Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

14 hours ago, meanermachine said:

The boat buy seems like bullshit tbh. I don't think it would be TNZ but maybe B1 from LR?

They make a better candidate. They'd welcome the cash, the boat is a bit worn out so they'll definitely use B2 in the summer....

As an aside, does CIC apply to the Prada Cup? It applies to the match but does it also apply to the selection?

From the protocol:

image.thumb.png.5d7d9c3688b168113b8b56832d399b56.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NZL3481 said:

Sorry,

I got the incredibly competent RG (above) mixed up with the not so competent one that can only take quotes from other peoples work and the odd photo...

As I've been saying for a good while now - Clownwell. Even you KiWhingersTM finally admit what's obvious to the rest of the sailing world.

I mean, it doesn't take a PhD...

6 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

From the protocol:

image.thumb.png.5d7d9c3688b168113b8b56832d399b56.png

8. ELIGIBILITY OF YACHTS.
"..COR/D may introduce alternative arrangements for one or more of the ACWS events depending upon the number of Competitors and the then number of AC 75 yachts available to compete at the time of the event."

This part looks to be the clause under appeal to the Arbitration Panel for Stars&Stripes to sail Te Aihe in the ACWS events. WHich means COR/D didn't agree :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smackdaddy said:
16 hours ago, NZL3481 said:

Sorry,

I got the incredibly competent RG (above) mixed up with the not so competent one that can only take quotes from other peoples work and the odd photo...

As I've been saying for a good while now - Clownwell. Even you KiWhingersTM finally admit what's obvious to the rest of the sailing world.

I mean, it doesn't take a PhD...

None so expert as those who sit on the sidelines, doing nothing.

Well, about 5,478 posts that amount to saying nothing ....

• Like 1

looks like Degiant went in the water a couple of hours ago .. waiting for some wind for next trick? still floating, that's good

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, weta27 said:

None so expert as those who sit on the sidelines, doing nothing.

Well, about 5,478 posts that amount to saying nothing ....

Except that I've been right on this stuff for months now - and you KiWhingersTM have been utterly wrong.

Not that that's saying anything....

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

We’re talking the CSS knockouts here, not ACWS. 

And the "alternative arrangements" turned out to be no ACWS at all. :P

Does anyone happen to know what frequencies the teams are using for their on water radios when training? Or even what technology so I can try scanning for it?

30 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Does anyone happen to know what frequencies the teams are using for their on water radios when training? Or even what technology so I can try scanning for it?

The best that folks have done in recent AC’s is follow the AIS tracking on the support boats. They were required to have that turned on in SF and BDA, not sure if NZ regs require it of that kind of watercraft. 

1 hour ago, mikenz2 said:

Good luck trying to find that info :)

Looking at the viaduct webcam it seems like AM may have headed out for a play - followed closely by the departure of one of ETNZ's chase boats.  

I hope Weta is onto it.  Would be great to get some footage of AM's first sail in Auckland.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Apterix said:

Looking at the viaduct webcam it seems like AM may have headed out for a play - followed closely by the departure of one of ETNZ's chase boats.  

I hope Weta is onto it.  Would be great to get some footage of AM's first sail in Auckland.  

^ video

• Like 1

They are sitting off North Head in very little wind with main up only.

6 minutes ago, Crux said:

They are sitting off North Head in very little wind with main up only.

Looked like a jib halyard failure from my angle, see video: 

15 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Looked like a jib halyard failure

Yeah, we heard the 'bang' as it went past

DSC_0929.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, weta27 said:

On Torpedo Bay wharf

One day I'm going to have to jump on the ferry and come say Hi!

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

One day I'm going to have to jump on the ferry and come say Hi!

Take a bottle of single malt with you to ward off the cold ;)

• Like 1

Nah, pretty mild today, considering it's winter.

This is the Shore mate! We have a whole different climate over here.

I had a couple of agency photographers to keep me company, so it was a very pleasant day - actually we were there for four and a half hours waiting for the boat to turn up!!

• Like 2

On 7/26/2020 at 6:40 AM, The_Alchemist said:

"They'll be as mad as hell," says Ehman. "Challengers betraying other challengers."

Yeah. I mean it's not like that's ever happened before in the AC, right? :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weta27 said:

Nah, pretty mild today, considering it's winter.

This is the Shore mate! We have a whole different climate over here.

I had a couple of agency photographers to keep me company, so it was a very pleasant day - actually we were there for four and a half hours waiting for the boat to turn up!!

That rock of yours must be getting a bit crowded, mate. Especially with all those sweeping 800mm lenses. ;-)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Especially with all those sweeping 800mm lenses. ;-)

Yes, I had various kinds of lens envy, not to mention some hot bodies ....

DSC_0874.jpg

• Like 7

Seems we're going to get a two boat day :-) Te Kāhu is in the water already and Defiant is out of the shed.

• Like 7

Is it within the rules for Te Kahu to sail along side Defiant? It seems like it would be a pretty good way to get a handle on the competition.  And, would make for some awesome footage.  Bring it on....

12 minutes ago, Apterix said:

Is it within the rules for Te Kahu to sail along side Defiant? It seems like it would be a pretty good way to get a handle on the competition.  And, would make for some awesome footage.  Bring it on....

For sure, no rules issue.

Teams will have their testing agenda preplanned for the day but if and when they happen to be in the same water, there’s an excellent chance for a few minutes of windup fun. TH already suggested to watch out for it.

Would love to see that too, bring it on! 

• Like 1

Te Kāhu  is doing laps off North Head. Chase boats are unusually distant today - like they're either mock racing against them or they're just not trying to pull real time telemetry off the yacht on the chase boats right now.

Whilst interesting the first time, and can be countered by the team on the receiving end slowing stopping etc 

if it was a persistent pattern it would be utter dick behaviour. Yes its in the self written rules to be legal  It  if the little boat is just going to be off gathering data on the other teams it kinda points to a slightly cunty edge to the hard working plucky underfunded home team.

i mean it’s totally unlikely. it’s not like they would think about selling their B1 to a half arsed team so they can get race data off it during the Prada cup to compare with B2 and the other teams. 

such Machiavellian scheming surely isn’t within the kiwi FairPlay mindset? 

• Like 1

you do realise that there are chase boats pretty much every day "gathering data on the other teams"

there was nothing stopping any team bringing their mini's to NZ at any stage to line up against whatever they wanted

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Whilst interesting the first time, and can be countered by the team on the receiving end slowing stopping etc 

if it was a persistent pattern it would be utter dick behaviour. Yes its in the self written rules to be legal  It  if the little boat is just going to be off gathering data on the other teams it kinda points to a slightly cunty edge to the hard working plucky underfunded home team.

i mean it’s totally unlikely. it’s not like they would think about selling their B1 to a half arsed team so they can get race data off it during the Prada cup to compare with B2 and the other teams. 

Why Jal! Didn't you know NZ is one of the least corrupt countries in the world?

1612039091_ScreenShot2020-07-27at5_26_56PM.thumb.png.c2e57e00a9c9e23ebf4b706434ad0c3c.png

Of course, on the other hand, their professional sailors and internet denizens seem to make Somalia look like Boy Scouts. Especially, as has been alleged, when there is public money involved. (The above innocence ranking makes them an easy mark, I suppose?)

UAE (21) must be embarrassed as well.

51 minutes ago, Apterix said:

It would still have to comply with the spy boat distance rule, I’d think. 

41 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

it’s not like they would think about selling their B1 to a half arsed team so they can get race data off it during the Prada cup to compare with B2 and the other teams. 

It’s unlikely to be the biggest motivating factor, more like a side effect benefit to the Defender, one that the real Challs will aggressively stand up against. 

again, pure speculation that it is ETNZ B1 that has the 'for sale' sign on it ... each of the challengers would get as much of a benefit from racing against there own B1

would be interested to know if S+S were to win the challenger series in a 3rd parties boat ... would they be eligible to race ETNZ in the AC finals or would that right be passed onto the 2nd place team

Here’s a fun angle to consider: 

If the AP decides this scheme is somehow legit, then do the other Challs get granted an equal opportunity to buy/rent/study/then demolish and sink, Te A? Or does only S+S earn the right to do it? 

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

mean it’s totally unlikely. it’s not like they would think about selling their B1 to a half arsed team so they can get race data off it during the Prada cup to compare with B2 and the other teams. 

Why would you ever want more data from the boat that you have just sailed for months, and are now two revisions past with b2?

The teams don't seem concerned to get in the same bit of water:

• Like 9

Hard to judge relative speeds, too many variables at play - plus possibility of sand bagging.  But, to my eye Te Kahu looks like a weapon.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Like the man said, "if we meet on the motorway....".

12 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Checking each other out
image.thumb.png.16e22c8605f52d2b01bc208bee915fde.png

Nothbound/Southbound. We need an offramp quick smart! ;-)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sailbydate said:

Nothbound/Southbound. We need an offramp quick smart! ;-)

Defiant took the next exit all the way to North Headimage.thumb.png.45fffecdb44b776d9a859c432325433a.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikenz2 said:

2:20...

Bungling: "Bloody hell that thing's fast. Let's go the other way so no one will notice we're getting smoked."

3:13...

Deano: "Where'd Bungling go? Let's pull a tight, dry gybe, boys, and go run him down."

KiWhingersTM: [Gulp]

4:40

Emiratis:

1ed4b9d2d719571364a79e69147f45ff.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

2:20...

Bungling: "Bloody hell that thing's fast. Let's go the other way so no one will notice we're getting smoked."

3:13...

Deano: "Where'd Bungling go? Let's pull a tight, dry gybe, boys, and go run him down."

KiWhingersTM: [Gulp]

4:40

Emiratis:

1ed4b9d2d719571364a79e69147f45ff.gif

Burling: “Hey Dalts, You sure you don’t wanna let these guys borrow B1 instead? It’d be a lot better for them than the heap of shit they’re in now”

Dalts “good to see you turn around kid. We don’t want these clowns packing up and going home before it even starts”

3 hours ago, mikenz2 said:

@The_Alchemist, can you evaluate the speed of the two boats on the same tack ?

1 hour ago, Hawke said:

That'll give them some good info.

Yes it certainly well.   

Because the angle between the boats and the camera varies during the sequence its hard to tell how big the speed differential is.  Comparing the relative speeds of the boats during the portion of the clip when Te Kahu is up to speed after the tack - it definitely appears that Defiance is faster.  But, there are an interesting few seconds from 0:40 - 0:45 when it looks like the boys give TK a bit of a squeeze and she appears to accelerate briefly before dropping off.  I guess no one wants to give too much away just yet, but it is great to see both boats out on the same water.  

Can't wait to see both big boats out there. 

Hopefully in the next few days.....

What foils did Te Kahu have on today? Are they still going 2 x bulbed?

1 hour ago, Tommy22 said:

What foils did Te Kahu have on today? Are they still going 2 x bulbed?

Yep, and both bulbs were different.  Took close ups this morning when she was on the cradle but they won't upload.

20200728_081159.jpg

• Like 1

Well, if it's up to Ahmed, AC36 might have a crowd after all...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53563276

Emirates covers Covid-19 medical and funeral costs

Emirates has become the first airline to offer free Covid-19 insurance as it tries to get people flying again. Passengers will be covered for medical treatment, hotel quarantine, and even their funeral if they catch the coronavirus while travelling.

"We know people are yearning to fly as borders around the world gradually re-open, but they are seeking flexibility and assurances should something unforeseen happen during their travel," Emirates Group Chairman Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum said in a statement.

Swing open the gates (and hospitals and funeral parlors) Auckland! Ahmed's bringing 'em in - and he's got the tab!

Heck of a sheikh you serve there New Zealand. Definitely from the GD School of PR.

grantD copy.png

56 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Let the idiocy begin.

America's Cup 2021: Team New Zealand test boat Te Kāhu in 'drag race' with American Magic's Defiant 
https://nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12351764

cmon...that was an epic bit of footage. There will be more. this is not bda with one lovely fella doing all the long lens work. 

first time i saw the gang flopping around like fish in bda i laid my first bet ever, a grand on etnz at 8:1... don't reckon i'll get those odds right now :blink:

A couple more clips to end the day... 

I'm working from the office tomorrow so will be a quiet day from me if they're on the water tomorrow.

• Like 6

Thanks mikenz2, love your videos and very much appreciate your efforts!

So good to see both boats in the same bit of water.

The little Hawk looks like she could give Defiant a good run for her money ... 

Just now, weta27 said:

The little Hawk looks like she could give Defiant a good run for her money ... 

Te Kāhu looked very different pace each tack again today, on her North -> South runs she looked like a rocket ship! Coming back the other direction not so much - foil testing clearly revealing differences.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, barfy said:

cmon...that was an epic bit of footage. There will be more. this is not bda with one lovely fella doing all the long lens work. 

first time i saw the gang flopping around like fish in bda i laid my first bet ever, a grand on etnz at 8:1... don't reckon i'll get those odds right now :blink:

Don’t know what you are on but seriously if that is epic for you a half model vs a contender it must be fucking mind bendingly good.

15 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Don’t know what you are on but seriously if that is epic for you a half model vs a contender it must be fucking mind bendingly good.

epic is the first day of AC36 lineups cuz, no matter if one is a test boat and one is a B1, on the AC track.

what you got ?

10 minutes ago, barfy said:

epic is the first day of AC36 lineups cuz, no matter if one is a test boat and one is a B1, on the AC track.

what you got ?

Obviously a far more tangible grasp on reality compared to your bizarre interpretation.

D693B299-03A3-4C37-95BA-A8EAD93B42CA.thumb.jpeg.58b159d9e74482de84722722405877da.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Obviously a far more tangible grasp on reality compared to your bizarre interpretation.

<snip>

wtf. It is the first time two teams lined up on the waters to be used for the match. you say one is a contender... well, it is obviously a first go and they will do much better with the next one. AM got everyone here in trying times. Te Kahu is out there going head to head with half the size. We have video.

Please, do enlighten me with your grasp on this day cuz. Spell it out in say, one paragraph, and everyone else on here maybe not me, will be larger for your interpretation.

5 minutes ago, barfy said:

wtf. It is the first time two teams lined up on the waters to be used for the match. you say one is a contender... well, it is obviously a first go and they will do much better with the next one. AM got everyone here in trying times. Te Kahu is out there going head to head with half the size. We have video.

Please, do enlighten me with your grasp on this day cuz. Spell it out in say, one paragraph, and everyone else on here maybe not me, will be larger for your interpretation.

Fuck dick head let’s put it in very simple terms ok what is the very obvious difference between Te Kahu and Amway.

6 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Fuck dick head let’s put it in very simple terms ok what is the very obvious difference between Te Kahu and Amway.

fuck muppet dennis conner kissing gold. reading skills not that good?

8 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

AM got everyone here in trying times. Te Kahu is out there going head to head with half the size. We have video

like i said, AM is a ...contender first try...they better do have something a step up. as will everyone. its not even close to a contender boat. its a template at best.

Te Kahu is a second generation boat. 1.5 ya?

Two teams are finally on the water in Covid free NZ, where the 36th match will take place. 

If that's not pretty cool, you better get on some re-runs of Coronation Street, and get your lotion out.

And delete your account and follow...maybe...local fishing comps?

What a fairy tale it would be for Deano to take it!

1 minute ago, barfy said:

Yeah but ...  can I buy the film rights now?

1 minute ago, astro said:

Yeah but ...  can I buy the film rights now?

its a brutal 5 min mashup, but i havn't opened the can for a year...jimmi be proud

8 hours ago, I ride bikes said:

Yep, and both bulbs were different.  Took close ups this morning when she was on the cradle but they won't upload.

20200728_081159.jpg

So, it looks like they are working on bulb development...

6 hours ago, mikenz2 said:

Te Kāhu looked very different pace each tack again today, on her North -> South runs she looked like a rocket ship! Coming back the other direction not so much - foil testing clearly revealing differences.

Different bulbs on the foils.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, astro said:

What a fairy tale it would be for Deano to take it!

Deano doesn't know how to win. In 2000 the thing was already won. He managed the smallest winning margin of the whole regatta. 2003, he had race 2 in the bag and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, before being white washed. 2007, 2-1 up, lost. 2013, 8-1 up, lost. 2017, 3-1 up against Artemis, lost. 

He knows how to win better than anyone here telling him he doesn’t. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

He knows how to win better than anyone here telling him he doesn’t. 

What cracks me up with all the idiots attacking Deano is how he carried the weight of the entire defeat on his shoulders, led the team with honor and lost because of a fundamentally stalled development race vs. Oracle in its own turf - and then somehow is cast aside like a used up piece of garbage, then but attacked by others for... gasp... taking another job to sail.

Either you reward him with loyalty or STFU about his career options that he's taking. You can't throw the garbage out then claim he owes you some loyalty or shouldn't try to sail.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Miffy said:

What cracks me up with all the idiots attacking Deano is how he carried the weight of the entire defeat on his shoulders, led the team with honor and lost because of a fundamentally stalled development race vs. Oracle in its own turf - and then somehow is cast aside like a used up piece of garbage, then but attacked by others for... gasp... taking another job to sail.

Either you reward him with loyalty or STFU about his career options that he's taking. You can't throw the garbage out then claim he owes you some loyalty or shouldn't try to sail.

I don't like the way he threw his toys when he left. Of course burling was going to helm going forward. Just his start record against spitty validated that. His tanty was just another thorn for his team, etnz, when he left. For the opposition as well, but that's up to him. Good on his new job, better than sboto.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, barfy said:

I don't like the way he threw his toys when he left. Of course burling was going to helm going forward. Just his start record against spitty validated that. His tanty was just another thorn for his team, etnz, when he left. For the opposition as well, but that's up to him. Good on his new job, better than sboto.

It was an ugly divorce after a painful experience that no one came away looking better. Grant Dalton isn’t exactly a standup good fella. He’s where he is today precisely because he isn’t some honest Browns Bay small time bloke. 

I don’t expect Deano to have some oath of loyalty for life to what is basically a private entity representing NZ when it wins. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, barfy said:

I don't like the way he threw his toys when he left. His tanty was just another thorn for his team, etnz, when he left.

I understand you have the intellectual capacity of a common Kiwi - but according to actual history his toys were thrown out of the crib for him. He just followed the toys instead of kissing GD's throwing hand.

Good move I'd say.

16 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Carrying the weight of defeat is part of the skippers job. Comes with the territory. 
As far as his release. He was NEVER sacked. There was a review after San Francisco, the review identified positions crucial to the teams success going forward. One of which they offered to Dean, but he turned it down. He ultimately would’ve denied Burling and Tuke, 2 guys in their prime with a string of world championships and Olympic medals behind them.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Carrying the weight of defeat is part of the skippers job. Comes with the territory. 
As far as his release. He was NEVER sacked. There was a review after San Francisco, the review identified positions crucial to the teams success going forward. One of which they offered to Dean, but he turned it down. He ultimately would’ve denied Burling and Tuke, 2 guys in their prime with a string of world championships and Olympic medals behind them.

Perhaps of more relevance, what was the situation with Holroyd and Bernasconi? 

The Emiratis are still in fine form I see...

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 6.48.24 PM.png

EasyEnviousAsianelephant-small.gif

7 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

The Emiratis are still in fine form I see...

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 6.48.24 PM.png

EasyEnviousAsianelephant-small.gif

I don't mean to feed the trolls, but honestly mate, don't you have a job or some real-life hobbies that might interfere with your 24/7 shitposting here? Do you ever actually... sail? Or did Dalton steal your opti when you were a kid?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, buckdouger said:

Perhaps of more relevance, what was the situation with Holroyd and Bernasconi? 

I’ve wondered about it too, both are brilliant designers. My guess is that, like with DB, NH was offered a position but not at the top of the tree and so he went after a better (and probably far more-lucrative) opportunity at STJ. 

NH is now with Ineos working with Simmer, Kramers and others, as you already know. 

BA recently repeated his assertion about the importance of teams’ abilities to catch up or overtake development-wise even very late in the game may have those guys feeling good. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

Very different

bulb.jpg.89be7ee93b70067f647cd4c31e1a3cfb.jpg

884284157_TKbulb.jpg.46158b5316314851362d00024f89906d.jpg

Foil placement looks quite backward (as in aft) on torpedo body.

Edited by Sailbydate
Correction

10 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Different bulbs on the foils.

According to Gladwell, TK was "surprisingly fast downwind" as they were using the weird "aft wing" bulb (I think similar to LR)

TK.jpg.9ee69c308daa7abaab24b8bcb54dc047.jpgbulb2.jpg.c22097546c464f074043f7fddee21147.jpg

• Like 3