Sign in to follow this  
Ed Lada

All of These DTS Threads

I noticed that almost 10% of the threads on the first page here are DTS threads.

I realize there are a lot of Boomers here, I am one of them.  

It's getting to the point that were aging into the time where the first Boomers are dying off, with many more to follow.  It is a well known fact that everyone that has ever lived, is currently alive, or will be born in the future, will at some point, die.  Take the big dirt nap as it were.  It's kind of a natural phenomena.  I also realize that we all recognize this phenomena, but when we get into our 60s and beyond, it becomes personal and heightens our awareness of our inevitable mortality.  Get used to it, it's gonna happen sooner rather than later for most of us.

There will be more and more celebrities and the like that we loved, admired, and grew up with, passing on, and I fear that GA will become nothing but a giant repository of obituary and condolence threads.  Perhaps at least there could just be one mega DTS thread to deposit all of this for those of you who feel the need to share the passing of the ever growing number of dead folks.

Just a thought.  OK Boomers?

• Like 1

FWIW, Caroll Spinney (my thread below) was a member of the Silent Generation, and his greatest impact was on Gen Xers (like me) and Millennials...

Then I gess the stnderde DTS salutte ist fine.                       :)

(Ed is juste tryning to consollidatte thinges, organizatione, saveng space, and hopfalley sipone off a fiew vowelles to hisse adoptted homeland.  Nothenf trickey, juste an evereyday  QPQ  :)  )

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I noticed that almost 10% of the threads on the first page here are DTS threads.

It's getting to the point that were aging into the time where the first Boomers are dying off, with many more to follow.  It is a well known fact that everyone that has ever lived, is currently alive, or will be born in the future, will at some point, die.  Take the big dirt nap as it were.  It's kind of a natural phenomena.  I also realize that we all recognize this phenomena, but when we get into our 60s and beyond, it becomes personal and heightens our awareness of our inevitable mortality.  Get used to it, it's gonna happen sooner rather than later for most of us.

There will be more and more celebrities and the like that we loved, admired, and grew up with, passing on, and I fear that GA will become nothing but a giant repository of obituary and condolence threads.  Perhaps at least there could just be one mega DTS thread to deposit all of this for those of you who feel the need to share the passing of the ever growing number of dead folks.

I always check the DTS threads first to make sure it's not me ( or you) they are talking about. :mellow:

• Like 1

*pedant alert*

Shit isn't dead.  It is full of bacteria.  It is quite alive. 

The expression "DTS" bugs me.  

*alert over*

5 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Get used to it, it's gonna happen sooner rather than later for most of us.

I've always had the feeling that God is going to make an exception in my case.

8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That wase in the workes, but wase talkled oute of  it                             :)

29 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You just keep on thinking that buddy, we all have those little delusions that help us deal with life.

Something has to fill the void created by declining interest in sailing. And since the median age of sailors has been steadily increasing for several decades, it's only appropriate that DTS threads would surface. I wonder what the median age of frequent SA posters is? Probably 50+...

1 hour ago, MidPack said:

Something has to fill the void created by declining interest in sailing. And since the median age of sailors has been steadily increasing for several decades, it's only appropriate that DTS threads would surface. I wonder what the median age of frequent SA posters is? Probably 50+...

Yeah, a lot of boomers, like I said in the OP.  

Whatever happened to Boomer?

9 hours ago, QBF said:

What about those who die who are not boomers, such as the recently dead Juice Wrld who was only 21?
https://www.wtnh.com/news/rapper-juice-wrld-dies-after-medical-emergency-in-chicago/

132331099_JuiceWRLD.jpg.e737572da25dcad94ad10ec6e58f48be.jpg

From the Chicago Tribune

“Federal agents and Chicago police were confiscating drugs and guns from luggage when rapper Juice Wrld suffered seizure at Midway, officials say”

Causation, correlation, coincidence or ???

10 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Will it keep you out of threads about actually sailing and in GA? If so I’m all for it. 

When is your expiration date? 

2 hours ago, Windward said:

Whatever happened to Boomer?

He's fine. Retired and on to other things, I guess. Boomer is still sailing.

• Like 1

I don't want a line in some lame ass generic thread, I want my very own DTS thread thank you very much!

B)

• Like 6

For those of us that avoid Wastebook, it is a way to share sentiments about the passing of Icons, or semi Icons (which are different than semi-colons, or vowels which are apparently in short supply in Poland)

I actually learn about the history of some diverse and interesting people, that I might not have otherwise heard of.

WL2

10 hours ago, Dorado said:

I always check the DTS threads first to make sure it's not me

“There are only two things to worry about, either you are
healthy or you are sick. If you are healthy, then there is nothing
to worry about. But if you are sick there are only two things to
worry about, either you will get well or you will die. If you get
well, then there is nothing to worry about. But if you die there
are only two things to worry about, either you will go to
heaven or to hell. If you go to heaven, then there is nothing to
worry about. And if you to go hell, you'll be so darn busy
shaking hands with your friends you won't have time to worry.”

Wolfgang Riebe 

• Like 1

I wake up every morning at nine and grab for the morning paper. Then I look at the obituary page. If my name is not on it, I get up.

Benjamin Franklin

12 hours ago, bugger said:

*pedant alert*

Shit isn't dead.  It is full of bacteria.  It is quite alive. 

The expression "DTS" bugs me.  

*alert over*

For you DTS can mean "Died too soon" :P

• Like 1

new entry:  Marie Fredriksson at age 61.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 12:46 PM, Ed Lada said:

I used to go to weddings and christenings...............now I tend to go to funerals. :unsure:

2 hours ago, mad said:

I used to go to weddings and christenings...............now I tend to go to funerals. :unsure:

I just don't go anywhere.  

Easier that way.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I just don't go anywhere.  

Easier that way.  

Do you read the obituaries? 

19 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

From the Chicago Tribune

“Federal agents and Chicago police were confiscating drugs and guns from luggage when rapper Juice Wrld suffered seizure at Midway, officials say”

Causation, correlation, coincidence or ???

Right after he died, the article I read just said he had seizures and that blood was pouring out of his mouth. Not a pleasant way to go.

47 minutes ago, QBF said:

Do you read the obituaries? 

No.  

If I really need to know that someone died, I would hear about it before an obit appeared.  

Apparently I don't share this obsession with death, especially strangers, that others here have.

33 minutes ago, QBF said:

Right after he died, the article I read just said he had seizures and that blood was pouring out of his mouth. Not a pleasant way to go.

Believe me, there are far more unpleasant ways.

On 12/9/2019 at 10:45 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

Sponsored by Overnight Caskets (yep it's a thing)

The page will need a Monitor.....somebody get Assman out of retirement please!

On 12/9/2019 at 8:29 AM, jewingiv said:

FWIW, Caroll Spinney (my thread below) was a member of the Silent Generation, and his greatest impact was on Gen Xers (like me) and Millennials...

Oscar rocks.

Sean Cody aka SC-Texas passed over Thanksgiving weekend. From what I gathered was a heart attack and/or car wreck. For old timers he was a legend in the gun threads and loved to troll with the limousine liberal stuff. Once I got to know him was a good guy and as an attorney did some very nice things for people in need.

He will be missed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Sean Cody aka SC-Texas passed over Thanksgiving weekend. From what I gathered was a heart attack and/or car wreck. For old timers he was a legend in the gun threads and loved to troll with the limousine liberal stuff. Once I got to know him was a good guy and as an attorney did some very nice things for people in need.

He will be missed. 

Shit.  He was a good dude.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

He will be missed. 

I used to enjoy sparring with Sean - and he gave plenty back.  That was in the good old days of SA, when the shit fights were legendary.    

I remember a particularly good jibe one Anarchist made about Sean, referring to his skills as an attorney - something like:

"I suspect that most of SC's clients are in jail, which probably explains his fixation about guns for personal protection". Classic.

RIP Sean, sorry to hear of your passing.

1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

He will be missed. 

Sean was stirring shit around the sailing interwebs from the beginning - I remember some fun sparring session on the old Sailing World forum before SA.  RIP buddy, it was fun times...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LeCanard said:

new entry:  Marie Fredriksson at age 61.

Well she fulfilled the "leave a beautiful corpse" part of the old saying.

4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

No.  

If I really need to know that someone died, I would hear about it before an obit appeared.  

Apparently I don't share this obsession with death, especially strangers, that others here have.

No schadenfreude in your soul?

No-one whose death would have you ask "Did he suffer"? :D

• Like 1

Death is a part of life. Seems I've been surrounded by it my entire adult life. Family, friends, coworkers, various musicians and other famous people and LOTS of people I didn't even know but played a part in their and their families journey. I have no issue with each observation of a passing. Some resonate, some I just scroll by. 

Yeah......my turn is coming....I'm good.

• Like 1

If Scot would get of his high horse and do something like create an "In Memory of" forum, it might look like he cared about something other than BS Politics.
Then, Sailors could really see who has passed.

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Death is a part of life. Seems I've been surrounded by it my entire adult life.

I'm reminded of that great Raymond Chandler line;

"Trouble is my business" ;)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I'm reminded of that great Raymond Chandler line;

"Trouble is my business" ;)

:lol:

2 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

it might look like he cared about something

erm

he doesn't

RIP Sean Cody, one of the originals here. Sad to learn of his passing. 

13 hours ago, d'ranger said:

He will be missed. 

That's really said to hear.  I wondered what happened to him.  RIP SC.