Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

13 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

So what's been set as the minimum wind strength for racing..? 6 Knots..?

Yup. The lower limit for racing is also affected by the tidal flow factor with a lower true wind speed of 6.5 kts. 12 minute minimums for leg one (VMG 6 kts), 45 minute race limits. 

23 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

I knew North Head is great viewing platform but, Wow.

GM-R, RG, Justin, @airflownz, mikenz2, and others - we all lurk around North Head.

It's Photo Central these days ... :D

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, astro said:

The conditions in the videos would have suited the AC50's.  What were all the excuses for going mono again?

Was it that the gulf waters were too rough?

All very well until you see it wind against tide in the maximum wind range

• Like 5

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Nice video of B2 sailing in light conditions. She looks good has a little splash down but other than that looks the goods.!

Not only that, but she's still on the narrow foils - about 2/3 the area of LR & Rita - not sure about AM.

36 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Yes it is.  Around 10-12 but you still need to get it up.

that's what she said.... sorry a The Office joke.

1 hour ago, uflux said:

All very well until you see it wind against tide in the maximum wind range

On day 1 of the Match you have a 2.6m tide differential at full throttle ebbing.

On the last day you have 1.8m of tide differential ebbing at full throttle. 

A 20+ knot NE'er on either of those days on Course C could be fun to watch...

The Christmas Cup is similar...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, astro said:

The conditions in the videos would have suited the AC50's.  What were all the excuses for going mono again?

Was it that the gulf waters were too rough?

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but conditions at sea change depending on the weather... 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Not only that, but she's still on the narrow foils - about 2/3 the area of LR & Rita - not sure about AM.

Here is a quick comparison vs the AM foils on patriot.  I matched the widths of the masts in the pictures

622475737_PatvsNZB2foilsnov20.thumb.jpg.8f797800a473e54a4e529e4b1e82f12e.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

You haven't been listening - cost!

As if an AC50 costs more?

36 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

match the lengths of the foils and try again, from what we have seen the teams at all at the max foilspan

You have boats at slightly different angles and flat versus anhedral foils.  The only thing we know for sure is that the mast on both boats are the same size, so I tried to match mast sizes.  Plus the AM foil is missing the curl up at the tip.  In the original picture the AM top foils is not as long as the bottom foil because it is at a different angle.  You can go ahead and match them up another way if you think this is not up to your standards.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rh3000 said:

I recall a comment on here the other day suggesting that you aren't legally allowed to cross infront of the mast, but I've just re-read the class rules, and it appears you certainly can.

1254987581_ScreenShot2020-11-24at11_07_48AM.png.f6d9c18a51af58860c74342028787bf4.png

Basically you need to stay within the back 9m (~mast point) of the boat unless crossing, handling sails or trying to fish Outteridge, where you have a 2m window, but if you go more than 11m forward you then need a tether.

1935956145_ScreenShot2020-11-24at11_08_00AM.png.888bcb7b9c309c6ed4a659769c716c49.png

Therefore I think any crosses for ETNZ will happen on front of the mast. Rule 28.8 says entirely behind. Rule 28.9 doesn't but if we assume it is the same then someone going forward who holds out a balancing arm could easily breach that rule.

As I said before,  I think we may get a protest from any team who are not swapping sides if a video shows a finger extending beyond

But as I previously said, that doesn't leave much space in front of the ,mast - 1100mm-9150mm-650mm= 1200mm.

• Like 1

I understand that ETNZ are SA fans, and will paint yellow lines 1.2m forward of the mast as a guide...

OK finally caught up on the thread.

Fascinating design.

Some bits like foredeck pretty much as expected.

That stern & the channel a big surprise (& that stern is ughleh)

Looks very nice up on foils.

With the stern just touching & only in a relatively short length aft its probably only got the min waterplane per the rule so shouldn't be too sticky, though with waves & the shallow slope it may be effectively more -> effectively more sticky.

Doesn't look like pretty hydro for when the windward bilge digs in during bigger touch-downs.

Very interesting times & thanks again to all the pic & video takers!

• Like 1

That video of them slowly coming onto the foil is very cool. I kitefoil and the sensation of coming onto the foil after working the kite hard in marginal conditions is wonderful, you simply take off and cruise from there. And it's great to see windsurf techniques come into play, both with respect to the deck-sweeping main and the twisted-top sail, but I also note that it took one "pump" of the mainsail with the traveler and a slight bear off to get onto the foil, which is exactly what we do on a windfoiler, just we can pump the sail much more quickly and frequently.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, weta27 said:

That's spectaculair, you see the acceleration after lift-off.
Crew is being tucked away underdecks. Logical but surreal.
In Vendee globe you see the same thing.
A grinder must feel like working in a coal mine.
Are the grinders leg driven or by arms?

7 hours ago, Nutta said:

I understand that ETNZ are SA fans, and will paint yellow lines 1.2m forward of the mast as a guide...

depends on what they call infront of the mast

the mast plane starts at 9150

pink line is 1200 in front of mast plane (600 in front of the front of the mast

red line is 1200 in front of the front of the mast leading edge

plenty of room

remember in the last AC who oracle had a guy stretched forward for weight. ETNZ complained but the AC directed that his feet were behind the point allowed so it was acceptable

image.png.58c05cd1bbc82ae3613587d953d68a1f.png

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

but I also note that it took one "pump" of the mainsail with the traveler and a slight bear off to get onto the foil, which is exactly what we do on a windfoiler, just we can pump the sail much more quickly and frequently.

Agreed, but because of the fact that on  these boats pumping the main is so much slower, I think it works slightly differently. I think by hardening the main in and bearing off it is at least as much about creating the extra lateral force needed to lever the boat up using the foil as a fulcrum. Whereas on a wind foiler your faster pump is more about getting a burst of speed.

And NZ (and I suspect GB with that keel they almost share) seemed to do it in 2 stages:

At 1.10 harden in the main and bear off to create a lot of lateral force. Boat pivots so that now only the keel is in the water. So its still providing more 

At 1.25 sheet in again and this time head up. This heading up may even use the momentum of the mast to create more leverage or it may have been a windshift, or something else. Now the keel lifts up and the boat accelerates fully

Also interesting to note that before the first stage of that they were using the full width of traveller

39 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

depends on what they call infront of the mast

the mast plane starts at 9150

pink line is 1200 in front of mast plane (600 in front of the front of the mast

red line is 1200 in front of the front of the mast leading edge

plenty of room

remember in the last AC who oracle had a guy stretched forward for weight. ETNZ complained but the AC directed that his feet were behind the point allowed so it was acceptable

image.png.58c05cd1bbc82ae3613587d953d68a1f.png

Fables of the cup,
Did you know the port and starboard comparments are being connected by three tunnels?
Tim Tom and Tubby, rollerskated supported to get the other side?
Really it's true.

The hula was the best one, they even believed it themselves.

6 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Fables of the cup,
Did you know the port and starboard comparments are being connected by three tunnels?
Really it's true.

not sure what drugs you have taken or not taken today but thank you for your effort, we understand that its a daily struggle for you to button up your shirt

this is what I was referring to ... the AC committee said this was acceptable even though there was a rule stating the sailors couldn't go forward of the foils

image.png.7dafa471d4867ea4bfeaa0287d86ef40.png

1 minute ago, Lickindip said:

not sure what drugs you have taken or not taken today but thank you for your effort, we understand that its a daily struggle for you to button up your shirt

this is what I was referring to ... the AC committee said this was acceptable even though there was a rule stating the sailors couldn't go forward of the foils

Thanks you very much I am an advanced engineer for complex facilities, and I still do.
I even worked for the cup for Larry. rake engineering, the idea wasn't very difficult, the implementation was.

Some ideas might make it but it's just too bizarre. Do not invent jobs for people that might be humiliating.
Carring people for ballast like a coffin is unethical. Maybe they tried the idea....

At least try to see the fun of crazy ideas.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Fables of the cup,
Really it's true.

Isn't there a dyke somewhere waiting for your finger .. or is it fist??B)

33 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

The irony of desperately trying to bring a few kgs forward, whilst having two other heavy turkeys hanging back and out the side at the same time...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Indio said:

Isn't there a dyke somewhere waiting for your finger .. or is it fist??B)

Is that sophisticated? No sorry, I have a nomal sexlife with a normal woman.
Why the hassle, this is the NZ thread. Not american presidential elections they were vry very strange, and the rest of the world looked in disgust.
Falsifcations, threadning, and other Alternative facts
But go ahead, make my day. Too riduclious for words....

7 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Too riduclious for words....

Thank you Schakel, you have made my day!

Riduclious is the perfect word to describe many of the posts on here.

And as you say, the perfect word to describe Trump, Trump-ism and American politics in general.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, weta27 said:

And as you say, the perfect word to describe Trump, Trump-ism and American politics in general.

And they start to believe in it them selves.
I worked with good americans, they are not all bad,
In fact Larry was the nicest and best paying boss I ever had.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Is that sophisticated? No sorry, I have a nomal sexlife with a normal woman.
Why the hassle, this is the NZ thread. Not american presidential elections they were vry very strange, and the rest of the world looked in disgust.
Falsifcations, threadning, and other Alternative facts
But go ahead, make my day. Too riduclious for words....

I was talking about this dyke :D But I agree about The Biggest Loser in the US  elections..

303376581_Dutchboy...jpg.dfd53858ef9cd149435a96c816188d84.jpg

30 minutes ago, weta27 said:

With you on this ... go @Schakel

• Like 1

As soon as I started trainspotting ACspotting I was hooked. Most weekends and school holidays were spent trainspotting in London at great stations such as Paddington and King's Cross and furtive visits to engine sheds with names that would cause any trainspotter's heart to skip a beat. Nine Elms and Stewarts Lane, King's Cross, Old Oak Common and Willesden Junction, these were the premier A-listers. The lure of what might be in the sheds far outweighed the risks of entering them.

Some sheds were quite easy to get round while others were much more difficult. It was quite extraordinary the lengths we would go to get in. At Stewarts Lane I would get down on all fours and creep below the windows of the main entrance gatehouse unseen, followed by a quick sprint to the relative safety of the shed. At Nine Elms I would climb up a small factory wall, walk along the top and then heave myself onto the adjacent shed wall and carefully lower myself down. At King's Cross, notoriously difficult to access to without a permit, my route would take me past the main entrance on Goods Way, up some coal chutes in a nearby coal yard, over the Regents Canal, over some railway land alongside the Midland main line then down some steps which led to the approach road leading to the shed. I'd then hide amongst the lines of goods wagons before venturing out across the shed yard and into the shed. And that was the easy bit!

During one regular Sunday visit to Old Oak Common I noted down all the engines in the shed. I then spent some time clambering over all the engines on the scrap line, which left me with very dirty hands. Walking back through the shed and ignoring the importance of not being seen by shed staff, I rather brazenly entered a small office and asked if there was somewhere I could wash my hands. A man wearing a blue coat stood up and told me to follow him and took me to an outside tap nearby. It was then I noticed just how large his hands were, about one and a half inches thick and about as smooth as a wooden sleeper. With a handful of abrasive cleaning material used to clean grime off engines and a bar of soap, which looked like a brick, he took hold of my hands and proceeded to vigorously scrub them. The ordeal lasted some minutes at the end of which which my hands looked as though they had been rubbed raw. I suppose this was his way of reacting to what he saw as my impudence in entering the shed without permission. I did grin and bear it and several days passed before my hands got their normal colour back and the stinging stopped.

3 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Agreed, but because of the fact that on  these boats pumping the main is so much slower, I think it works slightly differently. I think by hardening the main in and bearing off it is at least as much about creating the extra lateral force needed to lever the boat up using the foil as a fulcrum. Whereas on a wind foiler your faster pump is more about getting a burst of speed.

And NZ (and I suspect GB with that keel they almost share) seemed to do it in 2 stages:

At 1.10 harden in the main and bear off to create a lot of lateral force. Boat pivots so that now only the keel is in the water. So its still providing more 

At 1.25 sheet in again and this time head up. This heading up may even use the momentum of the mast to create more leverage or it may have been a windshift, or something else. Now the keel lifts up and the boat accelerates fully

Also interesting to note that before the first stage of that they were using the full width of traveller

The thing to pay attention to is sheeting of the main. It's a mix of sheeting on for power and easing to reduce loads on the foils, so that the boat can take off. The other thing to note is that the boat is heeled to leeward while accelerating but as soon as they want to foil, they flatten the boat out. Once up on the foils, they need to balance speed and sheeting - the goal will be to sheet on really hard with the traveller up- high,, but you cannot do that until you are moving fast. They only achieve proper height (pointing) once the main is fully sheeted on, but do it too soon and you load the foils and you either go slow or, worst case, come off the foils.

• Like 1

They don’t have to pump the whole main, just the (upper) leech.

One advantage on NZB2 is the sawn off/quadrilateral main clew.....you can control the bottom and leech either as separate or combined operations.

You wouldn’t need much travel on the leech control to flap it around a lot upstairs?

• Like 1

From memory the commentators suggested GA was pumping the wing sail in Bermuda. So I am sure that he is all over that this time as well. 

They can sheet these pretty quickly when needed, although probably not near as fast as the old wing where you could balance the forces to make the load minimal (relatively)

I really dig ETNZs control system for the wing. The cool thing about their "tweaker" which controls the distribution of mainsheet force into either hte leech or foot is that you could always sheet on with the tweaker on hard so you get a quick tighten of the leech with a lot of depth in the sail, then once the loads spike up ease the tweaker to flatten the sail and add twist if you needed it

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

They don’t have to pump the whole main, just the (upper) leech.

One advantage on NZB2 is the sawn off/quadrilateral main clew.....you can control the bottom and leech either as separate or combined operations.

You wouldn’t need much travel on the leech control to flap it around a lot upstairs?

That's totally what's missing in this shot, and the discussion of mainsail control. 

What the hell is going on with the top control zone?

On 11/24/2020 at 8:22 AM, weta27 said:

My highlight was getting to say hello to the legend Gilles Martin-Raget, who fetched up beside me with his camera. Seemed like a very nice guy.

DSC_1765.JPG

Legend indeed!  Next time you share a rock be sure to shake his hand.

131 professional photographers took part in the special edition of the "Mirabaud Yacht Racing Image of the Century" photo competition, designed to celebrate the best sailing images taken since 1 January 2000. Gilles Martin-Raget (FRA) won the main prize. 

November 24, 2020 - The international jury decided to honour the French photographer Gilles Martin-Raget and his image of the Orma 60 Fujifilm II trimaran, taken during the Course des Phares 2002. This picture shows the famous French sailor Loïck Peyron, in a very special stretch of water called "Le trou du diable", located south of the island of Ushant, in Brittany. A sailing photographer since 1986, Gilles Martin-Raget is based in Marseille and regularly contributes to the most prestigious sailing publications in addition to being the official photographer of several sailors and teams. 

Sail-World reports ETNZ went for a sail around Waiheke yesterday. There can be a few good waves on the outside in an Nor-Easterly. An excellent proving sail and well away from prying eyes.

Watching that Gilles video of them from behind taking off on the 23rd, is amazing.  The traveller in particular but the whole choreography of it all is so fascinating.  Thank you Gilles I will watch that many times each time seeing something new!

1 hour ago, KiwiJoker said:

Legend indeed!  Next time you share a rock be sure to shake his hand.

Yes I did. I have admired his work for as long as I've followed the AC.

That big flat arse sure makes Te Rehutai very stable whilst down speed manoeuvring compared to the other syndicates tip trucks..

2 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

What about the big shadow between the two arrows?  Surely that's something!

Oh My God.

Its fucking bigfoot! 

• Like 2

Congratulations, ETNZ!!

EMIRATES TEAM NEW ZEALAND RANKED #3 IN GLOBAL SPORTS TECHNOLOGY POWER LIST

In the 2020 Sports Technology Annual Review and Industry Power List published this month, Emirates Team New Zealand has been ranked at #3 on the Global Power List by the STA Group and the English Institute of Sport.

The report, which looks at the influence of technology in sport ranked Emirates Team New Zealand behind F1 & the Tour de France respectively, but ahead of 47 other sporting powerhouse teams and governing bodies including the NFL, NBA, Wimbledon, PGA Golf, Nascar, EA Sports, Formula E, Barcelona FC, Nike, FIFA and ESPN.

In the 2020 Sports Technology Annual Review and Industry Power List published this month, Emirates Team New Zealand has been ranked at #3 on the Global Power List by the STA Group and the English Institute of Sport.

The report, which looks at the influence of technology in sport ranked Emirates Team New Zealand behind F1 & the Tour de France respectively, but ahead of 47 other sporting powerhouse teams and governing bodies including the NFL, NBA, Wimbledon, PGA Golf, Nascar, EA Sports, Formula E, Barcelona FC, Nike, FIFA and ESPN.

m4421_Sports-Technology-Annual-Review-2020.pdf

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indio said:

Congratulations, ETNZ!!

EMIRATES TEAM NEW ZEALAND RANKED #3 IN GLOBAL SPORTS TECHNOLOGY POWER LIST

m4421_Sports-Technology-Annual-Review-2020.pdf

If it's that good, I guess it is worth repeating. 

2 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

What about the big shadow between the two arrows?  Surely that's something!

It's bigfoot 

7 hours ago, Priscilla said:

FujifilmTrimaraMartinRagetMirabaud2020-IMG_9456.thumb.jpg.ffa116d72c71ac9814296043e93d95c8.jpg

That's a pretty insane looking bit of water!  "a very special stretch of water called "Le trou du diable", located south of the island of Ushant, in Brittany" (Devil's Hole)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rh3000 said:

@zillafreak eat your heart out :D

2067741889_ScreenShot2020-11-25at2_51_44PM.thumb.png.f1d49c14d5d815fea0fd94d4906b8271.png

Hey as soon as you explain this, you go girl! 

I have no idea what this could be. Must be some thin layered sensor under the skin? Ideas? (real ones fucktards, not aliens)

1925114864_P1200189(2).thumb.JPG.f0e8a6d81326e166d990c2614fd56913.jpg

1 minute ago, zillafreak said:

Hey as soon as you explain this, you go girl! 

I have no idea what this could be. Must be some thin layered sensor under the skin? Ideas? (real ones fucktards, not aliens)

1925114864_P1200189(2).thumb.JPG.f0e8a6d81326e166d990c2614fd56913.jpg

You can see the bottom shape matches with the build picture, including the tiny hole.

The top shape? Didn't someone else already show it matched with the track of the mainsheet traveller?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

You can see the bottom shape matches with the build picture, including the tiny hole.

The top shape? Didn't someone else already show it matched with the track of the mainsheet traveller?

Bottom is easy, drainage. Top? WTF I have no idea. Doesnt make any sense to me. I cant imagine its some sort of external manifestation of internal strengthening from the traveller. The picture Priscilla just posted would argue against that (and other images that show NOTHING). All I can come up with is some thin film or imbedded sensor? I have no fucking idea. Hoping some of our resident geniuses may have an explanation. 

I solved it - it's a fender vent. It will be chromed up before March as one of the go-fast upgrades.

fender_vents_gallery_8.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

Bottom is easy, drainage. Top? WTF I have no idea. Doesnt make any sense to me. I cant imagine its some sort of external manifestation of internal strengthening from the traveller. The picture Priscilla just posted would argue against that (and other images that show NOTHING). All I can come up with is some thin film or imbedded sensor? I have no fucking idea. Hoping some of our resident geniuses may have an explanation. 

Secondary                                                        Heuristic                                                          Analysis        for                                           Defensive                                                        Online                                                              Warfare

7 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Nice one @Priscilla that made laugh out loud. Clearly the ghost of Sir Peter Blake

And one of the biggest crocks of shit in history. About as easy to identify as a fake as Trump. But that's for a different thread. 

Editor: can we automatically erase stupid unrelated posts like this one (mine and others) and focus on the boats? Anyone with me on this? Or maybe that's the soul of SA?

5 minutes ago, Kiwicupfan said:

Secondary                                                        Heuristic                                                          Analysis        for                                           Defensive                                                        Online                                                              Warfare

Quite an interesting first post newbie. Now fuck off!  (traditional SA welcome)

4 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey Zilla will be beside himself with this collection if indentations.

839366660_ScreenShot2020-11-25at4_29_39PM.thumb.png.447caa8696268687c22f683d6062306b.png

The bottom two are drainage flaps. The top one is a gun turret. 

• Like 1

I dont know, I'm pretty sure I can see something even on this view. Cant quite make out what it is, but NOT a reflection..

1605159722_ScreenShot2020-11-25at12_32_05AM.thumb.png.2a78c862e50531da65deb8a585d43652.png

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

A Faraday mesh to blocking em and rf signals from some sensitive onboard measurement instruments - neural recordings?

26 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

And one of the biggest crocks of shit in history. About as easy to identify as a fake as Trump. But that's for a different thread.

I'm a tad confused. Can you clarify if you're referring to the shroud of Turin, Trumps chances of a second term, or the imperfections in ETNZ's build?

8 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

The ehman vids are barely watchable or coherent half the time,

Man who loves the sound of his own voice, our Tommy-E

1 hour ago, zillafreak said:

I post a bit back commenting on cut outs in the pods where the traveller goes in. You can't see those in this boat construction video. 

Did they make a mod just before roll out to extend the traveller track into the pods to give greater range? That could have meant cutting a chunk out of the top of the pod and reinforcing against the outer skin. 

Or is the second picture just a a protective pad for the pod against the mainsheet when the traveller is all the way down and amin eased? 
663498657_nocutout_LI.thumb.jpg.a8b37d5c1462e58fabafbaa69b0257da.jpg

cut out.png

25 minutes ago, Indio said:

Man who loves the sound of his own voice, our Tommy-E

It’s just the wild speculation that’s utterly absurd. Especially when it’s repeating some of the more wild theories directly from here. 

5 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

It’s just the wild speculation that’s utterly absurd. Especially when it’s repeating some of the more wild theories directly from here. 

Has anyone seen te and spinbot together in the same room?

Breakdown of systems we can see

JIB SHEET

Inside on ETNZ 1 Winch is third man back

Shot shows sheet lead running inboard then fwd

Next shot shows Jib traveler photo'd port side 

Sheet runs from winch aft up the centerline and runs outboard to Trav car then up to floating block back to Trav car and dead ends outboard.

Minimal force to adjust / lots of for/aft movement

ETNZ Boat 2

Winch is further aft and sheet exits onto deck (yellow arrow)

Now runs like a normal sheet and dead ends to sail

Trav slot denotes there isn't much for aft movement now

1.thumb.png.e4d9d1e2da29c995284e58db1e835de5.png

traveller.thumb.jpg.e77f66d16e9ce5c34af4a6a08fab9a06.jpg

ETNZ B2 Jib Trav.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barfy said:

Has anyone seen te and spinbot together in the same room?

its when he said to the 'expert'

" I was told by someone who wouldn't come on the show about X, can you tell me what you said  about X again please? "

cant even fake his own sources correctly.