T sailor

Hydra 2000 MHU

To the electronics experts here:  Are any of the new B and G MHU's compatible with an older H2000 Hydra processor?  The boat i am buying has a bad MHU, and I'm trying to figure out my options.  I know i can buy new parts and fix the existing unit, but at that point I've almost bought a new WS 300 series unit so trying to determine if that is a better option.  I've read some info that the WS 310 can be either 0183 or with the converter NMEA 2K.  Would the 0183 output work with the Hydra processor?  would really like to figure out how to use the WS 320 (wireless) unit and also add a newer rate gyro compass (Airmar H2183) but not sure if there is a good way to make these work.  Just trying to figure out a migration path forward without having to bit the big one and do a full H5000 system.

Another  option would be to buy a Triton setup now and then add a processor and more displays as budgets allow.  

I don't want to spend a ton on electronics right now as I have bigger fish to fry, but would like to make sure the money that I do need to spend is spent well.  

Input is appreciated.  

H2000 CPU only works with a 213 MHU. Just buy the parts and you will have a MHU ready for at least 12 months use. The 213 is a high precision setup which is still used with the latest h5000 CPUs. The other nmea2000 MHUs are not as accurate and cheaper lower level instruments.

depending how many bells and whistles you want, a well maintained and calibrated h2000 instruments is still a great system

Agree with Chucky, an internal PCB replacement, and vane and cups new bearings and you have a good MHU.

Regarding the compass, which one have you got now? The Super Halcyon 3 was replaced by the Halcyon 2000 for the late systems, now discontinued.

I believe it is the basic Halcyon fluxgate from around 1999.  

Looks like Myles is out of service, so where else to get the parts for the mhu?

Set heading node to 96 to address the NMEA input.  Best is a GPS compass, but they are bulky and expensive. Getting heading data from NMEA might work poorly with a pilot though, depending on update rate.

/LeCanard

Would any of the newer NMEA compasses work with that trick LeCanard? The boat in question doesn't have a pilot, so it would be used for computing TWA and current only.

Yes, any decent Compass with an NMEA0183 output will work, The h2000 can read both HDM ( magnetic heading) and HDT (true heading.

For TWA (angle) you would need only a well calibrated boatspeed, it's for TWD (direction) the heading is needed.

Those whe aren't interested in deeper thoughts can stop reading now.

There are four ways to connect a Compass to the h2000.  1: the differential sin/cos as the Super Halcyon 3 uses . 2:via the Fastnet bus, for example  the Halcyon2000. 3: As "internal Compass"; i.e. connected in the autopilot processor, if applicable. And 4: via the NMEA FFD. At installation, the heading node needs to be selected ( default is 5, the wind PCB) so that the system knows where from it is to extract the heading information.

The Super Halcyon 3, Halcyon2000, the Internal heading sensor and even the KVH "rate gyro"-thingie are all magnetic sensors, needed to be placed with care, compensated and affected by the magnetic field inclination and heaving. Whatever clever methods the manufacurers have to explain the contrary, in the end, it comes down to a tiny coil sensing the planets weak magnetic field. The since long time dead Seafarer Company  actually made a rotating gyro sensor to compensate the magnetic compass, but that never was a success) 

That leaves us with two ways of finding the geographic North pole, a gyro Compass ( not to be mixed up with rate sensors which are accelerometers) and secondly, a GPS Compass. Both of those do the job perfectly. ( those of you who fly, knows the pressesion, which causes the gyro to wander, but on full size gyros, that is compensated for). Gyro compasses are big, Heavy and expensive in both buying and maintenence. The only gyro Compass I stumbled upon on a sail boat was on a Swan 651 ( feeding a Hercules390), eons ago.  A GPS compass is a lot more precise and once installed, it just works. Still expensive and a bit bulky, but a lot lighter. That's why I brought it up earlier.

sorry for messing things up even more

/LeCanard

link doesnt work for me

Some of those interfaces seems inspired of the ones Richard ( Tinley) makes....

On 12/24/2019 at 3:15 AM, A+T Instruments said:

We stock and make all the replacement parts for 213 MHU.  This is still the best and only way to take wind into H2000. See www.AandTinsruments.

Are you the guys that were the official official B&G service agents, located at Berthon's in Lymington, quite a while ago?  Looks very much like it.

Asking for a friend...