Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, hoom said:

Ugh too soon :(

Even after all these years the cracker start and the first 10 minutes off the line are all I can watch ...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burling, Tuke, Maloney, Junior and a bunch of top sailors all competing in the Teams Racing national Champs in Kerikeri this weekend. Gorgeous day yesterday, ugly as today with 35 gusting 40 forecast for later in the afternoon.

 

49952568958_3adbda6aa9_k.jpg

49952583428_dddb58cd73_k.jpg

49953125726_51a58f6a5d_k.jpg

49953599277_cfaa39c640_k.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Maybe a black bucket would have been more effective.

41A5DB8D-34EF-4FF3-8F1C-7FF51CEDD32F.jpeg.882b03b239f0ae9a1910bcc052cb9960.jpeg

Forgot how narrow that bitch of a thing was. But I didn't forget that blue bucket!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Forgot how narrow that bitch of a thing was. But I didn't forget that blue bucket!

Check out the observers/passengers at the back - poor dude in the red drysuit appears to be holding on for dear life!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rh3000 said:

Check out the observers/passengers at the back - poor dude in the red drysuit appears to be holding on for dear life!

There’s a trivia question, who sailed as the 18th man race 1 2003 on NZL 82.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Priscilla said:

There’s a trivia question, who sailed as the 18th man race 1 2003 on NZL 82.

Bertelli?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Burling, Tuke, Maloney, Junior and a bunch of top sailors all competing in the Teams Racing national Champs in Kerikeri this weekend. Gorgeous day yesterday, ugly as today with 35 gusting 40 forecast for later in the afternoon.

These guys are awesome.

Did they sail together or different teams?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

These guys are awesome.

Did they sail together or different teams?

Different Teams. More info on the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/270308183901264

Good to see Brad Farrand in the mix. Good mate of Blairs, a quiet Kerikeri legend and VOR (now OR) veteran.

Teams:

Inlet: Blair Tuke, Jesse Tuke, Andy Maloney, Noah Malpot, Brad Farrand, Rhys Nichols

Bow Down: Chris Geerkens, Alice Calnan, Ollie Gilmour, Cody Coughland, Hamish Elliott, Grace Calnan

Thievery: Josh Edmonds, Kaitlyn Turner, Thomas Elmore, Logan Williams, Jamie Catchpole, Celia Balemi

Boobs to the Back: Patrick Harris, Alice Taylor, Nikolas Black, Phoebe Andrew, Sam Brierly, Carter Stringer

Insert Name: Liam Holroyd, Haydn Smith, Ben Alabaster, Robbie Hopkins, Matthew Smith, Kieran Ruffel

NZLST1: Peter Burling, Erica Dawson, Paul Snow-Hansen, Molly Meech, Alex Maloney, Jake Stanley-Harris

NZLST2: Sam Meech, Dan Willcox, Josh Junior, Nelsen Meecham, Micah Wilkinson, Jack Honey

Reach Arounds: Shae Donahoe, Andi Hawtin, Petrina Sheldon, Henry Upton, Stephanie Hazard, Charlotte Moss

Kiwi Caterpillars: Graeme Sutherland, Lucinda Nacif, Stuart Goodes, Davina Goodes, Logan Sutherland, Jordelle Simpkin

TBC: Seb Menzies, Blake McGlashan, Tom Mulcahy, Cam McGlashan, Mason Mulcahy, Andre Van Dam

Murrays Bay: Tim Sneddon, Joe Leith, Zak Merton, Jasper Camenzind, Connor Corgard, Lucas Day

Socially Buoyant: Nathan Laurie, Alex Jones, Angus Adamson, Deven Warden, Erik Thomas, Kelly Main

RNZYS: Jordan Stevenson, George Angus, Jack Bunce, Zoe Dawson, Alastair Gifford, Ed Caisley

Kiwis Team Racing: Frankie Dair, Maeve White, Dylan Whichman, Emilie Jones, Reuben Corbett, Sean Herbert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 4:14 PM, bangbang said:

Crikey I do hope they manage the AC crew quarantine procedures a bit more robustly than this sloppy effort.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/wellington/121686690/guests-stunned-to-find-they-are-staying-alongside-avatar-crew-direct-from-covid19-hot-zone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RORC Time Over Distance Interview Series - Brad Butterworth

Brad Butterworth lifted the lid on fascinating stories from the America's Cup, Steinlager II and a special feature on Rambler 88 in the ninth edition of the RORC Time Over Distance Lockdown series of interviews.

He has competed in seven editions of the America's Cup in the afterguard, winning the America's Cup four times in succession. Butterworth's winning streak of 16 consecutive races is unequalled. He was watch captain for Peter Blake's Steinlager II, winning all six legs of the 1989 Whitbread Round the World Race. In recent year's Butterworth has been tactician on George David's Maxi Rambler 88, taking line honours in the Rolex Fastnet Race, Rolex Middle Sea Race, and both line honours and the race record for the RORC Caribbean 600.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/229194/RORC-Time-Over-Distance--Brad-Butterworth

Excellent interview with Brad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey I do hope they manage the AC crew quarantine procedures a bit more robustly than this sloppy effort.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/wellington/121686690/guests-stunned-to-find-they-are-staying-alongside-avatar-crew-direct-from-covid19-hot-zone

hmm I take the local "news" here with lots of salt!     they have not worked out that a few anecdotes does not a complete story make.

i would be very very surprised if the whole group has not been isolated and tested and confirmed covid free before boarding...... and then still have 14 days here for good measure.     But you never know (and certainly dont from the story linked)   ... i might be surprised!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

RORC Time Over Distance Interview Series - Brad Butterworth

Brad Butterworth lifted the lid on fascinating stories from the America's Cup, Steinlager II and a special feature on Rambler 88 in the ninth edition of the RORC Time Over Distance Lockdown series of interviews.

He has competed in seven editions of the America's Cup in the afterguard, winning the America's Cup four times in succession. Butterworth's winning streak of 16 consecutive races is unequalled. He was watch captain for Peter Blake's Steinlager II, winning all six legs of the 1989 Whitbread Round the World Race. In recent year's Butterworth has been tactician on George David's Maxi Rambler 88, taking line honours in the Rolex Fastnet Race, Rolex Middle Sea Race, and both line honours and the race record for the RORC Caribbean 600.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/229194/RORC-Time-Over-Distance--Brad-Butterworth

 

Still wears the same cologne as Wussell Thirty Pieces of Silver.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, breezie said:

hmm I take the local "news" here with lots of salt!     they have not worked out that a few anecdotes does not a complete story make.

i would be very very surprised if the whole group has not been isolated and tested and confirmed covid free before boarding...... and then still have 14 days here for good measure.     But you never know (and certainly dont from the story linked)   ... i might be surprised!

Maybe the border criteria should be self isolate at port of origin and then at destination.

Yup it may be commercially inconvenient but I don’t give a fuck with lost employees and unemployed whanau why take further risks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey I do hope they manage the AC crew quarantine procedures a bit more robustly than this sloppy effort. 

Putting ppl in a hotel in the middle of town without telling anyone around is NOT the kind of quarantine I've been expecting.

Putting them in a physically separated building at the airport or very close to it but away from everyone SO THAT WE DON'T GET FUCKING NEW CASES is what I expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Commerce placing communities at risk is a usual capitalist behaviour but considering  the real fact AC36 is never going to recoup the public investment spent to date what robust Covid19 risk prevention assessment priorities are being developed by all parties that have a vested interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

RORC Time Over Distance Interview Series - Brad Butterworth

Brad Butterworth lifted the lid on fascinating stories from the America's Cup, Steinlager II and a special feature on Rambler 88 in the ninth edition of the RORC Time Over Distance Lockdown series of interviews.

He has competed in seven editions of the America's Cup in the afterguard, winning the America's Cup four times in succession. Butterworth's winning streak of 16 consecutive races is unequalled. He was watch captain for Peter Blake's Steinlager II, winning all six legs of the 1989 Whitbread Round the World Race. In recent year's Butterworth has been tactician on George David's Maxi Rambler 88, taking line honours in the Rolex Fastnet Race, Rolex Middle Sea Race, and both line honours and the race record for the RORC Caribbean 600.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/229194/RORC-Time-Over-Distance--Brad-Butterworth

Excellent interview with Brad.

I had no idea Larry Ellison was in the running to land Coutts and friends against EB and a major factor in Coutts and friends going with EB was Ellison wanted Chris Dickson to drive the boat over Coutts.  Talk about a poor decision.  Also, Butterworth gives a lot of credit to Ed Baird for the 2007 Cup win but also a lot of credit for the '95 TNZ win as well as helmsman of the backup boat.  Interesting interview. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ellison Sailed Sayonara in the 1998 S2H and credits their survival to Chris Dicksons leadership.

Dickson had a "Job for Life" until Jimmy schooled him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chapter Four said:

Ellison Sailed Sayonara in the 1998 S2H and credits their survival to Chris Dicksons leadership.

Dickson had a "Job for Life" until Jimmy schooled him.

I knew about that but Coutts or Dickson to win a Cup after 2000?  Should be an easy choice. 
 

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B1 shipped in, sans mast, in the pics I saw. The container ship might have lost it overboard?! ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

B1 shipped in, sans mast, in the pics I saw. The container ship might have lost it overboard?! ;-)

Mast transported separately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NZL3481 said:

There's not a lot of hurry to get Te Aihe sailing again it would seem...

its blowing a friggin gale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NZL3481 said:

There's not a lot of hurry to get Te Aihe sailing again it would seem...

Yeah ETNZ mentioned they've got the boat, but none of the parts (yet)... odd that a container would take longer though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One would think they have plenty of room for B1 & mule in that building, they could surely take it inside & unwrap/otherwise prepare, maybe make some mods.

Or are they busy with other stuff in there? :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, hoom said:

Or are they busy with other stuff in there? :ph34r:

pssst they filming avatar location stuff in there

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hoom said:

One would think they have plenty of room for B1 & mule in that building, they could surely take it inside & unwrap/otherwise prepare, maybe make some mods.

Or are they busy with other stuff in there? :ph34r:

Maybe the containers and mast have arrived, and that kit is being unpacked and prepared first? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just heard they reared up and tipped over off Waiheke today.

Got back up and continued sailing.

 

Be awesome if someone got footage. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2020 at 11:35 AM, NZL3481 said:

Mast transported separately.

If you watch the arrival video - the mast was on those boxes at time of craning off the ship - so it didn't ship separately and got as far as the arrival port - but where it is now is the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2020 at 7:18 PM, hoom said:

One would think they have plenty of room for B1 & mule in that building, they could surely take it inside & unwrap/otherwise prepare, maybe make some mods.

Or are they busy with other stuff in there? :ph34r:

one would think they have enough room for B1 and B2 inside considering they are the only team allowed to test the 2 boats at once. going to assume while B2 is off site being build they have plenty of room for Te Kahu to sit beside B1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they have learned something new about mast/rig/sail in the meantime, and want to make upgrades before re-assembling B1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can everyone stop stressing where the mast is ... it came in on top of the boat as it left and was put on a different truck for road transport in NZ

image.png.a44309bbb10d652178489f70bb593669.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like an AC72 hull to me ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Te Kāhu has been just off North Head for a while. Anyone see what they're up to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, not able to get out today.

It will be lively, whatever they are doing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Hope you've got your super-telephoto on them!

Didn't see much interesting going on today. End of training and heading back to base:

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tip of the foil is breaking the surface quite often, but no real issue...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good forecast SW for the next few days. Should be lots of time on the water!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dbeauvar said:

Tip of the foil is breaking the surface quite often, but no real issue...

It is an issue. The drag goes up quite quickly as the foil approaches the surface. The advantage of very good control is large.

This technology will be very cool, safe, cheap, and therefore popular when fully automated.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, carcrash said:

It is an issue. The drag goes up quite quickly as the foil approaches the surface. The advantage of very good control is large.

This technology will be very cool, safe, cheap, and therefore popular when fully automated.
 

 

What i meant, is that the boat is not crashing as soon as the foil breaches the surface, there is no cavitation that propagates the full length and kills lift.

Flying/sailing seems safe at that time during the tack. It may not be the fastest mode of sailing when the tip breaches the surface but at least it's not crash mode.

 

Blue sky

D.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dbeauvar said:

Tip of the foil is breaking the surface quite often, but no real issue...

First thing I noticed as well. We have not seen footage like that of any of the boats yet. Very interesting

Edit: end for the shot Mike!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, barfy said:

First thing I noticed as well. We have not seen footage like that of any of the boats yet. Very interesting

Edit: end for the shot Mike!!!

Yet when you look at the IMOCA boats they have more than just the tip out of the water constantly.  That not just one boat, that's all of the new boats with the Dali foils. Go figure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Yet when you look at the IMOCA boats they have more than just the tip out of the water constantly.  That not just one boat, that's all of the new boats with the Dali foils. Go figure

Not a ballasted foil on the Imoca for starters.

It's for lift and without the canting keel they simply would be fucked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, trt131 said:

Yet when you look at the IMOCA boats they have more than just the tip out of the water constantly.  That not just one boat, that's all of the new boats with the Dali foils. Go figure

#Uptip

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, trt131 said:

Yet when you look at the IMOCA boats they have more than just the tip out of the water constantly.  That not just one boat, that's all of the new boats with the Dali foils. Go figure

 

2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

#Uptip

Ya,I think that's the point ..with no active lift control they are depending on the surface piercing to back off lift ala early AC 34. I'm not sure that lee coupling would work with the keel??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2020 at 9:48 PM, mikenz2 said:

Didn't see much interesting going on today. End of training and heading back to base:

 

traveling about 30 knots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2020 at 6:10 AM, carcrash said:

It is an issue. The drag goes up quite quickly as the foil approaches the surface. The advantage of very good control is large.

But the higher it flies the less arm is in the water, reducing its drag so it's not a simple equation. Also, the outer wing isn't parallel to the surface, the tip is turned up so likely not as much drag as if it was shallow and parallel to the surface.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

I like him since I had the dubious pleasure to be the guest sailor on Aleph RC44 in 2016:
http://www.sailinganarchy.de/allgemein/unkomfortabel-beaengstigend-aber-grossartig

Thanks for the podcast, it's entertaining (haven't finished yet, tho).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're taking Te Kāhu out in the rain, off North Head somewhere. I can't see them, from the city, through the rain at the moment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

They're taking Te Kāhu out in the rain, off North Head somewhere. I can't see them, from the city, through the rain at the moment.

After a couple of short runs in the harbour, while waiting for a third chase boat to join, they've headed out the Rangitoto Channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RobG said:

But the higher it flies the less arm is in the water, reducing its drag so it's not a simple equation. Also, the outer wing isn't parallel to the surface, the tip is turned up so likely not as much drag as if it was shallow and parallel to the surface.

And it's showing that they are using a mode that maximizes upwind lift. I've heard their angles have greatly improved recently from kite board scuttle butt..those guys are lining up on occasion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The team are just heading back to base. A bit of excitement at 26 seconds:
 

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, weta27 said:

Can someone move those f***ing cranes! :unsure:

Haha! Move the port you say?

I think team nz know where I live. They stopped perfectly behind a crane twice today - couldn't see hull nor mast.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Can someone move those f***ing cranes! :unsure:

Yeah Winston issued a cast iron guarantee that your wish would come true before 2027 and the cars would be gone by 2019.

Unfortunately Ports of Auckland in the interim built a carpark and installed 3 new cranes.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11914175

KDBXRXLQFNC3TLBFJNRYI6EXC4.thumb.jpg.5c06a845c15216246d6e86589fc67912.jpg

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.7c6d803c2424f0453c0f950e05c49006.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 9:05 AM, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Burling, Tuke, Maloney, Junior and a bunch of top sailors all competing in the Teams Racing national Champs in Kerikeri this weekend. Gorgeous day yesterday, ugly as today with 35 gusting 40 forecast for later in the afternoon.

49953599277_cfaa39c640_k.jpg

Absolutely fantastic haircut Blair. 10/10

My money is now 100% on the Kiwi's to win the cup.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

Absolutely fantastic haircut Blair. 10/10

Long live the Mudflap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, an old shot to remind me how good she looks in full flight.

Will we see her back out on the Gulf in the next week or two?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, weta27 said:

No, an old shot to remind me how good she looks in full flight.

Will we see her back out on the Gulf in the next week or two?

She's getting quite a birthday. Now she'll be b1.75.

Or she's being gutted for b2.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, barfy said:

She's getting quite a birthday. Now she'll be b1.75.

Or she's being gutted for b2.

It'll be something to warm the heart this winter. Come spring, we should have at least three of these things buzzing around the sparkling water.

Something to focus on other than Covid 19, the destruction of America and Trump.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Listened to the second half now too, recommend it.

Self posting Muppet Troll

Edit. My fault for lasting until the last thread before I un iggyd a post. Fuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting interview on butterballs. As an Aussie, I still think what Russ and the sheep did was one of the more cunty things you could do and he said it set a lot of them up and I think Russ has continued to show his cuntness with the septics which made the kiwi win even better. I forgot how close that final race in Valencia was and remember watching it with my late father in law.

Butterballs has certainly been kissed on the dick to get the opportunities he has had though i guess you don't get those chances unless your good.

We were quite looking forward to coming over to see the AC75's but will likely re-set and aim for the next one in NZ in 4 years ;-)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^

Wasn't Dawn in mid fellatio on BB when he crashed his Merc(?) in Newport? I forget the year......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boink said:

^^^^

Wasn't Dawn in mid fellatio on BB when he crashed his Merc(?) in Newport? I forget the year......

I'm sure he could be forgiven. That would be very distracting, no? ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been re-watching some of the AC35 racing on YouTube which is pretty entertaining. Not so much the final but the earlier rounds.

Does anyone know if they have the press conferences online somewhere? There was some classic stuff from Burling post race that I'd love to see again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 8:18 PM, barfy said:

Self posting Muppet Troll

Edit. My fault for lasting until the last thread before I un iggyd a post. Fuck

What? You've said you've put him on ignore at least 15 times. If you ignored people as much as you claim to you would have a blank fucking screen. It's just pixels asshole. You're kiwi, but even so you should have skin thick enough for fucking pixels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

What? You've said you've put him on ignore at least 15 times. If you ignored people as much as you claim to you would have a blank fucking screen. It's just pixels asshole. You're kiwi, but even so you should have skin thick enough for fucking pixels. 

Fuck you’re like a little chihuahua dog just hanging around getting under everyone’s feet waiting for people to drop little crumbs so you can snap them up. You turn up randomly making your little pointless irrelevant troll comments and replying to them when absolutely fucking no one is even talking to you. Quit yapping and Get outside ya mongrel! Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To bring things back to sailing.... Here's 10mins of Emirates Team New Zealand throwing around Te Kāhu, yesterday out by Motukorea/Browns Island.

A spy boat was back out again yesterday. It's back to working in the office on Monday so will likely only be videos from me if they're out over the weekends.

 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mitre cut said:

Thats one excellent zoom-in there Mike, from big new building downtown ?

Just in front :-) They're across the road behind me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mitre cut said:

Keep up the good work!. How far up harbour can u pan the cam?

 

 

This is my range: 
latest.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez they’ve got that thing dialed In!
 

865D8AF7-8D9F-4B21-92B2-E4698E908894.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez that pic will get you stoned in the street in the current climate. We just need another one to race against.