Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

7 minutes ago, robberzdog said:

...otherwise the Cup was going to Cagliari...

...ETNZ worked for the last campaign out of a disused oil storage facility office and some tents....

It should have. And they probably will again...in Abu Dhabi.

Lots of interests jumped on the AC funding bandwagon, waterfront interested Panuku included, using the AC as an excuse to accelerate ‘already planned’ improvements. Understandable. 

But ACE’s paid-for EIS doc sold a bill of goods to the Auk ratepayers and Govt taxpayers, using a way-over optimistic sell-job commissioned to make that case, as is usual for events trying to fund themselves out of public money.

It sounds like Panuku and other interests are now facing Corona-related budget cuts and are looking around to try recoup revenues, some of which in retrospect (like because of the fire too) are re-setting  the conversation around what’s actually ‘essential’ under the whole new framework. 

Can this thing ‘sell’ in only NZ and still make any money? Who’s going to ‘sell’ it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

The council will pay $13m to its owner, Regional Facilities Auckland, a council-controlled organisation, for Team New Zealand’s use of the events centre. It will be closed to public events for up to seven years.

So clarify is that $13m for seven years?  Seems a poor earner to me. 

Without these sorts of deals NZ would have had no chance of defending the Cup or winning it for that matter.

Also clearly this arrangement was all part of the deal to secure the hosting of the event for Auckland.  I'm sure there were other cities around the world willing to deal with ETNZ to host the event.

5 minutes ago, Hawke said:

So clarify is that $13m for seven years?  Seems a poor earner to me. 

Without these sorts of deals NZ would have had no chance of defending the Cup or winning it for that matter.

Also clearly this arrangement was all part of the deal to secure the hosting of the event for Auckland.  I'm sure there were other cities around the world willing to deal with ETNZ to host the event.

With Matteo worth billions, I sometimes wonder why ETNZ gets into any of this crap. 

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

With Matteo worth billions, I sometimes wonder why ETNZ gets into any of this crap. 

Because the real money is used for go-fast bits on the yachts, Stinger. Excluding any amounts syphoned-off for other stuff of course, according to our creative media. ;-)

24 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Lots of interests jumped on the AC funding bandwagon, Panuku included, using the AC as an excuse to accelerate ‘already planned’ improvements. Understandable. 

But ACE’s paid-for EIS doc sold a bill of goods to the Auk ratepayers and Govt taxpayers, using a way-over optimistic sell-job commissioned to make that case, as is usual for events trying to fund themselves out of public money.

It sounds like Panuku and other interests are now facing Corona-related budget cuts and are looking around to try recoup revenues, some of which in retrospect (like the fire too) are setting  the conversation around what’s ‘essential’ in a whole new framework. 

Bit late for that approach now.  As has already been pointed out The Council already had issues.  

Congrats to Dalts and ETNZ for negotiating a great deal.

If the Auckland Council was serious about assessing what was essential they would start with the top level salaries in their own organisation and those they fund.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Who’s going to ‘sell’ it?

I think the more pressing question now regarding AC36 is "who's going to buy it"?

44 minutes ago, Hawke said:

I'm sure there were other cities around the world willing to deal with ETNZ to host the event.

Would not bet the house on that one.

Daltons "threat" to ship the event offshore was akin to Peter Jackson threatening to ship the Hobbit offshore if NZ did not rewrite local labour laws.

It's called leverage if TNZ had a viable offshore location that would have produced the pennies from heaven they have received from the rate payer and taxpayer for this cycle maybe they should of gone.

Yeah right.

3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Almost sounds like a negotiating threat, a way to resolve the ACE GD vs ETNZ GD brouhaha, adding this provision into the larger deal for better public consumption of the resolution. The article suggests it is amicable, like there’s a bit of give-back. 

Not much to get excited about here.

All this is moot in the unfortunate event that ETNZ surrenders the Cup.

If as we expect NZ wins, and Goff and the Council persist in their views, ETNZ will have to stump up rent a year earlier than anticipated. That shouldn't be a hard ask of sponsors and supporters in the glow of victory. For one thing, the team won't be faced with any of the disruption, setup, or modification expenses incurred this time around..

And if Mayo and Calder are still at large and itching to get back into their fancy event locale, that should be an extra inducement to ETNZ to find ways to stay put.

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

Lol Someone’s still bitter that ETNZ won  the cup lol

don't encourage him

his mother has to go down to the basement to clean up the soup kitchens worth of spoof that he blows all over all himself every time someone clicks a like...  or even just sound like they might agree with him

12 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Would not bet the house on that one.

Daltons "threat" to ship the event offshore was akin to Peter Jackson threatening to ship the Hobbit offshore if NZ did not rewrite local labour laws.

It's called leverage if TNZ had a viable offshore location that would have produced the pennies from heaven they have received from the rate payer and taxpayer for this cycle maybe they should of gone.

Yeah right.

Politicians can't have it both ways.  Standing on the podium basking in the glory when we win or breaking the champagne when a new boat is launched then running for cover when foul weather arrives.

Never expect a politician to be consistent.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is one or two in the background drilling holes and feeding the media in order to deflect the narrative away from what else they are doing.

8 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

No I think Smack a Daddy is anti-Cup full stop.

17 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Apparently this thing is what he’s talking about lol 

Screen-Shot-2017-11-26-at-9.11.23-AM.png

S&S are gonna be pissed you've let their cat out of the bag a couple of days early before they launch, shame on you.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Ah, so you're not ignoring my bustle like you so fervently claimed? Heh.

As I've said many times - no one ignores me. I'm right too often.

4 hours ago, Hawke said:

I think the NZ public is quickly turning on its AC team.

LOL.

Just check the comments on FB under that latest video fly-by.

2 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

This would definitely be in the Top 10 Dumbest things you have written.......

But keep patting yourself on the back Champ, I mean Chump.......

12 minutes ago, weta27 said:

LOL.

Just check the comments on FB under that latest video fly-by.

Weta I didn't say the quote you attribute to me.  It is probably a quote taken from a quote I quoted from another poster in a post I made.

For the record I don't for a minute believe that ETNZ fans are turning them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

This Cup might be a cautionary tale for Defenders soliciting government money. Better off with frackers. 

Government money has been much more reliable than any frackers, Larry, Artemis, Alingi or any other fully funded ego driven arrangement because it is based on buying publicity for a fee.

• Like 1

With apologies to RG (but not to the NZ Herald), from behind the paywall. 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12347252

It has been a stormy fortnight for the America's Cup ashore and afloat.

On the water Emirates Team New Zealand has been in the hours - testing and training with their recommissioned AC75, Te Aihe.

Their schedule has been dictated to a large extent by the weather, with Auckland turning on its usual winter mix of strong winds, or no wind, interspersed with the occasional fine, relatively warm day as an entrée for the coming summer of sailing.

Te Aihe's performance seems to have improved in the four months in transit between New Zealand and Italy and return.

Its penchant for doing spectacular splashdowns has all but disappeared from the repertoire. The only serious one in the many sessions caught on camera happened when crossing a ferry wake.

The difference seems to be that the crew are trimming Te Aihe a lot more accurately - flying low, with the boat being upright or heeled to windward, and often with the centreline bustle just centimetres clear of the water.

Helmsman Peter Burling is sailing Te Aihe with the same precision he sails the 49er. Speeds are believed to be close to the elusive 50kts "sound barrier" for foiling yachts.

The latest wing shapes, featuring a ballast bulb, first seen on the test boat, the 12-metre long Te Kāhu, have not yet made an appearance - but are assumed to be in manufacture. They may help reduce cavitation - the enemy of all foils - and allow that top speed to start with a five.

Te Kāhu seems to have done its job well, with the smaller boat being a lot more sensitive to handle and steer. The crew have taken those lessons across to the larger and more forgiving

Team New Zealand is seeing the silver lining from the cloud of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic postponement. By rights three, maybe four, of the America's Cup sailing team would now be on Enoshima Bay doing their final preparations for the Olympic Regatta - which was set down to start in a fortnight.

The time demands of the Olympic program would have punched a big hole in the America's Cup workup. Now you get the impression that the rich are getting richer.

Based on the build-up program leading into the 2016 Olympics, an educated guess is a gain of three months at least - without a split America's Cup/Olympics focus.

Emirates Team New Zealand sailing on Thursday in fresh breezes hitting close to 50kts. Photo / Emirates Team New Zealand

The honing of racing skills gained from Olympic and other competition has to be replaced. But that is an issue for another day. In the Covid-19 era, all teams are currently in the same situation.

Outwardly, the sailing team seem to be isolated from the smoke and mirrors of the High Court and media brouhaha of the past ten days. They head out to go training while the management team go through another round of legal and commercial meetings.

Most sailing sessions seem to be of around four hours, with the launch time and departure time being dictated by the weather forecast. The team seem to be surprisingly adept at picking when a fresh Auckland breeze will drop to allow a useful window for sailing. Or, more importantly, when it is due to increase so the test boat or AC75 can sail back to base ahead of the change.

At this time of the year, changes can hit very quickly with not so obvious wind squalls preceding rain showers.

The wind warning process was made a lot easier over the summer with the addition of many new anemometers measuring actual wind speed and direction dotted around the Waitemata Harbour and Hauraki Gulf. They can be displayed in real-time by systems such as Predictwind. As well as providing vital information for the Cup teams, they are an invaluable safety resource for boaties.

The daily sailing sessions consist of a mix of speed testing and racing practice, mixed with blasts of free sailing.

Speed testing is usually characterised by usually sailing across the wind and then returning at close to the reciprocal angle. That way the speed and other characteristics of a test foil, or sail, can be compared with the standard foil/sail by the design and performance engineers - watching from the chase boat or online from the team base.

In the first session of a major upgrade to the AC75 or test boat, the session is punctuated by sometimes lengthy breaks between runs as the chase boats gather around the yacht and adjustments are made.

As the session progresses, the adjustment period will typically reduce, until a couple of runs are done at the end, usually without a break, and a few more items are ticked off the test script, ready for the morrow.

Race practice is easy to spot with several yellow marks loaded into the back end of one of the chase boats, which sets them up depending on the exercise to be done that session.

In between the two session types are longer runs typical of sailing practice in the Olympic classes with the coaches and crew and maybe the designers calling the shots.

The spies, or reconnaissance teams as they are known in polite circles, are back in force now the Covid-19 lockdowns are over and "recreational" boating is allowed. American Magic was out this week in their chase boat carrying team signage. INEOS Team UK also has a team chase boat in Auckland, which was spotted pre-lockdown.

Luna Rossa is sticking with their chartered Protector - and are the most frequent visitor to the Kiwi test sessions.

Of the Challengers, the first to sail will be the New York Yacht Club's American Magic. Their base is under construction, and Defiant, their first AC75, is expected to move inside the boatshed this weekend - and then recommissioning will commence.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hawke said:

Weta I didn't say the quote you attribute to me.  It is probably a quote taken from a quote I quoted from another poster in a post I made.

For the record I don't for a minute believe that ETNZ fans are turning them.

41 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Sorry about that Hawke, yes it was a SmackDaddy quote within a quote.

Now, gentlemen, there's no reason to fight over my crumbs. You're free to speak directly to me if you have qualms with any of my valuable insights..

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Is this guy always drunk when he writes his articles?

In the end, New Zealand Inc got very value for their investment in Valencia and San Francisco...

The dude barely makes any sense in the first place - then he's obviously got a blind man for an editor. What's the freakin' point?

"Gladwell's Line"? It blows.

6 hours ago, robberzdog said:

When the Auckland Council Hearings were on to decide which option they should back for the waterfront redevelopment, they were well aware that the  Viaduct Events Centre was doomed to become  a white elephant once the Sky City Conference Centre was opened. VEC had no ongoing bookings other than the Boat Show, and would have been cheaper to demolish than stay open.

After the Sky City Conference centre has had  its rebuild, after the fire, Auckland Council will be back in the same position as they were in 2017/18 - struggling to get a tenant for the VEC unless they moved the National Maritime Museum out of Hobson Wharf - which solved one problem and created another.

It is also forgotten that when the Council, MBIE and ETNZ/ACE had a $40million gap they were trying to close on the various options for Wynyard Point etc, but couldn't. It was ETNZ who suggested that they move into the VEC - at no cost - which pulled cost out of the other options and closed the $40m gap, otherwise the Cup was going to Cagliari..

And of course with selective memories running at warp speed, overlook that the Council chose the most expensive option as they wanted no further incursion into the harbour - and the chosen option required substantial work on near derelict facilities and disused tanks  for which, as the Minister pointed out they were up for the repair/removal costs anyway of $150million.

People also forget that ETNZ worked for the last campaign out of a disused oil storage facility office and some tents. But that area has now gone in the Site 18/Orams superyacht maintenance facility.

The whole deal is covered in the Host Venue Agreement and if ETNZ defend the Cup, they won't be going anywhere, and won't be paying rent either.

++

4 hours ago, Boink said:

This would definitely be in the Top 10 Dumbest things you have written.......

But keep patting yourself on the back Champ, I mean Chump.......

Mate.

Top 10? 

You would need an artificial Dumbest algorithm to sort the buckets of wasted ascii with this one.

Edit.. An ADA

I want to know who is bankrolling SmackBadly and his mates here.  Takes some cash to fund shills to attack the AC.

Who the fuck is behind these cunts?

16 minutes ago, astro said:

Who the fuck is behind these cunts?

i believe its roger ring that's behind him

2 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Getting up on the foils

Wow that looks painful. 

If there's a light air race and a boat falls off foil, it's going to be nail biting time for the fans.

Really curious to see if the upwind start is viable in low breeze. I didn't love the reaching start in cats but it might still make sense.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Getting up on the foils

Do you have a link, I can't get the video to play.  Nevermind, I found a link. (https://m.facebook.com/groups/2272813296352961?view=permalink&id=2392065191094437&source=43)

That is what they all have been telling us about this boat design It flies very good, but is a devil to get up on the foils.

Saying it looks painful /terrible etc to get foiling.... compared to what?  It’s 10 kts, and it weighs a fuck load. Plus no code zero. It’s B1 and (likely) it’s first set of foils. 

what are people expecting it to do? 

4kt take off speed In 2kts of wind? 

I feel dirty defending the kiwis but seriously? 

• Like 4

Hey, I'm a reformed hater of this design, but are you really saying that doesn't look slow to foil to you?  You make a good point about the zero but pretty sure the cats would be up faster than that.  And yes this is training and there's a lot of development, but do you seriously think this couldn't make for a dull race if one boat sails into a hole or can't foil off the start and the other can?  I'm coming around on this, and am hoping NZ wins, but we have to be honest about what we see or it's all just partisan bickering. 

11 minutes ago, RMac said:

...we have to be honest about what we see or it's all just partisan bickering. 

Yeah - good luck with that.

15 minutes ago, RMac said:

Hey, I'm a reformed hater of this design, but are you really saying that doesn't look slow to foil to you?  You make a good point about the zero but pretty sure the cats would be up faster than that.  And yes this is training and there's a lot of development, but do you seriously think this couldn't make for a dull race if one boat sails into a hole or can't foil off the start and the other can?  I'm coming around on this, and am hoping NZ wins, but we have to be honest about what we see or it's all just partisan bickering. 

Even the Cats sailed into holes and fell off the foils in Bermuda. Race 2, mark 5 of saw ETNZ round the top mark with Oracle a couple of seconds behind only to gybe into a hole and the Kiwis took off to a 500 metre lead immediately. 

24 minutes ago, RMac said:

I loved the cats in Bermuda and San Francisco- but... I kind of remember Artemis, LR-bar and Etnz boats falling apart in gusts not much over 20 knots in protected sound. 

If top speed was all that mattered... not sure why anyone bothers with crew. 

Morning, Hawke. Lot's of blue tears on the Mainland this morning.

Pic: Photosport

DQRNMA2JBBBBJFMPRU6P4D24ZI.jpg

10 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Getting up on the foils

7 hours ago, RMac said:

Really curious to see if the upwind start is viable in low breeze. I didn't love the reaching start in cats but it might still make sense.

Nice the way, when these machines are flying, the AWA straightens out the courses too.

Edited by Sailbydate
fuckup

7 hours ago, RMac said:

Wow that looks painful. 

If there's a light air race and a boat falls off foil, it's going to be nail biting time for the fans.

Flood tide and fuck all breeze nothing looks wicked fast in those conditions.

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Morning, Hawke. Lot's of blue tears on the Mainland this morning.

Pic: Photosport

DQRNMA2JBBBBJFMPRU6P4D24ZI.jpg

:D  A lot like ETNZ on the water - can step up another gear with ease.

America's Cup: Race to get broadcast system tested

The highly sophisticated broadcast system for the America’s Cup faces its own race to be ready with an intense period of testing in Auckland looming.

The cancelled world series regattas in Italy and England due to the coronavirus pandemic mean the system will need to be de-bugged in Auckland in time for its global airing for the Christmas Cup in December.

Three containers of equipment are about to be shipped from Europe to Auckland with a further three to be air-freighted.

They are part of a $40m production – the biggest single cost of the looming regatta – and one that was recently scammed with funds unwittingly sent to a Hungarian bank account.

They have assembled a world class collection of broadcasting know-how to form America's Cup TV, combining international experience at Formula One, Olympics, and the Fifa World Cup, with New Zealand talent that has proven its worth with the America’s Cup in the shape of Dunedin outfits Igtimi and Ian Taylor and John Rendall’s ARL, who can bring virtual racing to life.

There’s an edgy element too – Austria’s West4 Media were the producers of the Red Bull Stratos space jump with Felix Baumgartner which broke viewing records around the world – that hints at something being done outside the square on these revolutionary boats.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RMac said:

but do you seriously think this couldn't make for a dull race if one boat sails into a hole or can't foil off the start and the other can?

Have you watched any America's Cup racing in the last decade?

5 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Saying it looks painful /terrible etc to get foiling.... compared to what?  It’s 10 kts, and it weighs a fuck load. Plus no code zero. It’s B1 and (likely) it’s first set of foils. 

what are people expecting it to do? 

4kt take off speed In 2kts of wind? 

I feel dirty defending the kiwis but seriously? 

Dirty indeed.

It's also noticeable that there was no big soak as they were lifting off as was the usual plan with the cats. I think I see a big trim on tho.

12 minutes ago, weta27 said:

The highly sophisticated broadcast system for the America’s Cup faces its own race to be ready with an intense period of testing in Auckland looming.

The cancelled world series regattas in Italy and England due to the coronavirus pandemic mean the system will need to be de-bugged in Auckland in time for its global airing for the Christmas Cup in December.

Three containers of equipment are about to be shipped from Europe to Auckland with a further three to be air-freighted.

They are part of a $40m production – the biggest single cost of the looming regatta – and one that was recently scammed with funds unwittingly sent to a Hungarian bank account.

They have assembled a world class collection of broadcasting know-how to form America's Cup TV, combining international experience at Formula One, Olympics, and the Fifa World Cup, with New Zealand talent that has proven its worth with the America’s Cup in the shape of Dunedin outfits Igtimi and Ian Taylor and John Rendall’s ARL, who can bring virtual racing to life.

There’s an edgy element too – Austria’s West4 Media were the producers of the Red Bull Stratos space jump with Felix Baumgartner which broke viewing records around the world – that hints at something being done outside the square on these revolutionary boats.

Among a few encouraging GD quotes in that one:

“There’s a standard now that people expect because there’s no doubt that the telecast in Bermuda was really good ... that has to be our basic benchmark,” Team New Zealand’s Grant Dalton said.

• Like 1

Here’s a snap or two from even before Bermuda, in SF. I hope they get the new thing worked out as beautifully as even ‘13 was.

095B66D6-5BD7-4FD6-BBD3-438B0AD625CB.thumb.png.714581ce4d06cde32f7a39603a4dfaa6.pngBB03BC87-C42E-43C7-B7B0-A7389A7E7315.thumb.jpeg.3799cd42563a6caef179a32b7539a11b.jpeg3F0533B2-2077-4A0C-A699-FCA8CCF3565D.thumb.jpeg.54a769e9dd2ba755fc81f6f78da2dbcf.jpegDD7A7534-AA89-4018-8157-7D6062A2AA71.thumb.jpeg.5dbc71bb0e460fe857f25fa1a1a89afb.jpeg

Oh boy...

...while predictive courses will help sailing novices get a feel for what’s about to unfold...

Not happening. Then this...

We are not looking for a revenue model, we are looking to show the sailing, the Cup and New Zealand to as many corners of the world that we can through TV but also through free digital,” Dalton said.

That's been pretty clear across the board. Not looking for a model - just revenue in the form of public funds?

PS - some results of the early graphics overlay systems testing leaked to another publication...

43926854-colorful-drawing-sailing-boat-i

20 minutes ago, astro said:

Have you watched any America's Cup racing in the last decade?

Make that the last 3.7 decades.

2 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Oh boy...

Not happening. Then this...

That's been pretty clear across the board. Not looking for a model - just revenue in the form of public funds?

Dalts has always pushed that televising the event should be free to air to NZ'ers.  That doesn't mean public money funds it but that costs are covered by other means than subscription to view.

However outside of NZ you may need to pay.

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Nice the way, when these machines are flying, the AWA straightens out the courses too.

Yep if this was a vid of a Cat it would be sailing towards you trying to foil rather than away.

The effect of the bridge on the wind doesn't help either.

7 minutes ago, Hawke said:

Dalts has always pushed that televising the event should be free to air to NZ'ers.

It’s 90% of the target audience, makes sense since they are also who’s fronting up a lot to put it on.

The biggest in-house crowd to witness AC racing since Valencia (also free admittance  and TV for them) might have been ACWS Napoli. Yes it was a holiday weekend but they showed up in the tens of thousands for that event, when Prada debuted their two AC45’s, named Swordfish and Pirhana. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

It’s 90% of the target audience, makes sense since they are also who’s fronting up a lot to put it on.

Yes I was worried that when Spark were on board as a major sponsor that we would be forced to subscribe to their crappy digital online sports channel.  

7 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

$250M is a bit steep for "free" television - especially of a woefully anemic event that the NZ public is already soured on. But I guess math works differently in NZ. Could you imagine the Emiratis trying to charge Kiwis to watch this thing now? Good lord the whole country would melt down.

I think your numbers are right though. I doubt AC36 will see much viewership beyond the islands.

4 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

I doubt AC36 will see much viewership beyond the islands.

If it’s ‘free’ to cable channels like what happened for SF and Bermuda then there’s a good chance it will be on one of the several TV screens in bars in the US. In my area it did garner surprisingly good attention, it’s something different for sure, there’s a lot of boating here too. 

Everyone who cares enough to try to, will find pirated live feeds regardless of whether it’s ‘free’ in their area or not.

Like NO pointed out recently in the SGP thread, even in the unexpectedly light winds the Bermuda Finals were raced in, OTUSA were as fast as ETNZ acrosswind and downwind but got eaten alive upwind because their foils were optimized for a few knots uprange. 

My point is, that in both the SF comeback and the Bermuda shellacking, the AC TV production did an excellent job explaining all that, near-instantaneous graphics included to show through-tack speed curves and more. 

The average punter at a bar was more fascinated by all of the great commentary and graphics, than they were about which nationality whatever team’s flag was flying. 

45 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Here’s a snap or two from even before Bermuda, in SF. I hope they get the new thing worked out as beautifully as even ‘13 was.

095B66D6-5BD7-4FD6-BBD3-438B0AD625CB.thumb.png.714581ce4d06cde32f7a39603a4dfaa6.pngBB03BC87-C42E-43C7-B7B0-A7389A7E7315.thumb.jpeg.3799cd42563a6caef179a32b7539a11b.jpeg3F0533B2-2077-4A0C-A699-FCA8CCF3565D.thumb.jpeg.54a769e9dd2ba755fc81f6f78da2dbcf.jpegDD7A7534-AA89-4018-8157-7D6062A2AA71.thumb.jpeg.5dbc71bb0e460fe857f25fa1a1a89afb.jpeg

The coverage in San Fransisco was excellent and looking at the production team 8 years on it will be vastly improved yippee.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RMac said:

I am saying looking at a video shot with a potato from so far away you can’t actually set the precise lift off as well as Having no idea when they start that power up, lifting trying to foil process, 

is kinda pointless making statements about the speed to foil. 

The team have just taken Te Aihe out, towed out without sails up. Main is in the bottom of the track, furled light wind head sail off the bowsprit.P1110461-resized.thumb.jpg.ba51d8e4fb6815bdced99230e971e6f0.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Like NO pointed out recently in the SGP thread, even in the unexpectedly light winds the Bermuda Finals were raced in, OTUSA were as fast as ETNZ acrosswind and downwind but got eaten alive upwind because their foils were optimized for a few knots uprange. 

My point is, that in both the SF comeback and the Bermuda shellacking, the AC TV production did an excellent job explaining all that, near-instantaneous graphics included to show through-tack speed curves and more. 

The average punter at a bar was more fascinated by all of that, than by which nationality the team flag was flying. 

Yeah - LERC know how to televise an event. No question. That's the standard - and it's just going higher and higher every season. We'll see what the Emiratis can do. I'm not expecting much.

3 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

We'll see what the Emiratis can do. I'm not expecting much.

LOL - you really do have the Anti-Cup syndrome bad don't you.  Do I need to remind you who developed the first ever real time graphic package yachting used in 1992?  Hint:  they are involved this time round.  By the way they were officially involved in Bermuda as well.

ARL? Yes, they’ve done good work for (among others) the TP52’s but it’s been nothing like what AC35 achieved. Here’s hoping.

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

$250M is a bit steep for "free" television - especially of a woefully anemic event that the NZ public is already soured on.

You could make Trump great again!  But surely you can see not that repeating falsehoods repeatedly doesn't make them true.

8 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

ARL? Yes, they’ve done good work for (among others) the TP52’s but it’s been nothing like what AC35 achieved. Here’s hoping.

Yes ARL. They were on deck in Bermuda.  I'm not sure how much of their stuff was being officially used but at least this much -  provided broadcast, mobile and onsite services - which included the Official AC+ App, 3D real-time tracking graphics, broadcast infographics, 360 video aboard AC50s, onsite touchscreen installations, grinding simulators and sailing simulators.

2 hours ago, weta27 said:

The media package for the event is almost as cool as the sailing technology for sure.

I'm hoping we get better onboard action than before. The ultimate would be an interactive setup whereby we can choose, as viewers, which camera and angle we want to look through. 

360° cameras have come a long way in the last few years. There's 5G coverage over the entire courses so, there's no excuse for poor media coverage.

Even if I'm out there on my superyachy watching live, I'll be sure to have the TV on. 

4 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

SpinKahu really isn't worth the time. Little dude is almost as bad as Four.

Virtual Eye was pretty good for its day...which has come and gone. Kind of like Silicon Graphics computers.

Stan's work has been utterly revolutionary. It's why he's in he Broadcast Hall of Fame.

Of course you can find online some Yanks saying THEY were the first to do real time graphics from a yacht race.  Fake news!

3 minutes ago, Hawke said:

Of course you can find online some Yanks saying THEY were the first to do real time graphics from a yacht race.  Fake news!

I never realised Ernest Rutherford was a Yank.

"Americans harnessed electricity, split the atom, and gave the world the telephone and the internet. We settled the Wild West, won two World Wars, landed American Astronauts on the Moon—and one day soon, we will plant our flag on Mars!" — President

• Like 1

Virtual Eye was pretty good for its day...which has come and gone. Kind of like Silicon Graphics computers.

Stan's work has been utterly revolutionary. It's why he's in he Broadcast Hall of Fame.

Told you some Yank would say some Yank was better.  Where was Stan Honey in 1992?  That's 4 years BEFORE he designed a system to track a hockey puck!

Bit like Trump saying an American was the the first to split the atom!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Just like the AC50’s time has come and gone. The AC72’s and AC50 s were pretty good in their day as well, but that day has come and gone.
GDs work in the AC is also revolutionary which is why he holds an OBE award. 

18 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

I never realised Ernest Rutherford was a Yank.

"Americans harnessed electricity, split the atom, and gave the world the telephone and the internet. We settled the Wild West, won two World Wars, landed American Astronauts on the Moon—and one day soon, we will plant our flag on Mars!" — President

Or that  Alexander Graham Bell wasn't Scottish?

I know you KiWhingersTM have trouble keeping up, but who said anything about "being first"? We're talking about quality - not timing.

Let me help in a way you can understand. It's kind of like this...

yok1n5sbdd.jpg

versus this...

tenor.gif?itemid=14391479

I know you KiWhingersTM have trouble keeping up, but who said anything about "being first"? We're talking about quality - not timing.

Let me help in a way you can understand. It's kind of like this...

yok1n5sbdd.jpg

versus this...

tenor.gif?itemid=14391479

Oh the irony. Musk was born in South Africa to South African and Canadian parents. He didn't move to the US until he was 19.

I'm sure there are real Americans who have built much better flame throwers a long time ago…

2 minutes ago, RobG said:

Oh the irony. Musk was born in South Africa to South African and Canadian parents. He didn't move to the US until he was 19.

I'm sure there are real Americans who have built much better flame throwers a long time ago…

You can't keep up either, Rob? I'm talking about quality. What the hell are you talking about?

Just now, smackdaddy said:

You can't keep up either, Rob? What the hell are you talking about?

Keep up? This thread is so full of shit one more casual dag dropping into the cesspit won't make any difference to the stink.

1 minute ago, RobG said:

Keep up? This thread is so full of shit one more casual dag dropping into the cesspit won't make any difference to the stink.

Okay - that I'll give you. Best talk to those KiWhingerTM pals of yours about that.

Meanwhile, ETNZ just keeps sailing...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, weta27 said:

They have assembled a world class collection of broadcasting know-how to form America's Cup TV, combining international experience at Formula One, Olympics, and the Fifa World Cup, with New Zealand talent that has proven its worth with the America’s Cup in the shape of Dunedin outfits Igtimi and Ian ne and John Rendall’s ARL, who can bring virtual racing to life.

And, of course, the usual naysayers and self-appointed experts jump right in to assure us that no-one will care, or watch, outside NZ. Reminds me of "87 and the first Aussie defence in Freo. Gary Jobson was quick to tell us it would be a bust.  It was on the other side of the world, in the wrong timezone, and no-one would haul their  arses out of bed to watch 12-Metre Cup racing at 0400. The on-water coverage technology has been evolving steadily since then and we have been beneficiaries, none more than Jobson.

Haven’t seen this posted here. Sorry if it’s a repeat. 

Some great close up manoeuvres, sailing on the preferred race area. Yes, you’ll get views like this from the foreshore. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, uflux said:

Meanwhile, ETNZ just keeps sailing...

What a cracker of a day out there, warm, sunny, flat water and steady breeze.

They put their sails up out in the Channel, then blatted across to give the Narrow Neck fleet a thrill, before bee-lining out and around the corner behind Rangi.

DSC_0698.jpg

DSC_0707.jpg

DSC_0709.jpg

DSC_0712.jpg

DSC_0719.jpg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Some great close up manoeuvres, sailing on the preferred race area.

They look really stable. I saw one fluffed gybe today, otherwise very smooth and clean

18 minutes ago, weta27 said:

What a cracker of a day out there, warm, sunny, flat water and steady breeze.

They put their sails up out in the Channel, then blatted across to give the Narrow Neck fleet a thrill, before bee-lining out and around the corner behind Rangi

Awesome shots!

So Big Jib on today - full hoist. 

@weta27 any ideas as to what TWS they carry the #1 jib to? Can you make any comments as to whether the Mainsail(s) stay the same or if they substitute Light air wardrobe vs Medium and Heavy Air sails at the same time that they change jib?

Keep up the excellent work. Anything to put this forum back on a sailing centric focus........