Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

22 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Polls lately suggest that if the election were to be held now then DT will get dumped in a massive landslide. The news cycle can be fickle but the trend has a strong chance of holding, so keep your hopes up!

Sadly, even a different administration will struggle with this now out-of-control pandemic. The NZ election has been turned, again now, into a ‘Covoid Election’ and that is likely what will happen here too, given the very opposite outcomes. 

Looks like he’s past the outcome of the election, and realises it’s all but over for him. He seems to now have turned his attention to discrediting the election process in hoping he can convince enough of his base to cause some sort of chaos, should he lose, due to the election being “rigged” against him. Certainly will be interesting to see whether or not he goes quietly if he loses.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Looks like he’s past the outcome of the election, and realises it’s all but over for him. He seems to now have turned his attention to discrediting the election process in hoping he can convince enough of his base to cause some sort of chaos, should he lose, due to the election being “rigged” against him. Certainly will be interesting to see whether or not he goes quietly if he loses.

I don't think so

I think that's the reason for the blue lives rallying

Send in peacekeepers please

Te Aihe did a couple of fly pasts of Defiant (under slow tow home) then took off out of the harbour

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Te Aihe did a couple of fly pasts of Defiant (under slow tow home) then took off out of the harbour

Thank you, great stuff.

Some interesting AWA hunting early in this one and a super-nice maneuver around 5:35

What? Defiant in displacement mode with no sails up still managed to cross in front of the Te Aihe?!  The Kiwis might as well hand over the Cup right now! :rolleyes:

Defiant vs Te Aihe.png

• Like 9

When was the last time you saw a sail boat moving across the seascape like a witch on a broomstick? Very slick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Polls lately suggest that if the election were to be held now then DT will get dumped in a massive landslide. The news cycle can be fickle but the trend has a strong chance of holding, so keep your hopes up!

Sadly, even a different administration will struggle with this now out-of-control pandemic. The NZ election has been turned, again now, into a ‘Covoid Election’ and that is likely what will happen here too, given the very opposite outcomes. 

The problem is the major damage he has done.  Pulling out of nuclear proliferation treaties, installing totally incompetent cronies In VOA, Justice Department, Treating allies like crap while sucking up to dictators, letting Russia off of the hook (for interference, invasions, bounties, etc), drilling in nature preserves, gutting the EPA, huge tax cuts for wealth, crony judges, incompetent ambassadors, reducing car emission standards, emboldening racist, stacking the Supreme Court with political activists, diverting money from military facilities to build a meaningless wall, turned us into the laughingstock of the world,  etc, etc, etc....  just a tip of the iceberg.  He has dismantled the very fabric of our nation and culture.  We can fix it, but a second term would be devastating.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

We can fix it, but a second term would be devastating. 

only a second term? Ivanka will put her hand up ... you probably have 12 more years

please refer to this website name and thread title then move on

appreciate the video Mikenz2 ... as SBD said: Witch on a broomstick. Amazing

I have been away and haven't properly caught up on the action since getting back.  Could someone please confirm that Te Aihe now has a bulb on the port foil?  - visible at around 5:10 in the video just before the tack.  

6 minutes ago, Apterix said:

I have been away and haven't properly caught up on the action since getting back.  Could someone please confirm that Te Aihe now has a bulb on the port foil?  - visible at around 5:10 in the video just before the tack.  

There you go.

DSC_1271.thumb.jpg.9d4f29eb613643fa6c7a4106ddd41203.jpg

bulb_foil.png

4 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read yesterday that if no election has been held/decided by, I think it was the 1st January, then the presidency is automatically transferred to the speaker of the house .... Nancy Pelosi. So Trump can't win by that route.

3 hours ago, mikenz2 said:

I love watching those cats bouncing off the waves trying to keep up while she flies smoothly along making it look easy!!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read yesterday that if no election has been held/decided by, I think it was the 1st January, then the presidency is automatically transferred to the speaker of the house .... Nancy Pelosi. So Trump can't win by that route.

In short, yes - but a lot of things would need to happen (highly unlikely) for the line of succession to kick in which would install the Speaker Pelosi as acting President, even though the VP is ahead of her in the succession order (because the presidency/VP terminate on 20th January, 2021).

There is the remote possibility that the corrupt IMPOTUS could be re-elcted if there is no clear majority (in the electoral college votes), which then pushes the vote to Congress - where the Republicans have a majority!!

Makes our MMP system look like child's play...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwing said:

I love watching those cats bouncing off the waves trying to keep up while she flies smoothly along making it look easy!!

That’s a good point.  Why the fuck don’t they foil?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikenz2 said:

thats smoking. IMHO looks even quicker on the new foil

37 minutes ago, Teaky said:

This does

38kn , is in the viaduct

Roger Hill 18m Foil-assisted Power Cat ~ Boating NZ

2 hours ago, Kiwing said:

Well I can confirm Tean NZ will be introducing a foiling cat to follow Te Aihe around.  It has been designed by the Italians, 1st cab of the rank is a foiling RIB. 

• Like 2

^ not much good in the gulf would always be hitting the waves lurching from wave top to wave top!

2 hours ago, Teaky said:

Rather difficult if the four outboards lift out of the water.

1 hour ago, Terry Hollis said:

Rather difficult if the four outboards lift out of the water.

Surely easier than the other shit they depend on to foil...

6 hours ago, Kiwing said:

They were really taking a kidney smashing when she was going downwind, when she headed back out they were no where to be seen. Amazing how the boat accelerated through that gybe.

Surely they can lower the outboards as the boat rises. Be good if they could get it a metre above the water to avoid chasing into each wave top?

On 8/13/2020 at 7:06 PM, Priscilla said:

Wether rumour or reality but case from a recent concert to add to the mix.

Had a chat with my brother in-law who is in designer homewares which was booming and he is filthy on Jacinda and her clueless band of communist lesbians  his words not mine.

Personally I put lives ahead of profit.

As to riotous behaviour  I think not unless you are a tithing member of Destiny Church.

Riotous behaviour against tithing members of the Destiny Church is long overdue!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

Riotous behaviour against tithing members of the Destiny Church is long overdue!

True.

Maybe the Covid19 is having a severe impact on his flocks ability to tithe and keep him and Hannah in the lifestyle they have long become used to.

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/has-gone-too-far-tamaki-wants-kiwis-take-streets

Any chinese whispers about the fate of Mayo & Calder? Are they still involved with the CoR-run CSS events or have they been kicked out of there as well?

Just now, Indio said:

Any chinese whispers about the fate of Mayo & Calder? Are they still involved with the CoR-run CSS events or have they been kicked out of there as well?

Gorn - Dalton will ensure they're banished forever from running an event involving anything with a sail. If they're really lucky they might get to run an iceboat regatta in Siberia.

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

GD looking to prematurely waive the Covid rules to rule the waves.

The disconnect and arrogance beggars belief.

The public cannot sail under level 3 nobody sails under level 4.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/300083251/coronavirus-emirates-team-nz-say-americas-cup-will-continue-under-covid19-alert-levels-3-4

It's only recreational sailing that is affected, professional sailing must comply with workplace rules.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terry Hollis said:

It's only recreational sailing that is affected, professional sailing must comply with workplace rules.

Only if it is safe to do so. No if's or buts. The $$$ question is will it be safe when the time comes? 

6 hours ago, Priscilla said:

GD looking to prematurely ....

Tell us how you really feel priss.

I was watching the ribs bounce off the waves too. And I think it's probably going to be tough creating a foiling rib that can follow, tow, and rescue, all capably and efficiently. The AC75s are very focused on sailing fast, whereas the ribs have a wide, diverse set of duties.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Priscilla said:

GD looking to prematurely waive the Covid rules to rule the waves.

The public cannot sail under level 3 nobody sails under level 4.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/300083251/coronavirus-emirates-team-nz-say-americas-cup-will-continue-under-covid19-alert-levels-3-4

Ahm...

The America's Cup was heavily reliant on broadcast coverage.

At this point, might as well race at night.

On 8/14/2020 at 3:18 PM, fish7yu said:

There you go.

DSC_1271.thumb.jpg.9d4f29eb613643fa6c7a4106ddd41203.jpg

bulb_foil.png

Thanks, any thoughts about whether this has led to improved speed, handling, etc and why?

Hyper-Stimulated, Utterly-UnBiased Eyeball measurement systems, calibrated closely with adjacent seagull activity, suggest it is Flaming Buzzy Bee fast.

• Like 3

Seagullus Maximus pictured here deep in conversation with a member of the public on North Head discussing the performance gains of the TNZ bulbed port foil.

'uhuh, eeah–ha–ha–ha–ha–ha'

Translates as "freaky fucking fast."

DdgwSxYVQAAhLJX.jpg.dc66c7918d7055fc9acbef975c307d10.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Seagullus Maximus pictured here deep in conversation with a member of the public on North Head discussing the performance gains of the TNZ bulbed port foil.

'uhuh, eeah–ha–ha–ha–ha–ha'

Translates as "freaky fucking fast."

DdgwSxYVQAAhLJX.jpg.dc66c7918d7055fc9acbef975c307d10.jpg

Please, pretty please, don't shit on my boat.

• Like 4

Yeah Max, I see him often on North Head, pick his brains, quite a knowledgeable guy.

He even shares the odd chip with me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Apterix said:

Thanks, any thoughts about whether this has led to improved speed, handling, etc and why?

Have to say that looks far more like a 20% change to the previous straight foil they had rather and a new foil all together...

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

Just because... the SF Oracle seagull. And you know how that ended.

MoeweSF.thumb.jpg.0228b0562410cc99e1978ea67b348ea2.jpg

Nothing sums up the aching feeling of loneliness more than a solitary seagull.

No mates no syndicate and no Cup bugger it’s a cruel world.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Burling and Tuke outline ambitious plan for 2021 America's Cup, Olympics and SailGP

https://www.sail-world.com/news/230834/Burling-and-Tuke-set-course-for-a-big-year-in-2021

I like this part...

Widely considered to be the hottest property in sailing, Peter Burling and Blair Tuke took a significant step in their professional sailing careers, with the announcement of their entry into the SailGP circuit.

As clearly implied, when you consider what the America's Cup has become under the wrinkly, sticky hands of GD - SailGP is truly a "significant step" UP for them in their careers...

AC_ssdumpsterfire.png

Racing on the SailGP circuit offers Live Ocean Racing's sponsors access to a worldwide audience of 1.8billion, in more than 100 territories - based on Season 1 media impact. To date, SailGP has sailed in six major cities - Sydney, San Francisco, New York, Cowes and the final in Marseille. SailGP attracted over 130,000 shore-based spectators, in their first season.

Heh.

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Burling and Tuke outline ambitious plan for 2021 America's Cup, Olympics and SailGP

https://www.sail-world.com/news/230834/Burling-and-Tuke-set-course-for-a-big-year-in-2021

SGP finally resembles the EXSS during its best times, but with less friendly organizing staff. It will be interesting how the second season pans out, now that it accumulated so much AC talent.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

I like this part...

As clearly implied, when you consider what the America's Cup has become under the wrinkly, sticky hands of GD - SailGP is truly a "significant step" UP for them in their careers...

AC_ssdumpsterfire.png

Heh.

How do you feel knowing SailGP is not only riding the coat tails of the Americas Cup, but now needs its talent to survive? 

37 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

It will be interesting how the second season pans out, now that it accumulated so much AC talent.

Given the start-stop cycle of the AC, it’s little wonder that the world’s top foiling talent all want to be in on SGP. Nice too that GD and Shoebie are in full support. 

I’m skeptical the SF will happen in April but certainly hope so, it’s a great time of year for sailing the Bay, as are several other months of set-your-clock perfect wind conditions in a truly iconic location. It’s also about halfway between EUR, NZ/AUS and Asia. 

It’s going to be freaking cooking today in the PNW, hottest day of the year and not a breath of wind. 95F/35C. Us natives are freaking out! :D 

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

Fuck that is some selective reading of the fucking article Smack. The 'hottest property' is clearly referring to Tuke and Burling and not SailGP. 

Edit; Funny you didnt include this beauty of a quote too;

"It's always been Russell's ambition to have a Kiwi team represented in the League. It just happened that COVID-19 shifted the League dates and it lined up with our schedules, so it was a great opportunity for everyone," he adds.

They literally only did it cause 'hey we're not doing anything at that time , wanna go teach these guys how to sail these?"

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TimmyHate said:

Fuck that is some selective reading of the fucking article Smack. The 'hottest property' is clearly referring to Tuke and Burling and not SailGP. 

Edit; Funny you didnt include this beauty of a quote too;

They literally only did it cause 'hey we're not doing anything at that time , wanna go teach these guys how to sail these?"

Hey I'm just quoting the article. Take it up with your own chap, Clownwell, if you don't like the gist. As always, schedules have to align. But don't forget this other stuff you're leaving out of your own selective reading...

"In the beginning, like the majority of the teams, we are underwritten by the League, which is helpful to get us up and running. SailGP gives us a secure platform to go out and bring in partners so we can be a financially independent team.", he added.

Think about that one for a moment. If you're them, do you want to live your life under Ahmed's keffiyeh and the wrinkly/sticky thumb of GD? Or do you want a pathway to doing your own thing as a "financially independent team"?

"We've known Russell a long time and have a lot of respect for him," Tuke comments. "We made it clear to him that we were interested in the League. Things just progressed from there."

"SailGP is something that has excited us since its inception," Tuke says.

"Season 1 was something we followed closely and enjoyed watching like everyone else. It offers close racing in boats that are very similar to what we raced in Bermuda. We have been thinking about the opportunity for a little bit, but more so in the past few months."

"We've got a plan now as to how it will all work best, and we're looking forward to going out and executing," Burling says.

Where else are sailors at the pinnacle of the sport getting that opportunity? And...

"COVID-19 has put a spanner in the works of world professional sport. But this has been a great opportunity that has come up, and we are looking forward to growing the sport in New Zealand," Burling explains.

"There is going to be a lot more professional sailing showcased on TV which is going to give inspiration and create pathways for young kiwis interested in yachting to keep coming through the sport - that is super important for us as leaders of the team.."

Hmmm. No mention of the YAC.

Not so selective, eh? There's more, but I think you get the picture. My Auckland billboard is starting to look like a really smart investment...

billboard.png

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

It’s going to be freaking cooking today in the PNW, hottest day of the year and not a breath of wind. 95F/35C. Us natives are freaking out! :D 

So you're not a S'African now? It's so confusing......

26 minutes ago, TimmyHate said:

What's their handicap - has anyone heard yet?

55 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

billboard.png

TE ran that slide in a recent SI episode momentarily among others, purely for a fun laugh. Clever! 

8 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

TE ran that slide in a recent SI episode momentarily among others, purely for a fun laugh. Clever! 

Which raises the obvious question: Has anyone ever seen TE, Stingray and Smackdaddy in the same room??? :o

2 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

I like this part...

AC_ssdumpsterfire.png

Heh.

And yet I haven't watched a single SailGP race. Still, that might change now the real tier1 sailors have arrived.

2 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Which raises the obvious question: Has anyone ever seen TE, Stingray and Smackdaddy in the same room??? :o

Don’t know SD personally that I know of but a classic SAAC hookup one eve at the LBYC was me, TE and.... 

MAHGUAH!  :D :D :D 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, weta27 said:

MAHGUAH!

YES, WE DO MISS ALL THOSE LONG QUASI-LEGAL DIATRIBES

NATIVE AMERICAN

BIG

INTERNATIONAL TREATIES

OF ALL KINDS

:D 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Don’t know SD personally that I know of but a classic SAAC hookup one eve at the LBYC was me, TE and.... 

Pictures or it didn't happen.

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

And yet I haven't watched a single SailGP race. Still, that might change now the real tier1 sailors have arrived.

It has bursts of beauty. Problem was disparity in skill levels.  That is narrowing :)

22 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Pictures or it didn't happen.

I have pics ;) 

The waterfront restaurant dinner and drinks that preceded the YC event were fun too. Another SAAC friend, from Anacortes, flew down there with me, to an airport only 10 mins away. We talked TE into giving us a ride down the coast in his then-brand new Beemer later that night to SD, where the next morning we got a sworn-to-secrecy preview of ‘something that rhymed with “thing” ‘ Brilliant fun! 

Does anyone else here remember DZ’s first outing with that monster wing? It was from a cam above the inner harbor, blew everybody’s minds. 

• Like 1

I have pics of me and Khal Drogo riding through the Grass Sea but unless I post them didn't happen. ;) 

3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Whatever happened to MAHGUAH ? Just checked his profile and he hasn't poked his nose in here for over a year and a half.

Looking fast!!

21 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Te Aihe out in a good breeze today

Screenshot_20200817-114818.png

The turns at 5:00, 6:44 and 8:10 are something else!

ETNZ seems to have cut their day quite short and have headed back to base under tow (on foils).

Great video as always Mike.

Te Ahmed looks seriously shaky and slow in the turn at 00:52. Then faceplant at 03:18 - and again at 03:22 - and at 03:29...but they looked a bit better after that. Must have turned the auto-controller on. But then it took them forever to get the windward foil up after the turn at 08:00.

Compare to DEFIANT today. Concerning.

Lots of work left to do if the Emiratis want to compete.

29 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Compare to DEFIANT today.

Most of the morning Defiant was stopped, working on something.

• Like 1

I arrived in St Heliers around midday to see ETNZ parked up near Rangi without a headsail. Soon after they had one up and started moving towards me:

DSC_1360.jpg

DSC_1375.jpg

DSC_1387.jpg

• Like 9

Then dropped the other foil and started a maneuver before getting the nose pretty high and eventually falling gracefully down into displacement mode:

DSC_1392.jpg

DSC_1394.jpg

DSC_1401.jpg

• Like 6

Then a couple of blokes appeared over the side looking down at the foil arm - maybe it didn't come back up in time to complete the move? Soon after there were people standing all over the place and they started to pack up - check the foiling kitesurfer off the stern having a chat in the last pic.

Apologies for the quality of the shots - they never really got close enough to do it properly and is a very grey Auckland day.

DSC_1419.jpg

DSC_1422.jpg

DSC_1442.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, mikenz2 said:

Screenshot_20200817-114818.png

Hard to get good speed numbers with the angles they are sailing, but got a few readings.  30-35 knots range.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2020 at 8:41 PM, Sea Breeze 74 said:

That is correct as it stands . The real issue is as we get closer to the election donny will become more desperate and who knows what he will try to pull off . As it stands now what you have stated would take some movement by congress to modify what is presently in place. He has already laid the groundwork to claim his upcoming loss will be due to a “ rigged “ election which he feels will at least save some face as well as give his cult something to scream about in the future . 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mikenz2 said:

It had a bit of boogie on through Rangi Channel...

10 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

Lot of chase ribs out there - LR and Ineos information hunters & gatherers??:lol:

1 minute ago, Indio said:

Lot of chase rubs out there - LR and Ineos information hunters & gatherers??:lol:

Sort of says a bit. AM don't seem to have the issue of chase boats of other teams tripping over each other in hot pursuit...

1 minute ago, NZL3481 said:

Sort of says a bit. AM don't seem to have the issue of chase boats of other teams tripping over each other in hot pursuit...

I'm guessing AM would probably be one of the info gathering ribs following Te Aihe.

3 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

There sure looks like a red ringed NZ chase boat following AM around in the last video.

37 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

There sure looks like a red ringed NZ chase boat following AM around in the last video.

They all do it - be crazy not to.

• Like 1

Slight thread drift...

Interesting that Burling and Tuke have SAP onboard as sponsors for their 49er campaign and possibly SailGP - that's Hasso Platner's company and he's a very active sailor with a 52 Super Series team (Phoenix) and Cape 31s in SA. I wonder if once the AC and Olympics are out of the way we might see the boys pop-up on Phoenix at a regatta or two....