Sign in to follow this  
Skullislandraceteam

Finn Sailors Dropping Out

If there are those in the know:

I see  that the Finn Gold cup has  69 boats registered which seems low?  Is that because it’s in Australia and therefore hard for European and North American sailors to get there?

Or are Finn sailors who won’t be going to the olympics or don’t have a chance to still qualify packing it in because there is no Finn class in 2024?

2011 - Finn Gold Cup - Perth, Australia - 72 boats
https://www.finnclass.org/racing/results-archive/finn-gold-cup/61-results/finn-gold-cup/322-2011-finn-gold-cup-perth-australia

2015 - Finn Gold Cup - Takapuna, New Zealand - 75 boats
https://www.finnclass.org/61-results/finn-gold-cup/841-2015-finn-gold-cup-takapuna-new-zealand

Nothing to see here. Move along.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skullislandraceteam said:

If there are those in the know:

I see  that the Finn Gold cup has  69 boats registered which seems low?  Is that because it’s in Australia and therefore hard for European and North American sailors to get there?

Or are Finn sailors who won’t be going to the olympics or don’t have a chance to still qualify packing it in because there is no Finn class in 2024?

Off topic, but good stuff you are doing with Skull Island Race Team. I have a place at Shediac Cape myself.     

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skullislandraceteam said:

Basically. If it was in Central Europe it would be 100+.

There are four slots left, to be given at the 2019 Gold Cup, 2020 Miami OCR, whatever WS decides the "African" championship will be, and the 2020 Gold Cup in Palma. If I'm not mistaken, by the quota system, the top performing country from Oceania at the Gold Cup will qualify, but since the Kiwis already qualified it's basically just a formality for the Aussies. The more interesting story will be the North American and African Qualifiers, and the last spot at Palma. The US and Canada have already qualified, so if Bermuda/Mexico/Cuba/Greenland beat each other in Miami they get to go to Tokyo, and then we get to see what WS's interpretation of Africa is. My bet is that they will include Western Asia, so Ahmad Ahmadi from Iran will get to go and there will be great media hullabaloo, but WS has never really been held to logic so it might end up being Switzerland. Finally that last spot in Palma is up for grabs, and historically good performers (Croatia, France, Germany, Poland, Finland, Czech, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, Denmark) have not yet qualified, so that will definitely be a good fight to watch.

Is that because it’s in Australia

Yes.

good thread tho

3 hours ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

Basically. If it was in Central Europe it would be 100+.

There are four slots left, to be given at the 2019 Gold Cup, 2020 Miami OCR, whatever WS decides the "African" championship will be, and the 2020 Gold Cup in Palma. If I'm not mistaken, by the quota system, the top performing country from Oceania at the Gold Cup will qualify, but since the Kiwis already qualified it's basically just a formality for the Aussies. The more interesting story will be the North American and African Qualifiers, and the last spot at Palma. The US and Canada have already qualified, so if Bermuda/Mexico/Cuba/Greenland beat each other in Miami they get to go to Tokyo, and then we get to see what WS's interpretation of Africa is. My bet is that they will include Western Asia, so Ahmad Ahmadi from Iran will get to go and there will be great media hullabaloo, but WS has never really been held to logic so it might end up being Switzerland. Finally that last spot in Palma is up for grabs, and historically good performers (Croatia, France, Germany, Poland, Finland, Czech, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, Denmark) have not yet qualified, so that will definitely be a good fight to watch.

Damn, man, you know your Finn facts!

Who do you think is gonna win this one?

3 hours ago, barney said:

Damn, man, you know your Finn facts!

Who do you think is gonna win this one?

Hard to say.

Giles Scott (GBR) certainly has a target on his back. Reigning Gold medalist, won the last four Gold Cups until he sat the last two out to go do the America's Cup thing.

Giles is not unbeatable, though, Nic Heiner (NED) and Zsombor Berecz (HUN) did better at the Olympic Test Event, Berecz won the 2018 Gold Cup and hasn't been outside the top 5 this year. Andy Maloney (NZL) came out swinging and won the Princess Sofia and finished second at the Europeans, but he hasn't been around for much of the rest of the season because of his ETNZ commitments.

If I worked in Vegas I'd say some combination of those four will be the Tokyo Medalists. As for the Gold Cup, all the campaigners including the named four will be there. Max Salminen (SWE) won Gold in the Star with Freddy Loof in 2012 and then won the 2017 Gold Cup so he hasn't been put out to pasture yet, Jake Lilley (AUS) is the hometown favorite and won the last ISAF Melbourne regatta in 2016 and there's something to be said for home field advantage. Ed Wright (GBR) is the most boringly consistent guy in the Finn; it's rare for him to be outside the top ten even in off years; if he hadn't been runner-up to Sir Ben or Giles for so much of his career he'd be a demigod in any other country. Jorge Zarif (BRA) is the only man alive who has held the Silver Cup (U23 Worlds) and Gold Cup simultaneously, he won the 2018 Star Worlds and has both been coached by and trained against Robert Scheidt himself. Anders Pedersen (NOR) has consistently punched above his weight, as has Facundo Olezza (ARG).

• Like 1

The CAN Finn sailors have been at the regatta site practicing for a long time now. You could  the convince them the class is dying. 
fyi: the daily videos and comments from the coach’s Facebook page are wonderful 

On 12/9/2019 at 8:31 PM, onepointfivethumbs said:

Max Salminen (SWE) won Gold in the Star with Freddy Loof in 2012 and then won the 2017 Gold Cup so he hasn't been put out to pasture yet, 

Max is still a kid 

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Max is still a kid 

I guess age is relative ;) He won in Miami this year but the rest of the season hasn't been too great. 

• Like 2

On 12/13/2019 at 6:21 AM, onepointfivethumbs said:

I guess age is relative ;) He won in Miami this year but the rest of the season hasn't been too great. 

wonderful footage of finn sailing, thank you! such an old-fashioned boat (akin to the Star), but a lot of fun in a breeze - and if the numbers are there, provides close tactical racing. to me the finn was always too heavy and too much boat for so many of us.

48 minutes ago, antskip said:

wonderful footage of finn sailing, thank you! such an old-fashioned boat (akin to the Star), but a lot of fun in a breeze - and if the numbers are there, provides close tactical racing. to me the finn was always too heavy and too much boat for so many of us.

The current iteration of hulls and masts is the most powered-up the Finn has ever been; everybody at the top of the game is over 1.8M tall and 90+kg, many coming close to 2m/100kg. Many Star sailors were Finn sailors in an earlier life and there’s a quite a bit of cross-pollination between the two.

• Like 1

Current standings going into the Medal Race:

Andy Maloney NZL 30

Nicholas Heiner NED 46

Zsombor Berecz HUN 49

Giles Scott GBR 51

Andy Maloney NZL 61

Jake Lilley AUS 70 (Also qualifies Australia for Enoshima 2020)

Tom Ramshaw CAN 75

Nenad Bugarin CRO 82

Joan Cardona ESP 86

Alican Kaynar TUR 92

On 12/21/2019 at 3:27 AM, Jethrow said:

I think you meant Josh Junior in first (and spoiler alert, he won!)

Whoops. Yes, JJ won!

I wonder if that is causing the TNZ selection committee to rethink Andy's nomination to Tokyo.

On 12/9/2019 at 5:03 AM, tillerman said:

2011 - Finn Gold Cup - Perth, Australia - 72 boats
https://www.finnclass.org/racing/results-archive/finn-gold-cup/61-results/finn-gold-cup/322-2011-finn-gold-cup-perth-australia

2015 - Finn Gold Cup - Takapuna, New Zealand - 75 boats
https://www.finnclass.org/61-results/finn-gold-cup/841-2015-finn-gold-cup-takapuna-new-zealand

Nothing to see here. Move along.

139 entries to date for the 2020 World Masters.  Not bad, 6 months out from the regatta

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 9:42 PM, some dude said:

139 entries to date for the 2020 World Masters.  Not bad, 6 months out from the regatta

Got my entry in last week. Expect at least as many as in Spain in 2018. 350 boats, top ever was 355 in Lake Garda.
Some think it might break the record this year. Looking forward to it. 

• Like 1