Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

nice vid,

interesting that they showed the foil flaps moving in the same direction. id bet that the teams are independently controlling them at some point in maneuvers

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lickindip said:

nice vid,

interesting that they showed the foil flaps moving in the same direction. id bet that the teams are independently controlling them at some point in maneuvers

Especially for the wings that are anhedral; which you’d expect all teams will do to some extent. 

The flaps may still move in the same direction much of the time but to varying degrees. 

14 hours ago, Lickindip said:

nice vid,

What are the regs this cycle re user input/computational interpretation? Is fly by wire prohibited?

33 minutes ago, Miffy said:

What are the regs this cycle re user input/computational interpretation? Is fly by wire prohibited?

Curious too. 

My guess that sailors will have to more thinking than ‘follow the dot’ this time but regardless how much thinking they are required to do, as example for flight control or wing control, there will be a great deal of stuff that happens automagically when the tactician calls for example to go VMG mode when anticipating a coming lift. 

Speaking of which, I wish LIDAR were allowed this time, it has excellent trickle-down potential. 

12 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Curious too. 

My guess that sailors will have to more thinking than ‘follow the dot’ this time but regardless how much thinking they are required to do, as example for flight control or wing control, there will be a great deal of stuff that happens automagically when the tactician calls for example to go VMG mode when anticipating a coming lift. 

Speaking of which, I wish LIDAR were allowed this time, it has excellent trickle-down potential. 

I mean follow the dot vs applying rudder and joystick isn’t gonna be that diff once you learn the system and system understands your “intent”

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

I mean follow the dot vs applying rudder and joystick isn’t gonna be that diff once you learn the system and system understands your “intent”

Agreed, it’s an interesting subject. There’s a lot going on undercover that won’t be obvious to us, including how teams may somehow leapfrog what the Rule tries to impose on them. 

it's my understanding that ETNZ outlawed the 'follow the dot' system

i imagine when testing they have something like the follow the dot to train the person controlling (which is probably why they are reasonably consistent now) but will have to be removed for official racing

A large, white plastic-covered hull has appeared outside ETNZ's building?!

Edit: It's hard to see from the webcam sequence if it's B1 coming out or B2 arriving, but I think it's the latter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Probably Stars with Stripes......

10 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Edit: It's hard to see from the webcam sequence if it's B1 coming out or B2 arriving, but I think it's the latter.

shes a skinny looking one

Interesting, anyone care to try figure by the building size which it is, B2 or an IACC? Would be awesome to see B2 this early but I’m a touch skeptical and yes, it does look like an IACC. 

So they plan to bolt the cleavers on and christen it B2? Money definitely must be tight.

Or will they sell it to S+S? Brilliant!

Like I sed

tenor.gif

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Interesting, anyone care to try figure by the building size which it is, B2 or an IACC? Would be awesome to see B2 this early but I’m a touch skeptical and yes, it does look like an IACC. 

100% its the IACC boat.  They were unloading the keel and bulb when I passed by this morning.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weta27 said:

Latest AC75 by, Sam Manuard....obviously. ;-) 

27 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Latest AC75 by, Sam Manuard....obviously. ;-) 

Sure, a Sam Manuard alright, it's got to be Pete and Blair's Imoca for the TOR, obviously.

Well, I just signed the contract for my new billboard. Should start running in January and go though April...

billboard.png

Enjoy. Heh.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Well, I just signed the contract for my new billboard. Should start running in January and go though April...

billboard.png

Enjoy. Heh.

americasslide.jpg

This ones better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

billboard.png

Enjoy. Heh.

:lol:

1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

:lol:

Awww look at that. The trolls sticking together lol

• Like 3

If Hunter was still around he'd sue your flabby arse, smackarse. Or maybe just shoot your with his .357.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

billboard.png

Enjoy. Heh.

Lolz.  Chapéu

Really excited to see NZL-60 again she has just as much importance as 32.

The first successful defender outside the USA is a remarkable achievement for little old New Zealand.

Blake would be proud to see her get some attention once again.

1498606537253.jpg

• Like 7

We love to see the septics putting money into our economy, if its via a billboard that's better than in person.  

16 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Agreed, it’s an interesting subject. There’s a lot going on undercover that won’t be obvious to us, including how teams may somehow leapfrog what the Rule tries to impose on them. 

But you can read English I reckon.

READ THE RULE

Edit: and again it's part and parcel of your innuendo and revisionist shiCT. Muppet

12 hours ago, NZL4EVER said:

Really excited to see NZL-60 again she has just as much importance as 32.

The first successful defender outside the USA is a remarkable achievement for little old New Zealand.

Blake would be proud to see her get some attention once again.

1498606537253.jpg

I've wondered on occasion what, Sir Peter would have made of the AC75's.

He'd have been less than complimentary of their seakeeping quality I shouldn't wonder. ;-)

3 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

I've wondered on occasion what, Sir Peter would have made of the AC75's.

He'd have been less than complimentary of their seakeeping quality I shouldn't wonder. ;-)

He would have loved to come along on them, just like his mate Robin KJ.

He would not take one for the Jules Verne, but, but, one day someone will !

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

She looks great!

Brings back great memories...

She had been well wrapped up at YDL - can't say the same for the others...

IMG_20190414_143747.thumb.jpg.2e37c0ab2c24708dea46e9565c357a45.jpg

30 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Whats the one next to the two Louis Vuitton Trophy boats? looks like theres a bow sticking out from under a cover. Is that NZL57? 

32 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Not THAT well wrapped up!

That’s NZL38 which is completely plastic wrapped..... 60 looks like someone’s thrown a blanket over the cockpit.

As for 84 and 92..... I think they’ve previously been described here as ‘toast’. 

Just now, Forourselves said:

Whats the one next to the two Louis Vuitton Trophy boats? looks like theres a bow sticking out from under a cover. Is that NZL57? 

No... THAT’S 60!!

1 minute ago, DohaNZ said:

No... THAT’S 60!!

So the one thats on display at the base is 57? 

Just now, Forourselves said:

So the one thats on display at the base is 57? 

Noooo... 60 was stored at YDL, along with 38, 84, and 92. 

That pic is from a while ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Thought so. The bow profile of "NZL60"thats on display down at the base doesn't look like the same bow profile used in 2000. But they did modify the two defence boats after 2000 to test new profiles, so thought it could've been that.

They were modified, and I think 57 was sold to a French AC team (Areva?). Don’t know what happened to her. 

I’m still interested in 38.  She did a lot of hard work in 95... and is now shrink-wrapped doing nothing. Wonder if she’s still seaworthy?

4 minutes ago, DohaNZ said:

Noooo... 60 was stored at YDL, along with 38, 84, and 92. 

That pic is from a while ago.

Well she's done well for only having what looks like a painters drop sheet over the top! 

The French bought 57, and leased 60 right? She raced as K-Challenge during the build up regattas for the 2007 AC. Even beat Alinghi in a race.

This is the front on pic. Posted a while ago.

The 2 ETNZ AC2007 yachts, NZL60, and NZL38??

E45C4052-85BF-4FD0-B76F-FDFF08C9A25F.jpeg.27427c5c14042b9d8fe57b4ecea840ed.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

This is the front on pic. Posted a while ago.

The 2 ETNZ AC2007 yachts, NZL60, and NZL38??

E45C4052-85BF-4FD0-B76F-FDFF08C9A25F.jpeg.27427c5c14042b9d8fe57b4ecea840ed.jpeg

Yup it’s 38.

Here’s some older pics to contrast with:

38, with some dodgy ‘Black Magic 2’ livery in Valencia

And then the shrink-wrapped boat at the Tank Farm (before being moved to YDL). You can just make out the fern under the wrapping. 

(Apologies... I know we’re sorta in the wrong thread for this discussion)

IMG_80ECC5ED75F3-1.thumb.jpeg.f487e22c875aecead1ec92a00e4c57d4.jpeg

Can understand why there'd be next to no value (Financial or sentimental) in restoring the two ETNZ boats, they were well and truly beaten, but IMO 38 deserves her place next to the winning boats. She was retired unbeaten in San Diego and did a lot of hard yards to get the team through the round robins in 95.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Can understand why there'd be next to no value (Financial or sentimental) in restoring the two ETNZ boats, they were well and truly beaten, but IMO 38 deserves her place next to the winning boats. She was retired unbeaten in San Diego and did a lot of hard yards to get the team through the round robins in 95.

It’s a bit like a “hardest tryer” award though, isn’t it?

2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

It was a good series and pretty special day in San Diego.  Shame to not be able to have/find a benefactor or sponsor to restore both of them and keep them sailing, set them on the waterfront or in a park like the Kanza/ITA25 installation.

8406CB80-17D7-4312-BB33-4B8EC4A0FBC9.jpeg

32212B5C-21D1-4086-96C0-506F0613C7C2.jpeg

Well they do say in the video that Tindall looked after 60, so maybe he's also got 38 and that's why it's much better protected and wrapped?

What a Great New Zealander he is eh?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, XPRO said:

It was a good series and pretty special day in San Diego.  Shame to not be able to have/find a benefactor or sponsor to restore both of them and keep them sailing, set them on the waterfront or in a park like the Kanza/ITA25 installation.

8406CB80-17D7-4312-BB33-4B8EC4A0FBC9.jpeg

They certainly enjoyed themselves.  I seem to remember that Russell could barely sit on his seat straight. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

It’s a bit like a “hardest tryer” award though, isn’t it?

Everyone's a winner

7 hours ago, XPRO said:

Shame to not be able to have/find a benefactor or sponsor to restore both of them and keep them sailingset them on the waterfront or in a park like the Kanza/ITA25 installation.

I think nothing highlights the historical transient nature of America’s Cup better than old boats not being relevant or much utilized. 

But you have folks constantly whining about Bermuda or San Francisco boats and wanting to keep them alive like they’re invested in the hulls. 

7 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I think nothing highlights the historical transient nature of America’s Cup better than old boats not being relevant or much utilized. 

But you have folks constantly whining about Bermuda or San Francisco boats and wanting to keep them alive like they’re invested in the hulls. 

But you know Miffy, I think that’s just it.  I know that I - and many others on this forum - ARE invested in the hulls!  Yes we’re a bit obsessive (!) but we rode the fortunes of those boats for days/weeks/months on end.  We know the team members, but it’s the boat which is the most visible entity.

I went to San Francisco for the ill-fated 2013 event... in the end it was a losing boat, on the wrong side of an extraordinary comeback.  But I’ve never seen anything like those AC72s before, and it sticks in the memory.

• Like 3

I think the faster boats are more interesting the the IACC boats. The IACC's were finely tuned but still pretty damn slow compared to hot boats at the time.  Not too much that'll still be quicker than an AC50 or AC75 in ten years time. 

As for the 12m boats, some of them were lovely, some were sailable outside the AC, so they endure for that reason.

Really it's just the IACC class that doesn't fit anywhere. 

14 minutes ago, RMac said:

I think the faster boats are more interesting the the IACC boats. The IACC's were finely tuned but still pretty damn slow compared to hot boats at the time.  Not too much that'll still be quicker than an AC50 or AC75 in ten years time. 

As for the 12m boats, some of them were lovely, some were sailable outside the AC, so they endure for that reason.

Really it's just the IACC class that doesn't fit anywhere. 

I guess it depends on what @Miffy means by “utilised”.

127755DE-9D12-46C6-851C-D1F6F83C737E.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

I guess it depends on what @Miffy means by “utilised”.

127755DE-9D12-46C6-851C-D1F6F83C737E.jpeg

Isn't that the Illbruck Challenge boat?

I mean obviously some people have sentimental value for events and boats - but... of all the hulls built by challengers and defenders alike... how many are really beloved and sailed or displayed? What I'm trying to say is - don't get too caught up in a fixed class or fixed moment in time - we shouldn't do that to the future generation of architects and sailors or cup holders.

• Like 3

because its history worth keeping,

would be fantastic to see past AC winners line up like this at where ever the AC goes around the world

it only takes a bit of money :D

image.thumb.png.b531ea9430e6b97ed0c43a36062e1399.png

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Miffy said:

Shirley you see success in the failGP then

2 hours ago, barfy said:

Shirley you see success in the failGP then

You mean the boats that are now (or should be) relegated to the " Where Are They Now? - Retired America's Cup boat" thread?  

I think there's probably only one measured AC50 left, the ETNZ one? 

31 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I think there's probably only one measured AC50 left, the ETNZ one? 

I thought I read somewhere that SoftBank kept their’s as well. 

5 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I thought I read somewhere that SoftBank kept their’s as well. 

It cleverly aligns with their corporate culture of hanging on to bad interests like we works. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

With no Olympics to distract the dynamic duo they will be twice as fast in the AC36.

I would have thought it more a trio 

Gashby  Pete and Blair 

• Like 2

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/122360315/americas-cup-stars--stripes-not-allowed-to-use-foreign-boat

America’s Cup hopefuls Stars + Stripes have had their bid to use a foreign boat in Auckland turned down.

The independent arbitration panel ruled they couldn’t use a hull built outside the United States as determined in the Deed of Gift that governs the regatta.

• Like 1

The prospect of Tuke organising a NZL flagged tilt at another RTW race is salivating.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Hawke said:

I think what sets Burling apart is his technical knowledge.  He is like the best race car drivers they can translate what they feel on the track to the mechanics and designers.

Gashby's contributions in the boat development are often overlooked by many, as Burling takes most of the spotlights.

The Burling-Tuke-Ashby afterguard trio on the AC75 is a force to be reckon with, I'll put my money on them any day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawke said:

I think what sets Burling apart is his technical knowledge.  He is like the best race car drivers they can translate what they feel on the track to the mechanics and designers.

Same with Coutts: both engineers. This was the major disadvantage Dean Barker had...

6 minutes ago, Indio said:

Same with Coutts: both engineers. This was the major disadvantage Dean Barker had...

Poor little rich kid?

I wonder what ACAP#09 is...any wild-assed guesses?

188873428_APDecisions.thumb.JPG.cc4c695b10d2b0c4b14f9b6751e6cc3e.JPG

1 hour ago, Indio said:

Same with Coutts: both engineers. This was the major disadvantage Dean Barker had...has. 

Fixed

Would be fair to say that after close to a month of deliberation the ACE vs The Herald was very complicated and something ain't right..........  

Woah - truth, what's that?

1882537963_ScreenShot2020-08-06at11_39_12AM.png.a35d16e5b4649c44c4dd8911d9384587.png

I don't even have one of those. How do you get one?

Oh, and yeah, very quiet indeed.

5 hours ago, thetruth said:

Would be fair to say that after close to a month of deliberation the ACE vs The Herald was very complicated and something ain't right..........  

It's got to have been hushed up, right?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

It's got to have been hushed up, right?

It's just a bizarre story, would suck if it only leaks out later what's actually going on when people give up on NDAs and the like. 

Given the delay (presumably until the accounting forensics reach some conclusion) then it seems unlikely the ‘interim report’ will get published by anyone. But a politico in Wellington said that some kind of MBIE final report will be made public. 

Just now, Stingray~ said:

I’m actually remembering a video of a guy saying it straight to the news cameras, but can’t be arsed to go find it for you. 

You don't need to, it was obvious to all and sundry the final report would be made public because that's the level of transparency that we operate at in NZ.

If they make the MBIE report on ETNZ public ostensibly because of "public funding" being involved, then we should all demand to see the details of the 100s of million$ of Covid-19 Financial Assistance paid to huge companies like The Warehouse, Fletchers, etc..

4 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

You don't need to, it was obvious to all and sundry the final report would be made public because that's the level of transparency that we operate at in NZ.

Yes, the AC Event discussions were all remarkably transparent too, refreshingly so. 

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes, the AC Event discussions were all remarkably transparent too, refreshingly so. 

Do you imagine the NZ government to be part of some grand conspiracy against...??? Something in particular?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Do you imagine the NZ government to be part of some grand conspiracy against...??? Something in particular?

He's a BLM foundation member...

5 minutes ago, Miffy said:

(he and I both live in a country where we have to watch our leadership go to war nearly daily with: facts, science, any hint of civic duty, words with more than six letters, ethics, and for some reason windmills. Cut us a break it's a hostage situation here.)

• Like 4