Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

37 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Love Granny Herald's reporting on the situation:

"Emirates Team New Zealand were not invited or part of toady's meeting. All we have to go off is the statement that the Challenger of Record issued earlier this morning."

- bit strong calling the challengers 'toadies' ..??

well played.

3 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

Yes, Salty.  It would be nice to get source or attribution for your post.

Can confirm the email release from Grant  is correct, it is from an email sent today to suppliers and team partners. Cheers @Salty Seacock, I did not know if it was public release yet so didn't share. 

3 hours ago, AKL wino said:

source Salty?

Also received this email. 

10 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

It was a fckg amateur video not put out by AM.  Can’t you read?

That amateur video shows the AM AC75 foiling. Something it was designed to do. As every other AC75 was designed to do, and are doing.

This all came about when you said the Kiwi's couldn't keep their test boat on its foils. That was a stupid statement.

28 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

That amateur video shows the AM AC75 foiling. Something it was designed to do. As every other AC75 was designed to do, and are doing.

This all came about when you said the Kiwi's couldn't keep their test boat on its foils. That was a stupid statement.

You said there was no new information or evidence of AM since the original clips.  Then you said it was hype footage put out by NYYC, which it wasn’t.  Now you change the subject and go off on some tangent... 

2 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

You said there was no new information or evidence of AM since the original clips.  Then you said it was hype footage put out by NYYC, which it wasn’t.  Now you change the subject and go off on some tangent... 

There is nothing. That "Video" is no longer on you tube, and the latest video is a puff video from the team about trust being earned.

9 hours ago, AKL wino said:

source Salty?

Written on the sail.

I am flabbergasted that two events I have been anticipating are both being effected by COVID19, obviously this 1st ACWS event.

The other is the 22nd anniversary of Sakura Con, the oldest anime convention in the northwest (of the United States).

And both are contingent on the decisions of government officials.

Quite apart from what is finally decided re the Sardinia event my governor will give a speech tomorrow that could decide the the fate of the con (which by tradition is held Easter weekend when the "Sakura" is in bloom, I would gather that most know we are talking cherry blossoms).

In truth my fingers are crossed most strongly for the con, a new guest has just signed on, the man is now in the Guinness book of records as the most prolific voice actor in video games, but to me his anime work puts that in the shade, I spoke with him in 2012 & he is by far the chillest of all voice actors, we are talking the one & only Steven J Blum! 

^ that test boat is misnamed, what would it be in the native tongue for "sexy beast" my jaw is on floor every time I see it!

4 hours ago, Forourselves said:

“Single use” blue bucket.  Nice.

• Like 2

Some interesting white markings on Te Kahu's starboard foil in the first vid posted by Four, as well as a fence or mini bulb on the outer part of the inner blade. Again she's an amazing little boat and would make for a great class. I'm sure in the future we'll see maybe a one design class based around her dimensions. For the type of racing SailGp is trying to do, a Te Kahu type boat would be a much better choice than the F50. It looks so much easier to sail, but still with the high speeds, and logistically much more sensible than the silly wing things.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

The organisers are highly conscious of the situation in many countries regarding the effect that COVID-19/Coronavirus is having on both sporting and public events, however are encouraged by the statement issued by the UK Government Department of Culture, Media and Sport saying there is ‘no rationale’ to postponing sporting events in Britain and that they are unlikely to be affected by coronavirus in the immediate future.

NOW WHAT THE F**K  DOES THIS MEAN? Looks like it was written by Trump

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Looks like it was written by Trump

pff in your dreams .. trump cant write

so ffs stop overrating the man

28 minutes ago, Xlot said:

NOW WHAT THE F**K  DOES THIS MEAN? Looks like it was written by Trump

Genuinely you don’t understand that? Holy Crap.

“organisers are happy to continue with event plans as the UK government has no plans to cancel anything. “

7 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Some interesting white markings on Te Kahu's starboard foil in the first vid posted by Four, as well as a fence or mini bulb on the outer part of the inner blade. Again she's an amazing little boat and would make for a great class. I'm sure in the future we'll see maybe a one design class based around her dimensions. For the type of racing SailGp is trying to do, a Te Kahu type boat would be a much better choice than the F50. It looks so much easier to sail, but still with the high speeds, and logistically much more sensible than the silly wing things.

WTF?

Annotation 2020-03-12 061222.png

5 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

WTF?

Annotation 2020-03-12 061222.png

Yeah that was what I was referring to. Funny little thing......fnose what it does.

1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

Yeah that was what I was referring to. Funny little thing......fnose what it does.

Camera perhaps? Watching what's going on with the foils?

26 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Camera perhaps? Watching what's going on with the foils?

As good a guess as any.

17 hours ago, animeproblem said:

I am flabbergasted that two events I have been anticipating are both being effected by COVID19, obviously this 1st ACWS event.

The other is the 22nd anniversary of Sakura Con, the oldest anime convention in the northwest (of the United States).

March Madness

Being a boomer had to get on the google to look that one up.

Think I will stick with the AC.

2ADD9618-A26C-4ADD-9B92-2B963BFD96C0.thumb.jpg.0b62ea80a1f9f3909efa0fdda0fbe905.jpg

21 hours ago, Forourselves said:

There is nothing. That "Video" is no longer on you tube, and the latest video is a puff video from the team about trust being earned.

Ok, so since you didn’t see it, it didn’t happen....   

6 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Do you think they were trying to sail in a straight line?

Nope...cos a straight line is not sailing to the conditions.

Aeration from wakes a problem, as suggested by someone earlier?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Do you think you could walk one?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

What a complete dork comment.

Be a fucking miracle if you can show us yourself straight-lining whilst sailing or anyone else for that matter.

Buy a sail boat and get back to us when you have something to show n tell. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Ok, so since you didn’t see it, it didn’t happen....   

You mean, since no one can see it lol

• Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Straight line, diagonal line, who cares, the only line that matters is the winning line.

29 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Straight line, diagonal line, who cares, the only line that matters is the winning line.

Line honours matter the most.

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Line honours matter the most.

Would love to see the AC run with Line, PHRF, and IRC handicaps. Who gets the cup? :P

4 hours ago, Priscilla said:

What a complete dork comment.

Be a fucking miracle if you can show us yourself straight-lining whilst sailing or anyone else for that matter.

Buy a sail boat and get back to us when you have something to show n tell. 

Remember the @The_Alchemist towed a dink across one of the great Lakes and was surprised when he lost it. 

Big experienced sailor. Maybe not his boat tho.

On 3/11/2020 at 9:08 AM, Forourselves said:

For me, it looks like they're trying/testing to 'crab walk' Te Kahu to minimize twa/course over ground and maximize vmg upwind (between 1:10 and 1:20). Finding out max. possible gain most likely involves the odd touchdown when you go mad on the angle of attac of the foils ;-) (lift vector of the foils not going straight up but also sideways by not lowering the arms completely). That would mean not going where you point the boat...is that still a straight line? :D

Might only be perspective/ movement from camera position relative to Te Kahu, though. Or a totally stupid idea from my side... :P

Just stalled out The foils in the boat wake.nothing more 

very common occurrence when foiling and crossing whitewater or wake, 

• Like 2

As always, cherry pick your video moments at your own risk, or at least the risk of the point you're trying to make. 

Every one of these teams has great video moments where they appear to be done a hundred knots and the ride is smooth as silk, and just as many moments where they look like they're pearl diving. What we have on video is probably a fraction of a percent of the sailing time, and we have no idea of the context of what they're actually trying to accomplish.

Once had a really great race, that we won by literally a quarter mile in a big fleet. After racing a couple boats way better than us pointed out that we'd clearly identified the sea breeze by sailing way off to the left in the pre start, and how clever we were. 

We had both an over ride on the jib sheet, and pretty much everyone needed to pee, and we barely made it back for the start. The key there is just to nod sagely.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SaltyPuppy said:

For me, it looks like they're trying/testing to 'crab walk' Te Kahu to minimize twa/course over ground and maximize vmg upwind (between 1:10 and 1:20). Finding out max. possible gain most likely involves the odd touchdown when you go mad on the angle of attac of the foils ;-) (lift vector of the foils not going straight up but also sideways by not lowering the arms completely). That would mean not going where you point the boat...is that still a straight line? :D

Might only be perspective/ movement from camera position relative to Te Kahu, though. Or a totally stupid idea from my side... :P

Now that is a good response instead of just playground insults.  It does look like they are trying something, because they look very squirrelly.  The camera boat does zigzag some, but that is by far the most active "condition corrections" we have seen since the video of AM zigzagging in the wind.  They could really be pushing their VMG.

I admit, my original comment was a little poke, but I only asked it that way because so many of the Kiwi's on this board are so defensive with no objectivity.

58 minutes ago, Rainier said:

I like the little boats better than the big ones...

It does look more fun and responsive.

14 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

I admit, my original comment was a little poke, but I only asked it that way because so many of the Kiwi's on this board are so defensive with no objectivity.

Pretty juvenile playground behaviour but I suppose that sums up the post coital glow in the house of Alchy & Smack.

19 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Pretty juvenile playground behaviour but I suppose that sums up the post coital glow in the house of Alchy & Smack.

Oh yes, Mr Highroad...  Sorry to subject your highness to such a trivial matter....

Looking at that vid, and previous vids there is a remarkable variation in boat handling and ride control. I think what that last vid was showing us waa b-crew getting some practice.

1 hour ago, Mitre cut said:

Looking at that vid, and previous vids there is a remarkable variation in boat handling and ride control. I think what that last vid was showing us waa b-crew getting some practice.

Maybe the a-crew were out on the piss the night before? ;-)

5 hours ago, Priscilla said:

I don't conflate the two...

One is an ardent, vocal and partisan supporter for the US effort (fair play to him!), the other is a broken individual so desperate for attention that they have resorted to trolling in order to simply drag the unaware into a tussles... 

Bummer about the Sardegna regatta.

Portsmouth will no doubt be fucked too. 

I'm heading offshore until this thing blows over.

Bat soup.

4 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

Bummer about the Sardegna regatta.

Portsmouth will no doubt be fucked too. 

I'm heading offshore until this thing blows over.

Bat soup.

And in US no other sports to watch on TV either. Cable better refund Mr Clew's MLB (baseball) package. 

Guess I am going to have to figure out how to do e-sailing. I think my new laptop is capable. I am not, but after I finish taxes I will clean up the basement "office" and get to "work." Mr Clew has to work from home until further notice. He has the old laptop. ;)

Heard there are BOGO sales on freeze dried bat soup and snake jerky.

9 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

This might be the reason some teams are trying boomless - hard to fit all of that hardware into the two skins and keep things fair in all trim conditions.

9 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

And in US no other sports to watch on TV either. Cable better refund Mr Clew's MLB (baseball) package. 

Guess I am going to have to figure out how to do e-sailing. I think my new laptop is capable. I am not, but after I finish taxes I will clean up the basement "office" and get to "work." Mr Clew has to work from home until further notice. He has the old laptop. ;)

Heard there are BOGO sales on freeze dried bat soup and snake jerky.

There's boardrooms a plenty working out ways to further monetise this pandemic and they're proving to be successful. 

All the beer and circus events are cancelling. The F1 in Melbourne was cancelled at the last minute and after most of the people had already arrived proving there's not a lot of thought going into this thing. 

The economic changes to the worlds economy will bring about a forced recession and many will suffer loss; mostly the wealthy as the poor have little to lose. Yes, this includes you with the three rental properties, you greedy bastards. 

A total collapse of Americas healthcare corporations and insurers may happen and if so, perhaps the fools will finally wake up to the fact that healthcare is a human right and not a privilege for the wealthy. 

People you know will get I'll and die. Be prepared to pay a fortune for funeral flowers as florists will be making bank too.

As I clearly have no friends, I should be ok. You popular types will most likely catch Covid-19 from a mate and be able to hold hands, as the healthcare system is so overwhelmed that they can't supply your pneumonia ravaged lungs oxygen and you can die together or in a group.

Beer and isolation is best. 

And some said I was insane to prepare for this a decade ago. As I sit here polishing my Benelli Super Black Eagle, I wonder who will visit first?

• Like 3

^ Any man who owns a Benelli can’t be all bad ...

^^What if I bring bat soup?  Found a recipe on the web I'm dying to try.

First ahole I see on an electric scooter on the running trail wearing a #BoomerRemover t-shirt, I'm buying one of those Benelli thingamajigs!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Xlot said:

There are always exceptions to the rule...

I’m happy with my Benelli 

• Like 2

• Like 1

Meanwhile ETNZ just keeps sailing....

• Like 8

^Gives me a bit of a lift to see that, things are getting pretty dire around here, just about everything has been closed by order of our Gov.

And Sakura Con has been cancelled, not postponed, flat ass not happening.

49 minutes ago, uflux said:

Meanwhile ETNZ just keeps sailing....

Am I imagining a wide horizontal structure at the top of the rig in the opening few seconds?

Wind gear? Cameras?

7 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Am I imagining a wide horizontal structure at the top of the rig in the opening few seconds?

Wind gear? Cameras?

I see it, thin rod or such.

What’s the name of the ship ETNZ’s boat is aboard on? 

If it left Singapore on March 3 bound for Cagliari (or Napoli, or ?) then it may be identifiable, and so then AIS trackable.

no need to look at the top of the mast when there is this hanging off the (side?) of the boat

still taken at 13seconds

image.png.fcf636a5848266e1b98ddfba171ca420.png

• Like 2

haha, my guess is a pole for a camera to look straight down on the foil or back up at the sails

17 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Perhaps a social distancing proximity sensor?

Very good. :-)

'the diamond' never looked so good!

I certainly hope ETNZ got all their sponsorship money upfront and have it all tucked away securely in their bank account. With all this turmoil in the aviation industry, sponsorship's might get a haircut in cost cutting exercises, subject to the contractual arrangements that are in place. Here is AUS, Qantas has just cut back 90% of it's international flights until at least May.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Flippin Out said:

I certainly hope ETNZ got all their sponsorship money upfront and have it all tucked away securely in their bank account. With all this turmoil in the aviation industry, sponsorship's might get a haircut in cost cutting exercises, subject to the contractual arrangements that are in place. Here is AUS, Qantas has just cut back 90% of it's international flights until at least May.

Makes sense. Also, isn’t the Emirates CEO - the one who’s a fan of TNZ - retiring next month?

OTOH, Prada must have taken a huge hit in China, INEOS’ crude price crashed ...

Will AM win by default?

8 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Makes sense. Also, isn’t the Emirates CEO - the one who’s a fan of TNZ - retiring next month?

Will AM win by default?

Yeah, ‘cos Airbus is thriving in this environment. 

6EFEB5BE-BF0B-4D27-A86E-971225398511.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xlot said:

Will AM win by default?

Ineos are not a crude extraction company. 

they make shit  with petrol chemicals.. Essentially the price of the raw material they use went through the floor.

On 3/14/2020 at 12:41 PM, Xlot said:

6000 rounds through the Benelli and it still thumps like new. There are better shotguns but, they're mostly for guys that polish more than shoot. 

On 3/14/2020 at 11:29 AM, DayTripper said:

Mine was fussy, it wouldn't eat crap heavy reloads.

Mine eats anything you put in it, haven't tried really light loads...............but why would you. 

19 hours ago, mad said:

Mine eats anything you put in it, haven't tried really light loads...............but why would you. 

I put lighter loads through the SBE3 when I'm introducing people to the gun. I've had plenty of experience with this model having had three and currently own two copies. The first SBE was purchased on 2005. That gun had around 14,000 rounds through it before I swapped it for a well used G19.

I've heard some stories about shitty copies but never met the owner nor looked at one. Inertia loading is by far and away the most reliable. Gas guns are not for me.

My only complaint is that that the standard stock is garbage. Both of mine are new and unused. I put a walnut stock on each copy the day I purchased them. 

But hey. That's not talk about sailing. 

2 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

Inertia loading is by far and away the most reliable.

No, break action is the most reliable, never had a failure to feed, any crappy reload would always feed and go bang. Especially maximum shot and a lot of slow burning powder loads, for shooting possums out of the crowns of shelter belt trees.

Guys, sorry if I repost here what I wrote on the Portsmouth Event thread but I think it pertinent also in the Defender thread. 

Until the event it's officially cancelled, teams have to send their boats in UK. Every team will have delays due to this epidemic situation. LR is now in the crysis epicenter. Ineos is likely next. Then AM. I hope every country will take precautions, the sooner the better. I really hope it never gets to NZ, but Te Ahie is somewhere between Singapore and Europe. I know for sure that LR keep training (better say they will when they'll fix the bow). Ineos just decided to go in UK, so they go away from a country in the heat of covid to the country next in line. Porthsmouth Event will be cancelled for sure. In China people are facing the 51th day of quarantine.  51 days. And UK Government just decided to ignore the situation. So bie bie Portsmouth Event. AM just shipped the boat to Europe, at least they still have The Mule to train. Persico is closed, UK yards will close, USA yards will close. Now that B2 lounch is quite imminent. Maybe all the teams should think of going to NZ just after B2 lounch. If there will be a B2 lounch. No ACWS event is not only bad for the visibility of the Cup (sponsors) but most for designers and sailors. We still don't know how this boats perform 1 vs 1. And teams can't even sail B1 vs B2, so there is no way to test it. There's a reason why the ACWS were scheduled in April and June, as you know, and it is that designers could still make changes to B2s after seeing the boats in 1vs1 sailing.  To cancel or postpone the event without postponing the Cup is useless for designing purpose. Every sport competition in the world has been suspended / postponed, but AC can't. Madness. And what for ? Because "sponsors want the Cup dates to be locked" ??  Because Auckland have to host other major events after the Cup?  That's absurd. They're postponing NBA, Champions League, events with far more sponsors involved and a lot - a lot - more money invested in. Far more than America's Cup.  But America's Cup can't be postponed. "There's a lot of time, it's a year from now" everyone says. I'm sure that next year we'll be out of this, but "a year from now" is today when you have to finish designing B2, then to lounch it, sail it, send it to NZ.  Now Europe (and soon US)  are / will be in shutdown due to a pandemic (yeah, pandemic, OMS tells that) emergency. People try to smart work as much as they can, but I don't know if you can run the simulation/design an America's Cup boat from home, and for sure you can't build it. So it seems  we'll have a Cup where teams have small-to-nothing 1 vs 1 sailing experience. With radical new boats. Hard boats to sail. Maybe not all the teams will actually have a boat (I don't consider B1 a competition boat, maybe years ago, now B1 is for testing only). Wow, that's great. I think that the best thing to do is just delay everything. Delay the Cup, delay the ACWS. Challengers will have more time to recover, design and build B2s,  Defender will have more time to design, test and sail a winning boat, and sail against the challengers, wich could be quite useful.  The Cup is not only the final regattas,  maybe it was like this in past editions, but now the America's Cup is a multi-year event, and if teams loose 6  months  due to a world-wide emergency I think it wise to at least consider a delay. Time was already ticking  before this worldwide emergency, how can we hope for a fair competition now when the teams have to manage months and months of delays? The only other option is to change the Protocol and allow teams to sail B1 vs B2. If they'll have two boats.  

• Like 1