Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

59 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

I’m suggesting, like Dana J in her article too, that GD’s best move given the recent situation is to step away from being the controller of both ACE and ETNZ. And suggesting he’s great at running ETNZ so he  could choose that of the two options. 

Him running both is not a good look, obviously. What would you suggest he do? 

Keep that trophy cabinet full, of course. 

Dalton should, and will stay exactly where he is. Running the event and Defending the Cup

• Like 5

What are the objections to him running just ETNZ instead of both? Am not seeing anything but good about that possible change.  

1 hour ago, Gissie said:

Agree, but much like the AC, people's ideas have and are changing. Questions are now being asked like, if you have been away for 10 years and paid no tax in NZ should you get a free ride back in when it gets tough?

In the meantime the money will continue to be used and, hopefully, they will get the hang of what quarantine means.

i think we are being inundated by kiwi's of convenience

and a lot who know they have been exposed

or

know they are infected

so are taking advantage of our medical system

32 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

What are the objections to him running just ETNZ instead of both? Am not seeing anything but good about that possible change.  

Why would a King give the keys to his treasure-chest to an archbishop, for safe keeping? Chances are the clergyman is buggering the alter boys, in his spare time and could be bought off with a few baubles and trinkets.

Better for said King to keep his riches close, by keeping the key to his treasure-chest securely around his neck.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Because Dalton knows, better than MBIE or any Govt Department what it entails to run a successful America’s Cup event, as well as win it. Public money is only an issue because the media is making it one. The public had no issue with spending taxpayer dollars on heroes welcome home parades in 1987 and 2013 for teams that didn’t Even win the cup, and that was during a recession! and again for more heroes welcome home parades following the successful 1995, 2000 and 2017 Cups. Peter Blake was instrumental in the redesign and reconstruction of the Viaduct harbour (That still enjoys the legacy of that event to this day) as well as the defence itself... that involved public money, but again, no issue. The common theme in this whole thing is... people here don’t like Grant Dalton. You don’t have to like the guy, but he knows what he’s doing when it comes to yachting events and campaigns. He won the Cup. His job, along with CoR according to the DoG, is to run the America’s Cup event. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Why would a King give the keys to his treasure-chest to an archbishop, for safe keeping? Chances are the clergyman is buggering the alter boys, in his spare time and could be bought off with a few baubles and trinkets.

Better for said King to keep his riches close, by keeping the key to his treasure-chest securely around his neck.

Kanterbury clergymen may take back the treasure box.

The possibility has been raised of more than one “whistleblower” 

A lawyer for America’s Cup Event Limited (ACE) told the High Court in Auckland that the identity of one whistleblower is not known, and may not be the contractor Mayo and Calder

ACE’s counsel Davey Salmon said “the original whistleblower may not have been Mayo and Calder”  

We don’t know who that original whistleblower is – the ministry (MBIE) has not said, but they may be the same,” said Salmon. 

isn't ...  " may "  ...  lawyer speak for ...   im talking bullshit but you have to prove it

Good old TC, cherry picking the parts of an article he likes while omitting the parts he doesn’t lol. Some of Mayo and Calders allegations were never true. Some have been disproved, and basically they’re now clutching at straws, now pleading that the draft report be released, no evidence, no facts, just allegations and a draft report written from one parties point of view so “the public” can decide who’s right and who’s wrong. as stated, ETNZ had no idea of the allegations until the draft report was presented so they obviously had not been given the chance to rebut or argue the allegations, yet M&C want it made public? A Kangaroo court.

They don’t know if there is a second “whistle blower” there might be, but then again, it could be the same person... another very insightful story by stuff... smfh. 

56 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

isn't ...  " may "  ...  lawyer speak for ...   im talking bullshit but you have to prove it

Hardly passes the, "beyond reasonable doubt" test, does it.

1 hour ago, Gissie said:

No, we have spent 80+ million on quarantining those returning with a projection of 250mill by year end. Those that were caught out on holiday, maybe, although they should have been aware enough to scurry home.

Those that have been working overseas for years or have left since lockdown and want to get back in, charge the whole price.

It’s not so simple. Many reasons why people couldn’t return to NZ the minute lockdown was announced; some people stranded with flights continually being cancelled and movements restricted, some people thinking the countries they are in would get their act together, some people no longer able to stay locked down overseas due to visas, some people have lost jobs and / or run out of money, the list goes on. In my case, a baby due at exactly the time of lockdown, then waiting for paperwork and passport before able to return. It’s been pretty stressful for most and reading comments like yours only add to the anxiety people are experiencing in this moment. And besides, I personally still run a business out of NZ despite living abroad, pay tax both in NZ  and US. Your POV lacks empathy and understanding of the complexity and diversity of people’s situations.

• Like 6

When the dust settles on all of this, my guess is that NZME won't be ETNZ's preferred outlet for making future announcements or conversation...

• Like 2

Christ this was a turgid few pages of posts to wade through. Bunch of silly old women as Weta rightly pointed out.

Wait for the report you fucking blowhards :P

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Because Dalton knows, better than MBIE or any Govt Department what it entails to run a successful America’s Cup event

Out of interest, could you please tell me which successful America's Cup events Dalton has run. Or is he just another who thinks because he has competed in the cup, he knows how to run one. When was the last time that actually proved to be true?

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, SimonN said:

Out of interest, could you please tell me which successful America's Cup events Dalton has run. Or is he just another who thinks because he has competed in the cup, he knows how to run one. When was the last time that actually proved to be true?

If I may say so, try to read that post again, old whiny Simon.

2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Because Dalton knows, better than MBIE or any Govt Department what it entails to run a successful America’s Cup event, as well as win it.

And BTW, Dalts has run a great number of very complex high profile projects, and many of them very successful, including TNZ. And all of them financially sound too, AFAIK.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NZL3481 said:

When the dust settles on all of this, my guess is that NZME won't be ETNZ's preferred outlet for making future announcements or conversation...

NZME are the"Truth" of the 21st century. ETNZ will just go to TVNZ and the hardcopy and internet media can just pay TVNZ for any sunstantial stories they compile from TV1's news feed. As for the general public, ETNZ can also publish on their web site and link to it from their social media accounts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawke said:

There isn't actually a long list of America's Cup host managers.  Certainly Mayo and Calder aren't among them.  

As the list isn’t long, it should be straightforward to find it, here is a clue, GD isn’t on it. 

4 hours ago, phill_nz said:

i think we are being inundated by kiwi's of convenience

and a lot who know they have been exposed

or

know they are infected

so are taking advantage of our medical system

We’re probably the most mobile population in the world. We’re all kiwis of convenience. 

2 hours ago, SimonN said:

I would count the Louis Vuitton Trophy event that was, by all accounts a National as well as global success that also kept sailors in jobs and kept them racing during the Oracle court case dramas. It may not be the America’s Cup proper, but it is an America’s Cup style event. 

• Like 1

The Louis Vuitton Pacific Series and later, the Louis Vuitton Trophy can be classed as 2 of Daltons successes. It was cost effective, attracted the worlds best sailors and sailing teams at that time and became a global event on a seemingly shoe string budget. Kiwi fans were able to watch the events from multiple vantage points around Auckland 

34 minutes ago, weta27 said:

"Breeze on ..."

- ETNZ FB page.

107810971_4378788582146160_2452147934012103474_o.jpg

Exhibit A - Why an AC50 probably wouldn't work in Auckland...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

The Louis Vuitton Pacific Series and later, the Louis Vuitton Trophy can be classed as 2 of Daltons successes. It was cost effective, attracted the worlds best sailors and sailing teams at that time and became a global event on a seemingly shoe string budget. Kiwi fans were able to watch the events from multiple vantage points around Auckland 

Get your mouth off Grants dick Four a minute please.

That so successful series went nowhere meant nothing and was a dead end street.

Grant then followed that non event with a severe rodgering in San Fransisco.

11 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Get your mouth off Grants dick Four a minute please.

That so successful series went nowhere meant nothing and was a dead end street.

Grant then followed that non event with a severe rodgering in San Fransisco.

It wasn’t meant to “go anywhere” it served the purpose it was meant to serve. It filled the America’s Cup void, and kept teams together during the Oracle court case drama. As for the rogering in San Fran, he then came back and destroyed Oracle and Killed them off. So who got the last laugh? Good riddance.

2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

It wasn’t meant to “go anywhere” it served the purpose it was meant to serve. It filled the America’s Cup void, and kept teams together during the Oracle court case drama. As for the rogering in San Fran, he then came back and destroyed Oracle and Killed them off. Good riddance.

I think if you removed your cum stained glasses for a moment the clear light of day would shine more on the efforts and talents of Glen Pete Blair and others that persevered after the train wreck Grant managed both in San Fransisco and Valencia.

2 hours ago, weta27 said:

"Breeze on ..."

4,800 posts in barely 7 months.

I think there needs to be a separate ENTZ thread about the boat and sailing. Putting everything even remotely related to ENTZ or the AC defence in one thread just turns it into a useless grey mass unfit for following any particular aspect of the team.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Hemi said:

It’s not so simple. Many reasons why people couldn’t return to NZ the minute lockdown was announced; some people stranded with flights continually being cancelled and movements restricted, some people thinking the countries they are in would get their act together, some people no longer able to stay locked down overseas due to visas, some people have lost jobs and / or run out of money, the list goes on. In my case, a baby due at exactly the time of lockdown, then waiting for paperwork and passport before able to return. It’s been pretty stressful for most and reading comments like yours only add to the anxiety people are experiencing in this moment. And besides, I personally still run a business out of NZ despite living abroad, pay tax both in NZ  and US. Your POV lacks empathy and understanding of the complexity and diversity of people’s situations.

Of course it isn't simple and no two situations are the same. But there are some commonalities.

Those on holiday/visiting family. Easy to say they should have changed flights and come back early. Not always easy, but also some have taken the piss, stayed on holiday, then asked for repatriation flights. For free.

Then you get those that have been away for years, made a new life and then "thinking the countries they are in would get their act together". When it didn't happen they want to run home to a place that has dealt with it, for free.

I lived overseas for decades and at no stage, no matter what happened, did I think NZ tax payers should help me out. If I was still overseas and wanted to return I would have expected to pay for the privilege. I have kids and grandkids all overseas, no would expect Kiwi taxpayers to pay for them to return. Assuming they wanted to.

Is it stressful, yes, does that mean everyone just gets a free ride, no. Responsibility for our actions would be a good start. We make choices and should deal with the results.

I hope you and you family well.

12 hours ago, Gissie said:

. The general public has changed in what is considered important and worth money. A yacht race, no matter how prestigious, is no longer in the supported column. Dalts should jus

Based on what polling? Surely you can back your position with some facts?

7 hours ago, SimonN said:

Can you count winning 35 with the rug pulled out beneath him?

10 hours ago, SimonN said:

Same can be said of any challenger who is successful in becoming the defender.

9 hours ago, Hawke said:

The Government isn't paying for their flights just quarantine cost.  If you are going to sanctimoniously bitch about something at least get your facts right.

They subsidised the few repatriation flights that were done early on you wanker. So please just piss off Brucie boy. Give Lifeline a call, they may give a toss about your opinions.

9 hours ago, barfy said:

Based on what polling? Surely you can back your position with some facts?

Polling? If you think the general feeling of what is and isn't important hasn't changed somewhat over the last few months you need to take the blinkers off.

A yacht race is way down the list and it was already way down for most people. To now have a squabble over potentially misused funds does not look good for those with an uncertain future. Have you noticed that Dalts seems to have toned down his original rhetoric. Sensible minds have prevailed as it made him look desperate.

But we are all looking at it differently, I would like the team to still be there after this event. If this shitfight isn't dealt with well the team will be on its own. No more sucking on the rate/tax payer teat. No more using threats to take it elsewhere. Fund yourself.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gissie said:

No more sucking on the rate/tax payer teat. No more using threats to take it elsewhere. Fund yourself.

Yup, could not agree more however I suspect if the defense is successful TNZ will go cap in hand back for more social welfare siting that AC37 will contribute a economic bonanza of such biblical proportions that the staggering losses incurred by AC36 will be recouped ten fold.

16 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Polling? If you think the general feeling of what is and isn't important hasn't changed somewhat over the last few months you need to take the blinkers off.

A yacht race is way down the list and it was already way down for most people. To now have a squabble over potentially misused funds does not look good for those with an uncertain future. Have you noticed that Dalts seems to have toned down his original rhetoric. Sensible minds have prevailed as it made him look desperate.

But we are all looking at it differently, I would like the team to still be there after this event. If this shitfight isn't dealt with well the team will be on its own. No more sucking on the rate/tax payer teat. No more using threats to take it elsewhere. Fund yourself.

They won the cup with no taxpayers dollars last time. That tap was turned off when the Auckland qualifier was Scrapped. Then when they won the government was full of praise for the team and willing to open the taxpayers wallet again to welcome them home and bring forward the developments planned for the Auckland waterfront, a legacy which will have long last effects for Auckland well into the future. What the public thinks is irrelevant. The media makes a song and dance about it, but we know how it goes, because we see it every time. The media bags the team because it’s an easy target, but once the racing starts they’re once again “our team”. Same with the All Blacks. When they win they’re unbeatable, unstoppable. Then they lose and it’s “drop him, he sucks, sack this person, drop that person” then they win again and all is right with the world. 

10 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Yup, could not agree more however I suspect if the defense is successful TNZ will go cap in hand back for more social welfare siting that AC37 will contribute a economic bonanza of such biblical proportions that the staggering losses incurred by AC36 will be recouped ten fold.

Then they can’t be seen to be backing or supporting the team then can they. If they don’t want to support the team, then don’t take the credit when they win. Secondly, no government money for the All Blacks or the Women’s football World Cup either. See how that works out.

18 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Every event in the world promises a biblical bonanza, none of them ever deliver. So it all comes down to photo ops for the politicians. If it is good enough they will chuck someone else's money at it.

In todays world a yacht race photo isn't going to cut the mustard.

10 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Then they can’t be seen to be backing or supporting the team then can they. If they don’t want to support the team, then don’t take the credit when they win. Secondly, no government money for the All Blacks or the Women’s football World Cup either. See how that works out.

If you really think the photo ops from a yacht race compare to one with the AB's or the woman's world Cup there is no point in talking to you.

But I do have a bridge for sale...

45 minutes ago, Hawke said:

I'm not going anywhere.

Finally, an honest comment from Bruce on his future. :lol::lol:

59 minutes ago, Gissie said:

You should borrow against and get another bridge - surely!

9 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

You should borrow against and get another bridge - surely!

Not a bad idea, there are plenty of customers showing up here.

1 hour ago, Gissie said:

Do you not think the country needs something to feel good about? A distraction? Like the boom of movies during the great depression ?

I think your "general feeling" is highly subjective.

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

bring forward the developments planned for the Auckland waterfront, a legacy which will have long last effects for Auckland well into the future.

Crikey if this paltry lot of waterfront improvements cost $150 mil plus the public of Auckland are going to be well out of pocket before anything of use can be developed.

As I have said before some breakwaters pontoons and 3 building platforms is the legacy as of date.

gal9axr9dga83xnysg4p.thumb.jpeg.24d5bbf267a7177314ed237316ecd544.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gissie said:

If you really think the photo ops from a yacht race compare to one with the AB's or the woman's world Cup there is no point in talking to you.

Wait, so you don’t mind government money being thrown around for other sports, rugby and football, both wealthy sports in their own right, but you don’t want government money being put into yachting, that will leave a lasting legacy on Auckland and the country, because photo ops with rugby and football players are better? WTF is wrong with you!?

16 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

We’re all kiwis of convenience. 

did you deliberately misconstrue that

or

do you just simply not understand the situation

12 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Wait, so you don’t mind government money being thrown around for other sports, rugby and football, both wealthy sports in their own right, but you don’t want government money being put into yachting, that will leave a lasting legacy on Auckland and the country, because photo ops with rugby and football players are better? WTF is wrong with you!?

Jesus FOS. Not saying that at all. Funding will be harder to get for all in the future. Funding for one regatta will get harder. Dalts coming out of the gates firing on all cylinders, claiming spies and treason, then going to the courts to stop anything being published is not a good look. Last year it is likely a lot would have been cheering him on. Now not so much. Throwing his toys out of the cot about possible mis-use of public money is not the way for him to get support.

As for things like the Abs etc. Personally all professional teams should stand on their own, no public money for them at all. Ground level clubs etc, shit yeah, and this includes yachting. But giving to TNZ is not giving to yachting, it is giving to a professional team.

47 minutes ago, barfy said:

Do you not think the country needs something to feel good about? A distraction? Like the boom of movies during the great depression ?

I think your "general feeling" is highly subjective.

Agree, but my point is that Dalts yelling about spies and treachery over public funds is not a feel good event. He needs to minimise the fallout and just get on with the sailing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Jesus FOS. Not saying that at all. Funding will be harder to get for all in the future. Funding for one regatta will get harder. Dalts coming out of the gates firing on all cylinders, claiming spies and treason, then going to the courts to stop anything being published is not a good look. Last year it is likely a lot would have been cheering him on. Now not so much. Throwing his toys out of the cot about possible mis-use of public money is not the way for him to get support.

As for things like the Abs etc. Personally all professional teams should stand on their own, no public money for them at all. Ground level clubs etc, shit yeah, and this includes yachting. But giving to TNZ is not giving to yachting, it is giving to a professional team.

Given the stories both Stuff and the Herald were releasing at the time, with headlines including “misappropriation of public funds, and fraud, with no evidence to back up those statements was bound to cause a scene. Better to get ahead of it and defend yourself then say nothing and let the media get in the heads of the public as they did. Instead of having one story given to them by a media that loves to stir the pot, they now had 2 stories. One that goes hand in hand with the America’s Cup, and another that was tugging at the purse strings of every day NZers. Best defence when your back is against the wall is always a good offence.

37 minutes ago, Hawke said:

I have no idea who Bruce is but I guess he is a bit like you imaginary friend.

If you want to fire brickbats at ACE funding by Government then why not fire away at the new Hundertwasser museum in Whangarei.  Paid for entirely by the taxpayer.  $30m.  In honor of a dodgy dude that broke every building code imaginable.  Give him credit though at least he got his building material from the rubbish tip instead of getting them specially made and imported from Italy.

What's more it will never ever make a profit and will be a burden on the taxpayer forever.

Oh the old, look they are even worse than I am, so I can keep being a dick.

Bruce at his best. Do you need me to look up the Lifeline number for you?

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

Given the stories both Stuff and the Herald were releasing at the time, with headlines including “misappropriation of public funds, and fraud, with no evidence to back up those statements was bound to cause a scene. Better to get ahead of it and defend yourself then say nothing and let the media get in the heads of the public as they did. Instead of having one story given to them by a media that loves to stir the pot, they now had 2 stories. One that goes hand in hand with the America’s Cup, and another that was tugging at the purse strings of every day NZers. Best defence when your back is against the wall is always a good offence.

But does a good defense need to be so confrontational? I think he misjudged the original rant and has since been calmed down by others in the team.

His back wasn't against the wall at all, a story came out and it needed to be dealt with. He ramped it up. Now the team needs to find a way to move past this. An easy way would be to offer to drop his roll at ACE. It may not be accepted, but it would be a good step.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Trying to rewrite history? Dalton was not the organiser. Sure, he supported the events and had an involvement, but you seem to have forgotten Bruno Trouble and the people and resources he brought to make it all happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey if this paltry lot of waterfront improvements cost $150 mil plus the public of Auckland are going to be well out of pocket before anything of use can be developed.

As I have said before some breakwaters pontoons and 3 building platforms is the legacy as of date.

gal9axr9dga83xnysg4p.thumb.jpeg.24d5bbf267a7177314ed237316ecd544.jpeg

Just leaving plenty of room for all the super yachts.

9 minutes ago, Gissie said:

But does a good defense need to be so confrontational

Thats the reason Kevin now publicly fronts TNZ Grant is far too abrasive with a shoot from the hip style.

Needs seagulls in order to reach a definitive conclusion

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, NSP said:

Needs seagulls in order to reach a definitive conclusion

Hummingulls?

• Like 2

From my calculations...second place.

19 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Yes. That’s exactly where the F50 and SailGP is in the grand scheme of things... second place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SimonN said:

Trying to rewrite history? Dalton was not the organiser. Sure, he supported the events and had an involvement, but you seem to have forgotten Bruno Trouble and the people and resources he brought to make it all happen.

Look at it this way. Without Dalton, that event would never have happened.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Just so no one connect to the DeVos name wins. 

They are evil personified - and yep, EM are not so slick either 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Just so no one connect to the DeVos name wins. 

They are evil personified - and yep, EM are not so slick either 

So we've now got 4 evil empires on foils then? Nice.

The Emiratis are making everyone else look almost squeaky clean at this point.

19 hours ago, NZL3481 said:

Exhibit A - Why an AC50 probably wouldn't work in Auckland...

The F50's would never be able to sail in rough waters..... oh wait... I guess they did that already....

image.png.de758eb44863ed83d0793c26712af0d6.png

image.png.aadcf257512e3bd54cec4965c2d392dc.png

image.png.93ec94a7b05d3ec59a4f242380367966.png

5 hours ago, Hawke said:

5 hours ago, Hawke said:

Yes that is someting the anti's forget.  The waterfront development was already planned - winning the Cup brought the timeline forward.  People have short memories and obviously forget what the Viaduct looked like before the previous defence in NZ.

Quite frankly I'd rather see the Government invest in ETNZ and provide a possible career path in multiple high value trades that support the sport of sailing.  I'd rather my young daughter end up studying aerodynamics and fluid mechanics than designing new studs for rugby boots or god forbid designing rugby jerseys.

I wonder sometimes about the anit's and naysayers that post on here.  Are they really sailing enthusiasts?

Hawke/Bruce, you and all the other Dorklanders are quire happy for the Government money to be spent on a legacy for Auckland but what is in it for those south of the Bombay Hills, sfa.  However its still their taxes that pay for it.  Even Clarkey's Tauranga get nothing from the AC (except crowing about Burling) no legacy for anywhere else, no money for southern projects.

looks like aucks on an almost calm day

and the mono looks like it's in  the same

52 minutes ago, Hawke said:

Why does it matter?  Why should anyone kowtow to what others MIGHT think?  We didn't win the Cup TWICE by being a bunch of soft cocks.  In that regard it is harder for NZ to defend the Cup than win it because of the scrutiny that is put on the team when the event is here.

0800 LIFELINE (0800 54 33 54)

Give them a call Bruce, they may give a fuck about what you think.

37 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

At 0:15 seconds they are going 40 knots!

Truly amazing machines! They look so obvious now... whereas the original concept seemed relatively awkward.. they flew higher and more heeled

2 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Footage speed critique please

Faaaaaarkin Faaaaaarst!!!

4 hours ago, phill_nz said:

did you deliberately misconstrue that

or

do you just simply not understand the situation

My point was that we’re here because we like it here. I’m not blaming any kiwis from wanting to be here right now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Truly amazing machines! They look so obvious now... whereas the original concept seemed relatively awkward.. they flew higher and more heeled

Amazing yes, awkward still. From many angles they just look ungainly. Fucking fast, but ungainly.

8 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

My point was that we’re here because we like it here. I’m not blaming any kiwis from wanting to be here right now. 

i have a polish mate in aussie

spent 2 years here to get an nz passport then got ROE to aussie

been living there for 40 years

still has an nz passport

by my definition .. a " new zealander of convenience "

many many have done the same

and now its paying up in spades for them ( not the ones that just went to aussie  .. mostly the ones that went back to where they came from or onto other distant destinations )

now we are footing the bill for them

Maybe you all need to get a room before they are overbooked with the repatriation and ferinners coming in for the big race.  HTFU and settle your petty little pissing contests by consuming a lot of piss.  Just Sayin'...

57 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

i have a polish mate in aussie

spent 2 years here to get an nz passport then got ROE to aussie

been living there for 40 years

still has an nz passport

by my definition .. a " new zealander of convenience "

many many have done the same

and now its paying up in spades for them ( not the ones that just went to aussie  .. mostly the ones that went back to where they came from or onto other distant destinations )

now we are footing the bill for them

Ah. Sorry. I didn’t detect the racist undertones. My apologies to you and your iwi. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rh3000 said:

CGI, Gull nosies out of phase and the full that Passes the lens isn’t in focus. Props to the candid nature of the footage clearly set up by the team ;-) damn sneaky kiwis Haha.

using the railings as scale they are doing 36.890 kts +\-  0.43 kts 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Ah. Sorry. I didn’t detect the racist undertones. My apologies to you and your iwi. 

Not sure where the racist undertones are. NZ was an easy mark for getting into Aus for decades. Get turned down, come to Kiwi (much easier) then criss the ditch once the paper work was completed. Also a lot of Chinese played the same game. Some would go to Aus and some would go back home to work, leaving the kids and parents in NZ. No tax, lots of benefits, sweet life.

Aus warned us many times about being a backdoor which we ignored. So they changed the rules to what they are now.

There was also an influx of Hong Kongers in 98 who immediately went home after the hand over. But kept the passport.

• Like 1

I just have to keep looking at that clip over and over again, my eyes are finding it difficult to process a yacht moving like that!

Just showed Mrs Weta and she couldn't believe it either. That's scary.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, weta27 said:

I just have to keep looking at that clip over and over again, my eyes are finding it difficult to process a yacht moving like that!

Just showed Mrs Weta and she couldn't believe it either. That's scary.

Too bloody right Weta when you get up close and personal with TeAihe sailing or should that be flying at that speed it defies all logic simply quite unbelievable.

The sound is very eerie.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hawke said:

Yep and I'm proud to say that it was ETNZ that came up with the concept.

On one hand yes but on the other the empty viaduct with only three contenders makes me think these new fangled flying machines could well be sharing the same motorway berth the AC 72 occupies.

Sure bet will be if unfortunately the Cup leaves the AC75 will never be seen again, far too complicated and far too expensive to be historically sustainable over many cycles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gissie said:

Not sure where the racist undertones are. NZ was an easy mark for getting into Aus for decades. Get turned down, come to Kiwi (much easier) then criss the ditch once the paper work was completed. Also a lot of Chinese played the same game. Some would go to Aus and some would go back home to work, leaving the kids and parents in NZ. No tax, lots of benefits, sweet life.

Aus warned us many times about being a backdoor which we ignored. So they changed the rules to what they are now.

There was also an influx of Hong Kongers in 98 who immediately went home after the hand over. But kept the passport.

So?

22 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

On one hand yes but on the other the empty viaduct with only three contenders makes me think these new fangled flying machines could well be sharing the same motorway berth the AC 72 occupies.

Sure bet will be if unfortunately the Cup leaves the AC75 will never be seen again, far too complicated and far too expensive to be historically sustainable over many cycles.

This cycle introduced a completely new concept. By introducing a completely new and untested concept, they had to also introduce, design, test and validate new tools. They had gather data because there wasn’t any. It has been expensive and time consuming, But should the AC75 continue, the tools, the data and the knowledge will be available and will make the next iteration easier to produce. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hawke said:

ETNZ had been planning this class of boat well before Bermuda.  

Yep, still, that’s what has made this cycle so expensive and time consuming. A brand new, untested concept of boat. Developing the tools for such a machine is one of the most, if not the most important part. If your tools give you the wrong answers it doesn’t matter where you think your strengths are. The redesign of the foil arms proved that. I personally hope the AC75s continue, and if ETNZ wins, I see this class, albeit a new iteration of it continuing.

58 minutes ago, Hawke said:

Yep and I'm proud to say that it was ETNZ that came up with the concept.

Sorry but not even close - thats been out there for years and Butch Dalrymple-Smyth ( used to be with Ron Holland  ) actually built one in the S of France.  It's another rehash of ideas that have been around for ages, the difference is that materials and the electronics and other technology now exists to build something at this scale and make it work.