Sign in to follow this  
Great Red Shark

Motorsport videos that don't suck

• Like 1

Legendary ... A.J. Foyt works on his own car in the pit at 3:36. He then went on to be attacked by killer bees on his ranch, twice, and he's still alive to this day. They don't make 'em like A.J. anymore ...

• Downvote 2

You call that a clutch explosion?

This is a clutch explosion.

don-garlits.jpg

12 minutes ago, cyclone said:

Wow...just wow.  The tough and fast machinery, the varied and difficult conditions, the varied track configurations and the drivers.  The drivers...who somehow maintain those speeds whilst seemingly heading into a human wave.   Wow...just wow.

1 hour ago, cyclone said:

Some days my commute to work feels like that...  out of my way MFs

Great stuff! 

12 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

and to think, they were going to take those 6 daytona's  and dump them into the north sea because they didn't want to pay to ship them back to the US...   forget who paid out of their pocket to ship them back...    I wonder how much that daytona he's driving in the video is worth..

pikes peak hill climb

i've been up that road twice , once on my motorcycle with a passenger and in a car,  the road to the top hadn't been paved the whole way like this video..  this video is fucking insane,  can't imagine the race before they paved it..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

and to think, they were going to take those 6 daytona's  and dump them into the north sea because they didn't want to pay to ship them back to the US...   forget who paid out of their pocket to ship them back...    I wonder how much that daytona he's driving in the video is worth..

The last one that sold went for $6 Mil IIRC.

Back then obsolete race cars were essentially just scrap - Ford gave a GT40 roadster (one of two) plus all the spare windshields and a 4 cam Indy engine to Dean Jeffries because he painted some race cars for them.

Since it's now the only one it's essentially priceless but worth at least 7 and probably 8 figures.

Jeffries also built the Mantaray on a pre-war Maserati F1 chassis his FIL or someone gave him. He later said it was probably a mistake - with the rise in prices he should have restored it - hindsight and all that. I imagine the Mantaray is still worth a few bucks though.

image.png.c5646f004b36232032d8bf6300df1538.png

Coupla good ones there boys,  thanks.

I liked my first on about Cale because of the era - they didn't even bring a back up car to Daytona.  Times have changed in NASCAR.  The second one, while a little mellowdramatic does convey the story of the '55 disaster pretty well,  and the last one - well...did YOU know that a Kiwi helped form the CobraGT?  Love those stories from the actual players of the time.

Wish I had some video of back in the day when I crewed on a sprint car and we ran out at Colorado National Sppedway, when it was dirt. That was racing. Tight track, close open wheel racing, lots of banging around and terrific crashes. Fights in the pits. 

Unreal when the World of Outlaws boys were in town.

For example choose one of these videos.

Linky

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Windward said:

Guy Martin has always been one of my favorite riders - would be a great public speaker too, if only you could understand him :P

9 hours ago, sail69 said:

Wow...just wow.  The tough and fast machinery, the varied and difficult conditions, the varied track configurations and the drivers.  The drivers...who somehow maintain those speeds whilst seemingly heading into a human wave.   Wow...just wow.

Here is the full documentary on Group B, and it's ultimate demise:

1 hour ago, cyclone said:

She was every bit as good as the boys - better than most - and she was a hottie to boot.

image.png.0f5fe1a1b944d0a6e1338b93d3c0ad26.png

IMO those people were THE best drivers of all, ever. Their car control, especially of those insane B's, was nothing short of superhuman.

5 hours ago, bmiller said:

Talk about an "Oh Shit!" moment.

When Nigell Mansell  was racing F1 there were some fabulously entertaining races.... 

13 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

pikes peak hill climb

i've been up that road twice , once on my motorcycle with a passenger and in a car,  the road to the top hadn't been paved the whole way like this video..  this video is fucking insane,  can't imagine the race before they paved it..

They ruined it when they paved it. Sometimes, the fun of motor sports is the inevitable ... like racing school buses on a figure 8 track. What mad, beautiful genius first thought to do that?

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

like racing school buses on a figure 8 track. What mad, beautiful genius first thought to do that?

Figure 8 trailer racing is even better.

Comedy gold. I don't think I've ever seen anything that had more people laughing - the absolute ultimate redneck entertainment.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

I was there in 1975. IIRC, three dead, all spectators who crashed and died on "open road" days. I rode around the course on a Honda 750 at mostly legal speeds. Racing there at today's speeds is insane.

Big massive huge balls required.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Comedy gold. I don't think I've ever seen anything that had more people laughing - the absolute ultimate redneck entertainment.

I just watched some on the tube, gorgeous desolation by minute 5 or so, the crossover looked the way Nauru must have looked when all those phosphate-bought Lambos plowed into each other.

12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I don't think so...

I saw Viileneuve in what I recall was his last race in Formula Atlantic.

That was a pretty high level series - a farm league for F1 at the time.

He was so much better than the rest that he looked like an F1 driver racing against a bunch of club racers. It was obvious he was going to be a great.

8 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Arguably the best single fight in F1.

Always loved watching Gilles in action - equal parts skill, passion, and balls of steel.

Cheers!

10 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Arguably the best single fight in F1.

When I saw this thread pop up, I thought I need to post the Arnoux Villeneuve battle - you beat me to it!

Still amazes me to watch them fight it out, both on the furthest edge of control (or sometimes just beyond), but with immense respect for each other, always leaving just enough space. Modern F1 drivers could learn a thing or two about this...

the finish that put NASCAR on the map

Daytona 500 finish 1979.  Still remember watching this live..

backstory...

On 12/10/2019 at 5:25 PM, warbird said:

When Nigell Mansell  was racing F1 there were some fabulously entertaining races.... 

I especially liked when he pushed his car across the finish in USGP 80s