Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

That's all for today, there are videos of a couple of other runs on my channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRUBHYcO_aKtnPfkiyMp-VQ/). They've just headed back to base with Te Kāhu under tow. I was hoping they would sail up the harbour but unfortunately not today.

For those wondering, the camera isn't anything extreme it's an off the shelf Panasonic DC-FZ80. They come up on trademe pretty often now days.

• Like 7

@mikenz2 Thanks a sight for sore eyes.  Seeing Te Kahu flying around.  There are the occasional splash downs, But of course us fanboys will say "when you are riding on such thin fast foils, pushing the very limits" you have to expect a few until you tame the beast!

Has there been work done to the hull?  Might just be my eyes deceiving me in old age, but this looks like quite a different profile to me

ETNZ2.png

that's tempered by others that think if you cant run a track bike on a velodrome and do sub 50 second ks

from the day you jump on it

you are a write off and will never amount to anything

So by that article, American Magic haven't been on the water during the pandemic in the States...

"Almost regardless of the on the water program, the design and build "bubbles" continue, with the sailing "bubble" having to make-do with clocking up the "sailing" hours in a very realistic simulator facility."

On 5/2/2020 at 9:11 AM, mikenz2 said:

They're out again this morning. No lead boat, so definitely not under tow and a few maneuvers this time. Someone head to North Head with a big camera?

Youtube is still processing, 1080 will turn up eventually.

Good opportunity to estimate speed. At roughly 0:35 & 3:20 go past the same channel market in opposite directions. Upwind 27.8 knots, downwind 38.9 knots

• Like 4

1 hour ago, uflux said:

So by that article, American Magic haven't been on the water during the pandemic 

Well but good news is Pensacola is close to the border so they could go up to Georgia for waxing, massages, tats before Fla opened up 

• Like 2

Te Kāhu was just been towed out through the harbour. Only the tow boat with it at the moment, no chase boats yet.

1 hour ago, mikenz2 said:

Te Kāhu was just been towed out through the harbour. Only the tow boat with it at the moment, no chase boats yet.

They're hiding behind Browns Island so I can't see them today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Sneaky trickster buggers

1 hour ago, mikenz2 said:

Just headed past North head and up the North Shore beaches somewhere.

are they up yet

are they up yet

.are they up yet

where are they

are they up yet

• Like 1

Still running mast-head cameras, drone in attendance

DSC_0381.jpg

• Like 9

Running repairs on the foil (ON the foil ...!)

DSC_0397.jpg

DSC_0400.jpg

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

just testing for the extra righting moment ... 1 man or 2 :lol:

So, torpedoes are so AC75, 1.01.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, weta27 said:

DSC_0397.jpg

DSC_0400.jpg

I be very surprised if Wetapix 2 above did not go viral. ;-) Nice work.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, weta27 said:

DSC_0381.jpg

Very flat hull from the back.

12 minutes ago, weta27 said:

DSC_0397.jpg

DSC_0400.jpg

C'mon, it's a test. ;)

• Like 1

Torpedo yeah, and I think they've got cameras mounted on a foil tip!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, weta27 said:

DSC_0397.jpg

DSC_0400.jpg

Hey! .. those guys are supposed to be 2.0 metres apart .. :)

• Like 2

The steaming pile of dogshit usually found in another thread will have made his jocks all sticky looking at these pics...

2 minutes ago, Terry Hollis said:

Hey! .. those guys are supposed to be 2.0 metres apart .. :)

Just throw in a tack - sorted.

if possible, I think she looks even more slippery than before the break - wow, she can move!

DSC_0413.jpg

DSC_0414.jpg

DSC_0415.jpg

DSC_0417.jpg

DSC_0420.jpg

• Like 6

im expecting to see ~ 20% of the mass going into a torpedo bulb with a little extra fairing of grp

and shorter in length on b2

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/news/glenn-ashby-feature-broad-reach-radio

Glenn Ashby to feature on Broad Reach Radio

Issue date
7 May 2020

Emirates Team New Zealand's Glenn Ashby is the main guest on tomorrow's fifth episode of Broad Reach Radio - the Yachting New Zealand podcast.

Ashby is this country's favourite Australian sailor after helping Emirates Team New Zealand win the last America's Cup in Bermuda and he delves into that campaign as well as how the current one is shaping up and what we can expect to see on the water. The podcast will be published on Friday afternoon and you can find it on Podbean, Spotify, Apple and all the major podcast apps or follow the Yachting New Zealand Facebook page.

We've so far had a range of some of New Zealand's top sailors on the show:

• Peter Burling and Blair Tuke
  • Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie
  • Phil Robertson
  • Bianca Cook

The podcast will feature a range of topics from interviews with top sailors of today and yesteryear to chats with people in the sailing and boating industries. It aims to be informative, entertaining, educational or just something for people to feel connected to the sport. 

You can find links to the first four episodes here and this will be updated each week.

• Like 1

@weta27 do you have any good "before-and-after-lockdown" pics of the hull profile from similar angles?  I posted this previously, but to the naked eye it looks like there has seem some serious modification to the fore section (but that may be down to me not paying attention previously)

Hi BSPN, I think I know the image you are talking about, which looked like a video screen grab - maybe it was an artefact, because to my eye,there hasn't been any change.

I got a reasonable "after" today, but I don't have a comparable "before".

Here is an RG shot from the launch, for a rough guide.

DSC_0406-crop.jpg

TeKahu-launch-RGladwell.jpg

• Like 1

Hmmm yeah I think you're right and there is no change.  It must be the complete lack of anything happening AC-wise over the last couple of months that made me imagine something was different.  Thanks

• Like 1

Let the CCP save the cup for the covid19 disruptions it help release?

1 hour ago, mad said:

Interesting with the political connotations attached to them.  

As opposed to five eyes spying??

8 minutes ago, uflux said:

:D

22 minutes ago, uflux said:

At least the Kiwis are a participant and not just a victim. 

In the US there are warnings that China state sponsored hackers are after COVID19 and vaccine info and data.

Watch out for the free phones.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Miffy said:

At least the Kiwis are a participant and not just a victim. 

I would use the word accomplice...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

In the US there are warnings that China state sponsored hackers are after COVID19 and vaccine info and data.

Not sure the Kiwis are exactly leading the world in C-19 vaccine research. Though given that there are over 120 projects currently working on a vaccine worldwide, maybe the Shaky Isles is as good a place as any to hide a secret lab… ;-)

I think the Chinese are pretty keen to be first to develop a vaccine so they can use it as leverage against blame for starting this mess.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RobG said:

Not sure the Kiwis are exactly leading the world in C-19 vaccine research. Though given that there are over 120 projects currently working on a vaccine worldwide, maybe the Shaky Isles is as good a place as any to hide a secret lab… ;-)

I think the Chinese are pretty keen to be first to develop a vaccine so they can use it as leverage against blame for starting this mess.

Awww shucks - exceptionalism much mate? :-D

We are involved in leading clinical trial research - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12325518

We appear to be leading the world in pandemic management at least.

coronavirus-ft-2020-04-18.png.be2448a19badcda20152b5aecc953793.png

It's likely we'll be independently developing our own vaccine candidate too... mainly because we'll likely be at the back of the queue

Cheers but :-)

4 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

It's likely we'll be independently developing our own vaccine candidate too... mainly because we'll likely be at the back of the queue

Pretty sure first to a working vaccine will patent it then licence the fuck out of it so any country with reasonable facilities will be making their own.  IF it is possible for one company to make a vaccine then its possible for another company to do it as well.  It is much easier to make a whole lot of money quickly by "sharing" the tech than make a little more trying to milk 100% profit while defending patents in court.  

Whoever comes up with a Vaccine assuming it is a privately owned company and it is shown to be close to 100% successful could justifiably sell the tech to every 1st and 2nd world country on earth for $1B+ each. 

Patents will be interesting.  "we are in this together", funding provided by countries, only greed thinks like patents?

17 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

Patents will be interesting.  "we are in this together", funding provided by countries, only greed thinks like patents?

This is some interesting news - https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2020/05/coronavirus-new-zealand-fails-to-join-global-covid-19-vaccine-fundraiser.html

Will be telling to hear what AshCinda have to say on this....

I was looking at photos of the little kiwi (test boat) at sail-world.  That's a very pretty place ya'll are at. Nice.

Don't worry. I will not tell anyone. 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2020 at 10:43 AM, weta27 said:

DSC_0381.jpg

Excellent stuff @weta27 Thanks.

Great shots all round. Great to finally see the whole Leech - how the gap, so widely discusssed prviously - closes at  mid height and how the systems allow Zero to lots of twist - as written here and in the Ineos thread. Great sail control and shape allround.

Nice also to see Bulbed foils make an appearance - as predicted - but the million dollar question is whether the bulbless variants will remain as a preferred low  wind lift off solution, and whether other teams are spotted with their own Bulbless variants? 

Too much sailing on the bulbless variants suggests that they are not just a dummy step to mislead other design teams. Certainly will keep them guessing, and now that wind limits are set in stone, determine whether they need to chase lower wind lift off and higher lift at the expense of greater drag and or possibly less RM than Bulbed variants permit.

No such thing as a free lunch when it comes to design purity, just refinement and optimisation for strictly defined conditions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Varan said:

I was looking at photos of the little kiwi (test boat) at sail-world.  That's a very pretty place ya'll are at. Nice.

Don't worry. I will not tell anyone. 

Tamaki Makaurau or "Tamaki desired by many" is the name of the home of the Cup and hopefully touch wood Covid19 free pretty damned soon.

IMG_0824.thumb.jpeg.849525edcb1d1b913b7a3f287837e686.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rh3000 said:

We are involved in leading clinical trial research - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12325518

coronavirus-ft-2020-04-18.png.be2448a19badcda20152b5aecc953793.png

Every dog there has a tail. There's no way NZL is running free for home yet.

3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Every dog there has a tail. There's no way NZL is running free for home yet.

Agreed - we have a long road to go... having said that, no-ones seen what happens at 0, also... needed to address the seppos scoffing...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rh3000 said:

This is some interesting news - https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2020/05/coronavirus-new-zealand-fails-to-join-global-covid-19-vaccine-fundraiser.html

Will be telling to hear what AshCinda have to say on this....

Might as well pledge some millions, while our local vaccine development work continues. The $$$ will make fuck all difference to our COVID-19, fiscal crater at this stage.

Question: Is there a limit on the number of foils allowed to be tested on te kahu?

1 hour ago, Lickindip said:

Question: Is there a limit on the number of foils allowed to be tested on te kahu?

No ^_^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Might as well pledge some millions, while our local vaccine development work continues. The $$$ will make fuck all difference to our COVID-19, fiscal crater at this stage.

Fair cop...

As a typical center-right voter, I'm generally more than happy to defer to the judgement of those two (but no deeper!) when it comes to these things.

33 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Fair cop...

As a typical center-right voter, I'm generally more than happy to defer to the judgement of those two (but no deeper!) when it comes to these things.

Ha, ha. Maybe Steven Leonard Joyce would have been a safer pair of financial management hands. At least HE knew what a fiscal hole looked like, eh? ;-)

17 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Maybe Steven Leonard Joyce would have been a safer pair of financial management hands.

i just threw up in my mouth

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Ha, ha. Maybe Steven Leonard Joyce would have been a safer pair of financial management hands. At least HE knew what a fiscal hole looked like, eh? ;-)

To be fair I think Joyce knew exactly the game he was playing then, and had previously been at the the strategic helm for at least a couple of solid wins... but recent inability to understand a basic fucking graph and more-so his doubling down rather than concede mere brinksmanship means he's on to the glue factory... you can take a side, but get exposed for bad faith and you are toast...

12 hours ago, rh3000 said:

It's times like these you want to be on the best friends list of the country that succeeds first...

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 8:10 AM, Rennmaus said:

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/news/glenn-ashby-feature-broad-reach-radio

Glenn Ashby to feature on Broad Reach Radio

Issue date
7 May 2020

Emirates Team New Zealand's Glenn Ashby is the main guest on tomorrow's fifth episode of Broad Reach Radio - the Yachting New Zealand podcast.

Ashby is this country's favourite Australian sailor after helping Emirates Team New Zealand win the last America's Cup in Bermuda and he delves into that campaign as well as how the current one is shaping up and what we can expect to see on the water. The podcast will be published on Friday afternoon and you can find it on Podbean, Spotify, Apple and all the major podcast apps or follow the Yachting New Zealand Facebook page.

We've so far had a range of some of New Zealand's top sailors on the show:

• Peter Burling and Blair Tuke
  • Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie
  • Phil Robertson
  • Bianca Cook

The podcast will feature a range of topics from interviews with top sailors of today and yesteryear to chats with people in the sailing and boating industries. It aims to be informative, entertaining, educational or just something for people to feel connected to the sport. 

You can find links to the first four episodes here and this will be updated each week.

Here's the broadcast:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

Here's the broadcast:

Thank you for anticipating and then posting this one, Rennie.

It’s a truly brilliant listen, Ashby is always an amazingly good interview but this may be the best I’ve heard. Hats off!

• Like 1

^^ "Yeah...look". Magic interview with, Gashby. Thanks for posting link, Rennie.

A top bloke. Casual and passionate. This is what role models are. 

So it looks like NZ is testing bulb foils.  Just as I predicted, they will be using bulbed foils in the AC.  

1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

So it looks like NZ is testing bulb foils.  Just as I predicted, they will be using bulbed foils in the AC.  

Or lulling the opposition into complacency? I pick no bulb for ETNZ but it is only a guess!
I like Magic's bulb looks tres interesting.

I thought you were most recently predicting a return to the blended wing? ;-)

NZ was testing conventional coffee grinders on their AC50 test boat too... turns out they were testing their real system in secret

TH of AM said that right now they are not allowed to have a spy boat out following the NZ boat because of the restrictions on recreational boating.   

10 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

TH of AM said that right now they are not allowed to have a spy boat out following the NZ boat because of the restrictions on recreational boating.   

Surely when it comes to matters of the AC spying is a essential activity not a recreational one.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

:unsure:

4 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Really?

Why didn't you predict you would loose the dinghy when you towed it a hundred miles?

6 hours ago, barfy said:

Really?

Why didn't you predict you would loose the dinghy when you towed it a hundred miles?

Wow, you are like some little, snot nosed kid that keeps obsessing over some story about dragons.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Thank you for anticipating and then posting this one, Rennie.

It’s a truly brilliant listen, Ashby is always an amazingly good interview but this may be the best I’ve heard. Hats off!

16 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

^^ "Yeah...look". Magic interview with, Gashby. Thanks for posting link, Rennie.

14 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

A top bloke. Casual and passionate. This is what role models are. 

Listened to it now. It was really good, indeed. Although Gashby sounds a bit wriggly like a politician when it comes to the question whether the AC75 class is what was anticipated, required, a good compromise between traditional and modern... ;)

5 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Wow, you are like some little, snot nosed kid that keeps obsessing over some story about dragons.

Nothing wrong with that!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Listened to it now. It was really good, indeed. Although Gashby sounds a bit wriggly like a politician when it comes to the question whether the AC75 class is what was anticipated, required, a good compromise between traditional and modern... ;)

I thought he was pretty emphatic the AC75 is great - his answer to whether b2 is going to be very different was wonderfully evasive though :-)

13 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

I thought he was pretty emphatic the AC75 is great - his answer to whether b2 is going to be very different was wonderfully evasive though :-)

How different perceptions can be :o:)

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

I thought he was pretty emphatic the AC75 is great

What on earth else would you expect him to say other than to wax lyrical about Te Aihe.

”The things a fucking overly complicated mega expensive flying  turd “

Yeah right.

2 hours ago, nroose said:
7 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Nothing wrong with that!

Hc Svnt Dracones!

9 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

What on earth else would you expect him to say other than to wax lyrical about Te Aihe.

Yeah right.

I did not write what you quoted. In fact I wrote that I think he was not too enthusiastic. 

You attributed the wrong quote to me. 

2 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

I did not write what you quoted. In fact I wrote that I think he was not too enthusiastic. 

You attributed the wrong quote to me. 

Most humble apologies.

1 hour ago, rh3000 said:

I thought he was pretty emphatic the AC75 is great 

What on earth else would you expect him to say other than to wax lyrical about Te Aihe.

Yeah right.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

I found interesting that he estimated the power gain of the cyclors up around 50%. I think there was a mention of 20% previously, and use of hands of course.

21 minutes ago, barfy said:

I found interesting that he estimated the power gain of the cyclors up around 50%. I think there was a mention of 20% previously, and use of hands of course.

Was cool too, how he recognized how f’ing dumb it looked until they won. 

22 minutes ago, barfy said:

Considering the AC75 mainsheet loads are 50% greater than the IACC boats maybe they should have stuck with the cyclors.