Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

^ Well, it's getting closer just like Xmas!!! Half hour more daylight already, PB mentioned "couple months" for b2. They will certainly have to shelf te aihe then. But maybe we'll see little hawk doing runs with crazy foil testing as everyone else has come close to shooting their foil load and there will be no time to xerox, a lesson well ingrained for this team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hemi said:

These shots really show how elegant, clean and un-fussy this foiling mono concept is compared to the cats. Thanks for sharing!

As long as you can ignore the ugly foil sticking out like some demented leg. They may be as fast as shit off a shovel, but elegant they are not.

• Like 1

^ Not uglier than IMOCA60 deck spreaders, V2 dali foils and reaching struts - just different.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

^ Not uglier than IMOCA60 deck spreaders, V2 dali foils and reaching struts - just different

Agree, but still far from elegant.

3 hours ago, mikenz2 said:

I've just sent off my letter to Santa, a fair bit earlier this year. Already know what I want. That's so fucking cool.

• Like 3

elegant
/ˈɛlɪɡ(ə)nt/
adjective
1.graceful and stylish in appearance or manner.

I think both boats easily fit the definition.

1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:
elegant
/ˈɛlɪɡ(ə)nt/
adjective

Weapons of competition destruction.

Elegant in their execution.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 10:46 PM, Stingray~ said:

No need to since SailGP records and displays “accurate speeds” and more, in great abundance! 

As to the expressed worries about informed AC75 speed guesses posted here being any concern to teams, get real: The teams have so much on each other that, as we have heard them explain, they can and do even run their competitors’ boats in simulators.  

I've been on the road a lot, and listening to Shirley Robertson's podcasts which are truly excellent.  In speaking with several of the AC sailors though, some interesting bits emerged, which as always should be served salty, but are interesting:

This AC allows for less technological spying, they're essentially allowed video, whereas last time they were using lasers to gather data.

In the 2013 AC, Oracle had all that and still had the projections wrong, either through tech or NZ sandbagging, as they thought their (OR) upwind was better and downwind was worse compared to NZ at first. 

The disjointed nature of teams missing so much time would make me guess that there's less certainty than ever about who's doing what, barring what must surely be consensus that Ineos looks like dogshit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RMac said:

I've been on the road a lot, and listening to Shirley Robertson's podcasts which are truly excellent.  In speaking with several of the AC sailors though, some interesting bits emerged, which as always should be served salty, but are interesting:

This AC allows for less technological spying, they're essentially allowed video, whereas last time they were using lasers to gather data.

In the 2013 AC, Oracle had all that and still had the projections wrong, either through tech or NZ sandbagging, as they thought their (OR) upwind was better and downwind was worse compared to NZ at first. 

The disjointed nature of teams missing so much time would make me guess that there's less certainty than ever about who's doing what, barring what must surely be consensus that PRADA if the boat doesn't break is freakishly fast in all conditions despite the smallest foil set up and very able,  and pose bigger threat than the kiwis, but hey what do Americans know..

fixed it for you .

32 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Well despite being from the US I do agree with you on that, but really can't get ever get past how hideous Ineos is...

One of the other takeaways from talking to sailors like Ainlie, Spithill and designers from all teams is that at least some of the flight control some of the time is being done by computer.  Sadly we'll never know who and when, but if LR is flying like that on small foils in their race mode they would seem to have a low drag fast boat.  

For my own mostly aesthetic rankings I'd say is LR, Te Aihe, Te Kahu, Defiant. 

B1 boats don’t mean shit when it comes to the racing, certainly the asthetics  of them don’t.

its what’s inside that counts, and Prada have a lot going on with very very good numbers, (from teams that have looked at them) not freeze frame vids ;-) 

yep some of the flight currently is on computer but that doesn’t get you up and moving, it might help keep you there but if they can get up and have good speed without having the massive foil penalty then they are going to be at the pointy end of things when B2 gets to the start line. 

the fun will be watching all the teams pretending not to line up with each other when they are all in NZ. Or TNZ will cry foul.

they just have to put up with the little boat from NZ doing what it likes as it’s exempt.. loophole perchance? 

Oh and I am not from the US. I was told by an American. 

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

B1 boats don’t mean shit when it comes to the racing, certainly the asthetics  of them don’t.

Thou shalt not forget NZL32.

• Like 1

It is interesting to see the small boat with two symmetrical, dihedral, bulbed foils like all of the other teams.  In fact, the one close up picture looked a lot like the AM Defiant foils.

Team NZ was correct when they said that one of the main reasons for launching the test boat was that they were behind with "on the water" experience.  

The foil progress has basically been the same for all of the teams and has taken place on their test boats.  First they start out with one dihedral and one T foil, then they switch to two dihedral bulbed foils, then they add some curl on the ends.  Very little of that testing can be done on B1 because of the foil count restraints.  

It was an interesting comment by Peter in that last video about how much maneuverable the smaller boat is than the big boat (much lighter, smaller, livelier, nimble, you can just throw it around).  I get the feeling that after spending so much time on the smaller boat that he thinks the big boat is a dog.  

You never know, NZ B2 may be the boat with the most change versus their B1.

24 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

I get the feeling that after spending so much time on the smaller boat that he thinks the big boat is a dog.  

Ha ha ha! 

Either that or it’s “lighter and smaller” making it “livelier and more nimble”?

1 hour ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Ha ha ha! 

Either that or it’s “lighter and smaller” making it “livelier and more nimble”?

Counterpoint: what if it's not as big, therefore smaller?

Another thing to consider is that they didn't have to build Kahu to any sort of rules (besides "don't make an AC75") so it is probably more automated, and probably has less design restrictions.  

Wouldn't it be cool if the little boat led to a new class?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Yes!

I mean, If NZ somehow lose the cup they could make a bunch of these, call it, I dunno, the Formula39... and you could race a bunch of 'em and call it... Grand Prix Sail!

(I really do think it would be cool, kidding aside)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RMac said:

I mean, If NZ somehow lose the cup ...

Somehow? Har har. Omens abound.  And I’ve heard great things about B2’s hula

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RMac said:

I mean, If NZ somehow lose the cup they could make a bunch of these, call it, I dunno, the Formula39... and you could race a bunch of 'em and call it... Grand Prix Sail!

(I really do think it would be cool, kidding aside)

Or they can can use Te Kahus in a new annual ACWS-YouthAC double-header in-between the next AC cycle.

17 hours ago, Hemi said:

These shots really show how elegant, clean and un-fussy this foiling mono concept is compared to the cats. Thanks for sharing!

All it takes is tens of millions of dollars, lots of electronics, battery powered and computer controlled everything, world class sailors, large onshore facility plus a large chase boat and crew just to get out of the harbour.

Unfussy as hell.

1 hour ago, RMac said:

Yes, a good concept, but where's the Larry? And where are the fans?

I think the 18 footers were far more exciting to watch and where are they now? It will end up pretty much the same place as SailGP: beholden to a wealthy benefactor paying for boats and crews. SuperFoiler Grand Prix anyone?

6 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

the fun will be watching all the teams pretending not to line up with each other when they are all in NZ. Or TNZ will cry foul.

In some ways ETNZ probably would like that as they'd get some pretty good data out of it too. It would be a pretty big distraction for teams to be anywhere near each other.

6 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

they just have to put up with the little boat from NZ doing what it likes as it’s exempt.. loophole perchance? 

All teams can sail their little boats where and whenever they want (they can even have as many as they like).

29 minutes ago, RobG said:

All it takes is tens of millions of dollars, lots of electronics, battery powered and computer controlled everything, world class sailors, large onshore facility plus a large chase boat and crew just to get out of the harbour.

Unfussy as hell.

Yes, a good concept, but where's the Larry? And where are the fans?

I think the 18 footers were far more exciting to watch and where are they now? It will end up pretty much the same place as SailGP: beholden to a wealthy benefactor paying for boats and crews. SuperFoiler Grand Prix anyone?

I guess it’s possible that there will be appeal enough for ‘a Larry’ (maybe even that Larry) to go with building a fleet of Kahus, just to support cutting-edge sailing?

The Protocol is so loosely-worded that it’s inevitable we will see boats lining up at times, starting with Defiant and Te A. 

11 hours ago, Horn Rock said:
elegant
/ˈɛlɪɡ(ə)nt/
adjective

If you really think the boats are graceful and stylish then I would have to thank you for giving the ugly girls a chance of a shag. :P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RobG said:

All teams can sail their little boats where and whenever they want (they can even have as many as they like).

They may even be busy building them as we speak...but I imagine everyone's busy with b2 atm.

2 hours ago, RMac said:

Ain't gonna happen for far too many reasons to count.

The only trickledown you'll see out of this AC is maybe from the AC9F - which is actually a rip off of the 69F. So, all said, zero trickledown - just copying.

40 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Ain't gonna happen for far too many reasons to count.

Pete, Glenn and Blair obviously enjoy it; they might want one of their own?

34 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Pete, Glenn and Blair obviously enjoy it; they might want one of their own?

I think they'll have one.

So who bought The Mule? Or is it still sitting under a tarp in FL?

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

I think they'll have one.

So who bought The Mule? Or is it still sitting under a tarp in FL?

I thought ENTZ was the only one with one of these small boats?

21 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

ENTZ is the last one with one of these small boats. It's just their fans are so ignorant they think they are the first.

Fixed.

38 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

I thought ENTZ was the only one with one of these small boats?

The New York Yacht Club have made the most out of their testing programme in Florida where they have had their scaled-down America's Cup boat flying.Dean Barker at the helm of American Magic's foiling monohull test boat ahead of the 2021 America's Cup.

Launched around November 2018...

5 hours ago, RMac said:

Counterpoint: what if it's not as big, therefore smaller?

Another thing to consider is that they didn't have to build Kahu to any sort of rules (besides "don't make an AC75") so it is probably more automated, and probably has less design restrictions.  

The little boat has a much better future in trickle down than the big boat.

1 hour ago, Hawke said:

Makes you wonder why they are so far behind.

The rudimentary nature of their first set of foils on the Mule gives a hint to that. In fairness to them, the Mule was their first dive into foiling boats, and it matured into something pretty useful. Who wouldn't like to see the Mule go up against Te Kahu?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gissie said:

If you really think the boats are graceful and stylish then I would have to thank you for giving the ugly girls a chance of a shag. :P

Setting aside the inherent misogyny and sexism in that comment, you'll be happy to learn that your sentiments align with the idiots on this board - the douche from Texas, the angry French Canadian, and that other bloke who stuck his fork in it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hawke said:

Makes you wonder why they are so far behind.

Based on what metric? To be ahead you have to have done something first, TNZ launched both their boats well after team merica were on the water. So not really sure what your driving at? 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

The rudimentary nature of their first set of foils on the Mule gives a hint to that. In fairness to them, the Mule was their first dive into foiling boats, and it matured into something pretty useful. Who wouldn't like to see the Mule go up against Te Kahu?

Those straight bulbless foils, 

they look awfully familiar to one attached to a kiwiB1? Rudimentary?When everyone else is bulbed and they are now testing bulbs on little kiwi Maybe not EVERYTHING on B1 is as cutting edge as first thought/spun? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

The little boat has a much better future in trickle down than the big boat.

The little boat is trickle down from the big boat. It only exists because the big boat was conceived, therefor any trickle down from the little boat has to be attributed to the big boat. 

10 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Those straight bulbless foils, 

The Mules first foils looked like 60s era surfboards. Nothing on Te Aihe has remotely resembled them.

25 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

To be ahead you have to have done something first,

Winning the last cup in a foiling boat would give them a knowledge base unavailable to AM.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

The Mules first foils looked like 60s era surfboards. Nothing on Te Aihe has remotely resembled them.

Other than being flat and bulbless?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Horn Rock said:

Winning the last cup in a foiling boat would give them a knowledge base unavailable to AM.

Then anyone that had foiled would be AHEAD of all the teams..? 

The chat was about the small boats, Hawke, Was commenting on that and the utterly unknown competitiveness of the US program. Some call it being an arrogant kiwi, or just being a dick as I don’t believe he represents the best kind of kiwi 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

That's a laugh. Word I had from the kite folk that occasionally line up is te kahu started off slow, then achieved light wind angles beyond te aihe in short order. As I mentioned previously. Of course all spies will know the show as well, but it's not flat line speed, it's angles.

The mule would be left in the dust.

3 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Based on what metric? To be ahead you have to have done something first, TNZ launched both their boats well after team merica were on the water. So not really sure what your driving at? 

I’m also looking forward to competitive footage, hopefully within the next few weeks. 

Which makes you wonder, Te Kahu may also mean it takes longer to see the boats (not) line up. Can Te Kahu line up against NYYC?

Protocol:

15. SAILING WITH OTHER COMPETITORS.
15.1. There shall be no sailing or testing of AC75 Class Yachts in a coordinated manner with other Competitors 

Test boat vs test boat, no worries. Test boat vs AC75, open to interpretation. But why? Only the team sailing the little boat will learn anything useful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Setting aside the inherent misogyny and sexism in that comment, you'll be happy to learn that your sentiments align with the idiots on this board - the douche from Texas, the angry French Canadian, and that other bloke who stuck his fork in it.

Apologies, thank you for having such bad judgement in beauty that you would take one for the team and shag the unwanted male/female/unsure person so your friend could hit on the good looking person.

8 minutes ago, RobG said:

Only the team sailing the little boat will learn anything useful.

Uh huh. 

8 minutes ago, RobG said:

Protocol:

15. SAILING WITH OTHER COMPETITORS.
15.1. There shall be no sailing or testing of AC75 Class Yachts in a coordinated manner with other Competitors 

Test boat vs test boat, no worries. Test boat vs AC75, open to interpretation. But why? Only the team sailing the little boat will learn anything useful.

It may be good humour seeing te kahu lap AM. 

As I always say about landfall, it gets clearer as you get closer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Apologies, thank you for having such bad judgement in beauty that you would take one for the team and shag the unwanted male/female/unsure person so your friend could hit on the good looking person.

Mate, it was a weak analogy the first time, and believe me, it's not getting any funnier.

• Like 2

Plumber required. Start immediately it says, and by the way, we need you in the warehouse as well. One assumes their existing plumber is stuck in the "constrained areas of the vessels". https://www.seek.co.nz/job/50271920?_ga=2.254148362.389437875.1595364699-1301122441.1541533237&fbclid=IwAR0lNFO0R6E5fHGiegfASSuDbZfkrbm5kANoPn4BF5O1JEeYFcwqHHobsYk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gissie said:

Good looking one has herpes. But no worries. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Good looking one has herpes. But no worries. 

Easier to take the drugs than face the ribbing from friends for decades...

11 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Mate, it was a weak analogy the first time, and believe me, it's not getting any funnier.

The weak thing was calling these boats elegant. From some angles, always from the side with the foil down and the raised one being the main, they could possibly be elegant. Once that big foil, hanging aimlessly in the air like a spare prick at a wedding, comes into view all ideas of elegance vanish.

Amazing, fast, slick, beast... So many adjectives that apply, but elegant? Nah.

A bit like describing the, Millennium Falcon as, "a piece of space junk'.  ;-)

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

"a piece of space junk'.

She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

• Like 2

Media vs ETNZ Court ruling :  Decision has been made..... 

1 hour ago, WakaNZ said:

Media vs ETNZ Court ruling :  Decision has been made..... 

And .....

1 hour ago, Hawke said:

Waiting......

Still waiting. 

13 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Still waiting. 

Same. Waiting for the court to post the outcome online. I’ll admit, I was not expecting it to take overnight. 

Very early start this morning ... Te Kahu up with the sparrows and on the water

4 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

The little daugther seems fast and nimble, what about the fat dog ?

Its been in the shed for the last 3 weeks lol

Te Kāhu sailed out this morning, they were throwing it around a bit in the inner harbour on the way.

• Like 8

Te Kāhu is done for the day and heading back under tow.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Te Kāhu is done for the day and heading back under tow.

Smokin'.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Its been in the shed for the last 3 weeks lol

The pregnant dog is delivering the bustle ?

23 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

The pregnant dog is delivering the bustle ?

The pregnant dog finally dragged her ass out of the shed this morning. I hope it delivers something cos it’s sure as hell not delivering the AC. The first thing they should be worried about is the AC9F blowing past them lol

9 hours ago, WakaNZ said:

Same. Waiting for the court to post the outcome online. I’ll admit, I was not expecting it to take overnight. 

What happened......................

1 minute ago, thetruth said:

Lies?

1 hour ago, thetruth said:

There's not even the whiff of a hint at the NZ Herald so I'm guessing it didn't go very well for the media..or at least NZH.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 5:10 AM, The_Alchemist said:

It is interesting to see the small boat with two symmetrical, dihedral, bulbed foils like all of the other teams.  In fact, the one close up picture looked a lot like the AM Defiant foils.

Team NZ was correct when they said that one of the main reasons for launching the test boat was that they were behind with "on the water" experience.  

The foil progress has basically been the same for all of the teams and has taken place on their test boats.  First they start out with one dihedral and one T foil, then they switch to two dihedral bulbed foils, then they add some curl on the ends.  Very little of that testing can be done on B1 because of the foil count restraints.  

It was an interesting comment by Peter in that last video about how much maneuverable the smaller boat is than the big boat (much lighter, smaller, livelier, nimble, you can just throw it around).  I get the feeling that after spending so much time on the smaller boat that he thinks the big boat is a dog.  

It’s not to say that once B2 is verified for its performance against the modelling, B1 doesn’t go back into the shed for 25% of changes...

On 7/22/2020 at 7:10 AM, The_Alchemist said:

Just by looking at her, no one with half a brain would think B1 is a dog. Smaller, lighter, and more nimble, that’s simply what is meant by the comment. There is no hidden meaning. Te Aihe is bigger, heavier, requires much more co ordination and simply can’t just be “thrown around” like  Te Kahu can. They can configure Te Kahu however they like. Auto, semi auto, or manual. Secondly, the advantage ETNZ now has, is they can react and test configurations of their own, as well as other teams foil shapes on their own test boat without foil number constraints while at the same time assessing and evaluating each configuration and its effectiveness. The test boat may just prove to be the deciding factor in this cycle. 

On 7/22/2020 at 7:10 AM, The_Alchemist said:

They're gonna be thrilled that you assert "they are correct". Like I was correct when I say only a fool tows a dingy across one of the great Lakes. But my assertion has more weight in hindsight whereas yours is ShitTalk.

2 hours ago, Indio said:

There's not even the whiff of a hint at the NZ Herald so I'm guessing it didn't go very well for the media..or at least NZH.

They were sure firing broadsides when they got gagged. Don't really want the idiot media fighting for the next six months, hope they can make up and get on with the job at hand.

• Like 1

At least we’re not talking about some stupid GD arguing with GD conversation anymore. 

12 hours ago, barfy said:

They were sure firing broadsides when they got gagged. Don't really want the idiot media fighting for the next six months, hope they can make up and get on with the job at hand.

The Herald are a bunch of right wing assholes that beat up anything they can get their slimy ears into. Those assholes would be happy to kill off the AC to gain ratings. I was a subscriber until a couple of weeks ago, now their rag is nothing but fish and chip paper to me. 

They think they're some mini Fox News of New Zealand, but in reality, they're a bunch of washed up pimps with saggy assed hookers for journalists.

There is no honor nor integrity in journalism any longer. The truth, is harder to find these days and our long time sources of such have been reduced to opinion rather than fair and balanced reporting.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

The Herald are a bunch of right wing assholes that beat up anything they can get their slimy ears into. Those assholes would be happy to kill off the AC to gain ratings. I was a subscriber until a couple of weeks ago, now their rag is nothing but fish and chip paper to me. 

They think they're some mini Fox News of New Zealand, but in reality, they're a bunch of washed up pimps with saggy assed hookers for journalists.

There is no honor nor integrity in journalism any longer. The truth, is harder to find these days and our long time sources of such have been reduced to opinion rather than fair and balanced reporting.

Interesting as I think they are bunch of leftie arseholes, all about your own perspective I guess.

• Like 4

Not to me it ain't. 

The Herald is Right AF according to my politics. It's truly subjective. 

By American standards, the Herald would be so far left they'd be labeled communists.

But this ain't Trump country, this is a free country.

If the gag continues - that's a bad sign for GD. It usually means they have indeed found something and want to protect the investigation.

We'll see. But it's not looking good.

23 minutes ago, Groucho Marx said:

The far right Herald is "left" - you exist in beyond weird la la land?

He’s right in some senses, the Herald is so incoherent that no one knows what they stand for. 

17 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Maybe the fabled "Fake News".

Ha... seen a fair smack of crap posted here, don’t think privileged information is best shared on a forum. Lawyers are earning their keep these last 48 hours hat for sure. 

3 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

Right on the button there salty!

A chillingly accurate summation of the NZHerald and journalism(not) in New Zealand

apart from refusing to give them any clicks , not sure what else we can do about it

I have no idea about who at the NZ Herald May be ‘right wing’ or ‘left wing’ or ‘NZ wing’ or ‘bat winged’ but since they got leaked a report about possible mismanagement of taxpayer funds, a report that had even led Wellington to freeze further funds until it all gets sorted, well it doesn’t take much ‘wing’ to report that news. It’s tax money, which for sure makes it newsworthy no matter your wings. 

2 minutes ago, breezie said:

Right on the button there salty!

A chillingly accurate summation of the NZHerald and journalism(not) in New Zealand

apart from refusing to give them any clicks , not sure what else we can do about it

There are some in NZ still working hard on decent journalism. Newsroom seems to be alright...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

If the gag continues - that's a bad sign for GD. It usually means they have indeed found something and want to protect the investigation.

We'll see. But it's not looking good.

This is the most twisted take on what the ongoing gag order represents.

The NZH want to report their version of events, for whatever motivation they hold. They claim that the public/NZ population has a need or right to know.

The Organisers have petitioned that the story be non reportable. This could be for any number of reasons. (Mostly speculated by the tin hat wearing teaspoon comspiracists who feel that any attempt to destabilise the host country, will help assist to pry the Cup from their undeserving fingers.......)

The judge has decided that in the balance of competing issues, the story is not of merit to be published by the NZH.

The only loser in the current situation is NZH. Depending on the final washup, GD would be sitting right now, feeling anything from vindicated, to utterly smug. But certainly not negatively impacted or "bad"..... 

But spin that into the next edition of #Clown Pa Fake News (a.k.a Teaspoon Times) 

• Like 3