TBW

Kite Skiing?

I live beside a good sized river, the section I am on is navigable for about 125 miles.  During the warmer months, I sail on it.  Its frozen solid now.  1/2 ton trucks towing ice fishing huts.

I have been wanting to try ice sailing for years, but have always been turned off by the size and complexity of the kit.

Then, I saw a video on Youtube of kite skiing.  Any one do this?  Looks like an awesome way to go sailing in the winter.

What do I need to get started?  I have an arsenal of skis and snow boards, so no problem there.

Would a simple $100 kite off amazon be enough to get me started?

On 12/8/2019 at 12:55 PM, TBW said:

I live beside a good sized river, the section I am on is navigable for about 125 miles.  During the warmer months, I sail on it.  Its frozen solid now.  1/2 ton trucks towing ice fishing huts.

I have been wanting to try ice sailing for years, but have always been turned off by the size and complexity of the kit.

Then, I saw a video on Youtube of kite skiing.  Any one do this?  Looks like an awesome way to go sailing in the winter.

What do I need to get started?  I have an arsenal of skis and snow boards, so no problem there.

Would a simple $100 kite off amazon be enough to get me started?

Basic kiteboarding kit minus the board should do. I suggest kitting your self as if doing race (helmet, body armour – especially hips) etc.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KC375 said:

Basic kiteboarding kit minus the board should do. I suggest kitting your self as if doing race (helmet, body armour – especially hips) etc.

I'm no expert but in my limited experience - you really want to tune up your skis - think prolonged periods in superG turn, more fun if you can hold an edge.

• Like 1

I’ve snow kited a long time. 
 Great fun!

Actually use my snowboard most of the time now. 

Really need open spaces though. 
 10+ acres open, unless it’s not tree lined