Sign in to follow this  
cbulger

Nacra17/49er Worlds - where's the love??

Pretty frequent reader and occasional poster (sp?) on this site.   We have the best sailors in the world racing in the Nacra 17/49er/49erfx Worlds right now - these classes represent the ultimate in Athletic Sailing - and I guess the Olympics have some relevance - AND unless the search function is broken, there is zero chatter on this site. 

Have we (Americans) lost all interest in the athletic side of sailing?

The escalation in the average sailor's age, the seemingly repetitious nature of such sailing, and some other things come to mind as being responsible. Small boat racing seems to be pretty "ehh" invoking to me.

I guess that kind of sailing is really only interesting to a statistically insignificant number of people in the sport, of which a statistically insignificant number are on this forum.

My kids love it, then people seem to grow out of it.

22 minutes ago, cbulger said:

Pretty frequent reader and occasional poster (sp?) on this site.   We have the best sailors in the world racing in the Nacra 17/49er/49erfx Worlds right now - these classes represent the ultimate in Athletic Sailing - and I guess the Olympics have some relevance - AND unless the search function is broken, there is zero chatter on this site. 

Have we (Americans) lost all interest in the athletic side of sailing?

the link to the event is on the front page.

https://sailinganarchy.com/2019/12/06/nacra-17-49er-49erfx-world-championship-auckland-nzl-day-4-olympic-nation-qualification-berths-for-usa-in-sight-in-all-three-classes/