Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

8 minutes ago, thetruth said:

All seems very odd when the scam allegedly happened late last year and is only coming to light now......

Why?

How many other companies have you seen announcing that they’ve been scammed?

3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

^^ I am amazed at the number of idiots who claim not to read you while secretly doing it.

Ya know, I used to, but the Iggy feature makes SA much nicer without his BS. But here you go... quoting him so his comments show up in the thread. The 2 trolls trying to keep each other relevant lol get a room ya muppets.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Ya know, I used to, but the Iggy feature makes SA much nicer without his BS. But here you go... quoting him so his comments show up in the thread. The 2 trolls trying to keep each other relevant lol get a room ya muppets.

Really embarrassed about the whole AM bustle thing, eh? Like I said, I'm right most of the time.

11 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Really embarrassed about the whole AM bustle thing, eh? Like I said, I'm right most of the time.

Do you think we will see a bustle on b2?

4 hours ago, weta27 said:

A few days old but anything's better than endless speculation and mindless name-calling ...

DSC_0634 (2).jpg

DSC_0651.jpg

Nice Chinese underarm there.

Couple of comments on Wetas' recent pics:

DSC_0642.jpg

Pocket of stretchy stuff around the boom articulation point, presumably was doing nasty things to the leeward skin.

In the above & this one crew are very well tucked away.DSC_0660.jpg

Plus the legend Starlight Express!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weta27 said:

A few days old but anything's better than endless speculation and mindless name-calling ...

DSC_0634 (2).jpg

DSC_0651.jpg

Interesting , the lower shot of the foil and flap pouring water from the hinge point, it had seemed to be seamless in other shots.

8 minutes ago, barfy said:

Interesting , the lower shot of the foil and flap pouring water from the hinge point, it had seemed to be seamless in other shots.

This could be the injection points to enable supercavitation bleeding out.

Screenshot_20200705-201217_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

^^Nice zoom,tanks @Salty Seacock. Only flowing from the bottom bits, seems like the void is connected the length of the hinge.

Edit, had to jump the noise post

2 hours ago, Filthy Phill said:

Don’t get pulled down the rabbit hole.

No one seems to be asking where the Boards of Team NZ and ACE are in all of this.  Why would C&M whistle blow to MBIE and not the board of ACE?  Did they discuss with ACEBoard members and not get the answer they wanted?  The directors are potentially liable depending on what went on and who was involved (if anyone was).  Greg Horton is a seriously smart lawyer and I don't think he would accept any personal or reputational liability if there was something happening and he was aware of it.  I can only assume the boards of each organisation are taking independent legal advice, but they are also letting the joint CEO (and board member of Team NZ), GD run the media campaign. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dutyfreenz said:

No one seems to be asking where the Boards of Team NZ and ACE are in all of this.  Why would C&M whistle blow to MBIE and not the board of ACE?  Did they discuss with ACEBoard members and not get the answer they wanted?  The directors are potentially liable depending on what went on and who was involved (if anyone was).  Greg Horton is a seriously smart lawyer and I don't think he would accept any personal or reputational liability if there was something happening and he was aware of it.  I can only assume the boards of each organisation are taking independent legal advice, but they are also letting the joint CEO (and board member of Team NZ), GD run the media campaign. 

Confidence.

9 hours ago, Filthy Phill said:

Four definitely will - whether it's there or not.

• Like 1

“The 2000 victory and the 2003 loss were among the biggest and most successful Cup events in the past decade, eclipsing the lean San Francisco event in 2013 and the dour 2017 regatta, resented by a large portion of Bermuda’s less well off residents” 

9 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

“The 2000 victory and the 2003 loss were among the biggest and most successful Cup events in the past decade, eclipsing the lean San Francisco event in 2013 and the dour 2017 regatta, resented by a large portion of Bermuda’s less well off residents” 

Since been edited to say "past two decades".

On 7/4/2020 at 11:35 PM, Rennmaus said:

Well, I'm going to play a Stingray squared version now, so please take this as pure fantasy:
What if any other organization paid M&C more money than ACE/ETNZ/RNZYS to weaken ETNZ/Dalts/ACE for either revenge or advantage or whatever...
No, please don't discuss :D.

I can add to that: the "any other organisation" is none other than Larry Ellison whose prolapse from AC35 still hasn't retracted or healed sufficiently for him to sit without the aid of a doughnut cushion. He threw his toys out of the cot and refused to play, so he's paid the saboteurs Mayo&Calder... 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hawke said:

I can't see how condensing the dates is in anyone's interest let alone tactically for any team... 

My theory on this is Mayo&Calder in their bid to manage AC36 may have included some financial modeling and projections extrapolated from their Volvo experience which compressed the stop-overs to a few days. Their remuneration package would have been based on those projections. These event management and promotions contractors tend to be very big on hyperbole... 

Fast forward to the confirmed number of Challengers, Challenger events cancelations due to COVID-19.. and suddenly M&C realise that most of their income projections for ACE are no longer achievable... so much so that it impacted their own income...hence the unexplainable expenditure under investigation. 

Their solution is to try to compress the events - Dalts and ETNZ said No thanks, so M&C go behind ETNZ to MBIE pushing the "saving-taxpayer-money" angle to garner support for their compressed-event proposal. 

Confronted over their treachery, they lawyer up to claim whistle-blower protection. 

Except the NZ Protected Disclosures Act 2000 specifically provides whistle-blower protection for employees of an organization - not private contractors. Something these 2 con merchants will find out very soon. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Did M&C report to MBIE before or after GD fired them? 

Well before they were fired. They had been leaking confidential information to the MBIE auditors BV for several months. When confronted, lawyered up and were fired. 

24 minutes ago, Indio said:

My theory on this is Mayo&Calder in their bid to manage AC36 may have included some financial modeling and projections extrapolated from their Volvo experience which compressed the stop-overs to a few days. Their remuneration package would have been based on those projections. These event management and promotions contractors tend to be very big on hyperbole... 

Fast forward to the confirmed number of Challengers, Challenger events cancelations due to COVID-19.. and suddenly M&C realise that most of their income projections for ACE are no longer achievable... so much so that it impacted their own income...hence the unexplainable expenditure under investigation. 

Their solution is to try to compress the events - Dalts and ETNZ said No thanks, so M&C go behind ETNZ to MBIE pushing the "saving-taxpayer-money" angle to garner support for their compressed-event proposal. 

Confronted over their treachery, they lawyer up to claim whistle-blower protection. 

Except the NZ Protected Disclosures Act 2000 specifically provides whistle-blower protection for employees of an organization - not private contractors. Something these 2 con merchants will find out very soon. 

Most plausible theory I've heard yet, Indio. Nice work.

17 hours ago, weta27 said:

DSC_0634 (2).jpg

DSC_0651.jpg

Thanks @weta27 There is hope and you do a great thing.

It is easy to race down the posts looking for pictures, which I am ashamed to say that is what I do now.

56 minutes ago, Indio said:

.. and suddenly M&C realise that most of their income projections for ACE are no longer achievable... so much so that it impacted their own income...hence the unexplainable expenditure under investigation.

I think most of your theory makes sense (because a lot of it is based on facts we know) - but I'm not sure I follow your "hence/treachery" leap above. How does an impact to M&C's income tie into the "unexplainable expenditure under investigation". Are you saying they were trying to skim?

And if that's what at the bottom of this, why has MBIE give them cover thus far? What was the "spying" all about?

Seems a stretch based on what we know thus far. There's definitely more to it.

18 hours ago, weta27 said:

DSC_0634 (2).jpg

DSC_0651.jpg

Any ideas about why water is spraying from the wing/flap gap so long after it’s been up in the air? 

Emptying the secret water ballast tanks :P

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

I know you’re joking but maybe there is a water cavity, designed to help with cavitation-speed hydrodynamics? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Guvacine said:

Occam's razor. What none of the knee-jerk defensive Kiwi's on this thread can acknowledge, is that the whistleblowers may have just been doing the Right Thing. As the contractors would have had fiduciary obligations to the funding authority as well as ETNZ, they may have had to make a decision as to whether to go along with malpractice once discovered, or to report it.

Unfortunately, the loyal fanboys can’t process the idea that their golden boy screwed up. I won’t hold my breath waiting for Barfy or SClarke to even admit the chance that someone made a mistake. They’re happier hanging on to the Herbie delusion. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

:) beat me to it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, barfy said:

Only one surface can have no gap, usually the top. Unless they've discovered some new material that stretches and compresses without deforming (and it's within the rule).

18 hours ago, weta27 said:

There you go again, expecting this chat room to behave like a discussion forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indio said:

Well before they were fired. They had been leaking confidential information to the MBIE auditors BV for several months. When confronted, lawyered up and were fired. 

Assuming the auditors have a legal right to do the audit, it is difficult to leak info to them. They have the right to see all such detail. The standard practice is to try and hide things from them in such a way they are unlikely to find it and you can pretend it was purely an oversight problem it wasn't supplied.

I was under the impression that the leak was what triggered the audit. Makes much more sense, but then again I have been wrong before.

21 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Unfortunately, the loyal fanboys can’t process the idea that their golden boy screwed up. I won’t hold my breath waiting for Barfy or SClarke to even admit the chance that someone made a mistake. They’re happier hanging on to the Herbie delusion. 

The whole "Herbie" thing is why I find this statement from Niall in the "should not be forgotten..." article linked by Sting above to be so ironic...

Team New Zealand’s technology-driven Cup victory in Bermuda in 2017 ...

Talk about a desperate PR scramble.

2 minutes ago, RobG said:

Only one surface can have no gap, usually the top. Unless they've discovered some new material that stretches and compresses without deforming (and it's within the rule).

The secret unobtainium is discovered, yet again. Maybe that's what they needed the 3 mill to pay for.

3 minutes ago, RobG said:

There you go again, expecting this chat room to behave like a discussion forum.

Weta is great at the photo stuff, but a slow learner on how this place behaves when not much sailing is going on. :D

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

The whole "Herbie" thing is why I find this statement from Niall in the "should not be forgotten..." article linked by Sting above to be so ironic...

Talk about a desperate PR scramble.

Bahaha, now you're really stretching, trying to link an OpEd from a journo with your impressions of reckons from other forum members.

Maybe try to be constructive instead of a prat?

Main is up, looks like another light winds training day - in the rain.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Main is up, looks like another light winds training day - in the rain.

Towing out the harbour with just the main up today, no head sail yet. Heading past Bean Rock, Waiheke direction to hide from @weta27 and I in the fog.

P1110376.JPG

• Like 4

There will be no hiding from Weta27 and mikenz2, PLEASE. And this includes you, Hughie.

There is only so much idle speculation, innuendo and personal abuse a body can bear.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

There will be no hiding from Weta27 and mikenz2, PLEASE. And this includes you, Hughie.

There is only so much idle speculation, innuendo and personal abuse a body can bear.

If it makes life any better, here's the tow out video mostly obscured by cranes

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Any ideas about why water is spraying from the wing/flap gap so long after it’s been up in the air? 

How long has it been up?

The foils still look wet, so I suspect not very long. 

Decision can't be too far away........................

NO 7 COURT BEFORE THE HON. JUSTICE MOORE Ground Floor 10.00am CIV2015-404-2256 JIA JUN QU & ORS v J & H DEVELOPMENT LIMITED (In Liquidation) & ORS (G Blanchard QC, C Jiang) (G Neil, H Mckee) 1 st Call - Application for Joinder CIV2020-404-354 WARWICK CLIFFORD SIMMONS v SEVEN OAK SECURITIES LTD (A Gilchrist) (C O’Donnell) Review of Settlement – 2 nd call CIV2020-404-593 PAIHIA PROPERTY HOLDINGS v BODY CORPORATE 190356 & ANOR CORPORATE TRUSTEE LIMITED (L Van, R Idoine) (J Wickes) For Mention – Application seeking Orders CIV2020-404-096 GILLIAN C M TAYLOR v STEWART M TAYLOR & DUNCAN J MILLER & KAY J TAYLOR (L Kearns) (.) Application for Appointment of interim Trustees CIV2018-404-2074 CONCRETE STRUCTURES v NMHB LIMITED (NZ) LIMITED (R Hucker & M Swan) (P Dalkie) (S Bhanabhai) Application for Interim Stay CIV2019-404-1348 SARGON CAPITAL PTY LIMITED v COMPLECTUS LIMITED (C Finlayson QC) (J Dixon QC) Adjournment of Upcoming Fixture CIV2020-404-1033 AMERICA’S CUP EVENT LIMITED v NZME PUBLISHING LIMITED & ANOR (D Salmon) (M Heard) For Review - Interim Orders

• Like 1

Just had a flyby under tow and heading towards passage rock south of Waiheke

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hawke said:

That is a more of a procedural hearing than a substantive one.

Procedural is all they need at this point...............

1 hour ago, Woolfy said:

Just had a flyby under tow and heading towards passage rock south of Waiheke

Making there way back, heading north between Browns and Motuihe

10 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Making there way back, heading north between Browns and Motuihe

They've just headed past North Head and up the bays

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

They've just headed past North Head and up the bays

And they're done, towing back at speed with no sails up.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

And they're done, towing back at speed with no sails up.

Appreciate the look out, Mike. Thanks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gissie said:

Weta is great at the photo stuff, but a slow learner on how this place behaves when not much sailing is going on. :D

Seven years, and still "learning" ... :wacko:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Seven years, and still "learning" ... :wacko:

Still trying to think the best of people? Nice to see it still exists. 

Decision reserved................

He said it was an interim report which wasn't intended for disclosure outside of the parties. He indicated a final report would likely be made public.

After hearing the nearly three-hour debate, Justice Simon Moore reserved his decision, which will be delivered in writing at a later date.

The interim injunction orders remained until his judgment.

MBIE has earlier confirmed it suspended public funding for the 36th America's Cup - due to be held in Auckland next year.

It said $40 million has been set aside for the event fee and, to date, $29m has been paid to ACE in line with contractual funding milestones.

If public loot was not funding this fiasco it would not be an issue.

The public expect these shenanigans from the Hunt For The Poisoned Chalice but not having to pay for the comedy.

Expectations that when accountability becomes firmly hinged to credibility usually the truth becomes the victim.

Storm in a tea cup yeah right too many randomly colliding events to ever be disconnected now.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12345740

Sounds like NZME would rather release the draft report as opposed to the final report, because the draft contains the salacious stuff which they know, in the eyes of the public, would be far more damaging than the outcome, whether ACE/ ETNZ are exonerated or not, which is exactly what Dalton is talking about in regards to the “Kangaroo court” The herald and NZME have no interest in the final report, or the outcome of the investigation, because they know it’ll be a long winded bureaucratically worded document that the public will find boring. With the media, the allegations are far more important than the outcome whether they’re true or not. if you’re accused of it, you’re guilty until proven innocent, and even then, the damage is already done.

45 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

"NZME does not want to jeopardize New Zealand's defence of the America's Cup but it does want accountability of the use of public funds", NZME lawyer. 

Since when did a private media company become the guardian and overseer of how public funds are spent?? They're just scurrilous sensationalist click-bait merchants desperate for advertising $$$. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Why would ACE the publicly funded entity charged with running the event be paying TNZ $3 mil for designing the AC75.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/122044213/americas-cup-allegations-reserved-decision-in-team-secrets-case

Surely they would need to be compensated for producing a design package available to all teams, that is completely separate to their own, as well as the complete redesign of the foil arms which was originally supposed to be supplied by LR? Remember right back at the beginning, we had Malta and S+S who were purchasing design packages from ETNZ. At some point, the “Package design” had to end and the race boat design would had to have started. As we all know, even time is money in the AC game.

M&C have no contract to run the event  period! They fucked up badly procedurally in their belated attempt to invoke whistle-blower protection AFTER they were fired. You have no whistle-blower protection when you fail to follow the strict procedure for filing a protected disclosure, and by disclosing to the media who are not an "appropriate authority" under the PD Act. 

They only invoked whistle-blower protection after they were fired for treachery. Sorry, doesn't work after you've been terminated for cause. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Surely they would need to be compensated for producing a design package available to all teams, that is completely separate to their own, as well as the complete redesign of the foil arms which was originally supposed to be supplied by LR? Remember right back at the beginning, we had Malta and S+S who were purchasing design packages from ETNZ. At some point, the “Package design” had to end and the race boat design would had to have started. As we all know, even time is money in the AC game.

Where is there any evidence that points to the hosting agreement paid for by the public containing any intellectual property design fee.

TNZ would have received a direct cash donation from the public purse  separate from ACE as they have in the past and the inter company  payment as Hawke points to was simply a double dip.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Not sure about this. The package was for sale by TNZ, so ACE should not be paying anything. As for the foil arms, it was meant to be LR, but they fucked up. So who should pay for the new work? It should have been worked out and funded by the teams. TNZ & LR in particular. Not expensed to the group running the event. Unless this was in the original deal, in which case LR was paid for shit the didn't do and should have refunded the payment.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hawke said:

with larger sums of money that is happening at the moment.  NZ Herald get digging on the Provincial Growth Fund.

Stay OT ya Muppet.  The gear is making your synapses cross reference to your normal drum beat on the topic im going to give up on. 

29 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Not sure about this. The package was for sale by TNZ, so ACE should not be paying anything. As for the foil arms, it was meant to be LR, but they fucked up. So who should pay for the new work? It should have been worked out and funded by the teams. TNZ & LR in particular. Not expensed to the group running the event. Unless this was in the original deal, in which case LR was paid for shit the didn't do and should have refunded the payment.

But someone had to design it right? That work had to have been carried out separately from the teams race boat. Then there was the AC9F design work. In terms of the foil arms, Yes, LR fucked up in their duty to provide the arms in the time frame allocated, but I highly doubt the rest of the teams were prepared to spend millions of dollars of unplanned money to rectify LRs mistake. As a result, a NZ company was employed to redesign the arms. They would have had to have been paid by someone too. Given it was LRs duty to supply the arms, and not theirs, maybe ETNZ told ACE it was up to them to pay For it, as it was in the best interest of the event that the arms were safe for all to use in the intended way. 

I really don’t think NZME gives a crap about the actual issues. All they want is the interim report released so they can sensationalise the allegations whether they’re true or not. Trial by media.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

But someone had to design it right? That work had to have been carried out separately from the teams race boat. Then there was the AC9F design work. In terms of the foil arms, Yes, LR fucked up in their duty to provide the arms in the time frame allocated, but I highly doubt the rest of the teams were prepared to spend millions of dollars of unplanned money to rectify LRs mistake. As a result, a NZ company was employed to redesign the arms. They would have had to have been paid by someone too. Given it was LRs duty to supply the arms, and not theirs, maybe ETNZ told ACE it was up to them to pay For it, as it was in the best interest of the event that the arms were safe for all to use in the intended way. 

Can see where you are coming from and initially thought the same. Now I'm not so sure. Why should it be covered by money set aside to run the event. Okay without the arms there would be no event, but you could say that about all the work TNZ is doing. We don't know if this is it, but why would we let that stop us, just seems a bit suss if it is.

3 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I really don’t think NZME gives a crap about the actual issues. All they want is the interim report released so they can sensationalise the allegations whether they’re true or not. Trial by media.

But that is standard news media. They got a scoop on the rest, last thing they want is to let everyone else get it at the same time.

Plus Dalts reaction helped make it appear big. Maybe he should have just zipped it and left it to the lawyers. No point having them on retainer if you don't ask for their advice.

1 minute ago, Gissie said:

Can see where you are coming from and initially thought the same. Now I'm not so sure. Why should it be covered by money set aside to run the event. Okay without the arms there would be no event, but you could say that about all the work TNZ is doing. We don't know if this is it, but why would we let that stop us, just seems a bit suss if it is.

Right, I agree, but I guess the government and MBIE really need to be definite in what their definition of “running the event” means. You can guarantee Dalton, Shoebridge and their lawyers will have everything itemised and defined. 

9 minutes ago, Gissie said:

But that is standard news media. They got a scoop on the rest, last thing they want is to let everyone else get it at the same time.

Plus Dalts reaction helped make it appear big. Maybe he should have just zipped it and left it to the lawyers. No point having them on retainer if you don't ask for their advice.

Possibly, but he has forced the informants and MBIEs hand, and now they need to produce clear and irrefutable proof of impropriety. A tough task in the world of the AC. I’m betting M&C don’t have the evidence, and Dalton knows it. Which is why he front footed the debacle. They were relying on the interim report being released to sway public opinion, possibly forcing Daltons resignation. They think they are entitled to run the event no matter what’s happened, and that they can never be dismissed,  even though they already have been, so perhaps swaying public opinion against Dalts forcing his resignation, they feel will leave them open to be reinstated and run the event?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Right, I agree, but I guess the government and MBIE really need to be definite in what their definition of “running the event” means. You can guarantee Dalton, Shoebridge and their lawyers will have everything itemised and defined. 

Hopefully the definition was clear at the beginning or it is the lawyers that will get the 3 mill. But designing parts that were meant to be designed elsewhere is unlikely to have been anticipated,so probably a grey area.

If it is this design work it would explain how there could be sensitive numbers as details of hours worked, by who and amount charged could indicate salaries.

20 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Possibly, but he has forced the informants and MBIEs hand, and now they need to produce clear and irrefutable proof of impropriety. A tough task in the world of the AC. I’m betting M&C don’t have the evidence, and Dalton knows it. Which is why he front footed the debacle. They were relying on the interim report being released to sway public opinion, possibly forcing Daltons resignation. They think they are entitled to run the event no matter what’s happened, and that they can never be dismissed,  even though they already have been, so perhaps swaying public opinion against Dalts forcing his resignation, they feel will leave them open to be reinstated and run the event?

Again, find it hard to agree. M&C are crashing any future if they are just making shit up. Ballsy move, thinking they could force Dalts resignation would be even bigger. Will be interesting to see if we ever get to know what has really occurred.

In the meantime it is important that we keep worrying it to death and making shit up in true SA tradition. Nowhere else is so good at not letting the truth get in the way of a good bitch fight. :D

Does the Government provide any direct funding to ETNZ or purely for infrastructure? Found this from December 2018 -

It would take the Government's contribution to the Auckland waterfront development to $136.5 million

26 minutes ago, Hawke said:

Based on what has been reported today there doesn't need to be any calculations made the actual salaries appear to have been leaked and or are in the report.

I would have thought that there were serious privacy concerns there for the employees affected.

Talk to someone else.

14 minutes ago, Hawke said:

I didn't realise it was just a one on one conversation.  For the benefit of others I was clarifying a point you made. 

Replying makes it one on one with others being able to read your shite. So just answer someone who cares. Assuming there is such a person.

Vittorio made a new video (on FareVela)  for the benefit of Italians, explaining IMHO quite well the situation. Afraid I have to concur with his conclusions:

- ETNZ risks serious financial consequences, also because sponsors hit by the virus crisis may take this as an excuse for copping out. Money shortage at the critical, final moment?

- GD has to fall on his sword

30 minutes ago, Gissie said:

So just answer someone who cares. Assuming there is such a person.

(under license)

Can you guys just create another thread to discuss the scandal?  It would be nice to keep the two issues separate and leave this thread for discussions about sailing, etc....

• Like 1

^ Go ahead, why not?

In the meantime, from the link posted earlier, I wonder if this transcript will be published in the final report? It appears to address one of the allegations. Also, if the AC75 Design was an ACE deliverable then maybe it is specified as such in the HVA?

from https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/122044213/americas-cup-allegations-reserved-decision-in-team-secrets-case

“If the transcript set out in the Beattie Varley report is accurate, then there are very real concerns about what these directors were attempting to do to justify what they say is a legitimate recharge for work carried out by employees at Team New Zealand,” said Stewart.

1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

Can you guys just create another thread to discuss the scandal?  It would be nice to keep the two issues separate and leave this thread for discussions about sailing, etc....

Yah between the cult of personality, dueling small men - unless someone tells me the event is going to be called off; can’t even tell what is going on here 

I can't see why the event that organize the Cup should pay for boat designing. ACE have to organize the event, the broadcast of the event, accomodations, tickets, safety rules against Covid, etc etc. It's up to the Defender and the CoR to choose the boat. It's obvious. They can sail on Optimist if they like, it's not ACE business.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RobG said:

So a material that deforms elasitically? 
There’s a precedent in F1 for this. Rear wings in the early noughties were very flexy. And I think (not sure here) that ferrari had a flexxing rear wing in ‘07 after the the FIA clamped down on the practice. Genuinely wouldn’t surprise me if ETNZ or any other teams were experimenting with this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

^ Go ahead, why not?

In the meantime, from the link posted earlier, I wonder if this transcript will be published in the final report? It appears to address one of the allegations. Also, if the AC75 Design was an ACE deliverable then maybe it is specified as such in the HVA?

from https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/122044213/americas-cup-allegations-reserved-decision-in-team-secrets-case

“If the transcript set out in the Beattie Varley report is accurate, then there are very real concerns about what these directors were attempting to do to justify what they say is a legitimate recharge for work carried out by employees at Team New Zealand,” said Stewart.

I'm surprised that the Beattie Varley draft report included the transcript of an unauthorised recording of confidential ACE management meetings. 

This is looking more and more like Mayo&Calder engaged in a premeditated plot several months ago to betray their employers in a deliberate pre-planned scheme. And now they're squealing like stuck pigs after getting caught - and sacked. 

They're deservedly fucked! 

16 minutes ago, Indio said:

This is looking more and more like Mayo&Calder engaged in a premeditated plot several months ago to betray their employers in a deliberate pre-planned scheme.

But why on earth would they do that? 

To me it all sounds like a budget battle, there are competing interests for how the ACE budget ought to be spent. Again, maybe the HVA lists the AC75 boat design as among the deliverables? If not then maybe ETNZ itself should have paid the ETNZ salaries for it? 

• Like 1

Wasn’t GD quoted somewhere saying saying the disputed $3M was ‘not govt money’? If so then could it be from the commercial sponsorship money at  ACE? Like, from the Title Sponsor LR? Would LR really want LR money used to fund ETNZ’s boat? Yikes! Lol

Edit: maybe it was the Hungarian money that was not ‘govt money.’

If all this is just a media beat up and the $3 mil is an innocent related party transaction hey at least it’s keeping us all entertained during the long wait for some contenders to rock up and start fanging it along with the defender.

Mayo & Calder may have been busted for doing naughty things and sort relief by going to MBIE seeking alms who knows but there still remains the not to small matter of the sloppy T N Z payment practices that gave away nearly $1mil to scammers.

The non disclosure of wage and salary details by seeking a gagging order siting future difficulties for staff retention is valid but seeing that the public has sunk loot to an initial amount of $5 mil directly into their coffers post Bermuda where is the accountability that usually comes with this sort of koha.

Has Grant Dalton drawn a $2 mil annual salary since Valencia.

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Pretty good article. Speaks quite admiringly of TH's brilliant strategic move. I wonder if the KiWhingersTM who were stupidly haranguing that decision will eat their words. They certainly should.