Salty Seacock

Emirates Team New Zealand.

4 hours ago, barfy said:

3 minutes to read? Is there more? Linky?

NZ Herald readers are largely illiterate, as I’m sure many non kiwis here will attest. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

If you haven't seen it yet, https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12358613

Report to go to gummint as early as tomorrow. Action, outcome likely by end of month, ie in one week.  Don't hold your breath.

The cheques will resume on 1st September with the only changes being more detailed reporting to Auckland Council and MBIE by ACE under existing agreements. And hopefully a criminal referral to SFO over Mayo&Calder.

Poor NZH will be publishing more q-anon conspiracies now their "scoop" of the year will have been flushed down the toilet...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

I looked and couldn’t find that team entered in the last cup? 

Given that your being oh so hilarious you obviously mean Land Rover BAR, they did just as well as the ABs at the last rugby World Cup. 

Ouch :blink:. We did not deserve to win anything after losing to your mob!

Has This been posted before amazing..! He gets in trouble for cutting TNZ's out of bounds space???

6 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Has This been posted before amazing..! He gets in trouble for cutting TNZ's out of bounds space???

It has been posted/discussed elsewhere, I think the NYYC thread

Just noticed the kite boarder goes between two RIBs, the one on the right has lots of red but the left one does not. Did he obstruct one of the spy RIBs?

30 minutes ago, Rushman said:

It has been posted/discussed elsewhere, I think the NYYC thread

Just noticed the kite boarder goes between two RIBs, the one on the right has lots of red but the left one does not. Did he obstruct one of the spy RIBs?

I posted it in the NYYC thread also because it involves both boats

7 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I posted it in the NYYC thread also because it involves both boats

I see that, you must have missed the first posting where the conversation was around Nick Reeve’s world ranking of 122

48 minutes ago, Rushman said:

I see that, you must have missed the first posting where the conversation was around Nick Reeve’s world ranking of 122

Obviously.! 

2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Obviously.! 

Ya didn't miss much. Jhazmat off his meds, kite boy pretty loose in Auckland L3.

Out

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Hey, popov. Just out of interest, since we are speculating, any thoughts, rumours or otherwise on what upwind vectors (degrees to true wind direction) these AC75's may be capable of sailing? 

No clues for me (only forums and social media material) in terms of raw data.

The only thing that I heard (and confirmed elsewhere) is that Britania is not at the level expected. 

@popov  Britannia's level - is the 'lower than expected' relative to the other teams or INEOS' own internal expectations? 

The last few clips I'd seen of the INEOS boat and the improvements in deck sweeper shape etc had me thinking they may have made some decent strides forward...

44 minutes ago, NZK said:

@popov  Britannia's level - is the 'lower than expected' relative to the other teams or INEOS' own internal expectations? 

Both, I would say. Given the faith placed in the sims to predict, they might have higher targets which appeared to correspond with the speeds they observed for their opponents.

9 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

NZ Herald readers are largely illiterate, as I’m sure many non kiwis here will attest. 

Kindly explain how a “reader” can be “largely illiterate.”  It appears your own understanding of the language isn’t quite as impressive as you think. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, popov said:

Both, I would say. Given the faith placed in the sims to predict, they might have higher targets which appeared to correspond with the speeds they observed for their opponents.

Currently team USA is a fat arse dragger with no stability, the Italian boat bits fall off it, Ineos has no performance and everything is absolutely perfect with team kiwi (ignoring the capsize, the splashdowns and still messing around with foil development) 

so with that rather tongue in cheek assessment of all the teams based on the current SA wisdom none of the teams have smashed it out of the park have they. 

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Kindly explain how a “reader” can be “largely illiterate.”  It appears your own understanding of the language isn’t quite as impressive as you think. :D

You'll see that I wrote "readers", the plural of the word "reader", which you've used.  "Largely" is a synonym for "predominantly", meaning a high percentage, suggesting that readers of the NZ Herald are predominantly illiterate.  I hope that spells it out for you.  It's good to learn.

It was, of course, a joke aimed at the quality of the NZ Herald, which is often the butt of jokes about shit journalism, and the fact that their target audience is poorly educated.  That, in itself, is self deprecating, which you often find in kiwi humor (we tend not to take ourselves too seriously), but then I threw in an additional bone for the non-kiwis here, pouring cold water on the inevitable jokes about how the quality of NZ Herald readers is representative of the population as a whole.  This appears to be a line of humor that you, and those who have liked your post, have failed to identify or at least pursue.

Perhaps you're not as funny as you think?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

You'll see that I wrote "readers", the plural of the word "reader", which you've used.  "Largely" is a synonym for "predominantly", meaning a high percentage, suggesting that readers of the NZ Herald are predominantly illiterate.  I hope that spells it out for you.  It's good to learn.

It was, of course, a joke aimed at the quality of the NZ Herald, which is often the butt of jokes about shit journalism, and the fact that their target audience is poorly educated.  That, in itself, is self deprecating, which you often find in kiwi humor (we tend not to take ourselves too seriously), but then I threw in an additional bone for the non-kiwis here, pouring cold water on the inevitable jokes about how the quality of NZ Herald readers is representative of the population as a whole.  This appears to be a line of humor that you, and those who have liked your post, have failed to identify or at least pursue.

Perhaps you're not as funny as you think?

Nice attempt to correct me. I understand that it was a joke, but you failed miserably. I was just having a little well intentioned fun pointing out the fail. Hell, I’ve done it a million times!  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Well since Alchy got his panties in a bunch over an old photo, I figured I better post something recent lol

So you do not see the issue of just randomly posting 10 month old pics while readers are looking for the latest news?  You are free to go ahead and post what ever you want, but please put it in contact for other readers.

2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

...the fact that their target audience is poorly educated.  That, in itself, is self deprecating, which you often find in kiwi humor (we tend not to take ourselves too seriously)...

You go from douchebag mentality - which has been de rigueur by the Kiwis around here, then to the part in bold....which is actually the punchline judging by the Kiwis around here.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

So you do not see the issue of just randomly posting 10 month old pics while readers are looking for the latest news?  You are free to go ahead and post what ever you want, but please put it in contact for other readers.

And you need to chill the hell out. I'm certainly no fan of any KiWhingerTM around here - but you are seriously outwhinging everyone. People can post whatever the hell they want. Stop crying.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Currently team USA is a fat arse dragger with no stability, the Italian boat bits fall off it, Ineos has no performance and everything is absolutely perfect with team kiwi (ignoring the capsize, the splashdowns and still messing around with foil development) 

so with that rather tongue in cheek assessment of all the teams based on the current SA wisdom none of the teams have smashed it out of the park have they. 

@The_Alchemist

you downvoted that? Ffs stop being precious 

I left off the bit about ineos destroying the planet, team USA is a giant ponzi scheme, the Italians use child labour to make hand bags and team kiwi are cleaning the cash for a regime that  Screw over  women/human rights. 

or is it only pro the home team news that’s acceptable and everyone else has a pact with satan? 

Fuckin funny around here this morning. It's like watching a street brawl. Who care what side you're on - just land a punch.

Ha, ha. I, love this place. :)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Fuckin funny around here this morning. It's like watching a street brawl. Who care what side you're on - just land a punch.

Ha, ha. I, love this place. :)

Oh this is normal for Auckland in a howling souwester.  really ETNZ should have disclosed that we all loop out here in these conditions.

4 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

@The_Alchemist

I left off the bit about ineos destroying the planet, team USA is a giant ponzi scheme, the Italians use child labour to make hand bags and team kiwi are cleaning the cash for a regime that  Screw over  women/human rights. 

or is it only pro the home team news that’s acceptable and everyone else has a pact with satan? 

Choice among Team Frackers, Prada Team Sweatshop, Amway Magic Pyramid Scheme, and Team Emirates "We ban FGM in state hospitals but not every where."

I deplore Trump, FGM as well,  not a fan of Jimmy, so I went with the Frackers last year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

@The_Alchemist

You sound like Frump.  

7 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

And you need to chill the hell out. I'm certainly no fan of any KiWhingerTM around here - but you are seriously outwhinging everyone. People can post whatever the hell they want. Stop crying.

The irony, you telling me not to post comments telling others spammers not to post something.

You can't make this shit up.....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The_Alchemist said:

The irony, you telling me not to post comments telling others spammers not to post something.

You can't make this shit up.....

That's right. When it's coming from me, you know you're over the line. So like I said, chill the hell out. Nobody owes you anything. And no one wants to hear you whinge.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

No. Its a fucking photo! And its relevant to the thread! I don't give a shit what "the readers"are looking for! And by the way, do you speak for all of "The readers"on here now do you? Instead of sneaking around downvoting photo's like a petty little girl, just accept people will post what ever they like, when ever they like, and no amount of instruction from you will change that. Harden up mate.

• Like 2

Finally got out on the boat this morning and got a wicked shot of Emirates Team New Zealand practicing in their new boat. 

20200824_185821.jpg

• Like 2

Is it just me or, is it just a little angry in here at the moment? Could it be that we're all suffering from Covid blues? Are we stressing about the US election, the Pandemic, the loss of freedom of movement, the inability to plan anything much other than what we eat next because everything is uncertain except for tax, sunrise and tides? 

The one thing that brings this fucked up dysfunctional family together is the love of sailing, sailing-technology and/or punching the shit out of each other with words about sailing proving that even the most annoying cunt of a thing in here can be funny and insightful at times. 

My advice? Burn one down and relax. We're born to die. Everything between is a bonus.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Is it just me or, is it just a little angry in here at the moment? Could it be that we're all suffering from Covid blues? Are we stressing about the US election, the Pandemic, the loss of freedom of movement, the inability to plan anything much other than what we eat next because everything is uncertain except for tax, sunrise and tides? 

The one thing that brings this fucked up dysfunctional family together is the love of sailing, sailing-technology and/or punching the shit out of each other with words about sailing proving that even the most annoying cunt of a thing in here can be funny and insightful at times. 

My advice? Burn one down and relax. We're born to die. Everything between is a bonus.

Had similar thoughts about the general mood here abouts, earlier today. Cabin fever, maybe?

15 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Finally got out on the boat this morning and got a wicked shot of Emirates Team New Zealand practicing in their new boat. 

20200824_185821.jpg

Far too many foils on that contraption. Very draggy.

1 hour ago, Salty Seacock said:

Just pissed off we're not going to have the North Vs South match any time soon.

16 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

If any of the teams actaully knew what they are doing it wouldn't be called "Research and Development". :)

This is what engineering and testing is all about: build stuff, make it work and then try to break it. Rinse and repeat, with new and improved bits and pieces. And yes, that does include splashdowns, bits falling off and especially funky manoeuvres to test and overstep the limits.

And I must say, all teams have done some amazing stuff, they all keep learning and improving. Can't wait how the second generation will perform!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

20200824_185821.jpg

What happened to the pics before that, when it passed you?  It's a bit hard to see from there, looks like a cat.

17 minutes ago, Grog said:

If any of the teams actaully knew what they are doing it wouldn't be called "Research and Development". :)

This is what engineering and testing is all about: build stuff, make it work and then try to break it. Rinse and repeat, with new and improved bits and pieces. And yes, that does include splashdowns, bits falling off and especially funky manoeuvres to test and overstep the limits.

And I must say, all teams have done some amazing stuff, they all keep learning and improving. Can't wait how the second generation will perform!

Look enough of this logic shit! ;-) 

what world are we living in if teams can’t magic up the perfect version right from the very start with no teething, development etc. I mean with the budgets everyone should be perfect!!! 

9 hours ago, Forourselves said:

No. Its a fucking photo! And its relevant to the thread! I don't give a shit what "the readers"are looking for! And by the way, do you speak for all of "The readers"on here now do you? Instead of sneaking around downvoting photo's like a petty little girl, just accept people will post what ever they like, when ever they like, and no amount of instruction from you will change that. Harden up mate.

You are missing the point!  

I really don't care what you post (except for having to scroll past all that shit to read what others have posted). 

I was just pointing out that "as a common curtesy to others", it is nice to note when you are just posting some of your historical fanboy pictures.  

Would hate to get you confused with the posters that provide real content.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grog said:

"Testing leads to failure and failure leads to understanding" -- Burt Rutan

Cheers,

Earl

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

You are missing the point!  

I really don't care what you post (except for having to scroll past all that shit to read what others have posted). 

I was just pointing out that "as a common curtesy to others", it is nice to note when you are just posting some of your historical fanboy pictures.  

I'm not missing the point. I just don't care what it is. The point is you're trying to act like the teacher or headmaster of the Forum while at the same time being a petty little girl.

"Courtesy"You know this is Sailing ANARCHY right? 

You obviously do care what I post because you go round down voting them all lol

You can point out what ever you like, but that doesn't mean I'm going to listen to it or do it.

Content? You mean like trying to tell everyone to be courteous of each other on here by providing captions for the photo's they post? lol Good luck with that

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

was just pointing out that "as a common curtesy to others", it is nice to note when you are just posting some of your historical fanboy pictures.  

This isn't real btw...thought you should know.

71QVr1cIs4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

4 minutes ago, barfy said:

This isn't real btw...thought you should know.

71QVr1cIs4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

So now you are posting your fanboy pics...lol.  

So, how long have the two of you dated? <_<

1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

So now you are posting your fanboy pics...lol.  

So, how long have the two of you dated? <_<

It's a common curtsey for ya.

12 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Just put it on ignore.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Had similar thoughts about the general mood here abouts, earlier today. Cabin fever, maybe?

Could be. Or, because of the closed Hamilton/Auckland border, no weed can get through to pacify the masses. 

What's the big issue with someone getting a down vote ? Does SA debit $100 from your bank account each time it happens or do you get an electric shock to your ball sack or something ? So many people get so upset by it. I just don't see why. Surely it's not just a personal pride thing and the thought of having to go to sleep at night knowing that someone clicked a down vote button makes you squeeze you teddy bear just that bit tighter or even leave the light on for the night ??

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

Could be. Or, because of the closed Hamilton/Auckland border, no weed can get through to pacify the masses. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

one guy bitching once is a 'big issue'?  kinda snowflake are you?

I wouldn't have raised it if it was only one guy bitching once. I've seen it often from multiple people since it came into play. I don't see the need to be concerning yourself about a down vote, that's all.

Joint Statement from Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment, Auckland Council, Emirates Team New Zealand Ltd and America’s Cup Event Ltd

26th August 2020

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE), in consultation with host partner Auckland Council, has completed its audit into allegations made against Emirates Team New Zealand Limited (ETNZ) and America’s Cup Event Limited (ACE).

The Beattie Varley report found that there was no evidence of financial impropriety or misappropriation of funds.

The report also found:

• there was no loan from ACE to ETNZ,
  • there was no fraud by ACE or ETNZ,
  • that no personal expenses of Grant Dalton or any other personnel were paid from Crown monies,
  • that there has been no financial impropriety of any nature.  

Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment Chief Executive Carolyn Tremain said, “While it’s excellent to confirm that there has been no financial impropriety and the escalation process has concluded, the Beattie Varley report had raised some concerns around record keeping relating to several historical matters.”

The process began after MBIE and Auckland Council (as Hosts) were made aware of claims relating to the organisation of the 36th America's Cup, which prompted an investigation by forensic accountants Beattie Varley and triggered an escalation process under the Host Venue Agreement.

“It was important to work through the audit process, and confirm that there was no financial impropriety or misappropriation of funds,” said Carolyn Tremain.

The matter regarding the third party fraud that ACE/ETNZ were a victim of has been satisfactorily resolved from MBIE’s perspective. MBIE are satisfied that any loss as a result of this scam won't be paid for by any Crown investment.

The Beattie Varley report noted that a contractual disagreement was outstanding, regarding whether the AC36 Event and Class Design Costs is a cost that should be borne by the event, and therefore, ultimately, by Crown investment. The Parties have agreed to go to mediation on this issue.  

Carolyn Tremain said “There is no wrongdoing in this regard and the processes for resolving contractual disagreements is well established and we look forward to continuing to work constructively together on this matter.  ETNZ and ACE have a different view from MBIE on whether the AC36 Event and Class Design Costs should be borne by the event.”

ETNZ and ACE CEO Grant Dalton said “With the departure of the previous event managers, we have undertaken a thorough review of our personnel and we have the team to deliver on the event. We have engaged experienced and respected senior event professionals to lead the Event preparations.”

Carolyn Tremain said “It is in all of our interests that we continue to work together to deliver a successful event. Hosts acknowledge the positive progress ACE has made with regard to delivery planning and resourcing. Our expectation is that operational matters will continue to be resolved at the project management level.

“The Crown is satisfied to reinstate investment and once the appropriate contractual deliverables have been met, the next payment under the HVA can be made.”

Carolyn Tremain said “The America’s Cup is an important event for Auckland and for New Zealand, and even more so as we work through and recover from the impacts of COVID-19. I look forward to working closely with ACE to deliver a world class event we can all be proud of.”

Sir Stephen Tindall, Chairman of ETNZ, said “We are pleased to have this behind us and ACE can now focus on putting on a great spectacle, and ETNZ on keeping the Cup in New Zealand.”

The summary findings of the report can be viewed HERE, as prepared by Beattie Varley.
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, An Interested Non-Sailor said:

Joint Statement from Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment, Auckland Council, Emirates Team New Zealand Ltd and America’s Cup Event Ltd

26th August 2020

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE), in consultation with host partner Auckland Council, has completed its audit into allegations made against Emirates Team New Zealand Limited (ETNZ) and America’s Cup Event Limited (ACE).

The Beattie Varley report found that there was no evidence of financial impropriety or misappropriation of funds.

The report also found:

• that no personal expenses of Grant Dalton or any other personnel were paid from Crown monies,

Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment Chief Executive Carolyn Tremain said, “While it’s excellent to confirm that there has been no financial impropriety and the escalation process has concluded, the Beattie Varley report had raised some concerns around record keeping relating to several historical matters.”

The process began after MBIE and Auckland Council (as Hosts) were made aware of claims relating to the organisation of the 36th America's Cup, which prompted an investigation by forensic accountants Beattie Varley and triggered an escalation process under the Host Venue Agreement.

“It was important to work through the audit process, and confirm that there was no financial impropriety or misappropriation of funds,” said Carolyn Tremain.

The matter regarding the third party fraud that ACE/ETNZ were a victim of has been satisfactorily resolved from MBIE’s perspective. MBIE are satisfied that any loss as a result of this scam won't be paid for by any Crown investment.

The Beattie Varley report noted that a contractual disagreement was outstanding, regarding whether the AC36 Event and Class Design Costs is a cost that should be borne by the event, and therefore, ultimately, by Crown investment. The Parties have agreed to go to mediation on this issue.  

Carolyn Tremain said “There is no wrongdoing in this regard and the processes for resolving contractual disagreements is well established and we look forward to continuing to work constructively together on this matter.  ETNZ and ACE have a different view from MBIE on whether the AC36 Event and Class Design Costs should be borne by the event.”

ETNZ and ACE CEO Grant Dalton said “With the departure of the previous event managers, we have undertaken a thorough review of our personnel and we have the team to deliver on the event. We have engaged experienced and respected senior event professionals to lead the Event preparations.”

Carolyn Tremain said “It is in all of our interests that we continue to work together to deliver a successful event. Hosts acknowledge the positive progress ACE has made with regard to delivery planning and resourcing. Our expectation is that operational matters will continue to be resolved at the project management level.

“The Crown is satisfied to reinstate investment and once the appropriate contractual deliverables have been met, the next payment under the HVA can be made.”

Carolyn Tremain said “The America’s Cup is an important event for Auckland and for New Zealand, and even more so as we work through and recover from the impacts of COVID-19. I look forward to working closely with ACE to deliver a world class event we can all be proud of.”

Sir Stephen Tindall, Chairman of ETNZ, said “We are pleased to have this behind us and ACE can now focus on putting on a great spectacle, and ETNZ on keeping the Cup in New Zealand.”

The summary findings of the report can be viewed HERE, as prepared by Beattie Varley.

As we said from the start, a storm in a teacup. Nothing to see here. The Herald won't like this at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, An Interested Non-Sailor said:

26th August 2020

The report also found:

As  pointed out earlier, nothing to see here. Good to see confirmation that Mayo & Calder are out somewhere trying to con someone else...

• Like 1

Oh dear that rather undermines one narrative that some have run doesn't it.

Lets get back to the sailing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zeusproject said:

Be some so called whistleblowers very long unemployed I’m tipping 

Mayo&Calder were NOT whistleblowers. They only tried to invoke whistleblower protection AFTER their contract was ripped up for providing information to an external party, contrary to their contract.

Good riddance - wouldn't be surprise if there is legal repercussion for them in the background.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

America's Cup allegations: Audit finds no wrongdoing at Team NZ

America's Cup allegations: Audit finds no wrongdoing at Team NZ

"Team New Zealand has been cleared of any impropriety or wrongdoing in an audit of how it has spent public money in creating the America’s Cup event for next year.

"However, a $3 million contribution to the team by its event arm America’s Cup Event Limited (ACE) towards creating the new foiling monohull class will go to mediation with the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).

“'I think it’s a tidy result, and I’m confident that we can explain it in mediation,' Sir Stephen Tindall, the chair of Team New Zealand, told Stuff on Wednesday

Well! That little distraction went away. But not without cost in time, effort and money to ETNZ and ACE in defending their actions in court and in the media.

The unremarked good news is that Mayo andCalder won't be returning any time soon to their imposing waterfront offices, while Dalts and his team can likely stay there through this defence, and the next one after they win this time,

8 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

"Team New Zealand has been cleared of any impropriety or wrongdoing in an audit of how it has spent public money in creating the America’s Cup event for next year.

"However, a $3 million contribution to the team by its event arm America’s Cup Event Limited (ACE) towards creating the new foiling monohull class will go to mediation with the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).

“'I think it’s a tidy result, and I’m confident that we can explain it in mediation,' Sir Stephen Tindall, the chair of Team New Zealand, told Stuff on Wednesday

Well! That little distraction went away. But not without cost in time, effort and money to ETNZ and ACE in defending their actions in court and in the media.

The unremarked good news is that Mayo andCalder won't be returning any time soon to their imposing waterfront offices, while Dalts and his team can likely stay there through this defence, and the next one after they win this time,

If Dalton has anything to do with it, Mayo & Calder will never run a sailing or motorsport event in NZ ever again. You never want to get on the wrong side of him, because you'll never come back from it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Flying Fish2 said:

How will Smackdaddy explain this result away?

With some degree of deluded comment. None of which will be actual.

24 minutes ago, Flying Fish2 said:

Most likely with an apology on his favourite billboard on Fanshaw St.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, An Interested Non-Sailor said:

Slightly saying the quiet bit loud there like the guy bought in to audit the border who said 'our job is to provide stability & confidence' rather than 'we will make sure shit is working as it should be' :ph34r:

43 minutes ago, An Interested Non-Sailor said:

This was the main bit that I found concerning in allegations, this should really be a thing with paid by Challenger(s) & Defender IMO.

If Host (ie Local & Central Govt) has to pay for development of the design they should have been allowed to veto the 5.5m draft requirement that contributed to making venue development so expensive.

1 hour ago, Indio said:

Mayo&Calder were NOT whistleblowers. They only tried to invoke whistleblower protection AFTER their contract was ripped up for providing information to an external party, contrary to their contract.

Good riddance - wouldn't be surprise if there is legal repercussion for them in the background.

Just saw One news and there is a legal repercussion. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, amc said:

Just saw One news and there is a legal repercussion. 

Great!!!

1 hour ago, hoom said:

So which one of the two groups of costs are you questioning - the AC36 Event costs or the Class Design Costs? The AC36 Event Design costs must be met by the event. The Class Design costs should be met by the Defender/CoR initially but should be an expense against the event for which Defender/CoR should be reimbursed.

6 minutes ago, Indio said:

So which one of the two groups of costs are you questioning

I see no reason why the Host has to pay for the design of the class.

The class is decided by the CoR with the Defender, is nothing to do with the Host unless the Host gets a say on the design eg '5.5m is too much draught, too much $$$ -> you must design something with lest draught' or 'use an existing class that doesn't need any design development'.

• Like 2

hmm i rather think the class rule is a legitimate expense of the event organisation . Will be interesting to see the  arguments for and against (but perhaps not so here!)) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hoom said:

I see no reason why the Host has to pay for the design of the class.

The class is decided by the CoR with the Defender, is nothing to do with the Host unless the Host gets a say on the design eg '5.5m is too much draught, too much $$$ -> you must design something with lest draught' or 'use an existing class that doesn't need any design development'.

You're not that naive surely?? The "Host" pays for the privilege of hosting AC36 (in this case Auckland City for hosting it in Auckland, and the government for hosting it in NZ), and ultimately what they pay is spent running the event, including the design of the vessel to be used. The fact that they're going into mediation over the $3-mil costs of designing the AC75 is simply a formal process to agree on one of the core costs of hosting the event which may not have been specified or detailed in the Hosting Agreement.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, breezie said:

hmm i rather think the class rule is a legitimate expense of the event organisation . Will be interesting to see the  arguments for and against (but perhaps not so here!)) 

There are no reasonable or sensible arguments against it. Even the National Party are wisely staying out of it - but don't count on Social Credit remnants to do the same:D

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Wonder what Tom Ehman will say about this lol 

Nobody gives a flying fuck about his opinion.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

"One hears"lol 

The trolls have dispersed. The news is in as expected. Order emerges from the chaos...

Long may TC stay on his fucking holiday! ;-)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

The trolls have dispersed. The news is in as expected. Order emerges from the chaos...

And NZH is social-distancing themselves from the decision. Nothing on their site ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flying Fish2 said:

Is there any significance in the timing of Smackdaddy's decision to leave SA earlier today?

Has anyone ever seen Smackdaddy and Mayo & Calder in the same room?????

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Is there any significance in the timing of Smackdaddy's decision to leave SA earlier today?

Has anyone ever seen Smackdaddy and Mayo & Calder in the same room?????

Did he really bail?

43 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

And it's high time our own NZ expert Stinkrat takes a hike Holiday. Must be busy packing, to join T-Rat.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, astro said:

Did he really bail?

"So, as I said above. I'll save you the trouble and go elsewhere.

It's all yours."

- Smackdaddy, on the NYYC thread earlier today

1 hour ago, Indio said:

And NZH is social-distancing themselves from the decision. Nothing on their site ...

It’s buried in the business section.  Found it about a hour ago.  Was not long on the “front page “ of their site for long.   To quote A Few Good Men movie quote “ you can’t handle the truth...” So they bury the truth. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, weta27 said:

"So, as I said above. I'll save you the trouble and go elsewhere.

It's all yours."

- Smackdaddy, on the NYYC thread earlier today

Well that's a fucking shame.

Said no one ever.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 4:32 PM, NZL3481 said:

If there's any potential blowback on the Government for not being more careful as to how it oversees taxpayers money being spent, then don't expect it to be released until after the election...

Really?