Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

Recommended Posts

Smack daddy obviously has too much time on his hands trolling through each video for just the slightest hint of a splashdown lol 

the consequences of an F50 splashdown:images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQShsA9pa7F4yH8DXgZa5V

the consequences of an AC75 splashdown: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEY-lKdJ6GQROMlgXhH6n

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, uflux said:

This thing is on rails!!

If that rounding at 1:20 is anything to go by, we're going to see some fantastic racing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Camera?  It's present in a number of photos.

Annotation 2020-07-15 070219.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The truth is - most non-heavily-edited videos show these crashes. They are certainly not hard to find.

For example, the claim of "dry laps" in that other recent video that was heavily-edited... Where was that "lap" again? Lap of what?

You guys just can't stand facts that fly in the face of your delusions. And I LOVE those things!

Here, let me give you poor,  little insecure things a hug...

Screen_Shot_2020-07-14_at_12_02.51_PM.thumb.png.3ec6d62d923f4ca284b357bdf9cf7611.png

Heh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

The truth is - most non-heavily-edited videos show these crashes. They are certainly not hard to find.

For example, the claim of "dry laps" in that other recent video that was heavily-edited... Where was that "lap" again? Lap of what?

You guys just can't stand facts that fly in the face of your delusions. And I LOVE those things!

Here, let me give you poor,  little insecure things a hug...

Screen_Shot_2020-07-14_at_12_02.51_PM.thumb.png.3ec6d62d923f4ca284b357bdf9cf7611.png

Heh.

Nah we are just enjoying sitting on the beach watching them scream around the harbour. Unless you think we are heavily editing our eyeballs...lol :D

Back to your cave troll 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Boink said:

the D1 is all white and without the in line vibration dampner, previously seen.

Are you sure?

Pics I have suggest that the "white" is just reflection, and I'm sure I can still see a dampener on that "white" D1, the shape of which is almost aligning with the "O" in OMEGA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Camera?  It's present in a number of photos.

Yes, I think so

cameras.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Smack daddy obviously has too much time on his hands trolling through each video for just the slightest hint of a splashdown lol 

the consequences of an F50 splashdown:images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQShsA9pa7F4yH8DXgZa5V

the consequences of an AC75 splashdown: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEY-lKdJ6GQROMlgXhH6n

 

 

You forgot this one:

image.png.aa661c65da8d133eeb1727da1bf29358.png

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

You forgot this one:

image.png.aa661c65da8d133eeb1727da1bf29358.png

 

Ah yes. Good catch. I believe they were "first to 90" in an AC75?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Screen_Shot_2020-07-14_at_10_01.51_AM.thumb.png.6c72ce0a53d53e7353d4abda4d868d5a.png

 

 

ROLFL! These are so the funniest! Do you Have any more crash photos we can see? Boats, airplanes, cars? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to get pretty windy this arvo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^^^

Jeez @uflux what a load of Fake News. How dare you post such claims of smooth and controlled sailing.

There is clearly a Bird in the lower Left corner of the screen that flies but never moves..... The whole video is faked!!!!!!!

I won't tolerate such blatent bullshit. ;)

 

Fake News!!!!!.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caught red handed :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, weta27 said:

Are you sure?

Pics I have suggest that the "white" is just reflection, and I'm sure I can still see a dampener on that "white" D1, the shape of which is almost aligning with the "O" in OMEGA?

No, not sure in the slightest. That's why I was asking yourself or mikenz - both of you look at her a lot more than most, and certainly heaps more than myself.

It was just so starkly white and uniform in colour. I see the dampener that you refer to. Thanks. 

(It is also a classic example of how a still photo can be taken out of context to prove or disprove whatever argument is sought by the poster. I feel I am much more open and even handed in my acceptance of information (akin to Trust but Verify......). Not into the quakery that certain notorious f'wits around here, use to grind their axe.....)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

You forgot this one:

image.png.aa661c65da8d133eeb1727da1bf29358.png

 

All 5 minutes of it lol sailing 5 minutes later lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But unable to right itself as promised...and therefore having to rely on a support boat just like a cat.

Sorry - you lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

gosh i have never seen a yacht ion its side before

does that happen in this sailing thing ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s like it never happened before :blink:

70202725-B8F0-4620-898C-F57AB170DF06.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pushing, pushing ...

Hard, wet work out there today, I am so impressed that they can control her in those conditions.

DSC_0748.jpg

DSC_0767.jpg

DSC_0779.jpg

DSC_0795.jpg

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And another fast pass by North Head at the end, heading for home.

RG will have some spectacular shots, he was even closer than me.

DSC_0806.jpg

DSC_0812.jpg

DSC_0816.jpg

DSC_0824.jpg

DSC_0831.jpg

DSC_0832.jpg

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, weta27 said:

And another fast pass by North Head at the end, heading for home.

RG will have some spectacular shots, he was even closer than me.

DSC_0806.jpg

DSC_0812.jpg

DSC_0816.jpg

DSC_0824.jpg

DSC_0831.jpg

DSC_0832.jpg

Thanks, nice shots.

Ironic however that they banned cats for this flat sea, even during winter condition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Ironic however that they banned cats for this flat sea, even during winter condition.

Obviously you haven’t ever sailed the Waitemata.

4EE3CEA5-ECC3-43F4-9EF5-36EFA496F624.thumb.jpeg.5a969897026a429e47f0d83bc6348dae.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Hawke said:

Hell wouldn't that be fun!  

Crikey there’s a welcome trickle down the no reef required yacht.

Pretty stiff out there this avo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Thanks, nice shots.

Ironic however that they banned cats for this flat sea, even during winter condition.

Very easterly breeze with incoming tide all morning. It doesn’t get flatter than that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Very easterly breeze with incoming tide all morning. It doesn’t get flatter than that. 

You can't cure idiot...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Thanks, nice shots.

Ironic however that they banned cats for this flat sea, even during winter condition.

Please, bring your foiling cat for a 25 knot SW'er and a big incoming tide. We'll bring the beer and popcorn, sit on North Head and enjoy the impending entertainment...

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^Awesome footage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@barfy she overtakes a couple of foiling kite boarders at about 7.30 in that video !

I wonder what the feed back might be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping that in a few years, they use this thing to set a new coastal classic record...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kiwing said:

 she overtakes a couple of foiling kite boarders at about 7.30 in that video !

I wonder what the feed back might be?

The tack just after that at about 7:55 is on rails - from that angle looks like much narrower tacking angle than we've seen in other vids.

I did actually find myself thinking it was disappointing how there are no sail maneuvers at all in that entire clip - first time I'd thought that so far... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to see anyone being better, I just hope people can get to NZ to see it (highly unlikely as Qantas have stopped ALL international flights and others will follow). As Russell predicted a long time ago, make it a TV sport...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

doesnt seem to slow down as much or for as long as the skats do when it tacks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kiwing said:

@barfy she overtakes a couple of foiling kite boarders at about 7.30 in that video !

I wonder what the feed back might be?

Foiling windsurfers...

that’s the new Olympic foiling class kit and going upwind they do approx 18-23 kts, 

Feedback? the boat is faster and higher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, terrafirma said:

 

Thats pretty quickly sorted out.  The recovery mode from a miss on the foils is really interesting, this looks a lot slicker than earlier splahes like Ineos'.

Think they have a quick release on the mainsheet? That thing comes out _fast_. Interesting to see the leech bounce when they land too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where was this taken - is it one of the possible race courses?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RMac said:

Thats pretty quickly sorted out.  The recovery mode from a miss on the foils is really interesting, this looks a lot slicker than earlier splahes like Ineos'.

Think they have a quick release on the mainsheet? That thing comes out _fast_. Interesting to see the leech bounce when they land too. 

At about 0:12 during the gybe the traveller seems to stall slightly whilst moving to the new side - this momentarily pins the mainsail way up to windward on the new port gybe which correlates with the big heel onto the new foil. The main then goes all the way down traveller which is probably a dump valve one or more of the crew have a button for...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Feedback? the boat is faster and higher. 

Is that from the actual sailors? 'Cos the "higher" part isn't evident in the video, the boards look much higher (but slower).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, NZK said:

At about 0:12 during the gybe the traveller seems to stall slightly whilst moving to the new side - this momentarily pins the mainsail way up to windward on the new port gybe which correlates with the big heel onto the new foil. The main then goes all the way down traveller which is probably a dump valve one or more of the crew have a button for...

I seem what you're seeing, that little hitch, but I think they do that in other gybes as well.  Tough to tell what causes this buckup, but the recovery is really impressive, with the little luff, build and bear off.  They look really polished. Whatever their quick ease function was, it comes right back in a hurry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang I thought the boat looks higher and faster that the foils.  The boards don't look like they're totally locked in, and aren't pumping hard, so may not be full performance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RobG said:

Is that from the actual sailors? 'Cos the "higher" part isn't evident in the video, the boards look much higher (but slower).

If I can out point one on a recreational kite foil and a foil kite 

and an AC 72 is slower and lower than the wind foil set up then TNZ is utterly fucked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RMac said:

Dang I thought the boat looks higher and faster that the foils.  The boards don't look like they're totally locked in, and aren't pumping hard, so may not be full performance. 

Why would you be pumping the rig hard when you are fully foiling/ planing, you only pump to get onto the foil or plane.

its this set up https://windsurf.star-board.com/products/iqfoil/

it’s a 9m rig and Foils from 6kts, 

it is comfortably more than 6kts in the video, they are fully powered up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Forourselves said:

All 5 minutes of it lol sailing 5 minutes later lol

This one was foiling sooner....


hey, when you talk sh!t, expect to get it back....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The_Alchemist said:

This one was foiling sooner....


hey, when you talk sh!t, expect to get it back....

Yep... so was this one. By the way, Te Aihe has been smoking it around the course straight out of the box. We’ll see if that other contraption can do the same.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROqlAE9ae2WLymRkQ_pfb

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSopIDq15VZFR2rawxyBNm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, on the Hairwhacky all the old folks are enthralled by the performance of Te Ahmed...right up until....

EasyEnviousAsianelephant-small.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Yep... so was this one. By the way, Te Aihe has been smoking it around the course straight out of the box. We’ll see if that other contraption can do the same.

 

You do know which AC75 was up, foiling and making foiling turns before NZ even got their hull wet?  It is just too easy to pick on you because you put very little true thought into your posts.... ha...ha...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

You do know which AC75 was up, foiling and making foiling turns before NZ even got their hull wet?  It is just too easy to pick on you because you put very little true thought into your posts.... ha...ha...

Four is just a troll and doesn't bring anything. I wonder if we should avoid quoting him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2020 at 9:14 PM, Boink said:

So in this picture from Gladwell's article cited above, the D1 is all white and without the in line vibration dampner, previously seen. - i.e. not in the style of the V1 next to it, (whose dampner is casting a shadow on the mainsail draft stripe - above and to the right of the S in "Emirates")

Cannot recall seeing this before. Testing something new? A solution to needing those dampners? Calling @weta27 or @mikenz - or anyone, any thoughts out there?

yysw289528.jpg

Found these pics from the same pass (taken just a few seconds apart) to show the reflection I was talking about that makes the D1 appear white in the photo above - the thin section creates a nice flat metal surface for the sun to bounce off

D1-D2.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

You do know which AC75 was up, foiling and making foiling turns before NZ even got their hull wet?  It is just too easy to pick on you because you put very little true thought into your posts.... ha...ha...

We never saw any complete manoeuvres in their entirety from AM. Guess we’ll just take your word for it huh? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Four is just a troll and doesn't bring anything. I wonder if we should avoid quoting him.

The Irony of your comment lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3:09 and again at 5:45

when have we ever seen a foiling boat come around the mark and hit a (successful) tack that quickly after rounding?

this got looks to be 2 steps ahead of AC50/F50's

would be interesting to know if the foils are currently being computer-controlled or in the racing condition of manual - guess we will never find out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

this got looks to be 2 steps ahead of AC50/F50's

I was thinking the same, the 75 tacks and gybes with much narrower angles than the cats. Similar to non foiling monos and cats. Upwind in a tacking duel the 75 would destroy an F50.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Forourselves said:

 

Thanks for posting this.

Don't care what Nationality or Team you might be or go for, this is one seriously cool machine, showing pace and poise with party pieces 8 months out from Cup Time......

What's not to like? 

I loved the AC72's for the sheer size and complexity that they brougt to the sport. The AC50's were cool, but their lack of size almost downplayed their achievements - bit like watching G0 Karts. These platforms however have both the prescence and power that is needed. The complexity is clearly there. The timing and choreographing required to make all that look so polished cannot be understated. The capacity to fly into a leeward mark and pull off a perfect rounding folllowed by a bang on tack with spot on pitch and yaw control is not to be taken lightly.

Really sends a message to the other teams that if you can't do this now; then they will punch on, steal their lunch money and kiss their girlfriends in the playground that we call the America's Cup.......

Good things ahead for this Cup Cycle - which according to some here is dead, meaningless and headed elsewhere.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's early to be asking this question but who do we think has a chance of beating ETNZ when we only have 3 challengers? I still think one of these challengers will be a way off the pace. I also know we haven't seen B2's yet so I guess I'm asking which team do you think has the design competence to beat the Kiwis at their own game? So 2 of the boats began life without bustle's? The Kiwi's started with a bustle. The Italian's seem to have the fastest B1 not without it's problems off course but typically the Italian's beat themselves. The Poms are run by Grant Simmer who whilst experienced is the man who last lost the cup? That leaves the USA who will be driven by the man who lost the cup too? There isn't one challenger I believe is closer than 50:1 for my money that has a real chance in beating the Kiwi's? Am I too early and should we wait until B2's are out on the water?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luna Rossa has got some out of the box ideas. I think they are dangerous. We also have to remember that the challenger series is going to push the bar up for the challengers as a whole. But yeah my money is on ETNZ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I know it's early to be asking this question but who do we think has a chance of beating ETNZ when we only have 3 challengers? I still think one of these challengers will be a way off the pace. I also know we haven't seen B2's yet so I guess I'm asking which team do you think has the design competence to beat the Kiwis at their own game? So 2 of the boats began life without bustle's? The Kiwi's started with a bustle. The Italian's seem to have the fastest B1 not without it's problems off course but typically the Italian's beat themselves. The Poms are run by Grant Simmer who whilst experienced is the man who last lost the cup? That leaves the USA who will be driven by the man who lost the cup too? There isn't one challenger I believe is closer than 50:1 for my money that has a real chance in beating the Kiwi's? Am I too early and should we wait until B2's are out on the water?

Far too early, Terra. We haven't even seen these guys line up against each other. So far it's, 'they look fast'. At least let's see what happens in the Christmas Regatta. Also B2's will surely show some design convergence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I know it's early to be asking this question but who do we think has a chance of beating ETNZ when we only have 3 challengers? I still think one of these challengers will be a way off the pace. I also know we haven't seen B2's yet so I guess I'm asking which team do you think has the design competence to beat the Kiwis at their own game? So 2 of the boats began life without bustle's? The Kiwi's started with a bustle. The Italian's seem to have the fastest B1 not without it's problems off course but typically the Italian's beat themselves. The Poms are run by Grant Simmer who whilst experienced is the man who last lost the cup? That leaves the USA who will be driven by the man who lost the cup too? There isn't one challenger I believe is closer than 50:1 for my money that has a real chance in beating the Kiwi's? Am I too early and should we wait until B2's are out on the water?

Too early and you are too much of a fanboi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad they could find more protected waters.

RG:

"Sailing on Course D between Rangitoto and Browns Island, winds were averaging 18kts peaking at 23kts - measured at Northern Leading beacon - which suffers the least interference, and is one of the lowest height of the three weather stations in the area. The conditions are close to the top end for racing in the Prada Cup Finals and America's Cup Match, but above those for the Prada Cup during the Round Robin and Repechage phase.

It was the Waitemata/inner Hauraki Gulf at its most miserable, with a cold wind south of east, overcast skies with low cloud and sweeping light rain showers, topped off by an awkward chop - which made for some spectacular splashdowns/ foil-strikes with spray being thrown high on occasions.

The chop appeared to be too much for the AC75 as it entered the passage between Motuihe and Browns Islands, with Te Aihe digging into a couple of big ones, before easing off and heading for more protected water in the lee of Browns Island."

https://www.sail-world.com/news/230168/Americas-Cup-Te-Aihe--Riders-on-the-storm

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2020 at 11:58 PM, uflux said:

This thing is on rails!!

Best video since resumption of training

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lickindip said:

3:09 and again at 5:45

when have we ever seen a foiling boat come around the mark and hit a (successful) tack that quickly after rounding?

this got looks to be 2 steps ahead of AC50/F50's

would be interesting to know if the foils are currently being computer-controlled or in the racing condition of manual - guess we will never find out

Also, its pretty close to that mark and passes it in 1 second approx. do the maths, it's fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Hawke said:

SO who decides which course to race on?  

I thought you knew it all?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I am glad they could find more protected waters.

RG:

"Sailing on Course D between Rangitoto and Browns Island, winds were averaging 18kts peaking at 23kts - measured at Northern Leading beacon - which suffers the least interference, and is one of the lowest height of the three weather stations in the area. The conditions are close to the top end for racing in the Prada Cup Finals and America's Cup Match, but above those for the Prada Cup during the Round Robin and Repechage phase.

It was the Waitemata/inner Hauraki Gulf at its most miserable, with a cold wind south of east, overcast skies with low cloud and sweeping light rain showers, topped off by an awkward chop - which made for some spectacular splashdowns/ foil-strikes with spray being thrown high on occasions.

The chop appeared to be too much for the AC75 as it entered the passage between Motuihe and Browns Islands, with Te Aihe digging into a couple of big ones, before easing off and heading for more protected water in the lee of Browns Island."

https://www.sail-world.com/news/230168/Americas-Cup-Te-Aihe--Riders-on-the-storm

 

Only took you two years to finally concede GD was right about the conditions...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, trt131 said:

Too early and you are too much of a fanboi.

No fanboy just realistic of their abilities. I would love to see someone else win, problem is I can't? Help me I need help..? Someone get off the farkin fence.! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Far too early, Terra. We haven't even seen these guys line up against each other. So far it's, 'they look fast'. At least let's see what happens in the Christmas Regatta. Also B2's will surely show some design convergence. 

So you don't have a gut feeling SBD? You gotta give me somethin....:huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another great vid of Te Aihe. Interesting that the top third of the main looks way more open than the bottom top thirds. You see this especially in the head on shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Another great vid of Te Aihe. Interesting that the top third of the main looks way more open than the bottom top thirds. You see this especially in the head on shots.

Oh really?

Who would have thought?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, astro said:

Oh really?

Who would have thought?

The speed at which GA dumps, and sheets on in the splash sequence is truly amazing.  The fact that grinders are enabling that is a testament to how far the hydro has been developed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

So you don't have a gut feeling SBD? You gotta give me somethin....:huh:

As I said before,deono will be shedding a quiet tear thinking "as long as I try hard and loose I'll be sweet". 

Suh Ben's wife will be drafting the "dear husband" letter.

Spitty will be saying "com'on boys here we go, it's come back time' , carefully practiced in Italian.

Meanwhile, etnz just keeps sailing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Only took you two years to finally concede GD was right about the conditions...

Wrong as usual, it took you two years to accept that the boat is not safe for the conditions it was designed for, while capsizing in less than ten knots.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Wrong as usual, it took you two years to accept that the boat is not safe for the conditions it was designed for, while capsizing in less than ten knots.

Do Not confuse boat handling errors with making false claims about the overall suitability or safety of the design/class of boat.

Capsizes and stacks will probably infrequently happen. They are extreme high performance boats which need to be handled appropriately. The footage and shots of last few days in no way supports anything that you are suggesting is correct. In the few instances of issue, no crew has been reported as injured. 

You have been a naysayer about this class since its inception. When will you give it up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Wrong as usual, it took you two years to accept that the boat is not safe for the conditions it was designed for, while capsizing in less than ten knots.

The cats flipped too, sometimes with disastrous consequences.  While a valid criticism would be that no one has demonstrated the ability to self right these thigns, which was probably overselling it a bit anyway,  they're going well and a lot more reliable than many skeptics (like meself) thought they'd be. 

We've seen as many design/build breaks as we have capsizes, that's not too bad. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 11:09 AM, weta27 said:

A couple more from this afternoon

DSC_0814.jpg

DSC_0842.jpg

I really like it when the stills look as fast as the video footage!

Impressive machine, no doubt about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Wrong as usual, it took you two years to accept that the boat is not safe for the conditions it was designed for, while capsizing in less than ten knots.

This.

Add to that the inability to self-right - it's fatal flaw in terms of racing as a "monohull".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boink said:

Do Not confuse boat handling errors with making false claims about the overall suitability or safety of the design/class of boat.

Capsizes and stacks will probably infrequently happen. They are extreme high performance boats which need to be handled appropriately. The footage and shots of last few days in no way supports anything that you are suggesting is correct. In the few instances of issue, no crew has been reported as injured. 

You have been a naysayer about this class since its inception. When will you give it up?

I was skeptic when the announced it would be a mono, enthousiast when they said they chose the most extreme version, disappointed when I saw that they were inherently unstable because of their ballasted foils. As a sailor a good boat is a boat with some basic stability.

This could have been the perfect boat if stable, two solutions for that

1) the first Verdier version, with a small center weight or keel, but it is true it would have been slower

2) conceived like a trimaran with longer foil arms for same RM with less weight and small floats for safety. This, IMO, may represent the future of the boat. But we would have a boat looking like the hydroptere with different foils.

We would comeback to the old competition between tris and cats.

Anyway, it will be interesting to watch the AC75 compete and their sailing envelope in a race.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I was skeptic when the announced it would be a mono, enthousiast when they said they chose the most extreme version, disappointed when I saw that they were inherently unstable because of their ballasted foils. As a sailor a good boat is a boat with some basic stability.

This could have been the perfect boat if stable, two solutions for that

1) the first Verdier version, with a small center weight or keel, but it is true it would have been slower

2) conceived like a trimaran with longer foil arms for same RM with less weight and small floats for safety. This, IMO, may represent the future of the boat. But we would have a boat looking like the hydroptere with different foils.

We would comeback to the old competition between tris and cats.

Anyway, it will be interesting to watch the AC75 compete and their sailing envelope in a race.

 

 

Who cares if they’re inherently unstable? It just makes them harder to sail. That’s what the sailors relish... a challenge. This isn’t a cruising contest, it’s the AC. This isn’t about inherent instability, it’s about the fact that you wanted the cats, and didn’t get them. Now you’re looking for every excuse under the sun to support your opinion that the cats were the better option, which they clearly aren’t. And that is clearly evident. The AC50 flew apart in conditions that Te Aihe has been sailing in. Only one boat has capsized and was Immediately righted and continued sailing where we’ve seen with the both the AC50 and the F50 that once you capsize it’s either back to the dock for repairs or nurse the boat around the course with damage. The AC75 has so far proved to be far more reliable at “staying dry” than the F50 has been, and suits the AC better because of its scale. The cats have come and gone. What we have now is a far more suitable concept for Auckland conditions. So enough with the inherent instability argument because the F50s are more unstable than the AC75.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Only our boat has capsized and could then only be righted with outside assistance - because:

1. We obviously can't sail the thing very well; and,

2. We couldn't figure out how to deliver what was promised in our much-hyped ridiculous design..

Now it's a bit more accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Who cares if they’re inherently unstable? It just makes them harder to sail. That’s what the sailors relish... a challenge. This isn’t a cruising contest, it’s the AC. This isn’t about inherent instability, it’s about the fact that you wanted the cats, and didn’t get them. Now you’re looking for every excuse under the sun to support your opinion that the cats were the better option, which they clearly aren’t. And that is clearly evident. The AC50 flew apart in conditions that Te Aihe has been sailing in. Only one boat has capsized and was Immediately righted and continued sailing where we’ve seen with the both the AC50 and the F50 that once you capsize it’s either back to the dock for repairs or nurse the boat around the course with damage. The AC75 has so far proved to be far more reliable at “staying dry” than the F50 has been, and suits the AC better because of its scale. The cats have come and gone. What we have now is a far more suitable concept for Auckland conditions. So enough with the inherent instability argument because the F50s are more unstable than the AC75.

Not to get in the middle of you two, but it would be fair to point out a few things. It's reasonable to assume that an AC50/F50 would be able to resume sailing after a capsize if it had a soft sail. The wing sails seem to take the most damage from the capsize. Other damage did occur but seemed more superficial, fairings, film, etc.. So I would attribute the AC75's ability to continue sailing more to the rig and sail choice and to the lack of exposed fairings. As far as "The F50s are more unstable than the AC75" is concerned- The AC75 would tip over at the dock without the right precautions. It would be hard-to-impossible to reasonably compare their stability in the context you're suggesting until after the AC75's have been used in an actual regatta and the teams are put into boat handling situations outside of their practiced maneuvers sailing around the course by themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites