Rossa and INEOS) would quite happily skip both ACWS events and go directly to Auckland.

And which team is that?

5 hours ago, trt131 said:

Really.

If you like jumping to conclusions how bout: etnz tried hard to enable SS to get aboard, sold them a plan for ten bucks, and is reluctant to strongarm or bad mouth them until it's really time for the fat lady to sing. They will then issue a press release stating regrettably they didn't make it.

?

11 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

I think there is a contract dispute and or litigation happening between the Defender and S&S. ETNZ are remaining quiet so as not to prejudice any judgement down the track. They've probably had advice not to announce publicly that S&S are out - even though we all know they are mostly likely out, so as not to give them any leverage or kibosh any potential sponsors S&S might attract if they can some how remain in.   

This seems like the most likely scenario to me.  With mere months till the first challenger regatta there isn't even a sniff S&S have a boat to splash never mind a crew to sail it.  Its all over but the shouting.

WetHog  :ph34r:

13 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

This ridiculous article is anything but "remaining quiet". It's got ETNZ's fingerprints all over it - and Gladwell is just the by-line for them. Why Sail World would run this is beyond comprehension.

Who knows what's going on behind the scenes. For all we know there might be some horse trading. Such as, if LR get their way with the wind limits, maybe they'll acquiesce with S&S and allow them to skip Cagliari and Portsmouth and sail in Auckland? In a bit of a quid pro quo as it were. 

14 hours ago, robberzdog said:

Even S+S USA are way ahead of where the Australia AC team is. Pulled out of the last one after negotiating a Protocol and then decided they couldn't afford it after all.

Wow, that's more than a little naive. It was a scam from start to finish - there was never any intention tp participate.

It simply allowed Oracle RC to reach 'Mutual Agreement' with Oracle Many Hats IM.

Straight from the Bertarelli playbook. Only schmucks and poor people stick to the rules right?

17 minutes ago, nav said:

Only schmucks, ETNZ, and poor people stick to the rules right?

If one is to believe the constant Kiwi drivel around here.

14 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey 4 you're all out of ammo time for a refill.

2011654022_images(2).jpeg.5e4cb2c4d3dbc1d805deb60888339d13.jpeg

I bet you get told that every night.

9 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I bet you get told that every night.

If he's getting told that "every" night then hes doing better than most. 

9 minutes ago, kenergy said:

If he's getting told that "every" night then hes doing better than most. 

True dat.

Good morning 4 looks like another day same shit as per usual from you.

Didn't your mommy tell you life is perfectable.

3 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

True dat.

Good morning 4 looks like another day same shit as per usual from you.

Didn't your mommy tell you life is perfectable.

Wow. Mommy jokes...very 2020.

19 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Wow. Mommy jokes...very 2020.

Crikey 4 is that it , come on pitch in pull your weight show some flair and more importantly enthusiasm .

Fill your pop gun and fire away.

0E819A31-2D2F-4167-A656-0F3BF560B5C4.thumb.jpeg.fc85af070c87cecd060b5b3f53e435b7.jpeg

On 1/20/2020 at 8:55 PM, NeedAClew said:

Yeah, Larry Ellison has been funding them secretly as part of his grand plan to get reve ge on ETNZ for making him sit there (again) watching Jimmy lose race after race but with no magic comeback. Reason he is getting tired of SGP is that it was just a stress reliever and now it's going to be made redundant.

See, Larry brought the Core guys over and stashed them in Elon Musk's gigafactory and the S+S boat is ready to splash for Cagliari. They got the Chinese to clone the ETNZ simulator and the team is on it day and night.

Old Larry is even planning to get his beard dyed and that thing off his face so that when he and the family show up in Cagliari on Musashi he looks good in the photos when S+S sails out with Oracle on the sails.

So revenge on ETNZ, who he conned into concessions for plucky S+S and also on NYYC for claiming they would set a better tone for the event. He is just scaring the SGP Australia team so he can put several of them on with Canfield. 

Moving right along, I have it on good authority from someone on the short list to be Elon Musk and Grimes' doula that the S+S boat is going to be held in abeyance until challenger selection. Larry originally wanted to make a big splash in Cagliari, but they dropped the boat onto the cradle too hard end of last month (shades of SGP) and damaged a foil arm.

After he stopped screaming (bad example for the kids), Larry decided on a new plan: keep stringing ETNZ along by making a token good faith payment (ostensibly money advanced from a prospective sponsor) and get S+S into just the Challenger selection races. With a mostly ad hoc team training in non real time on the clone simulator, the sandbagging performance will make the "accidents" that ensue look totally plausible. He figures they can take out NYYC (decided he is still pissed at Deano and more so their snooty "tone" comments) and let his boys Jimmy and Ben have at it to take on the Kiwis. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey 4 is that it , come on pitch in pull your weight show some flair and more importantly enthusiasm .

Fill your pop gun and fire away.

0E819A31-2D2F-4167-A656-0F3BF560B5C4.thumb.jpeg.fc85af070c87cecd060b5b3f53e435b7.jpeg

Why? Its not worth it when you have someone who's best effort is mommy jokes. Its a waste of my time.

Anyway, apparently, so someone said earlier, I'm being paid by ETNZ. I hope Dalton is going to back pay me because he sure as hell hasn't paid me anything yet! They haven't even supplied any team kit! Not to worry, I bought my own, because thats what you do when you support a team. 

I better get back to defending the Americas Cup. 

398d5e6c-b7fa-4f4f-ae5b-68d4ad32799c-amc

• Like 1