Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

16 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

^^But history will show we're never there long, Smack. It's what makes us so strong.  ;-)

I always hold out hope that New Zealand is just being shat and spewed upon by the KiWhingersTM here who assure us that the entire country believes what they believe - and that it isn't true. Judging by your own much more reasonable discourse herein, SBD, perhaps theirs is a somewhat smaller pool of sewage and bile than they would have us all believe.

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

. He was offered a position Identified as being crucial and turned it down, which is absolutely fine, but don’t act like a brat and bag the CEO or the team because you didn’t get your way. 

This

• Like 1

We could start a throw-uppage hatred list thread for NZ extremists, just 4ourselves fun. The most recent additions might include the M&C spies, MBIE’s Twyford, Mayor Goff, and that f’ing traitor DB who just invaded.

How soon will IM be on the hit-list? I heard he is an Ozzie? 

And what about that Nanny, does she speak Hungarian?

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

We could start a throw-uppage hatred list thread for NZ extremists, just 4ourselves fun. The most recent additions might include the M&C spies, MBIE’s Twyford, Mayor Goff, and that f’ing traitor who just invaded DB of course.

How soon will IM be on the hit-list? I heard he is an Ozzie? 

YOU

Actually, I think Barfy's avatar would make a fitting icon for New Zealand's next tourism campaign...

Come to Auckland and soak up our bile!

puking_hand_1.thumb.jpg.30aa84813a1b5658

• Like 2

^^ “It’s amazing, it’s a great place to sail. It’s tricky and you need a boat that is very manoeuvrable and able to be controlled.” GD

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Without Dalton, there would be no ETNZ.

Well, hopefully the High Court will send down a righteous verdict and we'll be done with it all.

9 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Well, hopefully the High Court will send down a righteous verdict and we'll be done with it all.

I doubt any sleep is being lost...

1 hour ago, mikenz2 said:

Just 15mins of the team out sailing

Thanks mikenz2, she looks good

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikenz2 said:

Thanks for the update - they're looking pretty comfortable and remain airborne through most manoeuvres.  It'll be interesting to see AM and TNZ sailing in the same water - the first chance to see how they stack up speed and VMGwise  across a range of windspeeds sea states.  

Just to drag this shit out...

Its worth noting that under the leadership of Coutts and Co, Team NZ had a culture of loyalty and mateship. It was very much boys looking after their boys. Rumour had it that when OK sailor (ie non-Olympic) and Dixon tactician was appointed as High Performance director at Yachting NZ, Coutts and his tight five held a minutes silence at a team briefing. They actively maintained a black list and demanded loyalty from their team. 

Coutts and Barker directly benefited from a culture of bullying and non questioning loyalty. 

The irony of course is that when they left the team (in both cases of their own accord), they betrayed the very values they had held up for so long. The Loyal campaign was aimed to cut much deeper than having a go at a few sailors who sold out.

I don’t see any of the same culture in the current team, led by others. Team NZ had a sticker on their AC50 saying “No Wankers”. I don’t think that Dean, Russell and their mates would qualify. 

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

OK sailor (ie non-Olympic) and Dixon tactician. 

^Pete Lester

The General consensus in regards to Coutts and co is that they betrayed their team and their country. The country opened their hearts to that team. We watched them race the Americans. There was champagne breakfasts around the country on the final day. When they won, we welcomed them home as heroes, and celebrated them again as heroes when they defended. Then they left. Now, leaving on it’s own would not have been a problem. But the fact that they came back as largely the same team that won the cup, left Team NZ and were now competing against a severely depleted and still reeling young and inexperienced Team NZ was the kicker. No one saw it coming at the time. Yes Russell handed the helm over to Dean in the last race, but to think Russell and a large portion of critical team members would up and leave suddenly, only to return with a cashed up owner and compete was unthinkable. This is why they say 2003 was “the end of the innocence for Team NZ” 

• Like 2

Love how busy it is.  And that’s winter.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

I'm just looking forward to New Zealand's return to embittered obscurity. You all seem much healthier and happier stewing in your own existential bile.

Looking forward to you giving Rome Kirby a “talking to “ I’m sure your time in Catalina 27s will have him shitting his pants 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Guvacine said:

This is what I find the really saddest thing about the Kiwis - how they eat their own (should say incinerate their own). Dean Barker and Russell Coutts are two of the greatest sailors of the current generation and yet have been burned and disowned by this sad little country. It surprises me that Coutts and Barker have anything to do with NZ at all the way they have been treated.

Coutts got addicted to money.

Barker is a spoilt brat.

Neither are something Kiwi's have a lot of time for.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hawke said:

That's how Peter Burling started out - in Opti's.

ITOMDEMMOZGWDERG5K74JJ7JFQ.jpg

He had the correct head gear even back then.....

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Looks slow here. 

Yep, what a dog! Looks like NZL-32 on foils?

2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Looks slow here. 

Check out the action of the opti's video is slowed down.

3 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Looks slow here. 

Look at the angle and speed of the RS and Laser.. so ETNZ is heading 150 down and 3-4 times windspeed? More?

8 hours ago, mikenz2 said:

I think someone should call the seagull that flys by at 00:20 in for questioning.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

This is why they say 2003 was “the end of the innocence for Team NZ”

And 2020 will be sentencing phase.

4 hours ago, Tropical Madness said:

Look at the angle and speed of the RS and Laser.. so ETNZ is heading 150 down and 3-4 times windspeed? More?

The RC flags, and the rig flip on the board make it look a little bit shallower than that, maybe 130deg, but there is not a lot of wind there... some of the boards are struggling to foil with what look like 8m sails... pretty powered up.  How much are we actually going to see the zeroes out during racing? 

3 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

And 2020 will be sentencing phase.

There’s only one sentence you’ll hear in March. “The America’s Cup is STILL New Zealand’s cup”

21 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

There’s only one sentence you’ll hear in March. “The America’s Cup is STILL New Zealand’s cup”

Heh. Like I said....

2004907690_ScreenShot2020-07-13at1_19_05PM.thumb.png.74e4092835b8332ec3f338fb1ea8f97d.png

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Heh. Like I said....

2004907690_ScreenShot2020-07-13at1_19_05PM.thumb.png.74e4092835b8332ec3f338fb1ea8f97d.png

I don’t always reply to your shit. Only  when I feel like it. You see, my terms, not yours.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Gladwell is a horrible "journalist" - but he can take some nice photos here and there. I'll give him that.

He should quit writing and just stick with the camera.

21 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Gladwell is a horrible "journalist" - but he can take some nice photos here and there. I'll give him that.

He should quit writing and just stick with the camera.

RG’s grammar could use some help at times, lol, but there’s no journo in NZ who knows the Cup and ETNZ better, he deserves credit for that along with his (yes, very good) photography efforts. 

He may also be the best we have for a long while to come, we may as well take all we can get. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

RG’s grammar could use some help at times, lol, but there’s no journo in NZ who knows the Cup and ETNZ better, he deserves credit for that along with his (yes, very good) photography efforts.

He may also be the best we have for a long while to come, we may as well take all we can get. 

The chick on that podcast (Dana?) - is WAY better in virtually every category. If Gladwell is the best NZ sailing journalism can offer - that's pretty sad.

Honestly, I think his is a common problem with sailing journalism today. These guys become so obsessed with "the relationships" and the "insider info" that they become toothless PR shills. That's been my complaint with Ehman as well. It's all just way too incestuous to be believable or even interesting story-telling. "Being on the inside" is more important than being objective.

I guess that's just the problem with the niche/elitist aspect of our sport...especially with the "frat-boy" heritage of the AC. But fewer and fewer people in the general public care about this kind of stuff...and the AC is dying on the vine in terms of public interest as even those journalists in NZ confirm.

That's another reason I think SailGP is going in exactly the right direction...in virtually every way. It's great for the sport. AC (especially this iteration) is not.

On 7/13/2020 at 6:03 AM, Guvacine said:

This is what I find the really saddest thing about the Kiwis - how they eat their own (should say incinerate their own). Dean Barker and Russell Coutts are two of the greatest sailors of the current generation and yet have been burned and disowned by this sad little country. It surprises me that Coutts and Barker have anything to do with NZ at all the way they have been treated.

Getting labeled a "sad little country" by someone from a big dysfunctional country with the most corrupt government in history, who can't even look after their vulnerable people in a pandemic is a compliment. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

The chick on that podcast (Dana?) - is WAY better in virtually every category. If Gladwell is the best NZ sailing journalism can offer - that's pretty sad.

Honestly, I think his is a common problem with sailing journalism today. These guys become so obsessed with "the relationships" and the "insider info" that they become toothless PR shills. That's been my complaint with Ehman as well. It's all just way too incestuous to be believable or even interesting story-telling. "Being on the inside" is more important than being objective.

I guess that's just the problem with the niche/elitist aspect of our sport...especially with the "frat-boy" heritage of the AC. But fewer and fewer people in the general public care about this kind of stuff...and the AC is dying on the vine in terms of public interest as even those journalists in NZ confirm.

That's another reason I think SailGP is going in exactly the right direction...in virtually every way. It's great for the sport. AC (especially this iteration) is not.

There's a hell of lot more to "our sport" than the AC, Smack. 

Just look around SA, for example - or even get out on the water.

11 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

There's a hell of lot more to "our sport" than the AC, Smack. 

Just look around SA, for example - or even get out on the water.

I know that. You know that. I'm talking about the general public. They don't know that...at least when it comes to racing. They do know about it when it comes to cruising (explosion of YT sailing channels over the past few years). And that presents an opportunity that's being missed.

9 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

I know that. You know that. I'm talking about the general public. They don't know that...at least when it comes to racing. They do know about it when it comes to cruising (explosion of YT sailing channels over the past few years). And that presents an opportunity that's being missed.

AC is the pinnacle of sailing in the same way that F1 is the pinnacle of motor racing. It's not always pretty but it is undisputable

3 minutes ago, Indio said:

I wonder if this dispute between ETNZ and CoR "regarding obligations to meet costs connected to media production and the provision
of race management systems for regattas under the Protocol" under their joint contract with Circle-O is behind all the betrayal by Mayo&Calder...

ACAP36 08 - CircleO Dispute Final Order.pdf

Already linked and discussed. See "pound sand".

Keep up Indio.

7 minutes ago, uflux said:

AC is the pinnacle of sailing in the same way that F1 is the pinnacle of motor racing. It's not always pretty but it is undisputable

When these AC75s officially break 50.22 knots while racing - come see me. Until then - no. Not even close.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

When these AC75 officially break 50.22 knots while racing - come see me. Until then - no. Not even close.

So I guess that is why we are all on here talking about the America's cup...mean while on the sailing GP 

05F838F3-CBC5-4783-BA52-8693D6B9D371.jpeg

• Like 3

Yeah that's true. SGP isn't racing right now. It's bummer...for everyone.

Meanwhile, according to your own press, GD seems to be running the America's Cup right down the ethical (perhaps even criminal?) toilet causing even the NZ public to turn against the whole debacle. The fact that you guys are unquestionably screwing this all up so royally on every level is what I'm here to talk about.

I expect that, especially if the AC75’s add even more RM power through negative attack on the rudder foils, they will be able to hit F50 cavitation speeds, they may also go faster than the F50’s upwind. 

But dang, those F50’s are on a great development path too, there’s for sure room for both events. 

1 minute ago, smackdaddy said:

Yeah that's true. SGP isn't racing right now. It's bummer...for everyone.

Meanwhile, according to your own press, GD seems to be running the America's Cup right down the ethical (perhaps even criminal?) toilet causing even the NZ public to turn against the whole debacle. The fact that you guys are unquestionably screwing this all up so royally on every level is what I'm here to talk about.

When trolls lose the argument...they change the subject :rolleyes:

7BE57378-E44F-41FD-B91B-9A2A9F2598F4.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

But dang, those F50’s are on a great development path too, there’s for sure room for both events. 

Agreed. If the AC can get back on an ethical and exciting path - it has some promise.

2 minutes ago, uflux said:

When trolls lose the argument...they change the subject :rolleyes:

7BE57378-E44F-41FD-B91B-9A2A9F2598F4.jpeg

Really? I guess I missed where you were showing me how the AC75s were breaking 50.22 knots to be at the "pinnacle of sailing".

Flux - like Four, you're just too dumb to argue with.

1 minute ago, smackdaddy said:

Really? I guess I missed where you were showing me how the AC75s were breaking 50.22 knots to be at the "pinnacle of sailing".

Flux - like Four, you're just too dumb to argue with.

If speed was the deciding factor. This would be the pinnacle of motorsport...ROCKET CAR YEAH BABY!!!

9FF9564E-5A4A-4D4A-B5F0-8A2B27CC2B77.jpeg

1 minute ago, uflux said:

If speed was the deciding factor. This would be the pinnacle of motorsport...ROCKET CAR YEAH BABY!!!

9FF9564E-5A4A-4D4A-B5F0-8A2B27CC2B77.jpeg

What the hell is that? :D

I think it is pretty safe to say that history is on my side...

B754F451-FE3B-4CD3-9851-8F99D6CC141E.jpeg

D8A2E5F7-1F5E-48EB-BC6C-026D198495CD.jpeg

13776B38-01F7-475B-9242-20B7E59BBD8F.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

What the hell is that? :D

Kiwi ingenuity. You can see echoes of it in Te Ahmed.

3 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Is that all you have Troll?? Lol

3A99BBB4-42E1-44E7-92CE-16FA10F7F072.jpeg

19 hours ago, mikenz2 said:

Told you, they have improved a great deal since the first couple of sails with the re-launch of B1.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

It’s a pity you can’t see anything but a doomed campaign in Airbus French Magic.

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

It’s a pity you can’t see anything but a doomed campaign in Airbus French Magic.

Ah ah, so the US boat is as french as the Emirates one ? :)

15 hours ago, Teaky said:

Love how busy it is.  And that’s winter.

Winter...ha, ha. That ain’t winter, this is frickn winter:

image.jpeg.c5a35decbc8e4715414d4c68d029442d.jpeg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Seriously, back off on the drugs....

10 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Ah ah, so the US boat is as french as the Emirates one ? :)

Is it? I guess you’ll be calling it French Magic then huh? I mean if we’re being consistent.

2 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Winter...ha, ha. That ain’t winter, this is frickn winter:

image.jpeg.c5a35decbc8e4715414d4c68d029442d.jpeg

Maybe a hull able to break ice would need to be introduced to the rules. Might be hard to find a COR :wacko:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Is it? I guess you’ll be calling it French Magic then huh? I mean if we’re being consistent.

Airbus did not design AM as Verdier did. So we call call yours the french boat with emiratis money and kiwi crew, I mean.... for those who are not aussies :)

1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Airbus did not design AM as Verdier did. So we call call yours the french boat with emiratis money and kiwi crew, I mean.... for those who are not aussies :)

It's right there on the sail - NZ is an Emirates Team - not a New Zealand Team.

etnz_splash.jpeg

Now if NZ could just "Fly Better". Heh.

7 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

So Verdier did it all on his own? Just him in his little office all by himself? I guess the rest of the design team did nothing huh? I’d love to be on Bernasconis salary to just do nothing the whole campaign. 
Air bus had nothing to do with the design of AM? Lol okay then. that’s not what Terry Hutchinson said... but hey, what ever floats your boat lol

Just now, smackdaddy said:

It's right there on the sail - NZ is an Emirates Team - not a New Zealand Team.

etnz_splash.jpeg

Now if NZ could just "Fly Better". Heh.

Hey you finally found a splashdown good for you!

FDBB30BA-2B07-4F6A-9365-0734BF879D54.gif

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

So Verdier did it all on his own? Just him in his little office all by himself? I guess the rest of the design team did nothing huh? I’d love to be on Bernasconis salary to just do nothing the whole campaign. 

Why, you obviously get paid for doing nothing where you are at...

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

That's another reason I think SailGP is going in exactly the right direction...in virtually every way.

sorry sail

please attribute quote to the knuckle dragger it belongs to ... ie ..  smalldiddy

but in this case he is correct

the direction is .... its shelved

On 7/13/2020 at 9:17 AM, smackdaddy said:

Raise your glasses to "dry laps"!!!

giphy.gif

Pre-start manoeuvre training. Theyve been doing it alot.

This is what I love about your posts Smack, you always add in the odd comment that shows you know very little about the sport of sailing.

And your feeble attempt at spin is almost as bad as Four's. Keep trying jj.

On 7/13/2020 at 9:17 AM, smackdaddy said:

Raise your glasses to "dry laps"!!!

giphy.gif

HAHAHA I Agrees Car Crashes jokes is so funny Smack!! LOL ROFL :-D
Those prolly Clowns!

31 minutes ago, JJD said:

This is what I love about your posts Smack, you always add in the odd comment that shows you know very little about the sport of sailing.

proof he works for LE

everything is full of bugs

16 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Looks slow here. 

Awesome video of people out enjoying the middle of winter. Wind surfers, Optis, Open Skiff, RS Feva, Laser .... oh and I even spotted an AC75 in the background!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JJD said:

you always add in the odd comment that shows you know very little about the sport of sailing.

That's why he likes the GP. It's targeted at people who nothing about sailing, and its hit the bullseye with Smack - TC as well.

2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

The french and the brit. See Four, there is no kiwi genious doing miracles with small money but foreign design and foreign money.  And the AC is only about design and money, you should know that.

9 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

The french and the brit. See Four, there is no kiwi genious doing miracles with small money but foreign design and foreign money.  And the AC is only about design and money, you should know that.

Desig, money and lawyers, can't forget them.

59 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Blah blah blah. No one cares where the money comes from. It’s irrelevant, like your troll posts lol 

6 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

The problem is what they are now is what they needed to be in Bermuda when it mattered...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

The problem is what they are now is what they needed to be in Bermuda when it mattered...

They didn't know what a fast cat looked like until ETNZ showed up. It was very educational for Russ and Jimmy.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

And your feeble attempt at spin is almost as bad as Four's. Keep trying jj.

Spin is not really my style.

I get a giggle out of all your kiwi smack talk, but totally draw the line at being compared to Four Clarkey. I demand an apology...... :D

FWIW, Ive watched ETNZ do pre start practice. My take is they will be waaaay more interesting and exciting than bermuda.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NZL3481 said:

What they are now is 3 years too late..

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 6:37 PM, Hawke said:

I was referring to their past record/experience.  Somewhere in this long litigation by forum posts someone mentioned issues with VOR.  Also this comment was mad about them following the World Rowing Champs:

But one senior 2010 insider, told of Mayo's new job, said: "The rowing community all feel that if this guy had been put in charge of a business, and got it into that state inside two years, the shareholders and directors would boot him out, because he would've made it insolvent.

"Why is it different in sport? Why does he walk away without any accountability?".....

There were also suggestions organisers missed a prime marketing opportunity by going on a team-building horse-riding exercise on the day that Rowing New Zealand named its team.

The thing that stood out for me was the "surplus" from the AKl Volvo stopover, $200,000.

Not a lot left