QBF

Human Composting - for those who really want to go green

The World’s First Human Composting Facility is Coming to Seattle in 2021
https://themindunleashed.com/2019/12/human-composting-facility-seattle-2021.html

In a move hailed as a positive step by environmentalists, Washington became the first U.S. state to legalize the composting of human bodies in May of this year.

And now, the Evergreen State will become home to the world’s first human composting facility in 2021 thanks to Katrina Spade, founder and CEO of Recompose, after the legislation she helped enact goes into effect in May 2020.

human-composting-facility-seattle-2021.png.a3c2f66e98b0d36ce4efcc16ccf266fb.png

According to its website, Spade founded the revolutionary company with the goal of offering “natural organic reduction to the public,” a system that converts human remains into soil as an alternative to cremation or burial.

composting.jpg.b30b00f54a9b219ff506de63b1d1217a.jpg

*   “By converting human remains into soil, we minimize waste, avoid polluting groundwater with embalming fluid, and prevent the emissions of CO2 from cremation and from the manufacturing of caskets, headstones, and grave liners."

* " By allowing organic processes to transform our bodies and those of our loved ones into a useful soil amendment, we help to strengthen our relationship to the natural cycles while enriching the earth.”

6075172850_3a012d2df6_b.thumb.jpg.ef6e93acf8fc7f166d72bd31dfb0b1da.jpg

Can Soylent Green be far behind?

Burying people in a hole to be broken down by microorganisms is what people have been doing for millennia. The use of enbalming fluid and impervious metal boxes is a recent phenomenon. I have no problem with this.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, IStream said:

Burying people in a hole to be broken down by microorganisms is what people have been doing for millennia. The use of enbalming fluid and impervious metal boxes is a recent phenomenon. I have no problem with this.

all the serial killers will now move to seattle ,  as now you won't be able to exhume the body....   and that top pic, sure seems like a lot of space for one body,

When I first moved to Seattle in the early 1990's, it seemed like all the serial killers were already here.

1 hour ago, IStream said:

Exactly. 

Have you ever wondered why those little ancient churches in English villages seem to sit in a sort of dip? 

Hundreds of years of burying bodies in the churchyard raises the ground level quite a lot.

Image result for english village churches"

6 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Exactly. 

Have you ever wondered why those little ancient churches in English villages seem to sit in a sort of dip? 

Hundreds of years of burying bodies in the churchyard raises the ground level quite a lot.

just got to learn to leave a little excess dirt, for when the body breaks down to fill the cavity... works in my backyard..

This is nothing new...  there have been "ala nat-u-ral" burials for a long time now...  brought real meaning to the term "pushing up the daises.."

Not all states allow this as the issue has to do with the depth of the grave as the natural graves a shallower.. 

I like the Himalayan cultures where they leave the corpse on the mountain and the vultures pick them clean down to the bones. 

That's recycling too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Hopefully this will drive out the ridiculous mortuary biz.

+1 to that. I went through that recently with my dad. The business of pickling (embalming) and burying people is a major rip off.  Why can't we just put a person in the ground and let nature take its course? 

Canvas wrap, a couple stones and drop them in deep water. Crabs gotta eat too.

Kalifornia once again sets the trend

We have people composting everywhere

8 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

If that caught on it could possibly cripple the commercial crabbing industry.  I'm not one of them but there are a lot of squeamish people out there nowadays.

One of the best places to find crabs is near sewer outfalls.

When I'm done with this failing manky old body of mine, it's going to be cooked to a crisp, and interred beneath an old growth redwood tree in a forest in Mendocino.

Dust to dust, ashes to ashes.  Nothing wrong with a bit of recycling.

https://www.betterplaceforests.com/

1 hour ago, DA-WOODY said:

Kalifornia once again sets the trend

We have people composting everywhere

There was a television series about that back in the 1970’s, called “The Shits of San Francisco.”

38 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

One of the best places to find crabs is near sewer outfalls.

Why would anyone want crabs. I had them once in my teenage years after spending the night with a loose woman.  I don’t recommend them!

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

My cousin does these.... I inquired about it and they are not cheap and there are some EPA and USCG regs involved.

Cardboard box and in the oven until done is the most inexpensive way.  Last check was $700 for the complete package...    

1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

When I'm done with this failing manky old body of mine, it's going to be cooked to a crisp, and interred beneath an old growth redwood tree in a forest in Mendocino.

nah,  slathered in bbq sauce and tossed to the sharks...

25 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

My cousin does these.... I inquired about it and they are not cheap and there are some EPA and USCG regs involved.

Cardboard box and in the oven until done is the most inexpensive way.  Last check was $700 for the complete package...    

In Minnesota we were required to buy a casket. some state law IIRC. Fucking racket.

Damn, it's actually a "thing"

Atlantic and Pacific® Burial Shroud

Atlantic Full Body Burial Shroud

The Atlantic and Pacific® Burial Shroud was designed as an affordable, respectful, environmentally-safe alternative to wooden and steel caskets for use during full body burials at sea. It maintains the traditional casket shape, can be partially unzipped with for “open casket” viewing and includes a memory pouch for a photograph of your loved one. It is weighted with traditional cannonballs (165 lbs) created by the same blacksmiths that forge the ceremonial cannonballs for the oldest commissioned warship on the planet the U.S.S Constitution, “Old Ironsides”

I've had this site bookmarked for years and like the idea...however I'll probably go with a National Cemetery

https://kinkaraco.com/

I've also thought about having my cremains frozen into a slurry of chum and have it tossed into the cut on an out going tide with a full moon rising ..fond memories of the location

on Biscayne Bay

sands cut.jpg

37 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

$700??? When is the last time you checked?

When I was back home last year I talked to our family funeral director to pre-plan my funeral, it saves lot of stress and hassle on  the survivors. We've known them for years and I went to school with the current owner that took over from her father, who knew my father.  I want a basic cremation, paid obituary and my ashes scattered, so no burial, plot, etc.  In Pennsylvania they have to give you an itemized list all broken down.  I paid in at the time, and they guarantee the price no matter how long it is until you need the services.  The cremation will take place in Poland and then the my cremains, minus a handful to scatter here will be sent back to the US  for my daughter to scatter some of me in Lake Erie and the rest in my favorite trout stream. The total was $3,000.  Who knew that funeral directors can call a number and get a quote for a cremation almost anywhere in the world!   When we knew my mother was terminally ill more than 35 years ago, I went to them to plan the arrangements in advance.  When the time came we just called and they did everything we wanted, I was so happy I made the arrangements beforehand.  The cost back then for a simple cremation and an urn and interment in the family cemetery plot was about $1,800.  My father joined her in 2004, I don't remember what that one cost, I wasn't in the US until afterward.

One thing I have learned.  If you are dead and not embalmed or buried, just refrigerated, you will 'go green' after a time, no problem.

Don't ask me how I know this.

1 minute ago, Ed Lada said:

One thing I have learned.  If you are dead and not embalmed or buried, just refrigerated, you will 'go green' after a time, no problem.

Don't ask me how I know this.

accidentally unplug the freezer  running the floor buffer ?

slime.jpg

1 minute ago, BravoBravo said:

accidentally unplug the freezer  running the floor buffer ?

slime.jpg

Haha!  Nice try, but no.

Cardboard box and a hot fire. I’ve travelled the world and sailed in all but the Black Sea, arctic and Antarctic.

When going through cancer treatment a couple of years ago and before I went in to 6 hours of surgery, I wrote some letters. 2 of them to my wife. 1 was as you might expect. The second one restated my last wishes and where I wished my ashes to be scattered and by whom. One anarchist got tapped to deal with the rest and several anarchists are on the list. 

When you see the IB DTS thread, you might get a call. You never know. 

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

In Minnesota we were required to buy a casket. some state law IIRC. Fucking racket.

Particle board.

57 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

When I was back home last year I talked to our family funeral director to pre-plan my funeral, it saves lot of stress and hassle on  the survivors. We've known them for years and I went to school with the current owner that took over from her father, who knew my father.  I want a basic cremation, paid obituary and my ashes scattered, so no burial, plot, etc.  In Pennsylvania they have to give you an itemized list all broken down.  I paid in at the time, and they guarantee the price no matter how long it is until you need the services.  The cremation will take place in Poland and then the my cremains, minus a handful to scatter here will be sent back to the US  for my daughter to scatter some of me in Lake Erie and the rest in my favorite trout stream. The total was $3,000.  Who knew that funeral directors can call a number and get a quote for a cremation almost anywhere in the world!   When we knew my mother was terminally ill more than 35 years ago, I went to them to plan the arrangements in advance.  When the time came we just called and they did everything we wanted, I was so happy I made the arrangements beforehand.  The cost back then for a simple cremation and an urn and interment in the family cemetery plot was about $1,800.  My father joined her in 2004, I don't remember what that one cost, I wasn't in the US until afterward.

Summer of 2018 when I redid my trust.. 

https://www.simpleventura.com/

2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Damn, it's actually a "thing"

Atlantic and Pacific® Burial Shroud

Atlantic Full Body Burial Shroud

The Atlantic and Pacific® Burial Shroud was designed as an affordable, respectful, environmentally-safe alternative to wooden and steel caskets for use during full body burials at sea. It maintains the traditional casket shape, can be partially unzipped with for “open casket” viewing and includes a memory pouch for a photograph of your loved one. It is weighted with traditional cannonballs (165 lbs) created by the same blacksmiths that forge the ceremonial cannonballs for the oldest commissioned warship on the planet the U.S.S Constitution, “Old Ironsides”

Contact him if you're interested... he can hook you up with someone out here

https://www.newenglandburialsatsea.com/tag/capt-brad-white/

I don't know about you lot, but I plan to shuffle off this mortal coil with enough tequila residue inside of me that I'll decompose sometime in 2553.

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

I don't know about you lot, but I plan to shuffle off this mortal coil with enough tequila residue inside of me that I'll decompose sometime in 2553.

Howe manney bottelles cane you gette up theire?                              :)

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I like the Himalayan cultures where they leave the corpse on the mountain and the vultures pick them clean down to the bones. 

That's recycling too.

We already have a similar system already, just that it happens before you die. They keep you alive in a vegetative state until the vultures have picked through you assets and bank accounts.

• Like 2

This reminds me of being on a visit to the Holy Land with my wife and MIL. The MIL died and I got costs to get her body sent back home. Guy explained it would be around 20k to send the body home, but only 3k to bury where we were.

Told him I didn't care about the money because they once buried someone and he came back to life. Didn't want to take the chance of her coming back.

47 minutes ago, sailingk8 said:

I have no problem being mulched.

You deserve better K8. :D

15 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Ashes To Ammo: How To Reload Your Dead Loved One

https://www.npr.org/2011/10/09/141195224/ashes-to-ammo-how-to-reload-your-dead-loved-one?t=1575970028630

"I want my ashes placed into some good turkey-load shotgun shells," Parnell said. That way, someone could go kill a turkey with him, Holmes tells Robert Smith, host of weekends on All Things Considered.

"He could rest in peace, knowing that one more turkey, the last thing he saw, was Clem screaming at him at 900 feet per second."

This'll give the guys a laugh at the wake. :P

18 hours ago, nacradriver said:

That's what my Dad wanted - cremation, then take him outta Rudee Inlet to our favorite fishing hole.  After we gave him to the ocean, a pod of dolphins came up to check us out, and swam w/us almost back to the creek.  Dad woulda liked that. 

19 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Again, read Sloop's point 

Crab you totally missed my humor. Do yourself a favour and put on on Ignore.

17 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Earlier this year I checked the local cremation society site and they were $1,800 for a basic cremation.

19 hours ago, QBF said:

Why would anyone want crabs. I had them once in my teenage years after spending the night with a loose woman.  I don’t recommend them!

I should have used a smiley face as my reference was to the proximity of your crab action to said loose woman's sewer outlet. Cracks me up. 

About $1800 here in Florida.  This provides pick up anywhere in the US.  They said if you travel overseas you can get a policy that covers most of the rest of the world.  Rules vary and sometimes you can't be cremated in various countries and are therefore flown home for the BBQ.